or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete

Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete - Page 2

post #41 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I too read that review', but unlike you, I actually own the device(s) in question, and that makes all the difference in situations such as these.

Hint: I Speak From Experience... NOT the opinion of another.

Hmmm.... okay, so by your experience, you have all these devices lying around your house (like remote controls) but can't seem to find one that covers all your requirements? Who has standards issues?

If you really think that the tens of millions of global users that have purchased the iPhones have low standards compared to the what - 1%-2% of the vocal tech heads that preach they are right, then by all means, check the sturdiness of that soapbox you're standing on. Looks a little shaky.

I was able to replace my separate cell phone, PDA, music (media) player all into one device that fits the bill and does a great job at all three. Is it perfect? Of course not. Nothing is. And according to you, there are tens of millions of people that are happy too. That's all that matters. And as an AAPL owner, I'm quite happy with what management is doing.

If and when Android takes off, I think Apple will be in a good position to handle it.
post #42 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

If and when Android takes off, I think Apple will be in a good position to handle it.

Agreed...

They certainly have the marketshare, but choice is always welcome in my world, as no single deice serves everyone's (individual) needs.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #43 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, over 50 percent of the Fortune 100 are deploying a pilot program of the iPhone, Apple announced Monday, and over 350 higher education institutions have approved iPhones for students and faculty.

Got to love a company that only has the same handful of trolls who continually attempt extoll the downsides of the products that knowledgeable people are staking their reputation on and that all the competition seems to want to copy.
post #44 of 100
Originally Quoated by DaHarder; Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

You crack me up. Some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer and waiting for a response??? You've made at least 20% of the responses over the past 4 hours. What are your greater responsibilities?
post #45 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

Originally Quoated by DaHarder; Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

You crack me up. Some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer and waiting for a response??? You've made at least 20% of the responses over the past 4 hours. What are your greater responsibilities?

Wife, Kids, Honey-Do's, and Charging All Of These Dad-Blamed Gadgets...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #46 of 100
Quote:

Ever thought that some of us have greater responsibilities than sitting behind a computer eagerly waiting to address some silly forum comment?

Anyway - We have numerous other samartphones in my household with which to compare my iPhone, and all of them offer equal-to-much-better smartphone functionality than the iPhone.

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800, live TV feed, far superior media playback capabilities w/Kinoma Play, far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI, better battery life, full support of MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint at OS level, much more efficient PUSH capabilities).

On Sprint we have a Blackberry Tour (much more capable international/business smartphone than the iPhone), and a Palm Pre (with its truly State of the Art WebOS).

The advancements these devices display over my iPhone are striking to say the least, and both networks prived exponentially better service than AT&T, but of course when Apple sees fit to incorporate similar features in the iPhone it'll be heralded as the second coming - LOL!

As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint.

Just because the iPhone has become some kind of 'Fashion Statement' does not negate the fact that it's in serious need of a makeover, and the competition has not been standing still, so get over yourself already.

No lengthy lists of features nor clever demeaning exaggerated put-downs of what to you is fanatical devotion can refute the hard cold facts of sales statistics of the product, much less the steady increase of such over time.

You too are missing the essential points of the iPhone's success. But we iPhone owners aren't!

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #47 of 100
Quote:

I know the feeling all too well.

There are lots of improvements that Apple could make. Other smart phones will advance in certain areas faster than Apple and Apple will continue to move forward. When you think back to the state of the "Cell Phones or Dumb Phones" before the iPhone ...... it's pretty amazing that a company that never made a cell phone was the one that rocked the market and turned it in the direction it's heading today. Overall the package is pretty sweet. It's too bad that we spend so much time with life that you can't explore the 85,000 apps that could make the iPhone what we want it to be.
post #48 of 100
Quote:

ROTFL - He Said 'Mobile Me'... Now that overpriced nonsense is hilarious!

Now I know you are a troll that doesn't own an iPhone.

If you actually own and use a Mac, and own and use an iPhone, Mobile Me is fantastic service. Especially if you have multiple Mac's. Aside from providing push email, over the air syncing of my calendar and contacts, and remote control and recovery for my iPhone, the syncing with Mobile Me of all my settings between all my Mac's is awesome. Snow Leopard finally fixed iDisk syncing and I now have my documents synced between my Mac's seamlessly and transparently. All my settings including my keychain passwords sync. Heck my bookmarks sync not just between my Mac's but my iPhone as well! I love Mobile Me. I've been using it since the iTools days - primarily as an ISP neutral email address, but it hasn't been until recently with the iPhone that I find it truly indispensable.

Are you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable on neowin.net?
post #49 of 100
Quote:

Don't forget to add cashing your check for astroturfing....

Although if I was your sponsor I'd want a refund or at least a steep discount.
post #50 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Multitasking is a must, and let us choose whether we can do it or not. Perhaps when the app boots up it can ask if we want to enable it to run in the background. How hard is it to let Pandora play while I surf the internet taking the bus to work? Hopefully they are back there in a secret room developing a good UI to switch programs. How about allowing me to change the volume for each notification sound. I like my text messages to be at one sound and ringer at another and VM's at another. I also want to be able to change my phone's wallpaper instead of being just black. The ability to snooze calendar events and set them to remind me X amount of time later is a good idea, without having to acknowledge the notification. Maybe a drop down bar? Finally, I want the ability to change text message pop-ups to a badge.

I don't think I am asking too much.

but you're not thinking much either, just using "multitasking" as a blanket buzz word. the iPhone already offers limited multitasking with some programs and background push notifications (yes it ought to be extended to other companies' audio apps too). moreover, many apps now actually let you multitask within them for the multiple functions on the phone they access. simply having several unrelated apps open at once just isn't necessary. the one feature that would be nice for convenience is the ability to 'jump' back and forth between two apps without having to return to the home screen in between each time. whether they are both actually running at once is irrelevant, as long as they save their states and let you pick up where you left off each time. the trade off is always battery life, and you know how important that is. Apple clearly has made it top priority. the other things you list are all tweaks. we all could list a dozen tweaks we'd like too. if you're a compulsive tweaker i guess that really matters, but not to most.
post #51 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

Sflocal, let's be a little more specific about what makes the HTC Imagio a curiosity, since our friend DaHarder seems to be willing to cut corners on his review:

1. Resistive rather than capacitative touch screen, so no multitouch gestures allowed.
2. Limited onboard memory, which means that some Windows Mobile applications won't run on it, even with an SD card.
3. Navigating the web is slow because of the processor.
4. The battery loses 10% of its charge every 30 to 45 minutes
5. The performance with the Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system is uniformly sluggish, even when only one application is running.

These statements are from NY Times reader reviews posted within the last few days.

And DaHarder, nobody believes your disclaimer about waiting for replies.

Kinoma Play is a very nice $30 multifunction app that adds all the stuff Win Mo is missing that you get on the iPhone in multiple apps, instead of one, for free. congrats sucker for paying the Microsoft Tax! and you still have to deal with that dog of a WinMo OS running underneath it.
post #52 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If you actually own and use a Mac, and own and use an iPhone, Mobile Me is fantastic service. Especially if you have multiple Mac's. Aside from providing push email, over the air syncing of my calendar and contacts, and remote control and recovery for my iPhone, the syncing with Mobile Me of all my settings between all my Mac's is awesome. Snow Leopard finally fixed iDisk syncing and I now have my documents synced between my Mac's seamlessly and transparently. All my settings including my keychain passwords sync. Heck my bookmarks sync not just between my Mac's but my iPhone as well! I love Mobile Me. I've been using it since the iTools days - primarily as an ISP neutral email address, but it hasn't been until recently with the iPhone that I find it truly indispensable.

correct Doc. and you didn't even mention how incredibly easy it is to use the Gallery with iPhoto and iMovie - the fun stuff!
post #53 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

correct Doc. and you didn't even mention how incredibly easy it is to use the Gallery with iPhoto and iMovie - the fun stuff!

Cant forget Back To My Mac either.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #54 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Are you sure you wouldn't be more comfortable on neowin.net?

Here's the part you fail to comprehend:

Just because YOU happen to find the service 'fantastic' doesn't mean that others are compelled to follow suit.

It's understood that there's a rather narcissistic letter 'i' placed prominently in front of many of your favorite Apple gadgets, e.g. iPhone/iPod/iMac, but some of us don't concern ourselves with what YOU find desirable.

All of my Macs, iPods, and iPhones etc. are merely appliances purchased solely to serve me at my convenience, in no way defining who 'I' am as a person.

It's a great way to live... you might want to try out it someday.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #55 of 100
I own an iPhone 3G and a HTC Hero.

HTC Hero is the winner for me, I only missed iPod integration but now I use Spotify while doing other things with the phone.

Battery life is a lot bigger in the Hero.

Doesn't cath 1st gen iPhone, nops. Cook was acting like Ballmer with this sentence.
post #56 of 100
Quote:

Conversely

Maybe its simply a case of you (and those like you) having standards that are too low (possible complacency) ?

See How That Works?

Customer Satisfaction ≠ Complacency

Your anti-iPhone rhetoric makes me think that maybe you tried to get an iPhone in the past, only to be hit with an $800 deposit with AT&T. Maybe an iPhone raped your mother, I don't know. You just can't stand that millions of people are happy with their iPhones. Get over it.
Embrace your inner geek.
Embrace your inner geek.
post #57 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

Customer Satisfaction ≠ Complacency

Your anti-iPhone rhetoric makes me think that maybe you tried to get an iPhone in the past, only to be hit with an $800 deposit with AT&T. Maybe an iPhone raped your mother, I don't know. You just can't stand that millions of people are happy with their iPhones. Get over it.

As presumptuous as you are mean spirited and incorrect.

I've owned every generation of iPhone but simply find the handset(s) to be little more than adequate 'feature phones' with substandard reception - in my area (Las Vegas, NV).

It's difficult to believe that Apple's slogan was once Think Different given the legion of 'followers' that now support the company's efforts. Drones all spewing the exact same canned 'talking points' in regimented unison e.g. You're Bad-Mouthing The Almighty iPhone So Therefore You Must Not Be Able To Afford One.

Sad Really...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #58 of 100
Quote:

Here's the part you fail to comprehend:

Just because YOU happen to find the service 'fantastic' doesn't mean that others are compelled to follow suit.

It's understood that there's a rather narcissistic letter 'i' placed prominently in front of many of your favorite Apple gadgets, e.g. iPhone/iPod/iMac, but some of us don't concern ourselves with what YOU find desirable.

All of my Macs, iPods, and iPhones etc. are merely appliances purchased solely to serve me at my convenience, in no way defining who 'I' am as a person.

It's a great way to live... you might want to try out it someday.

i'm not sure i understand your 'reasoning'. it seems to me that 8 bucks or so per month for the convenience of having mobileme sync my computers with my iphone is a small price to pay. i understand if you don't see the value in it, since it doesn't work with all your other gadgets, but to belittle those that do find the value seems pointless.

it's not like you need to have it, and for a lot of people it makes sense to roll their own sync solutions. i could understand your dismay if you were forced to have it, but since it's optional, what's the big deal?

mobileme works for me personally, since i work on three different macs and the convenience to have my calendar synced alone would be worth paying something for. i guess it depends on how many features of mobileme you use and at what point you feel you get value for the money.

to ridicule it as 'overpriced' seems to make little sense to me when you appear to have a house full of expensive gadgets, some of which i'm sure come with a monthly bill. of course there are alternatives to many parts of mobileme, and a lot of them are free. none however offer everything i want, and i'm willing to pay for the convenience to turn them on with the click of a checkbox.

your mileage - as always - may vary, and in your case obviously does. but does that make everybody that sees the value in it a narcissist?
post #59 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

I own an iPhone 3G and a HTC Hero.

HTC Hero is the winner for me, I only missed iPod integration but now I use Spotify while doing other things with the phone.

Battery life is a lot bigger in the Hero.

Doesn't cath 1st gen iPhone, nops. Cook was acting like Ballmer with this sentence.

HTC has truly done a masterful job with the Sense (tm) UI on the Hero.

It's represents the absolute state-of-the art in handset UI design/execution, and Android (tm) is shaping up to be the mobile OS to beat.

The iPhone 3G also has its charms, namely the App Store, but the abysmal battery autonomy, washed-out display, dated UI, fixed storage capacity, and the lack of other core spartphone features left me longing for a more complete/advanced handset, and my iPhone 3GS simply isn't it.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #60 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

It's funny. I was just talking with my fellow iPhone users at work and we're all more than satisfied with the device. Call us "fanboys" or whatever, but none of us can think of a device we've had recently that fits the bill so perfectly, even without the whiny requirements that DaHarder wants.

The iPhone IS state of the art. If not, what is? Offer us a few others that are more so?

Yeah best phone or single piece of technology. I want to get the iPhone 3GS for Christmas!
post #61 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i'm not sure i understand your 'reasoning'. it seems to me that 8 bucks or so per month for the convenience of having mobileme sync my computers with my iphone is a small price to pay. i understand if you don't see the value in it, since it doesn't work with all your other gadgets, but to belittle those that do find the value seems pointless.

it's not like you need to have it, and for a lot of people it makes sense to roll their own sync solutions. i could understand your dismay if you were forced to have it, but since it's optional, what's the big deal?

mobileme works for me personally, since i work on three different macs and the convenience to have my calendar synced alone would be worth paying something for. i guess it depends on how many features of mobileme you use and at what point you feel you get value for the money.

to ridicule it as 'overpriced' seems to make little sense to me when you appear to have a house full of expensive gadgets, some of which i'm sure come with a monthly bill. of course there are alternatives to many parts of mobileme, and a lot of them are free. none however offer everything i want, and i'm willing to pay for the convenience to turn them on with the click of a checkbox.

your mileage - as always - may vary, and in your case obviously does. but does that make everybody that sees the value in it a narcissist?

Here's to wishing you and your MobileMe a long happy relationship... I'm sure it's a fine service, but just not for me.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #62 of 100
Quote:

Here's to wishing you and your MobileMe a long happy relationship... I'm sure it's a fine service, but just not for me.

thank you for your kind wishes and i'm glad we're on the same page on the benefits of personal choice.
post #63 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Yep, the mileage varies, the feature I used more of MobileMe was Preferences Sync accross computers but I tought that paying 70 for it was a waste of money. As you have said, it's a personal taste, I use GMail and Google calendar and Dropbox/Live Mesh for storage and syncing of folders.
post #64 of 100
A lot of people forget that us (the gadget fans, technology freaks, geeks, whatever) are a very small percentage of Apple's target market. The iPhone is an incredible device - my mother can use it, my 3 year old son can use it. And for me, it's a pleasure to use. Sure, there's a few features I'd personally like to see in there, but am I going to sacrifice all I love about the iPhone to get these few features on a WM/Android/BB phone? Hell, no.
post #65 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

Apple is all about brand and quality. The weakest point is AT&T as their carrier in the USA. AT&T is holding back the true potential of this phone.I also agree that apps are fine, but most business customers want a phone that works. Not cutesy apps that serve no purpose. Give me a great phone and give me great service. Look how the customer uses their phone and design one around that experience.

Yeah, we get it. But seriously, who else would you use? Verizon's version of the iPhone would be so crippled unless you coughed up $10/mo for this and another $15/mo for that, and oh, you want to use WiFi? That's another $20/mo still.

I did feel gouged at first with the voice/data plan thing. But now I realize my overall bill is much lower than it was with Verizon for voice and messaging only!

Steve was faced with the nearly impossible task of trying to get ANY carrier to understand the iPhone, it's capabilities, and the eventual upside in carrier profits. In the end, AT&T was the only one willing to step up to the plate.

I'm not a huge fan of AT&T, but my experience has probably been far better than many. Plus I have constant WiFi at my office and home, so no worries, really.

Lost calls? Haven't had one. No, really.

As for the Apps? It will always take some time for developers to jump on board a new platform, especially when it comes to business users. Breaking through the in-house IT barrier can be nearly impossible at times. Look how long it took the Blackberry to become a standard in any area requiring secure communication. It will come in time.

The Apps I want to develop wouldn't sell right now unless I had a contract from whichever company I would want to target the App for. So, for now, it's high content games and utilities. But you will see considerable development in the business sector. Just remember how long it took for Macs to show up in suitland. SeaFirst Bank in Seattle was one of the first to go nearly all-Mac in the later half of the 80's, and they took it on the chin when the Mac Office network was such a sordid flop. Give it time. Like the voice says... "If you build it, they will come."
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #66 of 100
My iPod touch is the handiest gadget I've ever owned. It's ease of use and functionality are unsurpassed by anything else out there.
On a related note, my buddy has a Zune and touch. He tried to upgrade his Zune, and now it is locked. He said he's now sold on the touch and other Apple products, and he's ready to buy two new 15-inch MBP when they are released.
post #67 of 100
It's a bit annoying that Tim Cook quickly dismissed all of the iPhone's competition. I am certainly interested in how the Droid will turn out. More to the point, I'm interested in how the Android platform will fare. Or WebOS.

Frankly, as a phone, the iPhone is not really that good. It's got some usability issues. You have to look at the display to make a call. And which number did that person in my contacts just call me from? (perhaps I missed a feature there). And others I won't bore you with.

Those are nits that I do hope Apple addresses and fixes. Well not much you can do with pure touch screen input vs a tactile key pad. I'm fine with that. The benefits of the multi-touch display far outweigh the absence of a "real" keypad. Something that takes up a lot of space, btw.

My attraction to the iPhone is the SDK. That sucker sold me on it. You see, from my point of view, the iPhone isn't just a phone with extraneous features required by business folk. To me, the iPhone is a pocket sized general purpose computer.

COMPUTER! This is true of all smart phones. But there is one little item on the iPhone that is not shared by the others. That would be the OS. iPhone OS is a rather large subset of Mac OS X. Lose Carbon, swap Cocoa for Cocoa Touch, dump a few other desktop features not needed or feasible in a tiny device and you are still left with a rather large subset of shared code.

A bunch of this shared code got moved into Snow Leopard. Core Animation, Core Image, and so on. The shared code between iPhone OS and OS X is damned impressive. There is some serious synergy that Microsoft lost out on trying to make Windows mobile. Apple got it right. Your iPhone runs a Unix based OS on hardware that is more powerful than a typical desktop PC of ten years ago. It costs less too.

Android does not yet run any desktop computer. Neither does WebOS. Windows Mobile in all its SKUs is not really the Windows of today. Not unless we are partying like it's 1999.

So the Xcode tools I use to develop for the iPhone are the same ones that are used for developing OS X and all the iPhone OS itself. Third parties just get a trimmed down SDK. An SDK that had more added to it at the last update. That wasn't just bug fixes. More functionality for third party app developers was added.

Sorry to be so long winded here. I've got two sentences left. The iPhone isn't successful for what it isn't. It's successful for what it is.
post #68 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It seems a bit like you've missed out on the core focuses that enable Apple products to become so successful. Apple designs products for the massesproducts which almost everyone can pick up, use, and enjoy.

What are you going to do with a 480x800 display? It would be foolish to make the device larger, so instead all the existing content is rendered a little more crisply? At the cost of battery life and increased cost? Not worth it on that scale, especially from the perspective of Apple and the normal consumer (who is not represented here).

Battery life is great depending on how you use it.

You complain about battery life and go on to complain about multi-tasking? I would love to have the ability to set apps to run in the background, but that's fine because I understand the consequences of allowing it. The 3GS could probably handle it pretty well (though it would be bad on earlier models due to memory constraints). A further souped up iPhone down the road would be an even more excellent candidate. Regardless, regular users wouldn't understand why their phone was tearing through battery life, and the people who do understand it would still bitch about battery life, even as they've got ten programs running in the background.

The GUI is fine. It is easy to use. You're lecturing the wrong company about GUI design. Talk about an arm-chair CEO.

I'm a very satisfied iPhone user, but you're being a bit harsh. DaHarder raised some legitimate points about the iPhone that absolutely could, should, and hopefully will be improved.
First off, the resolution DaHarder mentioned would not be infeasible on the iPhone's screen (though one could easily make the screen bigger without making the entire device bigger; look at all the wasted space at the top of the screen around the earpiece and compare that to what HTC have done with the HD2). Almost all of HTC's current smartphones use at least an 800 by 400 resolution and don't really have bigger screens than the iPhone (I think the TP2 has a 3.6 inch screen, so it's only 0.1 inch bigger than the iPhone's). Have you ever actually looked at one of these devices? They're absolutely gorgeous, and the iPhone's screen really seems quite archaic in comparison - why wouldn't such great screens be "worth it" for the "normal consumer"? Of course, what the screens are actually depicting isn't that great (Windows Mobile...), and they're resistive, but the resolution itself is fantastic.
Furthermore, I don't think battery life would be that much of an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a nice 800x400 AMOLED-screen might even consume less power than the iPhone's current LCD.

Multitasking would be nice and could easily be implemented in such a way that users will be aware of its potential downsides. Hell, just put a toggle into the settings app, leave it off by default and display a warning message when the user switches it on. This is not rocket science.

Some other stuff I wish Apple would add to the iPhone:
1) Widgets. Say what you will about Android, but the widgets in HTC's Sense UI make certain parts of the OS much more accessible. For example, I togge Wifi on and off about five times a day on my iPhone. To do this, I have to quit the app I'm currently running, go into the settings-app, go to the Wifi-settings and toggle Wifi. That's just ridiculous. I'd love to be able to put a widget onto my homescreen which allows me to directly change certain settings and it's unacceptable that I would have to jailbreak just to get this simple functionality.
2) Allow 3rd party-apps to interface with native apps. I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself correctly here, but the issue is that, for example, Word documents attached to e-mails can't be opened by a 3rd party-app like QuickOffice of Documents To Go directly from the built-in mail-app. Instead, I either have to use my iDisk or Airsharing or an arcane workaround provided by the Quickoffice-developers. That's also ridiculous. Office documents are sent to me via e-mail every day and I'd like to be able to edit them without having to jump through hoops.
3) This is a rather minor point, but it's still bugging me: I'd love for Apple to install a small LED-notification light near the earpiece. Even my old Nokia had that, and it would inform me of missed calls, new messages etc.

I think you should acknowledge that even satisfied iPhone users can have legitimate gripes about the device. Nothing is perfect, and there's nothing wrong with expecting Apple to constantly improve an already fantastic device. It's very disingenuous to meet even legitimate criticism with an attitude like "well, you just don't get what the iPhone is all about". Also, how would any of the features you so readily discount - like multitasking or a better display - impede the iPhone's biggest strength, namely that it's a product "that everyone can pick up and enjoy"?
post #69 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After the iPhone debuted in 2007, competitors rushed to emulate the touchscreen capabilities of the device. So far, numerous competitors have emerged, but all have failed to capture the buzz of the iPhone.

Because they've failed to get just one really simple thing: it's neither touch screen, nor form factor, that is actually selling so good.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #70 of 100
Only the colour blind would not appreciate the difference between 65 thousand and 16 million colours...

...so how's it look when you're out in the sun?

You really must have to squint when you're poking it with a stick.

Quote:

On Verizon we have the HTC Imagio (480 x 800)...

...far more attractive/intuitive TouchFlo 3D GUI
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #71 of 100
Certainly Apple got the fundamentals right, but the iPhone was (and still is) lacking in some areas. My old phone seems to be able to pull off these features:

1. Profiles - where did these go? Used to be 2 clicks away on my old phone
2. Customisation - with ringtones and message alerts, as opposed to using Apple defaults
3. File management - the ability to use the iPhone's memory as a usb would be nice
4. Bluetooth - to add to 3. being able to send my mates files via bluetooth would be a pretty handy addition

Apple runs a closed ship, probably why the iPhone isn't very 'open' but no one can deny it's success. The fact that it's un-customisable kinda adds to the phone's ubiquity - it's easy to recognise if someone has an iPhone upon hearing their ringtone!

I'd like to see backgrounding for music apps, and more useful and practical improvements to the software as opposed to bells and whistles. I'm at least glad Apple aren't on the 'phone cam megapixel battlefield'
post #72 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

This seems like spin to me, seems like other folks are catching up.

I can only hope this is the dawn of multi processing on the iPhone, and many other goodies to come!

I don't think it's so much spin, as they're just saying that the competition has really come even close to being a threat to the iPhone, which is definitely true.
post #73 of 100
Quote:

HTC has truly done a masterful job with the Sense (tm) UI on the Hero.

It's represents the absolute state-of-the art in handset UI design/execution, and Android (tm) is shaping up to be the mobile OS to beat.

The iPhone 3G also has its charms, namely the App Store, but the abysmal battery autonomy, washed-out display, dated UI, fixed storage capacity, and the lack of other core spartphone features left me longing for a more complete/advanced handset, and my iPhone 3GS simply isn't it.

To each his own. IMO, the Hero and Pre are pretty wonderful devices in terms of OS and software. They have capabilities to expand on. However, their hardware and OS integration is shitty save Android. With Android's future on laptops and it being under Google, I'm pretty sure it'll be very successful if Google works on its hardware design.
post #74 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Certainly Apple got the fundamentals right, but the iPhone was (and still is) lacking in some areas. My old phone seems to be able to pull off these features:

1. Profiles - where did these go? Used to be 2 clicks away on my old phone
2. Customisation - with ringtones and message alerts, as opposed to using Apple defaults
3. File management - the ability to use the iPhone's memory as a usb would be nice
4. Bluetooth - to add to 3. being able to send my mates files via bluetooth would be a pretty handy addition

Apple runs a closed ship, probably why the iPhone isn't very 'open' but no one can deny it's success. The fact that it's un-customisable kinda adds to the phone's ubiquity - it's easy to recognise if someone has an iPhone upon hearing their ringtone!

I'd like to see backgrounding for music apps, and more useful and practical improvements to the software as opposed to bells and whistles. I'm at least glad Apple aren't on the 'phone cam megapixel battlefield'

The first three I agree with, though I would bet you that Apple felt the Profiles feature in other phones was somewhat lame and that physical ringer on/off switch was sufficient. Still, I can see how some people would benefit from profiles even though I wouldnt use them myself.

The Bluetooth file sharing feature, like MMS, is a lame method to transfer files to crappy phones that dont have proper internet and email capabilities. Apple is using Bluetooth strictly for accessories so I doubt that antiquated feature will ever happen. When Apple added the IR port on there Macs for use with the Apple Remote several years back they didnt allow for two way data transfer. I suspect that Bluetooth file transfers will suffer the same fate on the iPhone.

If you want it, just jailbreak your iPhone and install iBluetooth using Cydia.

Top of my list is a much better messaging system. The small overlay was okay when the original iPhone came out, but now with Push Notifications I cant see most of the text in the bubble, and it only shown if there is only one message. With two or more you just see names. WebOS and Android do this right. This needs to be redesigned from the ground up to be robust, with items accessible quickly and option for the items ordered chronologically or by app/person sending the message.

Second on my list is to make the Mail app concat the email accounts into a single Inbox. Having to keep backing out of accounts is a needless chore.
post #75 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Top of my list is a much better messaging system. The small overlay was okay when the original iPhone came out, but now with Push Notifications I cant see most of the text in the bubble, and it only shown if there is only one message. With two or more you just see names. WebOS and Android do this right. This needs to be redesigned from the ground up to be robust, with items accessible quickly and option for the items ordered chronologically or by app/person sending the message.

I would trash Push Notifications
post #76 of 100
"As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint."

If you really own those phones than you are either being paid to post negatively or you are just trying to get people going.

Say what you will, but the truth is the truth. The iPhone is AMAZING.
post #77 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post

"As I state before, Apple's iPhone is a fine device, but few 'real' advancement to previous smartphone capbility has been added over these 3 generations, and it's actually behind many of the more advanced offerings available today - from a technological standpoint."

If you really own those phones than you are either being paid to post negatively or you are just trying to get people going.

Say what you will, but the truth is the truth. The iPhone is AMAZING.

And a gadget can be amazing but at the same time can be behind others gadgets.
post #78 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

I would trash Push Notifications

Please elaborate.
post #79 of 100
Quote:

Please elaborate.

PN it's only an adhoc system built by Apple because they don't want to have applications to run in background.

It's stupid that an application like Pocketinformant has to use a server to trigger an alarm having the data localy.

I have an appointment or a task with an alarm. If I don't have internet connection the alarm doesn't trigger.
post #80 of 100
Quote:

The first three I agree with, though I would bet you that Apple felt the Profiles feature in other phones was somewhat lame and that physical ringer on/off switch was sufficient. Still, I can see how some people would benefit from profiles even though I wouldnt use them myself.

The Bluetooth file sharing feature, like MMS, is a lame method to transfer files to crappy phones that dont have proper internet and email capabilities. Apple is using Bluetooth strictly for accessories so I doubt that antiquated feature will ever happen. When Apple added the IR port on there Macs for use with the Apple Remote several years back they didnt allow for two way data transfer. I suspect that Bluetooth file transfers will suffer the same fate on the iPhone.

If you want it, just jailbreak your iPhone and install iBluetooth using Cydia.

Second on my list is to make the Mail app concat the email accounts into a single Inbox. Having to keep backing out of accounts is a needless chore.

I agree with your point about Bluetooth file sharing (and even MMS to an extend), which is precisely why I'd like to see it. The ratio of crappy phones is too much to ignore, it's practical to be able to share files with everyone else, while waiting for them to catch up. I'm yet to jailbreak my iPhone, I might consider it after my contract is up, but overall it works great so there's little benefit.

I suspect messages will be vastly improved with 4.0, but on a more basic level I'm not too sure about chat style text messages. While it does look good and is more organised than the old way, threads take a while to load. I'm wondering if there is (or will be) a way to search text messages.

The iPhone represents somewhat of a paradigm shift in regards to computing - it's a technological swiss army knife. Having each app do one thing, and do it really well, is a better approach than having convoluted, feature-packed applications (although on the other hand, I'd still like a mail + contacts + calendar combo on OS X).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone competitors still fail to compete