or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays - Page 2

post #41 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I thin you are correct and therefore I will wait. Funny the iMac is begining to look like an actual TV itself.

I'm glad you mentioned that....

Quote:
"Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);"

Is this (above) a new feature? Because for the longest time I though my wife's 24" iMac would have made a PERFECT 'TV' that I could watch while she wasn't using it. (or a college kid etc). The only thing I was always upset about was the fact that the flat panel iMacs only did 'video out' and their wasn't a simple way to have the iMac accept the signal from our HDMI cable boxes (yea with xtra hardware I could but I said simple (and cheap/free).

This is really great news cause I can get 1 HD cable box have it route to a HDMI switcher (remote operated) and have mine and my wife's (future) iMacs both connected to the HDMI switch.

This way whoever isn't using their system can do double duty as the computer room TV.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #42 of 846
Anyone notice the swank new aluminum 3-button remote option when you BTO at the store?
post #43 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yah, the only thing missing is HDMI in.

Can you get that anywhere? I haven't seen a single tuner with that capability, I was looking for one earlier this year with no luck. It seems that they don't want us recording their precious HD programming.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #44 of 846
Does anyone know if the hard drive is user replaceable?
post #45 of 846
not a fan of 16:9 sorry
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #46 of 846
Utterly underwhelming.
post #47 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.

Well, if you read carefully: the 27" model does have video in!
post #48 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Obv. they mean from the iTunes store. Technically 720p is HD.

edit: flame if you want, but a 27" screen will not significantly benefit from 1080p over 720p. Actually I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

I know that isn't the only reason for BRD though.

Sitting at 2 foot away, or 10 feet away?

Distance is a key component of perceiving HD resolutions.

At 2 foot, you could tell the difference between iTunes store 720p and BluRay 1080p.

I'm looking at the 21.5" with discrete graphics right now for myself. The IPS screen is a major plus point over Mac Mini + third party monitor. I figure I'll use the computer for four years. Tempted to get the 27", but the money ramps up and is hard to justify when I need a new kitchen. If I had got a bonus earlier this year then yes, I might even get the top of the range. Darn recession.
post #49 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, if you read carefully: the 27" model does have video in!

I'm seeing that now. Intriguing to say the least.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #50 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why no core 2 quad or core i5 options on the smaller imacs?

Too small an enclosure for the TDP?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);"

That is only for the 27.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #51 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin2213 View Post

Does anyone know if the hard drive is user replaceable?

I wouldn't bet on it.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #52 of 846
Damn. I was really hoping apple would offer a descret video at under 1500$. Oh well,it's a hackintosh for me then.
post #53 of 846
Quote:
My cousin just bought an iMac last week. Does Apple have a 14-day window where he could bring
back the iMac he bought for a new one?

I believe so. Check your receipt for "return date", or call the Apple store.
post #54 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Don't you have a Wacom Intuos 3 or 4 for the graphics work?

Nope, I am mainly in Final Cut Pro so one wouldn't be much use there I expect ... Are they good? I may be tempted for PS work.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #55 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yah, the only thing missing is HDMI in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

27" is the same size as my parents TV, and has a larger viewable area for movies due to the aspect ratio. If I were in a different situation, I would consider for a secondary TV/media center. Would be nice if they built in a tuner or at least video in.

Might wanna re-read those specs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDiMAC

Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video connections via adapter 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWiMAC

Mini DisplayPort for video input and output (adapters sold separately);



edit: As pointed out to me just a few posts up... this feature seems to be reserved for the 27" (which is fine by me).
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #56 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

not a fan of 16:9 sorry

What is your preference?
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #57 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nope, I am mainly in Final Cut Pro so one wouldn't be much use there I expect ... Are they good? I may be tempted for PS work.

I use one for PS CS4 and it beats the mouse by a mile. I highly recommend one of the new Intuos 4 models. I don't use it for Final Cut however.
post #58 of 846
That 27" panel with 2560x1440 resolution is very interesting.

I am not aware of any LCD monitors that use this display. Has anyone seen one?
post #59 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Obv. they mean from the iTunes store. Technically 720p is HD.

edit: flame if you want, but a 27" screen will not significantly benefit from 1080p over 720p. Actually I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

I know that isn't the only reason for BRD though.

From a distance you would be right. But sitting at normal computing distance, there would be a difference. However, that is assuming you had a high quality source. iTunes 720p HD is so low quality that it might as well be upscaled DVD. A BluRay, even at 720p would look vastly superior. Hell, an iTunes movie trailer at 720p typically looks far superior to the crap that they sell in the movie store.
post #60 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Utterly underwhelming.

So was you post.

I think they look great and are a fantastic update.
post #61 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I wouldn't bet on it.

Why do you say that? There isn't much room in the case for them to hide it away, and very little reason for them to do that. I would be shocked if the HD wasn't removable.
post #62 of 846
I am in the Apple Store reporting to you live from 5 th Avenue at 1 pm. Nothing is here yet to look at. There is a wall to wall curtain. I've been told that they are unboxing things as I type. A class is underway and yes they are still utilizing the old gorgeous matte cinema display so that everyone can view it from all angles.
Peace- On my way to Pop Burger now.
post #63 of 846
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 27" w/ a QuadCore processor. The kids will be getting my current 2.4 ghz iMac 24".

Is the i7 worth the $200 upgrade on the i5? I'm hoping for speed gains in video encoding mostly, but general speed gains are nice as well.

Thanks!
post #64 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Most people prefer the glossy option and it sells better in stores

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.
post #65 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Why do you say that? There isn't much room in the case for them to hide it away, and very little reason for them to do that. I would be shocked if the HD wasn't removable.

Prepare to be shocked, because it doesn't appear to be any different than the current iMac. You gotta completely disassemble the thing to get to the HDD.
post #66 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Utterly underwhelming.

16:9 and no HDMI?
post #67 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Damn. I was really hoping apple would offer a descret video at under 1500$. Oh well,it's a hackintosh for me then.

To me, that is the big story. Once again the iMac is hobbled by its GPU.

Remember those financials Apple released yesterday, know why they were so good? Because Apple still pulls the same BS. Do you want the best video card available in a iMac? Then you have the buy the largest, most expensive model. No 4850 on the smaller machine. There no technical reason for this unless you consider maintaining Apple's huge profits a technical reason.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #68 of 846
Screens are 1080P & 27" is better then 1080P.

Watch the video.

http://www.apple.com/imac/the-new-imac/#large
post #69 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

From a distance you would be right. But sitting at normal computing distance, there would be a difference. However, that is assuming you had a high quality source. iTunes 720p HD is so low quality that it might as well be upscaled DVD. A BluRay, even at 720p would look vastly superior. Hell, an iTunes movie trailer at 720p typically looks far superior to the crap that they sell in the movie store.

While technically correct on most points I would disagree on the iTunes HD rentals being little better than upscaled DVD. I can see a hell of a difference on a 60" Sony HD TV.

On a related issue: Some people (I am not saying you did this) check out HD rental movies' previews on iTunes with ATV and are horrified at the quality. I did this at first but it turns out that some previews are SD even for HD movies. I don't know if they screw up the links at Apple's end or they don't bother making HD previews available for all HD movies... whichever, it is pretty silly. All HD movies should have HD previews in the rental section.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #70 of 846
I stopped into the Clarendon store just now. All the employees were hovered around the display laptops checking out the online apple store like the rest of us. They had none of the new hardware in the store yet, and said to check back this weekend.
post #71 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What is your preference?

I'll guess 2.39:1... clearly the man works all day on SUPER LONG spreadsheets that are only 10 rows tall!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #72 of 846
I'd take one of those 27" iMac screens in matte as an external display. Are the displays ever going to be updated again or are we stuck with 24" glossy and 30" obsolete??? it would be nice to have an external apple matte screen display option sometime before my mini-display port crippled mac book pro is obsolete.
post #73 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I use one for PS CS4 and it beats the mouse by a mile. I highly recommend one of the new Intuos 4 models. I don't use it for Final Cut however.

Thanks for the tip
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #74 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for the tip

Check 'em out here: http://www.wacom.com/intuos/
post #75 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

To me, that is the big story. Once again the iMac is hobbled by its GPU.

Remember those financials Apple released yesterday, know why they were so good? Because Apple still pulls the same BS. Do you want the best video card available in a iMac? Then you have the buy the largest, most expensive model. No 4850 on the smaller machine. There no technical reason for this unless you consider maintaining Apple's huge profits a technical reason.

-kpluck

Welcome to life. Want the best stereo option available for your new car? You better upgrade to the larger engine and an automatic transmission (yuck). It is frustrating, but it definitely isn't limited to Apple. This wouldn't be a major problem for me as if I were going to get an iMac it would be the 27" with the BTO i7 option.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #76 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte...

That's not really a reliable indicator. As well as forums being self selecting, how often do people who are happy with their choices/purchases bother to post that vs those who are dissatisfied? Much less frequently. A more reliable indicator is Apple's customer satisfaction ratings, which are quite high.

(I mean, if, for example, you look on askapatient.com and take that as an indicator of the effectiveness of various drugs, you would conclude that all drugs are worthless or will just make you worse, which might be the case for some drugs, but not at as high a level as that site would indicate.)
post #77 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Damn. I was really hoping apple would offer a descret video at under 1500$. Oh well,it's a hackintosh for me then.

for an extra $300 you get better video and a better HD. the price difference is small enough that a lot of people would just get both if there were 3 options instead of 2.

i just checked the Dell site and the prices are close enough to make me buy an iMac instead of a Dell if i was in the market for one now. even dell is using laptop CPU's on a lot of their models now.
post #78 of 846
They don't need to be cheaper - they're better! DUH! These are gorgeous and will sell like CRAZY!
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #79 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I'll guess 2.39:1... clearly the man works all day on SUPER LONG spreadsheets that are only 10 rows tall!

He should stop using 100 pixel high fonts then.

1920x1080 at 21.5" is better in many ways that 1680x1050 at 20" or 22", which are probably the most common monitor sizes.

Don't think of it as losing vertical resolution from 1920x1200.

The 27" 2560x1440 is lovely. The price is less so! The Core i7 has hyper threading, so it should appear as 8 cores, but I don't know if Snow Leopard uses this. I hope Apple replaced their 24" Cinema Display with a 27" Cinema Display with these specs.
post #80 of 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Not from what I've seen in forums. The vast majority demand matte, some say that they see the merits of both, and some say that they prefer glossy. But you would be surprised by the number of people I've seen who say that they will not buy a 13" MBP or an iMac with the super-glossy display. Any display that my parakeet keeps on pecking at is one that's to reflective to see the beautiful LED screen properly.

People only scream loudly when they don't get what they want. Besides these forums don't represent the average mac buyer anyway. In a store, glossy will look far more "pretty" to the average customer with deeper and more vibrant colors.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays