or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple takes double-digit home PC market share - study
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple takes double-digit home PC market share - study

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
An estimated 12 percent of all U.S. homes have an Apple computer, though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home, a new study shows.

The NPD Group's 2009 Household Penetration Study found that Mac home marketshare has crossed the double digit threshold, up from 9 percent in 2008. However, most Macs live in a "mixed system environment," the study said, with 85 percent of Mac homes having a Windows machine as well.

"Multiple computer ownership is a common thread in Apple computer households, with 66 percent of households owning three or more computers, compared to just 29 percent of Windows PC households," the company said. "Apple owning households are decidedly more mobile as well, with 72 percent of them owning a notebook, whereas only 50 percent of households that have a Windows PC own a notebook."

The study found that Mac owners have more computers than the average consumer, and that extends over to other types of electronics, including iPods and navigation systems. Of those surveyed, 36 percent of computer owners had an iPod. The share among Mac owners, though, was 63 percent. Similarly, while 12 percent of computer-owning households have a digital SLR camera, the total is 32 percent for Mac homes.

The survey was of more than 2,300 online panelists.

"While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households, said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis. "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers.

He added: "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases. "The average Apple household owns 48 CE devices whereas the average computer household owns about 24. Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption."



In September, NPD Group reported that Snow Leopard, Apple's latest operating system upgrade, was off to a swift sales start. Mac OS X 10.6 had initial sales twice as high as its predecessor, Leopard, and four times better than Tiger. The study credited Snow Leopard's competitive $29 price for its strong start.

Recent new data found that total online share of Mac systems grew 5 percent in September, following the release of Snow Leopard. That study found that the total worldwide online presence of Macs was a 5.12 percent share.
post #2 of 74
Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.

It's worth adding that the computer game is changing though. Phones are becoming computers.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 74
"though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home"

I wonder what they mean by "nearly all." I suppose switchers fall in that category unless they promptly throw away their old PC. Supporting both OSes in one household has to be the worst of both worlds. I'm glad I've never owned a Windows PC (although I use one every day at work).
post #4 of 74
Reminds me of the Advertising Age study last year saying we're all elitists, too.
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...users_are.html

http://blogs.jobdig.com/diggings/200...ving-greenies/

The original study is login protected in Advertising Age's site.

- Jasen.

P.S. My MacBook IS my Windows PC. Thanks BootCamp.
post #5 of 74
Never owned a Windoze PC , never will.
How's that y'all?
post #6 of 74
Hmm, looks like that "rounding error" that Steve Ballmer of MS is so nonchalant in saying is being rounded up!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #7 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

"though nearly all Mac owners also have a Windows PC in their home"

I wonder what they mean by "nearly all." I suppose switchers fall in that category unless they promptly throw away their old PC. Supporting both OSes in one household has to be the worst of both worlds. I'm glad I've never owned a Windows PC (although I use one every day at work).

Hear! Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Never owned a Windoze PC , never will.
How's that y'all?

I fall into that category as well!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #8 of 74
Most of the Mac users I know don't own a PC, and the ones that do are those that switched to Mac and put their PC into storage. They should have asked those 85% if their PC is still used.
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Most of the Mac users I know don't own a PC, and the ones that do are those that switched to Mac and put their PC into storage. They should have asked those 85% if their PC is still used.

The test was done on the Microsoft campus. Yeah, the vast majority of people who own Macs don't use their PC.

It's like owning a kitchen knife and being branded as a potential-killer in a survey.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 74
I switched from winduh to a mac and haven't touched a winduh for a month now
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
Reply
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
Reply
post #11 of 74
Mac only user here to stay, however, the people I live with own a few PCs...
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hear! Hear!

It's not hear hear, it's here here!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 74
Apple seriously needs to make sure I don't have to bother using Windows. Why use two Operating Systems when one will do? The folly of computing
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.

It's worth adding that the computer game is changing though. Phones are becoming computers.

apple has well over 10 percent since mac's never die
never
ever
they get passed on
and on
even a feeble beaten up dv imac 1999 special can still stream hulu
and on the final days of a mac's event filled life
fish geeks ➤
swoop in and convert the mac to a fish tank

peace
9




i need a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Never owned a Windoze PC , never will.
How's that y'all?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Most of the Mac users I know don't own a PC, and the ones that do are those that switched to Mac and put their PC into storage. They should have asked those 85% if their PC is still used.

This is the crux. It's highly doubtful any of these people went out and purchased both a PC and a Mac at the same time/store. Instead, the question is how many were PC users, then moved to Mac, and how many were Mac users that moved to PCs. I have WindowsXP loaded on my MacBook Pro and can't honestly remember how many months it's been since I've used it personally (I use it when I teach Windows programming, but that's it). If I owned a Mac and time came to upgrade to a PC, I'd forgo spending even a paltry $500 on a netbook with Windows and just spring for a copy of Windows 7 this month and use Bootcamp to partition and have it there if I need it. Cheaper and you still get everything you want with a dedicated PC.
post #16 of 74
Weirs sounds like they never heart of BootCamp.
i run snow leopard and windows 7 on my 24" iMac
and i hardly use the windows once every two months is alot.
post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple seriously needs to make sure I don't have to bother using Windows. Why use two Operating Systems when one will do? The folly of computing

How can Apple make sure that you don't have to bother using Windows? They definitely can't for gamers as many games require Direct X, which Microsoft will never license to Apple.

I personally have a PC because I wanted to build a computer and troubleshoot problems again as well as maybe play some PC only games. I also like to stay in touch with developments on the Windows side so I can objectively state which operating system I prefer. Blood pressure readings would indicate that I prefer mac.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Mac only user here to stay, however, the people I live with own a few PCs...

late at night when those pc people are asleep you must.....
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasein View Post

This is the crux. It's highly doubtful any of these people went out and purchased both a PC and a Mac at the same time/store. Instead, the question is how many were PC users, then moved to Mac, and how many were Mac users that moved to PCs. I have WindowsXP loaded on my MacBook Pro and can't honestly remember how many months it's been since I've used it personally (I use it when I teach Windows programming, but that's it). If I owned a Mac and time came to upgrade to a PC, I'd forgo spending even a paltry $500 on a netbook with Windows and just spring for a copy of Windows 7 this month and use Bootcamp to partition and have it there if I need it. Cheaper and you still get everything you want with a dedicated PC.

The Macbook Pro makes a great PC platform, better notebook hardware than you will likely find elsewhere.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #20 of 74
I have both Windows and Mac at home. It's 3 Macs to 1 Windows PC. I do some programming in Visual Studio and Windows is needed for that. For my day-to-day computing needs, I use my Macs... I don't feel the need to be one-sided.

EDIT: It just feels dirty to put Windows on a Mac to me... though, I do have XP running via Virtual Box on my iMac. I rarely use it. I also have Ubuntu using Virtual Box, use it even less. I, for one, just don't understand all of the Linux push. The only Linux has over MacOSX or Windows is that it's free... and there are way too many distros. Very hard to pick one, so most people just use Ubuntu because it's the most "marketed" version.
post #21 of 74
I take away from the article that Mac users consume more electronic goods than PC users... So...

Either Mac owners keep their CE Devices longer...
The CE Devices Mac users have are of better quality and last longer...
Mac users are accustomed to devices lasting longer when quality is taken...
PC users who are accustomed to their computer failing don't put trust in well built CE Devices... Or simply don't buy well built devices? Are they cheap? Do they not make enough money to facilitate buying a Mac or better quality device? And is there any way Apple can make a MAC that they can afford so as to save their life (digitally)? That is the question.

Every Intel Mac user on that list is also a PC owner... So was that taken into account?
post #22 of 74
I switched to the Mac during the Intel transition because my PC screwed me one time too many. But I still have my PC and use it to run all the software I purchased for it.

I could go out and buy comparable Mac software to do the job, but why? My PC and software are paid for and get the job done eventually so I use both.

In preparation for the day when my PC dies, I bought a retail copy of Windows XP to run on my MacBook pro under boot camp. It was cheaper than re-buying my PC software on the Mac platform. I refuse to get Vista and don't believe Windows 7 will be any better.

Besides, I was curious if a full retail copy of Windows XP would run better than the Hewlett Packard adware laden disc image copy that came with my HP PC. The result? Only four blue screens of death in the past three months. A marked improvement.
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I switched to the Mac during the Intel transition because my PC screwed me one time too many. But I still have my PC and use it to run all the software I purchased for it.

I could go out and buy comparable Mac software to do the job, but why? My PC and software are paid for and get the job done eventually so I use both.

In preparation for the day when my PC dies, I bought a retail copy of Windows XP to run on my MacBook pro under boot camp. It was cheaper than re-buying my PC software on the Mac platform. I refuse to get Vista and don't believe Windows 7 will be any better.

Besides, I was curious if a full retail copy of Windows XP would run better than the Hewlett Packard adware laden disc image copy that came with my HP PC. The result? Only four blue screens of death in the past three months. A marked improvement.

Could have saved you the purchase of XP. Get Parallels 4. It will TRANSPORT your PC with OS and all apps into a virtual machine that runs inside OS X (you can go full screen if you want for the full experience). So no need to purchase XP... It transfers everything over... Be exactly like turning your PC on inside your Mac (seriously).
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not hear hear, it's here here!

It's a common mistake found on the internet, but it is actually Hear Hear! not here here! it's originated from the british parliament Hear him, Hear him!
post #25 of 74
i'll probably buy a Mac once my kid turns 3 or 4. probably the best way to teach him UNIX and computers in general. i can buy a dell and put a virtual version of Ubuntu or Red Crap, but i prefer something usable
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I take away from the article that Mac users consume more electronic goods than PC users... So...

maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

apple has well over 10 percent since mac's never die
never
ever
they get passed on
and on
even a feeble beaten up dv imac 1999 special can still stream hulu
and on the final days of a mac's event filled life
fish geeks ➤
swoop in and convert the mac to a fish tank

peace
9




i need a life


How true. At the last count, I had 19 functioning Apples in the house (including a FrankenMac made up from parts of my original Performa 475 and an abandoned Centris 610). This doesn't take into account the 10 or so that I have "farmed out" to various nephews, nieces, neighbor kids, friends, my Mother-in-law (82 and all over iChat and Google), etc. or the "parts" machines. As folks get used to using an Apple, they eventually want a brand new one of their own, so the deal is that when they are done with the "loaner", they send it back and I'lI just keep recirculating the machines until they totally crap out, and there is nothing left to use. So far, I haven't had to scrap a single machine.


I have one Sony Viao that I bought at the same time I bought my original MacBook Pro. I have it for the same reason I keep one OS 9 bootable machine; there may be some random thing that pops up that I need to use it for, but most of the time it just sits there. I keep thinking that someday I'll see if I can get Ubuntu to run on it, but for the most part, I'm just not that interested in it.

I need to get a life, too. Someday, I'll have to learn to sell parts and stuff on eBay. Right now, I'm not that interested in that either.

However, while on vacation, I did spot a Hamm's Beer Blue 1932 Ford Coupe for sale. It made me think a little bit about what I'm going to do after I run out of nephews and nieces...
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.

There is a middle ground too. Income definitely plays a role, but all mac users choose to be mac users. Not all windows users choose to be windows users, some just want a cheap computer. If things like an operating system matter to you, your computer is probably a big part of your life and not just a tool for checking facebook, and you probably have an interest in other consumer electronics as well.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #29 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not hear hear, it's here here!

You're wrong about that one.....
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.

The fact that they don't hit double digits worldwide any time soon is actually great for me as a shareholder. That's more room for market share- ergo revenue- ergo profit- ergo share price-growth.

And, as a consumer, my ability to use a Mac and derive enjoyment from it does not seem to have suffered at all (either at home or at work) because Apple has a low global share.
post #31 of 74
Everyone seems to assume that switchers just toss their old PC's in the closet and never see them again. I can tell you that's probably the least likely scenario except possibly in a single PC household that doesn't have a lot of software base for their PC.

I'm in the process of replacing all of my household PC's with Macs, but it's not as simple as just turning off the old as you get the new ones in. For one thing, many homes have multiple PC's. Replacing them all in one feel swoop just isn't feasible for most people. Your talking many thousands of dollars if you have 4 or 5 to PC's to replace (although I'm replacing them as quickly as I can..lol).

There are also apps to consider. I have software which is PC centric that will require re-investment or time to find equivalent Mac versions. I converted a little over a year ago, and I've gotten to the point where the remaining apps are no longer a barrier to replace the last few PC's. It's only a matter of cost at this point.

I suspect a lot of switchers are in the same process that I'm almost done with.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're wrong about that one.....

You never clicked my link, I have proof.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The fact that they don't hit double digits worldwide any time soon is actually great for me as a shareholder. That's more room for market share- ergo revenue- ergo profit- ergo share price-growth.

And, as a consumer, my ability to use a Mac and derive enjoyment from it does not seem to have suffered at all (either at home or at work) because Apple has a low global share.

If they had a .0001% share you'd suffer though. Getting up to that 10% would only make the Mac more pervasive, which would be a good thing for Mac users.

And yes, I am aware if you grow slower you have more "room" for growth in the future LOL.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post


Every Intel Mac user on that list is also a PC owner... So was that taken into account?


I honestly hope that you're just having fun with words and not just braindead as I'm sure that you recognize that PC stands for "personal computer", even those made at Apple ! It's just for convenience sake that pc generally refers to windoze.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerrob2 View Post

It's a common mistake found on the internet, but it is actually Hear Hear! not here here! it's originated from the british parliament Hear him, Hear him!

Why is it people comment without reading the lengthy article on the matter (my link) recently written at Harvard. It is far more complex than you think. The old rules aren't right, they also had multiple origins.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. .

Sorry, but it does not "clearly state the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household." It does, however, state: "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers." This means that 64% earn less than 100 Gs ... so what? A more revealing and ACCURATE fact might have been: What is the average income of all Mac users, and of all PC users. While I might SUSPECT that Mac users are higher income people, this "survey" certainly does nothing to prove or disprove this.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #37 of 74
"Multiple computer ownership is a common thread in Apple computer households, with 66 percent of households owning three or more computers, compared to just 29 percent of Windows PC households," the company said. "Apple owning households are decidedly more mobile as well, with 72 percent of them owning a notebook, whereas only 50 percent of households that have a Windows PC own a notebook."

You know why we own more is because we never throw are OLD macs away, they just keep on working! I have a 867 G4/ 2.5 Quad G5/Macbook Pro (using 23" screen from G5) & iMac 24" 3.06.

P.S. It will be a cold day in hell before I own another windows based PC/laptop/smartphone/PMP/Tablet!
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Call me they have a 10% share of global home computers - i.e. never.

Which company has more than 10% of global home computers?
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Which company has more than 10% of global home computers?

That's a trick question. Having a bigger presence means better software selection, and better OS support via third parties. Meaning the OS, not the hardware.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

maybe you could pay attention to the article. It clearly states the fact that most Mac owner make more money than the average household. People with more money buy more stuff. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sure if they would have asked, they would have found out that Mac users had bigger houses, owned more expensive cars, had more furniture, owned more clothes, etc. because that's what having more money allows you to do. It has no relation to the fact that they're Mac users or not.

Sarcasm... Sarcasm... Just poking at the article... Didn't think anything of it.

I've seen polls show Republicans are more evil and likely to steal or commit a crime too. Don't believe what you read on the web.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple takes double-digit home PC market share - study