or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Page 2

post #41 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

...and Yasser Arafat...... ........wait, nevermind.

You know, my first thought (well after wondering whether I'd accidently stumbled onto The Onion* website...which is forever ruined for me now...fucking Nobel Prize Committee.)...was...wait a second...Barack Obama hasn't been responsible for enough violent, wartime deaths (yet) to qualify for this prize!

*Since Saturday Night Live has finally awaken and finds Obama funny, I suspect they can have a field day with this one if they want to. Cue SNL Obama receiving any number of awards...an Emmy...Oscar...Stanley Cup...The Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy...wait, that might be considered racist. But then making fun of Obama at all is racist, so go for it.
post #42 of 355
Let's see what the conservative dogs of war have to say about this....

First.. CBSNews.. that racist, hateful propaganda mill has this to say about it.....

Quote:
The sound you could hear this morning was of heads being scratched around the world.

Very quickly, the Nobel Committee found itself having not just to explain its choice of President Barack Obama for the Peace Prize, but to defend it.

(Left: Chairperson of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Thorbjorn Jagland, with pictures of Nobel Peace Prize laureate 2009 Barack Obama, at The Norwegian Nobel Institute in Oslo Friday, Oct. 9, 2009.)

There have been controversial selections before, but rarely one that caused this much puzzlement.

Next that rag that ferments assassination attempts almost daily....the Washington Post.

Quote:
This is ridiculous -- embarrassing, even. I admire President Obama. I like President Obama. I voted for President Obama. But the peace prize? This is supposed to be for doing, not being -- and it’s no disrespect to the president to suggest he hasn’t done much yet. Certainly not enough to justify the peace prize.

"Extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples?” “[C]aptured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future?” Please. This turns the award into something like pee-wee soccer: everybody wins for trying.

Washington Post again because they were only hateful the first time and not racist.......

Quote:
At first I thought the announcement of the prize was a joke. On further reflection, the Nobel Committee has made itself a joke. It has decided to give a ribbon before the race, a trophy for aspiration, a gold star for admirable sentiments. Which means that the decision it made is entirely, purely, solely political. Members of the committee like Obama's goals and rhetoric. And since they aren't American citizens, this is the only way they could vote for him. In the process, they have forfeited any claim to seriousness. Peace -- the kind of peace that keeps people from being killed and oppressed -- is an achievement, not a sentiment. The Nobel Peace Prize Committee can no longer distinguish between the two.

This strikes me as ironic because the criticism is one I have leveled here dozens of times. Liberals can no longer distinguish between intentions and reality.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #43 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

At first I was surprised. After all, Obama hasn't been responsible for any direct, distinct advancements of peace. However, upon thinking about it longer, it makes perfect sense.

The greatest human originated danger facing the world is that of wars between nation states and perhaps a nuclear strike by terrorists. We were rapidly descending into a an era of increased distrust, militarism, and brinkmanship. The US was greatly contributing to this trend under the leadership of the Bush administration. Bush refused to negotiate with enemies, labeled them as the "axis of evil", and launched multiple invasions/occupations of other nations.

In the US we were largely oblivious to the level of reasonable hatred this caused. Sure, we were aware that "terrorists" hated the US. But what most Americans don't realize is that even moderates were beginning to hate the US. As a superpower, this had absolutely horrific implications for the likelihood of large-scale war.

Obama has largely reversed this trend. While extremists and some moderates still hate the US, a significant percentage of the world populace no longer sees the US as pure evil. They once again have confidence that this superpower is acting in a reasonable manner. The chance of war has greatly decreased. The climate of hatred is subsiding.

Certainly, Obama hasn't caused this by direct and distinct actions of peace. And he hasn't accomplished this via a lifetime of peace movement leadership. But what he has done is foster a climate of diplomacy rather than military conflict. Opposing nations are talking again and the US/European relations have thawed. It's partially his name, partially his race, but perhaps mostly his willingness to talk to other world leaders on an equal footing. He has quite deftly convinced much of the world that the US is no longer the world's biggest bully with an attitude problem.

Personally, I think it would have been better to wait and see if the trend is meaningful. But so far... we're on the right track. I can once again envision a day when world religions will coexist in peace.

Fantastic post.

The UK, has seen the health care debacle unfold which has really wakened people up to how the right in America is on such a bad track. Indeed holds it down. Add to that the Palin pick for VP and the folks here now more clearly understand that the US does not have to be simply loathed as a whole but instead has a very backwards right wing but a more human and hospitable center/left.

Barack Obama has helped shape the differences and for that he's widely respected here and that goes for the rest of Europe too.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #44 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

I wonder which of these peaceful acts he won for:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5575883.ece

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...n-forces_N.htm

I guess if they are willing to give the Nobel Peace prize to Henry Kissinger anything is possible.

Shit, next thing you know they'll give Paul Krugman a Nobel prize for Economics and then the demise of the Nobel prize awards will be complete.

If the prize was awarded for violent wartime deaths, Bush would have been a shoe in. The irony in that post knows no bounds.

Seriously though, Obama has certainly improved the USA's standing on the world stage, but this award so soon in his Presidency is a bit iffy...
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #45 of 355
This just in from the Nobel Committee....

And from Foreign Policy magazine:

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #46 of 355
This move is seriously puzzling.

Nominations for the NPP closed February 1st - just two weeks into Obama's presidency.

At that point, he hadn't even made his moves on the Euro missile system or his plans for 'outreach' to the Muslim world.

So the Nobel is now being handed out for potential peacemaking, as opposed to actual peacemaking?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #47 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This move is seriously puzzling.

Nominations for the NPP closed February 1st - just two weeks into Obama's presidency.

At that point, he hadn't even made his moves on the Euro missile system or his plans for 'outreach' to the Muslim world.

So the Nobel is now being handed out for potential peacemaking, as opposed to actual warmongering?

tftfy
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #48 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

<snip>

If the prize was awarded for violent wartime deaths, Bush would have been a shoe in.
<snip>

Yeah nobody's even looked like they were thinking about throwing their shoes at Obama.

Wow. I am so out of the loop. Being severely hit by the GFC does really weird things to people just as dodging the bullet (for now in Australia) turns us into a bunch of racist obnoxious pigs.

Has anyone who's ever won a Nobel Peace Prize ever really succeeded in achieving any real lasting peace? Not so I've noticed.

Maybe it is an an encouragement award. So be it. I don't want him to lose heart. Because that the level of animosity has dropped in the 7 or so months he's been in office is palpable by anyone's standards I would have thought.

If all he does is continue to act in a conciliatory, thinking manner, and acknowledge that the rest of the planet does have a say in their own destinies, I'm happy.

Thanks for th update on adda screener. I forgot he'd moved to AN last time I was around but I haven't been there in a long while either. Might try dropping him a PM.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #49 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

Has anyone who's ever won a Nobel Peace Prize ever really succeeded in achieving any real lasting peace? Not so I've noticed.

Probably not, and some have actually actively worked against peace. But hey, what does that matter.
post #50 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Fantastic post.

The UK, has seen the health care debacle unfold which has really wakened people up to how the right in America is on such a bad track. Indeed holds it down. Add to that the Palin pick for VP and the folks here now more clearly understand that the US does not have to be simply loathed as a whole but instead has a very backwards right wing but a more human and hospitable center/left.

Barack Obama has helped shape the differences and for that he's widely respected here and that goes for the rest of Europe too.

What has the health care debate got to do with the Nobel Peace Prize?
Palin?
You seem to be making the point that the peace prize is a simple popularity contest?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #51 of 355
Yeah, I don't think the Peace Prize has turned out like Alfred Nobel imagined it would. Not just because of this, but earlier awards as noted previously in the topic.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #52 of 355
QFT:
Quote:

In the US we were largely oblivious to the level of reasonable hatred this caused. Sure, we were aware that "terrorists" hated the US. But what most Americans don't realize is that even moderates were beginning to hate the US. As a superpower, this had absolutely horrific implications for the likelihood of large-scale war.

Obama has largely reversed this trend. While extremists and some moderates still hate the US, a significant percentage of the world populace no longer sees the US as pure evil. They once again have confidence that this superpower is acting in a reasonable manner. The chance of war has greatly decreased. The climate of hatred is subsiding.

Certainly, Obama hasn't caused this by direct and distinct actions of peace. And he hasn't accomplished this via a lifetime of peace movement leadership. But what he has done is foster a climate of diplomacy rather than military conflict. Opposing nations are talking again and the US/European relations have thawed. It's partially his name, partially his race, but perhaps mostly his willingness to talk to other world leaders on an equal footing. He has quite deftly convinced much of the world that the US is no longer the world's biggest bully with an attitude problem.

I can just say that in my part of the world everyone is still relieved every day by the mere presence of Obama. He is the living proof that the worlds most powerfull democracy, on which so much depends in this world, was able to reshape itself after the Bush years. The common view is that America is once again on the right track after being sidetracked by self-centered, populistic, rightwing, militaristic cowboy politics with an uncanny background sound of religious extremism.
post #53 of 355
Quote:

Hmmm, i'm not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing. Nowhere did I mention anything about the morality of, or motivation for, our continued occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.

My post was about how the people and nations of the world perceive the US in a more positive manner now. And that the new climate of diplomacy and mutual respect has great implications for world peace.

Edit:

For example. Remember all the controversy because Obama was willing to talk to certain other world leaders? Or remember how him merely shaking the hand of a world leader was also quite controversial?

The US plays a massive role in world politics. We can quite easily set the framework for how much of the world interacts with each other. Obama has been responsible for a massive shift in world politics since taking office. Previously, we were labeling other nations as "evil", refusing to talk to them, and we were teetering on the brink of additional wars. This had far reaching effects. It was fostering a climate of hatred and conflict. Obama has thankfully backed us away from that type of interaction with the rest of the world.

But yeah, I'll agree that this is only a step in the right direction. I would have preferred to wait and see what type of results this change of direction produces. So far, Obama has only improved relations between nations. It is yet to be seen what kind of concrete effect this has on real measures like bodycounts.

Perhaps its just that as an American, we don't understand just how vehement world-wide hatred of America had grown, and how significantly Obama has changed that trend.

Clearly, the Nobel Prize committee is trying to make a statement with their announcement proving that there is no point to the Nobel anymore.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #54 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

What has the health care debate got to do with the Nobel Peace Prize?
Palin?
You seem to be making the point that the peace prize is a simple popularity contest?

It's about the transforming relationship Obama has with the rest of the world. He won't improve that by slaying 45,000 American citizens plus every year ( and that figure doesn't even include the under insured) and Palin was perceived as even more of an outrageous monster here than in the US.

post #55 of 355
Well what can I say? Obama wins again!

I knew that it might upset certain types around the planet but that's just too bad!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #56 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Which person has his fingers on a button that can make a big difference?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #57 of 355
Friend --

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama
post #58 of 355
[QUOTE=involuntary_serf;1496917

Don't be absurd.[/QUOTE]

I understand it's an unpalatable truth for you, but it's true. Your president is held in extraordinarily high esteem everywhere else in the world. This is a fact. You can't see the truth of this because you read Red State, or something similar, but it is true.
post #59 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

I understand it's an unpalatable truth for you, but it's true.

Yes, the truth of his unworthiness is unpalatable to me.

Quote:

Your president...

He ain't my president. Maybe yours...but certainly not mine.
post #60 of 355
Quote:

It's about the transforming relationship Obama has with the rest of the world.

Careful, you might get some on your face.
post #61 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Clearly, the Nobel Prize committee is trying to make a statement with their announcement proving that there is no point to the Nobel anymore.

The most optimistic analysis says they did this to box him in on Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan and North Korean. If it works, I'll applaud them for their brilliance!
post #62 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well what can I say? Obama wins again!

I knew that it might upset certain types around the planet but that's just too bad!

Neener Neener... \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #63 of 355
Quote:

It's about the transforming relationship Obama has with the rest of the world. He won't improve that by slaying 45,000 American citizens plus every year ( and that figure doesn't even include the under insured) and Palin was perceived as even more of an outrageous monster here than in the US.

Who is slaying 45,000 American Citizens?

And not having a set amount of insurance is slaying someone? Talk about shifting Baselines...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #64 of 355
Quote:

He ain't my president. Maybe yours...but certainly not mine.

You don't live in the US? Interesting.
post #65 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

QFT:

I can just say that in my part of the world everyone is still relieved every day by the mere presence of Obama. He is the living proof that the worlds most powerfull democracy, on which so much depends in this world, was able to reshape itself after the Bush years. The common view is that America is once again on the right track after being sidetracked by self-centered, populistic, rightwing, militaristic cowboy politics with an uncanny background sound of religious extremism.

Sorry...most of the americans in this thread are too busy proving our stereotype to notice wtf the rest of the world thinks of us and how much it has improved since Nov 2008.

Nicely written dfiler.

Steele is a fucking idiot. I think I may finally be done with the republican party but we'll see if the party is still dominated by morons after 2010.
post #66 of 355
Rmember when John McCain showed some class? Why can't the rest of you right wing folks EVER take the high road?

"I think all of us were surprised at the decision. But I think Americans are always pleased when their president is recognized by something on this order." -John McCain

Apparently John didn't get the memo from the rest of his party shouting how awful Obama is from their rooftops.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #67 of 355
I have good intentions about holding hands and singing kumbaya. Give me a fucking nobel peace prize. On second thought, I don't want that shit anymore.

Wonder if the nobel prize committee is hand-in-glove with the republicans to slander Obama.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #68 of 355
I see you didn't get John McCain's memo to show some class.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #69 of 355
Spoke to some internationals here in Japan this evening about this... They were generally positive and all commented that, compared to when Bush was president, they feel safer, and they have hope that the US will start leading the world down a path of less needless violence towards other countries. The key point for most was the new hope. One mentioned the fervor that overtook the world before the election, not just the US, to which one added, "Too many Americans only look inward and fail to understand the position of the US in the world". All of them (event eh one who felt Obama did not deserve the award) also blasted the Republicans for acting like a bunch of rotten kindergarten kids over everything Obama does and said that any good-feelings towards the US are always tempered by the lack of maturity of a noisy few and their apparent popularity.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #70 of 355
I want to know when there has ever been a voluntary serf. 'neo_serf' would have been better.

The American people elected a moderate centre-left President now enacting policies somewhat to the right of the European governments you call 'socialist'.

Obama hasn't turned the United States into a pre-Soviet central-European feudal system of peasants denied political representation and living under the 'protection' of aristocratic landowners, renting land with labour and produce. You are not labouring to make any Count or regional prince rich. You have the vote. You can live where you like.

So you are not a fucking 'serf'. You do not even know what 'serf' means.

You just don't like Barack Obama. The rest of the world, on the other hand, absolutely loves him. If you believe otherwise, you are mistaken; you get your information from wish-fulfillment sources.

Shimon Peres, for example, offering his congratulations:

Quote:
Very few leaders if at all were able to change the mood of the entire world in such a short while with such a profound impact. You provided the entire humanity with fresh hope, with intellectual determination, and a feeling that there is a lord in heaven and believers on earth.

People are looking to America for inspiration and leadership again for the first time in years, and you chose this time to announce that the president "isn't my president" and that the RNC have some dignity in agreeing with Hamas and the Taliban that Obama doesn't deserve congratulation.
post #71 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You don't live in the US? Interesting.

I do live in the U.S.
post #72 of 355
Quote:

I want to know when there has ever been a voluntary serf. 'neo_serf' would have been better.

The American people elected a moderate centre-left President now enacting policies somewhat to the right of the European governments you call 'socialist'.

Obama hasn't turned the United States into a pre-Soviet central-European feudal system of peasants denied political representation and living under the 'protection' of aristocratic landowners, renting land with labour and produce. You are not labouring to make any Count or regional prince rich. You have the vote. You can live where you like.

So you are not a fucking 'serf'. You do not even know what 'serf' means.

Why don't we stay on topic...which was Barack Obama's undeserved Nobel Prize...

Quote:

You just don't like Barack Obama.

I don't even know the man enough to like or dislike him. He may well be a likable person. I have no idea. I don't like the policies he's proposing and trying to enact. There's a difference.

Quote:

The rest of the world, on the other hand, absolutely loves him.

Good for them. I don't care.

Quote:

If you believe otherwise, you are mistaken; you get your information from wish-fulfillment sources.

I have not formed an opinion or belief about that question. I simply don't care. I don't borrow my opinions from others. I form them myself.

Quote:

Shimon Peres, for example, offering his congratulations:

Good for him.

Quote:

People are looking to America for inspiration and leadership again for the first time in years, and you chose this time to announce that the president "isn't my president" and that the RNC have some dignity in agreeing with Hamas and the Taliban* that Obama doesn't deserve congratulation.

For me, the "isn't my president" sentiment is not limited to Barack Obama. He just happens to be the one holding the office at this moment in time.

*I love how the left has now adopted the "if you're not with us, you're with the terrorists" mindset. My how the tables have turned around.
post #73 of 355
Quote:

I don't even know the man enough to like or dislike him. He may well be a likable person. I have no idea. I don't like the policies he's proposing and trying to enact. There's a difference.

Good for them. I don't care.

I have not formed an opinion or belief about that question. I simply don't care. I don't borrow my opinions from others. I form them myself.

Good for him.

For me, the "isn't my president" sentiment is not limited to Barack Obama. He just happens to be the one holding the office at this moment in time.

*I love how the left has now adopted the "if you're not with us, you're with the terrorists" mindset. My how the tables have turned around.

Things just no going the way they should? Poor baby!
post #74 of 355
Quote:

Yes. You're quite right. There is a difference.

I see that now.

Actually, I must be honest: I was not seriously suggesting that you might know Barack Obama personally. I did not, in all honestly, think that you might be on the kind of terms with Barack Obama where you could decide whether or not he was a "likeable person."

Of COURSE you don't like his policies: they are not ferocious free market fuck-the-hindmost laissez-faire cage-match economics. They are moderate and centrist. You are an extremist. You went away called sslarson and came back calling yourself a "serf" because the government intervened to preserve liquidity in the mortgage sector in an economic crisis.

Good fucking grief.

Quote:

You do not visit blogs, forums, watch the news or listen to the radio. You channel the zeitgiest in a miraculous fashion. I see. You are not even here.

Quote:

And presumably until they elect Ron Paul, no president will be 'yours'.

Leave America. Democracy isn't for you.

Buy an island, found your own state. You are always, always going to be in the minority.
post #75 of 355
Quote:

You went away called sslarson and came back calling yourself a "serf" because the government intervened to preserve liquidity in the mortgage sector in an economic crisis.

post #76 of 355
Quote:

Of COURSE you don't like his policies: they are not ferocious free market fuck-the-hindmost laissez-faire cage-match economics.

Cute straw man there.

Quote:

They are moderate and centrist.

Right.

Quote:

You do not visit blogs, forums, watch the news or listen to the radio. You channel the zeitgiest in a miraculous fashion. I see. You are not even here.

Do you want to talk about the thread topic or me?

Quote:

Leave America.

So the left is now adopting the "America: Love it or Leave it!" motto?

Quote:

Democracy isn't for you.

America isn't a democracy. Or it at least it wasn't started that way.

Quote:

You are always, always going to be in the minority.

I don't doubt that.

Now, if you've done with your catharsis, back to the topic thread...
post #77 of 355
If you don't agree with decisions made in Norway, simply move there, become a member of the Nobel organization and influence their decisions, no sweat.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #78 of 355
If you believe this:

Quote:

then you can't really say this...

Quote:

So the left is now adopting the "America: Love it or Leave it!" motto?

...when someone says this:

Quote:
Leave America. Democracy isn't for you.

Buy an island, found your own state. You are always, always going to be in the minority.

Because, you see, your founding documents and three centuries of tradition are pretty fucking firm that Americans elect presidents, and that's not going to change. If you don't like the system where people elect presidents, then America isn't for you, because most Americans would be prepared to go to war and die in order to have the right to elect their presidents. They're quite proud of the system and consider it superior to those of, say, Myanmar, or Somalia.

If you don't like the whole presidents thing, then maybe America isn't for you.
post #79 of 355
post #80 of 355
Quote:

Who did Obama beat to win his Nobel Prize?

I think the real question is why is this bothering you so much?

I mean Nobel prizes didn't seem to concern you very much before.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize