or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft's Danger SideKick data loss casts dark on cloud computing

Microsoft's Danger SideKick data loss casts dark on cloud computing - Page 2

post #41 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.
In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

I thought you got banned?
post #42 of 104
People still use SideKick?!
post #43 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I thought you got banned?

You wished I got banned. It's not the same thing. This is the real world.

Get into your Steve Jobs jammies and go to bed it's getting late.
post #44 of 104
Quote:

Inflammatory comment removed.
Let's keep things civil people
post #45 of 104
Do you think Danger used to use another solution for their servers, Linux based perhaps?

I wonder if Microsoft in their fanaticism f#%@ed up by moving to a Microsoft solution.

I like MobileMe 20GB of storage and 200GB of traffic, $8 a month seems reasonable.

You forgot Nokia, T-Mobile is soon to get the N900 maybe you should get one and become a NonNokiaFan over on their forums.

Maybe you will be happier, you seem pretty upset most of the time.

Quote:

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #46 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Ina Fried is a guy, or used to be one.

Other than insight into your psyche, your post contributed what, exactly, to the conversation?

Quote:
What ever happened to redundancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Plus one!
post #47 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you think Danger used to use another solution for their servers, Linux based perhaps?

I wonder if Microsoft in their fanaticism f#%@ed up by moving to a Microsoft solution.

I like MobileMe 20GB of storage and 200GB of traffic, $8 a month seems reasonable.

You forgot Nokia, T-Mobile is soon to get the N900 maybe you should get one and become a NonNokiaFan over on their forums.

Maybe you will be happier, you seem pretty upset most of the time.

I heard blah, blah I'm getting ripped of by Apple &...

Nokia room. I don't frequent or even to my memory have never been in a Nokia forum.

Maybe another person an Apple Fan is supposed to hate.

Android in the mobile Market for the win.
MS in the rest of the world.

My perfect world. Just a few more months before my contract is up.

For those wishing to donate for my contract buyout donate to Google Voice.

Wait... I forgot it's Free and still banned.
post #48 of 104
Anywho, what exactly is a sidekick? I keep hearing about this thing.
post #49 of 104
I'm not joking when I say I don't know anyone who has a Sidekick and I don't think I've ever seen one whipped out (and I'm on the NYC subway every day). I think a tree just fell in the forest... maybe, wouldn't know.
post #50 of 104
Maybe Apple should have sold them a Time Capsule. :P

Now that the snark is out of the way, I would *guess* that Danger was not making backups per se, but was using data replication to an offsite SAN. This is great for covering hardware failures at the primary site, where the secondary site can take over almost immediately and with little data loss. The cost, delay, and complexity of making regular tape backups has encouraged many companies to reply on the replicated copy to be the "backup".

Unfortunately, this setup behaves like a giant RAID device so that clobbering your primary copy of the data will be promptly and thoroughly replicated to the secondary copy.

Likely, the IT techs doing the upgrade typed "format C:" instead of "format D:" and whoops, there went the data.

The same thing happened in 2007 to the State of Alaska, when a huge database got accidentally wiped out and the backups were no good (or were also wiped out when they tried to restore). Fortunately the recovery was just a matter of data entry, but I doubt that MS/Danger had printouts of everybody's data.
post #51 of 104
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28388/53/
Quote:
A bug has been reported in Apple's new Snow Leopard version of OS X that can result in the loss of an entire user account's data. The glitch seems to be triggered by using a Guest account and then trying to log back into a regular account.

Featured Whitepaper

5 Best Practices for Smartphone Support According to multiple topics on the Apple Support discussion boards, the problem can occur when a user logs into their Mac's Guest account -- whether by accident or on purpose -- and then tries to log back into their regular account.

it just work!
post #52 of 104
"Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire."

What a sack of ordure you are, NonVendorFan. The "loan" to which you undoubtedly allude was actually a payoff from Billy Boy Gates and his criminal enterprise to Apple Computer (then) for stealing (YES, STEALING!) QuickTime code in 1994. No loan, sir or madam. Rather, a bribe to keep MSFT out of court and their CEO out of jail!

Personally, I wish Apple had pursued the matter and put the whole lot behind bars. So much for short-sightedness.
post #53 of 104
Quote:

Actually it's a Steve Jobs nightie.
post #54 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why was the entire focus of this article on how Apple's method is better than Danger's?

In this case the writer just expanded on widely held views of cloud computing. No mater how you look at it, cloud computing is a step backwards. Mentioning the security behind keep control of your data is simple reinforced by providing examples.

Apples way isn't a clear winner either but obviously it is better than what we have seen with MicroSoft. In any event "Danger MicroSoft" is a joke that will go on for a very long time.

Dave
post #55 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually it's a Steve Jobs nightie.

or not. Time to cough up the details.

Dave
post #56 of 104
Leave it to NVF to show up and apologize for Microsoft's misadventures in user's data.

BTW, GAAP determines how earnings are reported. Apple has been reporting both sets of numbers all along, so even investors of your stature won't be confused.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #57 of 104
Quote:

It would be nice to bookmark this post and revisit it one year from now, then another year later. Too bad there is no way to ask the author to put his money where his mouth is. I hate gambling but I would readily bet $10,000 that Apple and iPhone will be just fine in 2011.
post #58 of 104
In the days before the Internet vendors locked you in to their file formats. In the Internet age they lock you in to their servers. Same old game different face.
post #59 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

I never said I was a girl.
post #60 of 104
I think you'll find that losing everyone's data is simply a 'rounding error'...
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #61 of 104
Quote:

Microsoft & Google have each other

Have each other... hahaha!

More like Google will have made Microsoft its bitch.
post #62 of 104
Quote:

I heard blah, blah I'm getting ripped of by Apple &...

Nokia room. I don't frequent or even to my memory have never been in a Nokia forum.

Maybe another person an Apple Fan is supposed to hate.

Android in the mobile Market for the win.
MS in the rest of the world.

My perfect world. Just a few more months before my contract is up.

For those wishing to donate for my contract buyout donate to Google Voice.

Wait... I forgot it's Free and still banned.

Leave him alone guys.

He just never got any love as a kid and is just trying to be an attention whore. Theres many more like him on the internets and the mommies just can't be expected to babysit all of them.

As far as this Microsoft boondoggle goes, just glad it wasn't Apple. They really would have gotten crucified.
post #63 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fix View Post

what ever happened to redundancy?

best post i have read in yrs !!!
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

she just did
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #65 of 104
Cloud computing isn't the problem.

Microsoft is the problem.
post #66 of 104
If you're going to troll, at least make it effective. If you have enough energy to come on these boards for the sole purpose of insulting people, at least find a couple of brain cells to rub to toegether and do it so that it actually makes you look clever, rather than someone with a permanent head injury.

Answers are in bold within the quoted material.

Quote:

It's currently the best Cloud computing solution. Whatever happens, you've got a local copy of your iDisk on the desktop. I work entirely off the Cloud, and MobileMe has been indidpensable. And I'd rather pay for a service to ensure Apple keeps itself accountable to a higher standard of customer expectation, which it has.

We're waiting for the big Google Phone revolution. We keep hearing about it but never see it. Wake me up when they've ripped off enough features from the iPhone to make themselves viable.

Why would anyone here wish MS dead? Quite the contrary, they make Apple look that much better without Apple really having to do any work on their part. MS went merrily along and botched up Windows Mobile and Vista all by themselves. MS is their own worst enemy. Then they released those "Pink" phones and simply proved it.

Most of this is just trolling for the hell of it, since it has no basis in reality. I don't know what's more sad, a Windows troll (because their suffering is self-induced), or a Windows troll camping an Apple fansite.

Apple is selling *more* Macs in a recession. Record Mac sales. What do iPhone numbers have to do with Mac sales? Apple has defined smartphone the market and keeps redefining it. I'd be much more worried about the comepetition. It's been over two years now and they still haven't gotten their act together. And Android is about to go down the Windows Mobile road - an OS that's supposed to work right on a multitude of devices. Good luck. Hopefully Google will at least be more competent than the idiots at MS in this area.

Subscription accounting meant that Apple has been *under-reporting* iPhone earnings for two years. One of the factors that kept its share price from fully reflecting the success of one most profitable products Apple has ever made.

Apple wanted to offer iPhone users free software updates. According to a reading of certain accounting rules relating to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, items that gain significant new functionality after the sale-due to a firmware update, for instance, can't have the revenue recorded at the time of sale. The revenue is reported over a certain period of time, called subscription accounting. Since Apple planned to potentially offer new features in software updates, it records revenue from the sale if iPhones over a period of two years-the length of a standard carrier contract.

Apple isn't the only company that has been lobbying to change this rule. Other companies like Microsoft and Xerox have also been pursuing the change.

That change also means that Apple could be free to offer major iPhone OS updates to iPod touch users completely free of charge.
post #67 of 104
Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally?

I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts and then removed them from my iPhone and iPOD's the next time they synced.

Has to be said though anyone who completely relies on Cloud based services should be prepared to loose all the data they have on them.
post #68 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally?

I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts and then removed them from my iPhone and iPOD's the next time they synced.

Has to be said though anyone who completely relies on Cloud based services should be prepared to loose all the data they have on them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3787

All answers are there.
post #69 of 104
MS simply doesn't care, they're a reprehensible, borderline illegal company with deep pockets that "pays off" any potential problems using gag orders to keep their conduct secret.
Do a search and look at the dozens of suits that they've settled and they continue to make crappy products.
post #70 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you're going to troll, at least make it effective. If you have enough energy to come on these boards for the sole purpose of insulting people, at least find a couple of brain cells to rub to toegether and do it so that it actually makes you look clever, rather than someone with a permanent head injury.

Well said sir!!!
post #71 of 104
The Chicago Tribune just ran a puff piece this morning on Microsoft's new $500 million data center in which Microsoft brags about how its run by only 42 employees, just 3 of them employed by Microsoft. I guess you can see where their priorities are.
post #72 of 104
The issue here and the massive loss of data is not a technical one, it's a human failing. Complacency is the cause of this event. If Microsoft and others do not address the complacency issue, these losses will keep occurring.

Next up no doubt ... the Microsoft Windows Complacency Server.
post #73 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Other than insight into your psyche, your post contributed what, exactly, to the conversation?

Plus one!

urrr... nothing whatsoever! Except that I could never figure out why Ina dressed so odd during interviews. That is until I looked up his/her Wikipedia profile...
"Sheila was a MAN!!"
bb
bb
post #74 of 104
Quote:

You hit the nail on the head, 99% of his comments have no fact and it is like a child screaming their guts out because the child can't have their own way.

Fact: Apple is successful
Opinion: Apple will continued to be successful, if the products continue to meet customer requirements and push innovation.
post #75 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageIVsurvivor View Post

MS simply doesn't care, they're a reprehensible, borderline illegal company with deep pockets that "pays off" any potential problems using gag orders to keep their conduct secret.
Do a search and look at the dozens of suits that they've settled and they continue to make crappy products.

Exactly.

I doubt MS bought Danger to gain anything like Intellectual Property, market share or to remove a competitor. I'd bet they were after patents. Why innovate, or service customers for a measly return? Let Android handle that. Then hop on down to East Texas and make 'em share the wealth. When that happens it'd come across that Google somehow was trying to copy Microsoft 'innovation'. Most folks would never guess that Microsoft had bought 'last year's model' Android with paternal links to Google's.
post #76 of 104
Quote:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3787

All answers are there.

Thanks, although that doesn't really answer it. Still seems that unless you manually set something up to back up all your data. The fact it is synced between your machine and the cloud rather than just existing on the cloud is irrelevant as if your data is deleted form the cloud when a sync happens it is likely just to delete it from you machine.
post #77 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelbrp View Post

In IT the costs for redundancy and back up has to be justified. … The problem isn't with technology or that things like 'clouds' aren't reliable yet. It's pure economics. Your data will always be worth more to you than to the corporation.

you're only too right. ms' decisions ignored the costs. data loss in computing is as sure as crashes on roads, but imagine if an accident on the interstate meant that everyone who just used that road, had to get a new car (or some other outrageous metaphor using mcdonalds). when you are a service industry (unlike ms' other/core business units) and a commodity one at that, your customers' satisfaction is your product and the cost must be justified.

i suddenly really like that the iphone is backed up easily and often w my computer which is also backed up easily and often.
post #78 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Thanks, although that doesn't really answer it. Still seems that unless you manually set something up to back up all your data. The fact it is synced between your machine and the cloud rather than just existing on the cloud is irrelevant as if your data is deleted form the cloud when a sync happens it is likely just to delete it from you machine.

MobileMe has a configurable setting to prompt you when more that x% of the data is changed. If your sync prompts you that 100% of your (for example) calendar items have changed it's fairly easy to choose to not sync.

I deleted a bunch of bookmarks on my iPhone recently, when I checked the MobileMe sync at home that night I got the prompt that 40% of my bookmarks were going to change as the result of the sync operation. In this case it was intentional, so I hit Continue, but I could've just have easily said to not sync and disconnected my MobileMe sync to my iPhone until I got the issue sorted out.

FWIW, I also have Time Machine backups on my mini and MacBook that includes Mail, iCal, etc. so I can always restore something deleted from my Mac.

post #79 of 104
What did MS do, overwrite the drives with zeros and ones seven times?

I doubt it, the message is your data isn't worth recovering.

DANGER, Microsoft working.

post #80 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Thank you.
It was indescribably hard not to say the sa... wait! wait! AaarG! I CAN'T STOP IT....!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft's Danger SideKick data loss casts dark on cloud computing