or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors

Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors - Page 2

post #41 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

And it won't matter what video card you put in it, because it will perform worse than $50 video card in a windows PC.

not so. i have a perfectly good mac pro with a high end card. it works great.
post #42 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Please direct us to the last pro-Apple comment you've had. Or for that matter, please point us to the last thread you haven't mentioned:

a) lack of matte screens on iMac's
b) the heat of the ATV and no on/off switch
c) the iPhone not running more than one app at a time
d) the iPhone not running flash
e) how stupid the LP format is
f) some mention of koolaid, fanbois, juice, etc

The list can go on and on.

you forgot the lack of Blu-Ray on macs
post #43 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Because the average person has been over-supplied with compute resources since before the end of the megahertz races. The vast majority of mini and iMac users wouldn't notice the difference between a dual, quad or hexacore processor.

True. About the only people using Mac Pros are video guys. And of those only a handful are doing anything longer than 1 minute duration pieces. Render time difference between a quad core and an 8 core on a typical 30 second TV spot is a maybe a couple seconds. So a 12 cores maybe will save you 1 or 2 more. People say it is too expensive but they don't need one really. I agree with Quadra, it is just the cost of doing business, the clients pay for it. A Mac Pro can generate several hundred thousand dollars worth of billable deliveries a year if fully utilized. Video guys have as much money invested in attached storage as they do in their computer.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Here's Paul Thurrott Super Site for Windows home page. Good site and normally very good informative writing.

http://www.winsupersite.com/

Sure is!

Mac OS users have made a conscious technology choice and are therefore typically better informed than their peers. -- Paul Thurrott, winsupersite.com, December 06, 2004
post #45 of 133
That's a lot of processing power coming. Apple will certainly use them and with Grand Central Dispatch they have %50 more cores to work with now.

Of course I'd love to have a prosumer midtower and I believe there is demand but Apple's remaining firm on the distinction between the iMac and the Mac Pro.

I'd love to see Gulftown Mac Pro come with a redesigned case. Make it smaller and perhaps they should think about moving to 2.5" drives seeing as how SSD will be becoming more and more prominent in the next 5 years.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #46 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Of course it does.

Keep in mind the Windows trolls are out in force this month, and it'll only get worse as we approach the eve of the Windows 7 release. Remember, MS fans (though how you can be a "fan" of MS I'll never understand) ahve had to cope with over 8 years of lousy operating systems. And beyond that, all they had to keep them going was the Xbox franchise.

There's been a lot of suffering going on since then, not to mention an inferiority complex btought on by Apple's relentless anti-MS marketing that has done a superb job in terms of mindhsare, not to mention a steady stream of game-changing products. Apple has been moving from strength to strength since the Intel switch, while MS has witnessed a steady downward spiral with Ballmer at the helm.

You can have a top-end card in you Mac, but the Windows trolls campng this site will still remind you that you don't.
post #47 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you come on an Apple fansite to constantly provide dissenting opinion at every turn, you're a Windows troll. If you provide dissenting opinion at every turn just for the sake of it, you're even worse.

We have a winner!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #48 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'd love to see Gulftown Mac Pro come with a redesigned case. Make it smaller and perhaps they should think about moving to 2.5" drives seeing as how SSD will be becoming more and more prominent in the next 5 years.

You really only need 1 drive bay for video work because everything big is going to be on external SAN right?

post #49 of 133
Quote:

Sure is!

Mac OS users have made a conscious technology choice and are therefore typically better informed than their peers. -- Paul Thurrott, winsupersite.com, December 06, 2004

That's hilarious! Add to that the XP and Vista fiascos?

Priceless.
post #50 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Works vs performs are not the same things. Perhaps you should do some benchmarks in OS X and Windows on that Mac Pro to see a difference a well optimized video card driver makes to performance.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #51 of 133
Quote:

If you come on an Apple fansite to constantly provide dissenting opinion at every turn, you're a Windows troll. If you provide dissenting opinion at every turn just for the sake of it, you're even worse.

And that means you have no right to free will? God forbid you actually be able to voice your opinions on ways to make Apple and the platform better. But you're right, when have ideas fromt he community ever made Apple a cent. Not like anyone came up with the idea of putting Apps on the iPhone or anything. Please, grow up. Apple's got a good lineup for certain segments, it can be better.
post #52 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

so now the mac pro can start at $3000 with a carp video card

You might be "fishing" for the wrong word.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #53 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Works vs performs are not the same things. Perhaps you should do some benchmarks in OS X and Windows on that Mac Pro to see a difference a well optimized video card driver makes to performance.

The stock video card in my Mac Pro works just fine for displaying the text output by compiling a software project in XCode.

The stock video card in the Mac Pro works just fine for most "pro" tasks (software development, graphic design, audio and video editing, 3D rendering, CAD, scientific simulations, etc). And 3D animators tend to require very specialized video cards (re. not consumer level).

So really, the only task which the Mac Pro video card falls short on is gaming -- but then, there are very few gamers in the world who can call themselves pros (i.e. they earn a living from gaming).

post #54 of 133
Quote:

It's Apple. Why wouldn't I be? And this is an Apple fansite. My question is, why are Windows trolls camping an Apple fansite? Now THAT would be most amusing if it weren't so sad.

One theory is : they're a paid shill for "somebody" so they can spread fud.

Another theory is: they don't know how to find the elusive M$ fansite.

The more popular theory is: Rather than enjoy the wonder of Apple, they would like to "destroy" the experience for others. pathetic, when you stop to think about it.
post #55 of 133
The six-core exclusive is as close to an 'official' Apple leak as one can get.

With the iMacs and Minis set to be bumped within days, Apple needed to ensure their higher end consumers didn't move to the lesser models. So voila, news on the next Mac Pro automagically appears.

And they say Apple hates the Mac rumour mill?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #56 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

One theory is : they're a paid shill for "somebody" so they can spread fud.

Another theory is: they don't know how to find the elusive M$ fansite.

The more popular theory is: Rather than enjoy the wonder of Apple, they would like to "destroy" the experience for others. pathetic, when you stop to think about it.

The wonder of Apple? Did you really type that?

It's a computer company.
post #57 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

The 'Pro' label has been demoted since the 'introduction' (read: rename) of the macbook pro 13".

That being said, I don't deny that the Mac Pro deserves its name, and is one of the most desirable pieces of hardware. For me, it is the quintessential mac (power, quality and design). I agree that if you run a small/medium business (especially in the graphic design field) you have no excuse for not using a Pro.

Time for a 13" Mac Pro.

post #58 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Well, $2699 going with the mandatory $200 increase. But look on the bright side, a laptop based dual core all in one with a 8GB ram ceiling (and only if you want to pay another $1000) is good enough because Apple says so. If you're doing anything beyond iLife, you obviously have an unlimited budget and spending under $5000 is just being cheap.

You know what I think the problem is? We all want the very best for the very least. What it comes down to is choices ... you do your research and make the best choice possible, given our budget constraints. What I don't understand is the constant bitching about not being able to get the impossible from Apple. It should be very simple ... if Apple can't satisfy you ... than walk away, but don't buy Apple and then complain you didn't get what you want ... that serves no purpose.
post #59 of 133
Quote:

Do you have your finger poked in your cheek as you write that?
post #60 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Anyway... back on subject. I'm due an upgrade, but 128 mb of memory? $$$$

It means Apple Mac Pros will no longer be crippled and hold the standard 128GB capacity of typical Intel Server/Workstation boards.

Xeon systems have been ready to run 128GB for several years.
post #61 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nicely put!

I noticed this also in that teckstud is pretty much all about calling everyone "fanbois," judging them, categorising them, etc. but here he criticises people for doing just that.

IMO (and I've been on a lot of these forums or many years), the minute you call someone a "fanboi" in a post, you should go back and erase it and think of a more concrete criticism. It just shows that you don't have an argument when you resort to such name calling. It's juvenile, meaningless, and reflects more on the person using the term than it does on whomever they are accusing.

It's like saying "I don't actually have an argument, so I'm just going to assume that you are biased."

There are valid, logical reasons for liking or preferring one product over another, or one companies products over another. Just because someone is always or mostly in favour of a product or company doesn't necessarily mean there is any bias involved.

Ending an argument, (or trying to), by saying "oh well, your just a fanboi anyway" is just so childishly dumb (and lame). While most of us use may that term in extreme cases, IMO it's always a mistake. If that's all someone has for an argument, they just don't have one.

I've never used the term "fanboi"- fanbot maybe, but never fanboi- much too elementary.

At least I don't write these long whiney diatribes like you do. Eeeewwwww.
post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Please direct us to the last pro-Apple comment you've had. Or for that matter, please point us to the last thread you haven't mentioned:

a) lack of matte screens on iMac's
b) the heat of the ATV and no on/off switch
c) the iPhone not running more than one app at a time
d) the iPhone not running flash
e) how stupid the LP format is
f) some mention of koolaid, fanbois, juice, etc

The list can go on and on.

Why wouldn''t I mention the first five? I don't need to direct you anywhere - you only remember what you've written anyway. Never used the term fanboi- sorry.
post #63 of 133
Quote:

That's Gig not meg.
post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocknerd View Post

I need to replace my aging PowerPC Dual 2.0ghz G5. But I see nothing from Apple to replace it with. An iMac is a downgrade even if it is faster. But I can't justify spending $4k on a Mac Pro. Come on Apple. I'd be happy with the Mac Pro with the single processor, but leave it to Apple to cripple it with the lack of memory slots.

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but specifically what specs in an Imac make it a "downgrade"? Is it just you don't like the all in one form factor?
post #65 of 133
Quote:

I need to replace my aging PowerPC Dual 2.0ghz G5. But I see nothing from Apple to replace it with. An iMac is a downgrade even if it is faster. But I can't justify spending $4k on a Mac Pro. Come on Apple. I'd be happy with the Mac Pro with the single processor, but leave it to Apple to cripple it with the lack of memory slots.

The iMac is going to turn into a "nettop", just like the MacBook Airs. Nothing to the thing. Very portable. Buy any thing else extra for more money, external dvd, etc.. Forget Blueray, it's too expensive and Sony will protect it's media and computer arms. You want it?, buy third party and can't play movies from Walmart.

The business with Nvida, Intel integrated graphics, Apple's fondness for thinness, green fling, economy etc all points to cheap, labor reduced, nearly nothing consumer computers with cheap glare prone screens. (spaying a anti-reflection film is cheaper than applying a matte screen for LCD makers)

Apple will put on it's fancy tag, and people will pay or flock to Windows 7's netbooks.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #66 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And if you can't think for yourself and need to classify people trolls by various degrees just because they might disagree with something, anything Apple than what are you? No one on are here constantly does what you accuse them of- THAT'S only coming from your own warped fanbot imagination.

TeckDud ... go back over your posting history .... "some" people do have over an 80% complain rate ... that, to me, represents either a lack of imagination, or the willingness to be described as a troll .... your call.
post #67 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDecker View Post

Just because you don't demand one, doesn't mean there is no demand at all. A mid-level tower is likely the MOST questioned absence in Apple's lineup. I would love a Mac Pro, but they are pricey. I love my 2006 vintage 24" iMac, but I'd love to be able to upgrade it even more. Mid-level tower with maybe 3 slots and 2 HD sleds would be the shiznit. Look beyond the nose on your face. The world is larger than what you seem to perceive.

The thing is, there is no question of a demand for a mid range tower ... but how big a demand? I'm sure that Apple have considered all options in deciding what market to pursue. They have already said, many times, they are not trying to be everything to everybody. Their success story is good enough for me to give them the benefit of the doubt in making sound business decisions. Are they going to be right all the time ... no, but no one bats 1000.
post #68 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Thurrott is the ultimate MS supporter and not that kind to Apple or Mac OS X since that quote.....

And this is news, why?
post #69 of 133
Quote:

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but specifically what specs in an Imac make it a "downgrade"? Is it just you don't like the all in one form factor?

Never had a Mac Pro huh?

A iMac is a serious downgrade from that bad boy, believe me.

1: You can replace the hard drives for faster and bigger ones. The machine is open for you to do what you need to do and Apple even sends you new drives if your factory one dies for self-install.

2: You can RAID 0 your boot drive with the fastest drives available, making applications boot nearly instantly on screen. Boot times in under 20 seconds.

3: You have access to faster drive interfaces. Install more or faster RAM. Third party cards and toys.

4: You can upgrade the video card for more performance or add more.

5: Want a larger monitor? Matte screen? No problem. Want a half dozen 30" monitors? No problem.

6: You want to edit HD video in real time, render 3D, ray trace etc. No problem.

A Mac Pro is a dream machine for the general consumer geek, I had one, spent nearly $15,000 in machine, upgrades and software over the years, but used it mostly to 3D game (two at once on my PPC dual 2) Unnecessary now with the cheaper PS3 and loads of titles and online players.

It's going to be tough goings with future third party and specialized upgrades for Mac Pro's, the demand for that sort of machine is falling in the consumer market because of cheaper consoles, then the economy naturally... pro's will be paying a lot more.
post #70 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yeah I like his site for some of his info on Windows stuff.
He has some very good info for Windows.

Yea, and what I like is he's not biased, hardly at all, really, no, I mean it.
post #71 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The wonder of Apple? Did you really type that?

It's a computer company.

Yes, and they make wonderful computers.
post #72 of 133
So basically, the next Mac Pro will have dual six-core, and hold more memory.

For the average Pro, what kind of speed improvements over the current gen are we talking about?

10%?
post #73 of 133
Quote:

Do you have your finger poked in your cheek as you write that?

You suck your thumb, I poke my cheek ... nearly the same.
post #74 of 133
Quote:

I've never used the term "fanboi"- fanbot maybe, but never fanboi- much too elementary.

At least I don't write these long whiney diatribes like you do. Eeeewwwww.

If you knew more words, you might.
post #75 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Never had a Mac Pro huh?

A iMac is a serious downgrade from that bad boy, believe me.

1: You can replace the hard drives for faster and bigger ones. The machine is open for you to do what you need to do and Apple even sends you new drives if your factory one dies for self-install.

2: You can RAID 0 your boot drive with the fastest drives available, making applications boot nearly instantly on screen. Boot times in under 20 seconds.

3: You have access to faster drive interfaces. Install more or faster RAM. Third party cards and toys.

4: You can upgrade the video card for more performance or add more.

5: Want a larger monitor? Matte screen? No problem. Want a half dozen 30" monitors? No problem.

6: You want to edit HD video in real time, render 3D, ray trace etc. No problem.

A Mac Pro is a dream machine for the general consumer geek, I had one, spent nearly $15,000 in machine, upgrades and software over the years, but used it mostly to 3D game (two at once on my PPC dual 2) Unnecessary now with the cheaper PS3 and loads of titles and online players.

It's going to be tough goings with future third party and specialized upgrades for Mac Pro's, the demand for that sort of machine is falling in the consumer market because of cheaper consoles, then the economy naturally... pro's will be paying a lot more.

It's true , I can't do all of that on my 24" iMac. Having said that, I am going to upgrade HD from original 250GB to 1500 GB, not doing it myself mind you. I envy your ability to spend 15,000.00 on computing power, even if it's mainly to play games (not a gamer myself, other than a very few). I have "lusted" over the mac pro since its intro ... just can't justify the cost, for me at least. The iMac is a great "second choice" tho. Good luck in your future purchase.
post #76 of 133
With the Mac Pro so far beyond the average users needs, the desktop field shows up even more distinctly as the Mini and the iMac. One minimal computer and the other an AIO, neither really serviceable, and neither what a lot of desktop users need or want. How can anyone deny that Apple has zero consideration for Apple users who want a real choice? I'm not suggesting that isn't Apple's right or that it is its obligation, but even so, how does Apple expect users to be 'faithful' when it isn't faithful to its users? I keep repeating, ad nauseam, that SJ holds the club of OS X over our heads, and with it, ensures that we'll buy whatever he wants us to buy.

Some AI member said he hoped that Psystar would win the court case. I wouldn't go that far because I don't think this situation is really about hardware. I hope that someday someone will build a Unix OS to go head to head with OS X. I think Apple would trip all over themselves fielding computers that users want. Right now, Apple holds all the (OS) cards. Now don't tell me to buy a PC if I don't like Apple's output. That OS X club is over my head, also
Too bad Linux doesn't live up to its potential.
ADS
ADS
post #77 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

With the Mac Pro so far beyond the average users needs, the desktop field shows up even more distinctly as the Mini and the iMac. One minimal computer and the other an AIO, neither really serviceable, and neither what a lot of desktop users need or want. How can anyone deny that Apple has zero consideration for Apple users who want a real choice?

So basically, you want a cheap computer that you can throw whatever bargain basement hardware you can find into, and also be able to take it in to an Apple Store for service when one of those cheap components causes problems?

That's the real problem here. If you let people modify a computer which has a great warranty/service plan, then inevitably, you're going to get a lot more people using that service plan due to their own negligence and/or the shoddy 3rd party components they install. Thus, it costs much more money to support that computer in the long run and so it's impossible to sell that computer at a low cost and still give the same level of service.

For PCs it's not a big deal because most PC service plans suck compared to Apple's (scripted ESL phone service reps and long RMAs anyone?). And I'm sure most will tell you where to go if you've installed any components yourself (aside from maybe RAM).

And with the Mac Pro, it's not as big a problem because:
  • There is a larger profit margin on it and so you can afford to provide that level of service
  • It's generally being used by people for whom the savings of buying cheap components is largely outweighed by the loss of productivity if/when those components fail (i.e. people purchasing computers for business). So they'll tend to opt for higher quality, Apple-certified components installed by a professional whom they can go back to if something fails.
As for general consumers, contrary to what you think, computer owners who install/replace components themselves are not in the majority. Computers are a lot like cars for most people: you buy one, and if something goes wrong, you take it to the dealer (if you're under warranty) or the repair shop (if you're not and you can't afford qualified service). You use it for a few years (a few more years for cars than computers) and then eventually you sell it or recycle it (based on it's condition/value) and buy a new one. That's the extent of your involvement with it.

You wouldn't expect a car company to build a cheap car which supports easy owner-serviceability and provide a long warranty which covers that car for free service no matter what the owner does to the car. That car manufacturer would soon be out of business due to the high cost of honoring those warranties. The same goes for computers.

post #78 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

So basically, you want a cheap computer that you can throw whatever bargain basement hardware you can find into, and also be able to take it in to an Apple Store for service when one of those cheap components causes problems?

That's the real problem here. If you let people modify a computer which has a great warranty/service plan, then inevitably, you're going to get a lot more people using that service plan due to their own negligence and/or the shoddy 3rd party components they install. Thus, it costs much more money to support that computer in the long run and so it's impossible to sell that computer at a low cost and still give the same level of service.

For PCs it's not a big deal because most PC service plans suck compared to Apple's (scripted ESL phone service reps and long RMAs anyone?). And I'm sure most will tell you where to go if you've installed any components yourself (aside from maybe RAM).

And with the Mac Pro, it's not as big a problem because:
  • There is a larger profit margin on it and so you can afford to provide that level of service
  • It's generally being used by people for whom the savings of buying cheap components is largely outweighed by the loss of productivity if/when those components fail (i.e. people purchasing computers for business). So they'll tend to opt for higher quality, Apple-certified components installed by a professional whom they can go back to if something fails.
As for general consumers, contrary to what you think, computer owners who install/replace components themselves are not in the majority. Computers are a lot like cars for most people: you buy one, and if something goes wrong, you take it to the dealer (if you're under warranty) or the repair shop (if you're not and you can't afford qualified service). You use it for a few years (a few more years for cars than computers) and then eventually you sell it or recycle it (based on it's condition/value) and buy a new one. That's the extent of your involvement with it.

You wouldn't expect a car company to build a cheap car which supports easy owner-serviceability and provide a long warranty which covers that car for free service no matter what the owner does to the car. That car manufacturer would soon be out of business due to the high cost of honoring those warranties. The same goes for computers.

Yup the best option is to be a sheep noob hipster, buy overpriced slow computers with yesterday's components and NEVER expect to be able to upgrade the hardware of your computer if the master "Apple" thinks you dont need it! Also if you need more storage, use the built in "iDelete" feature to free up Hard drive space! Sounds like a perfect plan!
post #79 of 133
Quote:

It's hardly meant for general home use, hence the "Pro" label.

If you're a "Pro" you wouldn't be paying for it out of pocket. In most cases it can also be written off, too, if you can demonstrate it's for work/business/home-as-regular-business-establishment use.

"Pro" has been a watered down term and means little these days. Apple is better than most, but still.

Quote:

I can't store a bit with 128 millibit storage.

Quote:

Isn't it still four slots? 4GB in each slot would give you 16GB total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisManuel View Post

Blu-ray uses H.264 or MPEG2 for compression. Both CODECs have been supported in FCP and Compressor for a long time. What's missing is any ability to author Blu-Ray compatible discs (add menuing or any other value-added feature) from Apple's "pro" apps. Of course Apple responds with the statement that Blu-ray isn't a finalized standard so they are going to wait to support it when it's final. It's enough of a standard that Blockbuster rents and sells the discs but maybe that isn't mass market enough for the iPhone company.

I don't recall Apple saying Blu-Ray isn't a finalized format. For a while, it wasn't, but 2.0 has been standard for a year now. 1.0 gave me what I wanted anyway, the movie in HD.

What happened to VC1 anyway? I don't expect Apple to support it, but it seems to be an ignored CODEC now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It means Apple Mac Pros will no longer be crippled and hold the standard 128GB capacity of typical Intel Server/Workstation boards.

Xeon systems have been ready to run 128GB for several years.

In order to compare in the same way, you do need the same number of slots, because the other makers will probably still offer the more slots than Apple and offer the same memory per slot as Apple does, unless there is some odd limitation in the number of ranks of memory. I didn't notice a line that said that Apple was adding slots. But that's a lot of memory. A two 6 core processor system and 128GB of memory is a pretty impressive machine. It makes me wish I could do something that justifies that.
post #80 of 133
Wow, for just a second there, I thought it said the new Mac Book Pro.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next Mac Pro may sport six-core processors