or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users

Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users

post #1 of 144
Some services currently exclusive to Microsoft's Zune platform, such as subscription music downloads, could be extended to Apple products like the iPod in the future, a new report has suggested.

Jose Pinero, director of communications for Microsoft's TV, Video and Music Business, told Mary-Jo Foley of ZDNet that his company is considering whether to port Zune software and services to other platforms, like those offered by Apple. In addition to the Zune HD hardware, Microsoft also creates accompanying software for purchasing and playback of music, as well as syncing with the device. Such software is not currently available for Mac, nor does it sync with the iPod for Windows users.

Pinero declined to elaborate on whether any potential expansion could allow Zune subscriptions to be synced with the iPod, though Foley noted that her Zune Pass subscription works with a Sony Walkman MP3 player. It's also possible that the Zune desktop media player could be ported to the Mac.

"We are evaluating a lot of options in terms of platforms," was all Pinero said.

Yet another possible option could be an iPhone/iPod touch application. Rhapsody's App Store offering currently allows subscribers to stream its music library to their handheld device.

Mac and Linux users can already stream music from a browser as part of the new Zune 4.0 software, if they have a Zune Pass subscription. For $14.99 per month, customers can also choose 10 songs per month to keep forever, even after the subscription is canceled. It is currently only available in North America.

Though it has been rumored numerous times over the years, iTunes does not currently offer an "all you can eat" subscription music service like Zune Pass. Such plans from Microsoft and Rhapsody charge a flat monthly rate to allow access to the entire catalog of music, and that content remains accessible on a computer and portable media players as long as the subscription is in good standing.

After launching last month, the Zune HD garnered mostly positive reviews, praising its slick design and compelling features like Wi-Fi syncing and HD radio. Microsoft has said it intends to release at least one more update to the Zune hardware, but beyond that, it views the market as mostly a software and services platform.

"So what would it mean to take the Zune experience to Apple users?" Foley asked. "Simply make it easier for iPods/iTouch devices to connect to Zune Pass and to run the Zune software? I didn’t get any more specifics from Pinero."
post #2 of 144
why not just write an iphone app to buy a zune pass and listen to music?
post #3 of 144
OK, Microshaft, how much do you want me to pay you, NOT to release any Zune services, software etc

We don't any bug ridden, user unfriendly software. I know its difficult to change a habit of lifetime, but people are fed up with your sub standard software. Thank You.
post #4 of 144
As much as I dislike Microsoft and all that they stand for, I hope the Zune is marginally successful. Not because I aspire to ever get one, but simply to keep Apple on their toes and keep price pressure on the iPod. Competition, and all that...
post #5 of 144
We don't need it. Really.
post #6 of 144
Maybe we'll have to wait as long as MSN Messenger with video
post #7 of 144
It would be awfully funny if they did.

Because then Zune media services would have better integration with iPods than XBoxes, Live Marketplace and Windows PCs. (Microsoft's media service integration is an embarrassing mess, despite Live on the 360 being a damn good service and well worth the annual subscription).
post #8 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

OK, Microshaft, how much do you want me to pay you, NOT to release any Zune services, software etc

We don't any bug ridden, user unfriendly software. I know its difficult to change a habit of lifetime, but people are fed up with your sub standard software. Thank You.

To blindly profess that all software Microsoft writes is crap is to rob yourself of ability to believe that competition encourages your favorite company to innovate.
post #9 of 144
Just the reason I buy iPods, so I can use lousy Microsoft services. Funny!
post #10 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

To blindly profess that all software Microsoft writes is crap is to rob yourself of ability to believe that competition encourages your favorite company to innovate.

One word: History.
Windows 3 was pretty good, but those were simpler times.
Windows 9X and XP Home should not have been unleashed on the world without security measures. I believe they thought it too complex an issue for an average user, and chose to ignore the issue. Very arrogant.

The Windows 95 interface was nice, but they pretty much copied what Silicon Graphics was already doing.

I'll believe they can write good software when I see it. Windows 7 is being hyped now. Maybe they have been pushed by Apple. Nothing wrong with competition, Microsoft just isn't used to it!
post #11 of 144
I one that would welcome this change with open arms! I am an iPhone customer who loves the idea of the Zune Pass, $15 a month and you get to keep ten songs of your choice. The Zune HD is an impressive device, but since I have an iPhone, and Microsoft is touting Zune as a software platform rather than hardware, it doesn't make sense for me to carry around two devices that do nearly the same thing.

However, in light of Rhapsody getting accepted into the app store, I may not have to worry about it at all. Using the Zune software on the iPhone would be a fantastic thing - best of both worlds.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com

post #12 of 144
Dear Microsoft,

We don't need your stinking Zune's services. Period.

Don't go away mad....

...just go away!.

Now, please?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #13 of 144
Quote:
I'll believe they can write good software when I see it. Windows 7 is being hyped now. Maybe they have been pushed by Apple. Nothing wrong with competition, Microsoft just isn't used to it!

Okay, how about another history lesson. Remember IBM? They were the top dogs in the industry long before Microsoft had its reign. People laugh and point at Windows 95 as Microsoft's attempt to "catch up" to the rest of the world. Apple was laughing hysterically at Microsoft at the time, making fun of little facts like "Oh, now they can support long-format names, like we have been doing for 10 years."

No one had taken Microsoft seriously until Windows 95, and do you know why? Obviously someone liked it, because it fulfilled what the technology industry needed at the time in the consumer market, far superior to anything Apple or anything else had at the time.

Edit: I don't like defending any company based on its past or present history. Vista was atrocious, and Windows 7 is amazing. Just like Tiger was a mess and Leopard is terrific. If a company makes a good product, who cares about its past? Hell, Apple's OS 9 was utter crap. Are you telling me I should judge the company today based on something they made 10 years ago??

post #14 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Okay, how about another history lesson. Remember IBM? They were the top dogs in the industry long before Microsoft had its reign. People laugh and point at Windows 95 as Microsoft's attempt to "catch up" to the rest of the world. Apple was laughing hysterically at Microsoft at the time, making fun of little facts like "Oh, now they can support long-format names, like we have been doing for 10 years."

No one had taken Microsoft seriously until Windows 95, and do you know why? Obviously someone liked it, because it fulfilled what the technology industry needed at the time in the consumer market, far superior to anything Apple or anything else had at the time.

Edit: I don't like defending any company based on its past or present history. Vista was atrocious, and Windows 7 is amazing. Just like Tiger was a mess and Leopard is terrific. If a company makes a good product, who cares about its past? Hell, Apple's OS 9 was utter crap. Are you telling me I should judge the company today based on something they made 10 years ago??

Zune HD is about to fall out of the top 10 in Amazon's mp3 player rankings.

It's sinking fast.

This is just not an area Microsoft will ever get. They've had a decade to get it.
post #15 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We don't need it. Really.

HaHA- I was waiting how long before I saw your typical MS hate diatribe. (4th post- not bad)

Now do we really think Apple would open up the iPod to this? Apple would probably jailbreak our iPods if we dare add this.
post #16 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's sinking fast.

Really? Then why is it always sold out at Best Buy here in NY?
post #17 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? Then why is it always sold out at Best Buy here in NY?

Perhaps because they don't stock many?

There's a difference between Amazon's actual sales rankings and anecdotal inventory reports from a single physical retailer.
post #18 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Perhaps because they don't stock many?

There's a difference between Amazon's actual sales rankings and anecdotal inventory reports from a single physical retailer.

Or maybe because it's like an actual good device that garnished decent reviews and that like people are actually buying?
post #19 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's sinking fast.

This is just not an area Microsoft will ever get. They've had a decade to get it.

Part of the reason for that is because the Zune HD is only available in the United States, while the iPod is sold worldwide. I'm not keen as to why MS has limited the sales only to home, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that they see the Zune as a software/subscription platform, and much less a hardware device. Microsoft is a platform company, after all, dabbling in console gaming, mobile, and of course, the desktop. To them, it would seem that selling the Zune hardware in countries that can't access the Zune software wouldn't make much sense (they realize that without the subscription, the iPod would just kill them).

In a few years, Zune is going to be known less as a device, and more as an entertainment brand. They're already adding Zune capabilities to the Xbox, and have plans to add it as the media functions running on top of Windows Mobile and, possibly, other devices as well. We may see it replace Media Center and Media Player in a future version of Windows, unifying all the media abilities of the operating system to the one brand.

That's why it makes sense to extend the Zune service to Apple users. If they make the brand available to Mac and iPhone users as a viable subscription-based alternative to iTunes, that could be a very, very big deal. Not to mention that the record industry would love seeing such strong competition to iTunes, so that Apple won't hold all the cards as Walmart did just a few years ago.

post #20 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Or maybe because it's like an actual good device that garnished decent reviews and that like people are actually buying?

Right... like the old Zune? People bought those too only to use them as doorstops a few months later due to Microsoft's inability to create a decent interface and their amazing ability to over-hype a product.
post #21 of 144
This is similar to why I never wanted a Blackberry. It has taken the rise of iPhones and iPods for other companies to finally even *consider* writing their software for the Mac. It's stupid.

I feel that the iPhone and iPod are products made especially for my needs, aka, seamless syncing with my Apple computer. RIM and Micro$oft have taken tooooo long in their attempts to get friendly with Apple users, so I find NO reason to give either of them the time of day after they've given us the shaft for so many years.
post #22 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Right... like the old Zune? People bought those too only to use them as doorstops a few months later due to Microsoft's inability to create a decent interface and their amazing ability to over-hype a product.

1.) The old Zune didn't get decent reviews.
2,) What are people using iPod HiFis these days for? Aren't they incompatible with today's iPods?
post #23 of 144
Quote:

The last generation of Zune really was good. The interface was on par, and perhaps better in some areas that the iPods (I'm comparing my experience with the 120 Zune and iPod classic).

I don't care if I can get my Zune Pass working on my iPod, I'd just like an OSX version of the Zune software so I can sync my Zune without booting Windows.
post #24 of 144
Quote:

Myabe you should actually review the Zune HD, before passing comments (http://cnettv.cnet.com/zune-hd-vs-ip...-50077615.html). It is actually looks like a good product. I personally would not buy the Zune HD because i invested so much time and money into my iPhone. If I was a newbie going out to buy my first media player, I would give it serious consideration.

Zune Store allows iPod interface, not sure I can see that happening. Doesn't Apple make more money off the hardware, then the iTunes store? MS does the marketing and sells iPods for Apple, interesting concept.
post #25 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Myabe you should actually review the Zune HD, before passing comments (http://cnettv.cnet.com/zune-hd-vs-ip...-50077615.html). It is actually looks like a good product. I personally would not buy the Zune HD because i invested so much time and money into my iPhone. If I was a newbie going out to buy my first media player, I would give it serious consideration.

Zune Store allows iPod interface, not sure I can see that happening. Doesn't Apple make more money off the hardware, then the iTunes store? MS does the marketing and sells iPods for Apple, interesting concept.

I've been wanting a chance to at least look at the thing ( curious about the OLED screen) but it is always sold out and the floor model was removed for a week at Best BUy.
post #26 of 144
Anyone check out the sales rankings on Amazon for the Zune HDs? The Zune HD 16GB is about at 150th place, and the Zune 32GB HD has fallen to about 44th place:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...ef=pd_ts_e_nav

Of course, this lack of consumer interest can be extrapolated to other retailers. Also, MS short-supplied the retailers, so that the Zune HDs would appear to sell-out:

"Zune HD Quickly Selling Out at Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy"

"Of course, as commenters have pointed out, it's possible, if not probable, that Microsoft is using the time-tested tactic of short supply to make sure it sells out everywhere. Until we get some hard numbers, there's no way to tell. In the meantime, here's how it shakes down (notice Microsoft's online store seems to have plenty of units)."

http://tinyurl.com/n4ab87

Jobs is a visionary, while Gates is a dinosaur. MS tries to copy everything Apple does, and it is too late. This just smacks of desperation on MS's part.
post #27 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I always have to laugh at the people on this forum that want to continue the 1970 minset of MS aqainst Apple. Its even more idiotic considering if it wasnt for MS or MS users the ipod would be a dead product by now. Do they really believe all those sales come from Apple users, what a joke.

What if MS didn't allow itunes to load onto Windows. There would be about a 95% drop the following year in ipod sales.

Fact is if you couldn't sync an iphone or ipod to a windows system both would be dead. So bashing a company that help promote apples says seems kind of stupid to me.

I disagree with your comments, since it is not windows that makes iTunes, iPod, iPhone successful. If MS had not invented windows, we would have some other operating system being used by majority of people and Apple would have catered for that market.

MS can not stop iTunes from being loadied on windows or MS would found themselves in hot water with USA and EC commissions, since MS would be trying to control the market and their competition.

iPod/iPhone/iTunes are successful due to its seamless interface, Apple's innovation and able to ensure that their products work on all major operating systems.
post #28 of 144
Quote:

I one that would welcome this change with open arms! I am an iPhone customer who loves the idea of the Zune Pass, $15 a month and you get to keep ten songs of your choice.

keep in mind that when you stop playing the monthly fee the other hundreds of songs are gone.

look at the math for a moment. To acquire 1000 songs for good with a zune pass, at 10 'keepers' a month ($15 a month), you'll spend 8 years and 4 months at a cost of $1500 plus any required taxes.

buying outright from itunes or Amazon, at the higher track cost of $1.29 that's $1290 plus any required taxes at most for a savings of $210 and you can have them as fast as your bandwidth and wishlist allows. And if you buy any albums that's more money saved, plus their are older tracks that are only 99 cents and some could dip as low as 69 cents if the labels feel inclined.

so you have to ask yourself, if it really as great a deal as you think.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #29 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketRadio View Post

Anyone check out the sales rankings on Amazon for the Zune HDs? The Zune HD 16GB is about at 150th place, and the Zune 32GB HD has fallen to about 44th place:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...ef=pd_ts_e_nav

Of course, this lack of consumer interest can be extrapolated to other retailers. Also, MS short-supplied the retailers, so that the Zune HDs would appear to sell-out:

"Zune HD Quickly Selling Out at Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy"

"Of course, as commenters have pointed out, it's possible, if not probable, that Microsoft is using the time-tested tactic of short supply to make sure it sells out everywhere. Until we get some hard numbers, there's no way to tell. In the meantime, here's how it shakes down (notice Microsoft's online store seems to have plenty of units)."

http://tinyurl.com/n4ab87

Jobs is a visionary, while Gates is a dinosaur. MS tries to copy everything Apple does, and it is too late. This just smacks of desperation on MS's part.

Right.... except Gates isn't in charge of Microsoft anymore, and Steve Jobs has been out of commission for the better half of a year at Apple.

So now you are an economic analyst who's able to look at data figures of total (presumably worldwide) sales of a device that is only available in *one* country, and through extensive calculations are able to conclude that a product highly rated, highly reviewed, and sells out in almost every retail market chain out there is, indeed, a "flop."

You know, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the first few iPods were considered a "flop" as well. Nothing really moved until the iPod nano, about six or seven generations and models in.

post #30 of 144
Quote:

You are incorrect. They are successful because Windows users decide to use them. Over 90% of ipods and iphones are synced to Windows systems.
Steve Jobs is one of the biggest protection freaks in the world.

Really- is that documented ? That is really informative.
post #31 of 144
Wow, the MS haters are out today. Jumping to conclusions like a cat on cat nip, when they haven't seen the product yet.

Anyhow, I'm glad MS is doing this. Opening up their content to more than just their device is, well, mature.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #32 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

keep in mind that when you stop playing the monthly fee the other hundreds of songs are gone.

look at the math for a moment. To acquire 1000 songs for good with a zune pass, at 10 'keepers' a month ($15 a month), you'll spend 8 years and 4 months at a cost of $1500 plus any required taxes.

buying outright from itunes or Amazon, at the higher track cost of $1.29 that's $1290 plus any required taxes at most for a savings of $210 and you can have them as fast as your bandwidth and wishlist allows. And if you buy any albums that's more money saved, plus their are older tracks that are only 99 cents and some could dip as low as 69 cents if the labels feel inclined.

Jobs and Co would jailbreak the iPod- just wait. You'd be left with a nice mirror in the Touch's case and a nice paperweight in the iPhone's case or a shingle and a brick- take your pick.
post #33 of 144
Quote:

There would be about a 95% drop the following year in ipod sales.

...or 95% increase in Mac sales. Have to admit that the iPod I bought was the first step in going over to Apple.

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

post #34 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I have asked myself... and the answer is yes. Yes, it is, indeed, as great a deal as I thought ^_^.

If I followed the iTunes model that you described, I would either have to spend $1290 plus tax upfront, or wait 8 years and 4 months to acquire them all. In the meantime, I could spend $15 per month from the start, and have access to *ALL* of those songs immediately. The difference of $2000 would be the price to have an unlimited collection of new music available instantly for all those years.

Also, you may not be aware that the Zune pass and Zune software have other benefits as well. Think of iTunes Genius, how it organizes playlists for you based on the type of music in your library. Now, have that same functionality extended to songs you don't already own, songs that aren't in your library. This is an excellent feature of the Zune, where you can press a button that will fill up your player with tons of new music based off the songs you love. *AND,* the Zune will automatically refresh that list weekly and wirelessly, so every week new music is available on your device to discover and enjoy.

iTunes certainly doesn't do that.

I would see your point if the songs went away when the subscription ends, but like a lot of these services (Zune, Audible, etc), they allow you to keep a certain amount per month at no extra charge. Ten songs per month? Hell, that's more than I spend on iTunes today.

I'd be exposed to much more music than I otherwise would be able to legally, I can control what I could listen to as often as I'd like, I get to keep, essentially, one album per month, and the record industry gets more of my money in their greedy little hands than they otherwise would.

Again, iTunes does not do that.

post #35 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Wow, the MS haters are out today. Jumping to conclusions like a cat on cat nip, when they haven't seen the product yet.

Anyhow, I'm glad MS is doing this. Opening up their content to more than just their device is, well, mature.

Not to mention that the software, if any, would be an optional download

I can promise this, though. No matter how good it may be, you won't see a Zune app on the app store for anything more than 2 stars. Can you imagine how many haters would be on that thing just constantly downloading and deleting it to get the privilage of giving it 1 of out 5 simply for being a Microsoft product.

Sad, really, that people have such loyalties to business. Praise the product, not the company.

post #36 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Microshaft makes mediocre software at best. But most MS products are crap like you stated. I prefer other companies like Adobe, Oracle and 10 others. Apple always has always innovated regardless of the competition. The whole world would be better off without Microshaft. They strangle innovation, and try to kill competition illegally, as stated by numerous courts in the US and Europe. Without Windows, MS would probably not exist as a company.
post #37 of 144
Quote:

You are incorrect. They are successful because Windows users decide to use them. Over 90% of ipods and iphones are synced to Windows systems.

Not sure how to respond to the if Windows was never invented. What I can say is I still doubt Apple would have been the OS leader seeing in 30 years they still haven't been able to come up with a decent Office Suite. Also if Apple really wanted to cater to the market they would have opened up their OS a long time ago. Clearly they can not manage all the hardware option out in the world like MS can.

Steve Jobs is one of the biggest protection freaks in the world.

Do you want to retract that statement ' They are successful because windows users decide to use them'

What was the reason windows users decided to purchase iPod/iPhone and use the iTunes store.

Again it has nothing to do with operating system, it could be OS2, Linux or even Souliisoul windows being the market leader. People buy iPod/iPhone because its the best product out there and seamless with whatever operating system on their PC.

Tell me why Zune never took off, since it is MS product and loyal windows users should have bought the product.

I do agree with one point, it useless bashing MS, since there mistakes are Apple's gains. MS keep up the good work
post #38 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

Microshaft makes mediocre software at best. But most MS products are crap like you stated. I prefer other companies like Adobe, Oracle and 10 others. Apple always has always innovated regardless of the competition. The whole world would be better off without Microshaft. They strangle innovation, and try to kill competition illegally, as stated by numerous courts in the US and Europe. Without Windows, MS would probably not exist as a company.

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally? That's a pretty bold statement. And I suppose Apple's draconian control over the iPhone and app store, able to ban applications they consider "duplicating iPhone functionality" isn't stifling innovation or competition?

Apple does more to kill competition than Microsoft ever had. The different being that Apple isn't considered a monopoly, so they're allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how disgusting they may be. (And yes, I say that as an iPhone user).

post #39 of 144
Quote:

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally? That's a pretty bold statement. And I suppose Apple's draconian control over the iPhone and app store, able to ban applications they consider "duplicating iPhone functionality" isn't stifling innovation or competition?

Apple does more to kill competition than Microsoft ever had. The different being that Apple isn't considered a monopoly, so they're allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how disgusting they may be. (And yes, I say that as an iPhone user).

come lets not get carried away here, MS were the ones that were sued for their internet browser behavior, which affected numerous companies.

MS still has a great lead on Apple when it comes to killing competition, but I understand your point.
post #40 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Tell me why Zune never took off, since it is MS product and loyal windows users should have bought the product.

I do agree with one point, it useless bashing MS, since there mistakes are Apple's gains. MS keep up the good work

Because the Zune was a horrible product when it first came out, much like Windows Vista was, and still is, a horrible operating system. It was also only sold in two countries, the US and Canada.

The part you're mistaken of, my friend, is this concept of loyalty to ANY of these companies. I love the Mac and I own an iPhone, but that doesn't mean I'll ever be loyal to Apple. For one, I *hate* iTunes, but I learn to use and put up with it because its the only software that will talk to my iPhone. Speaking of which, I *hate* how restrictive the App Store is, but I feel that its still superior to any other mobile platform on the market (for now).

The same attitude fits Microsoft. I *hate* Vista, but love Windows 7. I think the Zune HD is a cool device, when previous generations made me yawn. I also love the Zune Pass subscription idea, even if the Zune software itself has much to be desired.

I'm not a fan of Apple or Microsoft. I'm a fan of products that work and are fantastic. The iPhone is a wonderful device. Windows 7 and the Zune are excellent products. But that doesn't mean that I'll automatically love the next product either company comes up with.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users