or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's Snow Leopard bests Windows 7 in speed tests

Apple's Snow Leopard bests Windows 7 in speed tests - Page 5

post #161 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's interesting how you sugarcoat the reality of Windows maintenance. I do it everyday and my job requires setting up windows machines for corporate and personal use.

Here's what you "conveniently" failed to mention in your points:

1) Windows Update does update everything it can. Unfortunately, it requires multiple restarts, multiple updating, and then those updates after restart requires even more updates to the updates it just applied. Then, any 3rd party add-ons and plugins need to be updated. Depending on the release-date of the install, it takes literally hours to get a windows PC fully patched and updated. Hours of lost productivity.

2) The Disk Defragmenter included with Windows is a crippled version of Executive Software's Diskeeper. It is useless and does little to address the problem. On corporate and personal levels, I install the full-version of Diskeeper and recommend to personal users to also purchase and install it. There are freeware version that holds promise that I've been testing called Defraggler from Piriform: http://www.piriform.com/defraggler . In addtion, I use another freeware product from Piriform called CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner to keep the registry in check and remove all wasted disk space. It also has an excellent program uninstaller which does a better job of removing unwanted programs compared to the regular windows-supplied add/remove programs option. The sad part is that I have to seek 3rd party solutions since Microsoft does not provide for it or includes a crippled version of it for whatever reason. It's a sad state when I have to clean up registries that are so easily corrupted again impeding performance. Microsoft fails big-time in this area.

AntiVirus is a necessity for Windows folks. I personally don't use it on my personal windows machines since the performance hit of every vendor (including Microsoft's new - and free - AV solution) is just too much to accept. Is it any wonder why a Window's machine requires twice the horsepower just to keep all the necessary maintenance systems running? It's a joke.

So the point of my response to you is that Windows requires a ridiculous amount of handholding just to keep the system humming. My machines run great as I have the knowledge and knowhow to do it. But for the 99% of regular folk, it is a lesson in futility. Even when I get someone's machine running perfectly, in a month it will be back to some level of problem as windows does not do a good job to fend for itself.

If you really think that what is provided within Windows is adequate to keep a system running smoothly, I recommend to you that you don't quit YOUR day job. You probably have a very low standard of how a PC should run. Productivity takes a back seat in that case soon enough.

On the Apple systems I work on they take care of themselves right out of the box. Within 15 minutes, they are ready to go and be put to use. And in most cases, I never have to touch them again.

This is from years of experience on BOTH systems and it is my day job.

I figured out your opinion is extremely biased right at "Is it any wonder why a Window's machine requires twice the horsepower just to keep all the necessary maintenance systems running?"
post #162 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I think all you really need to know about this test is in the graphic. They only show the tests where OS X wins and conveniently leave out the two tests where Windows 7 wins.

Basically, all the article proves, at best, is that Apple hardware runs Apple software better then Microsoft software.

Here is a test for you. I just compared over 100 different benchmarks tests on my HP Vista Laptop. In every test, Vista out performed OS X. In fact, OS X wouldn't even boot the machine. Thus, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that OS X has major compatibility issues and should be avoided.

-kpluck

Errr.... are you retarded or something?
post #163 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

On new quad core AV takes much, much less. Probably bellow 1% (my experience at least).

Registry bloating is over-exaggerated, as most Windows "problems" are observed here. With all the games, freeware, shareware... going through my PC, my load times or responsiveness in a year time does not change enough to be noticeable (I will run registry cleaner approximately once a year, by habit). For less demanding users, registry will not cause performance problem within the life of computer, old-fashioned as it is.

I find that a little hard to believe. Even after 6 months with Windows 7, I had very noticeable reductions in loading times and my PC became less and less responsive after initial startup. Connecting to the internet took longer than it had in the past, etc. This is not something I say because I am a mac user, as I switched after Apples intel transition. When all I had were PCs, Windows slowing down over a period of time was a common complaint of mine. Duting this same time I bashed Macs even though I had no experience with them, I just parroted the common talking points that Windows users used against macs. The slowdown is real, and I think most people do notice it. In fact I would argue that many people replace their PC's earlier than they need to because Windows has slowed down, when all they really needed was a reformat. Maybe I am just more aware of these reductions in responsiveness, but they are definitely there.

Of course not all problems are necessarily due to the registry. Windows has never had a good way for the average user to manage startup programs, so they tend to pile up, slowly leaching the performance out of the system (note that I managed mine, so that wasn't why it slowed down). One place where it seems that Microsoft has made strides is in the reduction of spyware you get while surfing the internet. An adaware scan found next to nothing after six+ months of use with Windows 7.

As far as this test goes, it is rather useless. The only telling feature is the startup and shut down times which are mostly unimportant factors for everyday use. Other than that, the study found that programs optimized for OSX run better in OSX and programs optimized for Windows and ported to OSX run better in Windows.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #164 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

No, it thrives in spite of Apple Hardware. Also, there is no such thing as Apple hardware anymore, they died with the PowerPC. They design ways to cram other people's parts into pleasant looking forms.

Exactly. You can buy a Win PC with the same hardware and then compare them. The only difference is the OS running the HW.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #165 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Can't we all just get along?

My wife's Acer Aspire One AOD250 (just came in today... only $250 new) and my 13" MacBook Pro. They live together in harmony, why can't we?

No, Mazda, this is harmony!

post #166 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

Dude,
If my car took 2.8 minutes or more to start up... yeah... I would be comparing it. You think people would shy away from a car that required a 2 minute wait every time you started it?

I have heard of people's PCs taking more than 5 minutes to fully start up. No joke.

And, even at 30 seconds vs. 60 seconds... it's noticeable, it's annoying and it effects the computer experience and usefulness of your computer. If you want to do something quick on your computer (check e-mail, look something up) and realize that you have to wait 60 seconds to do a task that will take roughly 30 seconds... it becomes an issue.

Come on...did you look at the numbers? 6 seconds on shutdown difference and 6 seconds on startup... 6 seconds. Also where do you stop the clock? When the desktop appears? When CPU usage drops to 0? What's the criteria here? Regardless 6 seconds is nothing. If you don't have both machines in front of you booting head to head you are NOT going to notice a 6 second difference. That's rediculous.
post #167 of 169
Boot Camp and Windows 7? I haven't heard or read anything about this so I'm wondering if there are any experiences yet.
post #168 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I find that a little hard to believe. Even after 6 months with Windows 7, I had very noticeable reductions in loading times and my PC became less and less responsive after initial startup. Connecting to the internet took longer than it had in the past, etc. This is not something I say because I am a mac user, as I switched after Apples intel transition. When all I had were PCs, Windows slowing down over a period of time was a common complaint of mine. Duting this same time I bashed Macs even though I had no experience with them, I just parroted the common talking points that Windows users used against macs. The slowdown is real, and I think most people do notice it. In fact I would argue that many people replace their PC's earlier than they need to because Windows has slowed down, when all they really needed was a reformat. Maybe I am just more aware of these reductions in responsiveness, but they are definitely there.

Bingo!!!
post #169 of 169
I got my copy of 7 Home Premium yesterday and it's noticeably slower than Snow Leopard on a quad core with 12GB RAM.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's Snow Leopard bests Windows 7 in speed tests