or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Burger King sells Windows 7 Whoppers as Microsoft begins Guru training

Burger King sells Windows 7 Whoppers as Microsoft begins Guru training

post #1 of 73
In concert with Thursday's release of Windows 7, Burger King in Japan has begun selling a Whopper with seven patties of meat; and a Microsoft Store "Guru" has been spotted in person.

Windows 7 Whopper

In yet another bizarre bit of promotion, Burger King in Japan is selling a seven-pattied Whopper hamburger to commemorate the launch of Windows 7, Microsoft's new operating system. As first reported by Electronista, the new burger measures 5.1 inches tall and costs 777 yen, or $8.53 U.S.

Microsoft has embraced some alternative manners to promote the launch of Windows 7 operating system, including the widely ridiculed Tupperware-like house party. The launch party promotion included the distribution of party packs, and a video demonstration that showed participants how to host a successful get-together.

Microsoft has also paid for a Windows 7-centric special episode of the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy." Entitled "Family Guy Presents: Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show," it will air commercial-free on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 8:30 p.m. EST and PST.

Overseas, Microsoft has enacted a number of promotions related to the number seven, including a free giveaway of the operating system to residents of the Dutch village Zevenhuizen, which translates to "Seven Houses." Apple's rival to the north also reportedly decorated parts of the Spanish village Sietes, which translates to "Sevens."

Thursday's launch of Windows 7 also marked the opening of the first Microsoft retail store in Scottsdale, Ariz. Microsoft plans to open a number of retail locations to compete with Apple. The brick-and-mortar stores will sell Microsoft software and first-party hardware, such as Zunes and Xbox 360 consoles.

Microsoft also intends to mimic Apple's Genius Bars with its own Guru Bars. At a recent Windows 7 training seminar, one AppleInsider reader spotted a Windows Guru in his outfit. The person in attendance was reportedly believed to be a contracted agent who does not work for Microsoft directly.

The Windows 7 training session gave people the opportunity to go hands-on with the new operating system. Microsoft provided customers with demo books that people could use to show customers different features.

The seminar also portrayed the PC as a superior platform to the Mac, noting that 32 of the top 100 programs for users are available for the Mac.

"The Guru was really just there to help out if we had questions," the attendee said. "He made no special presentation and from listening to him as he walked around, he really didn't sound all that knowledgeable about Windows 7. I would liken him more to a Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy than an Apple Genius."

post #2 of 73
"Windows 7. Preview your indigestion here!"
post #3 of 73
That's such a bad symbolism. Eat it and throw up?
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
80 million iPhones by 2012. That's only 15% of the market.

http://www.iphonethailand.net
post #4 of 73
YEEKS, Ballmer on the Today Show this morning and now this. Who let him out of his cage?
post #5 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I would liken him more to a Geek Squad Agent at Best Buy than an Apple Genius."

Thats funny.
post #6 of 73
Burger King, Whopper, ... Really fits MS' classy image.
C-students and mediocrity rule the world ! \
post #7 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

Burger King, Whopper, ... Really fits MS' classy image.
C-students and mediocrity rule the world ! \

And Ballmer's waistline. He needs to view the AI flash ads for Hollywood abs.
post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And Ballmer's waistline. He needs to view the AI flash ads for Hollywood abs.

There are ads on AI?
post #9 of 73
This marketing blitz is repulsive. Oh well, as long as it puts money in SOMEONE's pocket.

post #10 of 73
Training for Windows Gurus, ha! What a joke. How much training do you need to say "that's a hardware issue, you need to talk to your PC manufacturer"? Four times in my whole life I've called Microsoft tech support and that's all they ended up saying. Fooled me four times, shame on me.

By the way, they turned out not to be hardware issues. The techies were just numbskulls.
post #11 of 73
There's some definite visual correlations between that burger and software bloat. I'm sure eating that would make me feel about as good as I do when I use Windows. Yeesh.
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
post #12 of 73
Burger King and Microsoft... Both will give you intestinal cramps and severe diarrhea. Yay!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 73
MS lost the Premium market big-time.

This isn't the way to get it back. Sad.

This Windows 7 advertising is all over the map - Family Guy, burgers, vague commercials, you name it. Says a great deal about the software, though. And it's not all good.
post #14 of 73
Quote:
In concert with Thursday's release of Windows 7, Burger King in Japan has begun selling a Whopper with seven patties of meat

So what did they do when Windows 95 was released?
post #15 of 73
Ballroom computer presentations - people still do that? Having taught MCT courses in the 90s that last photo gave me shivers.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #16 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YEEKS, Ballmer on the Today Show this morning and now this. Who let him out of his cage?

Notice that most of the demonstration phase of the interview was spent looking at hardware, including a Dell notebook that looked like a MacBook Air though wider in the hips and a significant part of the discussion involved Apple.

At least no one could accuse AI of orchestrating the interview (could they?)!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #17 of 73
My turn for a cheap shot lol ... I guess this shows where they think their base hangs out!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #18 of 73
That whopper is ridiculous, is it Japan only?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #19 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There are ads on AI?

Yes, you're missing out on so much with your limited Click2Flash. Too bad.
post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

That whopper is ridiculous, is it Japan only?

What does the Japanese hot dog champion have to say about this? besides Barf?
post #21 of 73
Family Guy as advertainment?!?!?!

Has Seth MacFarlane sold himself to the lowest denominator? Brian and Stewie would have had choice things to say about this, but now I'm sure their tongues will be tied.
post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Notice that most of the demonstration phase of the interview was spent looking at hardware, including a Dell notebook that looked like a MacBook Air though wider in the hips and a significant part of the discussion involved Apple.

At least no one could accuse AI of orchestrating the interview (could they?)!

Matt Lauer and Al Roker are bigtime Apple fans. I've seen Lauer in the Apple store. Roker loves his iPhone.
post #23 of 73
post #24 of 73
Burger King, huh?

Maybe MS can get the MS choir of past commercials and sing the new and improved BK MS song...

It goes something like this...

"Hold the Malware, Hold the Viruses,
Win 7 Registrations will just mire us.
All we ask is that you let us
c:/ crash it our way
Call a Guru, call them today.
Call a Guru, call them today...."

MS Gurus available at all two MS stores...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #25 of 73
Is it just me or does this Windows guru look a bit like Kim Jong-Il?
post #26 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft has also paid for a Windows 7-centric special episode of the Fox animated comedy "Family Guy." Entitled "Family Guy Presents: Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show," it will air commercial-free on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 8:30 p.m. EST and PST.

commercial-free??? so promoting W7 is what?
post #27 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So what did they do when Windows 95 was released?

become an official IT cancer
post #28 of 73
Ballmer actually seemed pretty tame on the Today Show!
post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Ballmer actually seemed pretty tame on the Today Show!

Right? but you could see he's holding back- ready to let loose. Can you imagine him today at 3pm? then happy hour? what an animal!
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

That's such a bad symbolism. Eat it and throw up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Burger King and Microsoft... Both will give you severe diarrhea.

And I thought only me and my son get food poisoning every time we eat at Burger King!
post #31 of 73
I just watched the Steve Ballmer interview on MSNBC with Matt Lauer. They pulled out the Dell version of the MacBook Air and Ballmer went on about how light it was.

I would have given anything if someone could have asked him if it had a DVD drive after Ballmer pissed on the Air at MIX.
post #32 of 73
I have a new catch phrase for that ad. "Windows 7, take a bite into the bloat!"
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

Is it just me or does this Windows guru look a bit like Kim Jong-Il?

Or maybe the illegitimate love child of Kim Jong-Il and Mt. T.
post #34 of 73
I actually wouldn't mind trying that Whopper..... whoppers are so good...

wouldn't mind trying out Windows 7 either. Will probably upgrade my XP install on the desktop to 7 to keep up with the times (now how many years behind OS X?). Not sure what to do with my XP partition on the MBP, but I haven't booted in there for over a year because of Windows authentication issues.

I suspect Windows 7 will be a success for MS regardless of how good/crappy it is. There is a mentality building for people that "it's about time to upgrade my windows", just have to get them to think OS X instead
post #35 of 73
Microsoft - the fast-food vendor equivalent in the software world:

Software which satisfies your immediate needs, but leaves you with indigestion due to poor usability, frequent (sugar) crashes, and eventual clogging of the arteries requiring bypass surgery (the need to reinstall your OS due to eventually bogging your computer down to a crawl/causing system instability).

post #36 of 73
Clearly the person in charge of the Windows 7 marketing program is a complete dolt or hates Microsoft and is trying to sabotage the product. Windows "Parties", Whoppers and Cartoons??? Seriously, what the hell is going on at Microsoft?

Is this "marketing" supposed to influence business owners to dump XP?
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn3416 View Post

Seriously, what the hell is going on at Microsoft?

Ballmer and crew are the real "The Men who stare at Goats"!

"This story is about what happened when a small group of men - highly placed within the United States Military, the Government, and the Intelligence Services - began believing in very strange things" - see link

http://books.google.com/books?id=2ht...age&q=&f=false

post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn3416 View Post

Seriously, what the hell is going on at Microsoft?

I think Steve Jobs dumped some bad LSD in the Redmond water supply.

post #39 of 73
The Whopper: The best in junk food!
Windows 7: The best in junk software!
post #40 of 73
Can you imagine having to sit next to a sweating, screeching, and poo flinging Balmer on a flight from Seattle to NYC? What is that, like 5 hours?

Since I'm sure he travels by corporate jet, fortunately we'll never have that experience.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Burger King sells Windows 7 Whoppers as Microsoft begins Guru training