or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Google Search in a New Tab

Google Search in a New Tab

post #1 of 9
One of the reasons I like Firefox is I can highlight words, right click, and "Search Google" which opens in a new tab. Safari can right click to search Google, but it opens the new page within the same window. Is there any software to have the Google search open in a new tab? Maybe this should be a feature request.

Safari v4.0.3
post #2 of 9
Hold down the Command key.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Hold down the Command key.

Thanks, that's something that's bothered me for a while too.

Shame Apple don't make it more simple/intuitive, but I guess that's the same for many elements in Mac's UI.
post #4 of 9
I'm sorry but I just tried highlighting a word and holding command and nothing happened. I believe what you mean is you can open a link in a new tab by holding command. Try opening Firefox and control-click or right-click a word to see "Search Google for ..." to understand what I mean. So simple and convenient.
post #5 of 9
Found the answer:

"Holding down command while selecting "Search in Google" from the context menu opens the Google search in a new tab"

Although I wish there was an option in preferences for the Google search to open in a new tab or window. Just to make things simpler.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw View Post

Thanks, that's something that's bothered me for a while too.

Shame Apple don't make it more simple/intuitive, but I guess that's the same for many elements in Mac's UI.

What could be more simple than holding down a button? Jeeze Louise already.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What could be more simple than holding down a button? Jeeze Louise already.

Not holding down a button; that requires less effort or thought.

The point is, why should a user have to guess which button to press? how would a user know to do this? I didn't, hanguolaohu didn't. Apple's UI is not as easy to use/learn in some instances as MS Windows XP, prettier sure, but function is sometimes more important than form.
post #8 of 9
I'm traveling so I'm using the trackpad on my Macbook Pro. That means I must hold down 2 buttons, first the control button then click, then the command button then click. I surf a lot and open dozens of tabs per day, so this makes a difference to me, and one more reason why I use Firefox over Safari.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post

...That means I must hold down 2 buttons, first the control button then click...

You can set in your preferences the option to 'right click' by clicking with two fingers on the track pad I believe.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Google Search in a New Tab