or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete

post #1 of 100
Thread Starter 
As smartphone companies attempt to catch up with the first-generation iPhone, Apple executive Tim Cook said during Monday's earnings report that his company remains multiple steps ahead of its competitors.

"Frankly I think people are trying to catch up with the first iPhone two years ago," Cook said. "We've long since moved beyond that."

Apple was faced with outstanding demand for the iPhone 3GS during the September quarter -- something that even caught the hardware maker by surprise. Cook admitted that the company was forced to change its orders for components in response to consumer needs.

"I think it shows there is an intense appetite for Apple's latest technology," he said, "and we were very pleased with the result."

After the iPhone debuted in 2007, competitors rushed to emulate the touchscreen capabilities of the device. So far, numerous competitors have emerged, but all have failed to capture the buzz of the iPhone.

Google's smartphone OS has made attempts to chip away at the iPhone share, but so far has been largely unsuccessful. The latest Android handset attempting to steal some of the iPhone's buzz is the Motorola Droid, which was leaked in pictures Monday. Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said his company is not concerned by any of the competitors' offerings they have seen thus far.

"We are continuing to focus on delivering state-of-the-art products at price points our competitors can't match," Oppenheimer said, "and will provide increasing value to our customers."

During the last quarter, Apple sold 7.4 million iPhones, a record setting pace that was 7 percent higher than the same period in 2008. It amounted to $2.297 billion revenue.

Sales are predicted to grow even further, as the device launches in China on Oct. 30. It will start with 1,000 points of sale and expand further over the next several months.

The average sale price of the iPhone in the fourth quarter was just over $600, a number that reflects a mix of high iPhone 3GS sales.

In addition, over 50 percent of the Fortune 100 are deploying a pilot program of the iPhone, Apple announced Monday, and over 350 higher education institutions have approved iPhones for students and faculty.
post #2 of 100
Not on Wifi though.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 100
This seems like spin to me, seems like other folks are catching up.

I can only hope this is the dawn of multi processing on the iPhone, and many other goodies to come!
post #4 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...The average sale price of the iPhone in the fourth quarter was just over $600, a number that reflects a mix of high iPhone 3GS sales.....

They calculate that average to include subsidies, right? If so, what's the published number for that? Or if not, how is it calculated? It's confusing to see a $600 average price for a phone that has 3 models that sell (in the US) for $99 to $299. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario for $600...
post #5 of 100
That's all good and well, but I ask when will my iPhone finally..

1. Receive a much needed display update... 480 x 800 is now the norm on the most advanced smartphones these days. (Note: 2.5 times the 320 x 480 of the iPhone 3GS).

2. Attain acceptable battery life... 3 to 4.5 hour of talk time is what mine gets - at best.

3. Allow multi-tasking of the apps I've installed, as opposed to only those 2 or 3 of Apple's choosing.

4. Update that archaic grid-based GUI, that looks like the 3 year old design it is.

Understand, Apps are nice, but the iPhone still lacks much of the core smartphone functionality that numerous non-Apple units have had for years already.

Stop resting on your laurels Apple and Step It Up... The iPhone is hardly State Of The Art Any Longer.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #6 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Update that archaic grid-based GUI, that looks like the 3 year old design it is.

Yeah -- down with pesky dino grids! Apple should just throw all the buttons in random places and let us try to find them like Easter eggs. Better yet, give them all exotic animal shapes that change every time you turn on the phone. That would be different!
post #7 of 100
It's funny. I was just talking with my fellow iPhone users at work and we're all more than satisfied with the device. Call us "fanboys" or whatever, but none of us can think of a device we've had recently that fits the bill so perfectly, even without the whiny requirements that DaHarder wants.

The iPhone IS state of the art. If not, what is? Offer us a few others that are more so?
post #8 of 100
And the funniest thing is the posters on tech sites who say "what a fool" Tim Cook is because the iPhone doesn't have a higher resolution or a filesystem exposed to the users or multi-tasking or "open" development and it took years for copy and paste to arrive

And they think they're proving Apple wrong. And they think they're proving Tim Cook wrong. But really all they're proving is they still don't get it in the way Apple got it three years ago

It's not only about the features, it's about the experience.
post #9 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Stop resting on your laurels Apple and Step It Up... The iPhone is hardly State Of The Art Any Longer.

It seems a bit like you've missed out on the core focuses that enable Apple products to become so successful. Apple designs products for the masses—products which almost everyone can pick up, use, and enjoy.

What are you going to do with a 480x800 display? It would be foolish to make the device larger, so instead all the existing content is rendered a little more crisply? At the cost of battery life and increased cost? Not worth it on that scale, especially from the perspective of Apple and the normal consumer (who is not represented here).

Battery life is great depending on how you use it.

You complain about battery life and go on to complain about multi-tasking? I would love to have the ability to set apps to run in the background, but that's fine because I understand the consequences of allowing it. The 3GS could probably handle it pretty well (though it would be bad on earlier models due to memory constraints). A further souped up iPhone down the road would be an even more excellent candidate. Regardless, regular users wouldn't understand why their phone was tearing through battery life, and the people who do understand it would still bitch about battery life, even as they've got ten programs running in the background.

The GUI is fine. It is easy to use. You're lecturing the wrong company about GUI design. Talk about an arm-chair CEO.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #10 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

They calculate that average to include subsidies, right? If so, what's the published number for that? Or if not, how is it calculated? It's confusing to see a $600 average price for a phone that has 3 models that sell (in the US) for $99 to $299. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario for $600...

I don't think Apple uses subsidized prices in its calculations for iPhone ASPs. For one, when you buy an iPhone in the US, you actually pay sales tax on the full price of the phone, not the subsidized price. But effectively, you the customer pay $99-$299+full tax out of your pocket, and then AT&T pays Apple the rest of out its pockets. But to Apple, it doesn't matter who is paying the bill, or in what portion, so long as the full bill is taken care of somehow. So Apple must be accounting for the full selling price of the phone to AT&T, rather than subsidized price. This would also translate to easier accounting for international sales in countries where no carrier subsidies are provided as you can use the same accounting methods for all sales worldwide, in which case you need only account for currency fluctuations, which affects Apple ASPs. I guarantee you the weak dollar right now and the 46% contribution from international revenue is helping Apple's earnings and revenue in US dollar terms.
post #11 of 100
post #12 of 100
I have had my iPhone for two years now. I just recently upgraded to the 3gs. I continue to be AMAZED at how amazing this device is. Sure... I wish the battery was a little better and that I didn't have to deal with the odd glitch, "slide bar not responding to answer or hang up on a call".

But Sh$&t this phone is incredible and there is nothing on the market that comes close. I actually prefer surfing the net on my phone than using my laptop.

I also don't understand the gripe about multi-tasking... The phone multitasks just fine. I bounce easily fro multiple inboxes, browsers...heck I usually surf and write e-mails while on the phone.

Amazing device...
post #13 of 100
Multitasking is a must, and let us choose whether we can do it or not. Perhaps when the app boots up it can ask if we want to enable it to run in the background. How hard is it to let Pandora play while I surf the internet taking the bus to work? Hopefully they are back there in a secret room developing a good UI to switch programs. How about allowing me to change the volume for each notification sound. I like my text messages to be at one sound and ringer at another and VM's at another. I also want to be able to change my phone's wallpaper instead of being just black. The ability to snooze calendar events and set them to remind me X amount of time later is a good idea, without having to acknowledge the notification. Maybe a drop down bar? Finally, I want the ability to change text message pop-ups to a badge.

I don't think I am asking too much.
post #14 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHDwKT564Kk

I want it.

Ha ha that reminds me of the James Bond gadget he uses when getting shot at. Other than for Bond what other use would it be?
post #15 of 100
I own an iPhone 3GS, and wouldn't swap it for anything else on the market, but to say that the competition is still catching up with the original iPhone is ridiculous.

Let's think back to the first iPhone...

- No app store
- No 3G
- No GPS
- No MMS
- No copy and paste

It gave a very good web browsing experience over WiFi and had fantastic media capabilities. It also had massive shortfalls. The iPhone has come a long way in two years.

If offered a first gen iPhone running OS 1.0 or a HTC Hero running Android, how many people would seriously pick the iPhone? Not me for sure.
post #16 of 100
As with the Mac, don't get cocky and underestimate the competition.
post #17 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That's all good and well, but I ask when will my iPhone finally..
1. Receive a much needed display update... 480 x 800 is now the norm on the most advanced smartphones these days. (Note: 2.5 times the 320 x 480 of the iPhone 3GS).

On "most" smart phones? Please post what numerous (i.e. more than one) smart phone that uses that resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

2. Attain acceptable battery life... 3 to 4.5 hour of talk time is what mine gets - at best.

It already does that. Just turn off WiFi and don't use your iPhone for anything other than making a phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

3. Allow multi-tasking of the apps I've installed, as opposed to only those 2 or 3 of Apple's choosing.

You want that plus have enough power for 3 to 4.5 hours of talk time? Carry a 12V car battery with you then. Can't have it both ways with a small footprint like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

4. Update that archaic grid-based GUI, that looks like the 3 year old design it is.

Archaic? Compared to what other bleeding-edge smartphone? Currently, RIM and WM are the main players and they don't have anything near as elegant as what MOSX has. And Android is still trying to figure out how it should look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Understand, Apps are nice, but the iPhone still lacks much of the core smartphone functionality that numerous non-Apple units have had for years already.

Still lacks much? Hmm.. Apple's current sales figures just proves (yet again) that you're in the serious minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Stop resting on your laurels Apple and Step It Up... The iPhone is hardly State Of The Art Any Longer.

This is the same rantings of someone who needs daily "ohh, new and shiny" stuff only to be bored with it after five minutes of playing. It's an elegant and productive way to use it. Thankfully, Apple is continuing to innovate and will continue to do so even in the midst of all the static being given off by folks that think they know what's better for the masses.

What's your holdup? If your iPhone is such an archaic, non-functional device, sell it on EBay and go with the other models you think are so superior.

Ah... the room got really quiet suddenly....
post #18 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That's all good and well, but I ask when will my iPhone finally..

1. Receive a much needed display update... 480 x 800 is now the norm on the most advanced smartphones these days. (Note: 2.5 times the 320 x 480 of the iPhone 3GS).

2. Attain acceptable battery life... 3 to 4.5 hour of talk time is what mine gets - at best.

3. Allow multi-tasking of the apps I've installed, as opposed to only those 2 or 3 of Apple's choosing.

I love how you complain about the battery life between comments about it not having a power draining higher resolution display and 3rd-party app multitasking. Do you not see the irony?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder;1502483

Stop resting on your laurels Apple and Step It Up... The iPhone is hardly [I


State Of The Art[/I] Any Longer.


But yet, everybody and their dog is trying, without fail, to duplicate it's success. hehe, go figure!
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #20 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I own an iPhone 3GS, and wouldn't swap it for anything else on the market, but to say that the competition is still catching up with the original iPhone is ridiculous.

Let's think back to the first iPhone...

- No app store
- No 3G
- No GPS
- No MMS
- No copy and paste

It gave a very good web browsing experience over WiFi and had fantastic media capabilities. It also had massive shortfalls. The iPhone has come a long way in two years.

If offered a first gen iPhone running OS 1.0 or a HTC Hero running Android, how many people would seriously pick the iPhone? Not me for sure.

But currently the first gen iPhone is running 3.2 not 1.0!!

I believe he meant the first gen iPhone device in its current features not two years ago.
post #21 of 100
iPhone comeptitors still fail to compete.

Its true. No deyning it.

Maybe in time . . .

Look at the lost souls on Neowin who still don't get it . . .

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/1...s-expectations
post #22 of 100
Apple is all about brand and quality. The weakest point is AT&T as their carrier in the USA. AT&T is holding back the true potential of this phone.I also agree that apps are fine, but most business customers want a phone that works. Not cutesy apps that serve no purpose. Give me a great phone and give me great service. Look how the customer uses their phone and design one around that experience.
post #23 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

On "most" smart phones? Please post what numerous (i.e. more than one) smart phone that uses that resolution.

It already does that. Just turn off WiFi and don't use your iPhone for anything other than making a phone call.

You want that plus have enough power for 3 to 4.5 hours of talk time? Carry a 12V car battery with you then. Can't have it both ways with a small footprint like that.

Archaic? Compared to what other bleeding-edge smartphone? Currently, RIM and WM are the main players and they don't have anything near as elegant as what MOSX has. And Android is still trying to figure out how it should look like.

Still lacks much? Hmm.. Apple's current sales figures just proves (yet again) that you're in the serious minority.

This is the same rantings of someone who needs daily "ohh, new and shiny" stuff only to be bored with it after five minutes of playing. It's an elegant and productive way to use it. Thankfully, Apple is continuing to innovate and will continue to do so even in the midst of all the static being given off by folks that think they know what's better for the masses.

What's your holdup? If your iPhone is such an archaic, non-functional device, sell it on EBay and go with the other models you think are so superior.

Ah... the room got really quiet suddenly....

Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

Anyway - We have numerous other samartphones in my household with which to compare my iPhone, and all of them offer equal-to-much-better smartphone functionality than the iPhone.

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800, live TV feed, far superior media playback capabilities w/Kinoma Play, far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI, better battery life, full support of MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint at OS level, much more efficient PUSH capabilities).

On Sprint we have a Blackberry Tour (much more capable international/business smartphone than the iPhone), and a Palm Pre (with its truly State of the Art WebOS).

The advancements these devices display over my iPhone are striking to say the least, and both networks prived exponentially better service than AT&T, but of course when Apple sees fit to incorporate similar features in the iPhone it'll be heralded as the second coming - LOL!

As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint.

Just because the iPhone has become some kind of 'Fashion Statement' does not negate the fact that it's in serious need of a makeover, and the competition has not been standing still, so get over yourself already.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #24 of 100
and what will compel present iphone owners to change i have no need to change, att works great for me, but even if verizon gets the iphone,
why change, and redo the cost of all those apps, i'm satisfied with the updates
and all comers must compete ON ALL LEVELS
APPS STORE
YEARLY UPDATES
SYNC
MOBILE ME

the whole environment must be compelling so most are just also rans
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

and what will compel present iphone owners to change i have no need to change, att works great for me, but even if verizon gets the iphone,
why change, and redo the cost of all those apps, i'm satisfied with the updates
and all comers must compete ON ALL LEVELS
APPS STORE
YEARLY UPDATES
SYNC
MOBILE ME

the whole environment must be compelling so most are just also rans

ROTFL - He Said 'Mobile Me'... Now that overpriced nonsense is hilarious!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #26 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

ROTFL - He Said 'Mobile Me'... Now that overpriced nonsense is hilarious!

If you dont need 20GB of online space then you dont get that much value from mobile me. But i host my website, www.samanjj.com on it and also use the mail, share files with friends when they are too big to send. etc
post #27 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I own an iPhone 3GS, and wouldn't swap it for anything else on the market, but to say that the competition is still catching up with the original iPhone is ridiculous.

Let's think back to the first iPhone...

- No app store
- No 3G
- No GPS
- No MMS
- No copy and paste

It gave a very good web browsing experience over WiFi and had fantastic media capabilities. It also had massive shortfalls. The iPhone has come a long way in two years.

If offered a first gen iPhone running OS 1.0 or a HTC Hero running Android, how many people would seriously pick the iPhone? Not me for sure.

- No 3G
- No GPS
- No MMS

These are still on the list... there is no way I would look at the original Iphone for anything but a paper weight. In fact that's all mine is used for at the moment.

I agree looking at the 3GS it has come a long ways.
post #28 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

ROTFL - He Said 'Mobile Me'... Now that overpriced nonsense is hilarious!

x2... the fact that I can't use my Iphone as a thumb drive pisses me off. They expect me to pay for MobileMe just to get some kind of basic file storage. Lame
post #29 of 100
Quote:
"Frankly I think people are trying to catch up with the first iPhone two years ago," Cook said. "We've long since moved beyond that."

Puh-leeze- NOW THAT"S PUSHING IT. APPLE snobbery at its WORST. Makes Ballmer almost look credible and decent. Must be hard living under Steve's shadow.
post #30 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

x2... the fact that I can't use my Iphone as a thumb drive pisses me off. They expect me to pay for MobileMe just to get some kind of basic file storage. Lame

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...289943355&mt=8

And this just one example (the best I know, well worth the 4.99$, IMO) of an app that would give you this functionality. I am sure that with a short search you can find others.
post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

Anyway - We have numerous other samartphones in my household with which to compare my iPhone, and all of them offer equal-to-much-better smartphone functionality than the iPhone.

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800, live TV feed, far superior media playback capabilities w/Kinoma Play, far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI, better battery life, full support of MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint at OS level, much more efficient PUSH capabilities).

On Sprint we have a Blackberry Tour (much more capable international/business smartphone than the iPhone), and a Palm Pre (with its truly State of the Art WebOS).

The advancements these devices display over my iPhone are striking to say the least, and both networks prived exponentially better service than AT&T, but of course when Apple sees fit to incorporate similar features in the iPhone it'll be heralded as the second coming - LOL!

As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint.

Just because the iPhone has become some kind of 'Fashion Statement' does not negate the fact that it's in serious need of a makeover, and the competition has not been standing still, so get over yourself already.

Thank you for agreeing that your post was silly. That's a good first step. Being in denial is not a good thing.

When you look at your requirements and realize how much you are contradicting yourself, by all means come back and post something a bit more realistic.

I think it would be arrogant for Apple to count out the competition. So I question the amount of spinning this article may have had prior to being published. One could pick up quite a few examples of other devices that can do certain things better than an iPhone. But to-date, the iPhone is the one device that can do all of those things at an acceptable level.

RIM may have a good business apps, but the browsing, internet, app capabilities are not very good.

The Pre to-date was so hyped up it immediately set itself up for failure. The superiority of WebOS is debatable since there is nothing for it, the hardware quality is a joke, and it's on a network that nobody uses. I have yet to see anyone using one.

The HTC is a curiosity. Until Android gets its act together to provide a consistent and cohesive environment, it will continue to remain a curiosity and limited mainly to tech-heads that comprise a very small minority of the mobile-user mass. And you very well know that.

Now the new Verizon/Droid is interesting. But as is consistently stated (and proved countless times) is that Apple provides a winning combination of quality hardware AND software in one device. The sales numbers simply prove that point.

The regular Joe simply does not care about running multiple apps, watching movies, while talking on the phone and tethering it to a microwave oven like you techs think it should do.

How many more breakout quarters does Apple need to have before critics like you decide that maybe your standards are a wee bit to high?
post #32 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


How many more breakout quarters does Apple need to have before critics like you decide that maybe your standards are a wee bit to high?

Conversely…

Maybe it’s simply a case of you (and those like you) having standards that are too low (possible complacency) ?

See How That Works?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #33 of 100
We'll know we have a competitor when they can boast third party apps like the high profile ones on iPhone. I'm enjoying MLB at bat $9.99. Totally worth the cost- killer app, if you follow baseball. I'm sure each of you have a favorite app that isn't on Android.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #34 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love how you complain about the battery life between comments about it not having a power draining higher resolution display and 3rd-party app multitasking. Do you not see the irony?

Trust me... He doesn't
post #35 of 100
Sflocal, let's be a little more specific about what makes the HTC Imagio a curiosity, since our friend DaHarder seems to be willing to cut corners on his review:

1. Resistive rather than capacitative touch screen, so no multitouch gestures allowed.
2. Limited onboard memory, which means that some Windows Mobile applications won't run on it, even with an SD card.
3. Navigating the web is slow because of the processor.
4. The battery loses 10% of its charge every 30 to 45 minutes
5. The performance with the Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system is uniformly sluggish, even when only one application is running.

These statements are from NY Times reader reviews posted within the last few days.

And DaHarder, nobody believes your disclaimer about waiting for replies.
post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

Anyway - We have numerous other samartphones in my household with which to compare my iPhone, and all of them offer equal-to-much-better smartphone functionality than the iPhone.

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800, live TV feed, far superior media playback capabilities w/Kinoma Play, far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI, better battery life, full support of MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint at OS level, much more efficient PUSH capabilities).

On Sprint we have a Blackberry Tour (much more capable international/business smartphone than the iPhone), and a Palm Pre (with its truly State of the Art WebOS).

The advancements these devices display over my iPhone are striking to say the least, and both networks prived exponentially better service than AT&T, but of course when Apple sees fit to incorporate similar features in the iPhone it'll be heralded as the second coming - LOL!

As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint.

Just because the iPhone has become some kind of 'Fashion Statement' does not negate the fact that it's in serious need of a makeover, and the competition has not been standing still, so get over yourself already.

See, this is where you show yourself to be clueless. Your examples of other phones don't include size/weight ratios to battery life. The rest of your comments just further my point "real advancements", "fashion statement", blah blah.
You're just silly. I mean, if you were a troll, I could understand; you just wanna kick up dirt, etc. But that's not the case. You actually are just truly clueless.
post #37 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Trust me... He doesn't

No Thanks... I'd rather place my trust in one with reasoning a bit more rational.

Appreciate the offer though.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #38 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

Sflocal, let's be a little more specific about what makes the HTC Imagio a curiosity, since our friend DaHarder seems to be willing to cut corners on his review:

1. Resistive rather than capacitative touch screen, so no multitouch gestures allowed.
2. Limited onboard memory, which means that some Windows Mobile applications won't run on it, even with an SD card.
3. Navigating the web is slow because of the processor.
4. The battery loses 10% of its charge every 30 to 45 minutes
5. The performance with the Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system is uniformly sluggish, even when only one application is running.

These statements are from NY Times reader reviews posted within the last few days.

And DaHarder, nobody believes your disclaimer about waiting for replies.

I too read that review', but unlike you, I actually own the device(s) in question, and that makes all the difference in situations such as these.

Hint: I Speak From Experience... NOT the opinion of another.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #39 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I too read that review', but unlike you, I actually own the device(s) in question, and that makes all the difference in situations such as these.

Hint: I Speak From Experience... NOT the opinion of another.

You ever seen the movie "A Fish Called Wanda"? You know the Otto character? You remind me of him. Lots of prickly self regard, kinda dim.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #40 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You ever seen the movie "A Fish Called Wanda"? You know the Otto character? You remind me of him. Lots of prickly self regard, kinda dim.

As Difficult As It May Be:

Please try to refrain from trivial personal attacks and remain on topic.

Thanks
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete