or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Page 3

post #81 of 355
A good article here by Paul Craig Roberts, one of a minority in the media who isn't scared of reality.

Upside Down World

Warmonger Wins Peace Prize

By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS

It took 25 years longer than George Orwell thought for the slogans of 1984 to become reality.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.

I would add, Lie is Truth.

The Nobel Committee has awarded the 2009 Peace Prize to President Obama, the person who started a new war in Pakistan, upped the war in Afghanistan, and continues to threaten Iran with attack unless Iran does what the US government demands and relinquishes its rights as a signatory to the non-proliferation treaty.

The Nobel committee chairman, Thorbjoern Jagland said, Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the worlds attention and given its people hope for a better future.

Obama, the committee gushed, has created a new climate in international politics.

Tell that to the 2 million displaced Pakistanis and the unknown numbers of dead ones that Obama has racked up in his few months in office. Tell that to the Afghans where civilian deaths continue to mount as Obamas war of necessity drones on indeterminably.

No Bush policy has changed. Iraq is still occupied. The Guantanamo torture prison is still functioning. Rendition and assassinations are still occurring. Spying on Americans without warrants is still the order of the day. Civil liberties are continuing to be violated in the name of Oceanias war on terror.

Apparently, the Nobel committee is suffering from the delusion that, being a minority, Obama is going to put a stop to Western hegemony over darker-skinned peoples.

The non-cynical can say that the Nobel committee is seizing on Obamas rhetoric to lock him into the pursuit of peace instead of war. We can all hope that it works. But the more likely result is that the award has made War is Peace the reality.

Obama has done nothing to hold the criminal Bush regime to account, and the Obama administration has bribed and threatened the Palestinian Authority to go along with the US/Israeli plan to deep-six the UNs Goldstone Report on Israeli war crimes committed during Israels inhuman military attack on the defenseless civilian population in the Gaza Ghetto.

The US Ministry of Truth is delivering the Obama administrations propaganda that Iran only notified the IAEA of its secret new nuclear facility because Iran discovered that US intelligence had discovered the secret facility. This propaganda is designed to undercut the fact of Irans compliance with the Safeguards Agreement and to continue the momentum for a military attack on Iran.

The Nobel committee has placed all its hopes on a bit of skin color.

War is Peace is now the position of the formerly antiwar organization, Code Pink.
Code Pink has decided that womens rights are worth a war in Afghanistan.

When justifications for war become almost endless--oil, hegemony, womens rights, democracy, revenge for 9/11, denying bases to al Qaeda and protecting against terrorists--war becomes the path to peace.

The Nobel committee has bestowed the prestige of its Peace Prize on Newspeak and Doublethink.

Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan administration. He is coauthor of The Tyranny of Good Intentions.He can be reached at: PaulCraigRoberts@yahoo.com
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #82 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

A racist article here by Paul Craig Roberts, one of a minority in the media who isn't scared of reality.

Quote:

Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan administration. He is coauthor of The Tyranny of Good Intentions.He can be reached at: PaulCraigRobertsisaFUCKTARD@yahoo.com

Who the fuck is this racist anyway?

Oh, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan administration, someone who knows absolutely nothing about absolutely anything, that's who.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #83 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Rmember when John McCain showed some class? Why can't the rest of you right wing folks EVER take the high road?

"I think all of us were surprised at the decision. But I think Americans are always pleased when their president is recognized by something on this order." -John McCain

Apparently John didn't get the memo from the rest of his party shouting how awful Obama is from their rooftops.

Speaking of the high road, remember when BR condemned Hands for associating heath care with civilian death squads in reverse, that the failure to provide it was the same as secret police plugging you in the head?

I don't remember that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Oh, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan administration, someone who knows absolutely nothing about absolutely anything, that's who.

It is sad that since you have no argument you have to distort what everyone says with the quote feature. Is intentionally distorting the words of others the best you can do?

I'll be waiting for the appropriate BR condemnation here as well.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #84 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It is sad that since you have no argument you have to distort what everyone says with the quote feature. Is intentionally distorting the words of others the best you can do?l

Who gives a flying fuck what anyone from the fringe right or fringe left in PO thinks anyway?

I know I don't.
post #85 of 355
Trump, you used to be reasonable. I rarely posted here during the Bush administration, but seriously, you've become far more ornery. We'll get through this economic bullshit, so if anything is going to be Bush's legacy, it's going to be the extreme division and polarization his policies and attitude inspired. For fuck's sake, stop searching so hard to twist reality to condemn Obama for anything and everything. You guys had your chance. It's not Obama's fault that Bush turned out to be a warmonger who lacked even a shred of fiscal conservatism.

Sit down, shut up, swallow your own medicine, and let the Democrats have a turn at fucking things up. If you ever complained about Democrats not falling in line behind Bush in a time of war, you have ZERO standing by your own set of principles to take every opportunity to undermine Obama's presidency. Don't try to turn it around and say "OH NOW WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO DISSENT." You wouldn't allow dissent during Bush's turn, so live by your own fucking set of rules you established. If you really want to oppose Obama left and right, then fucking apologize for how outrageous your own rules were back in Bush's presidency.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #86 of 355
Quote:

Who gives a flying fuck what anyone from the fringe right or fringe left in PO thinks anyway?

I know I don't.

If you don't care about it then why distort it? Your actions reflect what you care about.

Quote:

Trump, you used to be reasonable. I rarely posted here during the Bush administration, but seriously, you've become far more ornery. We'll get through this economic bullshit, so if anything is going to be Bush's legacy, it's going to be the extreme division and polarization his policies and attitude inspired. For fuck's sake, stop searching so hard to twist reality to condemn Obama for anything and everything. You guys had your chance. It's not Obama's fault that Bush turned out to be a warmonger who lacked even a shred of fiscal conservatism.

Sit down, shut up, swallow your own medicine, and let the Democrats have a turn at fucking things up. If you ever complained about Democrats not falling in line behind Bush in a time of war, you have ZERO standing by your own set of principles to take every opportunity to undermine Obama's presidency. Don't try to turn it around and say "OH NOW WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO DISSENT." You wouldn't allow dissent during Bush's turn, so live by your own fucking set of rules you established. If you really want to oppose Obama left and right, then fucking apologize for how outrageous your own rules were back in Bush's presidency.

I assure you BR that nothing has changed about me. You should go read my boomer thread. I think you'd see plenty of what floats your boat in terms of political discussion.

Second, there is no proof that we will "get through this economic bullshit." Obama's stimulus hasn't stimulated. The unemployment rate will soon be over 10% and no amount of liberal media spin will change that fact. The world would dump the dollar in a second due to rampant printing. That thread goes into great detail about the boomer delusions that the dollar value no matter the circumstances.

Democrats have already been running the Congress since 2006. In three years the deficits have already doubled and then doubled again.

As for my actions and what I allowed and didn't allow, I control nothing on here nor do I control anyone in the real world. Take the caricatures dancing in your head and send them to the Daily Show where they belong. There are no MY rules. You claim Bush had a chance but in reality he didn't. Critics attacked him as illegitimate on day one. Republicans only have full control of both houses for 4 out of his eight years. It is a lot more complicated than Bill Maher and Keith Olbermann would have you believe.

post #87 of 355
Quote:

Probably the best, to the point, and based in reality post I've read here in years!

Well said!

I'm pretty sure someone won't like it though. Most effective medicine goes down hard.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #88 of 355
Quote:

*sigh*

Making the observation (even if it is wrong) that someone else's actions might have been motivated by race does not make the observer/claimant a racist.
post #89 of 355
Quote:

It's not Obama's fault that Bush turned out to be a warmonger

Is it also Bush's fault that Obama has not only failed to end either of these wars but is also escalating one (Afghanistan), sending drones into Pakistan and getting all bitchy with Iran over its legitimate (so far as has been proven to date) nuclear energy program?

Quote:

who lacked even a shred of fiscal conservatism.

Finally, someone admits it!
post #90 of 355
Quote:

Obama's stimulus hasn't stimulated. The unemployment rate will soon be over 10%

And since 10% isn't high enough they're gearing up to stimulate unemployment more with another "stimulus" plan.
post #91 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

And since 10% isn't high enough they're gearing up to stimulate unemployment more with another "stimulus" plan.

This may or may not be true. Do you have a link or are you just giving us your opinion again?
post #92 of 355
Quote:

Is it also Bush's fault that Obama has not only failed to end either of these wars but is also escalating one (Afghanistan), sending drones into Pakistan and getting all bitchy with Iran over its legitimate (so far as has been proven to date) nuclear energy program.

Imagine a world where Obama, upon taking office, shut down Guantanamo and pulled all the troops out of both Iraq and Afghanistan. Here's the conservative headlines:

OBAMA: COWARD
OBAMA: FORSAKING OUR DEAD HEROES
OBAMA: WANTS ANOTHER 9/11
OBAMA: DESTROYING AMERICA
OBAMA: TALIBAN SYMPATHIZER

He can't win because no matter what he does, no matter what move he makes, those who oppose Obama will scream at the top of their lungs about how awful
"not their president" is. God, remember like 6 years ago when "not my president" was construed to be bordering on treason? Oh how the tables have turned. If it weren't actually real, it would be fucking hilarious. As it is real, it's face-palmingly sad.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #93 of 355
Quote:

Imagine a world where Obama, upon taking office, shut down Guantanamo and pulled all the troops out of both Iraq and Afghanistan. Here's the conservative headlines:

He can't win because no matter what he does, no matter what move he makes, those who oppose Obama will scream at the top of their lungs how awful he is.

So you're saying he doesn't have the moral fortitude to do what's right because he's afraid of what the right will say?
post #94 of 355
Quote:

He can't win because no matter what he does, no matter what move he makes, those who oppose Obama will scream at the top of their lungs how awful he is.

I was just talking on the phone to a friend about this very thing! So right now it really doesn't matter what the right says about Obama. It would always be contrary. Which unfortunately makes their statements irrelevant.

As soon as they figure out this tact doesn't really work they can start to reform and stand a chance to get back in the game. Maybe by 2016.

As I've said before the job of the Republicans is to balance out the Democrats when they get out of hand. That's the way our system works. Unfortunately right now they don't get why they lost the election. They're just angry.

They need to stop that and need to keep their extreme elements out of the limelight. They also need to work on their own solutions. And by that I don't mean the usual rhetoric or song and dance but real workable solutions. All they're doing these days is pointing fingers. The voters got tired of that. What can I say.
post #95 of 355
Quote:

If you don't care about it then why distort it? Your actions reflect what you care about.

It?

What exactly is it?

My actions?

What exactly are my actions?

You are not I.

Thoughts from all those having already fallen from the brink of the fringes so very long ago need not apply.
post #96 of 355
Quote:

*sigh*

Making the observation (even if it is wrong) that someone else's actions might have been motivated by race does not make the observer/claimant a racist.

You mean like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, et alii? \
post #97 of 355
Quote:

So you're saying he doesn't have the moral fortitude to do what's right because he's afraid of what the right will say?

No, dumbass. I'm saying that the right will take anything he does and find a negative spin. Come on, you know damn well you're being intentionally obtuse. You aren't stupid and you knew very well what I was saying. See the spin? You can't not spin. Ever.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #98 of 355
Quote:

No, dumbass.

Careful.

Quote:

I'm saying that the right will take anything he does and find a negative spin.

So? Why does this matter to him? Does he believe it would be right to do the things you suggested or not? If he does and his reasons for not doing it are that some folks on the right will say nasty things about him, then what is it but a lack of moral fortitude to stand up and do the right thing regardless of what others say.
post #99 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I was just talking on the phone to a friend about this very thing! So right now it really doesn't matter what the right says about Obama. It would always be contrary. Which unfortunately makes their statements irrelevant.

As soon as they figure out this tact doesn't really work they can start to reform and stand a chance to get back in the game. Maybe by 2016.

As I've said before the job of the Republicans is to balance out the Democrats when they get out of hand. That's the way our system works. Unfortunately right now they don't get why they lost the election. They're just angry.

They need to stop that and need to keep their extreme elements out of the limelight. They also need to work on their own solutions. And by that I don't mean the usual rhetoric or song and dance but real workable solutions. All they're doing these days is pointing fingers. The voters got tired of that. What can I say.

Yarp. I don't see how they are going to be able to keep up the disproportionate outrage for any serious length of time without losing the rest of the independents. Are we finally seeing the death throes of this fiscally irresponsible and socially ultra-conservative wing of the Republican party? God I hope so. Good riddance.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #100 of 355
Quote:

Careful.

So? Why does this matter to him? Does he believe it would be right to do the things you suggested or not? If he does and his reasons for not doing it are that some folks on the right will say nasty things about him, then what is it but a lack of moral fortitude to stand up and do the right thing regardless of what others say.

Careful yourself. See how you just hijacked the argument? See how you can't handle anything not on your terms? I know you have a little shit eating grin as you're typing this because you know very well what you're doing here. Cut it out.

I mean, really. How the hell do the same people who yelled DISSENT IS TREASON a few years ago suddenly start yelling DISSENT IS PATRIOTISM without knowing deep down inside how insanely hypocritical they are? How can they bob and weave and never admit the hypocrisy when confronted with it and not feel a single pang of guilt over how irrational they're being? Does the hate just cloud everything with a convenient amnesia?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #101 of 355
Quote:

Moral fortitude?

What exactly is Obama's moral fortitude?

Please put it in a box for us and put a pretty bow ribbon on top.

If you don't mind.
post #102 of 355
Quote:

Careful yourself. See how you just hijacked the argument? See how you can't handle anything not on your terms? I know you have a little shit eating grin as you're typing this because you know very well what you're doing here. Cut it out.

I didn't hijack squat. Quit whining, man-up and defend your bullshit point.

You plainly claimed that he didn't do the things you listed because some people might say some mean things about him. I asked why that was. Tell us. Is it because he doesn't have the guts? The courage of his convictions? Or maybe it's because he doesn't really care all that much about those things after all?

Quote:

I mean, really. How the hell do the same people who yelled DISSENT IS TREASON a few years ago suddenly start yelling DISSENT IS PATRIOTISM without knowing deep down inside how insanely hypocritical they are? How can they bob and weave and never admit the hypocrisy when confronted with it and not feel a single pang of guilt over how irrational they're being? Does the hate just cloud everything with a convenient amnesia?

I don't know. Ask people that are doing that. I'm not one of them.
post #103 of 355
Quote:

I didn't hijack squat. Quit whining, man-up and defend your bullshit point.

You plainly claimed that he didn't do the things you listed because some people might say some mean things about him. I asked why that was. Tell us. Is it because he doesn't have the guts? The courage of his convictions? Or maybe it's because he doesn't really care all that much about those things after all?

Reading comprehension failure. SAT scores dropping precipitously. Red Alert. Red Alert.

No, I merely said that IF he had done those things, here's how the right WOULD HAVE reacted. I made no, zero, zilch, null, absolutely nary a comment as to whether or not pulling out immediately was the right thing to do nor that Obama was somehow scared into keeping troops there. That may be your contention, but it certainly isn't mine and it CERTAINLY was NEVER, EVER, NOT IN A BAJILLION YEARS was my point, no matter HOW MANY TIMES you insist that it was.

In other words, IF OBAMA SAID, "I LOVE THE SUN", THE VERY VOCAL RIGHT WING WOULD RESPOND "FUCK THE SUN, THE SUN SUCKS, AND ONLY COWARD TERRORISTS WOULD DISAGREE."

Clear now?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #104 of 355
Quote:

Oh, I see, you are really talking about Dubya.

Now there's a fucktard that has some serious moral convictions and moral fortitude.

A fuckitude of convictions.
post #105 of 355
Quote:

No, I merely said that IF he had done those things, here's how the right WOULD HAVE reacted. I made no, zero, zilch, null, absolutely nary a comment as to whether or not pulling out immediately was the right thing to do nor that Obama was somehow scared into keeping troops there.

But you used that reasoning as a basis for why he hasn't done it.
post #106 of 355
Quote:

But you used that reasoning as a basis for why he hasn't done it.

No, I didn't. Maybe in your head. But only there.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #107 of 355
Quote:

No, I didn't.

OK. Fine. You didn't. Then answer my original question without wandering into your speculative fantasy world of if this and if that:

Quote:
Is it also Bush's fault that Obama has not only failed to end either of these wars but is also escalating one (Afghanistan), sending drones into Pakistan and getting all bitchy with Iran over its legitimate (so far as has been proven to date) nuclear energy program?

Or shut the fuck up.
post #108 of 355
Quote:

Or shut the fuck up.

Careful.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #109 of 355
Quote:

Careful.

Careful yourself.
post #110 of 355
See how silly you sound?

Anyway, maybe Bush entrenched us so far into Iraq and Afghanistan (utterly botching the latter by diverting too many resources for the unnecessary former) that immediately pulling out may have more of a destabilizing effect on the region. I don't know, I don't have the intelligence reports that the president has access to. I certainly hope they are a lot more candid than the ones that Bush received.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #111 of 355
Quote:

Anyway, maybe Bush entrenched us so far into Iraq and Afghanistan (utterly botching the latter by diverting too many resources for the unnecessary former) that immediately pulling out may have more of a destabilizing effect on the region. I don't know, I don't have the intelligence reports that the president has access to. I certainly hope they are a lot more candid than the ones that Bush received.

See, that wasn't so hard now was it?
post #112 of 355
Quote:

See, that wasn't so hard now was it?

It was, because you made it so. Imagine a world where people could have discussions without being intentionally jerked around like you just did with me. Maybe people could actually get shit done. Maybe you're just PMSing because your Cardinals are losing 5-0. Who knows? Bad day at work? Get corpse camped?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #113 of 355
Quote:

It was, because you made it so. Imagine a world where people could have discussions without being intentionally jerked around like you just did with me.

Imagine a world in which you just answered the question (as you just did) right off the bat instead of wandering off into wild speculations of who might have done what if this might happened by so-and-so.
post #114 of 355
Quote:

OK. Fine. You didn't. Then answer my original question without wandering into your speculative fantasy world of if this and if that:

Or shut the fuck up.

The fringe horizon is like the event horizon.

Once inside, they can't ever see the light of day.
post #115 of 355
Quote:

Imagine a world in which you just answered the question (as you just did) right off the bat instead of wandering off into wild speculations of who might have done what if this might happened by so-and-so.

What I said fit in the context of the rest of the thread. Deal with it. Of course, you didn't deny jerking me around. Lack of a denial isn't necessarily an admission, but I kinda think it might be here.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #116 of 355
Quote:

I know I don't.

Speak for yourself. As a rule, much of what you blather about is marinated in a tank of self-righteous weaseldom which has little or no bearing on reality... either to the left or the right.

post #117 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Who is slaying 45,000 American Citizens?

And not having a set amount of insurance is slaying someone? Talk about shifting Baselines...

The Republican's. They really are murdering and crippling their own citizens for profit. It's that simple.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #118 of 355
Quote:

Hmmm, sounds biased to me.

post #119 of 355
Quote:

Speak for yourself.

I did.
post #120 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Hmmm, sounds biased to me.

Since that quote was not from me, how and why did you ascribe it to me?

Having said that, it seems that in the United Pavlovian Coerced States of America, to level any form of criticism of Obama "justifies" an accusation of "racism". Similarly, to level any form of criticism towards the (former) Bush Administration rendered one a "terrorist sympathizer". But wait, there's more... to criticize any aspect of Israel.. and you're a "Holocaust denier", or guilty of "anti-semitism". Or if you point out the shortcomings of the US healthcare system and support something more civilized... you're now a "Marxist".. and if you point out the obvious and proven facts that (some) governments use terror attacks to frighten and subsequently enrage the citizens to further military and monetary gains, at best, you're up against a wall of silence, denial and mass "follow my leader" type intellectual cowardice.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize