or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos) - Page 7

post #241 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Grow up. You actually joined the forum to post this nonsense. Great first post. You said alot of nothing. Newbee now this is what a true troll looks like.

His tone wasn't entirely appropriate, but he was absolutely right.

You're sitting here trying to convince Apple users on an APPLE FAN SITE about Windows being this and that. Exactly how far do you think you're going to get?

Apple has a lock on its market. They have too much momentum, too much mindhsare. They're too cool, too astute in their timing, they have their finger on the pulse of the market, and they're doing too well to lose anyone. Once you choose Apple, you're staying. There's no going back for Mac uses or for Apple as a company.

So if it's your intent to get everyone to come around to the Windows way of thinking, it's not going to happen. Especially on a site called "AppleInsider." Apple simply has too much to offer. Users are too pampered and we just have it too good to go back to Windows. Why risk it? Why leave what's been working so beautifully for years now?

It's over. Apple's momentum can't be curtailed. MS let Apple tear around the market, doing whatever it wants for far too long. You'er not going to convert anyone here. That's why it's futile for Windows fanboys/trolls/partisans, whatever you want to call them, to camp Apple fansites hoping to prove something. Too late for that. You've been at this all day, but doing it in the worst possible place. You're wasting your time. It might have worked years ago, but it's an entirely different ballgame now.
post #242 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You should never not want to know how something works. How can you make an educated opinion regarding Apple and Microsoft when you don't understand how all this works?

[QUOTE=extremeskater;1507057]
Do you know how an automatic transmission works, or do you just put it in "drive" and start driving? I know how my computer operates and that's all I have to know because that's all I want to do with it. However, like most people, I can read a manual and so if I ever have a problem I'm confident I can trouble shoot my way out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

When you say things like Vista doesn't work and is fully of viruses clearly you are not speaking from experience and only going off what Ads tell you.

Your right, I don't use Vista. The PC that we have, for our daughters to use on their work files when they come to visit, is running XP. They demanded XP because they had so much trouble at work with Vista until, like thousands of others, they went back to XP. When my wife uses it and runs into trouble, I do my research and learn how to fix it. I don't go off the ads, however, I do use knowledge gained from researching the internet to fix her many computing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I haven't had a virus in I can't tell you how long and I don't even know when the last time a windows user has had a blue screen. It makes for good tv for people that are ignorant to the truth.

Count your blessings. I can tell you it hasn't been that long for both situations in the case of my daughters or 2 of their friends.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #243 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Your right, I don't use Vista. The PC that we have, for our daughters to use on their work files when they come to visit, is running XP. They demanded XP because they had so much trouble at work with Vista until, like thousands of others, they went back to XP. When my wife uses it and runs into trouble, I do my research and learn how to fix it. I don't go off the ads, however, I do use knowledge gained from researching the internet to fix her many computing problems.

Funny, I've never had a single problem with Vista, and I push it pretty hard with 3D Studio Max, Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop.

It 'just works'. Always has.

Curious.
post #244 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There is no use even posting. You have never used these products. When you have come back to me.

"There is no use even posting" .... Correct, like M$, you're fighting a losing battle!

"You have never used these products." .... Fail


"When you have come back to me." .... I'm baaaack ... and please insert comma in appropriate place! (after "have") just so people won't get the wrong idea, ... "not that there's anything wrong with that"
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #245 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Do you own an iPhone?

Do you own a horse?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #246 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Funny, I've never had a single problem with Vista, and I push it pretty hard with 3D Studio Max, Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop.

It 'just works'. Always has.

Curious.

I guess people going back in hordes to XP and Vista's status as the most hated and poorly crafted operating system in recent memory was just a figment of people's imaginations.

Even Bill Gates hated it and all but admitted it point blank right on camera.

You're fine with Vista, which must mean everyone else is.

Try thinking outside of yourself and you'll see it's a completely different situation. You do, of course, know that there is such a thing as the "average user", who forms the vast bulk of the market. If it's no good for the average user . . . it's no good.
post #247 of 321
The latest from Daring Fireball. As usual, Gruber nails it:


★ Herd Mentality

Conformity is a powerful instinct. Theres safety in numbers. You have to be different to be better, but different is scary.

So of course theres some degree of herd mentality in every industry. But I think its more pronounced, to a pathological degree, in the PC hardware industry. It was at the root of long-standing punditry holding that Apple should license the Mac OS to other PC makers, or that Apple should dump Mac OS and make Windows PCs. On the surface, those two old canards seem contradictory one arguing that Apple should be a hardware company, the other arguing that it should be a software company. But at their root theyre the same argument: that Apple should stop being different, and either act just like other PC makers (and sell computers running Windows) or else act just like Microsoft (and sell licenses to its OS).

No one argues those two points any more. But its the same herd mentality that led to the rash of Apple needs to get in the netbook game punditry that I claim-checked earlier today. I could have linked to a dozen others. The argument, though, is the same: everyone else is making netbooks, so Apple should, too. Why? Because everyone else is.

I think theres a simple reason why the herd mentality is worse in the PC industry: Microsoft. In fact, I think it used to be worse. A decade ago the entire computing industry all facets of it was dominated by a herd mentality that boiled down to Get behind Microsoft and follow their lead, or else youll get stomped. Thats no longer true in application software. The web, and Google in particular, have put an end to that.

But the one area where Microsoft still reigns supreme is in PC operating systems. PC hardware makers are crippled. They cant stand apart from the herd even if they want to. Their OS choices are: (a) the same version of Windows that every other PC maker includes; or (b) the same open source Linux distributions that every other PC maker could include but which no customers want to buy.1

Apples ability to produce innovative hardware is inextricably intertwined with its ability to produce innovative software. The iPhone is an even better example than the Mac.

Its not just that Apple is different among computer makers. Its that Apple is the only one that even can be different, because its the only one that has its own OS. Part of the industry-wide herd mentality is an assumption that no one else can make a computer OS that anyone can make a computer but only Microsoft can make an OS. It should be embarrassing to companies like Dell and Sony, with deep pockets and strong brand names, that theyre stuck selling computers with the same copy of Windows installed as the no-name brands.

And then theres HP, a company with one of the best names and proudest histories in the industry. Apple made news this week for the design and tech specs of its all-new iMacs, which start at $1199. HP made news this week for unveiling a Windows 7 launch bundle at Best Buy that includes a desktop PC and two laptops, all for $1199. That might be great for Microsoft, but how is it good for HP that their brand now stands for bargain basement prices?

Operating systems arent mere components like RAM or CPUs; theyre the single most important part of the computing experience. Other than Apple, theres not a single PC maker that controls the most important aspect of its computers. Imagine how much better the industry would be if there were more than one computer maker trying to move the state of the art forward.
post #248 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What is there to show? Do you want to know my backround. I am 42 years old, I have been a systems programmer with IBM since the age of 20. So I have 22 years of experience in IT.

If you want my full resume and W2 form I will have to get to know you a bit better. In any case at least when I make a statement about a product I make sure I have at least used it so I can give at least a somewhat intelligent opinion.

If you are going to bash Window or anything else for that matter you should at least have some knowledge of the product and not base an opinion on what others say.

Saying how great an iPhone is when you don't own one makes no sense. Bashing Vista or Win 7 when you have never used it makes no sense.

Not sure what anyone here including myself needs to "show" you.


Take a "chill pill" ... I was referring to this from one of your earlier posts.

"Should I give you the list of software you cant run on a Mac. Not sure the AI server could hold all that info."

I should have included that in my post but did not, ...my bad. Between spelling mistakes and forgetting info, I think it is time for me to leave, but you can still list all that software if you like. I'll see it tomorrow. This time I'm really out.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #249 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There aren't any trolls on this forum Soul and I may not agree on certain subjects but he appears to be well educated and I respect his opinion even when we don't agree. That goes for any other member as long as we don't attack each other.

People can disagree and not be trolls. I am willing to bet I have far more Apple product in my house then you do but that doesn't mean I am blindly loyal. I have also worked for IBM for 22 years and guess who made chips for Apple before intel. So I have worked with Mac computer for decades.

So just because someone isnt a koolaid drinker doesn't mean that ar trolls. On the flip side not every Apple fan is a fanboy.

I never named any trolls, but I'll take your word for it.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #250 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

We weren't going by revenue we were looking at revenue to profit ratio. Revenue means very little if you don't have any profit. Go back and look at the post.


"The Company posted revenue of $9.87 billion and a net quarterly profit of $1.67 billion." (taken from Apple quarterly report on Apple website.)

I'm guessing that even you would have to agree that " net quarterly profit of $1.67 billion" (3 months, in case you missed it) qualifies that to be better than: "Revenue means very little if you don't have any profit." .... Like I said, if I were you I would stay from "the numbers".
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #251 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No I don't then again I don't pretend to own one and I don't pretend to be an expert in horses.

Neither do I, on iPhones or horses ....next?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #252 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Your going by one quarters profit My numbers were over a longer period of time. However we can address Q4 numbers once Windows 7 gets rolling. I never said Apples numbers weren't good however MS still has alot more in the bank

Actually, for over a year now MS has had less cash reserves than Apple.
http://venturebeat.com/2008/10/23/mi...sh-than-apple/ I cant find any newer info, but losing your reserves is not something you wish to advertise. Im sure it can be figured out if you look at their quarterlies. Apples reserves have been growing fast. I think they now have between $35-40B on reserve.

Neither company is hurting. MS will selling more many more copies of Win7. With less than 5% worldwide marketshare, MS should ship 18x more copies of Win7 on PCs than Apple ships SL on Macs, even while breaking records yet again. This is not an unexpected outcome..

While MS is not hurting, there financial growth is pretty stagnant. Shareholders do not like that. Building too fast is eradicate and eventual plateau or slowing will scare shareholders. Apple is smart to build carefully with moderated growth year-over-year.

I predict that wihin two years Apples Market Cap valuation will be higher than MS. They beat out Google just a couple days ago.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...c1MI0Aohc8tWpM
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #253 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

"The Company posted revenue of $9.87 billion and a net quarterly profit of $1.67 billion." (taken from Apple quarterly report on Apple website.

I'm guessing that even you would have to agree that " net quarterly profit of $1.67 billion" (3 months, in case you missed it) qualifies that to be better than: "Revenue means very little if you don't have any profit." .... Like I said, if I were you I would stay from "the numbers".

Microsoft posted a quarterly profit of $3.57 billion so I don't understand the point of throwing around Apple numbers. Like you said the numbers mean nothing. Throwing them around really isn't going to get anybody anywhere
post #254 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

Microsoft posted a quarterly profit of $3.57 billion so I don't understand the point of throwing around Apple numbers. Like you said the numbers mean nothing. Throwing them around really isn't going to get anybody anywhere

On point is that MSFTs revenue and profit has been falling while AAPLs has been rising. Im certain the Holiday quarter will be record breaking in many ways, but dont dont count Apple out simply because its sells its OS differently than Microsoft. Apples quarterly gross revenue could easily beat MS within a year. And even though software has a higher profit margins, if that trend continues, then even their net profit could be higher than MS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #255 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On point is that MSFTs revenue and profit has been falling while AAPLs has been rising. Im certain the Holiday quarter will be record breaking in many ways, but dont dont count Apple out simply because its sells its OS differently than Microsoft. Apples quarterly gross revenue could easily beat MS within a year. And even though software has a higher profit margins, if that trend continues, then even their net profit could be higher than MS.

MS has been in a steady decline for years now.
post #256 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Even in decline they still manage to stay way head of Apple.

They arent staying way ahead. Apple is pushing toward them while they are dropping lower. The gap has been closing for years now. After a couple quarters well see if Win7 is the success they need to widen that gap.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #257 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Even in decline they still manage to stay way head of Apple.

When your OS is licensed to run on every POS PC made by every manufacturer under the sun, that'll tend to happen.

It should be embarrassing to companies like Dell and Sony, with deep pockets and strong brand names, that they’re stuck selling computers with the same copy of Windows installed as the no-name brands. That's all they have: Windows. No way to differentiate themselves.

And then there’s HP, a company with one of the best names and proudest histories in the industry. Apple made news this week for the design and tech specs of its all-new iMacs, which start at $1199. HP made news this week for unveiling a Windows 7 launch bundle at Best Buy that includes a desktop PC and two laptops, all for $1199. That might be great for Microsoft, but how is it good for HP that their brand now stands for bargain basement prices? But I digress . . .
post #258 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And if they no longer trust that word of mouth?

Someone once told me to "believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see". (and he wasn't even talking about these boards) .... Thank God for the highest user satisfaction surveys in the industry, eh?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #259 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You need to chill out. With the new Apple ads it appears they have far more of an ego problem then MS.

Would you rather they have an inferiority complex, like a lot of the M$ trolls that hang around seem to have?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #260 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Glad to see you had a nap and your back. We missed you.

Aw, shucks!
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #261 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its not a bottom line answer its a bullet item along with sevreal key points. Even SJ says the peronal computer belongs to MS. SJ said a while ago that MS one that battle a long time ago. That doesn't mean Apple cant do well in that arena and others like the iPod and iPhone.

This isn't a win all or lose all situation. You need to chill out. With the new Apple ads it appears they have far more of an ego problem then MS. Apple takes the approach if you cant look good try to make someone else look bad. Which never works and only look weak.

Your perspective is completely skewed. Apple's ads indicate they have an ego problem? What utter nonsense. Apple's ads are aimed at poaching Windows users, which they do quite effectively. There's no ego involved. It's strictly a case of lampooning the annoying flaws of the Windows world as a means to picking up market share. It is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, but, hey, that's not Apple's fault.

The only reason it offends you so much, and that you are here trying to justify yourself, is that you know deep down that everything they say is true, but it's so threatening to your sense of self worth to accept that you've wasted so much time on Windows that you express your anger as hostility toward Apple and not its real target. And you think I need to chill? Well, you are in serious denial.

Microsoft is on a serious downhill slide, regardless of how well 7 is received. They may end up like your company, perhaps doing quite well providing service to a core group of loyal customers for a number of years to come. But, in 10 years, we'll all be asking ourselves why we were ever worried about their monopoly. (Which we rightly were at the time, but just like the anti-trust actions against IBM hobbled their monopoly power, so did those against Microsoft, thankfully.) They might have some hope if they got rid of Ballmer and could find an effective leader, but I suspect that their culture is at this point so dysfunctional that it would make little or no difference in the long run.
post #262 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Exactly. It doesn't matter if it is the screen's fault. It is still part of the PC experience. And if someone were to lug this thing into a Microsoft store and ask a Guru to help them out, what do you think would happen?

So, when i had a problem with my iMac, and I had no apple store to visit and Apple told me to go jump at myself, who do I blame?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #263 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

People like you have been saying MS has been on a downslide for years and ten years ago people like you said they wouldnt be around yet here they still are with the same market share they have always enjoyed. Ten years from now it will be the same story.

It has only been a few years since MS started make less revenue, so I dont know why anyone would say that 10 years ago. Jobs had just gotten back to Apple but they were far from being reborn into a viable company.

As for MS not going to be around in 10 years. That simply is impossible. Anonymouse didnt say they would be gone. Look at Apple and Dell to see how a PC company be doing poorly yet still be around.

I think what anonymouse is saying is that MS will may not have the monopoly they have today. If something like ChromeOS can be effective on the low end, which account for the majority of PC sales and Apple can dominate on the high-end like they do now then its Windows may be regulated to the mid-range and business. There is a lot of open source code and with HTML5s local DB caching a lot can be done with a browser based OS; just look at the Pres WebOS.

If their trend continues they could be hurting, but as weve seen many times over a company at the bottom can rebuild itself just a company at the top can crumble.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #264 of 321
ActuAlly it's not more if the same. It's very different and fast. I beta tested it for a few months. The media center is very cool and can see how they are focusing on network home dvr sharing.


We all now there's a huge media blitz coming from msft we Lao know most IT firms wil update but as a 99% mac user I was surprised to seecwindiw 7! In nubets 1,2,3,4?as best selling. Yikes. Then I saw footage on the first msft retail store and it was packed.

I can only wonder what will happen if the courier turns out to be true as this would be a first ever Microsoft owned and controlled hardware product. And for the record, I tried vista for two hours and it took over a year to have mackie high end firewire audio drivers with win 7 it worked instantly and mackie hasn't made drivers for win 7 yet. The courier could be a huge game changer and I see a lot of things but never anythnlike this and with no midrange yet again from apple, i bet we see alot of new hackntoshes.

Peace b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Really like the new ads !
After watching the ads the aspect that remained with me was
1 Customer Satisfaction
2 Windows 7 is more of the same from MS

I have never used a Mac for more the 5 minutes in the store but do plan on buying one in 2010. The user experience I had with the Macbook Pro far exceeded my expectations.
Something that no MS OS has ever done.

I have used Windows 7 and it reminds me to much of Vista.

Current Hardware Lineup:
Dell XPS Vista - Gaming PC for DDO / WOW
Home Build PC XP Pro
HP Laptop from work XP that will be upgraded to 7 next year from what IT is telling me.

Competition is good, but some of you really need to calm down and realize that not everyone wants to use a PC / MAC and neither is a wrong choice depending on what you need it for.
I will buy a Macbook pro because i want a laptop to do light gaming in a small form.
There are Windows Laptops that will do that , however they are only a little bit cheaper then the macbook pro , and sometimes more costly.
post #265 of 321
The OS debate is really irrelevant... In terms of core OS features and capabilities, Windows and OSX have lots in common. Sure, OSX had some nice features windows doesn't and windows has a few of its own...

The real issue is developers.... 3rd party Hardware and software. OSX and windows live in very different worlds as far as development is concerned. Microsoft and Apple have a very different approach to this.

Apple gets a huge advantage from the start because of how they control the drivers. Many issues, in fact probably most issues with vista were caused by terrible hardware and software drivers, and incompatible programs. Vista's slowness, I think has to do more with security (from malware, and piracy) although drivers and software are a factor here as well.

Windows just has a crappy software ecosystem. Apple has worked very hard to make sure OSX has a good one, even if its small.

Another great example of this is the iPhone. The iPhone was made for developers.

Windows mobile? Not exactly...
post #266 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What is there to show? Do you want to know my backround. I am 42 years old, I have been a systems programmer with IBM since the age of 20. So I have 22 years of experience in IT.

If you want my full resume and W2 form I will have to get to know you a bit better. In any case at least when I make a statement about a product I make sure I have at least used it so I can give at least a somewhat intelligent opinion.

If you are going to bash Window or anything else for that matter you should at least have some knowledge of the product and not base an opinion on what others say.

Saying how great an iPhone is when you don't own one makes no sense. Bashing Vista or Win 7 when you have never used it makes no sense.

Not sure what anyone here including myself needs to "show" you.

This is taking it little personal, do not let people get under your skin, just the internet and in scheme of your life, this discussion forum should mean very little and actually be a relaxing moment to discuss your opinions.
post #267 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Funny, I've never had a single problem with Vista, and I push it pretty hard with 3D Studio Max, Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop.

It 'just works'. Always has.

Curious.

Why people make this statement, ever after MS own CEO admits their got it wrong with Vista and Windows 7 is the real upgrade from XP, what Vista should have been. I do not doubt that you had no issues, but are you saying that its all a myth.

http://apcmag.com/vista_150_problems_0_solutions.htm I use this link because its the most recent and the second comment in forum is a classic.
post #268 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Why people make this statement, ever after MS own CEO admits their got it wrong with Vista and Windows 7 is the real upgrade from XP, what Vista should have been. I do not doubt that you had no issues, but are you saying that its all a myth.

http://apcmag.com/vista_150_problems_0_solutions.htm I use this link because its the most recent and the second comment in forum is a classic.

Vista's failure was mostly in marketing. Early driver and software support issues gave it a bad rep and its lack of software optimization nailed the lid onto its coffin. It works mostly now, however its reputation is forever tarnished. MS is now focusing all its attention to Windows 7.

The fact is a majority of PC users didn't experience any problems with vista... because they never bought it, because people like us told them not to. Now consumers get windows 7 thanks to people like you, me and the miracle of the internet .
post #269 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

LOL. If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. The general concensus on the internet is the ads are pathetic and sad, not to mention a simple repeat of the same old ads. People like you have been saying MS has been on a downslide for years and ten years ago people like you said they wouldnt be around yet here they still are with the same market share they have always enjoyed. Ten years from now it will be the same story.

Maybe decades from now MS won't have the leading OS but decades have proven it won't be Apple that unseats them. I have history to back my up statement you have nothing but a fantasy future to try and back up yours.

Well, of course, that's the reaction I would expect from you. But, here you are on AI frantically trying to convince us all that Apple is pathetic and Microsoft and Windows are absolutely fabulous. You could just be a troll, but I think it's more likely you are here to defend your self-esteem.

As for the ads reinforcing the same message being a negative, you either have shockingly little knowledge of very basic psychology, or again, your denial gets in the way of you seeing the truth; more likely the latter.


Ten years ago, people like me were urging the DoJ to break Microsoft into 4 or 5 pieces because people like me were concerned that they'd be around forever and completely stifle the technology industry if something weren't done about them. I don't think their downslide started until a few years ago, although, perhaps the seeds for it were sown much earlier.

It's more than somewhat ironic that someone who says he works for IBM would make such a strong argument that, because a company is on top, they will remain on top. But, in fact, history isn't such a good predictor of the future, so what you really have supporting your argument is nothing but your fervent desire that it be true.

I doubt very much that Mac OS X will ever become the dominant operating system in the personal computer market (1). What is much more likely is that Google (2) will launch a full scale assault on Microsoft at some point, taking away pretty much all of the low-end, third-world, and very likely the mid-end consumer markets with a free OS that will provide all the features that the average Windows user uses (which isn't really that much) with better security and stability; and Apple will continue its dominance in the high-end of this market.

This will basically leave Microsoft in essentially the same position IBM is in today, with an installed base of business users with too much of a technology commitment to switch to anything else, or needing some specific technology that Microsoft offers and is still better than what Linux can. They might still retain some small segment of the consumer market, but it's hard to see what that might be.

I know you reject this view of the future, but this is where I see the trends pointing, and I don't see anything at all that indicates that Microsoft has a strategy for preventing it. Windows 7 may be the best Windows ever (3), but it isn't that strategy.


NOTES:

1. Not dominant in terms of installed base, at least. In some ways -- e.g., it's already the operating system that is considered the standard of excellence for others to meet, by reviewers and others -- it already is the dominant OS.

2. It might possibly not be Google, but they are certainly the most likely candidate, they certainly have the ambition for it, and they do seem focused on taking revenue from Microsoft wherever they can. And, while for Apple to win, Microsoft doesn't have to lose, for Google to win, Microsoft does have to lose.

3. It's a rather cataclysmic event for an OS vendor when a new release isn't "the best yet". This is the main reason Vista is such a colossal disaster for them and has tarnished their image so badly.
post #270 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

This is taking it little personal, do not let people get under your skin, just the internet and in scheme of your life, this discussion forum should mean very little and actually be a relaxing moment to discuss your opinions.

On AppleInsider Forums it is a relaxing discussion for like 3 posts then all the flaming and personal attacks start building up.
post #271 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Apple I? You mean Apple II?
- anyway, according to Wikipedia the Apple II shipped before the Commordore PET

- the PET was a great machine though, but the keyboard was rubbish

- the Apple II was in a different league though
- bit-mapped colour graphics!

Here's from commodore pet wiki:

"The (PET) 2001 was announced at the '77 Winter CES [1] in January 1977"

From Commodore.ca :

Commodore PET History:
Announced and demonstrated in January of 1977 at the Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago, months before the Apple II or Radio Shack TRS80, the Commodore PET was the worlds first "real" computer

Apple might have been widely shipped a month or two before
post #272 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

according to wikipedia

Apple announced the iPhone on January 9, 2007 - iphone
It was first announced on 12 December 2006 - prada phone

So, you're confirming that the Prada phone was both released and announced before the iPhone... Prada phone actually went to market just a couple weeks after iPhone was announced...
post #273 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

So, you're confirming that the Prada phone was both released and announced before the iPhone... Prada phone actually went to market just a couple weeks after iPhone was announced...

While I understand the point you are attempting to make, your emphasis on historical precedence is misguided. The ideas of Charles Darwin may very well be considered evolutionary advancements from the ideas of his grandfather, Erasmus Darwin, just as he himself was, but it is Charles Darwin's ideas that are considered revolutionary.

Historical precedence is important... well, historically, but it doesn't necessarily correlate to the importance of something, and certainly not as to which is more revolutionary or not.

Imagine the headline Mr. Mossberg would have written for the book review: Origin of Species more Evolutionary than Revolutionary.
post #274 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Funny, I've never had a single problem with Vista, and I push it pretty hard with 3D Studio Max, Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop.

It 'just works'. Always has.

Curious.

good for you
and MS revamped to win7 ??
\\and all p/c makers still load win xp ??
hmm
most clients may not be as as avvy as you with tech stuff ??
and you post on a apple site why ?? to show off how smart you are with your big shot SW ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #275 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

LOL. If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. The general concensus on the internet is the ads are pathetic and sad, not to mention a simple repeat of the same old ads. People like you have been saying MS has been on a downslide for years and ten years ago people like you said they wouldnt be around yet here they still are with the same market share they have always enjoyed. Ten years from now it will be the same story.

Maybe decades from now MS won't have the leading OS but decades have proven it won't be Apple that unseats them. I have history to back my up statement you have nothing but a fantasy future to try and back up yours.

If you understood Apple's business model, you would know that Apple is not focused on being dominant OS, ever though it would be nice. Apple is focused on providing quality products that gives it a very good return and provides great customer care to ensure continued support by their customers.
Apple is like ICON in electronics world, everyone even the people who hate Apple, want to know what Apple is releasing next and it generates so much 'energy' in the news.

You keep shouting that 'market share' idea to us and I shout you 'record breaking profits', 'premium market' and as Apple shareholder, I am very happy with my investment at moment (been with Apple since 1999).

If it talks like a MS supporter and sounds like a MS supporter..Hmmm
post #276 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Your view is so slanted its amazing. HP, Sony and Dell all make a wide range of products unlike Apple. You can buy an HP netbook for 300.00 or one of their top of the line notebooks for over 2000.00. Same goes with Dell from a mini all the way to an XPS. I have no clue where you get these companies only sell bargain basement systems. You are so ignorant.

As for the Apple experience, Apple sells a system for 599.00 and a Macbook for 999.00 clearly not out of the range of most consumers. If someone really wanted to by an Apple product and use OSX they could buy a mini and monitor for well under a 1000.00. So its not like people cant afford it or cant buy it many choose not too. Just because you blow your load everytime you think about Apple doesnt mean everyone else does.

People may not want an AOI or have to spend 2700.00 to get a 17" notebook. Apples options are very limited hardware wise and even more so software wise. Your talking about some users experience that only exists between your ears.

You talk abot the herd, Apple is known for having one of the biggest extremist cult following around. So when you hear sheep look in the mirror because its you making the noise.

APPLE in its market of $1000. plus computers owns a %91 market share
for the 500 dollar dells that end costing 940 after all the extra's like an OS and stuff like that you must be joking because over 5 yrs add 300 or for virus protection

first off IT guys hate apple because you can't screw APPLE clients with $70. an hr fee's when apple's machine rarely breakdown SO f u dude you suck and so does all your IT group
i watched for yrs all the BS moves you guys pulled
while my macs always worked


apples SW is fantastic
we do not crash or lose data
we do not get attacked by bugs or viruses
we enjoy from the moment we buy a mac a ton of free SW that you guys to pay for
we have no BLOATWARE EITHER we buy a mac and in minutes it works
can YOU SAY THE SAME about5 dell/win7 ??

of course dell and hp do make some fine computers
sadly 2 day tech help waits are the norm
apple macs simply work
and why are you on a apple site anyway ??
go enjoy MSFT all you want
we all wish you well
good bye

peace dude

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #277 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

Microsoft posted a quarterly profit of $3.57 billion so I don't understand the point of throwing around Apple numbers. Like you said the numbers mean nothing. Throwing them around really isn't going to get anybody anywhere

well, actually I was answering a post by extremeskater stating that not having any profit would be a bad thing, obviously, and I was just pointing out, for his benefit, that Apple, indeed, does make a profit. in fact, a very nice profit.

But you're right, throwing numbers around can be very misleading and so, for that reason, should only be "taken with a grain of salt".

For instance, I could point out to you that, using the numbers that you supplied and the numbers supplied in Apple's recent filing, that M$, with a customer base 9-10 times larger that Apple, only saw a profit of just over 2 times Apple. Would those numbers mean anything? ...... Maybe not, but when you combine recent M$ behavior, trying to copy Ipod success with Zune, trying to copy Apple retail success, even going so far as buying/stealing/enticing Apple retail employees to switch to M$( they will get switchers one way or another), actually targeting Apple's retail locations by mimicking (I'm so tired of that word copying, aren't you?) Apple locations. I'd have to believe that Steve Ballmer has looked at all these numbers and reached the same conclusion that I have, i.e., that we both prefer Apple's business model.

I don't know .... what do you think?
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #278 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I see more people with Dell computers doing business than your Mac showoff. It's a stereotype just like ArtieMacStrawman.

There are a lot more Dells out there than Macs. That said, I go to several major computer conferences every year and several major science conferences every year (and a couple that intersect) and there are always a *lot* of people visibly doing business on apple laptops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

actually Mac ads have been attacking/lampooning Windows consistently for years now. all while Mac sales have been growing significantly thanks to "switchers." which unarguably proves it works if done well

Not that I don't think the commercials are effective, but that may be overstating things a bit.

Correlation does not equal causation
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
post #279 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It isnt very hard to understand Apple's business model. Many users even on this forum say that Apple is primarily a hardware company and I agree with that statement. Then the question is why are all the ads agains MS which is a software company. Apple does not gernerate that much news for the exception of the Apple crowd. Windows 7 have gained far more media attention and if you asked 80% of computer users what Snow Leopard was they wouldn't have a clue.

I am not the one spouting record breaking profits or premium market other users are, I don't agree Apple has a premium market.

I don't support or not support anyone. We are talking about computers and computers in my eyes are tools we use to get something done. They are not things to fall in love with and get all upset over. Apple users are the only people on earth that get upset if you insult their computer. That doesn't sound very healthy.

I own stock in many companies but Apple users are the only ones that go around calling themselves shareholders even if whey own 10 freaking shares of stock. Its a joke, its cult mentality and its insane.

Extremeskater ... You bring up a couple of points that I think that I might be able to "shed some light on" due to my experience with Apple. (not that that always counts for anything)

First, you're correct in identifying M$ as primarily a software company and Apple as primarily a hardware company. The thing is ... Apple uses a completely different OS and one that is unique to Apple's hardware, so, in that light, it makes perfect sense for Apple to aggressively compare, as favorably as they can, their OS to M$ OS. (if people buy their software, they automatically, in most cases, buy their hardware.

Secondly ... and I'll have to use all of your quote here ....."We are talking about computers and computers in my eyes are tools we use to get something done. They are not things to fall in love with and get all upset over. Apple users are the only people on earth that get upset if you insult their computer. That doesn't sound very healthy."

I can tell you I used to feel exactly like that when my daughter bought her (our) first computer ... I didn't think we even "needed" one. She asked me which one she should buy and the only advice I had for her was ... if you're using windows at work, you should use Mac at home because, in my experience, this "first" computer will be like my "first" guitar ... you will outgrow it quickly and when it's time to buy you're second "real" computer..... you will have more experience with both systems and will be more able to make "the right choice" .... That's why we both own Macs today.

The funny thing is, after learning and using a Mac, I was completely in awe of what we both could accomplish and invariably every new discovery led me to something else I could fall in love with. I do things today I never thought I would be interested in, or capable of doing. Mac has awakened a dormant creative side of me that was put to sleep by the pressures of responsibilities, i.e. earning a living, raising a family, etc. etc.( I've always been jealous of those that found a way to do both).

To make a long story short (oops, too late) ... Am I passionate about computers? ... In my case, definitely yes. It has given color to my life and to a lot of other people I know. Is it the most important thing in my life? ... Hell no. I understand if you only consider computers "are tools we use to get something done" .... It seems we both "get things done". I guess the only difference is, "what things do we get done?" ... My wish for you, and everyone else actually, is that you discover, for yourself, something you might enjoy on your computer as much as I enjoy the stuff I do on mine.

Last point: I would never go into your "house" and "trash" talk it ... your house is your house and it is your choice to live there or not. I might not agree, but it is your choice, none the less.

But if anyone comes into my house, in this case, appleinsider, and trashes my choice, then you should expect a passionate and spirited exchange of opinions. I'm out, my football game (BC Lions) is starting. Good luck and happy computing.
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #280 of 321
I get So tired of people saying Apple computers are over priced.
So let's Try this:

Buy an iMac for 1699.00 go to the egg and buy an oem copy of windows 7 for $99

Partition that 1TB hard drive into two 500G drives.

Install a Fresh copy of Windows 7 on 2nd 500G partition.

Now Take 1699 + 99 = 1798.00 Now DIVIDE by 2

NOW, you have a iMac with a 27" screen on killer hardware.

AND, you have a Killer new Windows 7 PC on killer hardware.

Now, back to the math problem. You now have TWO computers in one machine.

You paid 899.00 for the mac, and 899.00 for the PC. = 1798.

There's your 899.00 price point for a mac.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)