or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Latest Apple tablet speculation covers digital comic books
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Latest Apple tablet speculation covers digital comic books

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
In yet another sign that print content will play an important role in Apple's long-rumored tablet device, a new report suggests that a digital comic book distributor could be in on the action.

In his latest column for the Chicago Sun-Times, Andy Ihnatko profiled a startup company called LongBox which plans to offer an iTunes or Amazon Kindle style store for purchasing and viewing the latest editions of comics on the go. The product is unique because current digital comic options often do not offer the latest issues, but instead provide access to older content.

The new product is set to debut in November, but beyond that, at least one secret, key partnership has reportedly been inked. Ihnatko said he has reason to believe it centers around Apple's tablet.

"There are signs that (Apple) is getting into the digital comic book market," he said. "Which is tantamount to saying 'Apple is helping to create a digital comic book market.'"

Ihnatko's speculation is based on the fact that the LongBox CEO told him that the company's unannounced partnership is with a manufacturer who has received high-profile coverage of upcoming hardware on a number of technology Web sites. Rantz Hoseley said that the company in question is the only one that would give LonBox "a multinational launch with literally millions of installed users," which Inhatko assumed will be the iTunes Store.



If true, it's yet another sign that Apple's forthcoming tablet device, expected in the first quarter of 2010, will serve as an e-reader. In September, rumors swirled that Apple was reaching out to print publications about putting their products for sale on iTunes, for use in a new piece of hardware. People familiar with The New York Times, publishers McGraw Hill and Oberlin Press, and a consortium of magazine executives were all said to have been involved.

Some publishers are already publicly planning for Apple's yet-unannounced tablet. A group led by Time Inc. intends to create a digital store for magazines and other publications to sell their content. Among the formats the publishers hope to make their content compatible with is Apple's long-rumored, 10-inch touchscreen device. In their talks, the publishers and the Cupertino, Calif., company have reportedly had disagreements over the business model to adopt.

Apple's new iTunes LP format has already been used to distribute one digital comic: "Tyrese Gibson's Mayhem." The $1.99 album features three comics, an exclusive song, a 45-minute "making of" video, storyboards, alternate covers, concept art, desktop wallpapers and more.
post #2 of 74
Makes sense, with Marvel's push into digital comics/motion comics, and their pending addition to the Apple/Disney family. As much as I love the ease of digital, and the voice acting in the recent Spider-woman: Agent of SWORD motion comic, there's still something wonderful about touching the printed page.


But, I freely admit, I'm a strange old skool fangirl.
post #3 of 74
Whoo beano on iTablet lol
post #4 of 74
Seems like it would be hard to collect these.

The profit margin on a comic book is pretty small, I think it would make better business sense to distribute Pornography. Much better profit margin, and the ability to replicate the quick flipping booth experience would seem to be a draw to those who indulge.

But to see the last bastion of tomorrows culture fail, that will be a sad thing. I'm oldschool too, I guess.
post #5 of 74
Comics are a dying art form. Very few kids are interested anymore, no thanks to the high cover prices and the focus on "mature" audiences. Maybe if they priced the digital copies at 50 cents or something, but $2 or more with virtually no distribution costs is ridiculous.
post #6 of 74
You guys might want to mention that Disney purchased Marvel and Steve Jobs is close to them.
post #7 of 74
The writer seems way off base.

What kind of partnership would Apple make with Longbox that WOULDN'T involve buying them out? Does Apple have any similar partnerships with other media companies that would rival the iTunes Store? No.

It seems more like an Amazon or Barnes & Noble deal.

The writer also fails to mention that there are already several digital comic apps already in the App Store, like iVerse and ComiXology. And if Apple is making their own iTunesbook Store, why would they partner with a company whose product is at this point vaporware?
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Comics are a dying art form. Very few kids are interested anymore, no thanks to the high cover prices and the focus on "mature" audiences. Maybe if they priced the digital copies at 50 cents or something, but $2 or more with virtually no distribution costs is ridiculous.

I wouldnt use the word dying, but its certainly becoming more niche, like vinyl albums have become.

I think this could be profitable to these companies as the distribution is cheap and you wont be able to transfer the items as easily as with printed material.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Comics are a dying art form. Very few kids are interested anymore, no thanks to the high cover prices and the focus on "mature" audiences. Maybe if they priced the digital copies at 50 cents or something, but $2 or more with virtually no distribution costs is ridiculous.

Really? I wouldn't go that far. With recent events like Blackest Night, Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin, Captain America Reborn, Utopia X, Dark Reign, sales are generally up 100 - 300%

Even books like Archie titles are up 1700% (yes, seventeen HUNDRED percent) over 5 years ago.

Marvel's Ultimates line (and unfortunately including the horrid Ultimatum) is a big seller still.

Sure, the numbers aren't as good as they were when the speculators flooded the market in the 90's hoping to find the next Amazing Fantasy 15, but those were artificially bloated.
post #10 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldnt use the word dying, but its certainly becoming more niche, like vinyl albums have become.

I think this could be profitable to these companies as the distribution is cheap and you wont be able to transfer the items as easily as with printed material.

What is this "vinyl" of which you speak?
post #11 of 74
Unlike a E book reader, the kind of tablet that I envision would be capable of sound, video, links etc.. which would be a whole new kind of comic book. It could even be kind of Myst - ish. I've read in the past where comics are really big in Asia, especially Japan.
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

I've read in the past where comics are really big in Asia, especially Japan.

Except in Japan manga is usually pocket-book sized. They are sized so you can read them on the train. Kind of hard to hold up a 10" ebook reader and hold onto the strap at the same time for an hour.
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

Unlike a E book reader, the kind of tablet that I envision would be capable of sound, video, links etc...

You forgot holograms.
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Comics are a dying art form. Very few kids are interested anymore, no thanks to the high cover prices and the focus on "mature" audiences. Maybe if they priced the digital copies at 50 cents or something, but $2 or more with virtually no distribution costs is ridiculous.

Oh boy!

Are you ever wrong!

Just go to any Barnes and Nobel. What's the fastest growing segment?

MANGA!!!

What is Manga? Japanese, or Japanese inspired comic books, graphic "novels", magazines, movies, video games and the like.

Over the past five years, I've made many props like swords, broaches, armbands, shields, breastplates, helmets, and other props for my daughter and her friends, as they've first gone to the various manga and comic conventions here in NYC, and then, as they got older, around the East coast.

I've also spend more than a few nights, until the next days' dawn, sewing costumes. We've had our entire first floor of the house covered with cloth, and our dining room table used as a sweatshop with as many as three sewing machines, as we've made costumes. Nothing like having a half dozen girls (and a couple boys) over for two days straight doing this.

Believe me, if the tablet is going to get teenagers reading from it, comic books are the place to be.
post #15 of 74
While I don't think comics are a big deal these days, I think it's the distribution format rather than the content that's dying. As mentioned in one of Apple's keynotes - people just don't use books that much any more. They waste so much space in our modern minimalist homes and trading them is almost impossible so it's not environmentally nor wallet friendly.

Newspapers, comics, magazines, educational texts, fictional novels - they all need two things: a profitable distribution method and a client device.

Stores + physical format don't work because foot traffic in dedicated book stores and even libraries is so low. Check your local ones and see how empty they are. People don't have time to waste referencing text in books without search or finding well-reviewed novels.

Amazon + Kindle doesn't work that well because although they are a high profile distributor, the client device is poor (dedicated is not enough) and so expensive for what you get.

Apple + tablet does work because they have 50 million+ people at least in this eco-system buying games, movies, apps etc. I read comics on the iphone - daily web comics - and I love it. Same with a few books. However, a tablet works better for sitting down for hours and engaging with this type of content. I have read a few books on the iphone and while I don't mind it, having to scroll pretty much constantly isn't ideal.

Even better is the idea of interactive comics - if you've seen a motion comic e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ipt9hJud8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_wuEMwBUo

then you can see the possibilities. It brings comics to life for kids whose imaginations have been rotted away by endless hours of watered-down Disney slapstick entertainment and engages them in some thought-provoking narrative. But the key point is that it's not limited to this function. If you want to do something else you can and this is where so many devices fail.

It doesn't matter if comics would be enough to sell a tablet or if the tablet is enough to sell comics, they would give a significant boost to each other and you may for example buy the static comic and find out you want the motion comic/the movie or check out the website and buy products or review it online. It can all be done on the tablet.

I think Bill Gates is correct that it will be the most popular form factor sold eventually - he was a little off with the timing and that it would be a PC.
post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Except in Japan manga is usually pocket-book sized. They are sized so you can read them on the train. Kind of hard to hold up a 10" ebook reader and hold onto the strap at the same time for an hour.

Standing, of course. Sitting is not an issue unless you have trouble with books and magazines, too. But is most common for people to stand on trains in the US and Europe, Apples largest markets? Would this be the most common place it would be used. I see your point, and this may make Japanese trains a poor place for this device, but overall I dont think its a problem.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 74
If the relationship isn't right, the speculation is spot on.

Storytelling is at our core - whether we are the ones telling the story, or just a member of the audience. Every aspect of storytelling has branched toward the ease of digital access (production and distribution). The traditional avenues of film, radio and television have all mutated to become accessible from the comfort of our home or where we can watch alone or share the experience with a group. Let's not forget the ease of portability, too, where our content sits waiting in our pocket wherever we may roam.

The comic book, or in the broader sense an illustrated story, has been around longer than all of those above and although it evolved over time to become a niche genre, those in tune are as great a fans of a well constructed comic or graphic novel as the music lovers who praised Jobs after purchasing their first ipod.

A device of which the caliber of Apple can deliver can and WILL revive the comic & graphic novel industry in part due to the quality of the experience, but also greatly due to the ease as to which people would be able to get their content. No more weekly trips to the comic store (a point many may choose not to miss for the camaraderie) - but there will be many comic fans who will prefer this new storytelling experience and perhaps more importantly, many NEW people will be brought into that fold.

I want to reiterate that I am specifically referring to the enjoyment and appreciation of the storytelling experience. The writing, the artwork, the pace and excitement of not only a visually compelling but well-crafted story is what drew my brother and I to become avid comic book collectors well into adulthood. Wanting to be part of that process, we made an attempt at being independent comic book publishers back in the mid-90's so I am coming from the perspective of a former collector and content producer.

This is an exciting time and I look forward to the next few months with great anticipation.
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldnt use the word dying, but its certainly becoming more niche, like vinyl albums have become.

Nope!
post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsmoke View Post

The writer seems way off base.

What kind of partnership would Apple make with Longbox that WOULDN'T involve buying them out? Does Apple have any similar partnerships with other media companies that would rival the iTunes Store? No.

It seems more like an Amazon or Barnes & Noble deal.

The writer also fails to mention that there are already several digital comic apps already in the App Store, like iVerse and ComiXology. And if Apple is making their own iTunesbook Store, why would they partner with a company whose product is at this point vaporware?

Which writer are you referring to; Neil Hughes or Andy Ihnatko?
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

Unlike a E book reader, the kind of tablet that I envision would be capable of sound, video, links etc.. which would be a whole new kind of comic book. It could even be kind of Myst - ish. I've read in the past where comics are really big in Asia, especially Japan.

That's what has been talked about. It's expected that it will do this.
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

While I don't think comics are a big deal these days, I think it's the distribution format rather than the content that's dying. As mentioned in one of Apple's keynotes - people just don't use books that much any more. They waste so much space in our modern minimalist homes and trading them is almost impossible so it's not environmentally nor wallet friendly.

Newspapers, comics, magazines, educational texts, fictional novels - they all need two things: a profitable distribution method and a client device.

Stores + physical format don't work because foot traffic in dedicated book stores and even libraries is so low. Check your local ones and see how empty they are. People don't have time to waste referencing text in books without search or finding well-reviewed novels.

Amazon + Kindle doesn't work that well because although they are a high profile distributor, the client device is poor (dedicated is not enough) and so expensive for what you get.

Apple + tablet does work because they have 50 million+ people at least in this eco-system buying games, movies, apps etc. I read comics on the iphone - daily web comics - and I love it. Same with a few books. However, a tablet works better for sitting down for hours and engaging with this type of content. I have read a few books on the iphone and while I don't mind it, having to scroll pretty much constantly isn't ideal.

Even better is the idea of interactive comics - if you've seen a motion comic e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ipt9hJud8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_wuEMwBUo

then you can see the possibilities. It brings comics to life for kids whose imaginations have been rotted away by endless hours of watered-down Disney slapstick entertainment and engages them in some thought-provoking narrative. But the key point is that it's not limited to this function. If you want to do something else you can and this is where so many devices fail.

It doesn't matter if comics would be enough to sell a tablet or if the tablet is enough to sell comics, they would give a significant boost to each other and you may for example buy the static comic and find out you want the motion comic/the movie or check out the website and buy products or review it online. It can all be done on the tablet.

I think Bill Gates is correct that it will be the most popular form factor sold eventually - he was a little off with the timing and that it would be a PC.

I am amazed!

Don't you guys ever go into bookstores anymore?

Comics and Manga, in particular, are the biggest growing segment.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Which writer are you referring to; Neil Hughes or Andy Ihnatko?

Andy Ihnatko, I just don't see what kind of agreement Longbox could make w/ Apple that would allow them to continue developing their application. If I were the CEO of Longbox, though, I also would make it sound like it COULD be Apple that I've partnered with. Get some investors.
post #23 of 74
Well, Jobs is a major shareholder of Disney and on the board...

and Disney DID just buy Marvel Comics.


It makes sense... I have looked at a couple similar items on my iPhone and although the screen quality is great, it is too small.

Still can't understand why anyone would want a tablet over a laptop though - unless it will be a niche product.
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Well, Jobs is a major shareholder of Disney and on the board...

and Disney DID just buy Marvel Comics.


It makes sense... I have looked at a couple similar items on my iPhone and although the screen quality is great, it is too small.

Still can't understand why anyone would want a tablet over a laptop though - unless it will be a niche product.

I think the only way for the tablet to be successful, if and when it comes out, would be if they have in fact created an iTunes Book Store. I have an iPhone/touch and would have no use for a tablet.

IF they create an online book store WITH deals with Marvel, I would snatch it up instantly.

It has to be marketed as a Kindle/Nook competitor or it's going to be the next Apple TV.
post #25 of 74
I can agree that comics have a lot more competition for audience attention and needs to change with the times. But that can be said for every form of entertainment.

Superhero comics have always been considered as mature material. Back in the 60's super hero themes and their battles with right and wrong were considered too challenging for kids in developing moral values.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Comics are a dying art form. Very few kids are interested anymore, no thanks to the high cover prices and the focus on "mature" audiences. Maybe if they priced the digital copies at 50 cents or something, but $2 or more with virtually no distribution costs is ridiculous.
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

... The profit margin on a comic book is pretty small, I think it would make better business sense to distribute Pornography. ...

A lot of today's comics are pornography though in that the sales rely on mega-violence, nudity, and selling to distinct groups like the gay and psuedo-gay markets.

Also, I think when you say that the profit margins on comics are small, you are forgetting that a big part of that is printing and distribution. The eComic would not have that cost.

As a comic collector myself, I find it impossible to afford (or find) most of the older comics that I'd like to have now. Most of today's comic "collectors" just collect what's coming out now and ignore all the old comics. The idea that, like iTunes, I could possibly get digital versions of my favourite old comics is very appealing to me.

The thing I worry about here is the closed nature of the deal. The author of this article is actually wrong to state that there are no comic book readers that sell new comics and to imply that all the eReaders are for old (torrented) stuff. There is a comic book "reader" in the app store right now that does exactly this, but the downside is that you cannot use it to read the old content you have (torrented *or* purchased). It's a closed system wherein you have to buy comics through the app and they only work on that app.

What's really needed here if eBooks and eComics are to catch on is an open standard, just like any other technology. Let's hope these guys see that.
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Standing, of course. Sitting is not an issue unless you have trouble with books and magazines, too. But is most common for people to stand on trains in the US and Europe, Apples largest markets? Would this be the most common place it would be used. I see your point, and this may make Japanese trains a poor place for this device, but overall I dont think its a problem.

There's a lot of assumptions in this line of argument. We don't really know how big the tablet is going to be (although we can have a good guess at it). More importantly we don't know how thin or how light it may or may not be. At least I haven't heard anything like a scientific assessment of same.

Just for a data point, I sit in a chair for half the day at work so I make a point of always standing up on the train both to give my back a bit of a break, and also to let the seriously tired have a seat. I usually read, write, or watch podcasts on my iPhone and my hands never get tired or even notice the weight.

i think the tablet would have to be at least twice as heavy as the iPhone for this to be an issue for me.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsmoke View Post

I think the only way for the tablet to be successful, if and when it comes out, would be if they have in fact created an iTunes Book Store. I have an iPhone/touch and would have no use for a tablet.

IF they create an online book store WITH deals with Marvel, I would snatch it up instantly.

It has to be marketed as a Kindle/Nook competitor or it's going to be the next Apple TV.

Do you think that it wont have an online book store? I don't know why Apple would choose to avoid the textbook market, the comic book market, or any other printed market for that matter.

One big advantage of an Apple tablet would be the ability to bundle different media formats together as we've seen with iTunes LP and Extras. The tablet should be the ultimate convergence of these ideas. Buy a movie, have iTunes offer to bundle the book or manga with it. Have Genius start recommending similar books/manga/comics to you, and before you know it, you are hooked on comics. Or something like that. As someone else mentioned you could have more interactive comics too, although I would have to see one before I decide if that idea is more than a gimmick.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #29 of 74
SJobs owns Disney owns Marvel= Comic Books!
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Do you think that it wont have an online book store? I don't know why Apple would choose to avoid the textbook market, the comic book market, or any other printed market for that matter.

One big advantage of an Apple tablet would be the ability to bundle different media formats together as we've seen with iTunes LP and Extras. The tablet should be the ultimate convergence of these ideas. Buy a movie, have iTunes offer to bundle the book or manga with it. Have Genius start recommending similar books/manga/comics to you, and before you know it, you are hooked on comics. Or something like that. As someone else mentioned you could have more interactive comics too, although I would have to see one before I decide if that idea is more than a gimmick.

I think it totally will have a new Book section in iTunes, and digital comics will be a part of it. I just don't see where Longbox plays into that.

Marvels digital offering so far is complete trash. If Marvel somehow get's into iTunes though, it would cause a sh*t storm with the direct market. But I think it could only help that market in that most of the people buying comiXologys 'Comics 'app, are people that don't go into comic shops, or haven't done so in years.

Their "guided view" makes viewing on the iPhone totally worthwhile.
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Except in Japan manga is usually pocket-book sized. They are sized so you can read them on the train. Kind of hard to hold up a 10" ebook reader and hold onto the strap at the same time for an hour.

many people like the appeal of an ebook reader because it is smaller and easier to carry several titles in a smaller bag.

as for the strap issue. depending on the design of the reader it can be no more difficult than holding the strap and a book where you have to turn the page every few seconds.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 74
Yes the return of the Comic and even Classic Comics with in-depth writing [once popular in the 50s/60s] are returning.

Even the regional chain book stores I see like Hastings continues to make room for this growing area.

What ever it takes to stimulate people to read authors stories all the better.
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

SJobs owns Disney owns Marvel= Comic Books!

Steve does NOT 'own' Disney...

Well, not ALL of it anyway after all it is a public corporation but yes with the Pixar deal Steve now is the largest single owner of Disney stock in the world with 7%ish of all Disney stock. Prior to that the biggest single person stock owners were all at around 1%, Eisner and even Roy Disney never owner over 2%.

Pretty freakin amazing... the man who was shoved out the door at Apple those many years ago sure has come back into his own hasn't he?
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #34 of 74
The graphic novel and comic book are logical bullseyes when Apple comes out with the Tablet. As an analog, think about how the rise of desktop publishing software gave the Mac its initial game changing purpose, and now overlay that into the present.

Beyond the goodness of such a device for narrative/storytelling, think what you could do in the interactive learning realm (imagine a touch/tilt/combine virtual physics/chemistry lab), not to mention all sorts of information and reference guide concepts (think: Fodors on Steroids).

If interested, I have done some further analysis on what Book 2.0 looks like in a post called:

Rebooting the Book (One Apple iPad Tablet at a Time)
http://bit.ly/zOoEu

Check it out, if interested.

Mark
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Still can't understand why anyone would want a tablet over a laptop though - unless it will be a niche product.

Two words: Portrait Mode.

Also actually swiping to move the pages as well as pinch-zoom is so much more enjoyable than keyboard controls.
post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Still can't understand why anyone would want a tablet over a laptop though - unless it will be a niche product.

What do you consider a niche product to be? It could be a rather large niche. Besides you're thinking about it wrong. Apple wont market this as a laptop replacement, it will be designed to supplement whatever computer you have.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #37 of 74
Manga on a tablet? Sounds nice, since virtually any book store in my country is slow on stuff (The whole country is slow on a lot of stuff tbh =w=)
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...and the Cupertino, Calif., company have reportedly had disagreements over the business model to adopt.

Sorry to be so picky but that abbreviation of California was discontinued in the 1950's. One should either spell it out or use CA as an abbreviation. Of course, if neither of those suit your taste, you could always use "Cali" like everyone else who doesn't live here.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry to be so picky but that abbreviation of California was discontinued in the 1950's. One should either spell it out or use CA as an abbreviation. Of course, if neither of those suit your taste, you could always use "Cali" like everyone else who doesn't live here.

Who discontinued it? Since when can language can be discontinued? I understand that the post office wants two letter abbreviations for mail, but that has no baring on the rest of written language. In fact, from Wikipedia...

These postal abbreviations are distinguished from traditional abbreviations such as Calif., Fla., or Tex. The Associated Press Stylebook states that in contexts other than mailing addresses, the traditional state abbreviations should be used.

PS: The source on the Wikipage isnt working so take it with the usual grain of salt, but it is how i learned it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

many people like the appeal of an ebook reader because it is smaller and easier to carry several titles in a smaller bag.

as for the strap issue. depending on the design of the reader it can be no more difficult than holding the strap and a book where you have to turn the page every few seconds.

Agreed.

Except I stated a 10" ebook reader in my post, the reported size of Apple's pad, much bigger than a Kindle. I would be exhausted holding something bigger than a Kindle and there isn't the physical space to hold up something that large.

I just measured one of my kids' manga, it's 4.5" x 7".

I spent 7 years riding the Tokyo rails. Japan is 120 million people, relatively affluent, who for the most part, have a lot more technology in their daily lives than most Americans.It's not a market to be discounted.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Latest Apple tablet speculation covers digital comic books