or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

post #1 of 178
First on AppleInsider: A trio of online advertisements that appear to have been published prematurely by one of Apple's international online stores suggest it's only a matter of days before the Mac maker takes the wraps off of new families of ultra-thin iMacs, lighter & thinner plastic MacBooks, and more affordable Mac minis [Updated with other countries].

The Netherlands-based Google Ad Sense ads, which can be seen below along with their Dutch to English translations, cropped up on Google.nl earlier this weekend and direct shoppers to the localized version of the Apple Store, where the advertised products are not available.

Assuming the ads were indeed commissioned by Cupertino-based Apple, they'd corroborate a series of forward looking hardware reports first published by AppleInsider over the past several months. These include expectations of thinner iMacs, redesigned polycarbonate MacBooks with thinner, sleeker enclosures, and speed-bumped Mac minis.

The new offerings are also expected to be accompanied by redesigns of the company's Mighty Mouse and Apple Remote, as well as aluminum wireless keyboards.

In recent weeks, Apple has informed its direct and indirect sales channels of constraints on MacBooks, iMacs, and Mac minis. Many of the company's resellers are also sold out of iMacs and Mac minis and have been given restocking estimates of October 7th and 9th for those two products, respectively, suggesting a formal announcement regarding these Mac hardware refreshes could come as early as this Tuesday.

Some Apple retail stores also reportedly received new signage in the past 48 hours that's not to be opened or displayed until further notice.

MacBook

Dutch: Apple's Nieuwste MacBook. Dunner, lichter en krachtiger! Gratis bezorging. Bestel vandaag.

English: Apple's Newest MacBook. Thinner, lighter and faster! Free delivery. Order today.

iMac

Dutche Splinternieuwe iMac. Ultradunne 20 & 24 inch modellen. Vanaf slechts €1099. Apple Store

English: The Brand new iMac. Ultra Thin 20 & 24 inch models. From only € 1099. Apple Store

Mac mini

Dutch: Apple's Nieuwe Mac Mini. Sneller en betaalbaarder dan ooit. Vanaf slechts €499. Bestel meteen.

English: Apple's New Mac Mini. Faster and more affordable than ever. From only € 499. Order immediately.

Note: The cheapest Mac mini currently sells for € 599 on the Netherlands online store.

Update: An ad for the new iMac can also be found via a search on the Italian Google Web site at a price of 1099 €. In addition references to a "new white MacBook" can be found on the German and Austrian sites.

For more on Apple's forthcoming Mac hardware refreshes, please see:

Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Apple close to unveiling all-new MacBook line

Apple plans Mighty Mouse makeover

Apple to retain, redesign plastic MacBook family

Apple resellers advised of 2-3 week delay on Mac mini orders

Apple warns of near-term iMac, Mac mini constraints

Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features

Apple may extend antiglare display option to more Macs

Briefly: more affordable iMacs from Apple expected by fall

Apple to introduce more affordable Macs, sources say
post #2 of 178
Stronger? Is the Macbook getting unibody?
post #3 of 178
I really hope the redesign includes the ugly-ass aluminum enclosures. I hate the look of the current iMacs, and hope the new ones don't look exactly the same.
post #4 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac mini

Dutch: Sneller en betaalbaarder dan ooit. Vanaf slechts 499. Bestel meteen.

English: Faster and more affordable than ever. From only 499. Order immediately.

How much does the Mac mini sell for now in the Netherlands?
post #5 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

599 and 799 Euros.
post #6 of 178
Quote:

599 Euros which is equal to $873. (for the low end)
post #7 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Carbon Composite is more likely. They've been experimenting with that as a case option for about two years now.
post #8 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

599 Euros which is equal to $873. (for the low end)

That's an absurd price, but I assume it includes taxes.

Hopefully we'll see the mini in the US drop to $499.
post #9 of 178
Quote:

I forgot to mention my source of conversion is xe.com
post #10 of 178
These will fly off the shelves.

You can never be too dunne!
post #11 of 178

Translation of the ad:

Mac Mini has an even faster NVIDIA graphics processor now, it can easily run the newest 3D-games and demanding graphical applications...

Mac Mini will get a new graphics card as well, hello even more perfect HTPC?
post #12 of 178
Quote:

MacBook

Dutch: Apple's Nieuwste MacBook. Dunner, lichter en krachtiger! Gratis bezorging. Bestel vandaag.

English: Apple's Newest MacBook. Thinner, lighter and stronger! Free delivery. Order today.

So "cheaper" isn't mentioned

Quote:

iMac

Dutche Splinternieuwe iMac. Ultradunne 20 & 24 inch modellen. Vanaf slechts 1099. Apple Store

English: The Brand new iMac. Ultra Thin 20 & 24 inch models. From only 1099. Apple Store

So that Whirlpool forums guy was off after all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Quote:

post #13 of 178
Not sure I see the point in a thinner iMac. It's hard enough to keep it cool as it is now and if they want to put more powerful processors and GPUs inside, how will they keep it cool?
post #14 of 178
Interior - Perhaps they're adding the 9600GT with 9400M?
post #15 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I really hope the redesign includes the ugly-ass aluminum enclosures. I hate the look of the current iMacs, and hope the new ones don't look exactly the same.

i'm with you on that one. i was hoping to get used to the look, but i never have. especially the back of the iMac... ugly ass is right!
post #16 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Interior - Perhaps they're adding the 9600GT with 9400M?

Quite possible, only thing I'd be concerned about is the possible heat in such a small device.
post #17 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Not sure I see the point in a thinner iMac. It's hard enough to keep it cool as it is now and if they want to put more powerful processors and GPUs inside, how will they keep it cool?

Thinner doesn't automatically equal harder to cool. There may be less air around a thing but air is not the only way to cool. e.g. copper pipes
post #18 of 178
My wish list for the new iMac:

User-upgradable hard drive without tearing the computer apart

Express 34 slot or eSATA port

Free Affy Tapple since it's October

TMV
post #19 of 178
Quote:

Knowing Swedish and German I think "lichter en krachtiger" sounds more like "lighter and more powerful". Krachtiger sounds like "kraftigare" in Swedish, that means "more powerful", "more muscular" or "more capable" etc.
Makes sense to move everything to unibody though I don't think that's what they're saying in the ads.
post #20 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interior View Post

Translation of the ad:

Mac Mini has an even faster NVIDIA graphics processor now, it can easily run the newest 3D-games and demanding graphical applications...

Mac Mini will get a new graphics card as well, hello even more perfect HTPC?

You've actually translated the current description, not the ad...
post #21 of 178
Quote:

I think European prices include all taxes.

Quote:

There's the LED angle.
post #22 of 178
If the iMac is getting any thinner, then it will almost certainly have to use something equivalent to an Atom processor
post #23 of 178
Quote:

Yes, it does. Tax rate is 20% down here.

Expect the price of the Mini to be $499; as a rule Apple uses the same price in dollars and euros.
post #24 of 178
Quote:

Wrong translation, 'krachtiger' is 'more powerful' and in this case it means a faster processor.

Need a translation of the other text below the second link?
post #25 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_k View Post

You've actually translated the current description, not the ad...

Did the Mac Mini have a NVIDIA graphics processor before? It says it has an /even faster/ NVIDIA card which indicates to me they're upgrading it.

Edit: 2006 - 2008 versions had the GMA950, Early 2009 model started shipping with 9400M.
post #26 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Knowing Swedish and German I think "lichter en krachtiger" sounds more like "lighter and more powerful". Krachtiger sounds like "kraftigare" in Swedish, that means "more powerful", "more muscular" or "more capable" etc.
Makes sense to move everything to unibody though I don't think that's what they're saying in the ads.

Correct, 'krachtiger' means 'more powerful'.
post #27 of 178
Quote:

Did the Mac Mini have a NVIDIA graphics processor before? It says it has an /even faster/ NVIDIA card which indicates to me they're upgrading it.

The Mini - currently - has a NVIDIA graphics processor; the same as the MacBook and unibody MacBook.
The translation is also correct, so it means that a new faster NVIDIA processor is used.
post #28 of 178
Quote:

Two reasons: The use of LED displays and the possibly smaller internal components (i.e. 1.8" drives and/or getting rid of optical drives altogether and going for SD). Apple tossed the floppy drive with the first iMac so why not toss the optical or make it optional. Thinner == better.
post #29 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApple21 View Post

If the iMac is getting any thinner, then it will almost certainly have to use something equivalent to an Atom processor

The current iMacs can handle 55 W CPU so there's still a long way to go.
Quote:

Quote:

post #30 of 178
As much as I want a new iMac to come out on Monday, a casual glance at these ads gives me the impression that they are old, rather than new. The Mac mini does, indeed, have faster NVidia graphics... the 9400M.
post #31 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

As much as I want a new iMac to come out on Monday, a casual glance at these ads gives me the impression that they are old, rather than new. The Mac mini does, indeed, have faster NVidia graphics... the 9400M.

But the price is lower...
post #32 of 178
Quote:

That's not an ad he translated. It's an excerpt from Apple's current product page for the mini.

Of course it says "faster Nvidia graphics"- it's said that for months!
post #33 of 178
Quote:

You should realize though, that the ad doesn't actually talk about the graphics card at all.
post #34 of 178
I'm sorry, I'm sorry. The Apple gods have been angered. They'll all be launched tomorrow. I mean Monday. I mean two days ago!

I want a 24" Apple cinema display to go with a new iMac that doesn't cost £600+ and come with what would be redundant speakers, microphone and camera.
post #35 of 178
If the new iMac is only 1099 Euros, does that mean no Nehalem?
post #36 of 178
Hi

In Spain in google.es, I have checked they advertised the new Imac as IMAC Air.
There is 2 ads. In the one they advertised it as the new Imac Air and in another one they advertised a new starting price of 1003Â when at the moment the starting price is 1099Â

HEre is the copy of the ad

Tienda Apple Mac Oficial
store.apple.com/es/imac Configura tu iMac Air aquÃ*. ¡Ahora incluye Mac OS Snow Leopard!

It looks there is no a long time to wait!!!

Adios from España!!
post #37 of 178
Let's not forget that Fudzilla

Quote:
"ION 2 should launch toward the end of the year, but Nvidia doesnt want to talk too much about it, as it still plans to sell many original ION chips.

Our industry sources have told us that the new, shrunk version of ION, probably branded as ION 2, should have much faster graphics and much more shaders. We dont believe that the thermals will change that much, but weve heard that ION 2 will have more than double the number of shaders of the original Geforce 9400M /MCP79 /ION chip.

Since ION has 16 shaders , or processors as Nvidia calls them these days, you should expect that the new one has more than 32. This will get much better gaming to netbooks and nettops based on ION 2 which is definitely something you cannot say no to and at the same time Cuda applications might run faster, in case you found one that matter to you.

ION 2 should be launching by the end of the year."]ON 2 should launch toward the end of the year, but Nvidia doesnt want to talk too much about it, as it still plans to sell many original ION chips.

Our industry sources have told us that the new, shrunk version of ION, probably branded as ION 2, should have much faster graphics and much more shaders. We dont believe that the thermals will change that much, but weve heard that ION 2 will have more than double the number of shaders of the original Geforce 9400M /MCP79 /ION chip.

Since ION has 16 shaders , or processors as Nvidia calls them these days, you should expect that the new one has more than 32. This will get much better gaming to netbooks and nettops based on ION 2 which is definitely something you cannot say no to and at the same time Cuda applications might run faster, in case you found one that matter to you.

ION 2 should be launching by the end of the year.

What is Ion2 the follow on to the 9400M also called MCP89
post #38 of 178
Quote:

Translation of the ad:

that is a reference to the current model
post #39 of 178
People don't need thinner iMacs but quad-core!
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #40 of 178
Announcement Tuesday with availability by Friday at the latest.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis