or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Psystar sells Snow Leopard virtualization to third-parties

Psystar sells Snow Leopard virtualization to third-parties - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Was his post an attempt at creating professional advertisement? No? Then why being such a prick?

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #42 of 69
Brilliant move, Psystar! I'm sure other resellers will leap on the opportunity to get their asses sued out of existence by Apple!
post #43 of 69
Modern medical science has not yet invented a device by which to measure the epic size of Psystar's balls.

Nor one that can measure the gargantuan distance they swing.
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I think already answered your question by saying, I do not want Apple to become like MS.

On a serious note, I buy a premium product, since I demand the highest quality of product/service from the company. To be frank, I would not purchase that Apple product, if that was being offered. Same reason, I will not buy from Psystar.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear.

Would you still be rooting for the "little guy", if the roles were reversed?
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"customizable"? "upgradable"?

...those are the correct spellings of those words...
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
post #46 of 69
Ladies and Gentlemen - start your Torrents!
First that natty piece of software from Psystar. Then OSX. If this happens it may not be a bad thing for Apple. In fact maybe the whole thing is a shrewd piece of viral campaigning. Over the next 12 months say, OSX gets installed for free on a gazillion PC's across the world. Then Apple surreptitiously shuts down its wholly owned subsidiary - Psystar, and voila! Apple has a few million more converts who rush out and buy Apple hardware.
OK OK... I don't actually believe that but if OSX does get spread illegally to a billion PCs, it may benefit Apple in the end. Unless of course all us loyal Mac fans decide to ditch our hardware in favour of a cheap Dell box...
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

...those are the correct spellings of those words...

Yeah. Questionable usage though. Certainly not that professional.
post #48 of 69
Quote:

Yeah. Questionable usage though. Certainly not that professional.

Because commenting on a blog should always be done using the most professional language and grammar.

Give me a break.

Here allow me to fix your comment:

"Affirmative. The usage of the words referenced was questionable however. The original author clearly did not use very professional grammar."
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Because commenting on a blog should always be done using the most professional language and grammar.

Give me a break.

"Affirmative. The usage of the words referenced was questionable however. The original author clearly did not use very professional grammar."

Who invited the language police ... relax people, this is supposed to be fun, for crying out loud.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #50 of 69
It would be awesome to have snow leopard on a little netbook
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Who invited the language police ... relax people, this is supposed to be fun, for crying out loud.

That was actually my point....
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Give me a break.

Um ... we were referring to professional ad copy right? Not sure what you're talking about here.

To clarify:

The use of "customizable" (sic) and "upgradable" (sic) is not "wrong" (you can find them in most dictionaries), but it's a very recent and not entirely professional use that you won't find in many professional advertisements. I use these words on forums myself all the time, but you don't see them much in advertising copy, at least not in stuff that wasn't written by a teenager.

In the same sense it wasn't "wrong" of them to use a radial drop shadow as a stroke on the font of the main title, but the "ugly" side effects of that choice are quite apparent and it's something you won't find any real professionals doing.

As I have already pointed out, there are many other problems with this ad.

Overall, I just think it's hilariously funny that Psystar is behind this ad, and that the ad reflects the exact same relationship that Psystar has to Apple in the first place. i.e. - a cheap mistake filled copy of the original. That's the kind of satire you usually have to pay for, and it's made more choice by the fact that these guys did it to themselves and unintentionally as well.

I repeat.
Hee-Lair-Ree-usssss!
post #53 of 69
Don't get me wrong, but hopefully psystar will make Apple realize they need a machine to compete in the market sector.

Seriously guys, a mid range desktop can exist alongside an all in one.

The pro was *almost* mid range, the last iteration with a single quad processor was quite affordable, i was considering getting one myself. But the latest upgrade is deplorable. It's like apple deliberately shut out the mid range market by raising their prices substantially.

All they have to do is half the pro in size, and chop a chunk off the price.
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post

Don't get me wrong, but hopefully psystar will make Apple realize they need a machine to compete in the market sector.

Seriously guys, a mid range desktop can exist alongside an all in one.

The pro was *almost* mid range, the last iteration with a single quad processor was quite affordable, i was considering getting one myself. But the latest upgrade is deplorable. It's like apple deliberately shut out the mid range market by raising their prices substantially.

All they have to do is half the pro in size, and chop a chunk off the price.

It wont make Apple realize anything. Apple knows they could sell a lot of mid range desktops. They are also aware that the profit margins in the desktop market are small and shrinking. They would sell a lot of desktops, but they wouldn't make a lot of money, this is the same reason they are not in the netbook market. It does suck for the consumer, but Apple is free to make the choice of what they sell.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #55 of 69
Hold it! where did psystar hire the talent to make a bootloader? did they just rip it off an open source and say its theirs? Isnt Darwin kernal derived from NextStep that Apple released into open source? So Psystar is STILL "stealing" from Apple?

How is a bootloader a virtualization program? Did they edit the bootloader and call it virtualization? Macs can already double/triple boot into Windows and linux, nobody say its virtual.

Can't Palm rip off another open source program to sync with the Pre?
post #56 of 69
If you truly want to use a mac, you must buy a mac.

For everything else there is linux mint.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #57 of 69
Quote:

This ad is hilarious.

It's so funny how it *looks* like an Apple ad, yet is poorly executed and "cheap" with a lot of mistakes.
Wow, is that a perfect metaphor for Psystar itself or what?!

Why would I buy anything from a company that can't spell anything properly, and who's advertising "artist" doesn't even know how to make a drop shadow?
(don't even get me started on the box)

This ad may be highly illegal as well. I see potential problem with FTC AND FCC regulations and there are clear trademark issues as well. IMHO Psystar may have crossed a line where the judges may have to do something.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you are so funny with your witty digs at Apple

Ahah! He does have a point though!
post #59 of 69
i'd love it if we all knew who's backing these lunatics...specially their legal department with moronic lawsuits, it could very well be microsoft...

microsoft's latest "microsoft store" campaign is as parasite-like as these idiots
post #60 of 69
Quote:

The use of "customizable" (sic) and "upgradable" (sic) is not "wrong" (you can find them in most dictionaries), but it's a very recent and not entirely professional use that you won't find in many professional advertisements.

You can not only find them in the dictionaries, but "upgradable" is the first spelling for that word in Merriam-Webster, and "customizable" is the only spelling in M-W.

Unless you're objecting to the use of the words themselves, which I don't understand - what words should they use instead? They are trying to emphasize the fact that their machines can be customized and upgraded, whereas Apple's generally cannot due to the lack of PCI, PCI-Express, or ExpressCard slots on all but the most bulky, cumbersome, and expensive of their machines.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Anyone else see the irony here? The hardware has to be approved by Psystar before they will license their software to you. So they are in total control of what hardware their software gets installed on. Granted, they probably aren't offering their software retail, but isn't it one of their arguments that license agreements aren't enforceable and that Apple is using the license agreement to maintain their monopoly hold on a "market" (never mind that Mac hardware is not a "market" in and of itself)?

Can we not argue that Psytar has a monopoly in non-Apple branded computers that run Mac OS and sue them for illegally leveraging their monopoly by not selling their software to me so I can install it on any computer I want to?

Apple wanted to do is make software designed for the hardware that they build. Less complications and pure simplistic to me this what makes it valuable and I don't have a problem with that. If Apple wanted to be like Microsoft and make a OS for anything yeah that sounds like a cool idea but look at the headaches for themselves and the users. I say NO here's why, its like forcing Mercedes Benz to be the price of a Honda. If we wanted cheap then everybody knows how to get to a Walmart and you don't need Google Maps to find one either. On that note people need to get over the notion using a cheap Compaq to run Mac OS X. It's beyond cheap it really pathetic of how low you can go and you have no shame about it. I hope Psystar and whoever support them suffer!
post #62 of 69
Quote:

This ad is hilarious.

It's so funny how it *looks* like an Apple ad, yet is poorly executed and "cheap" with a lot of mistakes.
Wow, is that a perfect metaphor for Psystar itself or what?!

Why would I buy anything from a company that can't spell anything properly, and who's advertising "artist" doesn't even know how to make a drop shadow?
(don't even get me started on the box)

Wonder if they have had their letter from Apples lawyers to remove that ad considering they will not have had any permission to use any of apples logos or artwork.

All of this crap with psystar could easily be sorted. Apple just need to raise the price of OS X to $5,000 per copy which is discounted for Apple hardware owners down to $29. You can order OS X online by completing the order form and filling out your hardware serial numbers and then after processing you are charged $29 or you can pop into an Apple store and pickup a copy for $5,000. Of course the copies would be kept in a vault at the back of the store to prevent the shoplifters.

The $5,000 price tag can easily be justified by Apple by stating "The higher price tag reflects the fact that if you have not purchased a Mac computer you have in no way contributed to the R & D costs for the operating system. This extra levy is your end of our R & D costs."
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It wont make Apple realize anything. Apple knows they could sell a lot of mid range desktops. They are also aware that the profit margins in the desktop market are small and shrinking. They would sell a lot of desktops, but they wouldn't make a lot of money, this is the same reason they are not in the netbook market. It does suck for the consumer, but Apple is free to make the choice of what they sell.

No not at all. Desktop parts are cheaper than laptop parts. They would make more money selling a core i5/i7 based desktop sans the monitor at the same price point as an iMac. Of course this would kill that horrendously over priced "desktop performance" single processor MacPro. The workstation class dual CPU MacPro would most likely remain unaffected.
post #64 of 69
Bottom line is:

Psystar

2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeon Nehalem
3x 1TB HDD
12GB RAM
GeForce GTX 285 1GB
3 years warranty
---------------------------
$ 2450

Apple

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
3x 1TB HDD
12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
AppleCare
--------------------------------------
$ 5000

Quite bizzare I'd say!

// hahaha this is funny (Tom from Inquirer comment )
If they win Apple. Apples wont be exclusive anymore and half their users will have to find something else to pose with.
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Bottom line is:

Psystar

3x 1TB HDD
12GB RAM
GeForce GTX 285 1GB
3 years warranty
$ 2450

Apple

3x 1TB HDD
12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
AppleCare
$ 5000

Quite bizzare I'd say!

If they win Apple. Apples wont be exclusive anymore and half their users will have to find something else to pose with.

Several things.

1) The Apple computer above s a Mac Pro ie a mac for a professional. No professional in their right mind is going to order from a company that looks like it is run by Bonzo the Chimp's long lost relatives.

2) By Psystar's own web website they only go up to 12GB DDR3 1333 on their Open(7) while the Mac Pro Quad-Core can be ordered from apple with as much as 16GB DDR2 PC2-6400. The problem is there is NO information on how many slots the Open(7) has. As ixbtlabs shows there is not much difference performancewise between the DDR3 1333 and DDR2 800 RAM.

Early studies Psystar benchmark performance fair, but Open Computer lacks polish showed performance in the Mac mini/iMac/MB/MBP range but nowhere near the performance of the Mac pro series. Macworld's benchmarks in
How Psystars computer measures up to a Mac also showed speed issues.

3) Point 2 brings up a major problem with the Build your own machine (or Frankenstein computer) approach that Psystar is using--lack of speed efficient configuration. The other issue is quality.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Bottom line is:

Psystar

3x 1TB HDD
12GB RAM
GeForce GTX 285 1GB
3 years warranty
$ 2450

Apple

3x 1TB HDD
12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
AppleCare
$ 5000

Quite bizzare I'd say!

The destruction of Apple's entire Mac business model is about as likely as frogs doing fractions.
post #67 of 69
I sure hope this company goes down hard some day. I hate people who try to live off the success of others. I still do not see how this is taking so long to get rid of this Psystar. They are guilty of theft and copyright infringement and a hundred other broken laws. You have to hack OS X to run on anything other than a mac and that is illegal. And it plainly says in Apples user agreement for OS X that it is illegal to install it on anything other than a computer manufactured by Apple with an apple logo. It's not that hard to see that this company is guilty. OS X is optimized to run on mac hardware anyway, why would you want to run it on a PC? PC's are made of hundred different parts all made by different manufacturers from different parts of the world and are made to run in millions of different configurations. Apple computers have parts made by different manufacturers but are made specifically for the system they are put in. My imac 2.8 core 2 extreme has a cpu that is not in any other computer in the world other than my model imac. All the parts inside are optimized to work together. PC's are not like this. They have the same parts but have millions of different configurations that are not fully tested to work with each other and with windows running them they are far from working at their full potential. This is why a Mac just works!
post #68 of 69
You can't license something you don't yourself have a License to.
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

s. For example you can make backups of your own DVDs but you can't print hundreds of copies and sell them out the trunk of your car.

actually you can't. well not always. the DMCA makes it a criminal act to circumvent access control so if the original DVD has copy protection on it, you can't just make that backup.

the catch is the same as the hackintosh issue. if you are doing it for yourself and not sharing the knowledge you aren't likely to get caught. but if you are blasting it all over the internet, well's that's your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

but Apple is free to make the choice of what they sell.

yep. add to this that just because Apple choses not to sell something (like a mid range tower) doesn't give anyone else the right to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Wonder if they have had their letter from Apples lawyers to remove that ad considering they will not have had any permission to use any of apples logos or artwork.

they have been doing that for a while and I'm sure it's in the lawsuits.

as for the $1000 solution. how about this one. the only way to get the OS is by buying a computer. you got tiger and you want snow leopard. too bad, buy a new computer. that would take care of it quite nicely. and since the software is really about selling hardware. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookmag View Post

I still do not see how this is taking so long to get rid of this Psystar. They are guilty of theft and copyright infringement and a hundred other broken laws.

because this is a country of laws and systems. you can't just go take a shotgun or a flame thrower to someone or something. Apple has filed the suits and it's in progress.

All that's left is:

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Psystar sells Snow Leopard virtualization to third-parties