or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs tops list of teens' most admired entrepreneurs

Apple's Steve Jobs tops list of teens' most admired entrepreneurs

post #1 of 54
More evidence of Apple's influence within young America was discovered in a new survey, which found company co-founder Steve Jobs to be the most admired entrepreneur among teens and tweens.

In a survey of 1,000 U.S. children between the ages of 12 and 17, Jobs took top honors, ahead of media pioneer Oprah Winfrey, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. Jobs won the vote with 35 percent, ahead of Winfrey's 25 percent. The study was conducted by Junior Achievement, a non-profit youth organization focused on the education.

Jobs was chosen not for his wealth, but because two-thirds of respondents who selected him said they felt he had made a difference in people's lives, or made the world a better place. Another third said his success in multiple fields made him an admirable entrepreneur.

"We live in a celebrity-obsessed culture, so it's no surprise that teens admire famous entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Oprah Winfrey, who have built brands around their personas as well as around their products," said Jack Kosakowski, president of Junior Achievement USA.

It's yet another example of Apple's strong mindshare among America's youth. Last week, the results of the bi-annual Piper Jaffray teen survey showed that an overwhelming majority of teens own an iPod, and those that do not plan to buy one. In addition, teens who legally purchase music almost all use iTunes. And while the iPhone has a small marketshare among teens, 22 percent intend to purchase one in the next six months.

Following Jobs and Winfrey in the survey were Hawk with 16 percent and Zuckerberg with 10 percent. They were followed by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who garnered 7 percent of the vote, and Kimora Lee Simmons with 4 percent.

The Junior Achievement poll is in its seventh year. It was conducted by Opinion Research Corporation from Aug. 20-24, 2009 via telephone, and carries a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percent.

The survey also found that 92 percent of children believe entrepreneurial skills should be taught in college or earlier, and 46 percent would like them taught in grade school. In addition, 51 percent intend to start their own businesses someday, but 88 percent felt that the current economic climate would make it difficult to do so.

post #2 of 54
This is really disturbing news.
post #3 of 54
Excellent.. More geeks are on the way, which means we are only 3 to 4 generations from Star trek
post #4 of 54
He founds a company that brought the computer to the masses, leaves it until it goes down the tube from mismanagement, come back to lead it, does not resort to massive layoffs but to innovation and makes it one of the most, if not the most iconic company of this decade.

BTW, all these teens will be buying macs when they become adults. Go AAPL.
post #5 of 54
Isn't Difficult but possible and Somewhat challenging vagely similar?
I mean, if something is difficult but possible, it's most probably challenging, right? Maybe it's my bad English not detecting the two alternatives as clearly different
post #6 of 54
1,000 samples isn't a very reliable survey.

Where was the survey done? Palo Alto?

I have a hard time believing that the average American teenager even knows who makes the iPod let alone who the CEO is.
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

I have a hard time believing that the average American teenager even knows who makes the iPod let alone who the CEO is.

Not to mention Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-
Has anybody ever taken a statistics course at AI to render such validity to these stories? I mean this is so totally embarassing to post as a thread.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I mean, if something is difficult but possible, it's most probably challenging, right? Maybe it's my bad English not detecting the two alternatives as clearly different

If something is difficult but possible, it's usually very hard but can accomplished with some hard work.

If something is somewhat challenging, it's usually very easy but can sometimes prove a little difficult.

Hope that clears it up for you
post #9 of 54
Quote:

I am sure they did their work regarding the statistical analysis and percentage errors. Surveying large number of people requires longer time and effort. Most polls and surveys are within that range.
post #10 of 54
Looking at the pie charts I can't deny, "djeuns" are damn smart!
I'm very surprised and indeed ashamed of having been thinking of them as of hopelessly dumb idiots...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not to mention Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-
Has anybody ever taken a statistics course at AI to render such validity to these stories?

It's no more valid than if these statistics were posted to Engadget or Ars Technica. But you don't see people complaining about those statistics, do you?

And secondly, why is it disturbing? Obviously SJ has made a difference... if he wasn't here, then this site wouldn't be up for you to rant on That alone should convince you that he's significant, let alone why he revolutionized the world with the iPod, iPhone, Pixar, and Mac OS X.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

It's no more valid than if these statistics were posted to Engadget or Ars Technica. But you don't see people complaining about those statistics, do you?

And secondly, why is it disturbing? Obviously SJ has made a difference... if he wasn't here, then this site wouldn't be up for you to rant on That alone should convince you that he's significant, let alone why he revolutionized the world with the iPod, iPhone, Pixar, and Mac OS X.

When you see Steve Jobs lumped in with The Olsen Twins and The Oprah as most admired don't you find that slightly disturbing?
I'd bet NEWBEE was part of the survey.
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Hyperbole much?
post #14 of 54
Quote:

I'm not going to comment on the validity of the actual survey, but a sample of 1,000 is actually quite reliable. Generally, a base of 30+ is considered statistically valid.
I want to put a ding in the universe.
I want to put a ding in the universe.
post #15 of 54
Better him than Ballmer.
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayforteckstud View Post

Hyperbole much?

NO WAY!
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

I'm not going to comment on the validity of the actual survey, but a sample of 1,000 is actually quite reliable. Generally, a base of 30+ is considered statistically valid.

Where- in Indiana?
post #18 of 54
Quote:

Hyperbole much?

Love the username!
post #19 of 54
I wouldn't wish 'Starting a business' on my worst enemy! It is extremely difficult. But if you can pull it off...the worst day working for yourself is better than the best day working for someone else!

It's just most small businesses fail.

The IRS estimates if you want to make $100K a year (the businesses that have 'made it') have invested on average, $300K.

The problem is that it's not a given. Just because you invest $300K doesn't mean you will make $100K. Again most fail.

Steve Jobs said, 'it is so difficult. At 20 I made my first million, at 21, 10 million and 22, 100 million.'

Me? I'm still working on my second million, The first million was too hard!

Best
post #20 of 54
Quote:

When you see Steve Jobs lumped in with The Olsen Twins and The Oprah as most admired don't you find that slightly disturbing?

Yeah, my generation it was, 'where were you when Kennedy was shot?' This generation it's, 'where were you when the Paris Hilton sex tape came out?'
post #21 of 54
I took the liberty of fixing some critical errors I found while reading the article, and made the adjustments within the quotation. AI can feel free to thank me later

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...It's yet another example of Apple's strong mind share among America's youth. Last week, the results of the bi-annual Piper Jaffray teen survey showed that an overwhelming majority of teens own an iPod, and those that do not plan to [insert]make their parents buy them one.[/insert] In addition, teens who legally purchase music [insert]by abusing their mommy and daddy's credit card[/insert]almost all use iTunes. And while the iPhone has a small market share among teens, 22 percent intend to [insert]make their parents purchase one for them along with the $100/mo AT&T plan[/insert] in the next six months.
post #22 of 54
Quote:

I guess you are not old enough to remember that back in the late 70's and early 80's, teens thought Sony was the most admired company after they introduced the Sony Walkman. The Sony Walkman was everywhere, just as popular as the iPod, and every teen wanted one. That is the only reason why they think Jobs is cool. It is not disturbing news, it is just obvious news.
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs1970 View Post

He founds a company that brought the computer to the masses, leaves it until it goes down the tube from mismanagement, come back to lead it, does not resort to massive layoffs but to innovation and makes it one of the most, if not the most iconic company of this decade.

BTW, all these teens will be buying macs when they become adults. Go AAPL.

Get your facts straight. He didn't leave, he was fired after the board held a coup to get rid of him. Apple bought NeXT, which Jobs was part of that deal, since he owned NeXT. He did resort to massive layoffs by wiping out the crippled management team and replaced it with his own people. The iMac revived Apple three years before the iPod was released. Most teens with an iPod already own a Mac.
post #24 of 54
Quote:

I have a hard time believing that the average American teenager even knows who makes the iPod

Teenagers are smarter than you. They are not idiots. They know who makes the iPod.
post #25 of 54
Quote:

Just what disturbs you? --Everything?

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Love the username!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Get your facts straight. He didn't leave, he was fired after the board held a coup to get rid of him. Apple bought NeXT, which Jobs was part of that deal, since he owned NeXT. He did resort to massive layoffs by wiping out the crippled management team and replaced it with his own people. The iMac revived Apple three years before the iPod was released. Most teens with an iPod already own a Mac.

A bit harsh, but I agree.

Steve spent 10 years in the 'wilderness' messing with Next and buying Pixar. Must have been an excruciating period in his life. To be fired from your own company. I can't believe he doesn't harbor bitterness to the Board of Directors....with each Apple success it must be bittersweet for him.
post #27 of 54
Quote:

Hyperbole much?

Uh, what? "gayforteckstud"??

Really, really inappropriate. This is the kind of garbage I'd expect to see on MacRumors or Neowin. Not here.

Stupid idea, whoever you are. You might not always agree with Teckstud, but this sort of name-calling and baiting is a new low. If you want to debate, then debate. That's par for the course. But this is just pathetic.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Really, really inappropriate. This is the kind of garbage I'd expect to see on MacRumors or Neowin. Not here.

Stupid idea, whoever you are. You might not always agree with Teckstud, but this sort of name-calling and baiting is a new low. If you want to debate, then debate. That's par for the course. But this is just pathetic.

I have to agree with Quadra610 and add ZDNet to that garbage pile too.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

I have to agree with Quadra610 and add ZDNet to that garbage pile too.

I'd rather be 'depressed' than 'gay!'

Best
post #30 of 54
Quote:

This is the kind of garbage I'd expect to see on MacRumors or Neowin. Not here.

That is why it is here. AppleInsider has the same garbage as those other sites. TeckStud has earned his reputation based on his comments on products he never owns, and has no first hand experience with. His comments are equally unreliable as the articles posted here. He hates everything. You can't debate with him, it is pointless because he has no evidence to back anything up. But sometimes his comments are rather amusing.
post #31 of 54
Quote:

You should enroll in a basic statistics class at a local community college, before making statements like that.

A sample of 1000 randomly selected people from amongst a population of 300 million would result in a sampling error of (roughly) plus-or-minus 3% (for a 95% confidence interval).

Google something like "statistical sampling" and take it from there.....
post #32 of 54
Quote:

Sometimes, we all need to have a bit of a sense of humor..... I actually thought it was funny!
post #33 of 54
Quote:
"We live in a celebrity-obsessed culture, so it's no surprise that teens admire famous entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Oprah Winfrey, who have built brands around their personas as well as around their products," said Jack Kosakowski, president of Junior Achievement USA.

Sorry, Jack, but that's a bit off. 1) Oprah Winfrey IS a celebrity. I don't want to discredit her entrepreneurial achievements, but her fame is what runs her business. 2) Steve Jobs, despite what both Apple and Windows fanboys may claim, does NOT inject his persona into his products. He's all but missing from the Pixar credits (they do not say, A Steve Jobs Production!) And he has never appeared in a single Apple ad. His name is nowhere to be found on any Apple products. Compare and contrast with Michael Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Ford, or Bose.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Sorry, Jack, but that's a bit off. 1) Oprah Winfrey IS a celebrity. I don't want to discredit her entrepreneurial achievements, but her fame is what runs her business. 2) Steve Jobs, despite what both Apple and Windows fanboys may claim, does NOT inject his persona into his products. He's all but missing from the Pixar credits (they do not say, A Steve Jobs Production!) And he has never appeared in a single Apple ad. His name is nowhere to be found on any Apple products. Compare and contrast with Michael Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Ford, or Bose.

Terrific post. Well put.
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

He's all but missing from the Pixar credits (they do not say, A Steve Jobs Production!)

They don't say a Steve Jobs Production, but he is in the credits, given proper credit where it is due.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

They don't say a Steve Jobs Production, but he is in the credits, given proper credit where it is due.

Often fairly obscured. Thus the 'all but missing' part.
post #37 of 54
Quote:

You missed the point; he's gayfor teckstud. It's a a romantic gesture; he's in love. How sweet.

Not to sound like a frat boy who just had a good time with a sorority girl, but I think teckstud kinda liked it anyway. (?)

Regardless I know all about terrible names, you should change it. We can't change them can we?
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #38 of 54
"Jobs took top honors, ahead of media pioneer Oprah Winfrey, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk"

Steve has a better 720.
post #39 of 54
Quote:

Hell TeckDud, everything is disturbing news to you. Why would this be any different?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Are you even in the right thread?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs tops list of teens' most admired entrepreneurs