or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone OS takes 40 percent of Web market share - study
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone OS takes 40 percent of Web market share - study

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
The iPhone and iPod touch dominate most of the world in the mobile Web browsing battle, taking a 40 percent global total that bests rival Nokia, a new study has found.

In its latest Mobile Metrics Report released Wednesday, AdMob discovered that the iPhone OS market share has increased 7 percent in the last six months, while Nokia's global share has dipped from 43 percent to 34 percent. Research in Motion carries 8 percent in the August report, Android with 7 percent, and Windows Mobile with 4 percent.

The iPhone is the dominant platform across the globe, taking the largest share in all regions except Asia and Africa, where Nokia's Symbian OS carries the lion's share. But in the U.S., the iPhone and iPod touch combine for a 52 percent share of the mobile Web market, with both devices the top handsets. For smartphones only, Apple is also on top, followed by the HTC Dream and Palm Pre at two and three, respectively.

AdMob's Mobile Metrics Report is based on Web and application use from the advertising company's 9,000 publishers and 3,000 applications worldwide. The study is representative of device usage, but does not necessarily reflect handset sales.

The study also found that Google's Android is being adopted rapidly in North America and Western Europe, where the HTC Magic (myTouch) is currently a top 10 smartphone. Month over month, use of Android grew 17 percent globally.



Though Nokia has lost its lead to Apple, the company still has the most handsets populating the list. The company has 12 of the top 20 smartphones in the global study, led by the Nokia N97 and 5800 Xpress Music.



Mobile Web browsing continues to grow, as well. The study found that there were 10.6 billion worldwide requests in August, a 9 percent increase from the previous month.
post #2 of 26
Us Hummers, we.
post #3 of 26
This is brilliant - apple mobile safari beats any other browser - multi-touch controls and fast loading just beat everything else. Still need flash support though how good would it be if someone hacked it so forward and backward was accellerometer. DareDevil 2 ftw lol
post #4 of 26
post #5 of 26
Sounds like 'rounding error' to me...
post #6 of 26
Another nail in MS Windows Mobile's coffin!!
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

Sounds like 'rounding error' to me...

LOL!
post #8 of 26
F*ck Flash
post #9 of 26
Looking at those numbers for North America and knowing that almost all iPhone data is only from AT&T with a few iPhones using T-Mobile USA’s Edge network, and that AT&T also has other devices using data, I would love to see a report that shows how much data each of the 4 main US carriers actually push through or at least a carrier comparison by percentage, not by OS vendor.


PS: AI, can you please make the images thumbnails to larger images that are easier to read?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhunter View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

He like's his strategy a lot!! I like the results a lot!!
post #11 of 26
What's even funnier is that he admitted a few days ago that Microsoft was wrong in it's mobile OS strategy.
post #12 of 26
Good, I hope this encourages web developers to steer away from Flash.

Also, I see the Nokia 6300 is in that list. I own one and it's the ultimate texting and calling cell phone, but how could anyone use that to browse the web? I put Opera Mini on it, but only for absolute emergencies. (which haven't occured yet) It has an iPod nano screen FFS...
post #13 of 26

The right hand side of this image kind of argues against one of the article's main premises which is that besides the iPhone story, WebOS and Android are also "coming on strong" (or words to that effect).

What it actually shows, is Apple dominating, and by that I mean ridiculously "over-the-top" dominating in smartphones for every single market they have chosen to compete in. It also shows that Apple's global strategy will easily crush all it's competitors who are clearly just thinking of the USA since almost none of the also-ran players even compete outside of the USA and in places where they try to, iPhone has already beaten them and all smartphone competition combined, rather handily.

Sure there is a blip in Western Europe for Android, but so what? Even if Android ultimately dominates the competition, it's pretty clear that iPhone has already "won" the race for the time being.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

F*ck Flash

Yeah, Flash is will go the way of the dodo unless they do some major overhauling of it (a lot of which probably isn't possible).

With HTML 5 around the corner & much of the video function of flash being replaced by an actual mp4 or ogg standard Adobe really doesn't have a chance. A 480p video in flash takes about 4 times the CPU as a 1080p video in H.264.

Silverlight is late to the game too, & like everything Microsoft they try to push garbage like WVC1 that is proprietary & requires Media Player 11 so sorry Mac users.
post #15 of 26
It's all about rich content, and the iPhone is #1 at delviering it, and it's been over two years now.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

This is brilliant - apple mobile safari beats any other browser - multi-touch controls and fast loading just beat everything else. Still need flash support though how good would it be if someone hacked it so forward and backward was accellerometer. DareDevil 2 ftw lol

It will never use Flash nor Silverlight.

HTML 5 Canvas/Video/Audio/SVG/SMIL/AJAX will be used in it's place.

Apple could also strike up an unlimited license deal with Adobe or Linotype and include them as WebFonts to use as well.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What it actually shows, is Apple dominating, and by that I mean ridiculously "over-the-top" dominating in smartphones for every single market they have chosen to compete in. It also shows that Apple's global strategy will easily crush all it's competitors who are clearly just thinking of the USA since almost none of the also-ran players even compete outside of the USA and in places where they try to, iPhone has already beaten them and all smartphone competition combined, rather handily.


What it actually shows is that Apple is dominating on AdMob network. Nothing more.

Or actually, it also shows how incompetent people shouldn't be anywhere near statistics if they don't have even the slightest clue how to view them without making idiotic statements. There's a reason why statistics is a science. I have studied quite a bit statistics in university and I can admit that I don't have a frickin clue about it. Luckily it's just a part of my major. But even I can see that those images and all AdMob's "stats" (or the stats are of course right but the way they are presented is totally wrong and misleading) are straight from hairy bottom.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-ap...-market-2009-9
post #18 of 26
post #19 of 26
There's some crazy-old Nokia phones on that list. The 7610 must be five years old. I would have assumed that anyone accessing the web would be upgrading their phone more often!
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Perduel View Post


What it actually shows is that Apple is dominating on AdMob network. Nothing more.

Or actually, it also shows how incompetent people shouldn't be anywhere near statistics if they don't have even the slightest clue how to view them without making idiotic statements. There's a reason why statistics is a science. I have studied quite a bit statistics in university and I can admit that I don't have a frickin clue about it. Luckily it's just a part of my major. But even I can see that those images and all AdMob's "stats" (or the stats are of course right but the way they are presented is totally wrong and misleading) are straight from hairy bottom.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-ap...-market-2009-9

Just remember, there are lies, damn lies and statistics...
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

There's some crazy-old Nokia phones on that list. The 7610 must be five years old. I would have assumed that anyone accessing the web would be upgrading their phone more often!

I suppose it's the new 7610 Supernova which was released in recent years, though I don't know when exactly. I don't think anyone would touch those half-ass mobile browsers again after trying out Safari.
post #22 of 26
Maybe I missed the part where it was claimed that iPhone OS had 40% of the smartphone market.

The AI article and the report it is based on makes it quite clear that what is being referred to is Mobile web browsing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Perduel View Post


What it actually shows is that Apple is dominating on AdMob network. Nothing more.

Or actually, it also shows how incompetent people shouldn't be anywhere near statistics if they don't have even the slightest clue how to view them without making idiotic statements. There's a reason why statistics is a science. I have studied quite a bit statistics in university and I can admit that I don't have a frickin clue about it. Luckily it's just a part of my major. But even I can see that those images and all AdMob's "stats" (or the stats are of course right but the way they are presented is totally wrong and misleading) are straight from hairy bottom.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-ap...-market-2009-9
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

I suppose it's the new 7610 Supernova which was released in recent years, though I don't know when exactly.

The 7610 Supernova isn't a smartphone. They're definitely talking about the original!
post #24 of 26
The key thing I get from this is that China must have an awful lot of people!
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone and iPod touch dominate most of the world in the mobile Web browsing battle, taking a 40 percent global total that bests rival Nokia, a new study has found.

In its latest Mobile Metrics Report released Wednesday, AdMob discovered that the iPhone OS market share has increased 7 percent in the last six months, while Nokia's global share has dipped from 43 percent to 34 percent. Research in Motion carries 8 percent in the August report, Android with 7 percent, and Windows Mobile with 4 percent.

I love Apple and want them to gain market share, but...not being funny but these figures are so obviously BS.

All this says it that iPhone apps use AdMob more than any other platform, which I'd definitely agree with as I'd never even seen or heard of AdMob myself until the iPhone started using them.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

I love Apple and want them to gain market share, but...not being funny but these figures are so obviously BS.

Why are they BS, exactly? Not being relevant to the big picture is not the same as being false, which is how I tend to define the use of bullshit in that context. As for marketshare, its only good if you can grow financially. Apple is worth more than Dell and HP combined, yet they have considerably more marketshare. Steve Jobs essentially increased his marketshare ranking of the richest Americans despite losing $5B in net worth. Id wager he cares more about that extra $5B than jumping up a few places.

Quote:
All this says it that iPhone apps use AdMob more than any other platform, which I'd definitely agree with as I'd never even seen or heard of AdMob myself until the iPhone started using them.

I think it says that iPhone apps are dominate on AdMob, but I dont see how it automatically means that iPhone ads mainly use AdMob.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone OS takes 40 percent of Web market share - study