or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumors swirl over Apple's iMac Blu-ray, quad-core plans

Rumors swirl over Apple's iMac Blu-ray, quad-core plans - Page 3

post #81 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

At the risk of sounding argumentative, how do you even compare watching TV shows on cable or satellite (or Hulu) to sales of those same TV shows on Blu-ray or DVD. The reason people watch Hulu is precisely because it's free. By that very definition, those people were never in the market for buying those shows on disc. Also, this doesn't account for the quality of the show in question. The notion that people go for the free and sooner alternatives as opposed to waiting for the eventual Blu-ray/DVD release has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with the desire of the fans of those shows wanting to watch each new episode as it is aired. Heck, even I'll admit that I have no desire to buy a TV show on disc if I saw it for free (or as part of my normal satellite subscription).

You made the comment
Quote:
When you watch an episode of House or C.S.I. or any other show for that matter in HD, it's just not good enough (for me) to have to watch it in anything less.

If none of the non-Blu-ray-based options are good enough for you then I must conclude that you have to wait for the season to air on Blu-ray a year after the season starts before you can begin to watch. You said that its not good enough to watch so the fact that its freeor more accurately ad-supportedwhich appeals to most peoples interests does not appeal to yours. That is fine, but that isnt the norm.

Im also not the norm as I want nearly everything to be digital and saved on various HDDs. The only use I have to a Blu-ray player is for a very select type of movie with excellent special effects, and even then I want to only rent it, not buy it. There is no TV show that I require to be in 1080p. Ill even watch my favorite programs in 360p on Hulu is the internet connection Im using is too slow to stream Hulus 480p content.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You made the comment

If none of the non-Blu-ray-based options are good enough for you then I must conclude that you have to wait for the season to air on Blu-ray a year after the season starts before you can begin to watch. You said that its not good enough to watch so the fact that its freeor more accurately ad-supportedwhich appeals to most peoples interests does not appeal to yours. That is fine, but that isnt the norm.

Im also not the norm as I want nearly everything to be digital and saved on various HDDs. The only use I have to a Blu-ray player is for a very select type of movie with excellent special effects, and even then I want to only rent it, not buy it. There is no TV show that I require to be in 1080p. Ill even watch my favorite programs in 360p on Hulu is the internet connection Im using is too slow to stream Hulus 480p content.

Blu-ray sales are having a record year. Machines are at $200. A big holiday item this year. Get with the program. You'll eventually get it like you got MMS and video on your iPhone this year both of which you never wanted- this I promise you.
post #83 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Blu-ray sales are having a record year. Machines are at $200. A big holiday item this year. Get with the program. You'll eventually get it like you got MMS and video on your iPhone this year both of which you never wanted- this I promise you.

Of course they are having a record year, Its obvious they would. Now show me where they are overtaking DVD drives in PCs and where they cannibalizing every other form of media. They simply arent. Its great for the home entertainment system and that is where it will remain.

Ive had a blu-ray player for years now (which you would know if you ever comprehended what you read), and its great for what it is, but its not ideal for the average PC, especially the most popular consumer PC, the notebook.

PS: I still dont use MMS and wish my iPhone had no camera at all. Its a personal choice, but you dont hear whining in every post about how Apple doesnt make a phone with no camera just for me and me alone.
post #84 of 250
Quote:

And this is precisely why I'm saying the "in 2-years" quote from the Netflix CEO is a little premature. It just takes too damned long to stream or download anything of better-than "good enough" quality. When you watch an episode of House or C.S.I. or any other show for that matter in HD, it's just not good enough (for me) to have to watch it in anything less.

Quote:

You made the comment…

If none of the non-Blu-ray-based options are “good enough” for you then I must conclude that you have to wait for the season to air on Blu-ray a year after the season starts before you can begin to watch. You said that it’s not good enough to watch so the fact that it’s free—or more accurately ad-supported—which appeals to most people’s interests does not appeal to yours. That is fine, but that isn’t the norm.

I’m also not the norm as I want nearly everything to be digital and saved on various HDDs. The only use I have to a Blu-ray player is for a very select type of movie with excellent special effects, and even then I want to only rent it, not buy it. There is no TV show that I require to be in 1080p. I’ll even watch my favorite programs in 360p on Hulu is the internet connection I’m using is too slow to stream Hulu’s 480p content.

You took my quote out of context. If you read my original quote in it's entirety, I was simply making the point that trying to stream or download HD "took too damn long". This statement was in response to a comment about Netflix going all streaming in 2 years. You also could have concluded that I could watch the show in HD on satellite (or cable) when it airs. So no, I don't put off watching TV shows only when they come out on DVD or Blu-ray a year layer.
It's common knowledge that there are two types of DVD/Blu-ray consumers, the renters and the buyers. You happen to be the former and I am the latter and each works best for us for our own reasons. As for your internet connection being too slow to stream 480p, I sincerely am sorry to heard that, but (depending on why your connection speed is what it is) it's further evidence that the infrastructure is not quite mature enough to support wide adoption of a streaming or downloading method of delivery. Heck, I live near a major metropolitan area, have a 15Mbps service and even that is too slow IMO.
post #85 of 250
Quote:

You took my quote out of context. If you read my original quote in it's entirety, I was simply making the point that trying to stream or download HD "took too damn long". This statement was in response to a comment about Netflix going all streaming in 2 years. You also could have concluded that I could watch the show in HD on satellite (or cable) when it airs. So no, I don't put off watching TV shows only when they come out on DVD or Blu-ray a year layer.
It's common knowledge that there are two types of DVD/Blu-ray consumers, the renters and the buyers. You happen to be the former and I am the latter. As for your internet connection being too slow to stream 480p, I sincerely am sorry to heard that, but it's further evidence that the infrastructure is not quite mature enough to support wide adoption of a streaming or downloading method of delivery. Heck, I have a 15Mbps service and even that is too slow IMO.

You say the Netflix CEO is wrong. I think that 2 years looks to be about right. perhaps even sooner. You say that its not possible to streaming anything 'better-than "good enough quality, but the definition of good enough is that its good enough for the majority. Convenience rules the roost in the end and shouldnt forge that people are inherently looking for the simplest solution. At one time the internet was a scary place but they get Netflix streaming or Hulu up and running things start changing. Were seeing that happen.

Blu-ray will NOT be replaced by streaming anytime soon. The quality in audio and video is just too high, but dont make the mistake of discounting what is not good for you as not being good enough for others. Look at it from other peoples perspective.poor quality, ad-supported content is growing while DVD rentals are dropping. There isnt a 1:1 ratio of DVD to Blu-ray.

PS: Usually my internet connection is quite fast, but every now and then I have to tether with my phone and a slow 3G or EDGE may used. Sometimes a congested WiFI network may also be a problem. I travel a lot so I get to test many different connections.
post #86 of 250
Quote:

Of course they are having a record year, Its obvious they would. Now show me where they are overtaking DVD drives in PCs and where they cannibalizing every other form of media. They simply arent. Its great for the home entertainment system and that is where it will remain.

Ive had a blu-ray player for years now (which you would know if you ever comprehended what you read), and its great for what it is, but its not ideal for the average PC, especially the most popular consumer PC, the notebook.

There are further along than where DVDs were are the same point in their history.
DO you use your Blu-ray? You must rent only or just use for DVD playback?
post #87 of 250
Quote:

There are further along than where DVDs were are the same point in their history.
DO you use your Blu-ray? You must rent only or just use for DVD playback?

Considering the size of the market now and how long ago it has been since DVD hit the seen, that isnt hot.

I stated I use it for specific things that I want to see in the best definition. Usually I only care about good enough which tends to fall in line with the majority. I dont own a single DVD or Blu-ray disc.
post #88 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

There are Blu-ray readers that double as DVD/CD burners you know? The question is not whether you need to burn DVDs and CDs, but whether or not you need to burn Blu-rays. I would wager that most people don't need to. Of course adding a Blu-ray reader to the mac pro with no Blu-ray writer available would be stupid.

I personally don't see the purpose of a Blu-ray player on a Mac. Certainly not as long as we hadn't an external reader for the family to watch movies with.

Perhaps one reason for the hesitation for not including a Blu-ray writer is that "recordable discs don't play reliably across the range of Blu-ray players.*"

It might not be critical if you created a Blu-ray disc that didn't play your buddies pc, but disastrous if the next Mac you bought couldn't read your previous Blu-ray backups.

*http://digitalcontentproducer.com/vi.../bluray_blues/
post #89 of 250
Replies in bold.

Quote:

You say the Netflix CEO is wrong. I think that 2 years looks to be about right. perhaps even sooner. You say that it’s not possible to streaming anything 'better-than "good enough” quality’, but the definition of “good enough” is that it’s good enough for the majority. Convenience rules the roost in the end and shouldn’t forge that people are inherently looking for the simplest solution. At one time the internet was a scary place but they get Netflix streaming or Hulu up and running things start changing. We’re seeing that happen.

Didn't say he was wrong, just a bit too optimistic. I see it coming too, just not as soon as you or the Netflix guy does.

Blu-ray will NOT be replaced by streaming anytime soon. The quality in audio and video is just too high, but don’t make the mistake of discounting what is not good for you as not being good enough for others. Look at it from other people’s perspective.poor quality, ad-supported content is growing while DVD rentals are dropping. There isn’t a 1:1 ratio of DVD to Blu-ray.

This is unfortunate because we are constantly being conditioned to settle for less. Low quality MP3 files are/have been replacing CDs and now they want us to settle for "good enough" for sake of convenience. I do look at it from other people's perspectives, I just don't understand why people are willing to settle for less.

PS: Usually my internet connection is quite fast, but every now and then I have to tether with my phone and a slow 3G or EDGE may used. Sometimes a congested WiFI network may also be a problem. I travel a lot so I get to test many different connections.

That sheds a little light on your preference for streaming. I guess I'd be much more into streaming as well if I travelled a lot.
post #90 of 250
Internal Blue Ray drives in an iMac is a waste of the consumer's dollars. Unless it is offered as a internal superdrive without added cost to the consumer, I would not want it in an iMac. Why?

You really aren't going to benefit viewing a Blue Ray movie on a 20-24" screen. Data storage BR disc are way too expensive for the average consumer to replace their current storage needs. My guess is very few consumers are even taking full advantage of the superdrive's capabilities that come standard in their iMac.

If Apple offers an internal BR superdrive across its iMac line, it will be for future usage when BR data disc are as cheap as burnable CD/DVDs and it won't happen until Apple's cost is equal to their present superdrive.

For those very few people who need the data storage of Blue Ray, used their Macs as media centers connected to large screen HDTVs, and can afford the expense, there are third party options.
post #91 of 250
Quote:

Didn't say he was wrong, just a bit too optimistic. I see it coming too, just not as soon as you or the Netflix guy does.

Then you feel he is wrong about the timeframe. He very could be, but from what Ive seen of internet-based media, its growing very fast.

Quote:
This is unfortunate because we are constantly being conditioned to settle for less. Low quality MP3 files are/have been replacing CDs and now they want us to settle for "good enough" for sake of convenience. I do look at it from other people's perspectives, I just don't understand why people are willing to settle for less.

You bring up a good point. the iTMS became successful with 128kbps AAC, no liner notes, not transferable for resale and came with DRM. In the land of the lazy, convenience is king.
post #92 of 250
Quote:
Around the same time, others with connections to the Mac maker have shared word that Intel's recently released Core i7 'Clarksfield' quad-core mobile processors may find their way into the new iMac line in some capacity, making the new models the first consumer-oriented Macs with four processing cores.

The chips are available in 1.6GHz and 1.73GHz flavors, in addition to a pricer 2.0GHz variant that Apple would appear less likely to adopt in a consumer Mac given a price tag north of $1000.

Definitely agree. It's the hardware that sells a Mac. Quad-cores have been available on desktops for the last 3 years, while mobile quad-cores have been available for 2 years already. Apple is the last computer maker to offer its customers the power of quad-cores for its pricier line of desktop substitutes, the all in one iMacs. It's about time.

post #93 of 250
Quote:

Considering the size of the market now and how long ago it has been since DVD hit the seen, that isn’t hot.

I stated I use it for specific things that I want to see in the best definition. Usually I only care about “good enough” which tends to fall in line with the majority. I don’t own a single DVD or Blu-ray disc.

And therefore you're not the norm yet you constantly posts your reasons why we should all have the same modus operandi as yourself? That's both preposterous and ridiculous!!
post #94 of 250
Quote:

Of course they are having a record year, It’s obvious they would.

You constantly said for 2 years that Blu-ray wasn't going anywhere and this year it has. Once again- you've been proven wrong.
post #95 of 250
Why the big hoopla over Blu ray? Sure, Blu ray drives sound great (and they are great), but for notebooks (which are Apple's main bread 'n' butter) they are pointless. Let's be honest too- the majority of users would simply use the drive to watch movies. But, unless you own a 17" Macbook Pro or a 24" iMac, which have native resolutions of 1920x1200, you're not getting true HD. That and the power consumption issue. Desktops are one thing, but Blu ray drives just don't belong in notebooks of any kind, IMO.
post #96 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

For those very few people who need the data storage of Blue Ray, used their Macs as media centers connected to large screen HDTVs, and can afford the expense, there are third party options.

Or FCS users who need a better method of HD delivery. Unfortunately, you may be right. I'll probably have to resort to a 3rd-party solution. You think they would at least make it available on the Mac Pro for FCS users.
post #97 of 250
Quote:

You say the Netflix CEO is wrong. I think that 2 years looks to be about right. perhaps even sooner. You say that its not possible to streaming anything 'better-than "good enough quality, but the definition of good enough is that its good enough for the majority. Convenience rules the roost in the end and shouldnt forge that people are inherently looking for the simplest solution. At one time the internet was a scary place but they get Netflix streaming or Hulu up and running things start changing. Were seeing that happen.

Blu-ray will NOT be replaced by streaming anytime soon. The quality in audio and video is just too high, but dont make the mistake of discounting what is not good for you as not being good enough for others. Look at it from other peoples perspective.poor quality, ad-supported content is growing while DVD rentals are dropping. There isnt a 1:1 ratio of DVD to Blu-ray.

I would wager that the people who rent DVDs through Netflix do not represent the average consumer, especially one wishing to purchase, not rent. Even if Netflix distributes more streaming video that physical media within two years, I doubt that the general market will be anywhere near that ratio. It doesn't really matter if the ratio of people ditching DVD and people getting Blu-ray is one-to-one. The number of people using Blu-ray is/will be far too large to ignore.

Lastly, there is a whole world outside of the US that does not have access to the streaming services that Americans are accustomed to. No matter how much you guys want to spin it, there is a need for Blu-ray.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #98 of 250
Quote:

In the land of the lazy, convenience is king.

Now there's something I totally agree on. Very well said.
post #99 of 250
Quote:

And therefore you're not the norm yet you constantly posts your reasons why we should all have the same modus operandi as yourself? That's both preposterous and ridiculous!!

I write I dont own and you read I dont use. Those English classes arent quite paying off for you yet. Ever heard of renting?

Quote:

You constantly said for 2 years that Blu-ray wasn't going anywhere and this year it has. Once again- you've been proven wrong.

The facts show that Blu-ray is growing. As usual, you cant comprehend even the simplest of sentences. Blu-ray is not growing at a substantial rate in the PC world. Without OS X supporting AACS dont expect Blu-ray drives in your next Mac notebook. Of course, youll read that as an absolute statement.
post #100 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Why the big hoopla over Blu ray? Sure, Blu ray drives sound great (and they are great), but for notebooks (which are Apple's main bread 'n' butter) they are pointless. Let's be honest too- the majority of users would simply use the drive to watch movies. But, unless you own a 17" Macbook Pro or a 24" iMac, which have native resolutions of 1920x1200, you're not getting true HD. That and the power consumption issue. Desktops are one thing, but Blu ray drives just don't belong in notebooks of any kind, IMO.

For the umpteenth time. Do you want to buy the same movie twice? Blu-ray for your home theater, DVD for your mac. If that is what you want, I have a PSP and some UMD movies to sell you.
post #101 of 250
Quote:

Lastly, there is a whole world outside of the US that does not have access to the streaming services that Americans are accustomed to. No matter how much you guys want to spin it, there is a need for Blu-ray.

The rest of the world? There are lots of places in the U.S. the are no better off when it comes to internet access (or lack thereof).
post #102 of 250
Quote:

The rest of the world? There are lots of places in the U.S. the are no better off when it comes to internet access (or lack thereof).

Fair enough, but at least you can open an account on Netflix.com and at least attempt to watch video on Hulu
post #103 of 250
Quote:

I would wager that the people who rent DVDs through Netflix do not represent the average consumer, especially one wishing to purchase, not rent. Even if Netflix distributes more streaming video that physical media within two years, I doubt that the general market will be anywhere near that ratio. It doesn't really matter if the ratio of people ditching DVD and people getting Blu-ray is one-to-one. The number of people using Blu-ray is/will be far too large to ignore.

I would agree that physical media will still be more popular overall in two years. Never sai any differently. Netflix CEOs comment is just one sign of a trend. I signed up for Netflix simply for the purpose of streaming. I dont even utilize the physical media option. I have that going to my niece and nephew, but its never been used.

No one is ignoring Blu-ray, dont get Teckstudian on us now. But Blu-ray is not going to be the de-facto standard like DVD was on PCs. That ship has long sailed. The internet is too grown up and programs arent so large that they require an expensive Blu-ray disc over a DVD disc. Blu-ray has failed to take hold on PCs. Well see optical drives on notrebooks go away before we see Blu-ray drives as standards across all notebook PCs. That I predict.
post #104 of 250
Quote:

For the umpteenth time. Do you want to buy the same movie twice? Blu-ray for your home theater, DVD for your mac. If that is what you want, I have a PSP and some UMD movies to sell you.

I'm confused by your response, but I'll surmise that you are in support for Blu ray drives in notebooks. If that's the case, then you need a 17" Macbook Pro to get the HD experience. But with that said, why would you want to watch a Blu ray on your notebook when you can watch one on your home theater, as you advise? No contest there. DVDs suffice on notebook-sized screens because of resolution limitations.

And no, I don't want your PSP UMD movies.
post #105 of 250
Quote:

Apple is dragging its feet in adopting Blu-ray technology and at this point is far from being innovative. This rumour is truly annoying. Is it that difflicult to provide this as an option?

Apple has and will continue to cut off our access to ANY form of 21st century media technologies, BluRay, CableCARD, etc (ones not invented at Apple anyway). This shouldn't come as any shock looking how they have managed the App Store applications is it any wonder that Apple feels they can get away with just about anything at this point?
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #106 of 250
Quote:

I watch a movie once and that is it. But managed copy is supposed to care of that issue. There are caveats with every new technology, but having a Blu-ray player in my notebook whirling away to hopefully give me enough power to watch the whole movie before the battery dies, while still watching it on my 13 display without being to enjoy the full HD audio and 5.1 audio is just a waste. Even when I did have DVDs many years ago, Id copy them to my HDD so that power-guzzling and noisy optical drive wouldnt be an issue.
post #107 of 250
Quote:

The facts show that Blu-ray is growing. As usual, you can’t comprehend even the simplest of sentences. Blu-ray is not growing at a substantial rate in the PC world. Without OS X supporting AACS don’t expect Blu-ray drives in your next Mac notebook. Of course, you’ll read that as an absolute statement.

Why would their be Blu-ray drives unless its OS supported it? Why would you even make that statement? meanwhile Bluy-ray is all over PCs.
post #108 of 250
Quote:

I'm not saying all, but a surprising number of the Blu-rays I've purchased have come with a digital copy (almost 50%). And no, it's not all animation.
post #109 of 250
While visiting a Wal-Mart Superstore, in South Surrey, BC Canada, I stopped to look at the new Blu-ray Display and saw the Apple Logo displayed alongside Dell, HP, and Sony as Computer companies offering Blu-ray Disc players, the voice over states that Apple offers desktops and portables with Blu-ray Disc Players... along with the 3 other vendors represented by their logos.
post #110 of 250
Quote:

I would agree that physical media will still be more popular overall in two years. Never sai any differently. Netflix CEOs comment is just one sign of a trend. I signed up for Netflix simply for the purpose of streaming. I dont even utilize the physical media option. I have that going to my niece and nephew, but its never been used.

No one is ignoring Blu-ray, dont get Teckstudian on us now. But Blu-ray is not going to be the de-facto standard like DVD was on PCs. That ship has long sailed. The internet is too grown up and programs arent so large that they require an expensive Blu-ray disc over a DVD disc. Blu-ray has failed to take hold on PCs. Well see optical drives on notrebooks go away before we see Blu-ray drives as standards across all notebook PCs. That I predict.

Blu-ray is still in it's infancy on computers, it is way too early to write it off (in my opinion). I do agree that it probably wont become a standard like DVD drives, but those who have made the jump in their living room will eventually want to make the jump on their computers as well. After a while, just wanting to watch the occasional movie on your computer will become annoying if your computer can't play the movies you have purchased. And suggesting that Macs don't need a Blu-ray option is essentially the same as ignoring it. Choice is good, is it not? I'd rather not think about the fact that I am arguing on the same side as teckstud in this thread
post #111 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Apple has and will continue to cut off our access to ANY form of 21st century media technologies, BluRay, CableCARD, etc (ones not invented at Apple anyway). This shouldn't come as any shock looking how they have managed the App Store applications is it any wonder that Apple feels they can get away with just about anything at this point?

Especially after what they evolved that damned AppleTV into- a DRM iTunes Digital Jukebox.
I was a sucker for ever thinking that would add anything of value to my home theater.
post #112 of 250
Quote:

I'm not saying all, but a surprising number of the Blu-rays I've purchased have come with a digital copy (almost 50%).

Some come with all 3 now. DVDs added too.
post #113 of 250
Quote:

Why would their be Blu-ray drives unless its OS supported it? Why would you even make that statement? meanwhile Bluy-ray is all over PCs.

Are you really that dense? You keep yammering about Apple addign Blu-ray drives to the iMac, yet you havent realized that the Mac Pro should be the first machine to get and that without OS X support you still wouldnt be able to play Blu-ray titles. Seriously, Dude!

Quote:
BDs will be found in 3.6 percent of PCs shipped this yeara number expected to rise to only 16.3 percent by 2013.

BDs wont be replacing DVDs as the primary optical drive in PC systems through at least the year 2013, said Michael Yang, iSuppli senior analyst for storage and mobile memory, in a statement.

They eventually will find success, but during the next five years, that success will be limited in the PC segment.

Yeah, 3.6% for 2009 is ALL OVER. What a rube!
post #114 of 250
Quote:

I'd rather not think about the fact that I am arguing on the same side as teckstud in this thread

Shh! Do you really want that to be made public?

j/k @ Teckstud
post #115 of 250
Quote:

Some come with all 3 now. DVDs added too.

Yes, I've seen. I think I might have 1 or 2 with all three.
post #116 of 250
Ok, first of all I have no wish to offend any of you out there because of my lack of knowledge concerning computers. I have found that SOME (far from everyone) of computer geeks (probably because they never get laid IRL) tend to snap your head off when you say something obviously stupid about computers, the net or other related stuff, so I want to warn you: I am a 100% "n00b", at least compared to most of you who post here. I mean no harm, I just want to get some advice on what to do.

So, here we go!

I want to buy an iMac, and it will be my "standard" computer. I will use it for games, internet, movies, film/photo/music-editing, studies etc. I plan to have it for a while. I have around $2,100, 2,200 to spend but want a better one than the most expensive iMac you can order today. I want quad-core (preferably the i5 or i7) and overall, better parts in the computer than today's iMac, since I'm going to be spending a lot on it. Rumour tells me that an upgrade is coming, and I hope that the hardware will be better, otherwise I'm buying a PC instead.

However, I have no idea if these rumours are good. What worries me is that they're going to add a version of the i7 core that only has 1.60 GHz to 2.00 GHz in CPU. This doesn't sound really good? I don't really know what it means but I know that the higher GHz, the better. 1.60 sounds like a grandpa computer! *prejudice*

Overall - I want my games and future games to run very smoothly on my new, very expensive computer, I want a full version of Adobe Photoshop to work extremely well and that the computer is FAST and sexy. The iMac design IS sexy.

So, why so low GHz? Doesn't the iMacs of today have higher? Why would the lower it??
post #117 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

why would you want to watch a Blu ray on your notebook when you can watch one on your home theater, as you advise? No contest there. DVDs suffice on notebook-sized screens because of resolution limitations.

So, can someone remind me why I'd want to watch a movie, DVD or Blu-ray, on my Mac in the first place?
post #118 of 250
Quote:

Blu-ray is still in it's infancy on computers, it is way too early to write it off (in my opinion). I do agree that it probably wont become a standard like DVD drives, but those who have made the jump in their living room will eventually want to make the jump on their computers as well. After a while, just wanting to watch the occasional movie on your computer will become annoying if your computer can't play the movies you have purchased. And suggesting that Macs don't need a Blu-ray option is essentially the same as ignoring it. Choice is good, is it not? I'd rather not think about the fact that I am arguing on the same side as teckstud in this thread

Im all for choice and wish Apple would update OS X to allow for AACS so people with 3rd-party internal an external BRD arent having to boot into Windows Vista/7 to play their titles. They dont have to supply the drives, but having the OS support AACS would be nice. The fact that SL just came out with no support and that DVD Player is one of the few major apps that didnt get an update (still at 32-bit, too) makes me think Apple has no intention of pushing Blu-ray in the near future. With the other factors involved I think it makes the most sense for Apples strategy.

PS: You and Teckstud are not arguing on the same side. He doesnt want choice, he wants Apple to bend everything to his of what he thinks is the best choice, but it has nothing to do with choice overall.
post #119 of 250
Quote:

Especially after what they evolved that damned AppleTV into- a DRM iTunes Digital Jukebox. I was a sucker for ever thinking that would add anything of value to my home theater.

Step 1 - PatchStick the ATV
Step 2 - Install XBMC

post #120 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, can someone remind me why I'd want to watch a movie, DVD or Blu-ray, on my Mac in the first place?

As a girl who gets turned on by the design of the iMac and its sexiness, I'm asking why you WOULDN'T want to watch it as much as possible?

(oh, and I don't own a TV...)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumors swirl over Apple's iMac Blu-ray, quad-core plans