or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › 34 hours with no sleep...interrsting things start to happenn

34 hours with no sleep...interrsting things start to happenn - Page 2

post #41 of 117
Ironically, every time this thread starts to drift off to sleep it gets woken up.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #42 of 117
I also googled something similar.. "3 days no sleep" and this is one of the first things that came up. I'm beginning to get a little worried as I am a little tired, very conscious of my heartbeat for some reason, and have Bern staring at my wall for 3 days at night with no results. I found this thread really Close and timewasting. Ate there any resources for sleep deprivation slash insomnia that anyone knows about,, I haven't heard of any..
post #43 of 117
Wow, a ten year old thread!?
post #44 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I also googled something similar.. "3 days no sleep" and this is one of the first things that came up. I'm beginning to get a little worried as I am a little tired, very conscious of my heartbeat for some reason, and have Bern staring at my wall for 3 days at night with no results. I found this thread really Close and timewasting. Ate there any resources for sleep deprivation slash insomnia that anyone knows about,, I haven't heard of any..

I take it you're new to staying up, eh?

I've done over two days only three times, but I've never run into any of this, even on my longest run (74 hours).

Might be because I believe in mind over matter for most things. I'm only hungry if I want to be, and caffeine has a larger effect on me because I want it to. I don't drink anything with sugar in it after 4 because a single can of soda would keep me up past two in the morning.

Just trust that your mind can control most of the world around you and you can do some impressive things. Mind you, nothing like reality bending or changing the cosmological constant, but with your lifestyle and your interactions with others? Certainly.

Also, this is the most impressive thread necro I've ever seen. Ten years, ten years...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #45 of 117
Remedial Math would be a good place for you folks to start... I'm having a hard time coming up with "10" years on this thread.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #46 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Remedial Math would be a good place for you folks to start... I'm having a hard time coming up with "10" years on this thread.

Your signature is now ironic.

11 minus 1 is 10.

IGNORE MONTHS, OBVIOUSLY, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

post #47 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your signature is now ironic.

11 minus 1 is 10.

IGNORE MONTHS, OBVIOUSLY, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

From what I can see, the thread was started 01-01-2002 ... that was 9 (NINE) years ago.
(Yes, I'm just THAT bored right now.)
post #48 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

From what I can see, the thread was started 01-01-2002 ... that was 9 (NINE) years ago.
(Yes, I'm just THAT bored right now.)

It says 12-31-2001 for me. That's not really possible.

post #49 of 117
The insomnia thread will never sleep.
post #50 of 117
Sleep is important!
post #51 of 117
Quote:

Seek professional help immediately. I'm not joking. A psychiatrist can help you.
post #52 of 117
Ah yes, the days before AppleOutsider, just the General Discussion forum for the non-sensical topics.
post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It says 12-31-2001 for me. That's not really possible.

Of course it's possible. When the thread was started, it was January first where KOSH is now, and it was still Dec. 31 where you are.

Right now it's January 7th here. But it's still Jan 6th where you are. My browser will report that this post was made on January 7th. Your browser will report that I said this on January 6th.
post #54 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates View Post

I never went to sleep last night (up doing a project until 5:30...alarm goes off at six. I watched TV for thirty minutes because i was s afraid if i slept any, i woulnd't want to get back up again.

I'm all "fuzzy around the edges" and feel like I've had a whole lots of bbeers. I stood in the grocery store a while ago and just swayed badck and forth at the magazine rack.

I don't think i've ever gone this long with no sleep at all. Quite an odd sensation. I couldn't be a doctor and have to do those wild "36 on/36 off" emergency room hours, or whaetever it is they do.

STarting to hit me really good in the past half hour...there's NO WAY I'll make it to midnight.

I might not make it to the end of this post...

This is not good for your heart at all with no sleep.You should at least 7-8 hours of sleep everyday.:
post #55 of 117
yea yea yea....no sleep bad, what ever. When you live in the REAL world there are times were you or others may go a day or 2 with no sleep. Just think if you end up getting surgery that the one cutting you open might be on a 3 day bender. So what that you miss a few nights of sleep here and there. yea no sleep is bad for you...so are cow farts....you will live.

anyways as far as being worried when you havnt slept about feeling off, seeing things, hearing things...all normal. Eating something and get a little rest it will go away. still cant sleep eat and take some alergy meds, the bynadrll.

and as far as it being a 3 year old thread....doesnt matter how old. advice and personal story will help others looking at it now, and later.
post #56 of 117
I have been up 96 hours, and started to get serious shakes from caffeine overdose or something. No hallucinations, though.

But that is nothing - my wife was up for two weeks straight during pregnancy. Every time she started to drift off she had some kind of internal pain that she said felt like she was dying, and sleeping medications just made her stay awake more. I think that she was psychotic for part of the time, it wasn't pleasant - finally she checked herself into the hospital and they fixed things.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #57 of 117
Holy crap I just realized this thread was from 12/31/2001. WTF?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #58 of 117
I think 40 hours is the longest ive gone without sleep when on a long haul flight to Australia and I got delayed so sat about in the airport waiting to find out when my out going flight would leave. Couldn't really sleep incase i missed my flight and i just cant sleep on planes so by the time i arrived in Australia it was 10am in the morning so i had to try to stay awake as long as possible to stop myself getting jet lag. As others mentioned it was fine while doing something but as soon as you stop you feel the tiredness and you head starts to go
post #59 of 117
So it was the week before college finals week, and what do 4 of my professors do? Assign a large writing assignment due before the end of the week. So to get everything done, I had to sacrifice some sleep; 30 hours of it. I woke up on a Wed around 7:00am, had class from 8am to 12pm and then started my papers. Around 7pm the same day, I had a program to do in my hall which sucked up a good 4 hours of my day. Finally around 11pm, I continued with my papers, but having three to complete before the next day, I knew I wasn't heading to bed anytime soon. From 11am til 6:30am (Wed into Thurs) I wrote both of my papers on an empty stomach with nothing to drink but an AMP energy drink. Luckily I finished two of my papers and was near completion of the last. I decided to take a shower around 6:30am and watch infomercials until 7:30am which is when the library on campus opens, so I can finish my last paper. Then at 8am til 12pm, again, I had class back to back. At around 9:30am (right before my second class) I got a coffee with cream and sugar, but still nothing to eat. Sitting in class, I felt well drinking the coffee and attentive. Then 11am rolled around (my 3rd class starting) and things changed drastically. Sitting in my class, I started to get really figity. The fingers on my right hand started moving rapidly in a circular motion, without me really controlling, or realizing, until I actually noticed. Then the figits started moving up to my wrist, where my fingers and wrist would start moving circularly in a rapid motion. Within 30 min into the class, the figits moved up my arm; my arm would figit quickly (shaking) while my wrist and fingers continued the "scooping" circular movement. My fingers on my right hand started to feel tingly and were very cold to the touch. It was hard for me to focus on what the teacher was saying, and difficult for my to obtain control of my hands long enough to be able to type notes. Naturally, I looked very awkward and did everything I could to stop my movements. I sat on my right hand, but then the movements started in the left (not to the same severity as the right hand though). Then I sat on my left hand and the movements started in my toes, then ankles. Class finally let out, and the right side of my body was flailing excessively. I pretty much started to panic, since this has never happened to me. At around 12:30pm, I arrived back to my hall where I talked to some of my friends of my involuntary muscle movements. At this point, I was also pretty dehydrated, and my friends insisted that I drink tons of water, which I did. It was very difficult for me to focus on what anyone was saying, though I remember being cognitive enough to respond to their questions appropriately and I could not function a touch-screen phone because my pointer finger was in constant motion. Around 1pm the "fuzziness" feeling I had been experiencing since 11am, started to get worse, and I started to feel dizzy and cloudy; despite everything though, I did not feel tired or even desired to sleep. At 2pm my friends and I were planning on going to lunch (mind you I still hadn't eaten since maybe 5pm Wed night); between 1pm and 2pm I started to have involuntary muscle movements in my mouth and tongue. I was constantly grinding my teeth, rolling my tongue, and licking my lips; of course this looked really silly. Fortunately, the movements in my arm started to decrease in severity. Again, I didn't feel sleepy or even irritated; I was kind of just "okay" with things. I went to lunch with my friends and the entire time, I kid you not, I felt like I was high (and yes I know the feeling enough to be able to identify it). I do not remember chewing my food, but I do remember swallowing it (if that makes sense haha). I also started to get very panicky and paranoid; I started to feel really scared that maybe someone put drugs in my coffee this morning (lol). I even considered calling the place that I got my coffee from! My friends just thought it was hilarious, but helped calm me down. At around 3:00pm, I finally laid down in my bed, the movements stopped, and within 10 minutes I was sound asleep. I woke up about 2 hours later feeling sick, groggy, and having a full bladder; I went to the bathroom and back to sleep soundly and undisturbed for 5 more hours. I finally woke up around 11:00pm (Thurs still), and felt fantastic for the most part. I remember everything that happened, but everything felt like a dream. It was a very strange experience; I have never encountered anything like it before; then again I've never stayed awake longer than 24 hours without food/water and with an energy drink and coffee. Sorry this post is really long, but has anyone else experienced severe involuntary muscle movements from lack of sleep?
post #60 of 117
TWO. THOUSAND. ONE.

You brought back a previously-necroed thread from 2001 to post your FIRST POST as an unreadable wall of text?

post #61 of 117
Quote:

Go see a shrink!
post #62 of 117
funnily enough im curently at 88 hours without sleep.
i rolled over in bed this morning to find the girl i like apparently in my bed, before she sat up and slit her throat.
i see things in the corner of my eye that arent there and are SHIT scary, and i find myself paranoid at these imafges.
i cant read things without it taking me 6-10 minutes to realise what it means or to put the words together
ive blaked out (micro sleeps) 7 times today according to my parents, including near the top of the stairs
ive (so far) had my room on fire, had ants (inside my arm) eat their way out and the flesh around it, and ive had the skin around my eyes melt in the mirror
sugar, lucozade, dr pepper, tea are what ive taken to keep me awake so far
im going to the doctors tommorrow to pick up some sleeping tablets.

ive completely lost my appetite, find myself rocking back and forth without intention, my left leg has been giving way underneath me today from shaking uncontrollably. i cannot foxus on text corectly,

i wouldnt recomend doing this on purpse to anyone. when im not halucinating i feel like im dead. when i am, i generally wish i was dead. cause is currently unknown and unfortuantly my doctors are useless as you have to make an appointment days in advance. i made this appointment at 22 hours without sleep. by the time my appointment is here, ill have had roughly 100 hours without sleep.
until then i just need to try and not kill myself for whatever reason
post #63 of 117
w.t.f.
post #64 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates View Post

I never went to sleep last night (up doing a project until 5:30...alarm goes off at six. I watched TV for thirty minutes because i was s afraid if i slept any, i woulnd't want to get back up again.

I'm all "fuzzy around the edges" and feel like I've had a whole lots of bbeers. I stood in the grocery store a while ago and just swayed badck and forth at the magazine rack.

I don't think i've ever gone this long with no sleep at all. Quite an odd sensation. I couldn't be a doctor and have to do those wild "36 on/36 off" emergency room hours, or whaetever it is they do.

STarting to hit me really good in the past half hour...there's NO WAY I'll make it to midnight.

I might not make it to the end of this post...

Ah yes... reminds me of my days in residency... you'll survive, just don't try to drive anywhere!
post #65 of 117
i had a similar experience to what was mentioned about waking up and not being able to think at all ! its scary as shit and ironically i also played Tony Hawks skate boarding for over 16 hours , and didn't sleep till 1:00 in the day then i woke up and i couldn't think anything but how my perspective view is flipping around like the half pipe camera switched in the skating game , i had that situation for about 5 minutes and it started going away gradually till a gained some sense in my brain , it happened few more times and it still terrifies me ! but it happens only when i get busy with something for too long without getting proper sleep , i also have simplified cases of that when i wake up with a panic attack but i atleast aware where am i and who am i ... sleeping is some serious shit kids don't skip nights !
post #66 of 117
It's like a terrible B-movie.

The Thread That Never Sleeps!

post #67 of 117
for my degree dissertation in 2010, i went through 36 hours straight. Been drinking coffees and a cheap substitute to Redbull called Boost. I drank a 1 lt bottle of that stuffs and trust me, that was the first and last time I drank that. It made my heart pumping fast and suffocation, but after half an hour, it worked and I seriously did not felt sleepy. I were editing, typing, printing the thesis for such long hours and once done, I remember that I could barely sleep again for the next two days.

I know on that long night and day, I said why we need to sleep when you can do so much things being awake...hope one day there will be something to make us awake for much long hours and less fatigue..

In 2012, I got another thesis and just now I'm about to do the same thing but much longer than the last time...
post #68 of 117

i always pull all nighter specially if it's exam week but i haven't done 38 hours straight. that must be something! i think it's hard...

post #69 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy009 View Post

i always pull all nighter specially if it's exam week but i haven't done 38 hours straight. that must be something! i think it's hard...

Again, ladies and gentlemen, not to preach but sleep deprivation is the fast track to psychosis and long-term mental illness. It's fun one or twice but beyond that, please be cautious.

There's a reason why sleep deprivation (banging on the cell wall, slapping, bright lights and noise, etc.) is a ~major~ torture technique.

post #70 of 117

iv been up sense Monday and it's now Wednesday, and im seeing some werid shit right now, like im starting to see floaty's hovering around my room , i think im seeing house flys but im not..

And im taking 50 MG TRAZODONES ( Google it ) and they dont even work, i feel like im eating candy, i smoke pot 2 but that stopped helping me sleep when i was like 13 .. i guess it's time to up the Millgram on these peace of shit trazodones .. and trust me i tryed everything none of it works for me any more, it's kinda depressing . I think my body just gotten to dependent on pills to make me sleep or maybe im just to stressed out and cant get those voices to shut up, i dont know if anybody like me has problems with crap like this, maybe one day ill just grow out of this im only 17 by the way, Anyway let me know tho , it'll be nice to share the misery with somebody for once :)     

post #71 of 117

I like to think of this thread as a kind of mysterious confessional, where the sleepless and drug addled wander by every few years, completely unaware of the huge gaps between visits.  

post #72 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

you'll probably get some really wierd/vivid dreams when you go to sleep aswell. Whatever you miss one night in dreaming is actually 'made up' for over the next couple of nights. Apparently no one really knows why you dream, but there are a couple of good theories and research about it. Ive been reading a 1000page book on psychology, of which a fair chunk was on sleep/dreaming.

Sweet dreams, or not!

oh yeah, I forgot to say, if you force yourself to stay awake you will actually go to sleep *standing up*, and if you (or usually someone else) stopped even this then you will *die*!. However its unlikely to happen, as eventually you would get so tired that it would become the singularly most important bodily drive and you would go to sleep even if it meant sleeping in a ton of horse shit, basically you wouldn't care!

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>

Cool! I'm going to stay up for 36 hours now just to see what they dreams are!

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #73 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Cool! I'm going to stay up for 36 hours now just to see what they dreams are!

Yes, or you could get something that happened to me when I was 20... I would stay up all night, then go to bed at about 5am, wake up at say 9am. First few days, all fun and games. Then, at about 6am I would feel this cold presence in the room and I felt as though I was screaming but I didn't know if I was awake or asleep. 

Have fun :)

post #74 of 117

I have stayed up 7 days in a row that's when you really start seeing shit man the most hallucination's are based off of what your thinking about and what your watching (if your watching a movie,game or short youtube video) try not to think about or watch anything scary or creepy also you might get headache's and possibly vomiting if you stay up for 5 or more day's it's very hard to do but for some a fun challenge 

post #75 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Smith View Post

I have stayed up 7 days in a row that's when you really start seeing shit man the most hallucination's are based off of what your thinking about and what your watching (if your watching a movie,game or short youtube video) try not to think about or watch anything scary or creepy also you might get headache's and possibly vomiting if you stay up for 5 or more day's it's very hard to do but for some a fun challenge 

Yeah, I've been close to that...I think my record was 5 days....or so....much of it is just a blur now.

The first 2 days aren't too bad, by the fourth though you start noticing your heartbeat a lot more, and then the hallucinations kick in. 

BUT, if you do manage to stay up for five days, I guarantee you that the sleep that follows will be the most blissful thing you'll ever experience.  I think I slept close to a full day afterwards, like 24 hours.

post #76 of 117
Last year, I was busy preparing a party at 6am and it ended at 10pm straight. I have really never had a good night sleep after the party since I have a flight to catch up for my travel. So I ended up more than 48 hours without a sleep. I never felt sleepy the whole time since I was enjoying my trip and party. I don't even also feel that I am tired at all.
post #77 of 117

This thread is so golden, I signed in just to post.

Hitting hour 40 now. Texted my minimum wage job to tell I'm not coming in today. It might get me fired, but right now I don't care. I guess the reason for the insomnia was the INTENSE week at work. As in, 8 hours a night of running around unloading stock in a big department store. The kind of job that leaves you panting, sweating, and drinking water by the gallon. It's sale week now, plus Christmas stock is coming. You know how you're sometimes so tired and stressed out, you can't sleep? Yeah. 

Interesting effects include: resurgence of my anxiety/depression (been medicating for a few years, SSRI's, with very good results). Bouts of crying, shivers, and suicidal thoughts. If I wasn't so used to this, I'd be worried I might do something stupid.

there's like a pressure in my head that keeps me from staying still in bed, and my skin is kinda crawling, hot and cold at the same time.

Also, when I start drifting off to sleep, I get vivid dreams/ hallucinations. Its like the moment I close my eyes, a dream begins. And its really, really weird stuff. A dream, but one I'm conscious in, and much more lifelike. My fauvorite up until this point involved a sword fight with a shapeshifting monster, something akin to Giger's Alien, taking place in an abandoned temple on a frozen glacier. I nearly cr**ed my pants, but then I realized its a dream, and I WILLED myself awake. Then I look at the watch, and minutes have passed, where I experienced hours. And then this repeats every time I drift off, multiple times, each time with a new dream.

I'm actually surprised my writing is so lucid. But then again, maybe I just imagine it is, and in reality its the bastard child of Scientologic teachings and Dadaism. 

All in all, if you're planning to skip sleep, be damn sure to stay away from SSRI's and/or psychiatric conditions.

It's interesting to think what will happen with this thread. In 10 more years one of us might come back here, and spend the rest of the day looking for his jaw on the floor.

post #78 of 117

Just had to get my name in here because I will sure to see this thread again in another 10 years.

My personal experience was about 60 hours without sleep.  I stayed up for 2 days and 1 night to finish a final project, then celebrated its completion by a whole night of gaming with my friends, topped off with breakfast, poker game, incoherent rambling chit chat in the morning.  Next thing I know was waking up on friend's couch in the middle of night.

post #79 of 117

Over the past week i have had a  bad case of insomnia. one day i slept for 12 hours straight then the next day couldn't seem to fall asleep at all. A week before that , i had stayed up for 32 hours straight and seemed to feel anxiety and tension.  I hoping this  not being able to sleep at time doesn't cause heath problems in the future.

Has anyone else been through this before?

post #80 of 117
I've been up about 42 hours and I'm only 14 and I just suffered a concussion exactly 1 week ago. Basically all that happenes in a dumb persons world is EVERY SINGLE THING GETS LOUDER AND LOUDER THE MORE YOU STAY UP. Then your vision becomes like the first part o an acid trip. And when you sleep you fall asleep within 5 min. Night
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › 34 hours with no sleep...interrsting things start to happenn