or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes - Page 2

post #41 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I think it still may be. My friend's linksys wifi router hates my iPhone, while at home it works great. Might be a WPA issue on either end.

I have an Apple Airport express.
I thought everyting is supposed to just work in it's own ecosystem.
post #42 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And I'm crazy? Simmer down now!

It's entirely different.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #43 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have an Apple Airport express.
I thought everyting is supposed to just work in it's own ecosystem.

Oh no he's off again.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #44 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't expect that until 4.0. In the meantime get a Pre. I'll stick with one app at a time, but much richer apps.

Personally I've only ever wanted one type of multi-tasking: The ability to play a radio app in the background. That's all.




I just want to be able to send texts from inside of open apps
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
post #45 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I just want to be able to send texts from inside of open apps

Yeah, "quick reply". Check my comment bottom of page one. Agree.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #46 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

My old iPod touch used to do similar, would put cover art on the wrong songs. When I re-synced everything (wipe clean then reload) it fixed the problem. Maybe you can try that. I think it happened when I would interrupt the sync process by stopping the sync, think that screwed up the album art.

Yes, that was going to be my next step, a full restore. The funny thing is that the "random cover art" I was referring to is actually random Genius Mix cover art. The ones with the four square album art covers. Like this...

post #47 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh no he's off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have an Apple Airport express.
I thought everyting is supposed to just work in it's own ecosystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It is not the router. It is not the router. It is not the router. It is not the router.

It's not the router that hates the iPhone, it's the iPhone that hates the router, even Apple ones. It's a bug in the bloomin' OS!


I have both the Airport router and Airport Express, and my phone talks to them just fine.
Thats just me of course
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Reply
post #48 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I have both the Airport router and Airport Express, and my phone talks to them just fine.
Thats just me of course

I know everyone isn't effected, but many are. Just check Twitter, it's being a huge issue for weeks. It's sort of like when you update your Mac OS and get no issues, you wrongly can assume there are no bugs just because you haven't been effected.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #49 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I think it still may be. My friend's linksys wifi router hates my iPhone, while at home it works great. Might be a WPA issue on either end.

It's not a router problem, you sound like a fricking Apple tech support person I was talking to.

I have wifi addresses in for 4 separate locations. All friends houses (work won't allow iPhone on the network).

I have the problem at every house and all of us have different routers. I'm the only one with an N Router. D-Link Dir655 with the latest firmware update.

It's a iPhone OS problem. Just do a search for "wifi problems with iphone 3.0".
It's not an isolated issue and not router related.

Edit. WiFi was fine before 3.0 at all locations.
post #50 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know everyone isn't effected, but many are. Just check Twitter, it's being a huge issue for weeks. It's sort of like when you update your Mac OS and get no issues, you wrongly can assume there are no bugs just because you haven't been effected.

I doubt the OS would only affect some and not others. It's an OS problem no doubt.
Apple should be more concerned with fixing that than crippling the Pre.
post #51 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

Since you demand it not be next June, it will be the June after that. So there.
post #52 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I hope this addresses a strange problem I've been having where the album art (not coverflow) randomly assigns album art to various videos, tv shows and podcasts.

Odd. That should have already been fixed with the last (previous) update.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #53 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I doubt the OS would only affect some and not others. It's an OS problem no doubt.
Apple should be more concerned with fixing that than crippling the Pre.

Interesting, 3 iPhones here (1 3GS, 2 3G) all running 3.1. No problems here with WiFi. Not complaining that's for sure!
post #54 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamonosya View Post

Interesting, 3 iPhones here (1 3GS, 2 3G) all running 3.1. No problems here with WiFi. Not complaining that's for sure!

Perhaps you turn your router off every time you leave your room?
NO complaining here either actually- it gives me some excercise to get my butt off the couch.
post #55 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I am thinking of jailbreaking my iTouch,

Of course you are.
Because you call it an iTouch.
post #56 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamonosya View Post

Interesting, 3 iPhones here (1 3GS, 2 3G) all running 3.1. No problems here with WiFi. Not complaining that's for sure!

Lucky you.

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=iPhone+3.1+wifi
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #57 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Of course you are.
Because you call it an iTouch.

Who cares what he calls it. We know what he means.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #58 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamonosya View Post

Interesting, 3 iPhones here (1 3GS, 2 3G) all running 3.1. No problems here with WiFi. Not complaining that's for sure!

when my wife got a 3G i put it on our work wifi

tried with my 3GS and it didn't work. the password is very long and it wouldn't take it. we have enterprise Cisco wifi at work. both iphones work fine at home on an old linksys router
post #59 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't expect that until 4.0. In the meantime get a Pre. I'll stick with one app at a time, but much richer apps.

Personally I've only ever wanted one type of multi-tasking: The ability to play a radio app in the background. That's all.

That is what I think, too, with the 3GS also getting multi-tasking capabilites, not the original or 3G as they just don't have the HW for iPhone OS X to run background apps well. I expect some sort of Setting to turn on a bcjground app or two so that when you press the Home button it insteads minimizes. Maybe to a small icon in the Menu bar.

The argument for background apps usually is limited Internet radio sincr listening to audio is one of the few widely useful things you do whilst in another app.

What I'm most interested in seeing in v4.0 is a much better messaging window, closer to what Android and WebOS have. I would like a list of all previous messages listed so I can read them in full without having to enter the app and zo I can pick ad goose which to read. After that, I want to have my phone auto-send certain numbers to VM; for instance, numbers that aren't in my address book, but that may be a carrier feature.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who cares what he calls it. We know what he means.

Yes, I know which is why I posted what I did.
post #61 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Perhaps you turn your router off every time you leave your room?
NO complaining here either actually- it gives me some excercise to get my butt off the couch.

Nope, Time Capsule Extreme and an Airport Extreme (both with current firmware) always on here and are very reliable for me. I do IT for a living and use WiFi in multiple locations every day with a variety of brand name hardware. Solid! ATT 3G coverage in my area is another story! Has improved over the last year but has a way to go by comparison to my former provider Sprint.
post #62 of 158
Latest speed test looked great.

post #63 of 158
No mention of a fix for the rapid battery drain since 3.1
post #64 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Latest speed test looked great.


With WiFi on. How about without?
post #65 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I wonder how people with limited bandwidth carrier contracts feel about downloading a 200mb file every month for another version of the iPhone software that just breaks more things than it fixes.

Glass is always half empty, eh?

you can always go back to "traditional" smartphones that require you to buy a new phone to get the newest OS. We won't miss you. Really...
post #66 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).

Just jailbreak and get BiteSMS or QuickReply or something like that. You can send or reply from any app.
post #67 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

With WiFi on. How about without?

Post #22.
post #68 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

It's not a router problem, you sound like a fricking Apple tech support person I was talking to.

I have wifi addresses in for 4 separate locations. All friends houses (work won't allow iPhone on the network).

I have the problem at every house and all of us have different routers. I'm the only one with an N Router. D-Link Dir655 with the latest firmware update.

It's a iPhone OS problem. Just do a search for "wifi problems with iphone 3.0".
It's not an isolated issue and not router related.

Edit. WiFi was fine before 3.0 at all locations.

I agree with you, it is NOT the router. I have had an open ticket with Apple regarding this issue since June. All Apple say's is "it could be a environmental issue". After stating that the issue happens in ANY wifi network I've attempted to use, their tone changes (Happens in AT&T Hotspots, Starbucks, Using a Linksys Router, Using a Time Capsule, Using Apple's own WiFi in store). I have taken my phone in for "testing" a total of 3 times, received 2 exchanged devices, and have been offered a Brand New/not refurbished device with 4 years warranty and 90 days phone support. I'm supposed to take in my phone yet again Monday for "more testing". I haven't accepted the new phone/4yr warranty offer yet, I just want my WiFi to work already.
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
post #69 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Glass is always half empty, eh?

you can always go back to "traditional" smartphones that require you to buy a new phone to get the newest OS. We won't miss you. Really...

I guess it's been a while since you looked at Smart Phones and what they are capable of.

Android and Palm Pre push their updates out FOR FREE OVER THE AIR!

You don't have to hook up to a computer and download a 2-300mb file every time Apple puts out an update.

Get out of your little Apple box and do some research before jumping my ass.
post #70 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Latest speed test looked great.


I think if I had that kind of reading, I'd pee my pants lol. The fastest available in my area is 1.5Mbps DSL Service.
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
post #71 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjay View Post

I agree with you, it is NOT the router. I have had an open ticket with Apple regarding this issue since June. All Apple say's is "it could be a environmental issue". After stating that the issue happens in ANY wifi network I've attempted to use, their tone changes (Happens in AT&T Hotspots, Starbucks, Using a Linksys Router, Using a Time Capsule, Using Apple's own WiFi in store). I have taken my phone in for "testing" a total of 3 times, received 2 exchanged devices, and have been offered a Brand New/not refurbished device with 4 years warranty and 90 days phone support. I'm supposed to take in my phone yet again Monday for "more testing". I haven't accepted the new phone/4yr warranty offer yet, I just want my WiFi to work already.

Does it work at all? or just sometimes?
What does "it could be a environmental issue" mean? Like you live in a rainforest? Wait Ariizona is more like a sauna- so how would that affect anything?
post #72 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

At least you have WiFi, AT ALLL. On my 3G I have zero Wifi, and no data contract

I've been stuck on my old spare 2G for the last few weeks. It could be worse though, I could have no iPhone. Still, they need to address the WiFi issues. They have been widespread for nearly two month now. Even my 2G drops WiFi now and then

It's not the iPhone, it's your Router!!! Test it with another one and see if it does the same thing.
post #73 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Perhaps you turn your router off every time you leave your room?
NO complaining here either actually- it gives me some excercise to get my butt off the couch.

No complaining here either.
- Two iPhones in this house: 3G and a 3Gs - both on 3.1
- Two separate net connections
- Two wireless routers (different brands, neither Apple) = two wireless networks, one used to stream to an AppleTV.
- The last time either router was restarted was months ago

Both phones pick up and connect to each network no problem. The only prob I have with my wireless is when I'm outside, in front of the house and I have a weak signal. I've chalked that up to being over 300 ft away from the router, which is behind brick, wood, and insulation.

I really don't see how this is an iPhone OS issue.
post #74 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

It's not the iPhone, it's your Router!!! Test it with another one and see if it does the same thing.

It's the iPhone. I have nothing more to add. I'm sick of talking about it at this stage.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #75 of 158
I will not download any update until is fixes the ATT-only carrier bug.
post #76 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I guess it's been a while since you looked at Smart Phones and what they are capable of.

Android and Palm Pre push their updates out FOR FREE OVER THE AIR!

You don't have to hook up to a computer and download a 2-300mb file every time Apple puts out an update.

Get out of your little Apple box and do some research before jumping my ass.

It is annoying to have to connect to iTunes to get a point update, but with 50M devices out there and with a percentage of users going to have issues sending the entire OS as an update instead of small patches for bug fixes does decrease the likelyhood of even more update related issues. That is likely worth the cost to apple for havingbto send a 200MB file out.

But, as usual, you miss the point and are wrong. The HTC G1 Android was luckybto get the 1.6 update and will nit be getting the 2.0 update. With Palm already strapped for cash, seemingly pushing the Pre away with another price drop and their move to new WebOS devices, how long will the Pre be getting updates, muchless rich updates like the original iPhone has gotten which is already in the 3rd generation and in its 3rd year.

Granted, part of Apple's strategy of giving the original iPhone v3.x was more to keep their competitors off balance, as opposed to doing it solely for the user, since they can't possibly keep up with Apple's much simpler HW platform but some will have to try to sem competitive on the high end. Let's see how the Pre are doing for rich updates 28 months after its release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #77 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does it work at all? or just sometimes?
What does "it could be a environmental issue" mean? Like you live in a rainforest? Wait Ariizona is more like a sauna- so how would that affect anything?

Haha. Exactly. What is an environmental issue? It only works sometimes. I've noticed I can get wifi working if I put the phone into Airplane mode and leave it for a bit then switch it back on and quickly try to connect to the wifi network. Once its connected I try and keep the connection active otherwise It will drop and I will not be able to connect anymore.
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
post #78 of 158
Well here is my current 3G speeds in Arizona with FULL BAR's (I'm about 5 minutes walking distance to the nearest at&t "palm tree tower"). Is this average for at&t 3G?

"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
Reply
post #79 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It is annoying to have to connect to iTunes to get a point update, but with 50M devices out there and with a percentage of users going to have issues sending the entire OS as an update instead of small patches for bug fixes does decrease the likelyhood of even more update related issues. That is likely worth the cost to apple for havingbto send a 200MB file out.

But, as usual, you miss the point and are wrong. The HTC G1 Android was luckybto get the 1.6 update and will nit be getting the 2.0 update. With Palm already strapped for cash, seemingly pushing the Pre away with another price drop and their move to new WebOS devices, how long will the Pre be getting updates, muchless rich updates like the original iPhone has gotten which is already in the 3rd generation and in its 3rd year.

Granted, part of Apple's strategy of giving the original iPhone v3.x was more to keep their competitors off balance, as opposed to doing it solely for the user, since they can't possibly keep up with Apple's much simpler HW platform but some will have to try to sem competitive on the high end. Let's see how the Pre are doing for rich updates 28 months after its release.

Basically you pulled your normal too long reply and said that the updates are Free and over the air.

Thanks for explaining why they are. Who needs Mr. Fixit when you haunt this room.
post #80 of 158
In the firmware of your router!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Where's the WiFi fix?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes