or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign

Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign - Page 3

post #81 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

They make some good criticisms.

I find it funny that Apple is hurrah'd when they make fun of Microsoft or Dell, but then people poo-poo anyone who does the same to the almighty Apple. "You can dish it out but you can't take it" comes to mind.

the latest facts are in >> reported by the npd market research idiots
when apple is attacked in an ad it increases apple sales
when a windsows7 came out it increased apple sales

putting apple in the news of any kind increases sales across the board
so dude apple stockholders are sitting crossed legged saying

what me worry ??
<<from the old MAD magazine logo >>
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #82 of 166
These ads just prove that Verizon is super concerned with the iPhone. The number of Verizon Wireless defectors have risen sharply, and these ads are aimed at keeping remaining Verizon Wireless customers in the fold. The Storm, which was their big gun last year, has proven inept at doing so, and in VW's view, Blackberry has nothing else. So now, it turns to the Droid, which I assume, will be tied to Verizon for a very long time (since it'll be branded as a Verizon phone). BTW, if anyone who complains about the iPhone being tied to one carrier buys a Droid, well, then, they're just hypocrites.

In any case, when VW reports their 3rd quarter results soon, we'll see how bad the damage was. And if the Droid is successful, maybe Motorola CAN make a return from the dead.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #83 of 166
Verizon's advert pokes fun at the Apple/ATT ad's, however they should take a closer look at their own adverts on "maps" for using their phones overseas.

With the main image showing a backdrop of local people and pastimes in Australia or Mexico etc, the "Verizon" guy is seen holding a Blackberry. Closer scrutiny shows the phone displaying GPS directions in Italy!

Clearly Verizon needs to get "A Map for that" too!
post #84 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Verizon fumbled the iPhone deal, ignoring the "always bet on Apple" rule, and now they're reduced to attacking Apple directly, which is a recipe for failure.

verizon is creating a buzz around its new stuff
they fear apple >>> i mean they really fear apple
cause apple with ease came out and changes the landscape for smartphones and such
we both know the story

verizon fear's what next
they fear all that profit apple makes means it can strip costs by 30 percent and still make good money leaving verizon with no upside at all in a price phone war

their biggest FEAR is the the darkest secret no speaks about
the carrier less NANO=PHONE

starbucks has instant coffee
quite good
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #85 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Very nice ad.

Just wandered in, huh.... ? Whatever.
post #86 of 166
I thought I would check out the DroidDoes.com site right after viewing the ad and discovered that the site will not load/render in an iPhone. Wow, that's hilarious. DroidDoesn't! Even more amusing is that after loading the site on a PC, the site states "Don't you wish you had a robot sidekick..." Bad choice of wording after the Microsoft/Danger/Sidekick data fiasco.
post #87 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

They make some good criticisms.

I find it funny that Apple is hurrah'd when they make fun of Microsoft or Dell, but then people poo-poo anyone who does the same to the almighty Apple. "You can dish it out but you can't take it" comes to mind.

The problem isn't that they make fun of apple. It is generally they don't do it with class/very well. No the there's a map for that, that was classic. I am a huge apple fan I only have apple comps and phones. But the "There's a map for that" was both well done and classy.
post #88 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

I thought I would check out the DroidDoes.com site right after viewing the ad and discovered that the site will not load/render in an iPhone. Wow, that's hilarious. DroidDoesn't! Even more amusing is that after loading the site on a PC, the site states "Don't you wish you had a robot sidekick..." Bad choice of wording after the Microsoft/Danger/Sidekick data fiasco.

That would because the iPhone Don't Do Flash.

Doesn't Apple report earning tomorrow? Kind of ironic that Google/Motorola/Verizon would choose today to put what iDon't Do in analysts heads.
post #89 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Nice visuals, but pretty lame. Brings more attention to idont.com, which is squatted. Going to be an interesting turn in the industry soon... we'll have to see what shakes out.

This ad backfires. Using the very music from the Apple TV ad just reinforces the Apple brand. A bit of a cheap shot. Wonder if they market tested this one or its some bright spark's *original idea*
post #90 of 166
It's Verizon's own fault for not capitalizing on the iPhone when it had the chance. Now they're down to attacking it? Not very classy.

I also did not think the "There's a map for that" commercials were well done. Like I said, it's their own fault for not jumping on it when they had the chance. Where I live, Verizon is crap. I was so glad to be shot of them 2 years ago.
post #91 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Doesn't Apple report earning tomorrow? Kind of ironic that Google/Motorola/Verizon would choose today to put what iDon't Do in analysts heads.

Yeah. Analysts have been waiting for precisely this insightful ad before they can advise their clients.....

Brilliant, man!
post #92 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykohed View Post

That's the first thing I noticed also. The ad is a conceptual nightmare. It does suggest that the menacing Droid is coming to crush and destroy any hope of happiness and joy in the world. Why it goes from happy, light music and visuals to the darkest depths of hell is anyones guess. I think Verizon hired some high school kid to make it.

Giraffes! Giraffes!
post #93 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Where I live, Verizon is crap. I was so glad to be shot of them 2 years ago.

My experience too, with the company. Good riddance.

To some extent, however, it's not their fault -- they are stuck with a dead-end technology (CDMA) that has barely any adherents anywhere else.

4G is their only salvation.
post #94 of 166
Anyone who understands advertising knows that whoever approved this ad belongs out of a job. Absolutely worthless. It makes me throw up a little just thinking of how much was spent for the playoff slots, with an ad that about 4 people watching might almost understand.
post #95 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Analysts have been waiting for precisely this insightful ad before they can advise their clients.....

Brilliant, man!

I have told you numerous times to add me to your ignore list.

iDon't Care What you think.

Ride the Google Wave...

Wait... you can't. Steve won't let you.

Ride the path that Steve lets you with last years parts.

Hey, keep your heads up Apple Fans. You're getting an FM radio. Now that's innovation at it's best.

For so many people that don't care, there sure are a lot of people in the room on a Sunday night telling the other sheep why this is an iFail.

I love the smell of Fear on Football Sunday!
post #96 of 166
Here's a thought: if the cost of ownership/terms for the Droid are pretty much the same as the iPhone (2 year contract that you don't get to break just because Motorola updates the phone at some point, mandatory data plan, etc.) are a lot of people going to start screaming about how Verizon is "raping" their customers and how Motorola "could" make the phone cheaper to own if they wanted to and post endlessly about how their Sprint plan gets them everything they could ever want for $20 a month?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #97 of 166
Quote:

I have told you numerous times to add me to your ignore list.

iDon't Care What you think.

Ride the Google Wave...

Wait... you can't. Steve won't let you.

Ride the path that Steve lets you with last years parts.

Hey, keep your heads up Apple Fans. You're getting an FM radio. Now that's innovation at it's best.

Nah. You're too weirdly interesting to add to my 'ignore' list. I get a kick out of the fairly nonsensical stuff you post.

The only thing that puzzles me is why you even go through the self-inflicted pain of inhabiting this list. Masochism is as masochism does, I suppose.
post #98 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

I also did not think the "There's a map for that" commercials were well done. Like I said, it's their own fault for not jumping on it when they had the chance. Where I live, Verizon is crap. I was so glad to be shot of them 2 years ago.

This may seem weird or petty, but the main reason I won't go with Verizon again is their infuriating voicemail... Two seconds in I hear, 'If you are satisfied with your message...'. I usually end up RANTING into my friends' voicemail after that.

I won't put my friends and family through that which infuriates me.

Chet
post #99 of 166
Quote:

Nah. You're too weirdly interesting to add to my 'ignore' list. I get a kick out of the fairly nonsensical stuff you post.

The only thing that puzzles me is why you even go through the self-inflicted pain of inhabiting this list. Masochism is as masochism does, I suppose.

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who they're going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

The iHate Vendor list is getting pretty long these days.

As soon as my contract is over I'm gone in a Flash.

Edit. You didn't keep the part of my post in your quote that said "I love the Smell of Fear on Football Sunday".
post #100 of 166
All this excitement over a device that does not exist yet -- check out the hyperventilation over at engadget.com: the geeks there are positively giddy... going nuts, in fact (450 posts over the same story!).
post #101 of 166
Quote:

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who their going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

Cool! We amuse each other, then. What's not to like?

Incidentally, you mean Verizon was only just added to the list?!
post #102 of 166
Quote:

Edit. You didn't keep the part of my post in your quote that said "I love the Smell of Fear on Football Sunday".

There, I did. The vagaries of iPhone cut-and-paste...... I am sure you empathize...
post #103 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknite30 View Post

The point is how the companies are controlling how people buy products. Finally Congress is doing something about it, forcing the companies to make a universal plug to fit all phone and headsets. And, what you work for Apple or At&T? Why attack someone for pointing out this exclusive crap? What so companies can make more off everyone? Well the little good Congress does at least they are looking into ending this exclusive contracts.

This "exclusive crap" is helping the iPhone's introduction to the marketplace. How far do you think Apple would have gotten with an "open " phone that cost 100s of dollars more than any one out there. They needed someone to subsidize the initial costs of the phone until the market for the iPhone developed, and no carrier in their right mind would do that without some guarantee of exclusivity so they could benefit as well. Companies must have the right to earn profit, otherwise you will never see R&D invent anything. AT&T stepped up to the plate when no one else did. They deserve some credit for that, imho. The biggest problem, as I see it, is we have become such a spoiled bunch of whiners in this consumer led society .... we want everything .... for nothing ... and we want it now. And the sad part is ... we think this is our right, not our privilege. Sad commentary on today's society.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
post #104 of 166
Quote:

The postings here are amusing to me, I find it calming to watch sheep argue about who they're going to hate today. Add Verizon to the list.

That's just sad.
post #105 of 166
Quote:

Cool! We amuse each other, then. What's not to like?

Incidentally, you mean Verizon was only just added to the list?!

Verizon was going to be the savior for the iTablet that has been rumored for 10 years.

Most people in the room want Verizon added as a second vendor because AT&T is failing so bad in so many areas.
post #106 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Calling it vaporware seems like a desperate attempt to discredit something you (and I) know nothing about. Since you're a regular visitor to this, you're already aware that Verizon announced they'd have an Android phone in the near future. Having seen the commercial, you now know the name (Droid) and the month it will arrive (November). Hardly sounds like vaporware to me.

It's viral marketing, plain and simple. Show an interesting yet confusing commercial, provide a link to a website and see how many people show up. Hardly a revolutionary concept, but obviously effective given how much the technique is used currently. People have learned to tune out standard commercials so they use something that grabs your attention. The "music" at the end is unique enough that it will grab your attention if you're near a TV when it starts.

As if I'm some kind of mindless robot that automatically responds to external noise stimuli. If that's all they've got, and it might be, judging by the silly name "Droid", then they're clueless and they'll fail.

A concatenation of features does not a product make.

So what has made the iPhone a success despite its miserable failings and all that it lacks? That is what the competition continues to be clueless about.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #107 of 166
Quote:

I hated Verizon long before the iphone came out. Has to do with something called a RAZR and the worst POS WinMob phone ever created: The Treo 700w.
post #108 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

What does history have to do with anything? History shows that Apple makes users wait for 3 generations for basic features that other devices have had for years, iPhones and iPods alike. My Verizon phone has features that the iPhone still doesn't have. Bluetooth on the iPhone is practically useless for anything beyond hands free. The physical keyboard on my Verizon phone makes texting and emailing a breeze.

If the iPods and iPhones are so terrible, why are they dominating the marketplace and why is everyone chasing Apple instead of verizon? hmmmm ? And how many generations of verizon POS will it take to come close to what Apple has developed?
post #109 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's just sad.

I was thinking the same thing....
post #110 of 166
Quote:

Verizon was going to be the savior for the iTablet that has been rumored for 10 years.

Most people in the room want Verizon added as a second vendor because AT&T is failing so bad in so many areas.

(i) 'Verizon was'? No. (ii) '10 years'? No. (iii) 'Most people'? No. (iv) 'So many areas?' No.

You're amusing, see?
post #111 of 166
Why? Because ATT's service pricing for the iPhone is ridiculous. It's too expensive. ATT nickle and dimes us for everything. $100 per month is the only option, and I think it should be less than that. Furthermore, you can't have the iPhone on a not data plan. They have me by the balls.

I hope the Droid is a really good phone with really great features and a good pricing plan. I'm sick of ATT's crappy cell service. I get dropped calls way too much. The 3G eats up batterly life like no tomorrow. I like Apple and the iPhone, but Apple is starting to get a bit too big and a bit too powerful for their own good.

They try and control every aspect of your experience, including keeping the OS closed.

If the iPhone were on Verizon or some other network, I would stay 100% with my iPhone, but ATT is really getting on my last nerve.

I want better service, and I believe Verizon has it.
post #112 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Then, you should definitely seek it out, and I have no doubt that you'll be happier. Good luck with Droid.
post #113 of 166
Quote:

(i) 'Verizon was'? No. (ii) '10 years'? No. (iii) 'Most people'? No. (iv) 'So many areas?' No.

You're amusing, see?

Selective Memory? iThink so. There's a map for that if you want to look it up.
post #114 of 166
Strangely reminiscent of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8

So not only are they strange, they're not even original.... Nothing wrong with creating a little prerelease hype, but I feel like this was poorly done.

Also, exclusive handsets are far from the biggest concern in the current cell phone industry. The NY Times had a good article on that very topic here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/te...h/23pogue.html

Basically, I feel like saying that phones should be carrier independent is like saying operating systems should be hardware independent. That would be like me saying that I should be able to run OSx on my old Dell laptop, and Apple should cater to me, because I don't want to buy a Mac. Sometimes exclusivity is a good thing and allows a company to differentiate itself from its competitors. I really feel like this is a non-issue.
post #115 of 166
Quote:

Why? Because ATT's service pricing for the iPhone is ridiculous. It's too expensive. ATT nickle and dimes us for everything. $100 per month is the only option, and I think it should be less than that. Furthermore, you can't have the iPhone on a not data plan. They have me by the balls.

I hope the Droid is a really good phone with really great features and a good pricing plan. I'm sick of ATT's crappy cell service. I get dropped calls way too much. The 3G eats up batterly life like no tomorrow. I like Apple and the iPhone, but Apple is starting to get a bit too big and a bit too powerful for their own good.

They try and control every aspect of your experience, including keeping the OS closed.

If the iPhone were on Verizon or some other network, I would stay 100% with my iPhone, but ATT is really getting on my last nerve.

So I guess you don't realize that Verizon charges pretty much what AT&T charges for smartphone plans?
post #116 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

If the iPods and iPhones are so terrible, why are they dominating the marketplace and why is everyone chasing Apple instead of verizon? hmmmm ? And how many generations of verizon POS will it take to come close to what Apple has developed?

If anything it takes Microsoft 3 generations to get something right: Windows 3.0 (third try), Windows NT (NT5 being the third version of NT to work well), the Zune, Vista (Vista to Vista SP1 to WIn7).
post #117 of 166
Quote:

We don't hate you ... we just feel sorry that you're stuck in such a pathetic life ... big difference!
post #118 of 166
Quote:

Same thing with T-Mobile: $25 internet plan on Android phones or $35 for that and unlimited text. At least Att has a reason; it's so you can use the visual voicemail feature.

Yep, Apple does control everything about the phone. But just because Android is Linux doesn't make it any more open. Oh sure, you can submit whatever app you want, but I don't feel like making Java level apps (someone said they allow OS level development, but no one has proved it with a source).
post #119 of 166
Quote:

I enjoy raining on your propaganda, but both AT&T and Apple will continue to exceed Wall Street estimates.
post #120 of 166
Funny stuff! I wonder what happens with a 3G data connection on the DROID when a cell call comes in? Right now Verizon pauses the data connection until the call is completed. Not because of technical reasons, but simply because this is a restriction Verizon has put on their customers using their 3G network.

Does the DROID get special treatment that other Verizon smartphones don't get?

Or does the DROID not consider a voice call a "simultaneous app"?

I smell an effective iPhone ad on the day the DROID is actually released...

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon sets its sights on Apple, AT&T in ad campaign