or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The White House - Fox News is not a News Channel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The White House - Fox News is not a News Channel - Page 2

post #41 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Quick recap of what went down:

Sammi Jo: "the scientific community has the right to educate people with real facts"

Taskiss: "I'm gonna bring up a wacky hypothesis and use that as an argument against scientists telling people about facts, ignoring the simple matter that what those scientists espoused about the LHC were never put forth as facts."

Me: "Wow, Taskiss never actually refuted anything Sammi Jo said. Taskiss used an unproven hypothesis, one never put forth as scientific fact, as the basis to say that scientists don't have the right to educate people with real facts."

Taskiss: "I'm going to use my amazing powers to now make the argument about BR instead of how I deftly used fallacious reasoning to counter Sammi's point, got caught, and refuse to admit it. In fact, even after BR responds again pointing this out again, I'm again going to again somehow make the argument about BR and then make some sort of wry comment about his intelligence."

LOL!!

Add to that Noah: "Climate is changing in the opposite direction of what scientists think!! I am just going to say something radical with no source citation to see if it sticks, mmkay? Oh and Fox News is not bad because I know they did one fact check one time I was watching... oh but I don't watch Fox News!! Woo hoo yay me! Tomorrow I am going to my appointment with the local psychiatric hospital."
post #42 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by buceta View Post

LOL!!

Add to that Noah: "Climate is changing in the opposite direction of what scientists think!! I am just going to say something radical with no source citation to see if it sticks, mmkay? Oh and Fox News is not bad because I know they did one fact check one time I was watching... oh but I don't watch Fox News!! Woo hoo yay me! Tomorrow I am going to my appointment with the local psychiatric hospital."

Birds of a feather, eh buceta? Careful, you know what happens when you lie with dogs...

What would you do if you couldn't make up what someone else said?
post #43 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss

Nicely done! You've reduced your argument to consist entirely of logical fallacy!

I'm glad I could join your ranks. And now I'm really done.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #44 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I'm glad I could join your ranks. And now I'm really done.



Unlike the "other" done... where you weren't actually done? How about a "really REALLY done"? Going to go for that?

post #45 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buceta View Post

LOL!!

Add to that Noah: "Climate is changing in the opposite direction of what scientists think!! I am just going to say something radical with no source citation to see if it sticks, mmkay? Oh and Fox News is not bad because I know they did one fact check one time I was watching... oh but I don't watch Fox News!! Woo hoo yay me! Tomorrow I am going to my appointment with the local psychiatric hospital."

In order to watch Fox News one would have to have cable and get the channel. I don't and therefore cannot.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #46 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

In order to watch Fox News one would have to have cable and get the channel. I don't and therefore cannot.

Go get it man! You can have Fox for only $29.99 a mo. But wait! If you order now...
post #47 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

If you are right, then that is a shameful tactic. Enacting a huge new government program by deception under the noses of the people that elected them. How could you be okay with that? Because it happens to be a program you want? What will you do when they enact one you don't want by similar means?

What, like a war in Iraq?
post #48 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I don't agree with that. Their news coverage is far more balanced than their competitors. You may find some conservative slant, but not in the proportions one finds liberal slant and outright bias on the other networks.

Now, their opinion and analysis shows (O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity specifically) are clearly conservative. The difference is (as you say) they don't pretend to be anything by conservative (notice I didn't say "Republican.") They also have many liberal guests on their shows, even if they are berating them at times (that means you, Mr. O'Reilly and Hannity)

Then you frankly have your head in the sand. The media has supported liberal causes since the days of LBJ. We could be here all day citing examples, from withholding legit stories, to making up illegitimate stories...from editorializing the "news," to "gotcha" interviews with conservative politicians. The list goes on.

Fair enough. But the bottom line.. is that the corporate media, sponsored by advertising dollars, cannot be a transparent and unbiased purveyor of news. Its very nature prevents it. Very often, newsworthy events that reflects badly on any of its life-giving providers are either downplayed or excised, for obvious reasons. And since the people who own and direct the corporates which provide the funding for the major news disseminators tend to be politically conservative, it isn't a leap to conclude that the mission of large media organizations tend towards politically conservative stances. Furthermore, the large media corporations (directorially) are closely connected to defense contractors, military and intelligence agencies etc etc, which also tend towards the politically ultraconservative.... there is no argument here. There is no "conspiracy" as such.. (before anybody gets off on the 5th grade stuff).... this is the nature of the beast. How often does one see the major media networks do groundbreaking investigative journalism? The fox, when investigating the henhouse, tends to keep matters in-house.

Some of the slack has been taken up by the alternative media which as we all know, have jumped on material censored or denied by the corporates. The alternatives (of course) have their own problems, not the least being that their relative small size means an inability to station correspondents and reporters all over the planet, as do CNN and the like. However, stories published by the smaller alternative or "boutique" media are not necessarily less truthful.

Having railed about the built-in biases that afflict corporate, privately owned news broadcasting (more especially of the dinosaur variety), when such services are taken up by government... nuff said.

Quote:
What, pray tell, is the "war agenda?"

Yikes! Despite the fact that the US is blessed with being geographically in the most secure area on the planet... (to the South is Mexico, relatively friendly since 1848, to the North is Canada, with whom the US has never been at war, while to the East and West are thousands of miles of open ocean).... since WWII, we've overthrown 20 foreign governments, many of them freely elected democracies, and been involved in at least six assassinations of foreign heads of state. Since WWII, we have dropped bombs on 23 countries. We have been at war with somebody or other, on a more or less continuous basis for the last 100 years, having gotten militarily involved in more than 100 campaigns throughout the world in that time period.

Of course there is a "war agenda", and its got nothing to do with party politics.. the bloodbath is independent of which party has a majority in Congress, or who happens to be sitting in the White House (legitimately or otherwise). And the number of times that we have gotten into wars for "national security" reasons is a very tiny proportion of the total. Since WWII, our economy has become so dependent upon militarism that it comes as little surprise that wars are started in order to feed the coffers of those who depend on conflict and its numerous related industries and spin-offs. Again, its the nature of what we have become... we need it like an addict requires a fix. It's a case of following the money, as always.

Quote:
I don't support the "bailout," though I'd like to know where you got the figure "17 trillion" from. Unfunded obligations, perhaps?

The worst case scenario comes to about $23 trillion. By the end of March 2009, this Bloomberg article reports the cost as approaching $13 Trillion A yera ago, the figure was around $7.36 Trillion. Another estimate from 10 months ago puts the heist at around $13.7 Trillion, which includes the Fannie/Freddie rescue. Socialism for Wall Street how exceeds the total cost of every war and major program, adjusted for inflation, that the US has gotten involved in...

Quote:
As for the "corporate crime" that "characterized the Bush Administration," that's just silly. It existed, but it didn't characterize the administration. They didn't cause it and cannot be tied to it. Please tell me you're not going to go the jimmacian route of crying "deregulation!." Say it ain't so.

During the Bush administration years, either corporate crime took a huge leap, or they just got lax about it and ended up getting busted?

Quote:
AHHHHHH! No! There it is. Anyway...I'd like to know how you believe "deregulation" caused the media to behave it is today. Is it relaxed ownership rules, for example?

The media, especially radio, was decimated by the Clinton 1996 deregulation which allowed for monopolization by a few very large and powerful companies, in effect eliminating competition. This was a prime example of how predatory capitalism, working hand-in-hand with with big government, destroys free enterprise.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #49 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post

What, like a war in Iraq?

Thank you for making my point so eloquently. The similarities are stark according to his scenario.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #50 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Go get it man! You can have Fox for only $29.99 a mo. But wait! If you order now...

Let me know what's on from time to time. I have better things to do than watch TV all day...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #51 of 244
Maybe Fox should fact check a few SNL skits to get back in good graces with the White House?
post #52 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Maybe Fox should fact check a few SNL skits to get back in good graces with the White House?

Or maybe a Leno monlogue or two?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #53 of 244
Projection TV: Real Americans Watch Fox News

A focus-group study by Democracy Corps explains that Republican base voters live in "a world apart from the rest of America."

The Tea Parties of August already made that pretty clear.

Republican base voters believe themselves to be an oppressed minority that possesses "knowledge and insight that the majority of Americans -- whether too lazy or too misguided to find it for themselves -- do not possess." And -- surprise -- they get their special knowledge and insight largely from Fox News.

In 1999, Al Franken wrote the same thing. During the Clinton health care debate, the Annenberg School for Communications found that conservative talk radio listeners judged themselves the most informed on the topic. Testing, however, revealed that they were the least informed.

Franken wondered,

Quote:
But why would people so woefully lacking in the basic facts of an issue think they were the best informed? Social scientists call the phenomenon "pseudo-certainty." I call it "being a f*#king moron."

According to Democracy Corps, four core beliefs set the Republican base apart:

Quote:
1. Deception and a Hidden Agenda -- "Obama is deliberately and ruthlessly advancing a 'secret agenda' to bankrupt our country and dramatically expand government control over all aspects of our daily lives."

2. Speed -- Obama is implementing change rapidly to keep ordinary Americans from knowing what he is doing.

3. Driving Government to the Brink and Total Control -- Obama is deliberately trying to burden America with so much debt that citizens will be unable to resist efforts to implement Obama's ultimate plan ...

4. The Ultimate Goal: Socialism and an End to Liberties -- Government takeover of health care is just the first step towards a complete suppression of liberty by our inefficient, ineffective and corrupt government.



It is a pretty stunning case of projection, as one of Andrew Sullivan's readers suggests:

Quote:
[Obama] is the out of control spender when they sat on their hands through all of Bush's malfeasance. That is why his talking to schoolchildren is dangerous when our government wiretapping its citizens wasn't. That is why saving the financial system from years of Republican regulation is taking away our future. The more evil revealed about the right's excesses on torture, or wars of choice, or nearly destroying the economy, the more evil Obama will look in their eyes, as they cannot tolerate owning responsibility, because in their own minds they are only good.


Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-su..._b_325386.html
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #54 of 244
Wow, that is a surprise, a "focus group" from Democracy Corp finding something wrong with Republicans.

Here is a link to something not written by Al Franken a decade ago.


Limbaugh listeners were certainly not the most well informed but they were well above MSNBC/Daily Show and Colbert Report viewers. The bottom three were National Enquirer, Access Weekly and CBS News. The summary overall in my opinion is that anyone who watches the news get fed to them on the boob tube, no matter the slant or source ends up lower overall.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #55 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Projection TV: Real Americans Watch Fox News

A focus-group study by Democracy Corps explains that Republican base voters live in "a world apart from the rest of America."

The Tea Parties of August already made that pretty clear.

Republican base voters believe themselves to be an oppressed minority that possesses "knowledge and insight that the majority of Americans -- whether too lazy or too misguided to find it for themselves -- do not possess." And -- surprise -- they get their special knowledge and insight largely from Fox News.

In 1999, Al Franken wrote the same thing. During the Clinton health care debate, the Annenberg School for Communications found that conservative talk radio listeners judged themselves the most informed on the topic. Testing, however, revealed that they were the least informed.

Franken wondered,



According to Democracy Corps, four core beliefs set the Republican base apart:



It is a pretty stunning case of projection, as one of Andrew Sullivan's readers suggests:




Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-su..._b_325386.html

Quote:
Republican base voters believe themselves to be an oppressed minority that possesses "knowledge and insight that the majority of Americans -- whether too lazy or too misguided to find it for themselves -- do not possess." And -- surprise -- they get their special knowledge and insight largely from Fox News.



Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-su..._b_325386.html

Yes special knowledge!

Here's a great example :

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200907270040

I love this comment :
Quote:
Now that's what I call liberating a country. It's not even there any more.



Just like any other wacko, crackpot group I've read about in my lifetime. The shocking thing here is that it represents the base of the other half of our political system! Fortunately the voters aren't that stupid and don't buy it. The Neocons have run their course. They just don't know it ...... yet.

Gotta love that FOX News ( NOT! ).

They'll find ( eventually ) that they'll have to drop all of that and come back to reality in order to get back on the saddle.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #56 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Projection TV: Real Americans Watch Fox News

A focus-group study by Democracy Corps explains that Republican base voters live in "a world apart from the rest of America."

You must not have actually read the study you are referring to. There were 2 study groups, self-identifying Republicans and self-identifying Independents. The Republicans (not sure how many, it appears that the folks were hand picked for conform to some specific criteria) were sure dedicated to Fox, but the interesting part was the position taken by the Independents.

Quote:
They view FOX News as another media outlet, decidedly conservative in its point of view but no more or less biased than any other media outlet; their assumption is that every outlet has a bias that reflects the interests of its own bottom line. FOX is no different...

The study you use for evidence doesn't support the conclusion you seem to suggest it does.
post #57 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

You must not have actually read the study you are referring to. There were 2 study groups, self-identifying Republicans and self-identifying Independents. The Republicans (not sure how many, it appears that the folks were hand picked for conform to some specific criteria) were sure dedicated to Fox, but the interesting part was the position taken by the Independents.



The study you use for evidence doesn't support the conclusion you seem to suggest it does.

Quote:
it appears that the folks were hand picked for conform to some specific criteria

Where did you get that? Just curious.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #58 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Where did you get that? Just curious.

From the published report of the study, pages 1 and 2. -

Quote:
1) The Cleveland groups comprised of white, non-college weak partisans or independents – defined as self-identifying ‘weak’ Democrats or Republicans, Democratic- or Republican-leaning independents, and non-partisan independents (those who do not affiliate closer with either party). Additionally, we examined combined data from Democracy Corps surveys conducted over the last four months that show Republicans enjoy a 17-point partisan identification advantage with this group. These voters also self-report to have voted for John McCain by a 20-point margin in the 2008 election.

2) These voters are white, “strong” or “weak” Republicans who ideologically self-identify as conservative or moderate and who voted for John McCain AND the Republican congressional candidate in 2008. The groups, conducted in Atlanta, Georgia, were comprised of voters aged 45-60, with one group of women and one of men.

3) Our combined survey data reveals that the Georgia group definition fits more than three-quarters (77 percent) of conservative strong or weak Republicans of the 45-60 age group, and an even higher proportion – 85 percent – of white strong Republicans of the same age.

They cherry picked a bunch of folks to create the "groups", it's certainly not a random selection by any stretch of the imagination.

They say that they picked white, non-college, etc, etc, etc, then combined other data from surveys, etc, etc, etc, sorted by age, then picked only those that voted for John McCain AND the Republican congressional candidate in 2008.

It looks to me that they picked responses they wanted and then backtracked to certain individuals, then created from that hand picked few a demographic profile - a "group" - to aggregate survey responses from. Looks like a classic case of drawing a curve then picking the data points.
post #59 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

From the published report of the study, pages 1 and 2. -

They cherry picked a bunch of folks to create the "groups", it's certainly not a random selection by any stretch of the imagination.

They say that they picked white, non-college, etc, etc, etc, then combined other data from surveys, etc, etc, etc, sorted by age, then picked only those that voted for John McCain AND the Republican congressional candidate in 2008.

It looks to me that they picked responses they wanted and then backtracked to certain individuals, then created from that hand picked few a demographic profile - a "group" - to aggregate survey responses from. Looks like a classic case of drawing a curve then picking the data points.

It looks to me like they picked the base.

Here's part of the exact quote :
Quote:
The Cleveland groups comprised of white, non-college weak partisans or independents defined as selfidentifying
weak Democrats or Republicans, Democratic- or Republican-leaning independents, and non-partisan
independents (those who do not affiliate closer with either party). Additionally, we examined combined data from

And

Quote:
Democracy Corps surveys conducted over the last four months that show Republicans enjoy a 17-point partisan
identification advantage with this group. These voters also self-report to have voted for John McCain by a 20-point
margin in the 2008 election.
2 These voters are white, strong or weak Republicans who ideologically self-identify as conservative or moderate
and who voted for John McCain AND the Republican congressional candidate in 2008. The groups, conducted
in Atlanta, Georgia, were comprised of voters aged 45-60, with one group of women and one of men.
3 Our combined survey data reveals that the Georgia group definition fits more than three-quarters (77 percent) of
conservative strong or weak Republicans of the 45-60 age group, and an even higher proportion 85 percent of
white strong Republicans of the same age.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #60 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It looks to me like they picked the base.

Check out somewhere how many Republicans are just "non-college". You can't pick a base from a minority of the demographic (Republicans as a whole), and that's just one of their defining criteria. They further diminished the representation of the average Republican when they eliminated non-whites and focused on just a narrow age range.

They wanted to profile just the folks that make the case they wanted to make.
post #61 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Looks like a classic case of drawing a curve then picking the data points.

Becoming quite the "scientific method" of the new millennium!
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #62 of 244
When I took statistics I learned that "data mining" was bad. But then computer geeks ran a bunch of data really fast and now "data mining" is good.
post #63 of 244
post #64 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Obama lost a battle today.

Administration Loses Bid to Exclude Fox News From Pay Czar Interview

Naw! Say it ain't so!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #65 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Naw! Say it ain't so!

You are actually ok with these tactics from the administration?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #66 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You are actually ok with these tactics from the administration?

Of course he is. jimmac is perfectly happy to have the President of the United States decree what is and is not a legitimate news organization. He's perfectly happy to have the White House drive a wedge between Fox and other news outlets.
post #67 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You are actually ok with these tactics from the administration?

Look at where the report came from.

I can understand why they'd want an organization excluded when they clearly lie about most everything political.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #68 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Of course he is. jimmac is perfectly happy to have the President of the United States decree what is and is not a legitimate news organization. He's perfectly happy to have the White House drive a wedge between Fox and other news outlets.

But Floorjack you've been reading this thread. Clearly he's not the only one who feels that way.

As far as news goes they're more of a comedy channel. Yes it's gotten that bad with them.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #69 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

But Floorjack you've been reading this thread. Clearly he's not the only one who feels that way.

As far as news goes they're more of a comedy channel. Yes it's gotten that bad with them.

Clearly the other News Channels don't agree with you. What does that say about them?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_331437.html
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #70 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Clearly the other News Channels don't agree with you. What does that say about them?

They must be un-American too.
post #71 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Clearly the other News Channels don't agree with you. What does that say about them?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_331437.html

Oh look!
Quote:
UPDATE: Politico reported this afternoon that it was primarily the Treasury Department that was in charge of arranging whether or not Fox News would attend the round of interviews with "pay czar" Kenneth Feinberg, as opposed to the White House.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_331437.html


But I'm sure FAUX News would try to make the most of this! They need the ratings!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #72 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Oh look!


But I'm sure FAUX News would try to make the most of this! They need the ratings!

Follow the trail of links to the sources. The last link on the last source says:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/treas...om-interviews/
Quote:
Update: The CBS Evening News ran a segment on this story tonight, including a snippet of a Chip Reid White House standup in which Reid says, “All the networks said that’s it, you’ve crossed the line.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMiqIW5e1Q

Give it a good watch and then tell me how CBS is making it all up too.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #73 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Oh look!


But I'm sure FAUX News would try to make the most of this! They need the ratings!

Dogma, it is what's for dinner I guess.

Huffpo - Fox News Dominates

Quote:
Fox News has pulled off another dominant quarter, claiming the top 10 cable news programs in 3Q 2009 and growing against 3Q 2008, while CNN and MSNBC lost substantial portions of their election-boom audience.

Fox News averaged 2.25 million total viewers in prime time for the third quarter, up 2% over the previous year. That's more than CNN (946,000, down 30%) and MSNBC (788,000, down 10%) combined.

Maybe it it is repeated enough, it won't be true right? The channel that has more viewers than the other two combined really isn't a news channel. It really doesn't have viewers. It really doesn't exist. Their questions really don't count. The concerns raised really aren't relevant.

You're getting very sleepy and desire more hope and change.. more hope and change.... more...

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #74 of 244
Thread Starter 
Since we all care what Europe thinks of the president and his administration:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ita-dunn-msnbc
Quote:
Fox wins, Obama loses

None of the US cable networks are unbiased. Demonising Fox News has succeeded only in hurting the White House

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...inst-fox-news/
Quote:
The White House’s extraordinary assault on the Fox News Channel will end in tears – and not for Rupert Murdoch, Fox’s owner. The Obama administration has embarked on a high-risk strategy of shooting the messenger, in effect blaming its plummeting poll ratings on alleged political bias at the number one 24-hour cable news network.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #75 of 244
And trump I would add, reaching out to and communicating with fox viewers is not worthwhile but holding them up for scorn and alienating them is worthwhile.
post #76 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Follow the trail of links to the sources. The last link on the last source says:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/treas...om-interviews/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMiqIW5e1Q

Give it a good watch and then tell me how CBS is making it all up too.

I never said they were. As a matter of fact I'd expect this reaction from the networks. No one likes their group to be excluded ( even if it is the black sheep of the family ). And your point from all this is?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #77 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Since we all care what Europe thinks of the president and his administration:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ita-dunn-msnbc


http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...inst-fox-news/

Yeah this Gardiner ( who's appeared on FOX ) sounds like a real FOX fan :
Quote:
Fox News has succeeded spectacularly in racing ahead of its rivals in the cable news market, notably CNN and MSNBC. Its evening shows – such as the O’Reilly Factor, Glenn Beck and Hannity – pull in several million viewers compared to just hundreds of thousands on Fox’s competitors. Fox offers a highly opinionated, fast-paced and entertaining brand of political debate that includes all sides of the political aisle. The top hosts may be largely conservative (though not necessarily Republican), but the guests frequently are not, creating an adversarial and combative arena that until recently was a rarity in American news coverage.



Your Youtube report also goes on to show how many presidents have a contemptous relationship with the news networks in the past.

Also from the video :
Quote:
There's no question Fox's primetime voices come from the right

Quote:
It's owner Ruport Murdock is a staunch conservative and it's first and only CEO is a veteran of Republican media wars

Their ratings have gone up since Obama's been in office ( also from your video ) hence my ratings mention.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #78 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I never said they were. As a matter of fact I'd expect this reation from the networks. No one likes their group to be excluded ( even if it is the black sheep of the family ). And your point from all this is?

If you don't understand my point by now you either cannot or will not. I am not going to discuss it further.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #79 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

If you don't understand my point by now you either cannot or will not. I am not going to discuss it further.

" Well if you don't know I'm just not going to tell you ".

I heard that one in 3rd grade. Usually used by someone who didn't have a real argument.

Geez!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #80 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

" Well if you don't know I'm just not going to tell you ".

I heard that one in 3rd grade. Usually used by someone who didn't have a real argument.

Geez!

Must be difficult reliving that childhood of yours...

I have made my point repeatedly with you in many threads... Rather than agreeing to disagree or even trying to see the other side your method is to alter the discussion just enough to barb or jab one more time. Sorry, I am all out of new ways to say the same thing to you. When you are prepared to actually engage in a conversation with a modicum of respect for another viewpoint I am willing to continue. I just don't see it happening in this conversation. Just like it did not happen in a few others I have had with you. No biggie. If it makes you feel better, you can win too. Congratulations. I don't want to talk with you right now. WINNER! \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The White House - Fox News is not a News Channel