or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Page 8

post #281 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Interesting. I disagree. In my case, I love my country more than I love Obama.

But I felt that Brazil was the better location all around, and that Chicago was not. Obviously the IOC did, too.

I was also upset that the Obamas thought they could fly in (on 2 separate planes at taxpayer expense) and persuade the IOC by their mere presence. It was extremely arrogant of them.

Interesting.

Was it equally arrogant of the presidents and prime ministers of Brazil, Japan, Spain, Great Britain, Australia and South Africa when they went to make their pitches? Was Nelson Mandela being arrogant when he attended the IOC conference to make his pitch?

Why don't you just admit you hate Obama and you don't care what he does?
post #282 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Interesting.

Was it equally arrogant of the presidents and prime ministers of Brazil, Japan, Spain, Great Britain, Australia and South Africa when they went to make their pitches? Was Nelson Mandela being arrogant when he attended the IOC conference to make his pitch?

Why don't you just admit you hate Obama and you don't care what he does?

I will not admit to something that is not true, despite your assertions to the contrary. I do not hate Obama, and I do very much care about what he does. I hate his policies. I hate his groveling before foreign dignitaries, his dislike of and apologizing for his country, and his blaming Bush for everything. I hate his using my children's children's children's money to bail out out banks and corporations that fail anyway. But I do not hate him as a person. I would have no problem shaking his hand and calling him "Mr. President" or "President Obama".

Obama thought he had this Olympics thing in the bag. So did some of his supporters (note the quantifier). And they were utterly shocked and dismayed when he failed. They could not believe that the IOC could possibly reject the plea of their dear leader.

For that reason, I was glad the decision came down the way it did. It proved that Obama is capable of failure, and that perhaps the blind faith so many put in him that he can do no wrong is not justified.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #283 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

his dislike of and apologizing for his country, and his blaming Bush for everything.

Barack Obama does not hate his country. He does not apologize for country. He does not blame Bush for everything.

These are all things you've been told wherever it is you get your information, but they are not true.

There's some truth in the last statement, in a way you didn't intend. You really fail to appreciate quite the extent of how destructive George Bush was the status of the United States, and its reputation for its regard for liberty, and justice, and all of that stuff. George Bush fucked it up very, very badly.

What you think is 'ass kissing' reads from overseas as essential and pretty damn skilful diplomacy. If you think he doesn't have some damage to repair after the last eight years, which have been shit for everyone, you're dreaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Obama thought he had this Olympics thing in the bag. So did some of his supporters (note the quantifier). And they were utterly shocked and dismayed when he failed. They could not believe that the IOC could possibly reject the plea of their dear leader.

This is some shit you read on a right wing blog. It's just not true.

Prove it.
post #284 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Why don't you just admit you hate Obama and you don't care what he does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

These are all things you've been told wherever it is you get your information, but they are not true.

What you think is 'ass kissing' reads from overseas as essential and pretty damn skilful diplomacy. If you think he doesn't have some damage to repair after the last eight years, which have been shit for everyone, you're dreaming.

This is some shit you read on a right wing blog. It's just not true.

Prove it.

I think perhaps you should prove your array of personal attacks and accusations before asking anyone anywhere to prove a single thing.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #285 of 355
Blah blah blah.

Stop telling me what I believe and ask me sometime. I'd be happy to share when you're ready to listen.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #286 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Mumbo, repetition doesn't make one right nor does an array of strawmen and shifting goalposts.

There isn't an iota of truth in that statement. I didn't object to anything YOU claimed. I wasn't a part of anything. I never said that these "things" didn't happen or that a few conservative didn't celebrate.

All this nonsense is about YOU trying to claim that plural and group are the same. We all know that they aren't. Everyone understands that being able say two and sixty million are not the same. YOU declared numbers don't matter and that quantitative labels aren't necessary.

you also claim there that cartoons represent absolute truth. Spin it any way YOU want later. The reasoning is so absurd that I am done with it. YOU turned around and tried to claim I was attempting to use cartoons as factual proof when the thread noted they were not at all for that but for humor.

YOU repeat YOURSELF each time adding more sorrys, embarassings, humiliations, etc. There isn't any reasoning there and since I have an intellect, I am above such bullying. I feel sorry for those around YOU in real life though because obviously name calling and bullying is how YOU attempt to influence and control people. Never the less anyone reading this will draw the right conclusions and all YOUr nonsense won't influence them a bit.

Enjoy the last word.



One last time here is the cartoon again. I'll be happy to entertain myself listening to YOU defend the reality of World War III breaking out (when it hasn't) instead of admitting it is intentionally distorting for comedic effect.

This post bought to you by the noun 'hypocrisy.' And the letter 'U'.
post #287 of 355
Obama to Accept Nobel Peace Prize as War President, Address Afghanistan Troop Surge

Obama-ites, please be honest. Do you find this just a teensy-weensy bit ironic?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #288 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Obama to Accept Nobel Peace Prize as War President, Address Afghanistan Troop Surge

Obama-ites, please be honest. Do you find this just a teensy-weensy bit ironic?

I think hypocritical is the word you're looking for.
post #289 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

I think hypocritical is the word you're looking for.

Indeed.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #290 of 355
This line from his speech sounded familiar:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...lo_norway.html
Quote:
"We must begin by acknowledging the hard truth that we will not eradicate violent conflict in our lifetimes," Obama said. "There will be times when nations, acting individually or in concert, will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified."

http://www.americanvalues.org/html/1...e-emption.html (from 2002)
There were many other speeches and such that were given at the time. All using, "just war" or "morally justified" and how it would be in concert with other nations. History repeats?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #291 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

This line from his speech sounded familiar:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...lo_norway.html


http://www.americanvalues.org/html/1...e-emption.html (from 2002)
There were many other speeches and such that were given at the time. All using, "just war" or "morally justified" and how it would be in concert with other nations. History repeats?

The art of leadership... consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention. Hitler
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #292 of 355
Arafat got the Nobel peace prize in 1994. For the sake of argument, the Nobel peace prize can be given to some no-name individual who has actually worked for peace and is probably in prison or dead. Nobody gives a f!@# about that. Giving it to Obama and getting some controversy and publicity / political mileage out of it is better? Next up, Israel...

They could also get rid of the Nobel Peace prize and stick to science. But with corporations (think pharma) blocking innovations until the time is right for maximum profit in the market and owning anything their scientists come up with, that will be a bit difficult as well. So they gift academics who really don't give too much about this price in the first place.

It is a no win situation any way you look at it. But at least the Nobel prize is an indication that some people actually care about encouraging achievements while the rest of the world can only hate.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #293 of 355
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091211/...nobel_analysis

Quote:
In a certain sign that he, for once, had not automatically offended the conservative Republican opposition at home, Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, said the president's message in Oslo "was actually very good."

The deeply conservative Gingrich said the liberal Obama acknowledged he was "given the prize prematurely" but wisely reminded the Nobel committee "they wouldn't be able to have a peace prize, without having force. ... I thought in some ways it's a very historic speech."

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the GOP vice presidential nominee last year, also praised Obama's words on the necessity of war.

"Wow, that really sounded familiar," she said in an interview with USA Today. "I talked, too, in my book about the fallen nature of man and why war is necessary at times."

Either Obama is mainly parroting what the Bush administration had said before and therefore is not causing heartburn for those evil conservatives that backed his unjust war, or they finally got a brain transplant... Which do you suppose it is?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #294 of 355
Obama's award was little more than pure tokenism. I for one hope that Obama doesn't go down as the president that over promised and under-delivered. Simply being better by default because you succeeded the worst president in US History is not a justification for a once prestigious award.

Obama has yet to prove himself as a great revolutionary figure in American politics and I'm losing more hope every day that he will.
post #295 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Obama's award was little more than pure tokenism. I for one hope that Obama doesn't go down as the president that over promised and under-delivered. Simply being better by default because you succeeded the worst president in US History is not a justification for a once prestigious award.

Obama has yet to prove himself as a great revolutionary figure in American politics and I'm losing more hope every day that he will.

He's yet to prove himself as someone competent. And really..I'd love to hear how he's been better than Bush. Can't wait, actually.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #296 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

He's yet to prove himself as someone competent. And really..I'd love to hear how he's been better than Bush. Can't wait, actually.

Um, he can speak English and has more than two brain cells to his name. That's a start.
post #297 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

...and has more than two brain cells to his name...

Well, let's not get carried away.

Funny thing, in our image-oriented, superficial society people confuse articulateness and eloquence with intelligence and, conversely, inarticulateness and ineloquence with stupidity.
post #298 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

Well, let's not get carried away.

Funny thing, in our image-oriented, superficial society people confuse articulateness and eloquence with intelligence and, conversely, inarticulateness and ineloquence with stupidity.

Are you serious? You're too funny!

It's one form of intelligence yes, a very important one! And for a politician or anyone involved in communicating ideas and messages, probably THE most important one.
post #299 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Are you serious? You're too funny!

It's one form of intelligence yes, a very important one! And for a politician or anyone involved in communicating ideas and messages, probably THE most important one.

I didn't claim it wasn't. But it certainly isn't the only one, and I've seen and know very articulate and eloquent people whose "intelligence" did not extend much beyond that (and vice versa).
post #300 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Are you serious? You're too funny!

It's one form of intelligence yes, a very important one! And for a politician or anyone involved in communicating ideas and messages, probably THE most important one.

Have you ever paid close attention to Obama when he speaks without a teleprompter?

I always end up wondering when he's going to complete his sentences.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #301 of 355
Apparently there's still life in this thread yet!

In this post this afternoon: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...91&postcount=6 trumptman raised the subject of mass nouns, 'quantifiers', referring to this page of this very thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=103687&page=6

(Just to re-cap, trumptman took exception to my stating the fact that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected. "They did no such thing!", he said. "Yes, they did!", I said, and linked to video, and audio, and transcript. "You don't understand quantifiers!" he responded.)

So, great! Apparently trumptman wants to re-open this whole debate again, and that's cool with me.

trumptman, do you still believe that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?
post #302 of 355
BTW, instead of making up quotes for me, I'd ask you to properly attribute the claims. Made up quotes are SOP for you as we all know as this thread already shows.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #303 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

BTW, instead of making up quotes for me, I'd ask you to properly attribute the claims. Made up quotes are SOP for you as we all know as this thread already shows.

Good lord, trumptman, are you serious?

Here is you saying that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected:

Quote:
You claim is patently false because your sample size is anecdotal and made up of crap you found on the internet.

It is one of many times. It was just the first one I came to. You said this again, and again, and again. This is where we begin to discuss this topic.

http:///forums.appleinsider.com/show...=103687&page=6

We do it over about FOUR PAGES, me and you.

And this where you say that I do not understand quantifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

but since you fail to understand quantifiers, this limitation is known.
.

(I think you do it in the words "but since you fail to understand quantifiers.")

So. Do you still believe that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

Clearly you still want to discuss it, or you wouldn't have brought up my inability to understand quantifiers, so come on.
post #304 of 355
"They did no such thing!"

Please link to where I said this.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #305 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

"They did no such thing!"

Please link to where I said this.

Trumptman. Are you now seriously trying to deny that you spent the last pages of this thread arguing with me about whether or not conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

YOU SPENT PAGES IN THIS THREAD ARGUING WITH ME.

But OK. Here are some links to individual posts where you argue against my statement "Conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected."

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=237

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http:///forums.appleinsider.com/show...&postcount=216

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=220

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://fforums.appleinsider.com/show...&postcount=226

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=228

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://fforums.appleinsider.com/show...&postcount=230

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://fforums.appleinsider.com/show...&postcount=232

In this post, you argue that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=235

Jesus, that's a lot of posts in which you argue with me about whether or not conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected!

So, do you STILL believe that conservatives did not celebrate when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected? Because you spend ALL THOSE POSTS ARGUING EXACTLY THAT.
post #306 of 355
Liberals celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #307 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Trumptman. Are you now seriously trying to deny that you spent the last pages of this thread arguing with me about whether or not conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

YOU SPENT PAGES IN THIS THREAD ARGUING WITH ME.

But OK. Here are some links to individual posts where you argue against my statement "Conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected."

Arguing against an aspect of your claim is not a negation of the claim.

You put the following words in quotation marks and attributed them to me, "They did no such thing!"

Please link to where I said this. As you linked to in one of the quotes....

Please provide proof I celebrated. Since you can't admit you are fabricating personal attacks.
Please provide proof I objected. Since you cannot, admit you are fabricating claims for personal attacks.
Finally please provide proof I said the words "They did no such thing."

All three are lies on your part.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #308 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Liberals celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

Americans celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #309 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Arguing against an aspect of your claim is not a negation of the claim.

You put the following words in quotation marks and attributed them to me, "They did no such thing!"

Please link to where I said this. As you linked to in one of the quotes....

Please provide proof I celebrated. Since you can't admit you are fabricating personal attacks.
Please provide proof I objected. Since you cannot, admit you are fabricating claims for personal attacks.
Finally please provide proof I said the words "They did no such thing."

All three are lies on your part.

Oh dear, Trumptman.

I can't believe I have to explain this to an adult. But I clearly do, so I will.

As indicated by the words 'To recap', I was PARAPHRASING THE GIST OF OUR GIGANTIC ARGUMENT, as is perfectly fucking clear to everyone. It is a pity that you do not understand such a basic, simple formula used in discussion for such a long time in all places that English is spoken, but there it is.

I have provided links to dozens of your posts IN THIS THREAD where you argue with me that conservatives celebrated. That is the main gist of our discussion. I believe that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected. You called my claim 'false' and went on to argue with me over many pages.

In this thread. THIS one. THIS FUCKING THREAD.

Also, I have already apologised for stating you celebrated, as you know perfectly well, TWICE in this thread. TWICE.

You would rather play foolish games than discuss the matter. That is clear.

But that's OK. We can resolve this now, right here.

Do you, or do you not, believe that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

Easy. Simple. You say I have problems understanding mass nouns? Cool. Just answer this question:

Do you, or do you not, believe that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected? .
post #310 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Liberals celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

Did they? That's interesting. Who?

Can you provide links that mirror the great outpouring of conservative celebration when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

I've provided links to America's biggest, most popular, representative conservative commentators on radio, and on television, and quotes from the biggest conservative blogs, transcripts, video and audio. Can you do the same?

It is a fact that conservatives celebrated, en masse.

It is not a fact that liberals celebrated, en masse.
post #311 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

It is a fact that conservatives celebrated, en masse.

It is truly bizarre and increadibly unpatriotic to celebrate the loss of a major sporting event that both cost a lot of money to bid for and would have been a source of much wealth for the country. I'm not American but surely the democrats would not act like that. Extremely juvenile behaviour!
post #312 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

It is truly bizarre and increadibly unpatriotic to celebrate the loss of a major sporting event that both cost a lot of money to bid for and would have been a source of much wealth for the country. I'm not American but surely the democrats would not act like that. Extremely juvenile behaviour!

And yet they did it!

Incredible. There was a bizarre outpouring of celebration from conservative Americans when Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected! Very juvenile, as you say.

Even more incredible is how posters here (look at the last pages of this thread!) tried to argue that it didn't happen!
post #313 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Oh dear, Trumptman.

I can't believe I have to explain this to an adult. But I clearly do, so I will.

No problem because acting uppity when you are misapplying grammar just makes the situation that much laughable. Instead of just snickering, people are outright laughing at you.

Quote:
As indicated by the words 'To recap', I was PARAPHRASING THE GIST OF OUR GIGANTIC ARGUMENT, as is perfectly fucking clear to everyone. It is a pity that you do not understand such a basic, simple formula used in discussion for such a long time in all places that English is spoken, but there it is.


Sure, now find for me the part where people take paraphrasing and put it in quotation marks.


Here let me help you with the exact line from that link.

It is incorrect to use quotation marks for paraphrased speech. This is because a paraphrase is not a direct quote, and in the course of any composition, it is important to document when one is using a quotation versus when one is using a paraphrased idea.

You don't understand grammar.

Quote:
I have provided links to dozens of your posts IN THIS THREAD where you argue with me that conservatives celebrated. That is the main gist of our discussion. I believe that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected. You called my claim 'false' and went on to argue with me over many pages.

Actually I've called your grammar and understanding related to it false. No one has ever denied the claim that some minuscule number of conservatives celebrated. As we've been having fun with in the last couple posts, when it comes to exceptions, there are always a few. Thus we can say liberals and Americans celebrated too. All we need is two by your strange and grammatically incorrect reasoning.

Quote:
In this thread. THIS one. THIS FUCKING THREAD.

Nothing like supporting ignorance by screaming profanities.

Quote:
Also, I have already apologised for stating you celebrated, as you know perfectly well, TWICE in this thread. TWICE.

You're going to need to keep apologizing because you keep doing things wrong. If you could stop accusing people of things, perhaps then you could have to stop retracting the claims and apologizing.

You attributing a quote to me that never happened. Your lack of understanding about grammar compounds the problem. You don't paraphrase and assign quotation marks to it.

Quote:
You would rather play foolish games than discuss the matter. That is clear.

Actually I'm not the one who keeps twisting words.

Quote:
But that's OK. We can resolve this now, right here.

Do you, or do you not, believe that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

Easy. Simple. You say I have problems understanding mass nouns? Cool. Just answer this question:

Do you, or do you not, believe that conservatives celebrated when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected? .

I already answered it here in the thread. Go find it and quote it instead of making up quotes. Learn the difference between quotes and paraphrasing and stop accusing people of nonsense when your own understanding is the problem here.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #314 of 355
Quite embarrasing really. Surely the Olympics is the one thing that could unite both sides of politics, if ever anything could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

And yet they did it!

Incredible. There was a bizarre outpouring of celebration from conservative Americans when Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected! Very juvenile, as you say.

Even more incredible is how posters here (look at the last pages of this thread!) tried to argue that it didn't happen!
post #315 of 355
Oh dear, trumptman.

It is a fact that there was an outpouring of celebration from conservative Americans when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

Prominent, opinion-forming commentators celebrated before audiences of several million. Conservative blogs were full of celebratory posts and comments. Conservative activist groups celebrated with high fives and cheers. I have provided links to all of this, in this thread.

It is also a fact that there was no analogue to this in the liberal community.

So your comparison is wrong, and somewhat foolish. This is a pity.

It is also a fact that you tried to deny that conservatives celebrated.

Quote:
You claim is patently false because your sample size is anecdotal and made up of crap you found on the internet.

That is all that matters. Your attempt to draw the argument to me, and my bad grammar, and my 'misquoting' you, is very poor, and absolutely transparent, and does you no honour. But, in your phrase, this is SOP for you. It is a pity.

Conservatives celebrated. That is still a fact. You tried to deny it. That is a fact too.
post #316 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Did they? That's interesting. Who?

Can you provide links that mirror the great outpouring of conservative celebration when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?

I've provided links to America's biggest, most popular, representative conservative commentators on radio, and on television, and quotes from the biggest conservative blogs, transcripts, video and audio. Can you do the same?

It is a fact that conservatives celebrated, en masse.

It is not a fact that liberals celebrated, en masse.

Your sources are TV/radio personalities, entertainers, and bloggers.

Are you actually claiming that these sources speak for anyone and everyone who so much leans conservative?

Are you actually claiming that people who watch, listen to, and read such sources all agree with them 110%?

My, what a narrow view of the world you have.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #317 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Oh dear, trumptman.

It is a fact that there was an outpouring of celebration from conservative Americans when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

Enjoy your view on this. Thanks to your own statements, we know that since you refuse to acknowledge or use quantifiers, this statement means two people celebrated.

Quote:
Prominent, opinion-forming commentators celebrated before audiences of several million. Conservative blogs were full of celebratory posts and comments. Conservative activist groups celebrated with high fives and cheers. I have provided links to all of this, in this thread.

Two, and two. Enjoy declaring life to be plurals and to never use quantifiers. No one cares that you think six total people celebrated. No one care that you found the exception because the exception never proves the rule. Point at it all you want. No one will even are to dispute it because no one cares. There is no point you are making besides "look at that."

Quote:
It is also a fact that there was no analogue to this in the liberal community.

So your comparison is wrong, and somewhat foolish. This is a pity.

It is also a fact that you tried to deny that conservatives celebrated.

Actually that quote shows, just like above with the quotaions marks, that you are attempt to accuse and prosecute someone for your own lack of grammatical understanding. It notes you are incorrectly ascribing quantifiers and using that in some word play. But sadly you screwed up because you hadn't played your little quantifier word game yet whereby you try to claim you were only referring to plural.

See if you link to the source here, you will see your claim quoted above it. (Note this is because I quote people instead of making up quotes for them.)

Quote:
That is the only claim I made, and it is a true claim, backed up with quotes and links and video and audio that prove that, yes, many conservatives did indeed celebrate Barack Obama's pitch being rejected.

Your claim is patently false because your sample size is anecdotal and made up of crap you found on the internet.

Oh, it looks like you got busted using a quantifier. You declared it to be many.

Many is defined as a very large number or as the collective. You did not prove a large number or collective. You proved, as I noted then, the exception, or the anecdotal. You tried to slip out of this by claiming you merely meant the plural and thus two.
Quote:
That is all that matters. Your attempt to draw the argument to me, and my bad grammar, and my 'misquoting' you, is very poor, and absolutely transparent, and does you no honour. But, in your phrase, this is SOP for you. It is a pity.

Conservatives celebrated. That is still a fact. You tried to deny it. That is a fact too.

Actually you've found my reply to your original claim which means we have that original claim and can see you've moved away from it.

So for the record we see that you have accused people of celebrating who did not.
You have accused people of objecting who did not.
You've made up false quotes for people and attempted to justify it by claiming it was quoted paraphrasing.
Now we have proof you used quantifiers and attempt to lie about this and instead claim merely that you were referring to the plural.

You're done and so is this thread. Many conservatives did not celebrate. A plural did but the exception never proves the rule about the collective (many is defined as collective.) Go grab an English book and brush up.

Enjoy the last word where you ignore this, just like you've ignored and not apologized for making up quotes and attributing them to people and instead try to circle round again. You've been discredited in four different ways. Any mention of this again in other threads will simply cause me to link back to this summative post.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #318 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Enjoy your view on this. Thanks to your own statements, we know that since you refuse to acknowledge or use quantifiers, this statement means two people celebrated.


snip: irrelevant ad hominem attacks on me and my grammar


nd again. You've been discredited in four different ways. Any mention of this again in other threads will simply cause me to link back to this summative post.

My, you do enjoy the use of the word enjoy.

It is a fact that when Barack Obamas pitch to the IOC was rejected, there was an outpouring of celebration from many conservative Americans. I have posted links on this thread to prove this.

Instead of denying or affirming this, you concentrate on my grammar and on the definitions of quantifiers. This is cowardly and dishonest. I expect nothing else.

It is a fact also that you have tried, over many pages of this thread, to deny that when Barack Obamas pitch to the IOC was rejected, there was an outpouring of celebration from many conservative Americans. Instead of denying or affirming this statement, you concentrate on my grammar and definitions.

You do this because you do not want to contemplate the revolting behaviour of your side.

Enjoy avoiding facts you dont like.
post #319 of 355
I would enjoy seeing this particular argument stop.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #320 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Your sources are TV/radio personalities, entertainers, and bloggers.

Are you actually claiming that these sources speak for anyone and everyone who so much leans conservative?

Are you actually claiming that people who watch, listen to, and read such sources all agree with them 110%?

No, I am not.

I am merely claiming that there was a very public outpouring of celebration from many prominent and activist conservatives when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected.

And this is true. This is a fact. I have even provided links.

Why do you ask? Do you disagree that there was a very public outpouring of celebration from many prominent and activist conservatives when Barack Obama's pitch to the IOC was rejected?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize