or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Bible --- Too liberal For Some

The Bible --- Too liberal For Some - Page 3

post #81 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Nature includes force(s). \

OK, so which force is responsible for the phenomena that is the physical world, collectively?
post #82 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

OK, so which force is responsible for the phenomena that is the physical world, collectively?

There is no such thing as "the phenomena that is the physical world" as the physical world just is.

I don't have to invent/invoke deity/deities over tens of millenia that look suspiciously human in form.

In other words, I don't need to anthropomorphize the unknown/unknowable simply for the sake of anthropomorphizing the unknown/unknowable (ad nauseam, ad infinitun) as it is TBD.

That's why I am an agnostic, because I can admit and submit that I/we just don't know.

Got it?
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #83 of 346
Quote:

That's why I am an agnostic, because I can admit and submit that I/we just don't know.

Got it?

Got it - you just don't know, yet your belief system is superior to other belief systems... 'cause it doesn't have a face.

The logic of that position is inarguable. Then again, I find belief systems pertaining to creation and such inarguable, as I've said in an earlier post. Even so, I'd bet you could find an argument from someone if you tried hard enough.
post #84 of 346
Quote:

Got it - you just don't know, yet your belief system is superior to other belief systems... 'cause it doesn't have a face.

Strawmen. I don't have a belief system. Superior? Again see Anthropomorphism.

The phrase "I don't know" is not a belief system, in and of itself.

It is not testable.
post #85 of 346
Quote:

But the only "proof" that any spiritualism can lay claim to is "there is a force responsible for the order that exists", but the source of that order is just as likely to be some "self-conscious entity that is directly engaged in our lives and sent his only son", as it is a "naturally ordered matrix"... "God" as opposed to "nature", since there is no sure explanation possible for creation in the first place. ANYthing in between is purely speculative no matter what the rationale, so one set of beliefs has as much going for it as another.

I don't see how some folks be critical of other folks beliefs.

Three points: 'Proof' is really not the issue in such matters. There may never be any proof of matters related to God - that may be the whole point.

2) Beliefs being as good as each other: I don't agree. Belief must be based on some sort of reason. I don't mean that of the scientific sort or in the manner that atheists often demand....rather I mean it should be internally consistent.

For example, if a text claims that God has foreknowledge of all future events and yet portrays this God has having no such knowledge or being somehow hampered by it then this is illogical. The idea itself of a God with foreknowledge is not - imo - the thing that is irrational but rather the claim that God has this but acts as if he does not.

There are literally hundreds of examples of this in the Bible and Xian theology is largely an attempt to get round it. That's why the Devil is such a key figure - itself a classic example of an illogical element in the structure.

3) Critical of other folks beliefs. I don't believe that there are no beliefs you are critical of. There are many that should be opposed.

I am sure you can find your own examples and I'm equally sure that you yourself oppose some beliefs.

It all depends where you draw the line I suppose.

Even Jesus is said to oppose some beliefs to the extent that he ended up causing some aggro in the Temple and the opposition that God Himself is claimed to evince towards certain groups and activities is also well known.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #86 of 346
Quote:

Strawmen. I don't have a belief system. Superior? Again see Anthropomorphism.

The phrase "I don't know" is not a belief system, in and of itself.

It is not testable.

Agnosticism is a philosophical viewpoint, not a belief system, but your insistence on contrasting agnosticism as the means of criticizing belief systems puts them in the same category, by association.

Or not, which makes your contribution to this portion of the thread non sequitur, take your pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I don't believe that there are no beliefs you are critical of.

Sure there are - those beliefs that folks use as license to step of other folks toes.

And stepping on other folks toes includes holding other belief systems up for ridicule.
post #87 of 346
Quote:

Agnosticism is a philosophical viewpoint, not a belief system, but your insistence on contrasting agnosticism as the means of criticizing belief systems puts them in the same category, by association.

Or not, which makes your contribution to this portion of the thread non sequitur, take your pick.

Guilt by association is a logical fallacy.

As such, I am free to criticize any and all belief systems, even if only to criticize for the sake of criticism.

Therefore, it does follow, that to take a neutral position, is the only position one can take, when evaluating any and all belief systems.
post #88 of 346
Quote:

Guilt by association is a logical fallacy.

That's irrelevant, since I didn't make the association nor ascribe any guilt for folks holding any belief system or philosophy.
Quote:
As such, I am free to criticize any and all belief systems, even if only to criticize for the sake of criticism.

How can one be critical when they "just don't know"? If you don't know, then you can't hold a position that someone else is incorrect.

Lack of evidence proves a position untenable, not incorrect.

Quote:
Therefore, it does follow, that to take a neutral position, is the only position one can take, when evaluating any and all belief systems.

A neutral position, yes, but how can someone with a neutral position criticize another? That's the antithesis of neutral.
post #89 of 346
Quote:

That's irrelevant, since I didn't make the association nor ascribe any guilt for folks holding any belief system or philosophy.How can one be critical when they "just don't know"? If you don't know, then you can't hold a position that someone else is incorrect.

Lack of evidence proves a position untenable, not incorrect.

A neutral position, yes, but how can someone with a neutral position criticize another? That's the antithesis of neutral.

You were the one positing an either or conditional. However, I was not. Ergo, door number three (or more).

As such, it should go without saying (but to be quite clear), I am critical of all positions that are not neutral.

See safe harbor.

Quote:
The term safe harbor (safe harbour) has several special usages, in an analogy with its literal meaning, that of a harbor or haven which provides safety from weather or attack.
post #90 of 346
Quote:

You were the one positing an either or conditional. However, I was not. Ergo, door number three (or more).

You can know something is incorrect when admitting you don't know what is correct? Nope - you can believe it is, but then you're drawing on your beliefs. Hard to do that then claim no belief system. Impossible, I'd say.
Quote:
As such, it should go without saying (but to be quite clear), I am critical of all positions that are not neutral.

See safe harbor.

So, tell me, what creditability would you give to an admitted agnostic's determination of a neutral metaphysical belief system? I'm thinking none, by definition.
post #91 of 346
Quote:

You can know something is incorrect when admitting you don't know what is correct? Nope - you can believe it is, but then you're drawing on your beliefs. Hard to do that then claim no belief system. Impossible, I'd say.So, tell me, what creditability would you give to an admitted agnostic's determination of a neutral metaphysical belief system? I'm thinking none, by definition.

My logic is airtight, yours on the other hand is so full of strawmen I don't even know where to begin, so I won't.

You would appear to believe or have Beliefs, I on the other hand do not believe or have Beliefs.

I know it's a little hard to twist your ...... head around this lack of beliefs concept, and it would appear that I can't help you come to a complete understanding of said concept.

Now you are simply boring me and wasting my time.
post #92 of 346
Quote:

My logic is airtight, yours on the other hand is so full of strawmen I don't even know where to begin, so I won't.

You would appear to believe or have Beliefs, I on the other hand do not believe or have Beliefs.

I know it's a little hard to twist your ...... head around this lack of beliefs concept, and it would appear that I can't help you come to a complete understanding of said concept.

Now you are simply boring me and wasting my time.

Do you actually believe that? \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #93 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Do you actually believe that? \

Loaded question.

It's a cold hard bone fide fact.

Honed by over five decades of very disciplined training of 100% pure knowledge based acquisition.
post #94 of 346
Quote:

Loaded question.

It's a cold hard bone fide fact.

Honed by over five decades of very disciplined training of 100% pure knowledge based acquisition.

So yes, you do believe it?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #95 of 346
Quote:

So yes, you do believe it?

Is there a diaper so dirty that God could not change it?
post #96 of 346
Quote:

Is there a diaper so dirty that God could not change it?

Is there a thought process so convoluted that even the person that thought it could not defend it?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #97 of 346
Quote:

Is there a thought process so convoluted that even the person that thought it could not defend it?

Are there people who want to put their own words and thoughts into other people's words and thoughts?
post #98 of 346
Quote:

Are there people who want to put their own words and thoughts into other people's words and thoughts?

Everywhere.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #99 of 346
Quote:

Organized Religion? ZING!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #100 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Organized Religion? ZING!

Ba Dum Bump! Don't forget to tip your waiter!

It's like simple addition compared to what some on these forums claim to espouse...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #101 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahj View Post

ba dum bump! Don't forget to tip your waiter!

It's like simple addition compared to what some on these forums claim to espouse...

2 + 2 = god did it!

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #102 of 346
Quote:

2 + 2 = god did it!

See how easy that is compared to some other lines of thought?

Sarcasm can be overdone though...

Seriously, how difficult is it really?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #103 of 346
Quote:

2 + 2 = god did it!

No, that adds up.

With Organized religion it would need to be 2 + 3 = 4........ or 5 or 6 or 48953.4596 - depending on what point they were trying to 'prove'.
post #104 of 346
Quote:

No, that adds up.

With Organized religion it would need to be 2 + 3 = 4........ or 5 or 6 or 48953.4596 - depending on what point they were trying to 'prove'.

Looks like you have your new sig...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #105 of 346
Quote:

Looks like you have your new sig...

It's kinda true, sadly.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #106 of 346
Quote:

It's kinda true, sadly.

It can be. Not in every case as this appears to suggest though.
2+2 obviously = John 3:16 (God did it)
feel free to make a signature from that.

I have no love lost with most organized religions. I cannot stand phoney people. However there is no "one size fits all" follower of any organized religion. Most are looking for an easy answer to a long standing question. And most don't realize the answer is actually very easy, and yet quite difficult at the same time due to an inability to accept at face value the simple answer.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #107 of 346
Quote:

Most are looking for an easy answer to a long standing question.

That's fair enough. That's the same boat we're all in....looking for an answer.

Looking for an 'easy' answer though is a different matter. It is kind of an ingratitude no?

Like if Einstein were to say "I'm interested in working this Relativity thing out but it had better be simple or I'm not so bothered".

Quote:
And most don't realize the answer is actually very easy, and yet quite difficult at the same time due to an inability to accept at face value the simple answer.

This is where I disagree.

There is such a thing as a "Snake Oil Salesman". And they exist to give "easy answers" where "hard answers" are not what the customer wants. But is Snake Oil all the same.

And, with respect, I think claiming that the mysteries of the Universe are 'easy' is a bit of a disservice to our common human heritage of civilization and the philosophical/scientific thought that has underpinned it.
post #108 of 346
Quote:

It can be. Not in every case as this appears to suggest though.
2+2 obviously = John 3:16 (God did it)
feel free to make a signature from that.

I have no love lost with most organized religions. I cannot stand phoney people. However there is no "one size fits all" follower of any organized religion. Most are looking for an easy answer to a long standing question. And most don't realize the answer is actually very easy, and yet quite difficult at the same time due to an inability to accept at face value the simple answer.

Why is the simple answer Jesus and not all the other simple answers man has fabricated over its entire history? "No really, THIS is the God that is actually real" just doesn't cut it with me, but frankly that's pretty much what any response I get to that question boils down to.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #109 of 346
Quote:

Why is the simple answer Jesus and not all the other simple answers man has fabricated over its entire history? "No really, THIS is the God that is actually real" just doesn't cut it with me, but frankly that's pretty much what any response I get to that question boils down to.

2 + 2 = 4 : Jesus died for our sins and never rose again. This is a sacrifice.

2 + 2 = 9857643: Jesus died for our sins and even though he was running around again 3 days later it's still a sacrifice (just like Abraham and Isaac - though he would stay dead) and he's God anyway (though he isn't) but he's just the same as you really and still a human and even though he sacrificed to save you well, you're still going to hell....but the plan worked...it really, really, did...
post #110 of 346
Quote:

That's fair enough. That's the same boat we're all in....looking for an answer.

Looking for an 'easy' answer though is a different matter. It is kind of an ingratitude no?

Like if Einstein were to say "I'm interested in working this Relativity thing out but it had better be simple or I'm not so bothered".

This is where I disagree.

There is such a thing as a "Snake Oil Salesman". And they exist to give "easy answers" where "hard answers" are not what the customer wants. But is Snake Oil all the same.

And, with respect, I think claiming that the mysteries of the Universe are 'easy' is a bit of a disservice to our common human heritage of civilization and the philosophical/scientific thought that has underpinned it.

Now we are digging a little deeper than my 30 second sound byte went. First of all, you are correct, people should dig deeper with regards to faith and God. The issue that I was pointing out was that they want to know the answer but they don't want to work for it anymore. But your point goes a bit too far to the other side of the argument. How many people could honestly have come up with the Thoery of Relativity? That is a mystery that few are revealed to as an epiphany of sorts. God did not intend for any to be left in the cold. So of that is the case, the answer cannot be a mystery of that magnitude. But it even goes deeper than that, God loves his creation and so he made a way in for all who want in. The cost of admission is simply to accept that the price was paid.
I have heard the story my whole life. Jesus died, believe and receive. Then spend the rest of your life being a good christian and you will go to heaven. But the reality is even easier. Jesus died for the sins of all who accept that sacrifice. If you do then when you look at what love is: patient, kind, slow to anger, does not keep records of wrong, never fails, etc. God is not telling us what we have to do to be with him. He is describing himself. And people cannot get that fact because nobody on earth knows that kind of love. Not even me. I have given up trying to figure out who gets to go to heaven and who doesn't. I have come to the conclusion that this is not my business. Like the parable of the worker in the fields. I was given my promise of wages, and it is none of my business what the next person gets. I am to do my job and to assist others in theirs. I have not been appointed the boss (judge).
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #111 of 346
Quote:

How many people could honestly have come up with the Thoery of Relativity? That is a mystery that few are revealed to as an epiphany of sorts.

How many?

Depends on 'when'. Before Einstein the answer would be none. Around now - who knows...20? 30?

Maybe in a thousand years then thousands. Or more.

The point is that knowledge is evolutionary. Organized religion does not realize that - what was carved in stone millennia ago never evolved and adapted....that's a problem.

There are no absolutes.

Many religionists are merely people who have a problem with that and want some.

Quote:
God did not intend for any to be left in the cold. So of that is the case, the answer cannot be a mystery of that magnitude.

If God exists it must be one of a greater magnitude. The creator of the phenomena that Relativity explains cannot be of an order simpler than His creation.

This is the illogicality I was talking of before.

Quote:
But it even goes deeper than that, God loves his creation and so he made a way in for all who want in. The cost of admission is simply to accept that the price was paid.

No, in your paradigm God set up the rules and then refuses to change them - though He could or else He would not be God would He?

An analogy: I invent a game whereby you are a player regardless of your choice and if you fail to score beyond a certain level then you die horribly by means of a machine I have allowed other players to devise.

My excuse "I love my players and will be heartbroken when some of them die" (as they must as this is not a Zero sum game) does not cut it.

At any time I could do many things: change the rules, unplug the machine, stop the game and start a new one.

God, if He exists, cannot be limited in this manner - any God who is so limited is merely a creation of the human mind.
post #112 of 346
Quote:

How many?

Depends on 'when'. Before Einstein the answer would be none. Around now - who knows...20? 30?

Maybe in a thousand years then thousands. Or more.

The point is that knowledge is evolutionary. Organized religion does not realize that - what was carved in stone millennia ago never evolved and adapted....that's a problem.

That answer is not acceptable, you only have to wait a few thousand years to understand. Be patient. \

Quote:
There are no absolutes.

Many religionists are merely people who have a problem with that and want some.

Your position is becoming clearer to me now.

Quote:
If God exists it must be one of a greater magnitude. The creator of the phenomena that Relativity explains cannot be of an order simpler than His creation.

This is the illogicality I was talking of before.

I am not suggesting that we can ever understand or "know" God. I also do not believe that we need to in order to have a relationship with him that has meaning.

Quote:
No, in your paradigm God set up the rules and then refuses to change them - though He could or else He would not be God would He?

Thank you for telling me what I think. I have not actually spoken on that potion of my beliefs.

Quote:
An analogy: I invent a game whereby you are a player regardless of your choice and if you fail to score beyond a certain level then you die horribly by means of a machine I have allowed other players to devise.

My excuse "I love my players and will be heartbroken when some of them die" (as they must as this is not a Zero sum game) does not cut it.

At any time I could do many things: change the rules, unplug the machine, stop the game and start a new one.

God, if He exists, cannot be limited in this manner - any God who is so limited is merely a creation of the human mind.

Your interpretation of what I said is actually very wrong. I do not believe that "the other players" get to choose anything. Reread my post. It seems that you do not believe in free will as well? I don't claim to understand all the reasoning behind why God allows things to happen. Anyone who does is either very broadly generalizing or likely outright lying to you. There is also the possibility that God told them...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #113 of 346
Quote:

That answer is not acceptable, you only have to wait a few thousand years to understand. Be patient. \

The whole human race has developed over thousands of years. Well, except the religionists. They seem stuck in the medieval.

Quote:
Your position is becoming clearer to me now.

It has some way to go though still...more fog to lift as it were...

Quote:
I am not suggesting that we can ever understand or "know" God. I also do not believe that we need to in order to have a relationship with him that has meaning.

Meaningful relationships are largely a product of the mind. There is no reason why God should even know you exist...

Quote:
Thank you for telling me what I think. I have not actually spoken on that potion of my beliefs.

I think you'll find you did...

Quote:
Your interpretation of what I said is actually very wrong. I do not believe that "the other players" get to choose anything. Reread my post. It seems that you do not believe in free will as well? I don't claim to understand all the reasoning behind why God allows things to happen. Anyone who does is either very broadly generalizing or likely outright lying to you. There is also the possibility that God told them...

As it happens I do not believe in free will but that is besides the point.

The point is that an omnipotent Creator God cannot be limited by anything - the God you are postulating, or, shall we say, religionists are postulating, is a limited God.

He is a slave to the concept of free will...that is, He is subservient to it.

Or perhaps, alternatively, He is not subservient to it but believes in the concept so much He refuses to exercise His power to over-rule people's will even if it means they will rot in Hell for eternity.

Niether is plausible. And neither is a God we should really want to do anything with other than oppose.

Fortunately, this God is the product of ignoble and limited minds and we really don't need to worry too much. If He exists then it is Him who is 'evil' and those who reject Him who are 'good' but it is highly unlikely that He does so it's win-win.
post #114 of 346
Quote:

That answer is not acceptable, you only have to wait a few thousand years to understand. Be patient.

This answer will have to be "acceptable."

It took us 200,000 years to discover the existence of oxygen and understand its importance to respiration, isolate DNA, describe the mechanisms of chromosomal replication and measure the speed of light. We only started to smelt iron about 9,000 years ago.

So chill. We'll get there.
post #115 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

This answer will have to be "acceptable."

It took us 200,000 years to discover the existence of oxygen and understand its importance to respiration, isolate DNA, describe the mechanisms of chromosomal replication and measure the speed of light. We only started to smelt iron about 9,000 years ago.

So chill. We'll get there.

No it will not. The answer will come long after you are dead is not an acceptable answer for something that you need to know before you die. It is not that hard. But feel free to believe it is.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #116 of 346
Quote:

No it will not. The answer will come long after you are dead is not an acceptable answer for something that you need to know before you die. It is not that hard. But feel free to believe it is.

Only if you're a Christian. Since I am not a Christian, and I do not believe in the existence of heaven or hell, or original sin, or salvation, I'm content with the idea that we won't have it all figured out before my death. I don't like it, but I don't need to know.
post #117 of 346
Quote:

The whole human race has developed over thousands of years. Well, except the religionists. They seem stuck in the medieval.

So you are saying that God changes because people change?

Quote:
It has some way to go though still...more fog to lift as it were...

Of course. People are complex, and so are their positions.

Quote:
Meaningful relationships are largely a product of the mind. There is no reason why God should even know you exist...

That would be limiting God, would it not?

Quote:
I think you'll find you did...

In your interpretation perhaps.

Quote:
As it happens I do not believe in free will but that is besides the point.

The point is that an omnipotent Creator God cannot be limited by anything - the God you are postulating, or, shall we say, religionists are postulating, is a limited God.

He is a slave to the concept of free will...that is, He is subservient to it.

Or perhaps, alternatively, He is not subservient to it but believes in the concept so much He refuses to exercise His power to over-rule people's will even if it means they will rot in Hell for eternity.

Niether is plausible. And neither is a God we should really want to do anything with other than oppose.

Fortunately, this God is the product of ignoble and limited minds and we really don't need to worry too much. If He exists then it is Him who is 'evil' and those who reject Him who are 'good' but it is highly unlikely that He does so it's win-win.

And so the age old argument goes. If God doesn't work the way I think he should he is evil and must be destroyed. Freely given love makes a being evil. That makes perfect sense.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #118 of 346
Quote:

Only if you're a Christian. Since I am not a Christian, and I do not believe in the existence of heaven or hell, or original sin, or salvation, I'm content with the idea that we won't have it all figured out before my death. I don't like it, but I don't need to know.

That is fine, so long as you don't believe that I have think the way you do. I hope you figure it out before you die. Especially since you want to know. If you do, let me know what you figure out, I want to know what you come up with.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #119 of 346
Quote:

So you are saying that God changes because people change?

Yes. This is perfectly true. That's why no one makes sacrifice to Odin these days and Thimat doesn't have any temples.
post #120 of 346
Quote:

Yes. This is perfectly true. That's why no one makes sacrifice to Odin these days and Thimat doesn't have any temples.

That only becomes a true statement if you believe that Odin and Thimat were indeed gods.
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Bible --- Too liberal For Some