or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones

post #1 of 101
Thread Starter 
Apple said Monday that fourth-quarter profits rose more than 46 percent to 1.67 billion, or $1.82 per diluted share, on sales of $9.87 billion for the three-month period ended September 26, 2009.

These results compare to revenue of $7.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.14 billion, or $1.26 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.6 percent, up from 34.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple sold 3.05 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 17 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone sales were 7.4 million, representing seven percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.

"We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any previous quarter," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."

In accordance with the subscription accounting treatment required by GAAP, the Company recognizes revenue and cost of goods sold for iPhone and Apple TV over their estimated economic lives. Adjusting GAAP sales and product costs to eliminate the impact of subscription accounting, the corresponding non-GAAP measures* for the quarter are $12.25 billion of "Adjusted Sales" and $2.85 billion of "Adjusted Net Income."

"We are delighted with our September quarter and fiscal 2009 results," said Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer. "For the full year, we grew revenue by 12 percent and net income by 18 percent in extraordinarily challenging times. Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue in the range of about $11.3 billion to $11.6 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $1.70 to $1.78."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2009 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime, Apple's standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT. AppleInsider will provide live coverage.
post #2 of 101
The market likes it. AAPL up nearly 5% after hours.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #3 of 101
Another "rounding error", Mr. Ballmer?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #4 of 101
Impressive results as always, I wonder how many Apple TV's were sold.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #5 of 101
Dang!
post #6 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Impressive results as always, I wonder how many Apple TV's were sold.

Doesn't matter with results like that. Who cares?
post #7 of 101
As Strongbad would say... Holy crap!
post #8 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple said Monday that fourth-quarter profits rose more than 46 percent to 1.67 billion, or $1.82 per diluted share, on sales of $9.87 billion for the three-month period ended September 26, 2009.

These results compare to revenue of $7.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.14 billion, or $1.26 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.6 percent, up from 34.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple sold 3.05 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 17 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 10.2 million iPods during the quarter, representing an eight percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone sales were 7.4 million, representing seven percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.

"We are thrilled to have sold more Macs and iPhones than in any previous quarter," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."

In accordance with the subscription accounting treatment required by GAAP, the Company recognizes revenue and cost of goods sold for iPhone and Apple TV over their estimated economic lives. Adjusting GAAP sales and product costs to eliminate the impact of subscription accounting, the corresponding non-GAAP measures* for the quarter are $12.25 billion of "Adjusted Sales" and $2.85 billion of "Adjusted Net Income."

"We are delighted with our September quarter and fiscal 2009 results," said Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer. "For the full year, we grew revenue by 12 percent and net income by 18 percent in extraordinarily challenging times. Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue in the range of about $11.3 billion to $11.6 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $1.70 to $1.78."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2009 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime, Apple's standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PDT. AppleInsider will provide live coverage.

The Mac sales are amazing.

I also wonder how many phones they could have sold if they could keep up with demand, such as in Italy, where the vendor, selling 20,000 a month, said they could have had doubled sales for the period, another 60,000 for the quarter from them alone.
post #9 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've got a very strong lineup for the holiday season and some really great new products in the pipeline for 2010."

C'mon Steve, buddy ol' pal??!! Do tell! What's in that pipeline?!
post #10 of 101
Who cares? Get onto talking about the new iMacs!!!
post #11 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

C'mon Steve, buddy ol' pal??!! Do tell! What's in that pipeline?!

2010? Nothing more for this year? Make it not be true.
post #12 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhkim View Post

Who cares?

Stockholders?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #13 of 101
Record Mac sales. Record everything. But hardly a surprise.
post #14 of 101
Shouldn't this read third quarter profits? What are you going to report about in January, Apple's fifth quarter profits?
post #15 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

Shouldn't this read third quarter profits? What are you going to report about in January, Apple's fifth quarter profits?

No, Apple's fiscal year ends in September.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #16 of 101
Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

iPhone growth is a little disappointing. Smartphones, and especially the iPhone, have grown accustomed to large double digit growth figures. Perhaps it's a wider industry trend though.
post #17 of 101
I really wonder what a "very strong lineup for the holiday season" is or will be!
post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhkim View Post

Who cares? Get onto talking about the new iMacs!!!

Sometimes it does seem more like AppleStockholdersInsider around here but we won't hold it against them.
They're fine for the most part until they get obnoxious and can't comprehend anything from a consumers point of view.
post #19 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The market likes it. AAPL up nearly 5% after hours.

It topped 7% ($203.xx)
http://www.google.com/finance?q=aapl
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The Mac sales are amazing.

I also wonder how many phones they could have sold if they could keep up with demand, such as in Italy, where the vendor, selling 20,000 a month, said they could have had doubled sales for the period, another 60,000 for the quarter from them alone.

17% increase in Mac sales is great, but I was surprised that the iPhone sales were only up 7%. I hadnt realized they had supply issues.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

I really wonder what a "very strong lineup for the holiday season" is or will be!

Go to the Apple Store and that appears to be it. The holiday season really began Oct 1st for retail so I don't know why they would release anything more so late at this point.
post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

17% increase in Mac sales is great, but I was surprised that the iPhone sales were only up 7%. I hadn’t realized they had supply issues.

?? Don't you READ the AppleInsider rather than post?
post #22 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

I think more people are looking for long-term value, reliability, and lower total cost of ownership.

Personally, I'm willing to pay more up front for a computer that will save me time and money (and headaches) long-term.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #23 of 101
Hhmmm. Predicts EPS for the Christmas quarter to be *lower* than the one just past. Really? REALLY ???

Oh wait, maybe he's adjusting for the huge Win 7 uptake <sarcasm/>
post #24 of 101
Very impressive - not just the numbers, but the margin. Who wants to sell 20 million computers a quarter with a 2% margin when you can do this.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I think more people are looking for long-term value, reliability, and lower total cost of ownership.

Personally, I'm willing to pay more up front for a computer that will save me time and money (and headaches) long-term.

More like new MacBook pros were recently released?
Return of Matte - 15"!!!
Return of Firewire on the 13"
post #26 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

2010? Nothing more for this year? Make it not be true.

Fiscal 2009 ended in September. Fiscal 2010 is already upon us. Do you honestly think that SJ would pass up all that Christmas loot and wait until January 2010 to release the new iMacs?
post #27 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The Mac sales are amazing.

I also wonder how many phones they could have sold if they could keep up with demand, such as in Italy, where the vendor, selling 20,000 a month, said they could have had doubled sales for the period, another 60,000 for the quarter from them alone.

I agree.

It's funny how the media loves to jump all over Apple when they make a mistake, but this really quite dramatic shortage problem they have been having has been almost swept under the rug. It is at best, under-reported.

Apple did a kind of dastardly thing here. They made sure that the USA had stock of the 3Gs and a few other places, and then screwed over everyone else royally. I find it ironic and dumb that almost no US coverage has been given to this huge failure on Apple's part, just because Apple made sure that the US reviewers and customers all got their phones?!

Are analysts really that dumb? Apple also wins awards for their supply chain handling fairly regularly, so it's a great little story that they have screwed up so bad on the 3Gs.

The US based tech analysts should lift up there heads once in a while and look at the rest of the world. There has been close to zero stock of the iPhone 3Gs in Canada, Australia, and a lot of other countries all year long. I, and a lot of people who were champing at the bit to get one in August, have already given up and are waiting for the next model (and for Apple's supply chain issues to sort themselves out).

There must have been an absolutely huge number of lost sales world-wide due to these shortages and other supply chain screwups.
post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Fiscal 2009 ended in September. Fiscal 2010 is already upon us. Do you honestly think that SJ would pass up all that Christmas loot and wait until January 2010 to release the new iMacs?

Funny- did he say Fiscal 2010? Did I miss that? It reads like he's implying the holiday season and 2010 are 2 different things. He would have stated Fiscal 2010 including holiday season if your interpretation is to be valid.
post #29 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Very impressive - not just the numbers, but the margin. Who wants to sell 20 million computers a quarter with a 2% margin when you can do this.


That does seem to be the exact point that is often missing when folks go toe-to-toe on market share, etc.

Earning more for selling less always made my accountant and banker happy.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #30 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It topped 7% ($203.xx)

Yup, I know. That of course was only as I posted. This is after hours trading though, so we'll see how much of it sticks at the opening tomorrow. FWIW, the highest previous close for AAPL was 199.83 on December 28, 2007.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #31 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

There was that price cut in Mac prices. When was that, just before this last quarter started? I'm sure that helped, and it certainly doesn't seem to be hurting their margins any.
post #32 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yup, I know. That of course was only as I posted. This is after hours trading though, so we'll see how much of it sticks at the opening tomorrow. FWIW, the highest previous close for AAPL was 199.83 on December 28, 2007.

Yeah, its a bit of an empty victory to look at after hours trading, but often the stock was dropping after the announcement despite record sales. "Buy on rumour, sell on fact was in effect. Perhaps Apple will announce a Mac Special Event on Thursday for next Tuesday. A little late, but with Win7 dropping perhaps waiting until right afterward its release is the best move. Seems like a good time to release a new product, not just updated product.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 101
Apple is doomed!
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Reply
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Reply
post #34 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Stockholders?

Raises hand over here.
post #35 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Raises hand over here.

I have 200 shares bought at 12.+ the day before the macworld expo when microsoft announced their $400mm dollar investment / settlement with apple, that day the stock passed 30, I still have those shares .. now split I'm a happy boy.
post #36 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

2010? Nothing more for this year? Make it not be true.

You misinterpreted the article.

Steve said they have a great holiday season line-up. That could easily contain new products. Nothing new in "fiscal year 2009" (because it's already over for them), but still possibly new products in the actual year of 2009.

He also mentions new products in 2010, but a reductionist/absolutist like yourself probably reads that as the reverse (no new products in 2009), when in fact, one doesn't exclude the other.
post #37 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

iPhone growth is a little disappointing. Smartphones, and especially the iPhone, have grown accustomed to large double digit growth figures. Perhaps it's a wider industry trend though.

Apple has had shortages in iPhones in a number of countries this past quarter, which in the conference call, going on now, they said was only relieved in September-October.

So they could possibly have sold 7.750,000 phones if that were not the case.

But it could lead to pent up demand that will be relieved the December quarter, which we're in now.
post #38 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sometimes it does seem more like AppleStockholdersInsider around here but we won't hold it against them.
They're fine for the most part until they get obnoxious and can't comprehend anything from a consumers point of view.

Well, it's both.

More consumers are pleased with the products, which results in rising sales and stock prices.

What's the problem?
post #39 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

17% increase in Mac sales is great, but I was surprised that the iPhone sales were only up 7%. I hadnt realized they had supply issues.

In a number of countries.
post #40 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You misinterpreted the article.

Steve said they have a great holiday season line-up. That could easily contain new products. Nothing new in "fiscal year 2009" (because it's already over for them), but still possibly new products in the actual year of 2009.

He also mentions new products in 2010, but a reductionist/absolutist like yourself probably reads that as the reverse (no new products in 2009), when in fact, one doesn't exclude the other.

To be fair, most people don't make comments about product releases in terms of fiscal years - and Steve's sentences were quite clearly delineating between the holiday season lineup and the 2010 lineup.

It's reasonable to interpret that as very likely meaning; no new products in the calendar year of 2009.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones