or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › U.S. Army adopts Apple for new video surveillance

U.S. Army adopts Apple for new video surveillance

post #1 of 100
For security, ease of use and features, the U.S. Army has reportedly turned to Apple hardware for four new video surveillance installations.

According to Security Systems News, the Army now has four video surveillance installations based on Mac OS X and Apple servers. Pat Mercer, security business leader/sales manager with Siemens, said the IT department was initially reluctant to go Mac, but as they explored the systems, it became clear it was the best and most secure option.

"When you ask them what their requirements are, they say, 'Low bandwidth, and I need to make sure nothing is going to hack into my network via your system,' Mercer said. "Thats where the Mac conversation begins. The viruses, hacking, all of those things are dramatically minimized with Apple and it eliminates a lot of those challenges."

Chris Gettings, CEO and president of VideoNEXT, said the Mac offers security that Windows cannot, and a user interface far superior to Red Hat Linux.

"It just runs," Gettings said. "Youre not going to have some of the memory-leak issues that seem to plague different versions of the Windows systems. And mission-critical customers appreciate that."

He said he particularly appreciates the consistency found in Apple hardware. When ordering identical servers from Dell two weeks apart, Gettings said he discovered that a chip on the motherboard had been changed. But with Apple, he said, he doesn't need to worry about issues like that. The streamlined hardware also allows him to create a more efficient system.

"He can put as many as 60 cameras on one Apple server that, according the specifications, has the same performance abilities as a Dell or HP server that can only serve 50 cameras," the report said.

The news isn't the first report of the U.S. Army embracing the Apple platform. In 2007, the military branch stepped up its Mac orders to thwart hacking attempts. The Army began shifting away from a Windows-only environment in 2005, when General Steve Boutelle warned that a homogenous operating system environment could expose a computer system to large-scale hacking attempts.

The Army has also used Apple hardware in the field, adopting custom iPods to be used as field translators in Iraq. The U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Division reportedly used iPods and iPod nanos modified to run a special application from Vcom 3D known as Vcommunicator Mobile. The system allows soldiers to choose words or phrases to broadcast out of an attached speaker and communicate with locals.
post #2 of 100
"When you ask them what their requirements are, they say, 'Low bandwidth, and I need to make sure nothing is going to hack into my network via your system,' Mercer said. "Thats where the Mac conversation begins. The viruses, hacking, all of those things are dramatically minimized with Apple and it eliminates a lot of those challenges."

Ooooooo!. Charlie Miller is gonna have a cow over this one.
post #3 of 100
"That’s where the Mac conversation begins. The viruses, hacking, all of those things are dramatically minimized with Apple and it eliminates a lot of those challenges."

Were they reluctant to say dropped to zero?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #4 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Thats where the Mac conversation begins. The viruses, hacking, all of those things are dramatically minimized with Apple and it eliminates a lot of those challenges."

Were they reluctant to say dropped to zero?

Meh, I assume it isn't good practice to speak of absolutes in the public/poltical/military sphere.

At least not after "Mission Accomplished."
post #5 of 100
heh, The report fails to mention where the surveillance cameras are installed. Are they watching us or them
post #6 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

heh, The report fails to mention where the surveillance cameras are installed. Are they watching us or them

They are installed in front of you.

And iChat Server SE (surveillance edition) is used to record every iSight they can get their hands on.
post #7 of 100
And yet, getting a simple videoconference up and running using an iSight external camera remains an ordeal. The whole process is still unnecessarily complicated.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 100
No "no military use" clauses in license agreements bundled with OSX?
post #9 of 100
"At least not after "Mission Accomplished."

Yeah, at least not after "unemployment will not rise above 8%"!
post #10 of 100
Does this mean we're closer to getting iChat [video] on the iPhone? Oh wait...it doesn't have a camera behind the display.

post #11 of 100
WOW, does this guy work for apple or did he just get some overexposure to the RDF simultaneously draining steve's powers? it explains his recent illness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It just runs," Gettings said.

someone get him a cue card. the line is, "It just works."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Army began shifting away from a Windows-only environment in 2005, when General Steve Boutelle warned that a homogenous operating system environment could expose a computer system to large-scale hacking attempts.

that and 'cuz the navy had a ship dead in the water that needed to be rebooted! remember that one kids? that was hilarious. i think it was the lexington running nt.
post #12 of 100
Yet another one realizes the obvious: that macs are leaps and bounds beyond windows PCs.

If the Army can figure this one out anybody should be able to as well. Unfortunately, there are those even more dim-witted than the Army.
post #13 of 100
I hope the Army doesn't let their guard down and not put any protection of for the Macs... every system is hackable.
post #14 of 100
Want to kill some terrorists? There's an app for that.

iKill, only on an iPhone.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #15 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Want to kill some terrorists? There's an app for that.

iKill, only on an iPhone.

Lol. This is good news. The more Apple computers are used in these protection hungry enviroments the more it can prove. That it isn't safer because it less used or not really used in highly secured setups. But it is safer because of it's architecture. Let the hacking begin!
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
post #16 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

Of course, it could just be for something as mundane as building or facility security. Just like any other business has to protect their property. After all, you don't want anyone breaking into a warehouse and stealing hammers at $800 apiece!

(In other words, just because the military is using it doesn't automatically mean it's being used for unethical purposes. Or should everyone be required to pass some ethics test before being allowed to purchase Apple products?)
post #17 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

I hope the Army doesn't let their guard down and not put any protection of for the Macs... every system is hackable.

DITTO.

i've been using mac since its introduction, and i've not encountered a mac software virus, BUT i still would not let my guard down.

never say "never" because, as ipodrulz said, "every system is hackable", but to some degree - some requiring intelligence. thus far, i think Charlie Miller has been the only one intelligent enough to publicly demonstrate this. i'm convince that all others are not as intelligent and perhaps as ethical (is he? i don't know) as he is. anything Windows is just a mindless plaything to people like Miller, however to the others, it taxes their brains.
post #18 of 100
Quote:

I have it on reasonable authority that system is helping to protect a whole mess of Dell servers.
HT
post #19 of 100
I'm curious if they are using XServe or Mac Pros. The XServe doesn't get much press.
post #20 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

i've been using mac since its introduction, and i've not encountered a mac software virus, BUT i still would not let my guard down.

You either have not been using Macs since the beginning, never shared any disks or didn't realize that the goofy clown who popped up and deleted all your files was a virus. There were tons of Mac viruses before OS X. Are you kidding me?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #21 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'm curious if they are using XServe or Mac Pros. The XServe doesn't get much press.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I guess you don't need card slots anymore for that even to manipulate the cameras. All usb or ethernet I think.

post #22 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Unfortunately, there are those even more dim-witted than the Army.

Like who, you?

Because only a dimwit would make a statement like that.
post #23 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You either have not been using Macs since the beginning, never shared any disks or didn't realize that the goofy clown who popped up and deleted all your files was a virus. There were tons of Mac viruses before OS X. Are you kidding me?

Of course I'm not kidding. I've not encountered any software virus on a Mac because I've always subscribe to the practice of "never say 'never'." I was always mindful of handling of e-mail attachments, visiting sites and downloading "free" software, and so on. It's simple common-sense computer usage. On the other hand, software virus distribution is sneaky, so if I let my guard down I might get a computer cootie. It can happen to anyone. (So, that goofy clown was several tons?)
post #24 of 100
Quote:

Nah... It's them not me. That's where I put the Post It note. I keep the iSight covered with it so the NSA can't see what color underwear I'm using on any particular day. I've been doing that ever since the Patriot Act.
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

Of course I'm not kidding. I've not encountered any software virus on a Mac because I've always subscribe to the practice of "never say 'never'." I was always mindful of handling of e-mail attachments, visiting sites and downloading "free" software, and so on. It's simple common-sense computer usage. (So, that goofy clown was several tons?)

I wasn't mindful. not in the least. I've still never encountered a virus on a Mac. For the record, I switch to Macs three months before they dropped OSX.
post #26 of 100
Quote:

No.
The standard OS license is geared towards personal/educational/commercial use.
But even if there were something in the license directed at military use, I imagine that the military is working directly with Apple on the systems solution and (if needed) a specific license would be developed allowing it.
post #27 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Nah... It's them not me. That's where I put the Post It note. I keep the iSight covered with it so the NSA can't see what color underwear I'm using on any particular day. I've been doing that ever since the Patriot Act.

Must be some pretty compelling underwear. Whatcha gonna do when Bama expands the Patriot Act? Heh heh...
post #28 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

Yes, but some systems are more hackable than others. Compare the number of times a Windows based web server has been hacked to a *nix one. In fact, didn't someone deface one of Microsoft's websites a few years ago?
post #29 of 100
Quote:

There were tons of Mac viruses before OS X. Are you kidding me?

Tons?
The total number of actual virii is less than 30 for ALL Mac OS versions.
post #30 of 100
They must not have done their homework . HP has systems that have the same processors in them as the mac servers do with linux.

My z600 is capable of 2 xeon 5590s with 24 gigs of ram .

The g6 configured off government contract is about $1000 - $2000 cheaper then a similarly configured xserve from apple.

Did apple thrown in more money then what is listed on their website?
post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

They must not have done their homework . HP has systems that have the same processors in them as the mac servers do with linux.

And?
What does this have to do with this story?
post #32 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

They are installed in front of you.

And iChat Server SE (surveillance edition) is used to record every iSight they can get their hands on.

Finally, a use for iSight.

Quote:

Probably just a "cover your ass" kind of line to cover liabilities, especially if someone's kid might die in a mishap. I'm not masochistic enough to go through a EULA just for a post, there maybe something prohibiting it from being used in weapon systems, not general IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The g6 configured off government contract is about $1000 - $2000 cheaper then a similarly configured xserve from apple.

Did apple thrown in more money then what is listed on their website?

HP does seem to make pretty nice workstations (mine are not current, a few years old), but hardware is just one piece of the puzzle, the same goes for the cost of the hardware. The cost of hardware is low compared to the cost of the people that support and use the hardware.
post #33 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

(In other words, just because the military is using it doesn't automatically mean it's being used for unethical purposes. Or should everyone be required to pass some ethics test before being allowed to purchase Apple products?)

It is amazing sometimes the extent of the bleeding hearts in this forum, there is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with killing the enemy. Sometimes the most efficent way to do that is messy, sometimes invisible to the general population in the end the only important thing is that they die wholesale.

It's all about evolution, just as in biology societies evolve in ways both positive and negative. Those societies that are non functional and dangerous either wither away on their own or must be destroyed from the outside. It is an unfortunate reality but if you want your own culture to grow and sustain itself you have to remove all threats to it. The American people are slowly learning this and hopefully soon the full wieght and power of the military can be applied to the trouble spots in the world.

Dave
post #34 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

And?
What does this have to do with this story?

The story states (you should read it) that the apple hardware was faster then the hp hardware. This makes no sense because the hp hardware uses the same processors and chipsets that the apple hardware does and it cheaper. With the severe discounts that hp gives to government agencies i dont see why they went the apple route (i work for a state agency so i know the prices).

Yes for things like graphic design and non techies apple is great but when it comes to tax payer money why get an apple when an hp with the same specs is cheaper? (i am talking an hp with linux not windows).
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is amazing sometimes the extent of the bleeding hearts in this forum, there is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with killing the enemy. Sometimes the most efficent way to do that is messy, sometimes invisible to the general population in the end the only important thing is that they die wholesale.

It's all about evolution, just as in biology societies evolve in ways both positive and negative. Those societies that are non functional and dangerous either wither away on their own or must be destroyed from the outside. It is an unfortunate reality but if you want your own culture to grow and sustain itself you have to remove all threats to it. The American people are slowly learning this and hopefully soon the full wieght and power of the military can be applied to the trouble spots in the world.

It goes both ways. There is also a certain level of naivete in the neocon assumption that centuries and millennia old ethnic conflicts can be solved in a few months with the right firepower.
post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Tons?
The total number of actual virii is less than 30 for ALL Mac OS versions.

Maybe, I never counted them, but back in the 80's and 90's while working in film output services, we would routinely discover 30 or so a week. Mostly variants of WDEF, MDEF, CDEF etc. All detected by Norton but few could be quarantined or repaired. It was a major problem until OS X. Plus there was the whole Macro virus epidemic for MS Office that came later. It seemed like a lot worse of a problem at the time than you make it out to be. Were you in elementary school at that time?

post #37 of 100
Quote:

Maybe, I never counted them,

Others have counted them.
I guess if you count the Office macro debacle as multiple instances, then okay, there were less than 30 plus the tens of thousands of macro virii.
Quote:
but back in the 80's and 90's while working in film output services, we would routinely discover 30 or so a week

And the IT guy kept his job? Sounds like you were not taking even basic precautions.
Quote:
Were you in elementary school at that time?

No, why?
post #38 of 100
Quote:

... there is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with killing the enemy.

There absolutely is something unethical with killing the enemy! I can't make nearly as much money off a dead enemy as I can with an alive one. As a free market capitalist cum "bleeding heart" liberal I would rather the opportunity to make a lot of money off of my enemy rather than kill them. The commodification of discontent is quite profitable and has a very long tail. Killing one's enemy is very anti-free market and anti-capitalist. Bad American, bad!
post #39 of 100
Quote:

Dave

Hear, Hear. And hopefully, Apple products will help to do that with utmost expediency and efficiency. I do own stock, after all.
post #40 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It goes both ways. There is also a certain level of naivete in the neocon assumption that centuries and millennia old ethnic conflicts can be solved in a few months with the right firepower.

It may go both ways, but its going more one way than the other, especially when a Global Moderator begins making blanket "neocon" assumptions/accusations.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › U.S. Army adopts Apple for new video surveillance