or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales

Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales - Page 4

post #121 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No worries- Casablance is already available on Blu-ray. I have seen it and it is amazing.'i'm hoping Citiizen Kane gets there soon.

Good! How is the quality? Does it retain the original aspect ratio, or has it been reengineered?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #122 of 152
Quote:
Who is "many"?

Me and him for starters. That's more than the niche market for the Macbook Air.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #123 of 152
Quote:
No worries- Casablance is already available on Blu-ray. I have seen it and it is amazing.'i'm hoping Citiizen Kane gets there soon.

Two of my favourite movies. Hmm...

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #124 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Good! How is the quality? Does it retain the original aspect ratio, or has it been reengineered?

No- no totally 4:3. Amazing quality . Here is the link. And it's now available without the big box extras.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35634...lanca/?___rd=1
post #125 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Does anyone really care about that thing anymore? Did Apple mention anything about AppleTV with their latest financial results? Did anyone ask about AppleTV in the conference call afterwards?

I have one and it just sits there keeping things warm.

I didn't say anything about the current incarnation of AppleTV either. Products can and do get better, and Apple is focusing on video now. AppleTV will be a core part of their strategy.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #126 of 152
Everything was not shot in cinemascope. Even from the past, most movies were not shot with large frames and wide vistas.

Quote:

Only if you talking about current movies released today. You're still not mentioning a vast library of film that has yet and will sell enormously when it gets released. North by NorthWest gets released next month and it should do very well. Even something recent like the 10 year old Nightmare before Christmas sold incredibly last year and the upcoming Mosters Inc will look amazing. There is a huge market for older tittles. And you're still missing PBS, HBO, Discovery, Opera, etc, etc.
post #127 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I have two additional issues with the new models:

(1) the Core i5 model costs way too much compared with the Core 2 Duo model. The actual Core i5 chip costs only half as much as the 3.06GHz mobile Core 2 and the difference in the graphics chips doesn't even make up the difference. The Core i5 model should cost LESS, not $300 more.

(2) Apple still doesn't think the GPU is important despite touting OpenCL as a significant part of Snow Leopard. The 4670 was a low end chip back in June 2008 when it came out and equipping any GPU with only 256MB of VRAM is a joke. The 4850 is an upgrade, but not a $150 one.

Of course serious GPUs draw lots of power and generate lots of heat, two things Apple tries to avoid, and large amounts of VRAM are mostly useful for gaming and 3D work. Apple knows they can't attract gamers with an all-in-one and really doesn't want pros buying iMacs instead of Mac Pros.

There seems to be a real interest here in something between the Mini & the Mac Pro
- the iMac - a great consumer machine, but not that great for more demanding tasks
- the Mac Pro - too expensive for all but the most affluent graphics designer
- the Mini - just not powerful enough for anything other than emails & watching dvds (ok, and doing some light server tasks)

- hmmm, what could the answer be?
post #128 of 152
They could take uncompressed SD, stretch it out to 16x9 and you would never know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I prefer everything in HD. TV sitcoms in HD is great. If it is not in HD, why bother?
post #129 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad
I have two additional issues with the new models:

(1) the Core i5 model costs way too much compared with the Core 2 Duo model. The actual Core i5 chip costs only half as much as the 3.06GHz mobile Core 2 and the difference in the graphics chips doesn't even make up the difference. The Core i5 model should cost LESS, not $300 more.

(2) Apple still doesn't think the GPU is important despite touting OpenCL as a significant part of Snow Leopard. The 4670 was a low end chip back in June 2008 when it came out and equipping any GPU with only 256MB of VRAM is a joke. The 4850 is an upgrade, but not a $150 one.

Of course serious GPUs draw lots of power and generate lots of heat, two things Apple tries to avoid, and large amounts of VRAM are mostly useful for gaming and 3D work. Apple knows they can't attract gamers with an all-in-one and really doesn't want pros buying iMacs instead of Mac Pros.
There seems to be a real interest here in something between the Mini & the Mac Pro
- the iMac - a great consumer machine, but not that great for more demanding tasks
- the Mini - just not powerful enough for anything other than emails & watching dvds (ok, and doing some light server tasks)

Yes. I wonder what that could be...

Lemon Bon Bon.

Ps. You're right about the GPU in the iMac. The 4850 should be in the entry level models. You can get a £1000 PC with something far more effective than that awful Nvidia 9400 thing. And in the upper models...we should have something at least mainstream and with a gig of Vram. Yeesh.

post #130 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

what? My 13" mbp runs fairly cool. If you want to see a laptop that ran hot look at the late 2006 macbook with a 2ghz processor. The fan always ran at 6k rpm if i did anything that required a little power.

my 15 in 3.02 ghz burns hot in call of duty mode
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #131 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Blu-ray is far from dead.
Players are cheap (unless you're looking to buy a BR player at Shop-rite for $29.99) and movie prices are starting to come down. Not accounting for taste, the latest Transformers movie is $19.99 on BR at Amazon.
Better formatted HD download movies?!? What are you smoking? Where can you download 20-35Mbps average bit-rate 1080/24p movies with lossless audio? Give me a break.

I AM SOrRY
yOUR RIGHT its not dead bluray
i can just see the writing on the wall
and discs themselves will be replaced by little movie flash drives
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #132 of 152
Quote:

Not so bruce- Any movie relased since 1955 in widescreen 70millimeter benefits enormously. All the widescreen classics that haven't yet been touched to Blu. Even the old 4:3 classics look amazing. not to mention HBO prgramming and the new 16:9 PBS /Discovery titles- absolutely breathtaking. Even Woodstock and now Monterey Pop.

i don't understand what your saying TS
all these old titles have been converted to blu ray ??

where does hbo fit in ??
answer careful because you may talk me into buying a blu ray player for car chase scene in BULLIT or FRENCH CONNECTION
OR I GUESS THE GOD FATHWR WOULD LOOK GOOD TOO

GOOD night you all

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #133 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i don't understand what your saying TS
all these old titles have been converted to blu ray ??

where does hbo fit in ??
answer careful because you may talk me into buying a blu ray player for car chase scene in BULLIT or FRENCH CONNECTION
OR I GUESS THE GOD FATHWR WOULD LOOK GOOD TOO

GOOD night you all

peace 9

No, no- I'm saying most have not and Blu-ray discs haven't barely entered into the old classics catalogue.
BTW- I have Bullit and it looks amazing.

HBO has been filming in HD for about 3 years now with the exception of Larry David. HBO has their own HD channel However HD channels again do not compare to a Blu-Ray where you see the full 1080P HD.
post #134 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Everything was not shot in cinemascope. Even from the past, most movies were not shot with large frames and wide vistas.

Correct- but they were shot with 35millimeter which is HD also. Casablanca, Wizard of Oz , etc all appear with levels of detail as if we've never seen them before.
post #135 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Two of my favourite movies. Hmm...

Lemon Bon Bon.

Coming from one of my favorite posters,
Lemon Bon Bon.
post #136 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

My kids broke my 24" iMac last week, they snagged the power cord and it went flying off of my desk and smashed the screen. My insurance company picked up the iMac this week with the view to repair or replace it. Kinda hoping they replace it with the 27" one now, seeing as it is cheaper too.

Also, beware, Apple didn't use safety glass so. If your iMac glass screen breaks it shatters and is razor sharp.

I never thought about getting my kids to break the computer one week or so before the new ones are introduced. I shall try your technique next round
dreamery
dreamery
post #137 of 152
Quote:

No, no- I'm saying most have not and Blu-ray discs haven't barely entered into the old classics catalogue.
BTW- I have Bullit and it looks amazing.

HBO has been filming in HD for about 3 years now with the exception of Larry David. HBO has their own HD channel However HD channels again do not compare to a Blu-Ray where you see the full 1080P HD.

I suspect the next refresh of the Mac Pros will see Bluray intro and matte displays (hope I am right about this one). If you are going to introduce 'a bag of hurt', why not place them in the professional line ups. I find the bag of hurt lies more in the glossy glass displays. I, for one, am skipping this round of announcement (yet again) and wait for gloss to hit matte. I am sure the Apple Tablet will be gloss.

I am not really into Bluray. The disc cost $150 each in my part of the world. Seriously, how many times over am I going to watch a movie for that amount of money. Enuf said. Wait for 2010.
dreamery
dreamery
post #138 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Checked with the local service centres here. iMacs and MacBooks are the most problematic Apple machines. I have owned a mirrored door G4 for over 5 years. It's never seen a doctor. Same goes with my Cinema Display... [touch wood] ... Machines were designed to last ... in those days.
dreamery
dreamery
post #139 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who is "many"? Many on Apple fansites? Which means a minority of a minority of Apple's market.

If there was actually enough demand for it, we might have seen one already. Desktop sales are horrible in the entire industry. Apple isn't going to spend time developing a hole into which they can throw money.

Except back a few years ago when they designed those P.O.S. "Pizza Box" Quadra models...

Worst desktops, EVER!
post #140 of 152
Didn't even bother with that exhaustive article. The headline says it all.

New iMacs. Better than last gen. Mac sales are currently 3/4 laptops. Want to even that out, if possible.

Next...(seriously, why overstate the obvious AI????)
post #141 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamery View Post

I suspect the next refresh of the Mac Pros will see Bluray intro and matte displays (hope I am right about this one). If you are going to introduce 'a bag of hurt', why not place them in the professional line ups. I find the bag of hurt lies more in the glossy glass displays. I, for one, am skipping this round of announcement (yet again) and wait for gloss to hit matte. I am sure the Apple Tablet will be gloss.

I am not really into Bluray. The disc cost $150 each in my part of the world. Seriously, how many times over am I going to watch a movie for that amount of money. Enuf said. Wait for 2010.

Blu Ray is a bag of hurt for more than just licensing reasons. Apple has absolutely no desire to give their customers a NEW reason to go out and plunk down $50 US on one movie, when that same customer knows that $50 can go a lot further in the iTunes store. Including High Definition content that you can watch on your Mac.

There really is no reason for a Mac user to need Blu Ray, and there never will be.
post #142 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Blu Ray is a bag of hurt for more than just licensing reasons. Apple has absolutely no desire to give their customers a NEW reason to go out and plunk down $50 US on one movie, when that same customer knows that $50 can go a lot further in the iTunes store. Including High Definition content that you can watch on your Mac.

There really is no reason for a Mac user to need Blu Ray, and there never will be.

$50? Maybe you should try Amazon.com? Looking at their bestsellers, many are under $10. That makes Blu-ray cheaper than iTunes and I don't have to pay additional for the disk space, and it is better picture quality.
post #143 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

1. Blu-ray movies don't cost $50
2. The iTunes store has nothing comparable (yet)
3. Apple is a member of the Blu-ray Disk Association, included notes about Blu-ray in some iTunes documentation, allows BD burning with compressor, and some fairly reliable rumors indicated that Apple had plans to release Blu-ray equipped iMacs but nixed them just before production.

Apple obviously has an interest in providing its customers with Blu-ray and there are many reasons why a Mac owner would want it. Basically everything you said was false. My prediction is that Macs will get Blu-ray when the iTunes store transitions to 1080p. Apple will use Blu-ray to draw customers in and then present the iTunes Store as an alternative that provides greater value.
post #144 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamery View Post

Checked with the local service centres here. iMacs and MacBooks are the most problematic Apple machines. I have owned a mirrored door G4 for over 5 years. It's never seen a doctor. Same goes with my Cinema Display... [touch wood] ... Machines were designed to last ... in those days.

AppleCare is essential for notebooks and iMacs.

I've owned desktop Macs since 1992 and other than losing a couple of back up hard drives, had no significant hardware failure until the power supply on my G5 tower blew a bunch of capacitors this summer. I have a G4 from 2001, G3 from 1999, 8600 from 1997, Umax clone from 1997 and even a Macintosh SE from 1987 that all still run fine.

My only Apple notebook purchase, a first generation 500MHz white iBook, suffered a logic board failure at the age of two.

That unit taught me a couple of valuable lessons: never buy a notebook without AppleCare and never buy a notebook at all because it only ever got used on my desk at home and my desk at work. I'd have gotten just as much value out of a portable external hard drive.
post #145 of 152
For that "desktop" experience, it would be very easy to connect a laptop to an external keyboard and a 22 inch or larger LCD. NO clunky desktop is needed.

I thought everyone was buying cheap netbooks that use "cloud computing?"

Netbooks and portable devices are the future - not clunky desktops.
post #146 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgoises Pig View Post

For that "desktop" experience, it would be very easy to connect a laptop to an external keyboard and a 22 inch or larger LCD. NO clunky desktop is needed.

I thought everyone was buying cheap netbooks that use "cloud computing?"

Netbooks and portable devices are the future - not clunky desktops.

According to a survey released today most people don't trust the cloud to store any of their personal data.

I have a MacBook Pro courtesy of my employer. It sits on a desk at work (with an external KB/mouse/display) or sits on a desk at home. For business use it's nice to have the same environment at home, but that could be achieved by booting off an external HD. There's no need for me to have an expensive portable computer.

For personal use any laptop would be a waste of my money because there's a desktop version of every style, including netbooks, that offer more of everything for the same price. Why settle for 15" when a superior 27" display is available at the same price with a faster processor and greater storage?

Sometimes I wish I could get information while I'm out at the store or running an errand. You know what? I can do that with an iPhone way better than with a netbook or laptop.

The perfect solution for me is a desktop and a handheld. Obviously you'd rather spend your money differently and you're free to do so.
post #147 of 152
Quote:

His point is that there is little need to watch the latest Kate Hudson - Matthew McConaughey romantic romp in Blu ray. There are a relatively small number of movies that benefit from a large visual scope.

thank you
i will wait 5 yrs and buy bluray action flicks on the cheap
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #148 of 152
Quote:

That's only important if you require live broadcast television. Which actually has a shrinking audience. People are too busy to follow a broadcast schedule.

Virtually all scripted television is available on demand in one form or another. Before long all television content will be available on demand online. MSNBC, FOX, CNN will broadcast their news shows live online.

my cable service now mimics all the hulu features like whole seasons of past primetime tv shows on demand for free
i mean like I watch ed all the <fastforward> episoders at one sitting . and then i thought i have nothing to do
and then i got up and played some COD 2 offensive front

the digital content war is now WORLDwide thing
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #149 of 152
Quote:

Hey - lay off Kate Hudson- she's helping get the Yankees to the World Series.

she steamed up the car windows on the titanic
and then she sank the boat
the NYY could do without her
we need the dark angel chick
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #150 of 152
Quote:

Only if you talking about current movies released today. You're still not mentioning a vast library of film that has yet and will sell enormously when it gets released. North by NorthWest gets released next month and it should do very well. Even something recent like the 10 year old Nightmare before Christmas sold incredibly last year and the upcoming Mosters Inc will look amazing. There is a huge market for older tittles. And you're still missing PBS, HBO, Discovery, Opera, etc, etc.

how many did night mare sell ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #151 of 152
Quote:

No- no totally 4:3. Amazing quality . Here is the link. And it's now available without the big box extras.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35634...lanca/?___rd=1

if ya gonna spend money on past titles in blur-ray why not wait one yr after release and buy the foreign version cheap ??
sci fi box sets is one great site
the movies arrive stripped of all fancy packaging
and you just hit english button on the menu bar
i bought all 9 seasons of the x files for 175 dollars
http://www.scifiboxsets.com/catalog/...products_id=31

you have to search a bit
or even call the guy
hes a cool dude

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #152 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Obviously to tell to tell everyone who doesn't fall into one of the two extremes that they're hopelessly misguided and don't belong on the the Mac anyway.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's new iMacs viewed as boon for sagging desktop sales