or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share - Page 4

post #121 of 220
Personal anecdote alert:

I have been using Windows PCs at home ever since my family bought our first back in the late 90's - a Pentium 266 MHz running Windows 95.

I acquired my first Mac a year ago via trade, but had to sell it a few months later for financial reasons. It was old by today's standards - a PowerMac G4 with an upgraded Sonnet PPC Dual CPU 1.3 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, and a 128MB nVidia graphics card with dual monitor support.

In the few months I owned that machine, I was "converted" to Macs forever.

Never before had I experienced such seemless harmony between hardware and software in a computer. I found OS X to be so much more intuitive, more in accord with how I thought a computer operating system should look and function than Windows Vista or XP.

I found it refreshing to not have to run "Disk Cleanup" and "Defragmenter" utilities every couple of weeks (or sooner) or download a 3rd party utility to clean up and maintain a bloated, inefficient registry. It was so nice to not have to download the free anti-virus and anti-spyware software of my choice and configure it to update and scan regularly.

I found these and other things I had come to accept as necessary for the operation and maintenance of a computer were either much improved and more intuitive, automated, or even unneccesary and irrelevant on my Mac.

When I sold it, I noted that the resale value was much higher than it would have been for a Windows PC of the same specs and age.

I have since acquired a 20" iMac G5 1.8GHz (on eBay for $255 + free shipping) and I have to say it feels great to be a Mac owner once again.

I also have a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate RTM, and while I will readily and gladly admit that Windows 7 is a great improvement over Vista, the fact remains that those little things associated with maintaining, operating and protecting a Windows machine still remain.

While I can see the strengths and weaknesses of both machines (which is why I have them both), I get more joy out of my 5 year old iMac than that newer Windows 7 machine.

People are discovering Macs and Apple products now more than ever, and they are having similar experiences to mine. They are saying to themselves "wow...this is how a computer should work", and they are regretting not having checked Macs out sooner.

While I agree that Ballmer and Microsoft should be more worried about Google at this point, the fact that Ballmer seems to be focusing so much on competing with Apple on so many levels is indicative that there is a fundamental shift happening in the way people use computers and gadgets. There is a fundamental shift in what people want.

The economic recession has not diminished the demand for Macs and Apple products - it has enhanced it. People are looking for impeccable quality, lasting value, and first-class customer service.

Apple has it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #122 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Of course there are the obvious differences that are so often pointed out, but there are also very subtle differences that have a major impact on the user experience. For example, the mouse drivers on Mac OS give a much more natural and precise feel than those on Windows, and the way text selection works in various controls is far superior on the Mac. If I sat down to list all these little things that add up to a very large difference, I'm sure the number would run to hundreds, but the basic theme is that Apple pays far more attention to small details than Microsoft does.

During the winter here, my girlfriend was forced to work at home due to travel disruption. She had never used a Mac for business uses and was trying to operate it like a PC. She was pulling bits of information from the internet, together with other documents and pictures. She was selecting text and going to the edit menu, selecting copy, then pasting it into notepad to get rid of the formatting, then copy and paste into word and then reformating it. I then said to her, forget how a PC works and do what you would prefer to do to achieve the same task. She selected the text and then dragged it to where she wanted it, let go of the mouse and it worked. Same with pictures, and the other data. She then found the various other tools to grap screen areas, etc. She found it a lot easier and more intuitive. I've since shown her how automator works as well as grapher and other nice tools. She now prefers to work at home on the Mac as it's easier.
post #123 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

I never have owned a PC that was not a piece of garbage

me neither!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

and I have never owned a windows product that was not also a piece of garbage.

me neither!

But then... wait... I never owned any PC or Windows product at all
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
post #124 of 220
Ok, we are aware that MS is offering Apple Stores staff more money to work in it's stores, so I pose a few questions to you all.

How much money would MS have to pay you to;
1. Give up your Macs, iPods and iPhones and only work with PCs, Zune, WinMobile phones from now on?
2. Spread the word of how wonderful MS Windows, Zune, WinMobile, etc are?
3. if you worked in an Apple Store (with benefits such as staff discounts!!), to move to an MS store?

Phil
post #125 of 220
I thought the 'rounding error' was Ballmer's big fat butt bouncing round the stage while he was doing the monkey dance.

As a point of reference, IIRC the '91% of the $1,000 market' statistic only applied to sales through brick and mortar stores, and did not include online sales, so that caveat needs to be added.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #126 of 220
I think Balmer owns Apple stock and is just looking for a low price entry point.

:P
post #127 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Steve Ballmer Delusion Tour:


Ballmer: Apple wont dominate the smartphone market - September 25, 2009
Microsoft CEO Ballmer gets $25,000 raise as company profit plummets 17% - September 19, 2009
Ballmer grabs Apple iPhone from Microsoft employee and stomps it into ground - September 11, 2009
Steve Ballmer calls Apples Mac market share growth a rounding error - July 31, 2009
In a roomful of Macs, Ballmer promises really amazing non-Apple PC hardware coming this Christmas - July 30, 2009
Ballmer attempts to laugh off Googles Chrome OS challenge - July 14, 2009
Ballmer: Bad economy is good news for us; wholl pay $500 for an Apple logo now? - March 20, 2009
Whos afraid of Apple? Not Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer - March 06, 2009
Microsoft CEO Ballmer dismisses Apples iPhone as hype, says Windows Mobile has market momentum - February 28, 2009
Update: Office 14 slips to 2010, Microsoft copies Apple some more, Ballmer still nuts - February 24, 2009
House Democratic Caucus resort retreat to host Microsoft CEO Ballmer to talk innovation - February 04, 2009
Ballmer ordered to testify in Vista Capable class-action lawsuit - November 22, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer implicated in Vista Capable debacle - November 14, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer dismisses Google Android as financially unsound - November 06, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer says Windows 7 is Vista, just a lot better - October 17, 2008
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer doesnt know that Macs can run Windows - October 06, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer advises Apple to separate iPhone hardware and software - October 02, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer: Apples iPhone and Mac will lose - September 26, 2008
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmers retirement date: Never - September 22, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer on why Apple is thriving - July 24, 2008
Ballmer idea drought: Microsoft shareholders concerned - July 24, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer: Im outta here in 9 or 10 years; as soon as my last kid goes away to college - June 05, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer grilled at Four Seasons resort; Windows 7 yet another attempt to copycat Apple - June 03, 2008
Gates, Ballmer preview Windows 7: Multi-Touch and a Dock; Steve Jobs must be so proud - May 28, 2008
Microsoft CEO Ballmer continues to overstate Zune market share - October 08, 2007
Ballmer: Vista doesnt get done by three people in a garage in three days - July 27, 2007
Ballmer: R&D is how Microsoft stays ahead - May 24, 2007
Ballmer: I run every morning - May 24, 2007
Microsofts Ballmer: No chance Apple iPhone is going to get any significant market share - April 30, 2007
Ballmer: Apple not a hot brand, our partners will make look-alike iPhones, I gotta go - March 27, 2007
Microsoft CEO Ballmer talks infected feet, profuse sweating, and Windows Vista - February 21, 2007
Ballmer says pirates to blame for poor Vista sales - February 19, 2007
Ballmer calls Apple cute, little tiny niche guy - February 15, 2007
Microsoft CEO Ballmer laughs at Apple iPhone - January 17, 2007
Ballmer: Zunes Wi-Fi will help Microsoft challenge Apples iPod+iTunes - November 14, 2006
Ballmer: Im Microsofts primary champion of innovation - July 27, 2006
Microsoft CEO Ballmer spends two days unsuccessfully trying to clean Windows PC malware - June 05, 2006
Couldnt you just buy a Mac and run Windows? Microsoft CEO Ballmer: No, we prefer real PCs - April 29, 2006
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admits to brainwashing his kids not to use Apple iPods - March 28, 2006
Microsoft CEO Ballmer promises amazing wave of innovation in 2006 - March 23, 2006
Microsofts Ballmer: Its true, some of Windows Vistas features are kissing cousins to Mac OS X - September 18, 2005
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: We love to be first - January 25, 2005
Microsoft CEO Ballmer: Apple iPod users are music thieves - October 04, 2004
Microsoft CEO Ballmer on the digital home: There is no way that you can get there with Apple - October 03, 2004

The Donger say -- you need a hobby or girlfriend. But not my sexy American girlfriend.
post #128 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

I never have owned a PC that was not a piece of garbage and I have never owned a windows product that was not also a piece of garbage. Garbage is still garbage no matter how cheap it is.

You know the hardware inside a mac right now is the same hardware available for PCs right? That's like making fun of a Chevrolet Camaro when you own a Pontiac Firebird.
post #129 of 220
So Steve Ballmer says that MS is all about lower costs and that consumers get it and are cost conscious now, so my question is is why does Windows 7 still cost more than Snow Leopard. I mean if MS were really about lowering costs (as if they really care to) then they would really lower the prices of their software such as Windows and their Office programs. But have they? only by a smidgen.

Steve Ballmer is a salesperson so he is really good (or really not) at blowing crap thru his mouth. He's squirting nothing but bullsh*t.
post #130 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandal View Post

me neither!


me neither!

But then... wait... I never owned any PC or Windows product at all

You're just as qualified to bash Windows as 99% of the PC users who bash Mac are!!!
post #131 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

There are some great advantages of having PCs at work.

It takes ages to boot up, connect to the network, load all of the security software and system tray tools, so I can have a nice coffee, chat to my colleagues and have a pleasant 30 mins start to the day.

Then, it works really slowly, with all of that security software so I don't have to work too hard. My manager understands when I don't achieve everything he wanted me to because he has a PC as well, and knows how slow they are.

And when it crashes or freezes, like it does about 2 or 3 times a day, I have more breaks!

I hope my company doesn't do an assessment of how much money it would save switching to Mac!!!!

Macs and IT wouldn't mix.
post #132 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Macs and IT wouldn't mix.

Good point. IT guys wanting to hold on to their jobs in this economy are certainly not going to recommend switching to anything that would make their positions unnecessary!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #133 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

So Steve Ballmer says that MS is all about lower costs and that consumers get it and are cost conscious now, so my question is is why does Windows 7 still cost more than Snow Leopard. I mean if MS were really about lowering costs (as if they really care to) then they would really lower the prices of their software such as Windows and their Office programs. But have they? only by a smidgen.

Steve Ballmer is a salesperson so he is really good (or really not) at blowing crap thru his mouth. He's squirting nothing but bullsh*t.

I think the point is you can pick up a PC for 500 dollars and it comes with the OS already installed... unless you are upgrading an old PC their isn't any extra cost to getting Windows 7. Sure that 500.00 PC is no where near what you get with your 1199 iMac but that's not the point... it's a numbers game and Joe blow with 500.00 to spend can't afford the difference regardless of the experience he will have with said products.
post #134 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

You know the hardware inside a mac right now is the same hardware available for PCs right? That's like making fun of a Chevrolet Camaro when you own a Pontiac Firebird.

I guess you never home-built your own PC before? Tell me if you can tell the difference between a cheap motherboard and an expensive motherboard. One works reliably and the other causes blue-screens of death or other problems. You never use the cheapest components when building your own PC. But hey, I guess to you, it's still all the same.
post #135 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I think the point is you can pick up a PC for 500 dollars and it comes with the OS already installed... unless you are upgrading an old PC their isn't any extra cost to getting Windows 7. Sure that 500.00 PC is no where near what you get with your 1199 iMac but that's not the point... it's a numbers game and Joe blow with 500.00 to spend can't afford the difference regardless of the experience he will have with said products.

True point, but Microsoft still doesn't sell a PC. They sell software. They should be speaking on their own terms of territory.
post #136 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

You know the hardware inside a mac right now is the same hardware available for PCs right? That's like making fun of a Chevrolet Camaro when you own a Pontiac Firebird.

Except that one runs OS X and has the highest customer satisfaction rates in the industry, while the other doesn't.
post #137 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionbug View Post

ballmer speaks like an undereducated kid. I wonder why Microsoft shareholder allows someone like him stay at the helm of Microsoft.


Maybe because he is Caucasian?
post #138 of 220
Ballmers IQ is also a rounding error.
post #139 of 220
Gosh, Ballmer. Things must be getting desperate in Redmond. Mounting an offensive effort like this only happens when Microsoft is already taking a defensive posture.
post #140 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

While I agree with your last sentence, and the bit about Photoshop, I don't agree at all with the larger point.

Although you say you do not agree, I cannot find any point on which we are not in total agreement. If you mean the bit that I don't see much difference in the 3 platforms and you do, let me try to be more specific by offering an example: BMW, Chevy, Toyota. Very similar. Bentley, KIA, Kenworth. Very different. I think it is simply a matter of degrees, but I would argue that the former is a more accurate comparison than the later in the OS situation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I use Linux at work (mostly because that's what our servers run and it's just simpler to use the same OS and my other choice was Windows, which just isn't nearly as stable) ...

EDIT: And I forgot to even raise the stability issue. My uptime on Mac OS is basically the period between system updates. I don't think very many Windows users can claim that.

No you didn't forget to mention stability.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #141 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Maybe because he is Caucasian?

do you know what caucasian is? look it up in the dictionary...
he's definitely not all caucasian i'd say...
post #142 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

May Apple enable flash on iPhone's Safari so I can actually use it consistently.

No thanks. You should write to all websites you use that require flash and tell them that there are about 50 million people using mobile safari alone that can't properly access their page (like the majority of mobile browsers). Then tell them that the most popular websites in the world have either eliminated flash entirely - opting for open and more efficient web standards instead - or at least provided suitable flash alternatives that do not sacrifice user experience.

Flash is on the way out, and considering it's owners never bothered to develop for the future (mobile browsing), I don't care if the door hits them in the ass. Cheers!
post #143 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although you say you do not agree, I cannot find any point on which we are not in total agreement. If you mean the bit that I don't see much difference in the 3 platforms and you do, let me try to be more specific by offering an example: BMW, Chevy, Toyota. Very similar. Bentley, KIA, Kenworth. Very different. I think it is simply a matter of degrees, but I would argue that the former is a more accurate comparison than the later in the OS situation.

Except for your point that they are pretty much the same. Of course, I don't think BMW, Chevy & Toyota are very similar either. But, I think a more apt car analogy would be Volvo (Linux), Lexus (Mac), Ford (Windows).

Quote:
No you didn't forget to mention stability.

Well, not Mac vs. Windows, originally. But, yeah, Windows pretty much loses out on the stability issue against all comers.
post #144 of 220
I consider myself to be a fair person. Mac has it''s place, so does Windows. But the more this guy talks, the more I want to remove Office from my Mac and use iWork exclusively. He literally reminds me of an insecure punk I use to know in school.
post #145 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

Then tell them that the most popular websites in the world have either eliminated flash entirely - opting for open and more efficient web standards instead - or at least provided suitable flash alternatives that do not sacrifice user experience.

...alternatives that do not sacrifice user experience [on an underpowered mobile device]

There is simply no real substitute for the elegant animation quality of Flash. In the case that a Flash designer was interested primarily in the presentation of a beautifully animated art piece instead of just placing static blocks of information on a page, any alternative provided will sacrifice user experience.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #146 of 220
Amazing this guy is the CEO of a major corporation. Goes to show you - in America, anyone can be a leader.
post #147 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

May Apple enable flash on iPhone's Safari so I can actually use it consistently.

Maybe if Adobe did something about the ridiculous load Flash puts on the processor it might make more sense to enable it on mobile (battery powered) devices. I don't even like running into it on my MacbookPro. It hogs the processor (easily checked by running "Activity Monitor") and causes the damn fans to be turned on to keep things from melting. Maybe Flash is fine for desktop platforms but with mobile in the process of displacing desktop we need better battery technology or standards that aren't spendthrifts with our limited batteries.
post #148 of 220
Ballmer = Fat, Stupid, Clueless, Gasbag.

Who cares what this guy says?
post #149 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Really looking for an answer, why does having the most popular browser matter? They are free and you can't really embed any advertising, that is done by the content provider, so why is this important?

Maybe an indication of computer usage?

What does it matter? What does it matter??
Until recently, MS has practically held the whole web hostage. MS software-produced websites are quite proprietary and lack a lot of support for open standards. This wasn't an accident. Viewing certain websites took (still take) IE so that you can get all that ActiveX, etc. crap to work properly).

MS also takes over projects and then re-releases them in a corrupted form, so that users have to comply with its proprietary standards (like what they did to Java). There's also SilverLight, their proprietary effort to replace Flash with a ubiquitous media wrapper. They hardly support PDFs and especially PNGs.

Servers running Windows are also a bunch of crap. I would never put a website on a Windows Server. Use Linux, and Apache and MySQL any day.

Most still think that a good website is one that works well in IE. When the actual truth is quite the opposite. Developers have to pull their hair out and write extra code for elements to have any kind of decent deprecation into something that works OK with the idiosyncrasies of IE without breaking their sites. It's the bane of creating a website. Developers have to dumb down what they are doing and can't rely on writing good, clean code.

Most developers I know of have said they are not supporting IE 6 from January 2010 on. But for some reason, millions of people still use this cludgy old piece of junk, and MS does not seem to encourage or help its users to upgrade.

MS has been dragged kicking and screaming toward supporting international web standards. They are still behind with IE8 let alone IE7.

MS is holding up the development and interoperability of the web, full stop.
post #150 of 220
Ballmer has got to be the most idiotic person in computing today. "Rounding error", yea right, it's so shocking that Apple and it's operating system Mac OS X, has gained more ground than Microsoft's virus ridden software. And the statement about the economy. ANYONE on the face of the planet will spend less over-all on a Mac than ANY windows driven PC. There's no taking it to the geek squad or whatever they are called. You buy a Mac that is built by unbelievably stringent standards, runs off the single most stable operating system and you just do your thing with it. No taking it in cause it got a virus, or a broken hard drive, that because PC's are built by like 30 different companies instead of the Mac which is designed in CA. and put together with parts from a very small number of different companies and only after Apple has stringently approved ahead of time.


Microsoft? They will put their OS in ANY old piece of junk laptop of desktop. Apple by far will cost you less in the long run.. Just ask the people like me that has a 10 year old eMac that runs as if right out of the box new. ( I use the new iMac, but only because I love the way the new intel based and recently redesigned computers are the bomb.)

The bottom line? Microsoft is garbage and the sweaty, bald, freak Ballmer is just doesn't even understand how people spend their money and yes even in this economy Macs are taking market share away from PC's because people are spending their money more carefully. And the last thing people want to do is buy a computer you need to yearly buy virus software and just plain have to replace a frozen blue screened HP, or whatever POS Windows machine you've bought. People are smarter than you think Ballmer. Macs last longer, run better, and just plain make more sense now than ever!!!
post #151 of 220
All the more reason to break up the horrendous Microsoft monopoly than ever then - DOJO better act quickly because according to Ballmer in 5 years MS will have ALL the worlds computer market share.
post #152 of 220
Ballmer forgets Steve Jobs statement during Macworld 97, saying for Apple to win, didn't mean MS had to lose.

No matter what, I consider Apple a big winner. Just 13 years ago, it was in a state of disarray whilst MS was the defacto PC system (Win95 a huge success). Yes, Apple had some die hard fans but was in dire trouble. In just 13 years, it has not only turned things around, but entered (created!?!) new markets, re-inventing itself and it's key products (a new Mac, is the same as an old Mac, but different [Different processor architecture, different OS architecture, but still the same UI, but tweaked]).

During the same 13 years, MS has lost it's way. Windows ME disaster number one, moving towards Vista, major disaster number 2, etc. Google having online applications that can edit MS Office documents, not achieving it's online goals.

More worryingly, is if you look at their finances, you see that things were on the up whilst Gates was in control, now with Ballmer, there are downward trends. I don't think it will be long before investers call for a new head of MS.

MS now needs to re-invent itself, just like Apple did 13 years ago. It needs to look at it's products, kill off those with limited futures and develop some truely innovative products. If it could deliver something like Courier, then it may just achieve what Apple has now done.

Ballmer may be able to BS like no other, but he is not the right person to lead the company through re-invention.
post #153 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I think the point is you can pick up a PC for 500 dollars and it comes with the OS already installed... unless you are upgrading an old PC their isn't any extra cost to getting Windows 7. Sure that 500.00 PC is no where near what you get with your 1199 iMac but that's not the point... it's a numbers game and Joe blow with 500.00 to spend can't afford the difference regardless of the experience he will have with said products.

80's BIOS vs. up to date EFI
Celeron's and Pentiums vs. C2D and i7
cheapest keyboard vs. Nice metal keyboard
talk to india vs. talk directly to a person
windows vs. OSX
bendable plastic shell vs. one piece of aluminum
useless OEM crap vs. iLife
good integration vs. best integration
opens apps in a few seconds vs. opens apps instantly
wannabe desktop compositing vs. we got it right
copy cat dock vs. we came up with the dock
pass the buck around vs. well, less passing the buck around
winrot vs. still going strong after years of use
how the hell did I get infected when I did nothing vs. no stupid avenues for virus infections

Macs aren't perfect either, and when PC OEMs make a computer on par with a Mac, they end up costing the same. Look at how much more Dell charges for US based support that in their own words, bypasses obvious troubleshooting steps.

Ballmer is so dumb. He brags about netbooks selling all the while knowing that he is making less money selling XP on them and Win7 will not help that either, because he will sell a cut version of it. Kinda hard to hide the OEM Windows Tax when netbooks cost around $350, isn't Ballmer.

OEMs don't make much off of netbooks either, nor do they make much of anything on $399 laptops. You and your OEMs can have your bottom feeder market Ballmer.
post #154 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Amazing this guy is the CEO of a major corporation. Goes to show you - in America, anyone can be a leader.

My goodness you hit the nail on the head. This sweaty, disgusting man has no sense about business and that even though the economy is bad people are going to buy a computer that will not break down in 6 months and get viruses you have to have nerds replace HD's for. People will always buy the best made product, bang for your buck no matter the economic situation. But I think Ballmer missed that post-it, Gates left on his iMac's screen, when Gates retired. Oh yea, I bet you there's more Macs being used now in even the MS offices. Hey people aren't dumb, they know what going on with the crap MS puts out.
post #155 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Really looking for an answer, why does having the most popular browser matter? They are free and you can't really embed any advertising, that is done by the content provider, so why is this important?

Maybe an indication of computer usage?

You don't think your visits are tracked?
post #156 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

80's BIOS vs. up to date EFI
Celeron's and Pentiums vs. C2D and i7
cheapest keyboard vs. Nice metal keyboard
talk to india vs. talk directly to a person
windows vs. OSX
bendable plastic shell vs. one piece of aluminum
useless OEM crap vs. iLife
good integration vs. best integration
opens apps in a few seconds vs. opens apps instantly
wannabe desktop compositing vs. we got it right
copy cat dock vs. we came up with the dock
pass the buck around vs. well, less passing the buck around
winrot vs. still going strong after years of use
how the hell did I get infected when I did nothing vs. no stupid avenues for virus infections

Macs aren't perfect either, and when PC OEMs make a computer on par with a Mac, they end up costing the same. Look at how much more Dell charges for US based support that in their own words, bypasses obvious troubleshooting steps.

Ballmer is so dumb. He brags about netbooks selling all the while knowing that he is making less money selling XP on them and Win7 will not help that either, because he will sell a cut version of it. Kinda hard to hide the OEM Windows Tax when netbooks cost around $350, isn't Ballmer.

OEMs don't make much off of netbooks either, nor do they make much of anything on $399 laptops. You and your OEMs can have your bottom feeder market Ballmer.

Nice rant... People in India are people too though. However the People Mac users speak to aren't reading out of the same manual or Help file you just read hours ago. They are actually thinking.
post #157 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

...alternatives that do not sacrifice user experience [on an underpowered mobile device]

There is simply no real substitute for the elegant animation quality of Flash. In the case that a Flash designer was interested primarily in the presentation of a beautifully animated art piece instead of just placing static blocks of information on a page, any alternative provided will sacrifice user experience.

Really? Most of the "elegant" animation I see on the web reminds me of the mind-numbingly stupid animation you see on local TV newscasts and commercials. Text that expands slightly, moves across the screen, etc. Unfortunately it is often written by people who seem to be less than impressive in their grasp of subjects I know well, which undermines my faith in the presence of actual intelligence. Don't misunderstand, I enjoy good animation but I don't equate it with user experience.
post #158 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Ballmer forgets Steve Jobs statement during Macworld 97, saying for Apple to win, didn't mean MS had to lose.

No matter what, I consider Apple a big winner. Just 13 years ago, it was in a state of disarray whilst MS was the defacto PC system (Win95 a huge success). Yes, Apple had some die hard fans but was in dire trouble. In just 13 years, it has not only turned things around, but entered (created!?!) new markets, re-inventing itself and it's key products (a new Mac, is the same as an old Mac, but different [Different processor architecture, different OS architecture, but still the same UI, but tweaked]).

During the same 13 years, MS has lost it's way. Windows ME disaster number one, moving towards Vista, major disaster number 2, etc. Google having online applications that can edit MS Office documents, not achieving it's online goals.

More worryingly, is if you look at their finances, you see that things were on the up whilst Gates was in control, now with Ballmer, there are downward trends. I don't think it will be long before investers call for a new head of MS.

MS now needs to re-invent itself, just like Apple did 13 years ago. It needs to look at it's products, kill off those with limited futures and develop some truely innovative products. If it could deliver something like Courier, then it may just achieve what Apple has now done.

Ballmer may be able to BS like no other, but he is not the right person to lead the company through re-invention.

By investors do you mean the 57% of investors that are MS Employee's?
post #159 of 220
Expecting to hear anything close to the truth out of that idiot Ballmer is like expecting anything close to the truth out of our idiot president Obama, the liberal democrats, and the rinos. They're all a bunch of rampant, lying jerks that need to be given a pink slip.

Scratch part of that.... Ballmer should keep his job. He's oddly entertaining to us Mac fanatics and is doing such a crappy job at MS that it only helps our cause to see more Macs in every office, home and school. I vow to never own another MS OS.
post #160 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Maybe because he is Caucasian?

Uh-oh a troll here?! On a Apple-centric website?

/yawn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share