or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors

Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors - Page 4

post #121 of 133
Thank you sooo much, i have been a film editor for some 40 years, an AVID user on a Mac since 1993 and on FCP since 1998. I need a top of the line, state of the art computer that lasts 5 years before needing an upgrade and you are so right to point out that "pro's" like me will be writing the cost off. Most posters would appear to snipping from the sidelines and they sure fill these sites with fluff. Apple's cost because they deliver and they are consistent and I love them and are willing to stick with an industry standard. And they are beautifully designed by people, not PC nerds, now how do they like them bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's hardly meant for general home use, hence the "Pro" label.

If you're a "Pro" you wouldn't be paying for it out of pocket. In most cases it can also be written off, too, if you can demonstrate it's for work/business/home-as-regular-business-establishment use.

richard clark
film | forography | filosophy
aotearoa new zealand

richard clark
film | forography | filosophy
aotearoa new zealand
post #122 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I don't understand your first sentence. An iMac shouldn't be in the equation.

Given the DP in option is the iMac part of the equation now? In 6 years when the i7 is a pokey old chip orphaned from 128bit OSX Kimba the White Lion you can still use the 27" display as a display...
post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Given the DP in option is the iMac part of the equation now? In 6 years when the i7 is a pokey old chip orphaned from 128bit OSX Kimba the White Lion you can still use the 27" display as a display...

You have a point! Yeah (since the iMac even looks like an ACD) you could use it as a display. Good thinking. But would it still work as a monitor connected to another Mac when Kimba goes bye-bye? Maybe it relies on the internal OS to make those pretty pictures.

Now, get Apple to make it matte, and I'll consider it for my next Mac.

No matter what they say about you, Vinea, you're pretty sharp.
ADS
ADS
post #124 of 133
I noticed that when I added a Mac Pro to my cart, its shipping date says 3-5 weeks. Isn't this usually associated with an update? Otherwise, it's about 1-3 days...
post #125 of 133
Quote:
I noticed that when I added a Mac Pro to my cart, its shipping date says 3-5 weeks. Isn't this usually associated with an update? Otherwise, it's about 1-3 days...

Wait until Feb-March.

Or order the iMac/i7 Nehalem.

For £1700 you get quad power and a near 30 inch monitor. ie like buying a 30 inch monitor.

Then in March, get the dual sex(tet) Mac Pro and feed it through your iMac?

Depends on what your budget is, I guess.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #126 of 133
Quote:
Wow. Thats a lot of cores.

It sure it. Double it with hyper-threading's virtual cores.

That's alot of POW-errrrr.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #127 of 133
Im an advanced PC user that is gonna make the switch to Mac (because I am tire of M$) and I am torn between the iMac i7 and the Mac Pro. Since I dont know much about mac's expandability is it possible to just get the Mac Pro and then drop in the new Gulftown when it ships. I am looking for a computer that I can expand like I did with PC's for years in stead of buying a whole new one down the line like I would with the iMac. I am not a Pro user with video which is what I would like to use most (FCP and AE etc.) but buying an all in one is just scary to me and not having control of being able to put in new hardware as I need it. For armature video editing but still editing in HD what is your suggestions.
post #128 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiRTDOG View Post

Im an advanced PC user that is gonna make the switch to Mac (because I am tire of M$) and I am torn between the iMac i7 and the Mac Pro. Since I dont know much about mac's expandability is it possible to just get the Mac Pro and then drop in the new Gulftown when it ships. I am looking for a computer that I can expand like I did with PC's for years in stead of buying a whole new one down the line like I would with the iMac. I am not a Pro user with video which is what I would like to use most (FCP and AE etc.) but buying an all in one is just scary to me and not having control of being able to put in new hardware as I need it. For armature video editing but still editing in HD what is your suggestions.

Well, with the Mac Pro, you pay a lot for it but you get expandability in return. You will be able to upgrade the graphics card, RAM, add up to 4 HDD, 2 optical, upgrade to USB 3, and even add any of those new SSD PCI-Express drives, among other things. You should be able to upgrade the CPU, provided the motherboard is compatible with Gulftown. I don't see why it shouldn't be. In the past the Mac Pro had pretty good luck going from one CPU family to another. But with like any motherboard, CPU compatibility isn't carved in stone.

With the iMac, obviously your upgrade option are limited. RAM is upgradable, and the HDD and optical drive should be upgradable with not too much effort. You can't fit more than one of each drive in the chassis, however. CPU upgrade is pretty unlikely, without a complete mobo replacement. The GPU is on a card (MXM slot, I believe) but those are not available from 3rd party vendors; you would need an Apple branded one and it would be from the grey market.
post #129 of 133
Great info, I think I will go for the Mac Pro, it will take me a little longer to get it but I think in the long run it will pay off. The iMac i7 with is $300 less than the Mac Pro and I think the expandablity is more important. Although the 27" monitor on the iMac is very tempting. Apple displays are so exspensive and I want to replace my 21" CRT that I have had for almost 10 years.
post #130 of 133
Buy a top of the line maxed out Mac Mini. That's a much better deal than a Mac Pro IMO.
post #131 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDSmith2 View Post

Buy a top of the line maxed out Mac Mini. That's a much better deal than a Mac Pro IMO.

I agree. I love my Mini and am thinking of getting another (late model) Mini. However, in a previous post, Vinea just about had me convinced to get an iMac instead of a second Mini. The only stipulation was that it would have to have a matte display. Since it doesn't appear that Apple will field a matte display, It would seem that I WILL get another Mini.
ADS
ADS
post #132 of 133
So I'm getting a Mac Pro sometime soon. I'm anticipating needing around 16 GB of ram and I was wondering something based on this topic. The post says that the new mac pro's could possibly support 8Gb and 16Gb chips (I know there going to be crazy expensive but hopefully somewhat affordable in a couple of years). Is that something that is CPU specific or could a possible firmware update allow current Nehelam processors support those memory sticks?

On a side note, I'm probably getting the 8-core because 4-core with 4Gb memory sticks is more expensive than the 8-core with 8-2Gb sticks.
post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I agree. I love my Mini and am thinking of getting another (late model) Mini. However, in a previous post, Vinea just about had me convinced to get an iMac instead of a second Mini. The only stipulation was that it would have to have a matte display. Since it doesn't appear that Apple will field a matte display, It would seem that I WILL get another Mini.

I'd wait for January...too close to a major event to want to buy any Mac. Doubtful that the mini gets a bump but you never know. If there was an Arrandale mini with dedicated GPU that'd be a big bump. Possible if the iMac lineup when full bore Clarksfield but a real longshot.

Still, that would give Apple the big gap between the mini and the iMac (2 core vs 4 core) it traditionally seems to strive for. I just don't see the iMac lineup going all Claskfield.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors