Originally Posted by ediedi
So, according to your logic, for each LP Apple buys 10.000 worth of equipment, and then throws it away, so that the next client is forced to pay another 10.000? Ha. I kid.
But seriously, if LPs are web-like, development costs should be very low. If I had a band, all I wanted to put in it would be cover art, lyrics, band bio and some extra photos.
I didn't make my point clearly enough.
Let me try this:
If Apple does, in fact, charge $10,000 per LP album to create the package.
If the necessary content (pictures, videos, lyrics, credits, background material for each song, etc.) already exists.
It takes creative skilled people, with talent, with training, with professional hardware and software, to put together a LP package.
I have an example where all the content is available and all the skill, hardware, software and training is already in place.
In my case, I am using about 14 seconds of game play to create 2 minutes of video (with audio background) to present a soccer highlight. This is roughly equivalent to 1 song in a 12-song LP album.
First, I get the content into a format I could manipulate (uploading from the camera).
Then I spent several hours reviewing the footage to see what I had-- jumping back and forth marking points of interest.
To do this I have to be knowledgeable about the game of soccer, the particular players, the position of people on and off screen. A good coach once told me that: "Goals don't win soccer games, Defense wins soccer games... provide a good defense and the goals will happen".
So, after identifying the clips and bits I can use, I put together a prototype of what looks good.
At this point I am several hours into the process.
Now, i see how it plays-- parts are too light/dark/blurry. They need to be corrected.
Then, I decide to insert a freeze frame here and another further down, with a slow-motion lead-in.
The freeze frame needs to be cropped or otherwise highlighted for emphasis.
This is an iterative process, going over things, adding, modifying, deleting.
For example my original 14-second sequence shows a sweeper getting the ball near center line, kicking it over everyone's heads and it bounces in front of the goal, where a teammate heads it into the net. I have a freeze frame of the kick, a slowmo of the ball bouncing and another freeze of the header. I need cropped and enlarged portraits to highlight the 2 players-- the kicker is easy, but all I have is the back of the header player. So, back to the original video to see if I can find a workable portrait of the second player, that won't look out of context.
I usually add a prolog, titles, some text panels explaining what is happening, and an epilog. This takes time selecting fonts that will look good at various resolutions, colors, fades, wipes, and entering the actual content.
On this particular project, it took about 8 hours to get to this point. Isolating individual action shots on a field of running players is tough!
Then, I wanted some upbeat background music-- I picked a segment of a song by trial and error, and found a match I liked after about 30 minutes.
Once this was done, the process of synching the video with the audio began. What I attempt to do here is match up points in the audio with key points in the video: a drumroll as a player approaches the ball then a rimshot or symbol clash at the point of impact. This is done by fiddling with the video, clipping/extending to match the audio.
This too, is iterative, and each time you need to review more and more of what you have done as the project nears completion.
On this particular project, I used Arlo Guthrie's St. Louis Tickle for the opening and main video, then Liberty Bell March (Monty Python Theme) for the trailer credits and short video of a Beckham midfield goal from 1996.
When I was happy, about 11 hours in, I uploaded the video to YouTube in HD format. After about 40 minutes, the video was available but the audio was disabled-- YouTube didn't accept the "Tickle" audio.
So, back to the drawing boards. I spent an hour trying various "acceptable" audio tracks, but couldn't find one I liked. So I redid the whole thing with the Monty Python track and just ignored the A/V synching.
After 12 hours of work, I had my 2:18 duration video "published".
I didn't use expensive software for this, Just iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto and Garageband.
The point is, it took someone:
1) who knew what he was doing
2) was familiar with the content and context
many hours to package a single video.
Just doing the video is not an easy job.
In an earlier post I stated that I don't think Apple wants to get into the LP creation business. Rather, they are using the $10,000 as an entry fee or cover charge so they can control the process while they gain experience.