or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Connecting a PS3 to the new 27" iMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Connecting a PS3 to the new 27" iMac

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Being all excited about the new 27" iMac and the fact that I might be a Mac user soon as well, I started wondering if a will be able to connect my PS3 to a new iMac (I don't own a HD TV).

The specs state that the iMac supports input from external DisplayPort sources, but the PS3 uses HDMI for the output. Does any of you pros out there know if there is a proper way to use the HD output of the PS3 on this great new display? I care less about losing the multi channel audio by the way, just 2-channel would do.
post #2 of 44
Well, I figure you'll need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter (cheap) and a DVI-to-MiniDisplayPort adapter (really expensive), connected together. And that won't be a "protected pathway" for HDCP, so Blu-Ray movies will be downscaled to low resolution.
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Well, I figure you'll need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter (cheap) and a DVI-to-MiniDisplayPort adapter (really expensive), connected together. And that won't be a "protected pathway" for HDCP, so Blu-Ray movies will be downscaled to low resolution.

You can do HDCP over DVI. Whether the iMac will properly handshake is a different question.

You can buy one of these HDMI to MDP adapters for $10.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

This thing sold out nearly instantly as far as I could tell:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I'll have to wait for the next batch.
post #4 of 44
Won't work. Although display adapters with DisplayPort connectors on them can pass through DVI signals, displayport displays do not accept DVI/HDMI signals.

There is an adapter for $175 but it can't output a high enough resolution to run the 27 inch iMac's display which I assume doesn't have a scaler.

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html

So I'm guessing that means no blu-ray players, DTV boxes, PS3, Wii, or any other hardware that doesn't output DisplayPort.

Everybody's gonna try this too... This is gonna piss people off more than that whole firewire fiasco.
post #5 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

So I'm guessing that means no blu-ray players, DTV boxes, PS3, Wii, or any other hardware that doesn't output DisplayPort.

Everybody's gonna try this too... This is gonna piss people off more than that whole firewire fiasco.

It might be that this one is gonna do the trick: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

I assume the iMac will only allow for HDCP signals to be inputted over the DisplayPort? Since the PS3 outputs a HDCP signal, it seems that there might not be a problem, right? In case any one has been able to try this out already, I can wait to hear the results!
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

It might be that this one is gonna do the trick: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

I assume the iMac will only allow for HDCP signals to be inputted over the DisplayPort? Since the PS3 outputs a HDCP signal, it seems that there might not be a problem, right? In case any one has been able to try this out already, I can wait to hear the results!

HDCP is just the encryption standard. DVI/HDMI and Displayport are completely different types of signals and are absolutely 100% not compatible with each other. The only reason you can use DVI displays with displayport computers is because the graphics chip in there can output whatever signal it feels like. Displays like the ACD don't accept DVI/HDMI, HDCP or not so I can only assume the iMac is the same.

Nobody will know until someone tries it but I'm almost positive there is no possible way to connect anything to it that doesn't output displayport at it's native resolution.

Tv's and many PC displays can do this because they have a magic chip in there that converts different resolutions and signals to whatever the display runs at. Apple displays, as far as I know do not support scaling at all.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You can do HDCP over DVI. Whether the iMac will properly handshake is a different question.

I just have a bad feeling about multiple adapters being connected together. When the signal is getting changed, as it is from HDMI to DisplayPort, something usually gets lost in the translation.

DVI to HDMI and back just takes a simple adapter, a connector changer really, because they use the same digital video signal. Same with DP to miniDP and vice-versa. And DisplayPort can (as it does on Macs) carry an embedded DVI signal, which is why a simple adapter allows you to connect a Macbook to a single-link DVI display. Connecting a dual-link DVI display requires an active adapter that bypasses the native DVI and actually converts the DisplayPort video signal to something the monitor can understand, which is why said adapter seems to have problems with some displays.

HDMI to DisplayPort is going in the opposite direction, and to a display of such resolution that it would require a dual-link DVI signal on top of that. Well, that wouldn't be a problem with a PS3, since it can't output more than 1080p anyway.

The bottom line is that this would require a couple of expensive active (powered) adapters to talk to each other and not eff up the DRM in the video in the process. It's more complicated than it looks. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but someone is going to have to try it to find out.
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I just have a bad feeling about multiple adapters being connected together. When the signal is getting changed, as it is from HDMI to DisplayPort, something usually gets lost in the translation.

DVI to HDMI and back just takes a simple adapter, a connector changer really, because they use the same digital video signal. Same with DP to miniDP and vice-versa. And DisplayPort can (as it does on Macs) carry an embedded DVI signal, which is why a simple adapter allows you to connect a Macbook to a single-link DVI display. Connecting a dual-link DVI display requires an active adapter that bypasses the native DVI and actually converts the DisplayPort video signal to something the monitor can understand, which is why said adapter seems to have problems with some displays.

HDMI to DisplayPort is going in the opposite direction, and to a display of such resolution that it would require a dual-link DVI signal on top of that. Well, that wouldn't be a problem with a PS3, since it can't output more than 1080p anyway.

The bottom line is that this would require a couple of expensive active (powered) adapters to talk to each other and not eff up the DRM in the video in the process. It's more complicated than it looks. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but someone is going to have to try it to find out.

You would need both these devices, and until someone tests that out there is no way to know.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801855
post #9 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

You would need both these devices, and until someone tests that out there is no way to know.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801855

Just headed out to a Premium Reseller store here in The Netherlands to watch the new iMacs and asked the guy if it would be possible to hook up a PS3. I wonder if the guy knew what he was saing when he said that it indeed should be possible.

Anyway, the i7 variant was supposed to be available from the store from next week Monday, so seems it will soon be possible to test it on a large scale.
post #10 of 44
Interested in the function of this also...

And wondering about audio from the PS3 into the iMac speakers...?

Biggest question, 27" Quad Core iMac / PlayStation 3 combo; or PlayStation 3 / 40" Sony Bravia HDTV/Mac mini (server version?) combo...?!?

Overall cost is similar; computing power (+ for the iMac) & functionality (+ for the Mac mini if server version?) are different; and the latter choice has larger screen (but lower resolution)...
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Just headed out to a Premium Reseller store here in The Netherlands to watch the new iMacs and asked the guy if it would be possible to hook up a PS3. I wonder if the guy knew what he was saing when he said that it indeed should be possible.

Anyway, the i7 variant was supposed to be available from the store from next week Monday, so seems it will soon be possible to test it on a large scale.

This has already been tested, and you will need some sort of conversion device. The iMac, by itself is not HDMI/DVI compatible.

So, if your looking to hook up something like a PS3 or other device without display port, expect to spend around $250. Hopefully it will be cheaper soon as quite a few companies are planning on coming out with better versions of these soon.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801855
post #12 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

This has already been tested, and you will need some sort of conversion device. The iMac, by itself is not HDMI/DVI compatible.

You are absolutely right BDBLACK. I sent an e-mail to iFixit to see if they could test it which they have. They found out that just a simple HDMI-mDP cable doesn't do the trick, there is no image on the iMac. Too bad!

Since you say that the iMac itself is not HDMI/DVI compatible, a solution to program software to somehow convert the signal on the iMac is not an option, correct?

What is the way to find out if Apple is planning some kind of adapter for this? Clearly a lot of people will be wanting one!
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

You are absolutely right BDBLACK. I sent an e-mail to iFixit to see if they could test it which they have. They found out that just a simple HDMI-mDP cable doesn't do the trick, there is no image on the iMac. Too bad!

Since you say that the iMac itself is not HDMI/DVI compatible, a solution to program software to somehow convert the signal on the iMac is not an option, correct?

What is the way to find out if Apple is planning some kind of adapter for this? Clearly a lot of people will be wanting one!

Absolutely, there will be some kind of adapter coming out... I already posted a link to one for the 24 inch cinema display. I'm not sure if it will work on the iMac because it can't output at the correct resolution. I'm also guessing the iMac has no upscaling so the device would need to upscale the DVI signal to match the iMac, then convert to DisplayLink.

If the iMac has upscaling then its way easier.
post #14 of 44
arrg...

expected this input video to be used as a space in OSX...
post #15 of 44
Well, I have been reading through several different forums and have been on the edge about my purchase of the new 27in iMac... this what i have determined. dual reasons for purchasing this system; want a Mac desktop and make the full switch to apple and to connect my PS3 to this through the new input. same thing everybody else is dying to do.
here is the good news... as previously mentioned the only way to functionally connect the ps3(or any other stand-alone, non-miniDP connection) to the 24in Cinema display was through the use of two different adapters. the Atlona DVI to mini DisplayPort Convertor (to change your signal) and then to deal with the difference in native resolution you needed the HDMI/DVI Scaler. this process has been confirmed to work with the 24in Apple Cinema Display... like i said... I'm sure you are all aware of this already.
Not so easy with the 27in iMac. First step would work but the second step does not because the iMac's native resolution is a staggering 2560x1440... well above the max single-link DVI connection of only 1900x1200 (basically full HD...1080p)...... drum roll please...... I just got off the phone with Atlona to address this issue and the service rep told me that....in about a weeks time.... the new model of this same scaler will come out and WILL be able to upscale to the level of 2560x1440. While there are no guarantees here and I am going off of the word of this Rep and his project manager... this is so damn exciting news, right? granted some tests would be required for the 100% compatibility and all that stuff... but if I am reading correctly this would solve the one issue everybody is having. native resolution. godspeed!
oh yes... the Rep said to call before you purchased it... he said about a week and it would be out. but basically you want to call to confirm you are in fact purchasing the NEW model that upscales to the correct resolution. good luck!
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustypetersen View Post

I just got off the phone with Atlona to address this issue and the service rep told me that....in about a weeks time....

Cool news, but what is the cost? Last I checked it was cheaper to buy a 27" TV. At that size, playing a game, 720 is usually enough, too.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if someone builds a cheap, specialized adapter for PS3 --> iMac sooner or later. It can't be that hard. Fuck, I might do it.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #17 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustypetersen View Post

he said about a week and it would be out.

Great research dustypetersen! I am looking forward to the release and am very interested what the pricing will be. Keep us posted!

I am curious if other well-known cable/adapter suppliers will launch any of these products soon as well.
post #18 of 44
The price should remain the same.

$180 for the AT-DP200, and $240 for the scaler, for a whopping total of $420. Wow. There's no reason not to buy a freaking HDTV unless your concern is space.

It seems the problem here is that the iMac ONLY seems to accept 2560x1440 input and cannot scale on its own. This seems like a simple thing for Apple to fix if they cared.
post #19 of 44
Thread Starter 
Are there any developments in order to be able to play the PS3 on the iMac any time soon?
post #20 of 44
I received my 27" g5 yesterday and as expected it does not support external HDMI simply by using an HDMI to mini-display cable and cmd-F2.

On going through the various levels of Mac support, they finally confirmed that the only way to get HD content onto a iMac is via itunes and that's only 720p...

They did suggest third party adapters may provide a solution but it would not (of course) be supported by Apple and there were no garantees. Interestingly, it was also stated that HDCP was not supported.

Anyway, I'm returning my iMac as I primarily wanted a great screen to watch HD TV via external HDMI.

Furture support for HDMI was not ruled out by the bod I spoke to (but then again I wouldn't have expected anything else...)
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlake View Post

Anyway, I'm returning my iMac as I primarily wanted a great screen to watch HD TV via external HDMI.

Then why didn't you just buy a tv?
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #22 of 44
So I have been in talks with Atlona's product manager, and he said that they are currently working on a product for the 27" imac that is both a scaler and the converter in one box so you would no longer need to buy 2 seperate devices. The device will be approximately $250 and is expected to be released in January.
post #23 of 44
I still don't understand why the iMac can't do the scaling internally. Apple really crippled iMac as an external display in this way. $250 just for the adaptor (when it's available) is a bit much.
post #24 of 44
An adaptor to do this was announced recently:

http://gizmodo.com/5427186/adapter-p...n-your-imac-27

No price or date of availability but it's one to look out for. It will probably appear in this section of their site when it comes out:

http://www.apogeeinc.net/products/av...rt_cables.aspx
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 
Great! I'm curious (afraid) to hear the price though! I also wonder what this adapter does with audio, will that be inputted to the iMac as well?
post #26 of 44
They'll eventually add HDMI and call it a feature.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #27 of 44
Thread Starter 
Any news on recently released hardware to connect the PS3 to the iMac?
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Any news on recently released hardware to connect the PS3 to the iMac?

I saw this on TUAW:

TUAW article on Kanex XD for iMac 27"

The product page is here:

Kanex XD for iMac 27"

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #29 of 44
With this topic, it is important to note the difference between an adapter and a converter. Many people use the terms incorrectly. At times the distinction between the two doesn't matter. But in conversations like this it does.

Adapter = physical adapter = simple metal and plastic to change the shape of the plug and location of pins or contact plates

converter = contains electronics to change the electrical signals passing through the device. Converters are also typically physical adapters as well , but not always.
post #30 of 44
Can the iMac and PS3 be connected wirelessly? Then an adaptor or converter isn't needed. Or am I just naive? Technically challenged?
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #31 of 44
I'm sick of this! Why doesn't apple give us Blueray and HDMI for god's sake?! Why expensive adapters? HDMI is a common standard. Blueray is almost a standard. Stop dickking us around. The usual answers to this question is: Apple knows best. Apple doesn't follow others. Go buy a PC. Not good enough! We've waited years for a SD card reader. Do we need to wait a decade for Blueray and HDMI?
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Can the iMac and PS3 be connected wirelessly? Then an adaptor or converter isn't needed. Or am I just naive? Technically challenged?

Answer: C

They can be connected by either wire or wirelessly. The problem is that they don't know how to communicate with each other, no matter the transport mechanism. It would be easier to fix the wired interconnect than to come up with a completely non-standard wifi-based video connection.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

I'm sick of this! Why doesn't apple give us Blueray and HDMI for god's sake?! Why expensive adapters? HDMI is a common standard. Blueray is almost a standard. Stop dickking us around. The usual answers to this question is: Apple knows best. Apple doesn't follow others. Go buy a PC. Not good enough! We've waited years for a SD card reader. Do we need to wait a decade for Blueray and HDMI?

They must be doing it just to dick you over. Obviously, there couldn't possibly be a reason.
post #34 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I saw this on TUAW:

Great MacRonin! It seems this will be doing THE trick. I wonder if any other companies will bring similar products though. I am sure, the price could get lower!
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

I'm sick of this! Why doesn't apple give us Blueray and HDMI for god's sake?! Why expensive adapters? HDMI is a common standard. Blueray is almost a standard. Stop dickking us around. The usual answers to this question is: Apple knows best. Apple doesn't follow others. Go buy a PC. Not good enough! We've waited years for a SD card reader. Do we need to wait a decade for Blueray and HDMI?

In the case of the iMac 27, it probably came down to development schedules and component availability for the HDMI. For the bluray, the official line was licensing terms. I'm not sure I buy this, but that is supposedly the reason. I think the real reason is that Apple knows there's not a great Bluray player other than the PS3 ... the technology hasn't been perfected yet outside of Sony, and you know how Apple can be about making sure every detail is just so.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

In the case of the iMac 27, it probably came down to development schedules and component availability for the HDMI. For the bluray, the official line was licensing terms. I'm not sure I buy this, but that is supposedly the reason. I think the real reason is that Apple knows there's not a great Bluray player other than the PS3 ... the technology hasn't been perfected yet outside of Sony, and you know how Apple can be about making sure every detail is just so.

Unless I missed something, no official reason has ever been given for the lack of blu-ray.

Jobs has famously said "bag of hurt" in reference to blu-ray. Licensing may have even been commented on at some point during an a shareholders call.

But as far as I know, Apple has never specifically said "this is why we don't do blu-ray".
post #37 of 44
Thread Starter 
Wrapping things up it seems there are two tactically equal priced solutions out there now:

Belkin 1080p:
http://store.apple.com/us/questions/...co=MTgzOTUwMDU

Kanex 720p:
http://kanexlive.com/products/item-id-3662.html

Did anybody hear about some more attractively priced Asian version?

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Wrapping things up it seems there are two tactically equal priced solutions out there now:

Belkin 1080p:
http://store.apple.com/us/questions/...co=MTgzOTUwMDU

Kanex 720p:
http://kanexlive.com/products/item-id-3662.html

Did anybody hear about some more attractively priced Asian version?


I have PC window 7 and iMac G5 connected to shaw internet thorough hab with eithernet.
We aslo have PS3 connected to TV with Shawcable, they are wired.

I just got a new iMac 27” monitor and keep this one as wireless.

So quiestions are
How to share files betweeen three computers? One is wireless but two are connected with eithernet

How to connect the new iMac to internet wirelessly?

How to play music we download onto the iTunes on PC and iMacs through PS3 wirelessly?

How to watch video or movies we download onto the iTunes or desktop on PC and iMacs through PS3
on the TV screen wirelessly?


If anyone out there who can give me step by step instructions that would be fantastic.
post #39 of 44
man... still can't deside if this is worth its asking price..
half what a PS3 costs??


come on! there has got to be a cheaper solution...
post #40 of 44
This product ain't cheap, but, it's the one! This will support the highest resolution possible on the iMac 27. http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MI...-SWITCHER.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Connecting a PS3 to the new 27" iMac