or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next mouse may not carry 'Mighty' moniker

Apple's next mouse may not carry 'Mighty' moniker

post #1 of 86
A small accessory maker announced Wednesday that it was officially awarded registration of the "Mighty Mouse" trademark, suggesting Apple's new hardware could have a different name.

Man & Machine CEO Clifton Broumand said the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office made the trademark registration official this week. Years ago, his company sued both Apple and CBS for the use of the name Mighty Mouse, which it uses for its own desktop computer mouse. As a result of the suit, Broumand said, Man & Machine was granted the exclusive right to the name.

"Others have used the name Mighty Mouse for their computer mice and have sought registration of that trademark, but now the United States government has spoken," Broumand said. "We look forward to the continuation and expansion of the Mighty Mouse line of waterproof mice.” "

His company's Mighty Mouse is a dishwasher-safe product that can be easily cleaned to help prevent infectious diseases. Apple's own Mighty Mouse is a multi-button mouse with a scroll ball.

Apple licenses the Mighty Mouse name from CBS, which owns trademarks associated with the cartoon character. But with this week's trademark ruling, Broumand said the name is now owned by his company. He told AppleInsider that Apple has not approached Man & Machine to use the Mighty Mouse name.

Sources have said that Apple plans to introduce a new multi-touch mouse that will do away with the Mighty Mouse's mechanical roller ball. The new mouse is said to marry hardware and software to provide a unique, intuitive new feel in scroll navigation.
post #2 of 86
I doubt the mighty mouse will be missed too much! Changing the name seems like a good idea.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #3 of 86
I am using two mice, and I wish I had a solution
a mouse that functions on multiple computers would be interesting
post #4 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
post #5 of 86
Or there is a mac-only donation-ware:

http://abyssoft.com/software/teleport/
post #6 of 86
HAHA- That's a classic case of mis-nomenclature.
It was actually more like a MealyMouse.
I'm using my half operative one right now.
post #7 of 86
iMouse

- or -

MobileMouse
post #8 of 86
Does this mean I can now throw my Mighty Mouse in the dishwasher?
post #9 of 86
When is it's unveiling?
post #10 of 86
What are we going to do with this guy?
I don't think we want to piss him off...
post #11 of 86
I'm sure the Trademark Crappymouse® is available!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 86
Well now that Jobs owns Disney- why doesn't he just call it MickeyMouse?

post #13 of 86
Is this the beginning of the big Holiday Season?

And you guys bitch about Microsoft not innovating.

Apple hasn't made a descent mouse in their entire history of hardware.

The Holiday shopping is going to be Great for the Sheep.

Let me guess...

Apple made a mouse that doesn't cost $1,000.
post #14 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

iMouse

- or -

MobileMouse

I think "Apple Mouse" might just be the name. They don't sell an "iKeyboard" now do they?

iMouse Touch would be cool :P
post #15 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

iMouse

- or -

MobileMouse

or how about "Mouse"?
post #16 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

post #17 of 86
post #18 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well now that Jobs owns Disney- why doesn't he just call it MickeyMouse?

rather MackeyMouse

...but seriously, it doesn't matter what name do they choose. And what if the new mouse won't be funcionally a mouse anymore.
Or I can also imagine a plain mouse with touch pad on the top. You hold it with your thumb and the little finger and move it as you did with the mouse, and the other three fingers can do the gestures on the touch sensitive top.
Maybe it could cause pain, so they can find other ways to fix it to your palm for the moving instead of holding it with those two fingers.
post #19 of 86
"We look forward to the continuation and expansion of the Mighty Mouse line of waterproof mice.” "

Oh sure. I'm sure IF Apple wants, they will throw them a certain amount of $$$$, and there go those plans.

If Apple wants the name, they will pay for it.......NEXT

Sorry about the typo.
$$$$$....The Mighty Mouse Name is NOT CHANGING $$$$$
post #20 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

it could be a nice and stylish iPod Dock but they invented it too early, and couldn't finish the connection part, then someone labeled it wrongly as a mouse.
post #21 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluet.../dp/B000UY3NR8
post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

That's really all you have. The hockey puck got ripped by everyone including die hard Apple Fan Boys.

Maybe Apple can outsource the mouse to Microsoft. We've had a two button optical (meaning no dumb ball for the sheep) mouse for as long as we've had MMS.

Happy Holidays with the notebook parts in the next line of iWannaBeAMac Line up.

We have i7 in both all in one desktops and notebooks. Hell Dell even put out a thinner notebook than Apple's Air.

On the Phone Holiday Hot List. Google has every manufacturer putting out Android phones with Full Flash.

As a developer...

Would you want to develop for 1 Phone or 80 phones? Where do you get the most advantage?
Apple has 85K of crap software & games for the iPhone with no refund policy.

Google has a 24 hour refund policy which means less crap apps and more innovation from big developers that don’t have to switch platforms to become a developer.

And if Google doesn’t approve the App (which is unlikely) you can still put it out on the Internet and sell it on your own (as all the Jail Broke iPhone Apps have been doing from the start).

It's the 90's all over again. Apple will lose Market Share and say they have a better “User Experience”.
In 5 years with no Apps that will give you the Mac that you have today in your phone and media player.

Flashforward...

I'm an iPhone & I'm an Android. Pretty much says it all.
post #23 of 86
Quote:

Would you want to develop for 1 Phone or 80 phones? Where do you get the most advantage?

80 phones with different screen size, different type of input, different kind of hardware. Yeah, it's like selling the same tire for 80 different models of car. Very clever idea!
post #24 of 86
My bet:

iMouse Extreme: Revenge of the Puck

Or iMERotP for short.
post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

80 phones with different screen size, different type of input, different kind of hardware. Yeah, it's like selling the same tire for 80 different models of car. Very clever idea!

Unlike Apple...

Google has already put out their new OS "Donut" which takes care of screen res & size issues. It also takes care of resolution. Donut also has both CDMA & GSM to choose from.

Based on the phone Google is partnering with they will allow the manufacturer (not Google) to take advantage of as much as Google Android has to offer & market it as they like (sound like Microsoft?). No hardware just software.

And the best part is the pastry bar has just opened. Eclair is already in the oven and waiting for vendors to sell it.
post #26 of 86
It's probably going to be all aluminum and be called: Apple Pro Mouse

Did they rename the aluminum keyboards? No, they're still Apple Pro Keyboards right?
post #27 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

It's probably going to be all aluminum and be called: Apple Pro Mouse

Did they rename the aluminum keyboards? No, they're still Apple Pro Keyboards right?

YOu must be joking- right? It's too late at night to read something like this. An Apple Pro Mouse?
That's hysterical.
post #28 of 86
Steve sez it will be henceforth known as......... "TouchyMouse".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 86
Quote:

YOu must be joking- right? It's too late at night to read something like this. An Apple Pro Mouse?
That's hysterical.

That's why it's going to cost $1,000. It's made with notebook parts.
post #30 of 86
Name the next one "TrackPoint".
post #31 of 86
Quote:

That's hysterical.

They already did the "Apple Pro Mouse"

post #32 of 86
Quote:

Is this the beginning of the big Holiday Season?

And you guys bitch about Microsoft not innovating.

The Holiday shopping is going to be Great for the Sheep.

Let me guess...

Apple made a mouse that doesn't cost $1,000.

What a sour person you are - how's that ulcer doing? And what's a descent mouse? A little pet to lead us down to the depths where you reside?

I like the Mighty Mouse - it's a bit of an annoyance to have to clean it every once in a while, but it fits my hand perfectly, so I don't have to twist my wrist and tense up my arm. Good ergonomics for me.
post #33 of 86
Quote:

HAHA- That's a classic case of mis-nomenclature.
It was actually more like a MealyMouse.
I'm using my half operative one right now.

but you're still using it!

i love the mighty mouse when it works, but it's never for long....
post #34 of 86
They should stick with Apple Mouse, that's what I usually call it.
post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

What a sour person you are - how's that ulcer doing? And what's a descent mouse? A little pet to lead us down to the depths where you reside?

I like the Mighty Mouse - it's a bit of an annoyance to have to clean it every once in a while, but it fits my hand perfectly, so I don't have to twist my wrist and tense up my arm. Good ergonomics for me.

Just trying to open some eyes to "Think Different".

After all, it's not 1984 is it?

No ulcer on my part. Just had the yearly physical. Unlike the typical Apple user, I don't lay awake in bed and think of things to piss MS people off (or whoever it is today that an Apple user is supposed to hate).

That is why my screen name is "NonVendorFan". I love all Technology. Apple just seems to be lagging these days and chasing the Apple Puck (pun intended).
post #36 of 86
it will be the MeekMouse, a true giant killer

post #37 of 86
Multimouse
post #38 of 86
Quote:

Just trying to open some eyes to "Think Different".

After all, it's not 1984 is it?

No ulcer on my part. Just had the yearly physical. Unlike the typical Apple user, I don't lay awake in bed and think of things to piss MS people off (or whoever it is today that an Apple user is supposed to hate).

That is why my screen name is "NonVendorFan". I love all Technology. Apple just seems to be lagging these days and chasing the Apple Puck (pun intended).

You spend your time on an Apple enthusiast's site bitterly denouncing Apple and Apple users.

But you imagine the typical Apple user lies awake at night thinking of things to piss people off.

Dude, you're seriously fucked up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #39 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You spend your time on an Apple enthusiast's site bitterly denouncing Apple and Apple users.

But you imagine the typical Apple user lies awake at night thinking of things to piss people off.

Dude, you're seriously fucked up.

What's f'd up is you believe the shit without even questioning it on this board.

Welcome to 1984.

I'm in 2009 where I choose what I put on my PHONE, MEDIA PLAYER AND COMPUTER.

Edit.
Most of the readers in this forum don't even remember 1984. I do, I was a Mac user back then. Now look at the video and really "Think" about it. Is that Microsoft or Apple's closed loop in the commercial?

Link to original 1984 commercial. the Hate seems to be more with the Apple folks these days but take a look.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2862672743260#

Apple was supposed to be different. Long time ago though. Now it's just about the money to the bottom line.
post #40 of 86
Quote:

What's f'd up is you believe the shit without even questioning it on this board.

Welcome to 1984.

I'm in 2009 where I choose what I put on my PHONE, MEDIA PLAYER AND COMPUTER.

Edit.
Most of the readers in this forum don't even remember 1984. I do, I was a Mac user back then. Now look at the video and really "Think" about it. Is that Microsoft or Apple's closed loop in the commercial?

Link to original 1984 commercial. the Hate seems to be more with the Apple folks these days but take a look.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2862672743260#

Apple was supposed to be different. Long time ago though. Now it's just about the money to the bottom line.

Why are you here if you hate Apple so much? You sound a bit like those muslim extremists who hate everything Western but eagerly use our cars, mobile phones and social services.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next mouse may not carry 'Mighty' moniker