or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch

Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch - Page 5

post #161 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Sorry. Nobody is going to "get it" anything from reading your posts.

Look, Windows 7 is a good product. It's better than Vista, and it's better than XP. But making blanket statements that IT is going to rush to 7.. together with masses of consumers, is just irrational. Ordinary consumers just don't care. Most windows users NEVER upgrade their OS. They buy a new machine, and we are still in the middle of a recession. They will buy a new machine when they can afford it.

As for IT... well they will test... and test some more... and there will be a slow migration to "the next Windows OS". These people are Microsoft customers. What they do, and when they do it, has very little effect on Apple.

Again... no-one cares. And no-one cares about your past 'experience' and career. You might believe that you are some kind of expert but your emotional tirades and poorly constructed posts suggest otherwise.

"10,000 times larger" is just...more stupid! The whole Windows PC market (ALL OF IT!) is just 26 times larger than the Mac market. In the US... only 10 times larger. Get a grip!

Nothing to do with Windows 7. Nothing! It's not even a real product. There were a few pack shots and a demo video. Even those were not 'real'. 3D renderings of a proposed piece of vapour hardware (that replaces a Filofax!) means nothing.

You want to make a point? Stop being stupid.

So what? Windows, of one flavour or another, is already on 95% of the world's computers. Windows 7 is an opportunity for Microsoft to put the Vista debacle behind them and make up some of the income that they 'lost'. That's about it.

Well stated.
post #162 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Convincing corporate that they need 7, though, is not likely. That is where it matters for MS. You can add all of the functionality of OS X into 7, but it's only going to hit home with that market--the home consumer market. Not a single corporate IT department gives a damn about Aero or a shiny start button. They do care about their budget and upgrading thousands of PC hardware, though. Also,the list of client specific software that runs on XP and will break on 7 is unimaginable. Yeah XP emulator, blah blah. Convince IT they have to do it, otherwise 7 is another fail.

Are you kidding? The security advantages of 7 over XP will get most major IT departments to shift as soon as feasible because the big guys are usually the targets because their networks have stuff of value.
post #163 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Are you kidding? The security advantages of 7 over XP will get most major IT departments to shift as soon as feasible because the big guys are usually the targets because their networks have stuff of value.

If by "feasible" you mean when their client specific, custom applications will run on Windows 7, and it is in the budget to upgrade most of their hardware, then I agree.
And, no, I wasn't kidding. If I were, I'd have ended the post with something like"I was kidding", or "...but seriously."
post #164 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

You go bumbling on about upgrade paths for XP users between 2001-2006. You then "compare" this situation with Mac users who have "no upgrade path".

I then point out all the possible upgrade paths for Mac users between 2001-2006 and some of the features added to their machines by these upgrades.

Anyone who brought a Mac between 2001-2006 would have multiple opportunities to do a full system updates. So update paths were provided. There were options to upgrade. So Macs don't fail compared to PC.

Moreover Macs purchased in the time frame you define have been provided with many features to which XP users still don't have access. Mac users have been able to use those features happily for many years. Now the single feasible upgrade path Microsoft has provided to many XP users has arrived (in the form of Windows 7 ), we should forget all this?

You can't define this particular debate by the criteria and talking points you carefully select and then lambast someone else for pointing out the obvious.

And then say I should stick to the topic.

And then say I should stop taking "cheap shots".

phil shiller, of Apple, mocks the XP -> Windows 7 migration for users who bought a windows computer from 2001-2005 and want to upgrade to the present day operating system.

For that same time period, does Apple have a migration option for users who bought a mac in 2001-2005 to their present day operating system, snow leopard?

The answer....'no'.
post #165 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by experiencemusic View Post

phil shiller, of Apple, mocks the XP -> Windows 7 migration for users who bought a windows computer from 2001-2005 and want to upgrade to the present day operating system.

For that same time period, does Apple have a migration option for users who bought a mac in 2001-2005 to their present day operating system, snow leopard?

The answer....'no'.

Assuming you purchased a Windows box in that time frame, you would need to buy new hardware to run Windows Vista or Windows 7. Also, if you bought a PPC based Mac, you would need to buy a new Mac. The upgrade path for OS X is to either swap your old hard drive into the new Mac (not cool) and upgrade, use ethernet, or firewire to transfer your settings and applications to Snow Leopard. Windows requires a total wipe and reinstall of everything. The upgrade path is in fact there, and easier, on OS X.
post #166 of 166
I do quite a bit of replys on the iPhone so pardon me if I have to turn off click noises, due to lag, thus resulting in seemingly poorly, phrased grammar. As to my experience, I have been right nearly all the time and can remember the days of those in hear saying Apple will never use intel. In fact it was I that started turning people on to sites such as the inquierer UK once owned by a close friend Mike Magee.

"...Todays news has been dominated by Windows 7 related articles, the software has proven to be so successful that according to Amazon Windows 7 was the “biggest grossing pre-order product of all time”.
Prior to this two of the biggest grossing products were the Nintendo Wii and also Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, also according to a spokes-person for DSGi (who own PC World, Currys and Dixons) they “have sold more copies of Windows 7 in three weeks on pre-order than Vista sold in its first year.”
As with many large releases queues formed outside many stores across the world, one area which makes the upgrade awkward is for netbook owners, this is due to the fact that a lot of netbooks do not have optical drives, it is thought that many retailers will be stocking up on USB optical drives for this purpose...."

And instill belive Apple hold out on Prosumer devices simply for greed yet their marketing is so backwards, they don't seem to understand they would sell more not less devices. Who knows, perhaps the so not have the tooling to meet such a demand but when a comany such as Apple goes after the 3rd gen MacBook due to it scoring 171 points in OpenGL up from 70% and people are running motion on it yet you still couldn't play games, and releases a 4th gen that killed that GPU bringing it down to 70% again, that is pure greed. Then they release a better GPU but not FireWire. With Apple, as great as they are, there is always a gotcha unless you spend top dollar.

With regard to windows 7 sales, that's all without IT and yet here you are saying the courier has nothing to do with windows, yet suddendly, Apple slashes there prices and there is all this talk of an Apple tablet. Are you a fanboy as in Jobs can do no wrong???
And that's without the major I.T. firms upgrading from XP which we all know will happen.

This is the kind of success I want to see as well as things like the COURIER, especially if it's a MSFT device as this would me 100% control over the machine, the same as Apple which all translates to better devices for us, the consumer, the ProSumer, and the Pro.

I really think Apple ought to rethink it's strategy regarding CONSUMER and PRO devices.
Sure the new iMac has QUAD core, but still, it lacks express slots used by many musicians to plug in cards that take a load off the CPU and gives them a LOT of REVERB, COMPRESSION, and so on, as all the power is on the card. Or you could use an eSata card to boot a iMAC to RAID, better yet would be to have express slots and eSata outputs.

Is the Windows success that I hope someday drives Apple to deliver a MID RANGE HEADLESS mini tower, 4/8 cores and can see that happening when the Mac Pro goes to 16 cores.
I mean, c'mon Apple, gamers alone out sell video and music sales combined and Avid saw that writing on the wall and saw that their Pro Tools TDM machines were no longer selling so they purchased MAudio and now are making a killing in the PRO SUMER MARKETS.

Apple needs to realize, they will make MORE money, not LESS, people will still by Mac Pros but then instead of buying PC servers like I've seen as the price to performance is better, they would buy these newer APPLE MACHINES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Sorry. Nobody is going to "get it" anything from reading your posts.

Look, Windows 7 is a good product. It's better than Vista, and it's better than XP. But making blanket statements that IT is going to rush to 7.. together with masses of consumers, is just irrational. Ordinary consumers just don't care. Most windows users NEVER upgrade their OS. They buy a new machine, and we are still in the middle of a recession. They will buy a new machine when they can afford it.

As for IT... well they will test... and test some more... and there will be a slow migration to "the next Windows OS". These people are Microsoft customers. What they do, and when they do it, has very little effect on Apple.

Again... no-one cares. And no-one cares about your past 'experience' and career. You might believe that you are some kind of expert but your emotional tirades and poorly constructed posts suggest otherwise.

"10,000 times larger" is just...more stupid! The whole Windows PC market (ALL OF IT!) is just 26 times larger than the Mac market. In the US... only 10 times larger. Get a grip!

Nothing to do with Windows 7. Nothing! It's not even a real product. There were a few pack shots and a demo video. Even those were not 'real'. 3D renderings of a proposed piece of vapour hardware (that replaces a Filofax!) means nothing.

You want to make a point? Stop being stupid.

So what? Windows, of one flavour or another, is already on 95% of the world's computers. Windows 7 is an opportunity for Microsoft to put the Vista debacle behind them and make up some of the income that they 'lost'. That's about it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch