or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse

Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse - Page 3

post #81 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Instead it looks like a maxi pad.

That's it.. I was wondering where I've seen it before
post #82 of 135
What is the fetish with not offering a wired product?

This idea that everyone wants to buy crappy batteries to keep feeding the cost of a wireless product when you are just putting it on a damn desk is a waste of "innovation."
post #83 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

After the horror that the Mighty Mouse was, I will never buy another Apple mouse.

Such a delicate flower.

Out of five Mighty Mouses, three of them purchased shortly after they were introduced, we've had 0 hardware failures. They're ergonomically fine (I'm a technical writer and spend a lot of time using them).

If the scroll bean hangs up, turning the mouse upside down on a fabric surface and sliding it a bit brings it back to normal function.

Another case of YMMV.
post #84 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's it! MaxiMouse!

Does it come in red?
post #85 of 135
. . . .
post #86 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

. . . .

it's the monthly curse of the MaxiMouse!
post #87 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Mr. honest.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #88 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Instead it looks like a maxi pad.

OMG- solipsism is really Stewie Griffith!
post #89 of 135
I'm glad it's a fingertip mouse instead of one of those "ergonomic" things that you glom your hand on to (that's not ergonomic, it's just a last-ditch corrective for people who refuse to use a mouse ergonomically, with their fingertips). It also makes the mouse easier for kids to use, which is important for their K-12 customers (I assume, though, that they will deploy wired keyboards and mice to schools?!).

The nice thing about having it be a touchpad is that new features and capabilities are just a firmware update away. Then it won't just be 'Book users who get all the toys.

It looks better than the Mighty Mouse and it doesn't have that damnable little ball. It looks like context-click is a two finger tap, like the trackpads. This would be a huge win over the Mighty Mouse implementation if true.

Of course, it's impossible for me to say whether I like this mouse or not until I've actually tried it, but from what I can see it's a winner.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #90 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple caters to the artistes and not the financial world sadly.

I use the numeric keypad everyday and I'm not an accountant - the lack of a full featured wireless keyboard mystifies and annoys me every time I think about it. S'crazy there is no such thing.

Otherwise, the mouse looks like a pretty nifty little device and one would expect additional functionality could always be unlocked via software revision. Next step: use two and put the keyboard on the floor and learn to type with your toes, or employ a telepathic monkey to run the keyboard.
post #91 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmapple View Post

I use the numeric keypad everyday and I'm not an accountant - the lack of a full featured wireless keyboard mystifies and annoys me every time I think about it. S'crazy there is no such thing.

Otherwise, the mouse looks like a pretty nifty little device and one would expect additional functionality could always be unlocked via software revision. Next step: use two and put the keyboard on the floor and learn to type with your toes, or employ a telepathic monkey to run the keyboard.

I stopped fighting this battle a long time ago. It's the dumb down of evertything and Apple is included here. You can always get the older one like I have.Any kid who gets that chopped off wireless keyboard in the box is not off to a good educational experience as far as science and math are concerned. I saw a guy in the APple store and the salesman was trying to convince the buyer that it was better- so sad.
post #92 of 135
Quote:

MagicJack is a fairly spotty service... have you heard of or tried Ooma?

I love OOMA! I had a MagicJack and thought it was terrible, but love the clarity of the OOMA and heck no more phone bills, beats Vonage anyday.

Back on topic. I disliked the Mighty Mouse, I could never use it so I always swapped it out for a Logitech mouse. Looking at this new Magic Mouse, I'm excited to try it out. I say it's very innovative in it's concept and use but I will have to try it out to see if I like it or not.

Oh, did you see they still sell the Mighty Mouse renamed the Apple Mouse as a wired version of it in the Apples online store.
post #93 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I love OOMA! I had a MagicJack and thought it was terrible, but love the clarity of the OOMA and heck no more phone bills, beats Vonage anyday.

Back on topic. I disliked the Mighty Mouse, I could never use it so I always swapped it out for a Logitech mouse. Looking at this new Magic Mouse, I'm excited to try it out. I say it's very innovative in it's concept and use but I will have to try it out to see if I like it or not.

Oh, did you see they still sell the Mighty Mouse renamed the Apple Mouse as a wired version of it in the Apples online store.

Good to know about Ooma. A relative wants to buy it.

Nice to see Apple dropped the Mighty Mouse moniker too. No reason to pay that stupid licensing fee.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #94 of 135
Re: What's needed is a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad...

Quote:

Wacom, sir. Google it.

I don't want a great big ugly graphics pad that I have to use a pen with.

The closest thing might be the Logitech MediaBoard Pro, but it would look a lot better in silver rather than black, and it's not obvious whether it's 100% compatible with Mac OS X.

The demand is clearly there. Googling for "bluetooth keyboard and trackpad" shows a lot of people who have have Mac Mini media centers and are asking for exactly the same thing, just not many solutions...
post #95 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmapple View Post

Now that they have the Magic Mouse, I wonder if they could make it a virtual numeric keypad itself. You wouldn't have the actual numbers as a reference though. Or maybe eventually they can come out with another Super Magic Mouse that has little lights under the white shell that light up numbers when you go into "keypad mode" with a certain gesture......just a thought.
post #96 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

It would seem logical, yes (the no lifting for left click).
And if they also implemented the right click without lifting the finger, this mouse is genius.

Actually, it doesn't seem logica. Here's why... There are no buttons on this mouse. In order to not lift a finger, you have to apply tension to a spot. You also need the tactile feedback from the device. This device doesn't appear to have that. Therefore, lifting the finger and putting it back down seems to be the only logical solution. This is just like using the two finder gesture on the new Mac trackpads. you have to pick the fingers up and put them back down because there is no physical "button". You will have to get used to it but once you do, my bet is people will like it much better.

My only disappointment is that you can't zoom in/out via pinching.
post #97 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Now that they have the Magic Mouse, I wonder if they could make it a virtual numeric keypad itself. You wouldn't have the actual numbers as a reference though. Or maybe eventually they can come out with another Super Magic Mouse that has little lights under the white shell that light up numbers when you go into "keypad mode" with a certain gesture......just a thought.

I think you're not far off. Personally, I believe this mouse is coming from research they've been doing for an eventual multi-touch keyboard. Apple tends to build on successes and lets the losers fade away in the historical records. This little mouse is very, very interesting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #98 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

In the presentation video it seemed that in order to achieve a single (simple) click, the guy lifts his finger off the mouse first.
If that proves to be the case, then it's a major no-no.
Anyone knows how this actually works?

Otherwise, the mouse is pretty intriguing (in a good way).

You will have to lift your finger, just like you do on the new Trackpads on the Mac Laptops. The reason for this is there is no physical button on this mouse. It's all touch activated, using Capetence sensors. Once you get used to it, My bet is you'll like it.. just like the touchpads.
post #99 of 135
There has got to be a way to enable expose on this without touching the keyboard. Otherwise I really don't see how this mouse could replace any other one.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #100 of 135
Magic Mouse gets the Flip Off Gesture from me. Can't see using it for real DTP work. I read in this thread that you don't have to lift your finger but I can't see how it would work otherwise. How does it know how hard you are pressing? When I click on my Logitech, the button is spring loaded so I just stop pressing to release, but with no physical button how does it know I'm done pressing unless I lift my finger (as demonstrated in the video).

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #101 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Magic Mouse gets the Flip Off Gesture from me. Can't see using it for real DTP work. I read in this thread that you don't have to lift your finger but I can't see how it would work otherwise. How does it know how hard you are pressing? When I click on my Logitech, the button is spring loaded so I just stop pressing to release, but with no physical button how does it know I'm done pressing unless I lift my finger (as demonstrated in the video).

Give it a try... you might like it!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #102 of 135
i got so fed up with my mighty mouse that i literally destroyed it. very satisfying. when i started up on a more normal mouse, it was incredibly satisfying. like going back to os x or even windows after using linux for a few months. re mighty mouse, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if a ball on the bottom of a mouse doesn't work, an unserviceable ball on the top isn't going to be any better. the chances of me buying another apple mouse again are.......................zero. sorry apple.
post #103 of 135
Once someones gets a look at one, could you please post here and let us know if it's possible to configure a 3rd button click in the System Preferences menu?

This is a deal-breaker for anyone working in SketchUp (and I'm sure many other programs), and I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate having this info on the forum. Thanks.
post #104 of 135
Wow. It looks sleek, and probably a good upgrade from the Mighty Mouse.
...but Magic Mouse? (I almost wrote Mickey Mouse) A bit cheesy. And I am doubting about the ergonomics of this one. But I've never had it in my hand, so I'm only guessing.
post #105 of 135
I'm so glad that they made this, but is there a middle mouse button? We need that! Same with the side exposé buttons, does it have that? Can it work with Windows?

And most importantly to me... Can you click the right mouse button WHILE you hole the left mouse button? (and vice versa).

If it's not compatible with Windows or it can't click both buttons at once, then count me out!
post #106 of 135
Apple continues to ignore the professionals.

3 BUTTONS!! Ever use 3D software? THREE BUTTONS!!!

I was really looking forward to this mouse. But i'm stuck with the mighty...

I do understand, they're a consumer electronics company now and I shouldn't expect professional hardware from them anymore. They're quite successful at what they do, I just need to find the high end gear that I make a living using somewhere else now.
post #107 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I do understand, they're a consumer electronics company now and I shouldn't expect professional hardware from them anymore. They're quite successful at what they do, I just need to find the high end gear that I make a living using somewhere else now.

Buy your own 3 button mouse and plug it in. No one's stopping you.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #108 of 135
I wonder if Magic Mouse work with Windows. What if it is used with BootCamp?
post #109 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

There has got to be a way to enable expose on this without touching the keyboard. Otherwise I really don't see how this mouse could replace any other one.

This is such a dumb-ass comment on at least two or three different levels. I was going to write a whole "thing" about it but I'll just let you think about it and figure it out yourself.

hint: a more accurate statement would be "It's not for me."
post #110 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post

I would think you could do it like you do it with any mouse. Throw the cursor into one or more active screen corners you set up in System Preferences.
post #111 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What is the fetish with not offering a wired product?

This idea that everyone wants to buy crappy batteries to keep feeding the cost of a wireless product when you are just putting it on a damn desk is a waste of "innovation."

People always say this but it really hasn't been the case for a while. Especially not with Apple's wireless gear.

While the original (white plastic) Apple wireless keyboard sucked batteries to the tune of four AA's every 2 - 4 weeks, the new keyboard get's at least a few months out of the same batteries.

I change the batteries in mine about every four months on average. Apple's wireless keyboard is bar none the best keyboard I've ever used in my life and I've been using computers since Vic 20 days.
post #112 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Try this Wacom product. It's not huge and you don't need a pen to use it. http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_touch.php

Not sure how well it works, but Amazon has it for $59 I think. Might be worth a try. Personally, I wish Apple would just make a desktop version of the unibody MBP track pad in a nice aluminum housing. Give it a short USB cable to connect to a wired keyboard or make it bluetooth. Either way, that would be cool. Next closest thing right now is the Bamboo. Not gonna work for the Mac Mini media center people, but it would be a nice alternative to the mouse for a desktop application.
post #113 of 135
I am going to masturbate to the magic mouse.
post #114 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

There are tens of third party mouses and I doubt that any professional will settle for the mouse that comes with their computers. I remember few years ago when I used AutoCAD on daily basis I went a head and paid more than $100 for top of the line trackball mouse.
post #115 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

And how do you get the middle mouse button click with this?

And I hope you don't have to lift your finger off the surface of the mouse then touch it again to make it work, mighty mouse style.

Doesn't Logitech have a few of those..?
post #116 of 135
Quote:

I'd be willing to bet Magic Mouse will also take gesture input, so you could conceivably draw a "Z" on the mouse and go instantly into Spaces if you want. This is a major, MAJOR slap at Microsoft since they just "demoed" their multi-touch mice weeks ago. The hits keep rolling at Apple!

exactly where's that ms junk vapourware that engadget aka crappy ms gadgets was showcasing?

this looks like an incredible innovative product from apple.

not that we expected anything less.

great stuff.
post #117 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

The closest thing might be the Logitech MediaBoard Pro, but it would look a lot better in silver rather than black, and it's not obvious whether it's 100% compatible with Mac OS X.

The demand is clearly there. Googling for "bluetooth keyboard and trackpad" shows a lot of people who have have Mac Mini media centers and are asking for exactly the same thing, just not many solutions...

the diNovo Edge is what you want, stellar piece of equipment, love it, rather pricey though
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
post #118 of 135
Woot woot apple have made a new "revolutionary" product
post #119 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by buceta View Post

I am going to masturbate to the magic mouse.

Or buff your bunions.
post #120 of 135
they should have called it the iMighty mouse!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new multi-touch $69 Bluetooth Magic Mouse