or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes

post #1 of 158
Thread Starter 
Apple on Thursday released an update to the iPhone OS, bringing it to version 3.1.2. The minor update reportedly fixes a handful of issues with the software.

According to Apple, the update -- which applies to the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS -- has the following improvements:

Resolves sporadic issue that may cause iPhone to not wake from sleep

Resolves intermittent issue that may interrupt cellular network services until restart

Fixes bug that could cause occasional crash during video streaming
The update, which weighs in at over 200MB, can be downloaded through iTunes. A corresponding update for the iPod touch was also released.

A month ago, Apple released iPhone OS 3.1, which debuted a number of new features, including a Genius recommendation system for software in the App Store. It also added ringtones from record labels, directly into the iTunes application on the phone.
post #2 of 158
But will it run Crysis?

I am thinking of jailbreaking my iTouch, so gonna have to pass up on this one untill dev team comes out with its own version. Don't really have any of the described issues anyways, so not much of a deal for me.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #3 of 158
None of those issues have affected me but I love to update so...I did.
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
post #4 of 158
Could be just a quick response to the whole Palm Pre "Cat n' Mouse game"...
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
post #5 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseley View Post

None of those issues have affected me but I love to update so...I did.

I've certainly had the first two, but maybe not the third
- anyway, nice to get the fixes!
post #6 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

Could be just a quick response to the whole Palm Pre "Cat n' Mouse game"...

If this is another atempt to cripple the Pre than I'm calling for a class action lawsuit!
post #7 of 158
Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .
post #8 of 158
Here's hoping it fixes the "dead iPhone" thing
post #9 of 158
I hope this addresses a strange problem I've been having where the album art (not coverflow) randomly assigns album art to various videos, tv shows and podcasts.
post #10 of 158
My 3G has been fine but the wife's 3Gs has needed to be rebooted several times after freezing recently. Hope this fixes that.

p.s. I digress but .. thought I'd share ... Since installing 'ClicktoFlash' those NetFlix ads that appear whenever a post is made on this site have stopped ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #11 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

(and also blocks the pre just for the fun of it).

Wouldn't they have to update iTunes in order to block the Pre again?
post #12 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

Why don't you just get a Pre and leave the rest of us alone? I am sure it is just perfect for whatever it is you do. Or don't do judging from the absurd number of boorish comments you post endlessly on this site.
post #13 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wouldn't they have to update iTunes in order to block the Pre again?

er ... um ... yes?
post #14 of 158
I just installed this update on my 3GS and after the update, iTunes notified me that new carrier settings were available as well. When MMS came out about a week ago, my carrier settings were updated to AT&T v5.5, but today it is now at AT&T v5.6. Anyone know what the difference is?

I understand AT&T has/is rolling out HSPA+ 7.2Mbps in certain areas of the country now. Is the new carrier file supposed to activate HSPA+ when available? Anyone?
post #15 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If this is another atempt to cripple the Pre than I'm calling for a class action lawsuit!

How about a "No Class" action lawsuit, as in Palm, No Class!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #16 of 158
Huh, I hadn't realized that my issues were general -- my phone is getting old and beatup (I already knocked off the silent/vibrate button about 4 months ago -- now the phone is on permavibrate... kindof a plus if you ask me), but I thought it just meant that my phone was dying a slow and agonizing death. I'm glad to see that it was the software, and am excited to see an update!
post #17 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wouldn't they have to update iTunes in order to block the Pre again?

Minor detail.
post #18 of 158
Ah, crap! I was going to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS to 3.1 tonight! More than likely, I wont' be able to until the tools are updated again.

Man, Apple is being agressive.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #19 of 158
My Nike + watch remote hasn't worked right since 3.1.

Hopefully a secret fix for that's included.
post #20 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Why don't you just get a Pre and leave the rest of us alone? I am sure it is just perfect for whatever it is you do. Or don't do judging from the absurd number of boorish comments you post endlessly on this site.

I can't- my music's too important to me to take that chance. I'm trapped in Steve Jobs' tentacles and can't get out!
post #21 of 158
Funny thing...I usually don't have problems with my iPhone 3g but I have all three of these problems since I loaded 3.1. I am downloading the fix right now and hopefully it takes care of the quirks.
post #22 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I just installed this update on my 3GS and after the update, iTunes notified me that new carrier settings were available as well. When MMS came out about a week ago, my carrier settings were updated to AT&T v5.5, but today it is now at AT&T v5.6. Anyone know what the difference is?

I understand AT&T has/is rolling out HSPA+ 7.2Mbps in certain areas of the country now. Is the new carrier file supposed to activate HSPA+ when available? Anyone?


That's a good question, but I haven't noticed a speed increase at all.

These are my usual download speeds:


post #23 of 158
Good. I have been noticing the not waking from sleep, and having to reset my phone to get connection quite frequently this past week. I was about ready to take my phone into the Apple Store. Hopefully this will resolve my issues.
post #24 of 158
resolves sporadic issue that may cause iPhone to not wake from sleep

That one is probably the issue, i has since my phone was ok and then couple of weeks back, it started to not turn on or would turn and then work fine for sometime and then go dead, thats what I thought anyway.

Took it to Vodafone service center in Mumbai and initially, the tech said it was my charging lead, so I bought a new one. Then it happened 2 days later and I took it in again. He tried to tell me, it was the same issue, so I went to the manager and he put my phone in for service. Anyway 5 days later, Apple via Vodafone send me a new phone.
post #25 of 158
Anyone know if they fixed that missing-carrier glitch?
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #26 of 158
Where's the WiFi fix?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #27 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

Don't expect that until 4.0. In the meantime get a Pre. I'll stick with one app at a time, but much richer apps.

Personally I've only ever wanted one type of multi-tasking: The ability to play a radio app in the background. That's all.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #28 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

No, that's for Window Mobile, Android, Pre and other smart phones that you always have to restart, random errors, crashing OS's. Wait... That's what this update is for.

Go Figure. I thought Apple Products Just Worked?

Hoping it Fixes 3G WiFi problems. WiFi has sucked since 3.0 and I continually have to re-enter my WiFi Password and then it drops from WiFi again. Apple told me to reset my Network settings & it didn't help at all.

I wonder how people with limited bandwidth carrier contracts feel about downloading a 200mb file every month for another version of the iPhone software that just breaks more things than it fixes.
post #29 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

But will it run Crysis?

I am thinking of jailbreaking my iTouch, so gonna have to pass up on this one untill dev team comes out with its own version. Don't really have any of the described issues anyways, so not much of a deal for me.

I'd recommend a jailbreak, if even just for SBSettings. I'm not much a theme guy though, I like the Apple theme.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 158
A nice update would be, when listening to music or watching video and I touch the screen to bring up the volume and drag-to-seek thing on top... then touch the screen again to make it go away - it does not always go away. The tools stay there and the only way I can get them off is to either keep rotating the phone until it leaves or hit the Home button to escape.

Does anyone else have this problem? \
post #31 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Hoping it Fixes from 3G WiFi problems. WiFi has sucked since 3.0 and I continually have to re-enter my WiFi Password and then it drops from WiFi again. Apple told me to reset my Network settings & it didn't help at all.

At least you have WiFi, AT ALLL. On my 3G I have zero Wifi, and no data contract

I've been stuck on my old spare 2G for the last few weeks. It could be worse though, I could have no iPhone. Still, they need to address the WiFi issues. They have been widespread for nearly two month now. Even my 2G drops WiFi now and then
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 158
A couple days after updating to 3.1.1, I noticed that the iPhone wasn't getting a signal anywhere. Shut off and restarted and that problem was solved, assumed that for some weird reason the 3.1.1 update required two restarts to work right. Missed few calls since then even when the phone was on, that may have been the wake up problem. Hope this fix works.

All of these software problems that pop up remind me how massively complex the hardware and software in devices like the iPhone must be. There is a tension between the need to thoroughly test the large increases in software functionality that Apple regularly adds to the iPhone and the desire to get the new functionality out frequently. The iPhone OS project must be a pressure cooker for everyone involved. Results, despite flaws, have been beyond my expectations.
post #33 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

No, that's for Window Mobile, Android, Pre and other smart phones that you always have to restart, random errors, crashing OS's. Wait... That's what this update is for.

Go Figure. I thought Apple Products Just Worked?

Hoping it Fixes 3G WiFi problems. WiFi has sucked since 3.0 and I continually have to re-enter my WiFi Password and then it drops from WiFi again. Apple told me to reset my Network settings & it didn't help at all.

I wonder how people with limited bandwidth carrier contracts feel about downloading a 200mb file every month for another version of the iPhone software that just breaks more things than it fixes.

I thought it was just my router's fault. I am constantly on and offing it 3-4 times a week now.
post #34 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't expect that until 4.0. In the meantime get a Pre. I'll stick with one app at a time, but much richer apps.

Personally I've only ever wanted one type of multi-tasking: The ability to play a radio app in the background. That's all.

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).
post #35 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I hope this addresses a strange problem I've been having where the album art (not coverflow) randomly assigns album art to various videos, tv shows and podcasts.

My old iPod touch used to do similar, would put cover art on the wrong songs. When I re-synced everything (wipe clean then reload) it fixed the problem. Maybe you can try that. I think it happened when I would interrupt the sync process by stopping the sync, think that screwed up the album art.
post #36 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Where's the WiFi fix?

And I'm crazy? Simmer down now!
post #37 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).

Hello? That's what I feel- exactly!
You should be able to back swipe and go right back to previous app.
post #38 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I thought it was just my router's fault. I am constantly on and offing it 3-4 times a week now.

I think it still may be. My friend's linksys wifi router hates my iPhone, while at home it works great. Might be a WPA issue on either end.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #39 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).

That's a good point. I don't get many text though, so it doesn't affect me like you. It is very important they add this though. Like a "quick reply" option for texts.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #40 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I think it still may be.

It is not the router. It is not the router. It is not the router. It is not the router.

It's not the router that hates the iPhone, it's the iPhone that hates the router, even Apple ones. It's a bug in the bloomin' OS!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes