or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening

Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening - Page 3

post #81 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is no such thing as a premium market. That is something made up by Apple fanboys to justify that Apple has never broken into double digits in the PC arena.

Apple creates and arena and will only play in that arena. If they were that proud of their OS and felt that could support the many hardware options MS supports they would have done it a long time ago. Fact is they can't.

Its not that hard to have the #1 rating in customer service when you are only supporting 9% of the market and have a handful of hardware options.

Premium market my Velocity mirco system cost more then two 27" iMacs. Apple uses the same hardware as everyone else there isn't anything Premium in their hardware, that is a myth that people like you have talked themselves into believing.

Let's see...
90%(sic) of a moribund market, or increasing dominance of the market of the future (mobile internet), and growing. MS dominance of the desktop is due to entrenched monopoly and corporate entrenchment. They have no battle plan to counter the Apple ecosystem and they're scared shitless.
I know which one my money is on.
post #82 of 294
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXrSiqryg5E

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #83 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Do you think the Burger King fanboys bash every new McDonalds for copying their stores and vice versa?

Burger King fanboys, funny...

Although McDonalds and Burger King have a lobby leading to a cashier that has a menu board of food items, that once you get your meal and go to the dining room area and sit at a "booth" or table with chairs to eat, you look around at the aesthetics and that's where McDonalds and Burger King try to make the "same" into their own "atmosphere".

Whereas with Apple and MS, you have Apple for the most part introducing innovations and MS following their lead with a over hyped similar product...

Apple Mac OS X aqua, widgets, etc. - MS OS Vista aero, gadgets, etc.
Apple iPod and ITMS - MS Zune the Social, the Marketplace
Apple iPhone - MS Pink
Apple retail stores - MS retail stores with the same Apple flare

It seems MS is styling its products so much so to mimic Apple's that I guess they hope to confuse the consumer and therefore MS will be satisfied with the crumbs (in sales) that fall off Apple's table (of success)!

Someone help me out...

What is it called when someone can't just be themselves but has to emulate someone else in mannerisms, dress, looks, actions, deeds, etc. in order to feel accepted? Wouldn't a Psychologist believe them to be suffering from poor self-esteem?! Maybe they should see a psychiatrists because they can prescribe medication. Lord know some of the MS execs can use a chill pill every now and then!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #84 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._by_apple.html

The very site you hang out on says there is (and it's not just little old AI saying it, either.)

Now what?

And the PC manufacturers are crying a river.

But hey, they sell more computers than Apple does!
post #85 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Microsoft innovation at work.

I see an Apple-inspired storefront and interior, many displays, and a lot of people standing around...
but no sales.

Yup, typical microsoft.
post #86 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

There is definitely one way Microsoft innovates over Apple that's shown in their store openings, pay a boat load of people to be on site at the opening to mingle with the actual shopper. There's probably close to 100 employes there! Mix in a few dozen photographers and the affiliate representatives and you got a Microsoft party.

MS kept their disaster of a retail outlet in SF open long after it was an obvious failure.
They have the pockets to keep such stores open and filled with 'customers' for as long as they want.
post #87 of 294
Quote:

There is no such thing as a premium market. That is something made up by Apple fanboys to justify that Apple has never broken into double digits in the PC arena.

Apple creates and arena and will only play in that arena. If they were that proud of their OS and felt that could support the many hardware options MS supports they would have done it a long time ago. Fact is they can't.

Its not that hard to have the #1 rating in customer service when you are only supporting 9% of the market and have a handful of hardware options.

Premium market my Velocity mirco system cost more then two 27" iMacs. Apple uses the same hardware as everyone else there isn't anything Premium in their hardware, that is a myth that people like you have talked themselves into believing.

I remember Steve Ballmer claiming that Microsoft has now 25% of premium market in Zune players. He described premium market as mp3 players over $250.

Regarding Notebooks it used to be a large number of computers over $1000 but more recently PCs with Windows have been gravitating lower.

Check out following:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1681...h-get-an-apple
post #88 of 294
Quote:

I know. Opening a store, how dare they.

Yeah, I mean, Apple invented retail stores right?
post #89 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

There is definitely one way Microsoft innovates over Apple that's shown in their store openings, pay a boat load of people to be on site at the opening to mingle with the actual shopper. There's probably close to 100 employes there! Mix in a few dozen photographers and the affiliate representatives and you got a Microsoft party.

Funny as heck. They even copied the "cheering on the customers" from the Apple Store iPhone introduction. Laaaaaaaame!

(Store shot on an iPhone... pretty funny)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzhFanBm4SY

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #90 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

So is this a Microsoft Store or a Windows Store?

The logo suggests this is a Windows store, unless Microsoft changed their logo.

I particularly like the Blue Screen-wall of Death along the length of the store. A nice touch.
post #91 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

can someone please point me to the premium market. I've been hearing that Apple holds the premium market but last time I checked you can purchase or build your own PC for $2,000+ (I'm guessing "premium" comes from the price because Apple's hardware definitely isn't premium) that would wipe the floor with any Mac. And I may be mistaken but they all run Windows. So again, where is the premium market?

Whether youre buying or building your own PC, there are premium options. If you build your PC are you going for the cheap components or going for the more expensive, premium components that may or may not actually provide better tech specs, but be built with higher quality materials and be built to more rigid specs, usually offering a better warranty and better service if there is a problem. This is how the premium has always worked.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #92 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I see an Apple-inspired storefront and interior, many displays, and a lot of people standing around...
but no sales.

Yup, typical microsoft.

How, because you mean your company will buy it for you instead, so that you'll stay competitive?
post #93 of 294
Hmmm... I thought Microsoft already had a chain of stores:

post #94 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

I wonder if their average revenue per store will approach that of an Apple store?

Highly doubtful, of course! This is Microsoft's 1st brick-and-mortar store, located in an affluent community, it is D-day for Windows 7, but do you see anything being sold?
post #95 of 294
All I have to say it this is pathetic, the store looks boring and stupid!!! MS get a life, and build a decent OS!!! Oh wait we already have a decent OS from another company that is called OSX!!!!

Microsoft needs to just go away, I am so sick of them!!!
post #96 of 294
Quote:

I don't really see it as being a big bang for the buck either but what gets annoying is everytime MS does something people spout off they are scared of Apple or copying Apple which is a joke.

Apple spends just as much money trying to combat MS. So maybe they are the ones that are scared. God forbid anyone say that. Lets remember who has 90% of the OS market.

whoopee for MS 90% of the market share, so I bought my Apple shares in 1998-99 for approx. $16 per shares and now there are worth USD$ 205 per share and believe me, I bought a good amount at the time.

So you can keep your market share and I keep a company that is performing well and putting money in my pocket and has innovative products that outperform the competition.

I am not Apple Fanboy, but someone who enjoys innovative over exploitation and sub standard products.

I wonder which shareholders are more happy Apple or MS

P.S. I may look to buy some shares in Ms, since there must go up soon, the share price is very attractive, but then again what products are going to give me a ROI??
post #97 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy-i.com View Post

Love IT
post #98 of 294
Quote:

Would you rather they have shirtless guys greeting you at the door like Abercrombie 2009?

Yeah ok good point, but did you see the size of the woman in the green shirt. Honestly, first thing you see coming in, is a ginormus women swing her arm at you. Nice.

I still fail to see the point of this store, then again, I was really skeptical that Apple would have much success when I first heard that they were going into retail.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #99 of 294
It's interesting... Just thinking about how Microsoft can possibly make these stores profitable. If their real product is Windows, MS Office, etc., how can they possibly become profitable selling and servicing other manufacturer's computers? I have no inside knowledge of their projected profit margins, but this strikes me as a weakness in the retail format for MS.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #100 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post

I'm curious to see how many customers are turned away at Microsoft's "Guru Bar" due to 3-party software and hardware issues which the in-store techs cannot fix.

I wonder if they will transfer all of your data from your Mac to a new PC when you switch to Windows. Believe it or not Apple does do the reverse of that when you buy a Mac. I was in an Apple Store and saw a really old PC on the Genius Bar and wondered wtf? Then the tech started copying the files to the new Mac. I was shocked.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #101 of 294
Quote:

How, because you mean your company will buy it for you instead, so that you'll stay competitive?

You might want to rephrase that into an intelligible question.
post #102 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Burger King fanboys, funny...

Although McDonalds and Burger King have a lobby leading to a cashier that has a menu board of food items, that once you get your meal and go to the dining room area and sit at a "booth" or table with chairs to eat, you look around at the aesthetics and that's where McDonalds and Burger King try to make the "same" into their own "atmosphere".

Whereas with Apple and MS, you have Apple for the most part introducing innovations and MS following their lead with a over hyped similar product...

Apple Mac OS X aqua, widgets, etc. - MS OS Vista aero, gadgets, etc.
Apple iPod and ITMS - MS Zune the Social, the Marketplace
Apple iPhone - MS Pink
Apple retail stores - MS retail stores with the same Apple flare

It seems MS is styling its products so much so to mimic Apple's that I guess they hope to confuse the consumer and therefore MS will be satisfied with the crumbs (in sales) that fall off Apple's table (of success)!

Apple has copied MS on a number of things.

Of course, MS got the ball rolling when it ripped off the Mac badly with Windows 3.0.

And Windows guys, feel free to jump in with the Xerox Parc stuff.
post #103 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Yeah ok good point, but did you see the size of the woman in the green shirt. Honestly, first thing you see coming in, is a ginormus women swing her arm at you. Nice.

Hey, it's just like being back at Wal-Mart... which, come to think of it, won't be happy with the new source of competition for sales at their stores. This can only anger all retailers selling MS product.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #104 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Also I see the store is advertising its best brand image "the blue screen"

haha - right on - thanks for making me chuckle...
post #105 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

can someone please point me to the premium market. I've been hearing that Apple holds the premium market but last time I checked you can purchase or build your own PC for $2,000+ (I'm guessing "premium" comes from the price because Apple's hardware definitely isn't premium) that would wipe the floor with any Mac. And I may be mistaken but they all run Windows. So again, where is the premium market?

It's where the consumers have decided it is, and which MS has acknowledged publicly (in media players as well) and is desperately trying to win back.

http://www.electronista.com/articles....prem.laptops/

And there are already plenty of link to Apple's record Mac sales this year. I think you can find those yourself.

So get a Mac and join in the fun.
post #106 of 294
... there is such a thing in the retail world known as trade dress and it extends to retail store design. Its a form of intellectual property. There seems to be a lot here that treads on Apples trade dress but I can't tell from the shots what the layout is really like. What is clear though are the floor to ceiling glass fronts, open layout inside and other aspects of Apples minimalist design. Not saying that there is a clear cut legal case here but the imitation is so transparent as to be laughable and I would think, infuriating to the people who designed Apples original stores.

People who aren't in the biz often look at stuff like that and say, whats the big deal its just some stripped down tables, a counter for the geniuses, and a plain glass front because they have never been in the position to have to design something original. When Apple came out with their store design, it was really something that had never been seen before in the malls. Very distinctive, very functional and elegant, and won lots of awards for the design firm, etc.

All I can say is that Balmer is freaked about Apples ascendancy and it's showing with every step they take in the consumer realm and his frequent statements to the contrary. And he rails against software piracy ... what a dweeb.
post #107 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's interesting... Just thinking about how Microsoft can possibly make these stores profitable. If their real product is Windows, MS Office, etc., how can they possibly become profitable selling and servicing other manufacturer's computers? I have no inside knowledge of their projected profit margins, but this strikes me as a weakness in the retail format for MS.

how does best buy make profits selling and servicing other manufacturers computers?
post #108 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think even MS knows yet. MS is usually in the habit of not thinking things through before jumping in.
post #109 of 294
Quote:

Best thing you've ever posted.

By far.
post #110 of 294
Quote:

Oh right- I forgot no retail store has ever posted large pictures of their products on their walls before. Does Apple own a copyright on that? GAP anyone?

Did you even look at the picture? The poster looks the same as Apple's iPhone Apps signs.
post #111 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

All I can say is that Balmer is freaked about Apples ascendancy and it's showing with every step they take in the consumer realm and his frequent statements to the contrary

Perfectly put.
post #112 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy-i.com View Post

You forgot these:

post #113 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

... there is such a thing in the retail world known as trade dress and it extends to retail store design. Its a form of intellectual property. There seems to be a lot here that treads on Apples trade dress but I can't tell from the shots what the layout is really like. What is clear though are the floor to ceiling glass fronts, open layout inside and other aspects of Apples minimalist design. Not saying that there is a clear cut legal case here but the imitation is so transparent as to be laughable and I would think, infuriating to the people who designed Apples original stores.

People who aren't in the biz often look at stuff like that and say, whats the big deal its just some stripped down tables, a counter for the geniuses, and a plain glass front because they have never been in the position to have to design something original. When Apple came out with their store design, it was really something that had never been seen before in the malls. Very distinctive, very functional and elegant, and won lots of awards for the design firm, etc.

All I can say is that Balmer is freaked about Apples ascendancy and it's showing with every step they take in the consumer realm and his frequent statements to the contrary. And he rails against software piracy ... what a dweeb.

i hope they get sued and lose millions for copying
post #114 of 294
Quote:

Oh right- I forgot no retail store has ever posted large pictures of their products on their walls before. Does Apple own a copyright on that? GAP anyone?

Teck, the copying going on here is blatant. MS' intent here is painfully obvious. MS has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to Apple, and it's affecting their every move. It's as if they've lost the capacity for original thought.

MS is absolutely obsessed with Apple's rise. Ballmer can't stop talking about them. It's going to manifst itself physically, and it ha been for years. This store is just another example of it, and a bizzarely obvious one at that.
post #115 of 294
Even if you knew nothing about the history or the products, you would only have to look at the Microsoft logo and the Apple logo to know which one is the quality company.
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
post #116 of 294
Has any pundit expressed that this may be a bad move for MS the same way they expressed it was a bad move for Apple to open up retail stores?
post #117 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

how does best buy make profits selling and servicing other manufacturers computers?

By overcharging the ignorant.

Wait, you have a valid point! That's EXACTLY how MS has made profits since its inception!

Thompson
post #118 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i hope they get sued and lose millions for copying

Its like telling a billionaire that he lose USD$10,000 in gamble, millions do not affect MS at all. Just look at the fines and lawsuits there had to pay in past.

Majority of companies have a war-chest for such issues, which is part of the overall operating budget for the company each year.
You may hate MS, but indirectly MS pushes Apple to provide us the most innovative product in market.
post #119 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Yes, but that's not the only thing they sell. They have big ticket items and lots of high velocity smaller items also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #120 of 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Teck, the copying going on here is blatant. MS' intent here is painfully obvious. MS has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to Apple, and it's affecting their every move. It's as if they've lost the capacity for original thought.

MS is absolutely obsessed with Apple's rise. Ballmer can't stop talking about them. It's going to manifst itself physically, and it ha been for years. This store is just another example of it, and a bizzarely obvious one at that.

Retail takes a big effort. We will see if MS has heart to carry it through.

Apple has the "all built in one house" advantage. All their products take design cues off of one another. Aluminum and glass is a big thing for them right now. Easy for them to get the whole experience thing going. MS has improved in that respect but they still do not really control the hardware.

They just cannot get that seamless experience. Makes me wonder if MS will try to design their own PC's.

That would be a real set of balls there. They know what their hardware partners margins are.

MS would not be able to continue to live off the fat of Windows and office if they did.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Exclusive photos, video from Microsoft Store grand opening