or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch - Page 2

post #41 of 166
I have used and played with almost every Windows OS since 3.1 and i wouldnt touch Vista with Bill Gates fingers its the worst one other then ME what a POS that was. lol.... But I have used Win 7 build 7600 it is on an XP PC with Dual Boot and do like the stability of it, my laptop still runs XP, and from what ive read upgrading from Vista to 7 is more of a pain in the A$$ then XP to 7... My Wife uses MAC and also uses a PC from time to time. Ive played around on her Macbook and like the way it runs also. At work im on Vista but not by choice %). Im waiting on 7 for a new laptop as most of my programs I use are windows based, I dont want one with Vista on it first either, i would rather get one with 7 from the start... For people with XP upgrading i would recommend doing a Dual Boot if you can, then if you have programs that wont work on 7 you can boot up with XP.
post #42 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Almost no Windows user upgrades. They buy hardware based on price and use whatever version of Windows that it comes with, until it's time to buy a new computer. The upgrade process is irrelevant.

What about their data, applications, application updates, settings, etc.?

According to posts on a prior thread, the above is very tedious.


*
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #43 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Slam-dunk.

Slam- dunking a posting that's been proven false? Now that's a first.
post #44 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

The sub headline says it's the best Windows version yet. Do you agree with that rave?

"best windows version yet" is NOT a rave. I'm sure that the latest iRiver MP3 player is the best iRiver yet, but that doesn't mean it's a great product! Moss used phrases like: worthy...unexciting...also available on Mac...prettier but pretty much works the same as XP...

I've used Vista, and those are pretty much the words I'D use to to describe it. Shiny, a bit better than XP, but not great. A hassle with all of the versions and upgrade requirements. Certainly not on par with Leopard. I'll keep an open mind for Windows 7 though - I've heard mostly positive things.
post #45 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


... XP owners go through an arduous process to upgrade to Windows 7 -- one that includes backing up all their files to an external drive, reformatting their PC, and then reinstalling all of their old programs, assuming they still have the CDs...

M$ cannot be serious! This is an error surely in reporting? Why wouldn't M$ deliver a 'click to instal and come back later' DVD? These are PC users they are selling to for cripe's sake! I have met precious few PC users that know how to attach an external drive let alone go through this. Plus given many have never bought a Windows OS or an application in their life they will only have the 'Restore, disks that came with their PCs. This will be chaos.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #46 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

"Windows 7 has earned rave reviews from some, including known Apple advocate Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal."

Uh, huh. Right. Let's all not forget that Uncle Walt ALSO--ALSO!--raved about Vista! And how did THAT work out for him and the Journal? Credibility gap, anyone?

Vista is actually not bad at all. It runs great on my Mac
post #47 of 166
Windows sucked in all versions.
With windows 7 release, nothing will be changed. Mac rules.....
post #48 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

and new iMacs, Mac Minis, Mac Pros and MacBooks on the market.

Or are they never going to release them?

Yeah, I had not thought about why they have not released anything yet.
They held off so they could steal the thunder (squeaky noises?) from the Windows 7 launch.
Drop a bunch of new systems (with the new OS) on Tuesday, 20 October and the 22 October Windows 7 will be a small blip.
post #49 of 166
I am surprised M$ hasn't offered all legit purchasers of Vista a $29.95 update to 7 as an apology and also a reply at Snow Leopard's pricing. It would seem both fair and a smart move to me. Not that i want to do or say anything to help M$, so please ignore this suggestion M$ snoops.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #50 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The only marketing blitz Apple needs is to release new iMacs, Mac Minis, and Macbooks at lower price points just before the Windows 7 grand release along with commercials saying so (i.e. "Now more affordable.").

There is something else they could do. We know that the 'below the hood' benefits of Snow Leopard are a bit arcane for the wider consumer market, but one key differentiation between the Apple and Windows OS offerings is the iLife suite. iLife 10 ladies and gentlemen, completely re-written to take full advantage of GCD and OpenCL. It would make a helluva demo for his Jobsness, and would be a killer selling point for the commercials.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #51 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Meanwhile I still can't print since installing SL.
I know , I know it's Epson's fault.

New Epson drivers for SL came out a few days ago. No luck with those?
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #52 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

New Epson drivers for SL came out a few days ago. No luck with those?

Wow- thanks. I gave up on trying.
post #53 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

"best windows version yet" is NOT a rave. I'm sure that the latest iRiver MP3 player is the best iRiver yet, but that doesn't mean it's a great product! Moss used phrases like: worthy...unexciting...also available on Mac...prettier but pretty much works the same as XP...

I've used Vista, and those are pretty much the words I'D use to to describe it. Shiny, a bit better than XP, but not great. A hassle with all of the versions and upgrade requirements. Certainly not on par with Leopard. I'll keep an open mind for Windows 7 though - I've heard mostly positive things.

semantics.... It wasn't the best windows ever and it has proven that. The fact that Walt agrees now shows his credibility.
post #54 of 166
Could the fact that iPod and iPhone work better with the Macintosh be something to do with the fact that iTunes for Windows almost universally loathed?
post #55 of 166
BTW how was the update experience from Mac OS 9 to OS X? Or the update experience from a PowerPC Mac with Tiger to Snow Leopard? And what about the guest account issue after updates from Leopard to the snow cat?

Come on! That's cheap. Did nobody heard of "Windows Easy Transfer"? It's really easy. There are also cables you can buy: plug in your XP PC on one end and your Windows 7 PC on the other. Oh and logging in to the guest account wouldn't kill your data.

Instead of playing cheap against Microsoft they should start and listen to their customers and fix the recent flaws.
post #56 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am surprised M$ hasn't offered all legit purchasers of Vista a $29.95 update to 7 as an apology and also a reply at Snow Leopard's pricing. It would seem both fair and a smart move to me. Not that i want to do or say anything to help M$, so please ignore this suggestion M$ snoops.

Please tell me why? Vista did work from day one. Nobody really can tell the "issues" with Vista. Name one, please! (If you wanne say it's not fast enough on Netbooks, that's not true anymore and please show me the Netbook Mac)
post #57 of 166
Windows 7 does look pretty impressive. It better anyway.... Microsoft always takes 2 versions to get something right anyway...

DOS 2.x sucked -> DOZ 3.3 good
DOS 4.0 sucked -> DOS 5.0 good
Windows 2.0/3.0 sucked -> Windows 3.1 good
Windows NT 3.0 sucked -> NT 4.0 good
Windows 2000 sucked -> Windows 2003 good
Windows 95 actually pretty good -> Windows 98 much better
Windows ME horrible -> Windows XP good-ish ( not until SP1 )
Windows Vista sucked -> Windows 7 good?

Remains to be seen I guess
post #58 of 166
one word: Registry
post #59 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This is recommended for any OS upgrade - going from Tiger to Snow Leopard, it is recommended to do the same thing.

This is not the same as people going from Windows XP to Windows 7. Apple released Leopard and it was and is a good OS compared to Windows Vista. Apple made some changes under the hood and release the update to the OS as snow Leopard.

Windows Vista is vastly different from XP and no one really wanted it compared to people upgrading from Tiger to Leopard.

If you have Mac OS X (10.5.8) and you want to go to Mac OS X (10.6) then the process is simple and plain less. On the other side of the fence People going from XP to 7. because Vista was such a flop.

A fellow worker at my job is one of those who is having a Windows 7 home party. It took him over 2 hours to install Windows 7. That was after he had to go through a bunch of hoops just to get his computer ready for Windows 7.

If you ask me, Apple should have lambasted Windows a long time ago! If they actually do this lambasting Windows 7 and do it good then maybe people will open their eyes.

When you look at the Price of a Mac and that is all you are looking at of course you are going to be put off! However, if after all those upgrades on a PC trying to be more Mac like from Windows 3.1 - Windows 7 You could have had several Mac's "the real thing."

I will agree I personally like Windows 7 so far. I use it under Fusion and it is good. To me I look at this way... Its about Time Microsoft cleaned up Windows and did it better. However, you ask me the same question and I will tell you a little too late.

Apple is poised to gain market share and are given the opportunity to show it. If they fail, its no one else fault. However, keep in mind if Apple really wanted to blow Microsoft away... They could!
post #60 of 166
I think it's funny how Walt says the same thing for Vista and Windows 7:

"I believe it is the best version of Windows Microsoft (MSFT) has produced."

Obviously, some of his material is recycled on his articles to give it some spiff. hehe
post #61 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I think it's funny how Walt says the same thing for Vista and Windows 7:

"I believe it is the best version of Windows Microsoft (MSFT) has produced."

Obviously, some of his material is recycled on his articles to give it some spiff. hehe

Maybe what he should have said was Best Windows YET! LOL
post #62 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Almost no Windows user upgrades. They buy hardware based on price and use whatever version of Windows that it comes with, until it's time to buy a new computer. The upgrade process is irrelevant.

what happens with small -medium business owners that bought new computers but took option to use Windows XP professional and not go with Vista?? I am one of those people, who do not need to upgrade my computer since it is nicely specced for Windows 7, but I am still using Windows XP Professional.

Is there difference between professional to Win 7 and XP to Win 7?
post #63 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- thanks. I gave up on trying.

Try putting your updates on auto mode
post #64 of 166
Quote:
"Any user that reads all those steps is probably going to freak out," Schiller said. "If you have to go through all that, why not just buy a Mac?"

Makes perfect sense. Instead of following a few steps why not go out and spend $1000+ on a mac. But, most PC users don't look to far into the Windows OS anyway. I think someone already said it that PC users by their PC based on price more than anything and will take whatever Windows that comes with it. Even when Win7 is released, people aren't going to be running out and buying new hardware. It may make them consider upgrading but I doubt there will be a mass exodus to Win7.
post #65 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


Perhaps it will do Apple a lot of good to lose for awhile.

i guess the entire final decade of the last century wasn't enough "losing" for them. For all their recent success, Apple still has lots more to come, trust me.

Quote:
Get their focus off supporting the Washington socialists who one day will just decide to take over their business in the name of the people.

hah, so true.
post #66 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Almost no Windows user upgrades. They buy hardware based on price and use whatever version of Windows that it comes with, until it's time to buy a new computer. The upgrade process is irrelevant.

This is a very generalized statement and is laughable. There are legions of Windows users such as gamers, IT professionals, or those who just like to build their own computer (like myself) who maintain their machine through hardware upgrades. When a new version of Windows is released, they simply upgrade the OS. Hard to imagine in your sheltered Mac cave, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have met precious few PC users that know how to attach an external drive let alone go through this.

And I have Mac-using friends who (before coming to me) couldn't even figure out how to simply burn a disc with their fancy Mac (and I don't own a Mac, nor am I familiar with my way around OS X that well). So, you're point is?
post #67 of 166
I predict Apple will lose a little marketshare this holiday quarter as a rush of new machines with Win7 will be bought, including those crappy netbooks now running Win7.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #68 of 166
Of course Apple is, they have been riding Microsoft shirt tail from the very beginning. Apple has got to be the slimiest company ever, I wonder if they will mention the fact that Snow Leopard upgrades take forever, or the fact that Snow Leopard is deleting user data, or the fact that OSX really does get viruses unlike the fud they spread, or all the compatibility issues Snow Leopard has been having, or the fact that Snow Leopard is dog slow compared the Windows 7. This is the reason Apple will always come in last place in the OS war they started... Windows is just a better OS.
post #69 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh LC View Post

This is not the same as people going from Windows XP to Windows 7. Apple released Leopard and it was and is a good OS compared to Windows Vista. Apple made some changes under the hood and release the update to the OS as snow Leopard.

Windows Vista is vastly different from XP and no one really wanted it compared to people upgrading from Tiger to Leopard.

If you have Mac OS X (10.5.8) and you want to go to Mac OS X (10.6) then the process is simple and plain less. On the other side of the fence People going from XP to 7. because Vista was such a flop.

A fellow worker at my job is one of those who is having a Windows 7 home party. It took him over 2 hours to install Windows 7. That was after he had to go through a bunch of hoops just to get his computer ready for Windows 7.

If you ask me, Apple should have lambasted Windows a long time ago! If they actually do this lambasting Windows 7 and do it good then maybe people will open their eyes.

When you look at the Price of a Mac and that is all you are looking at of course you are going to be put off! However, if after all those upgrades on a PC trying to be more Mac like from Windows 3.1 - Windows 7 You could have had several Mac's "the real thing."

I will agree I personally like Windows 7 so far. I use it under Fusion and it is good. To me I look at this way... Its about Time Microsoft cleaned up Windows and did it better. However, you ask me the same question and I will tell you a little too late.

Apple is poised to gain market share and are given the opportunity to show it. If they fail, its no one else fault. However, keep in mind if Apple really wanted to blow Microsoft away... They could!

Yeah... any day now, Apple will just blow Windows Away! lol Were still waiting for that day. Maybe Apple can muster 10% market share any day now! lol
post #70 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

or the fact that OSX really does get viruses

It does? Care to point to something?
Can it happen? Yes.
Has it happened outside a lab/controlled test? Likely not.
Does it happen to more than a few extremely isolated cases? No.
Quote:
Yeah... any day now, Apple will just blow Windows Away! lol Were still waiting for that day.

That day was here, years (decades?) ago.
Quote:
Maybe Apple can muster 10% market share any day now

90% of people will happily accept mediocrity.

moo
post #71 of 166
Introducing "iDelete"

Never worry about storage again! Click upgrade and Snow Leopard will take care of the rest. No user input necessary. Your HDD formatted like day one; It just works

Imagine That!
post #72 of 166
Wow, the trolls are out in force today.
post #73 of 166
What you bet Apple is holding out the release of its new hardware till the same week as W7? Meanwhile it is likely stocking its stores and depots with the goods for immediate sale on the release date. The upgrade path is so yuck from XP and XP is what most people will be upgrading from that even MS expects most people to simply buy a new computer with W7 preinstalled.

So that would be why Apple's new stuff is all in the bottom-end and with lower prices - entry level iMac, MB and Mini. They're gunning for the upper end of the low price market with the idea that since you have to buy a new computer why not avoid Windows and buy a Mac. SL is already up and running and W7 still has to face the real world and by the time you pay for virus protection and various other bits and pieces, you are going to find the Mac as cheap if not cheaper.

All the PC manufacturers will be intro-ing new models for the W7 release, so Apple is waiting till the same time, or just before (i.e. Oct 20) as it still always likes to be first.
post #74 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Stop dragging this out as it is NOT true. He said it was the best windows product yet - but he did not rave about it. Far from it. He called it uninteresting - not quite a rave.

Now the Windows 7 review is actually quite different. He actually says it has caught up in many ways with OSX and indeed in some cases (not all) surpasses it.

This is good news people - Apple needs to be pushed.

From the above referenced article.

Quote:
Gradually, all Windows computers will be Vista computers, and thats a good thing, if only for security reasons. But you may want to keep your older Windows XP box around awhile longer, until you can afford new hardware that can handle Vista.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #75 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Wow, the trolls are out in force today.

Maybe they are all that 5yr old asian girl from the windows ads? I find it ironic that trolls rag on apple "computers for morons" yet the windoze campaign is built around a little girl and how easy their system is to us. Does she do the virus scans and removal as well, does she fix the registry when it's f*'ed, does she reinstall the bios when they magically become corrupted? I can't wait for the ad of her doing the VistaV.2 install, daddy get me drive, now we back up all, daddy daddddddddy i want my chocomilk!!! Now we just look for my barbie dream house cd to reinstall....what daddy it was pirated??? Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa
post #76 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Maybe they are all that 5yr old asian girl from the windows ads? I find it ironic that trolls rag on apple "computers for morons" yet the windoze campaign is built around a little girl and how easy their system is to us. Does she do the virus scans and removal as well, does she fix the registry when it's f*'ed, does she reinstall the bios when they magically become corrupted? I can't wait for the ad of her doing the VistaV.2 install, daddy get me drive, now we back up all, daddy daddddddddy i want my chocomilk!!! Now we just look for my barbie dream house cd to reinstall....what daddy it was pirated??? Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wow you're creepy!
post #77 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Try putting your updates on auto mode

Auto updates for print drivers? I would have to launch the printer first. I gave up. But now I will check tonight.
post #78 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

From the above referenced article.

The way you've highlighted that passage is dishonest because it doesn't account for the context of the comment. If you highlighted the remainder of the sentence then you might gain some credibility but in doing so, you would not be supporting your argument.
post #79 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Auto updates for print drivers? I would have to launch the printer first. I gave up. But now I will check tonight.

What do you mean by launch the printer first? I thought once you had a printer driver on your system, you would get any updates via Software Update.

Or is the update coming from Epson itself?
post #80 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

Wow you're creepy!

You shouldn't attack people on the board troll, that's ground for being banned, then what would you do with your day?

You should probably explain why I am creepy, did you catch me with your wife and your 18yr old daughter, cause the word is freaky not creepy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch