or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Inside the Magic Mouse

Inside the Magic Mouse - Page 4

post #121 of 129
After playing with this mouse at the Apple store yesterday I realized that this mouse is alot like the Mighty Mouse. It does have two buttons.. sort of. It's basically a very well balanced rocker switch. If you have your fingers resting on the mouse, and you push down with the right finger it "right clicks". If you push down with the left finger it "left clicks" and you actually feel the surface go down and click in that direction. It's better balanced than the mighty mouse so I always got this feature to work which occasionally didn't with the mighty mouse. Where it supercedes the mighty mouse is the scroll wheel. The surface works perfectly for scrolling.. I had no errors doing what I needed to do. My only gripe about the mouse is that I would prefer a wired one. having to buy batteries or even use rechargable ones makes no sense to me. I use my computer at my desk so a wired mouse for me is a luxury.
post #122 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtKaffee View Post

Agreed. Absolute deal-breaker. I don't often play FPSs, but when I do I want them to work right.

Guess I'll be sticking with my trusty Rocketfish.

Nope.. I played with one.. It works EXACTLY like the might mouse when it comes to right and left clicking. You DO NOT have to lift your fingers. the whole top of the mouse is a balanced Rocker Switch and IMHO is even more balanced than the mighty mouse. I never once clicked in the wrong place to do a right click. VERY NATURAL
post #123 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Here's my $0.02. Sounds like it uses a real "click", i.e. microswitch, to sense button pushes, so that alleviates some of my fears about resting fingers on the body.
- Jasen.

Yes it does.. VERY accurate and VERY natural. I played with one at the Apple Store. I just wish Apple were more clear about this because I too thought it would be a touch click but it is indeed kind of like the bottom part of the Apple's new Touch pads on their Macbook lines. Of course it's at the top part of the mouse where the fingers rest. You do have to enable secondary click however in the systems preferences.
post #124 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

After playing with this mouse at the Apple store yesterday I realized that this mouse is alot like the Mighty Mouse. It does have two buttons.. sort of. It's basically a very well balanced rocker switch. If you have your fingers resting on the mouse, and you push down with the right finger it "right clicks". If you push down with the left finger it "left clicks" and you actually feel the surface go down and click in that direction.

Thanks for sharing the review. Do you mean that it's {b}not{/b} like the Mighty Mouse if it has a rocker because the Mighty Mouse only had a single button and required you to lift off to do a right-click?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

My only gripe about the mouse is that I would prefer a wired one. having to buy batteries or even use rechargable ones makes no sense to me. I use my computer at my desk so a wired mouse for me is a luxury.

Yeah, wired would be nice as an option but it might have been too light for doing touch movements. I think 2 x AA will make it too heavy but it needs to have some weight. They could have added extra weight to the wired one though. Plus, they sell the wireless keyboard standard now. I hope the batteries get the 4 months they claim otherwise it does become a bit of a pain switching them.

Would you be able to test out the pairing ability? I'm interested in how easy it is to use with a laptop and a desktop. Can you for example pair the mouse with 2 machines and switch between them without having to pair it up again? Also, if two machine are close to each other, does it control both at once or does it just start working with the nearest one?
post #125 of 129
Filling up landfills with expensive (environmentally expensive to produce) toxic batteries is not very green of Apple. I wonder with the new gesture capable mouse how long a pair will even last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

At least they're cheap and available everywhere... ...and you don't have to send your mouse to California.
post #126 of 129
I have major doubts about the "reviews" so far. I found the magic mouse on display at Apple, and it had no multitouch functionality yet, due to no software update yet.

And NO, right click did NOT work without lifting up the left finger. This is how it worked in the store on a new iMac running 10.6.1.

So again, I highly question anyone who has reviewed this product yet, as without a public 10.6.2 the multitouch features are not active.
post #127 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Filling up landfills with expensive (environmentally expensive to produce) toxic batteries is not very green of Apple. I wonder with the new gesture capable mouse how long a pair will even last...

Get a grip on yourself. Unplug your house, light a candle, and feel better about absolutely nothing. That's what you accomplish by doing so.

Ever hear of rechargeable AA batteries?
post #128 of 129
Wacom bamboo. Wired only. Some support pen, touch, or both. On the touch models No 3 or 4 fingers supported, though. Supports pinch to zoom and a couple of other things that the magic mouse doesn't. Im limited to 2 finger scrolling and the magic mouse disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

At least they're cheap and available everywhere... ...and you don't have to send your mouse to California.

I love Apple products in general, but have hated every mouse they've ever brought out. I couldn't get a Mighty Mouse to do anything I wanted it to.

On the other hand, I looove Apple trackpads, especially when I have to use a Windows TP for more than 10 seconds and start swearing. And the more I use TP's, Mac TP's that is, which are always where I want them to be, the less I like fumbling around for a mouse.

The most "innovative" thing to do IMHO would have been to offer an optional KB that included the current MBP TP! Also one less piece of desktop clutter, one less device with batt's to go dead.

Does any 3rd party offer such a thing?? Or could they even do so without violating Apple IP?

Hardly. See above.
post #129 of 129
Is it possible to tell if the hardware in the new magic mouse would support 3 or 4 fingers, pinch to zoom, reverse pinch, or rotate? I know the hardware in the MB without multi-touch, but with 2 finger scrolling are limited. Are more features something that a third party could activate or a future update?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Inside the Magic Mouse