or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales

post #1 of 152
Thread Starter 
While sales of portable machines saw tremendous growth during Apple's last financial quarter, desktop sales lagged behind. But the release of new iMacs this week is predicted to change that in a big way.

Piper Jaffray

Following the announcement of new hardware from Apple on Tuesday, Piper Jaffray Senior Research Analyst Gene Munster issued a new note to investors, in which he predicted that the new iMacs will help Apple's desktop market rebound during the December quarter. In the September quarter, desktop Macs saw a year-over-year decline in sales of 16 percent.

"The headwind that existed in the Sept. quarter due to aging Mac desktops has now been turned into a tailwind for Mac units in the Dec. quarter," Munster told investors.

In all, he expects 2.86 million total Macs to be sold in the company's first quarter of its 2010 fiscal year. That would put sales up 13 percent year-over-year -- a number that Munster said could prove conservative, given that total Mac sales of portables and desktops were up 17 percent in the September frame.

Given Tuesday's releases, he believes that Wall Street expectations for Mac sales could also be conservative.

Apple this week released new, thinner 21.5-inch and 27-inch redesigned iMacs; a new MacBook with a unibody polycarbonate design and LED-backlit display; and faster Mac minis, including one new Mac OS X Server option. The company also released a new multi-touch mouse known as the Magic Mouse that will work across the Mac lineup.

Munster said Apple's guidance for the September quarter of $1.70 to $1.78 earnings per share under the generally accepted accounting principles is conservative, though slightly less than usual. However, he said, the release of new Macs so early in the quarter means it is still likely well below what the hardware maker will actually earn.

Piper Jaffray once again reiterated its overweight rating on AAPL stock and has maintained a price target of $277.

Kaufman Bros.

Similarly, analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. said that the new iMac and Magic Mouse are the most intriguing products announced by Apple Tuesday. He said the new iMac offers value to consumers and is positioned to be a "sleeper hit."

In his note to investors, Wu said it was particularly interesting that Apple decided to launch so many new products without holding a special event. He called the timing of new products "sooner than expected and somewhat curious."

Wu, also, said the new iMac is poised to provide a boost to the desktop Mac business, which struggled last quarter.

"We believe this refresh will ensure that strong Mac momentum is maintained and allow desktop Macs to once again be a growth business," he said.

In addition, the new Magic Mouse was viewed as another example of "horizontal integration," with Apple employing its multi-touch technology across numerous products. This strategy, Wu said, allows the Mac maker to leverage its research and development investments, and also makes it easier for new customers to learn to use other Apple products.

"We believe the Magic Mouse could serve as a key differentiator for the Mac, bringing its multi-touch technology from its iPhone and iPod touch," he said.

Kaufman Bros. restated its buy rating for AAPL and has maintained a price target of $235.
post #2 of 152
While not taking anything away from the new iMacs, they are really great. However, many still crave a mid sized, well priced desk top (as in a tower) so they can 'tinker' with cards yet don't need the high end Mac Pro. I am lucky enough to own a Mac Pro but I often wonder if I didn't need one for work if I'd go for an iMac after always being able to change cards. I also suspect many PC Geeks may prefer this approach too and be more likely to switch if they can mess with the insides at a price they can afford.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #3 of 152
Apple's timing with these updates was perfect.

I think Apple is in for another record quarter, thanks to the hardware refresh + Christmas.
post #4 of 152
My kids broke my 24" iMac last week, they snagged the power cord and it went flying off of my desk and smashed the screen. My insurance company picked up the iMac this week with the view to repair or replace it. Kinda hoping they replace it with the 27" one now, seeing as it is cheaper too.

Also, beware, Apple didn't use safety glass so. If your iMac glass screen breaks it shatters and is razor sharp.
post #5 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Many still crave a mid sized desk top

Who is "many"? Many on Apple fansites? Which means a minority of a minority of Apple's market.

If there was actually enough demand for it, we might have seen one already. Desktop sales are horrible in the entire industry. Apple isn't going to spend time developing a hole into which they can throw money.
post #6 of 152
While I really like the new iMac and even want one to replace my current Aluminum 24", there is not enough there to entice me to do this. The SD card slot is way over do, the 16:9 ratio is nice and I would love to have the extra width when doing my CAD work, and the LED is another one of those nice things that I just can live without until something happens to my current machine. The only reason worth upgrading IMHO is the quad core option.

However, I am not going to pay a high premium for the quad core during this economy. I am in Fusion all day long with AutoCAD and while the extra processors would be nice, I don't think this will move those with an aluminum display to move now.

It might entice new buyers though.

I will tell you what would have been nice and made me make a purchase. A quad core in a 13" MBP.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #7 of 152
Hahah the new iMac is the best ever, im not surprised
post #8 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who is "many"? Many on Apple fansites? Which means a minority of a minority of Apple's market.

If there was actually enough demand for it, we might have seen one already. Desktop sales are horrible in the entire industry. Apple isn't going to spend time developing a hole into which they can throw money.

And who exactly was clamoring for a 16:9 display?? Scientists? Financial analysts? And to offer it without Blu-ray? RIDICULOUS.
post #9 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's timing with these updates was perfect.

I think Apple is in for another record quarter, thanks to the hardware refresh + Christmas.

Not available until November for the only one worth buying and that's "perfect"? Keep smoking.
post #10 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple isn't going to spend time developing a hole into which they can throw money.

"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #11 of 152
The new iMac are great IMO! I have a 2007 24" iMac (1st gen aluminum iMac) and still don't really need a replacement but the new macs make me want to buy one! I am considering moving the 24" to the kids and getting 4 core for myself, seriously!
post #12 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's timing with these updates was perfect.

I think Apple is in for another record quarter, thanks to the hardware refresh + Christmas.

Whether or not the timing was perfect (i.e. air freight costs), Apple is in for another record quarter.

There still looks to be a small MacPro bump in Nov.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #13 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not available until November for the only one worth buying and that's "perfect"? Keep smoking.

Look at the clock, pal. 10 days left til November. The timing IS perfect. Think you're scoring points for these silly negative posts?

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #14 of 152
No matter what you guys say, I know I'm getting one. ASAP.
post #15 of 152
Did they ever stop and think that the reliance on all in ones and small form factor machines might be a major reason desktop sales are sagging. The general users are moving to laptops and desktop users just aren't interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who is "many"? Many on Apple fansites? Which means a minority of a minority of Apple's market.

If there was actually enough demand for it, we might have seen one already. Desktop sales are horrible in the entire industry. Apple isn't going to spend time developing a hole into which they can throw money.

So that settles it, we'll also get rid of the Macbook Pros with discrete graphics and the Macbook Air and the xserve and just have one or two models for very ordinary users. Get off the kool aid and use your head a little bit. Where does Apple play that isn't a niche?
post #16 of 152
At this price point, with the Magic Mouse and the wireless keyboard, the iMac is more and more starting to look like a computing tv replacement...
post #17 of 152
Of course desktop sales is lagging behind. I think most people don't want a big computer, but rather something small that you could tuck away or take with you. In these days notebooks are perfect for anybody but hardcore computer gamers or heavy/pro users.

Now these new iMac specs look fantastic! Really cool with a 4-core and all.. but who is it for? Not everybody. For a decreasing number of people I think. I think notebooks are for everybody today. Times have changed.

What about the future? The days of the glorious iMac could actually numbered. Notebooks will cover most computer needs as they get better and better. Then the Mac Mini and Apple TV + HDTV could cover other needs, with upped performance.

Then the Mac Pro for the pros... I guess will sadly get even more expensive since they sell fewer and fewer of them.
post #18 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And who exactly was clamoring for a 16:9 display?? Scientists? Financial analysts? And to offer it without Blu-ray? RIDICULOUS.

They did go 16:9 but they did it right, you have to give them credit. A 1920x1080 is a high resolution even though it's 16:9. Could be worse, look at all the PC's in the $1100-$1500 range, they are using the 1680x960 res which (and I'm using one) is a little off. HP's are 1920x1080 but they start a lot higher (touchscreen too).

Spreadsheets might actually look and work well in that ratio. I know the medical clinic's I manage, got a call last night about getting in 2 27's for CT,Xray, Ultrasound work... Looks like it hit home with a lot of people.

The blu-ray issue... Not sure why we didn't see that... It can't be licensing because Final Cut supports it, The OS itself supports it (FreeBSD shows support for BR Burning and reading). I think the Codec's for playback may be the issue still or cost/ability to produce enough slot loads. I've got an external coming in, once I know I'll post about it.

That MacMini bump... That was a smooth move though. The top-end Mini is now more than worth the price IMO. And the low end is a bargain. It's a very efficient system that produces desktop performance. A Mini MacPro would be sweet. I'd go for something at $999 with the High End Mini specs, ATI 46xx graphics and Desktop RAM and HD.
post #19 of 152
Yeah, they should have "huge" growth. They may get clear up to 10% market share I shouldn't wonder.

I think it interesting that Windows has just experienced it's biggest mis-step in its entire existance with Vista, and Apple gained a wopping 2.5% market share. BTW, that growth has primarily been driven by their gadget market share.

But then, apple would not be able to continue to be apple in the PC world if they gain a significant market share.
post #20 of 152
I'm ordering the beefed up 27" today. There is enough meat there to warrant an upgrade, IMO. I was a little confused about the video where there is much gushing about how the screen goes out to the edges and then disappears. I still see plenty of aluminum and masking on the front.

Still... very nice. And affordable 8 GB RAM option! They should sell a ton of these.

The prior poster on hoping his insurance comes through with a replacement. Don't hold your breath. I just went through this and I had a very specific business rider that covered a dying Mac and its immediate replacement with State Farm. Long story short, I had an office iMac die. Pushed the power button and nothing. No way to troubleshoot it. It fit all the criteria.

State Farm waffled for 6 months and finally decided to renege on their policy as well as their verbal promise to move quickly on replacement. Final Result? No replacement, but the cost of 'repair' of an ancient iMac G5. After deductible and many hours lost debating on the phone, I ended up with $250 net.

I hope you have better luck. It would be awesome to receive the newer model as replacement!
post #21 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm ordering the beefed up 27" today. There is enough meat there to warrant an upgrade, IMO. I was a little confused about the video where there is much gushing about how the screen goes out to the edges and then disappears. I still see plenty of aluminum and masking on the front.

Still... very nice. And affordable 8 GB RAM option! They should sell a ton of these.

The prior poster on hoping his insurance comes through with a replacement. Don't hold your breath. I just went through this and I had a very specific business rider that covered a dying Mac and its immediate replacement with State Farm. Long story short, I had an office iMac die. Pushed the power button and nothing. No way to troubleshoot it. It fit all the criteria.

State Farm waffled for 6 months and finally decided to renege on their policy as well as their verbal promise to move quickly on replacement. Final Result? No replacement, but the cost of 'repair' of an ancient iMac G5. After deductible and many hours lost debating on the phone, I ended up with $250 net.

I hope you have better luck. It would be awesome to receive the newer model as replacement!

Did you notice 4 ram slots. If I had money I'd get one in a heartbeat.
post #22 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

They did go 16:9 but they did it right, you have to give them credit. A 1920x1080 is a high resolution even though it's 16:9. Could be worse, look at all the PC's in the $1100-$1500 range, they are using the 1680x960 res which (and I'm using one) is a little off. HP's are 1920x1080 but they start a lot higher (touchscreen too).

Spreadsheets might actually look and work well in that ratio. I know the medical clinic's I manage, got a call last night about getting in 2 27's for CT,Xray, Ultrasound work... Looks like it hit home with a lot of people.

The blu-ray issue... Not sure why we didn't see that... It can't be licensing because Final Cut supports it, The OS itself supports it (FreeBSD shows support for BR Burning and reading). I think the Codec's for playback may be the issue still or cost/ability to produce enough slot loads. I've got an external coming in, once I know I'll post about it.

That MacMini bump... That was a smooth move though. The top-end Mini is now more than worth the price IMO. And the low end is a bargain. It's a very efficient system that produces desktop performance. A Mini MacPro would be sweet. I'd go for something at $999 with the High End Mini specs, ATI 46xx graphics and Desktop RAM and HD.

I realy wanted a new iMac but instead I'm seriously now thinking of a Mini hooked up to my 32 screened LCD HD. Save $1,000.
post #23 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Did they ever stop and think that the reliance on all in ones and small form factor machines might be a major reason desktop sales are sagging. The general users are moving to laptops and desktop users just aren't interested in.



So that settles it, we'll also get rid of the Macbook Pros with discrete graphics and the Macbook Air and the xserve and just have one or two models for very ordinary users. Get off the kool aid and use your head a little bit. Where does Apple play that isn't a niche?

Desktop sales are sagging, BECUASE DESKTOP SALES ARE SAGGING IN THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY.

And your other paragraph is easily negated by the fact that notebooks and portables are surging, hence all the available variety. And it'll stay that way.
post #24 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Look at the clock, pal. 10 days left til November. The timing IS perfect. Think you're scoring points for these silly negative posts?

November has 30 days the last time I checked, "pal". Only an idiot would buy something anyway that hasn't been tested and /or reviewed in the first place.
post #25 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

The blu-ray issue... Not sure why we didn't see that... It can't be licensing because Final Cut supports it, The OS itself supports it (FreeBSD shows support for BR Burning and reading). I think the Codec's for playback may be the issue still or cost/ability to produce enough slot loads. I've got an external coming in, once I know I'll post about it.

Which external BR drive did you order? I was looking at the OWC Mercury Pro 12x BR burner for $350. Supposedly, they use the newest Pioneer drive and I figured I could remove it from the external enclosure and install it in a Mac Pro when I eventually get one but use it with my iMac for now.
post #26 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

November is 30 days last time I checked, "pal". Only an idiot would buy something anyway that hasn't been tested and /or reviewed in the first place.

It's not like they're gonna start shipping the minute the clock strikes 12:00 on Nov. 1st.
post #27 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple isn't going to spend time developing a hole into which they can throw money.

No- but they can develop a hole like the AppleTV and expect you to keep throwing your own money in the iTunes store.
post #28 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

It's not like they're gonna start shipping the minute the clock strikes 12:00 on Nov. 1st.

You know what I'm saying? Do people actually think before they post stuff like that?
post #29 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Did they ever stop and think that the reliance on all in ones and small form factor machines might be a major reason desktop sales are sagging. The general users are moving to laptops and desktop users just aren't interested in.



So that settles it, we'll also get rid of the Macbook Pros with discrete graphics and the Macbook Air and the xserve and just have one or two models for very ordinary users. Get off the kool aid and use your head a little bit. Where does Apple play that isn't a niche?

I'm with you on this one
- although I think the new iMacs are attractive, I'd still prefer a Mini Mac Pro, with a room for a decent graphics card
- ok, the graphics in the new iMacs are good
- but they are already 'previous generation' cards
- lacking DX11 support (is there an OpenGL equivalent yet)
- so, it's a premium product, that offers a sub-premium graphics card

- which may ok (ish) now, but if you buy a 27" iMac, you're going to want it to last 3+ years
- also, soon (maybe) we'll have Fermi as well, which will offer interesting opertunities with OpenCL & CUDA
- but anyone interested in that would need to go for a full MacPro, which is probably uneconomic.

Having said that, I guess it could be argued that the iMac range does cover 90+% of the likely customers.....
post #30 of 152
nevermind.
post #31 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You know what I'm saying? Do people actually think before they post stuff like that?

In my experience, when a manufacturer gave an estimate of a certain month, it almost always meant the end of that month. That's not to say that Apple might not ship the top-end iMac the 1st week, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #32 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

In my experience, when a manufacturer gave an estimate of a certain month, it almost always meant the end of that month. That's not to say that Apple might not ship the top-end iMac the 1st week, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quadra 610- are you reading this in between sips of your morning Koolatra brew?
post #33 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Quadra 610- are you reading this in between sips of your morning Koolatra brew?

Starbucks vanilla latte. Whipped cream and all.
post #34 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

While not taking anything away from the new iMacs, they are really great. However, many still crave a mid sized, well priced desk top (as in a tower) so they can 'tinker' with cards yet don't need the high end Mac Pro. I am lucky enough to own a Mac Pro but I often wonder if I didn't need one for work if I'd go for an iMac after always being able to change cards. I also suspect many PC Geeks may prefer this approach too and be more likely to switch if they can mess with the insides at a price they can afford.

Many crave a midsize tower configuration on these pages and other geek(y) forums, but even in the PC world by far most people do not tinker with their computers other than perhaps adding RAM. Apple does not cater for niche markets and I can't see that changing. Because PC boxes are so basic - design wise - they have always lent themselves to tinkering. Mac's did that too for a little while (remember the 4400?) but realistically the only people that tinker are serious gamers (PC) and high end users (MacPro). Geeks are niche and I doubt Apple will ever change its ways to serve the geek.
post #35 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

nevermind.

You actualy pulled your post? Don't worry I have it stored in my Time Machine for future reference.
post #36 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

While not taking anything away from the new iMacs, they are really great. However, many still crave a mid sized, well priced desk top (as in a tower) so they can 'tinker' with cards yet don't need the high end Mac Pro. I am lucky enough to own a Mac Pro but I often wonder if I didn't need one for work if I'd go for an iMac after always being able to change cards. I also suspect many PC Geeks may prefer this approach too and be more likely to switch if they can mess with the insides at a price they can afford.

exactly what cards do you swap out ??

peace
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #37 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's timing with these updates was perfect.

I think Apple is in for another record quarter, thanks to the hardware refresh + Christmas.



yes sir
 is firing on all cylinders right now


bp
9
peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #38 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You actualy pulled your post? Don't worry I have it stored in my Time Machine for future reference.

Sometimes it just isn't worth it.
post #39 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sometimes it just isn't worth it.

You're right!
post #40 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

W
I will tell you what would have been nice and made me make a purchase. A quad core in a 13" MBP.

i don't understand why you want QUAD CORE ??
there is no real-estate left to cool down such an over heated chip . the mbp's are very hot right now


Quote:
Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Hahah the new iMac is the best ever, im not surprised

my wife would shoot me >>>>>
but i also hunger also for a family style mac for me and the kids to use 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And who exactly was clamoring for a 16:9 display?? Scientists? Financial analysts? And to offer it without Blu-ray? RIDICULOUS.

blur ay os dead
also it is so expensive
And it competes against apple better formated HD DL movies .. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not available until November for the only one worth buying and that's "perfect"? Keep smoking.

stop it dude or I will switch your matte screen iphone with a glossy one 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

They did go 16:9 but they did it right, you have to give them credit. A 1920x1080 is a high resolution even though it's 16:9. Could be worse, look at all the PC's in the $1100-$1500 range, they are using the 1680x960 res which (and I'm using one) is a little off. HP's are 1920x1080 but they start a lot higher (touchscreen too).

Spreadsheets might actually look and work well in that ratio. I know the medical clinic's I manage, got a call last night about getting in 2 27's for CT,Xray, Ultrasound work... Looks like it hit home with a lot of people.

The blu-ray issue... Not sure why we didn't see that... It can't be licensing because Final Cut supports it, The OS itself supports it (FreeBSD shows support for BR Burning and reading). I think the Codec's for playback may be the issue still or cost/ability to produce enough slot loads. I've got an external coming in, once I know I'll post about it.

That MacMini bump... That was a smooth move though. The top-end Mini is now more than worth the price IMO. And the low end is a bargain. It's a very efficient system that produces desktop performance. A Mini MacPro would be sweet. I'd go for something at $999 with the High End Mini specs, ATI 46xx graphics and Desktop RAM and HD.

great read
thanks for the timely info


Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Yeah, they should have "huge" growth. They may get clear up to 10% market share I shouldn't wonder.

I think it interesting that Windows has just experienced it's biggest mis-step in its entire existance with Vista, and Apple gained a whopping 2.5% market share. BTW, that growth has primarily been driven by their gadget market share.

But then, apple would not be able to continue to be apple in the PC world if they gain a significant market share.

in the market where apple competes they OWN A %91 MARKET SHARE
NPD add's in all the shit in the world to get its numbers


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I realy wanted a new iMac but instead I'm seriously now thinking of a Mini hooked up to my 32 screened LCD HD. Save $1,000.

dude for what most people need or use there machines for the white mac book is more than enough

so the mini should be fine for grandads like you who want to surf the net like you .
for me the mbp  15 3.02 ghz is ten x more power than i will ever need
my ego demand this over the top power
i guess
peace my friend
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales