or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple looks to take tablet beyond bathroom Web browsing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple looks to take tablet beyond bathroom Web browsing

post #1 of 114
Thread Starter 
With its development reset by co-founder Steve Jobs numerous times, Apple's forthcoming tablet is a device that has been through many internal revisions that look to offer more than "surfing the Web in the bathroom."

In a report that seeks to find the future of the tablet PC, The New York Times has offered some insight into Apple's tablet dreams, which the company has been working to bring to reality for years. The story cited numerous ex-employees of the company, including one who said Jobs kept scrapping prototypes because they weren't good for anything except browsing the Web from the bathroom.

Apple allegedly developed one tablet prototype in 2003 using a PowerPC chip from IBM. But Joshua A. Strickland, a former Apple engineer who worked on the company's patented multi-touch technology, said the hardware was too expensive, it didn't perform well, and it had poor battery life.

An unnamed former Apple executive is also quoted -- one who believes that the company will release a tablet next year. Sources have told AppleInsider that a 10-inch, 3G-connected device will debut in early 2010.

"I can imagine something like the iPhone with a much bigger screen being a gorgeous device with great capacity, but I dont know where I would fit that into my life," the anonymous executive reportedly told the Times. "Those are the debates that have been happening inside Apple for quite some time."

Speculated to be Apple's breakthrough is the App Store, which last month crossed the 2 billion threshold in downloaded applications, and has more than 85,000 total options available. The report cited analysts who believe a tablet would have access to that library of applications.

With information on Microsoft's own touchscreen device, code-named Courier, leaked weeks ago, and numerous Windows 7-based touchscreen devices coming this fall, tablets look to be coming to the market in full force, despite their lack of commercial success in the past.
post #2 of 114
So the tablet is real?

Please let it be ARM! It can really use the batter life and Mac OS X. I want Mac OS X on it!
  1. I want to be able to install whatever I want
  2. I want to be able to sync my iPhone to it, and not sync it with my Mac
  3. USB and/or Bluetooth connectivity for Keyboard, etc...

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #3 of 114
Until I see/read mock drawing or something that tells me Apple is developing a tablet, I will not hold my breath. Not that I do not believe, Apple are developing a tablet, but I wait until Apple or a leak shows me it is for real.

I for one want the competition between MS and Apple, since we had no direct competition for long time and this would show, who is an innovator and who is duplicator!

In end the consumer wins (me and millions others).
post #4 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speculated to be Apple's breakthrough is the App Store, which last month crossed the 2 billion threshold in downloaded applications, and has more than 85,000 total options available. The report cited analysts who believe a tablet would have access to that library of applications.

I'm not buying this part. Meaning: "The report cited analysts who believe a tablet would have access to that library of applications." Just because the iPhone App Store might have been an inspiration, doesn't mean they have to use "it".

I like the App Store idea, but it will be a new store specifically designed for the tablet with its 10" screen. The Tablet App Store, if you will.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

So the tablet is real?

Please let it be ARM! It can really use the batter life and Mac OS X. I want Mac OS X on it!
  1. I want to be able to install whatever I want
  2. I want to be able to sync my iPhone to it, and not sync it with my Mac
  3. USB and/or Bluetooth connectivity for Keyboard, etc...

Out of curiosity, why don't you want the tablet to sync with your Mac. I for one would use it as mini computer/netbook on trips and when I come back, can sync all my work on my mac. It would be less heavy and easier to carry with (I hope) similar functionality as netbook.

Document to go or some similar app would allow me to continue to work providing a nice size screen. I love iPhone, but I do not edit docs/spreadsheets on my phone (ever though I can), just read them.
post #6 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Until I see/read mock drawing or something that tells me Apple is developing a tablet, I will not hold my breath. Not that I do not believe, Apple are developing a tablet, but I wait until Apple or a leak shows me it is for real.

I for one want the competition between MS and Apple, since we had no direct competition for long time and this would show, who is an innovator and who is duplicator!

In end the consumer wins (me and millions others).

F*** M********

I don't care for the competition between the two, I just rather Apple get on with it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 114
The reason I like the "App Store" idea is that there's less bullshit involved. It's just a very straight-forward process with simple installation. It's simple for everyone to understand and it's simple to get apps If a new app comes out and you know the name you can install it in less than 1 minute, anyone can. They need to just be a bit less strict for the dodgy approval situations, like Google.

Plus, for whatever reason (that is not important) the quality of the apps will go up and the price will go down on them with an App Store.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #8 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm not buying this part. Meaning: "The report cited analysts who believe a tablet would have access to that library of applications." Just because the iPhone App Store might have been an inspiration, doesn't mean they have to use "it".

I like the App Store idea, but it will be a new store specifically designed for the tablet with its 10" screen. The Tablet App Store, if you will.

Yeah but it will defo run iPhone apps, apple would be dumb to not. Alongside tablet specific apps that is.
post #9 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Out of curiosity, why don't you want the tablet to sync with your Mac. I for one would use it as mini computer/netbook on trips and when I come back, can sync all my work on my mac. It would be less heavy and easier to carry with (I hope) similar functionality as netbook.

Document to go or some similar app would allow me to continue to work providing a nice size screen. I love iPhone, but I do not edit docs/spreadsheets on my phone (ever though I can), just read them.

Maybe I worded it wrongly, but I obviously meant that I want to be able to use it without a Mac, nothing wrong with keeping data in sync between different computers, I just don't want to have to have a Mac to use it; say on a long trip away from home.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #10 of 114
With information on Microsoft's own touchscreen device, code-named Courier, leaked weeks ago, and numerous Windows 7-based touchscreen devices coming this fall, tablets look to be coming to the market in full force, despite their lack of commercial success in the past.

was this sentence really necessary? is this apple news or microsoft news??
post #11 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Yeah but it will defo run iPhone apps, apple would be dumb to not. Alongside tablet specific apps that is.

No way. If for no other than reason than for Apple and the devs to make more money. But having said that I think there are better reasons, one being the app wasn't designed for the tablet. It will be a new App Store "only" or no App Store.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #12 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

With information on Microsoft's own touchscreen device, code-named Courier, leaked weeks ago, and numerous Windows 7-based touchscreen devices coming this fall, tablets look to be coming to the market in full force, despite their lack of commercial success in the past.

was this sentence really necessary? is this apple news or microsoft news??

They like to paint Apple and MS and the Simpsons verus the Flanders here. I does nothing for me personally, and I agree. They are probably making a good point on this occasion however - the idea that tablets are being heavily researched right now, and the Microsoft example was relevant, even if they only made an "animation"
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 114
One more thing: I'd rather it not have a glass screen, it'll be heavy, easy to break and costly to repair!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #14 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

One more thing: I'd rather it not have a glass screen, it'll be heavy, easy to break and costly to repair!

You'll get your glass screen and shut up about it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #15 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You'll get your glass screen and shut up about it.

I agree not bloody glass screen please, it is tablet so make it light and durable!
post #16 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No way. If for no other than reason than for Apple and the devs to make more money. But having said that I think there are better reasons, one being the app wasn't designed for the tablet. It will be a new App Store "only" or no App Store.

Well no app store is out of the question!
post #17 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

With information on Microsoft's own touchscreen device, code-named Courier, leaked weeks ago, and numerous Windows 7-based touchscreen devices coming this fall, tablets look to be coming to the market in full force, despite their lack of commercial success in the past.

was this sentence really necessary? is this apple news or microsoft news??

the price is down

in the days of the $1500 laptop Microsoft's XP Tablet Edition laptops cost $3000. same exact laptop with a screen that could turn around
post #18 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm not buying this part. Meaning: "The report cited analysts who believe a tablet would have access to that library of applications." Just because the iPhone App Store might have been an inspiration, doesn't mean they have to use "it".

I like the App Store idea, but it will be a new store specifically designed for the tablet with its 10" screen. The Tablet App Store, if you will.

The current AppStore has software for both the iPod touch and the iPhone.
Some of the apps are iPhone-only.
I am certain Apple would simply add Tablet apps to the app store and label them as Tablet-only.

I hope to see iWork X in the App Store for $40 or less.
post #19 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

One more thing: I'd rather it not have a glass screen, it'll be heavy, easy to break and costly to repair!

I'm sure Otterbox will make an indestructible case for it.
post #20 of 114
My guess is that the tablet will get their own app store.
Apple will use their experience to create a new store as it should be.

The development of an iPhone/Tablet app will be almost the same, but the layout and the final touches will be different. There is a lot more real estate.

Imaging how it will look like if you have an iPhone app just in a bigger size. Yek.
Yep good for typing some text, or longer lists. Landscape 7" wide buttons doesn't work well. Not that much needs to be adjusted, but have to be done right.

Then a mixed shop will do no good. iPhone developers and mac developers will come closer.
I hope that the developers get more reasonable prices, and no free apps. Free updates and trials are ok. Also without the install hazzle currently needed on the iPhone.

I hope they give handwriting to. And self adjustable keyboards. And more main RAM ( 500mb-1Gb ), and...

I can't wait.
post #21 of 114
While this is all bloody speculation on our behalves,
I would think that this device, if real, and if running the phone os, would have a beefed up set of applications available though the store.
IE
It could run all the games and fart applications presently available, plus, at a premium, a version of iworks, to allow greater sophistication. Or that the apps could come in another flavor, besides free and paid versions. There could be an itablet version also.

Isn't there high priced apps available on the store? They could be the stepping stone to such more expensive, therefor greater profit margin suite of products for the tablet.

I, for one, must carry a laptop with a wealth of technical information. I would relish a small tablet that could sort information and read pdfs.

The itablet would lend itself to some business applications, that would be useful, particularly as an interface to test equipment, or affixed to a bar scanner.
post #22 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

One more thing: I'd rather it not have a glass screen, it'll be heavy, easy to break and costly to repair!

I can see Apple seliing it with a carry case to protect said screen, much like they did in the past with the original Mac.
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
Reply
"Who are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"
Reply
post #23 of 114
How does Steve know that I browse the web in my bathroom?

...Steve... what am I doing... RIGHT NOW?

-Sapridyne
post #24 of 114
I wonder if they surveyed that most iPhone web browsing is done in the bathroom?
or did they figure it out with an advanced GPS using floor plans?
post #25 of 114
As I mentioned before, the question whether the Tablet (if real) is using desktop OS-es or iPhone OS is stupid. Both OS use the same foundation and different UI layer. Apparently, the tablet will have specific UI needs to be addressed because:
  • the iPhone screen is too small, the tablet would allow more flexibility
  • the desktop OS relies on the mouse precision as a pointing device. It will not work for finger/multitouch.
The tablet, however, could perfectly run iPhone app either in a widget-style window, or fullscreen. There should be an option for tablet-specific apps.

My guess:
  • the apps purchased for iPhone will run on the tablet. There will be no need to purchase them again.
  • there will be a tablet section on the AppStore for specific apps.
Wishlist:
  • the AppStore will add more flexibility for end users and developers and it will be possible to purchase e.g. the tablet version for a discount if you already have the phone only version. Especially important for the expensive stuff like navigation apps.
post #26 of 114
Assuming this is going to happen... a tablet optimised version of iWork could be the killer app. If the device gets traction and becomes popular, how would MS respond? Try to produce a tablet version of Office? If they do, it would be an additional plus point for a direct tablet competitor's product, if they don't many people would discover that a lean, stripped down and elegant WP app is all they need for nearly all their day-to-day office-type stuff. A bit of a rock and a hard place for Redmond methinks.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord anubis View Post

My guess is that the tablet will get their own app store.
Apple will use their experience to create a new store as it should be.

The development of an iPhone/Tablet app will be almost the same, but the layout and the final touches will be different. There is a lot more real estate.

Imaging how it will look like if you have an iPhone app just in a bigger size. Yek.
Yep good for typing some text, or longer lists. Landscape 7" wide buttons doesn't work well. Not that much needs to be adjusted, but have to be done right.

Then a mixed shop will do no good. iPhone developers and mac developers will come closer.
I hope that the developers get more reasonable prices, and no free apps. Free updates and trials are ok. Also without the install hazzle currently needed on the iPhone.

I hope they give handwriting to. And self adjustable keyboards. And more main RAM ( 500mb-1Gb ), and...

I can't wait.

why does everyone assume all iPhone apps have to take up the whole relestare of a bigger device? It'd be much nicer to have as an option, for some apps it'd work great, but most would fare better in a window the size of an iPhone screen. Even if the tablet only ran a version of iPhone os, it should still be allowed background tasks. The bigger specs and larger battery gotta be good for something.
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
Reply
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
Reply
post #28 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord anubis View Post

Imaging how it will look like if you have an iPhone app just in a bigger size. Yek.

I hope that the developers get more reasonable prices, and no free apps. Free updates and trials are ok. Also without the install hazzle currently needed on the iPhone.

I agree that iPhone apps simply scaled up to a larger size would not make for a high quality user experience. In fact the whole iPhone UI paradigm might break down on a tablet sized screen. Obviously, a WIMP interface would have issues too. Assuming that Apple actually releases a tablet, it will be very interesting to see how they resolve the UI issues.

However, I don't think there will be an environment where there are no free apps. There have always been free apps on any platform I've ever been on. (Even on big iron.) And, in an App Store type of environment free apps work well by promoting downloads. Also, developers are not being hurt by app store pricing. They are selling far more copies of software than they would with higher prices, and many of them are making as much or more than developers operating in a traditional market. Yes, some developers aren't making a lot of money, but no model of selling apps ensures that everyone who sells software will get rich.
post #29 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I am certain Apple would simply add Tablet apps to the app store and label them as Tablet-only.

I'm not as "certain" as you, but I think you're wrong.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapridyne View Post

How does Steve know that I browse the web in my bathroom?

...Steve... what am I doing... RIGHT NOW?

-Sapridyne

I got it. Apple is going to revive not the cube or Newton but the good old toilet seat iBook as the new tablet.
post #31 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Assuming this is going to happen... a tablet optimised version of iWork could be the killer app. If the device gets traction and becomes popular, how would MS respond?

Let's try keep Microsoft out of at least one thread, shall we.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Let's try keep Microsoft out of at least one thread, shall we.

Is that possible? If so I've never seen it. \
post #33 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

why does everyone assume all iPhone apps have to take up the whole relestare of a bigger device? It'd be much nicer to have as an option, for some apps it'd work great, but most would fare better in a window the size of an iPhone screen.

If this were the only way you could run apps on a tablet, I think it would be a huge failure.
post #34 of 114
Is anyone else sick of all these wishlists people post every time the tablet gets mentioned?

No one cares what you want.
post #35 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

F*** M********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Let's try keep Microsoft out of at least one thread, shall we.

Okay.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Okay.

Responding to something is not the same as bringing it up.

I noticed you are cheery-picking specific things to make your point, don't go all politician on us.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #37 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

Is anyone else sick of all these wishlists people post every time the tablet gets mentioned?

No one cares what you want.

I care to be honest. I'm always quite interested to see how people want this product to be.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #38 of 114
Low battery consuming touch tablet.
What it could be used for:

Somewhat covered:
- Bathroom web surfing and communication (Already covered by iPhone)
- Magazines, news, books. (Partly covered by iPhone. Room for improvement.)
- Mobile Movie playback (Covered by iPhone and notebooks)
- Notes (Covered by notebooks, but could be sleeker.)

Not covered wide spread:
- Art sketching.
- Innovative live music apps.
- Innovative live animation apps.
- Phat input source for a main computer.
- Medical use.
- No buttons could mean weather proof... if they wanna go down that line.
...
Maybe a new multi use Mac input device IS the new tablet? That would be a spectacular move.
post #39 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Low battery consuming touch tablet.
What it could be used for:

Somewhat covered:
- Bathroom web surfing and communication (Already covered by iPhone)
- Magazines, news, books. (Partly covered by iPhone. Room for improvement.)
- Mobile Movie playback (Covered by iPhone and notebooks)
- Notes (Covered by notebooks, but could be sleeker.)

Not covered wide spread:
- Art sketching.
- Innovative live music apps.
- Innovative live animation apps.
- Phat input source for a main computer.
- Medical use.
- No buttons could mean weather proof... if they wanna go down that line.
...
Maybe a new multi use Mac input device IS the new tablet? That would be a spectacular move.

I love the way your first point is "bathroom web surfing". The reason Steve is against the product, LOL.

You forgot digital board games. I think that market could be huge. Imagine putting down the tablet on the table and saying: "right so, what game do you want to play". Scrabble, chess+checkers (draughts), Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Air hockey etc. This stuff would be phenomenal. Endless selection too! Not to mention you'd never lose pieces, and putting the game away would be one-tap. The board games would be interactive too, and have in-game sounds.

And my personal fave - couch surfing & school books (specifically).
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #40 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

why does everyone assume all iPhone apps have to take up the whole relestare of a bigger device? It'd be much nicer to have as an option, for some apps it'd work great, but most would fare better in a window the size of an iPhone screen. Even if the tablet only ran a version of iPhone os, it should still be allowed background tasks. The bigger specs and larger battery gotta be good for something.

Oh yes, I can definitely imagine iPhone/iPod Touch apps running inside a window on a tablet.

Especially when they are games.

And maybe Apple will provide some programming environment that makes it easy for developers to let their apps automatically adjust their screen lay-out to the size of the window they're running in, where the window = the screen when ran on an iPhone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple looks to take tablet beyond bathroom Web browsing