or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)

Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos) - Page 8

post #281 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

... One thing I can promise you there isn't anything anyone can say to me on the net that can get me all amped up the way you appear to be, you're defensive not me.

Quote:

... Apple users are the only people on earth that get upset if you insult their computer. That doesn't sound very healthy.

... Its a joke, its cult mentality and its insane.

Not all amped up, eh?

With comments like these and the frantic pace at which you've been posting the last couple of days, you seem plenty amped up to me. Oh, and, it seems pretty obvious that plenty of Windows users do get plenty upset if you insult their computer, otherwise, why all the uproar about the Apple ads?
post #282 of 321
Quote:

Many users even on this forum say that Apple is primarily a hardware company and I agree with that statement. Then the question is why are all the ads agains MS which is a software company.

Because Apple is actually, primarily, a software company. They just happen to use hardware sales to subsidize their software development.
post #283 of 321
Quote:

If Windows users get upset because people insult their computer then they need to get their heads checked alot. Like I said a computer is a tool its used to get work done (and play games of course) its not something to fall in love with.

People seem to fall in love with buildings, cars, and many other engineering marvels. Better to love useful (read:well engineered) art than love art for art’s sake, IMO.

Quote:
Also the new white Macbook for some reason was hard to turn down. Just something about the new look was cool. However for only 200.00 more you really have to go with the Pro not sure why Apple made the pricing so close.

The price is actually $250 different if you upgrade the 13” MBP from the default 160GB to the 250GB HDD found in the new MB. Still, I’d go for the 13” MBP.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #284 of 321
Quote:

The one thing I am finding hard to understand is why Apple felt the need need to eliminate something simple like the SD slot and IR. I could live without the backlit keyboard but I find a build in SD fairly handy.

SD card slot was never on the MB. What is missing, HW wise over the last model, is the IR port, battery status indicator, stand alone mic jack (integrated with headphone jack now), and FW400, which is a dead port interface to Apple that has been a long time coming.

The iMac just got the SD card slot for the first time and the last 13 and 15” MBPs got them on their last update about 6 months ago. I don’t think any other Macs have them at this point.
post #285 of 321
Quote:

I still wish they would get rid of the glass which is really the only thing from keeping me from getting another one. I had a gen 1 AL iMac and I keep having problems with dust getting between the glass and lcd. Not sure if that problem has been resolved but I don't feel like taking the chance again. .

The glass is only held on by magnets and it’s the first thing to take off if you repair/upgrade the internals. A couple of suction cups, which iFixit sells, and you not only have access to the space between the LCD panel and the glass, but can also a non-glossy display, if that is your preference. Of course, that is with the caveat of an unsightly border where the glass use to be.
post #286 of 321
Quote:

It isnt very hard to understand Apple's business model. Many users even on this forum say that Apple is primarily a hardware company and I agree with that statement. Then the question is why are all the ads agains MS which is a software company. Apple does not gernerate that much news for the exception of the Apple crowd. Windows 7 have gained far more media attention and if you asked 80% of computer users what Snow Leopard was they wouldn't have a clue.

I am not the one spouting record breaking profits or premium market other users are, I don't agree Apple has a premium market.

I don't support or not support anyone. We are talking about computers and computers in my eyes are tools we use to get something done. They are not things to fall in love with and get all upset over. Apple users are the only people on earth that get upset if you insult their computer. That doesn't sound very healthy.

I own stock in many companies but Apple users are the only ones that go around calling themselves shareholders even if whey own 10 freaking shares of stock. Its a joke, its cult mentality and its insane.

This were I can not respect your opinion, since I provided links concerning the premium market and you ever have not taken the time to read them or just ignore the information provided to you.
You are the one srouting '95 %marketshare' every time and we all agree that is true, but when I show you it means crap at moment, when related to profits etc. It falls on deaf ears.

As for the shares comments, I own lot more than 500 shares, since I got mine 10 years ago at $16 per share.
post #287 of 321
Edit. Sorry the typing looks bad. Click turned off on iPhone to reduce lag in forums.

Which us why, if the msft courier is true this will mark the first time msft has built a computer. 100% control. The msft ads caused apple to reduce prices and quad the iMac.

What fo you think will happen when people stat realizing windows 7 is great compared to the 65% of XP users or if courier is true or both are true. Apple will be seen as a company lying.

Now imagine word getting out that in every retail store leopard was not updated for almost 7 months after it's release on the back of house computer or that they run virus software?

And I use macs 99.9% of the time.

Apple had better be careful. Beta testing win 7 on od hardware ran fast. Drivers that took more than a year to come out for vista and my high end FireWire audio interface worked out of the box. And sp2 for vista, fixed most of theIt problems.

I've been right 100% of the time, all the way back to when users were pro users and not iPhone users and said they would one day use intel as ppc was to slow and old. Yet everyone said no way. And we still have no flash on iPhone meaning no iTunes sales, still no midrange machine, headless and still no dvr on apple tv again, iTunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Here, I'll try to dumb it down for you.

If I build an OS that is designed to go only on machines that I make and you design an OS to go on every freakin' machine in the world, that guarantees two things.

1. you will outsell me every time ... more machines = more OS sales.

2. I will design a better OS, every time ... because I design "both gloves for the same set of hands".... hardware & software, whereas you have to dumb down your OS to run on every POS out there. Do you finally "get it"?
post #288 of 321
As a consumer, you don't need anti-virus. As an enterprise, especially a highly visible likely target of attack - Apple would be stupid not to run AV. Windows is just so difficult to protect that it leaves the user open to attack. The difference is like the difference between armoring a battleship that is likely to get heavy shelling and having to patch up an archaic, leaky, patchwork canoe that has ridiculously bloated up to the size of an oceanliner.

Microsoft was so big so early that they couldn't risk alienating everyone by starting over a la Apple with OS X. Likewise, they don't control the hardware, so a more or less elegant bridge solution such as Apple's 'Classic' was also not possible.

Windows 7 is likely a good step in the right direction, and even Vista on my BC partition has not been God-awful. Nonetheless, I still get too many problems (printer not recognized after previously being recognized, etc.). Vista works for running FO3 or Aion, but I'd be terrified to trust Windows with my important daily life stuff. Windows just can't solve the problems it has - how could it? It has to deal with infinite hardware and software combinations and it was never meant to be a network OS.

For me, it's just not worth the time for me to have to constantly get Windows to do what it's supposed to do or to get it to play nice with software or peripherals. I don't want to be an amateur IT Tech and it's worth it to me to pay a little extra to abdicate the maintenance buy-in that Windows requires. The trade off is that I pay a higher price for hardware and I can only buy what Apple decides to build (i.e. no Mac netbook). That's worth the trade to me, but I can certainly see why it isn't that way for everyone.

As for the ads, they basically say 'come over to Mac, it's easier here.' Windows 7 can't change that. Through negligence, Apple could bece as problematic as Windows, but Windows can NEVER achieve the elegance and transparency and 'it-just-works-ness' that Mac can. Fundamentally different business models lead inexorably to different ends.
post #289 of 321
[QUOTE=I've been right 100% of the time, all the way back to when users were pro users and not iPhone users and said they would one day use intel as ppc was to slow and old. Yet everyone said no way. And we still have no flash on iPhone meaning no iTunes sales, still no midrange machine, headless and still no dvr on apple tv again, iTunes[/QUOTE]

..no one is right 100% of the time, that's why we are human
post #290 of 321
Quote:

We weren't going by revenue we were looking at revenue to profit ratio. Revenue means very little if you don't have any profit. Go back and look at the post.

You know what worries me the most? if win turns out to sell awesome
and is leaps above XP, it is and every indicator points it is going to do well, Apple comes across as liars. Not to mention if it eve got out macs retail stores didn't update to leopard for almost 7 months after the release for their time clock, daily d, ordering computer combined with they run virus software, I think thst would be huge. Now add in The Courier is Msfts first ever computer that they control and this spells trouble.

Theses adverts look desperate and yet because of microsifts ads, we now gave quad iMacs and reduced prices. We all win.
Peace.
post #291 of 321
Quote:

Apple is known for having one of the biggest extremist cult following around. So when you hear sheep look in the mirror because its you making the noise.

actually not true. No more mac shows plus yourntalking about the G5 days and
pros
Apple
is
now
a
consumer
company.
That have left pro users, the ones that backed them up pre iPhone, are no longer the biggest goal for Apple. Ask any pro.

Peace
post #292 of 321
What RBI talking about???????
I worked for 318 in Santa Monica ca. Google them. All mac clients mostly we billed as high as $200 an hour for workstation to Xsan to server or blackberry serversv.

That is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

APPLE in its market of $1000. plus computers owns a %91 market share
for the 500 dollar dells that end costing 940 after all the extra's like an OS and stuff like that you must be joking because over 5 yrs add 300 or for virus protection

first off IT guys hate apple because you can't screw APPLE clients with $70. an hr fee's when apple's machine rarely breakdown SO f u dude you suck and so does all your IT group
i watched for yrs all the BS moves you guys pulled
while my macs always worked

apples SW is fantastic
we do not crash or lose data
we do not get attacked by bugs or viruses
we enjoy from the moment we buy a mac a ton of free SW that you guys to pay for
we have no BLOATWARE EITHER we buy a mac and in minutes it works
can YOU SAY THE SAME about5 dell/win7 ??

of course dell and hp do make some fine computers
sadly 2 day tech help waits are the norm
apple macs simply work
and why are you on a apple site anyway ??
go enjoy MSFT all you want
we all wish you well
good bye

peace dude

post #293 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

and is leaps above XP, it is and every indicator points it is going to do well, Apple comes across as liars.

Win7 is doing great. Its going to be MS best selling and fastest selling OS. That much is certain. I see no ad where Apple has lied. The closest one is PC saying that WIn7 doesnt have any of the issues that my previous OS had with Mac stating that hes heard that before. The other two are about giving Mac a try if you are going to have to move your stuff anyway.

Quote:
Theses adverts look desperate and yet because of microsifts ads, we now gave quad iMacs and reduced prices. We all win.

What?! How in the world did MS Laptop Hunter ads get quad-cores in the iMac? That makes no sense on so many levels. Quad is coming to notebook-class CPUs, but the real beauty of the new iMacs is the desktop-class CPUs. Id say that the change to a 16:9 ratio has, in itself, allowed for higher TDP chips in these new machines. The extra horizontal space allows for power hungry components to be separated more easily. If anything company forced Apple to release more desktop-grade components in their iMac line Id say its Dell, whose XPS One has been using desktop grade CPUs in the 24 model for some time now. Its certainly not because of MS.
post #294 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Win7 is doing great. Its going to be MS best selling and fastest selling OS. That much is certain. I see no ad where Apple has lied. The closest one is PC saying that WIn7 doesnt have any of the issues that my previous OS had with Mac stating that hes heard that before. The other two are about giving Mac a try if you are going to have to move your stuff anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

and is leaps above XP, it is and every indicator points it is going to do well, Apple comes across as liars. Not to mention if it eve got out macs retail stores didn't update to leopard for almost 7 months after the release for their time clock, daily d, ordering computer combined with they run virus software, I think thst would be huge. Now add in The Courier is Msfts first ever computer that they control and this spells trouble....

Windows 7 will be the best Windows Microsoft has ever made. But remember, this is not so fantastic because in perspective Vista was rubbish and XP, 2000, etc. of course still had their issues.

In any case Windows 7 still has problems of drivers, defragmentation, random crashes, and all sorts of what I would call mostly "legacy" baggage.

I pointed out already a few times my random Windows Explorer crashes and difficulty finding drivers for a current-selling Linksys card. Aero is pretty but is likely to cause reduced framerates in games for some reason.

I think looking at 2010 to 2015 the Mac could inch towards 15% in the US but XP, Windows7 and Windows8 will be the 85% of business and home installed base.

Like someone pointed out the dark horse is Google, who could gain traction with their own free offline+online operating system sometime in 2010 to 2012, which could chew off 10% to 20% of Microsoft's market share. But this would be for much cheaper netbooks, basic cheap laptops and desktops, not businesses. Businesses as a whole will continue to chug along, not willing to take big "risks" moving away from Windows because the full global economic surge won't be singing again until 2012.

Again, this is all assuming the polar thingys don't shift or what not and Google doesn't buy out Dell LOL and other such "black swan" incidents.

Quote:

...Quad is coming to notebook-class CPUs, but the real beauty of the new iMacs is the desktop-class CPUs. Id say that the change to a 16:9 ratio has, in itself, allowed for higher TDP chips in these new machines. The extra horizontal space allows for power hungry components to be separated more easily. If anything company forced Apple to release more desktop-grade components in their iMac line Id say its Dell, whose XPS One has been using desktop grade CPUs in the 24 model for some time now. Its certainly not because of MS.

It's not the 16:9, IMO, it is the 27". Once you move beyond 25" you've got a large surface area and it's thinner so airflow and heat transfer starts to look good. The iMac design more or less makes the whole computer something like one big heatsink-fan thing. Also Lynnfield (Core i5 in iMac and so on), while 95W (higher than say 65W)... has integrated memory controller and PCI Express controller on-die AFAIK... So you save on some northbridge chips and heat.

Also, all Aluminium backing means high conductivity of heat compared to plastic. I'm sure the back of the 21.5" and 27" iMacs will be warm to the touch like the 24" LED Cinema Display. Of course you still need fans in the iMacs but the large Aluminium backing definitely helps in some way.
post #295 of 321
Quote:

If Windows users get upset because people insult their computer then they need to get their heads checked alot. Like I said a computer is a tool its used to get work done (and play games of course) its not something to fall in love with.

Yes, you keep saying there's nothing to get emotional about, yet, you're all worked up. You keep saying people shouldn't be upset when their computer of choice is insulted (Although, first it was only Apple owners, now it's, "If Windows users get upset," which is it?) but you seem to be the one primarily tossing insults around.

addabox had your number back in 2006, when you started in with the same nonsense you are spouting today. I still haven't ruled out the possibility that you are a simply a troll, but, either way, you have some serious issues you need to resolve, and they aren't about computers.
post #296 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Windows is just so difficult to protect that it leaves the user open to attack.

What a load of bull. You can lock down Windows to an almost arbitrary level for over a decade since NT has been designed with security in mind. It's not that Windows is technically unsafe, but Microsoft management was daft enough to circumvent pretty much all security measures Windows has by making the braind-dead decision to make users have administrator rights by default. No amount of good security architecture will help you if you leave the alarm off and the door open by default. Actually, a home user is far more vulnerable than a well-configured and centrally administered Windows client. Microsoft is fighting mostly now against the inertia of its users it helped to cultivate in over a decade. UAC is a sound idea but people scream bloody murder because they actually prefer the convenience an insecure Windows brought.
post #297 of 321
Quote:

This coming from an Apple user. The irony is killing me. News flash: 90+ percent of computers run Windows and I pretty much would bet one of my kidney that a large amount of them doesn't give a damn what other people think about their computer. Forum discussions sometimes seem to distort the view on the outside world.
post #298 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In any case Windows 7 still has problems of drivers

Not Microsoft's fault. Plus, it mostly affects legacy hardware. With Windows there's at least a very good chance that some kind of driver will be released (at least for the 32 bit version). Mac users are limited to the hardware which is supported out of the box or if the retailers actually bother writing a driver. It's still a strict sub set of all available hardware.

Quote:
, defragmentation,

You do now that Windows defragments disks automatically and you do know that OS X does the same, don't you?

Quote:
random crashes,

At least Windows has a graphic stack which will recover gracefully without taking the OS down. And I'd like to hear about those random crashes because sure as hell the only places I read about them are Apple outlets.

Quote:
and all sorts of what I would call mostly "legacy" baggage.

What sort of baggage? And in what way does it affect the user in a negative way?

Quote:
Aero is pretty but is likely to cause reduced framerates in games for some reason.

Aero will turn itself off if a 3D game starts. Seriously, have you ever actually used VIsta or 7?
post #299 of 321
.... ....

Quote:

it isnt very hard to understand apple's business model. Many users even on this forum say that apple is primarily a hardware company and i agree with that statement. Then the question is why are all the ads agains ms which is a software company.

ms' software runs on pcs. Macs run os x.

Windows + pcs = software and hardware
os x + macs = software and hardware

ms, a software company, was advertising hardware in the laptop hunters ads. There was barely any mention of vista. Possibly because when it's vista, ms doesn't care about the os. When it's windows 7, ms suddenly cares about the os.

apple does not gernerate that much news for the exception of the apple crowd.

except that they are the #1 new-generator in tech. On wall street. Everywhere. Apple sneezes, the rest of the indsutry rushes for the kleenex. Apple is the single biggest tech story of the decade, and the single most important company in tech, bar none. When it comes to consumer electronics, the big newsmaker has been apple. Apple doesn't need the apple crowd to generate news. It does it all by itself.

windows 7 have gained far more media attention and if you asked 80% of computer users what snow leopard was they wouldn't have a clue.

but they do have a clue about macs. Same idea.

i am not the one spouting record breaking profits or premium market other users are, i don't agree apple has a premium market.

you don't need to agree that there's a premium market. The industry, however, does. And i'll think i'll take their word over yours. You're perfectly within your rights to disagree that the world is round, too.

i don't support or not support anyone.

except for some reason you feel the need to camp an apple fansite (whereas you have little or nothing to do with macs), spending an ungodly amount of time trying to convince us we're wrong/misguided. And you probably know you won't get anywhere, yet you persist.

we are talking about computers and computers in my eyes are tools we use to get something done. They are not things to fall in love with and get all upset over. Apple users are the only people on earth that get upset if you insult their computer. That doesn't sound very healthy.

if they're just tools and not worth getting worked up over, why are you here?

i own stock in many companies but apple users are the only ones that go around calling themselves shareholders even if whey own 10 freaking shares of stock. Its a joke, its cult mentality and its insane.

if they own one share, they're a shareholder. They have a stake in the company.

Ms and the rest of the also-rans that are scraping the bottom only *wish* they had such an enthusiastic following. But really, outside of apple, what the hell is there to get excited about? A version of windows that sucks less afer 8 long years of ms shafting its users? Office? Exchange? A lousy mobile strategy of 15 years that's been obliterated by apple in 2? Maybe ms' mice are exciting? A new antivirus, maybe (omg now with fewer false positives, yes!!) ?

What exactly does ms do in the consumer sector that inspires any kind of excitement or admiration? Especially in light of being embarrassed on a regular basis by a smaller, leaner, meaner competitor with a fraction of its resources and a fraction of its workforce? Where's th iphone from ms? Where's the ipod from ms? Where ilife from ms? Where's the beautifully-designed hardware from ms? Where are the interfaces that transition so smoothly from standard os to mobile os? Where is the beautifully simplified, tight ecosystem from ms?

All we have from ms are copies, late copies, and failures. And a game console that's been a loss-leader for most of its life, with some untapped potential. And for a company that specializes in software, their core software has done nothing but suck outside of the corporate sector.

The xbox. That's cool. Now all ms needs to do is to release an xbox phone, xbox media player, xbox-branded notebooks and run windows right on the xbox. That might be exciting.

post #300 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

What a load of bull. You can lock down Windows to an almost arbitrary level for over a decade since NT has been designed with security in mind. It's not that Windows is technically unsafe, but Microsoft management was daft enough to circumvent pretty much all security measures Windows has by making the braind-dead decision to make users have administrator rights by default. No amount of good security architecture will help you if you leave the alarm off and the door open by default. Actually, a home user is far more vulnerable than a well-configured and centrally administered Windows client. Microsoft is fighting mostly now against the inertia of its users it helped to cultivate in over a decade. UAC is a sound idea but people scream bloody murder because they actually prefer the convenience an insecure Windows brought.

But that pretty much proves the point! With Windows, it's convenience or security - but not both. It doesn't help that every new iteration of the OS moves and/or changes where and what the settings are. With Mac, there's no choice between convenience and security. You have BOTH!
post #301 of 321

Wikipedia
Quote:
In mainstream economics, the concept of a market is any structure that allows buyers and sellers to exchange any type of goods, services and information. The exchange of goods or services for money is a transaction. Market participants consist of all the buyers and sellers of a good who influence its price.

Who else's on premium market with Apple

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #302 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Wikipedia

Who else's on premium market with Apple

Apple occupies the Premium market in consumer tech. You can certainly winder whether the same does or doesn't apply to Panasonic or Sony's line of TVs, for instance. But apart from specs, there isn't any significant differentiaton between them. Panasnoic vs. Sony. HP vs. Lenovo. If Apple releases an HD TV and treats it with the same care and attention it does its other products, you'd have a Premium market for HD TVs, occupied by a single player.

Apple is unique. A totally differentiated entity that carved out its own market space, and which the also-rans are currently aspiring to. Except many have realized they can't, for whatever reason, or just won't, and are in a race for the bottom, hanging onto the volume sales paradigm. Part of Apple's unique positon stems from its business model, which is characteristic of only Apple, and no one else - not HP, not Lenovo, and not the rest of the herd.

You've got the wider market, for example. Apple is a player in this. And so is Lenovo. But each occupy different segments of the market. These segments are defined by the interplay between acknowledged quality + price (which defines to a signficant degree the target market.) Apple doesn't aim its Macs at the $400 Dell crowd. Certain income brackets will be locked out.

These different market segments are specific and differentiated. For one thing, they can also be distinguished as a function of sales and distribution. The low end, for instance, makes moeny from volume sales. High volume low margin. The Premium end makes money from low volume, high margin sales.

Understanding market divisions is important. For instance, not all of the same divisions exist or are as well-differntiated in other markets.

"Preimum" vs "Low end" vs. "mid end", and whatever other segments have been acknolwedged are largey a function of consumer preferece. Based on this, the industry either acknolwdges the existence of a Premium market and its main player(s), or it doesn't.
post #303 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nondual View Post

But that pretty much proves the point! With Windows, it's convenience or security - but not both. It doesn't help that every new iteration of the OS moves and/or changes where and what the settings are. With Mac, there's no choice between convenience and security. You have BOTH!

What? The standard user account on OS X is some kind of hybrid between root and a user which is allowed to install applications into globally accessible places like /Applications and freely make changes to system settings. Things also a malicious application can do should it ever manage to run with user rights. Vista was far more paranoid in this regard and strictly asked for confirmation for everything which could potentially affect the system. It's regrettable that Microsoft toned down UAC for 7 due to pressure by customers but at least it's really only setting the slider back to the highest level to get back Vista's security.

I also don't get all the complaints about UAC. It usually stays out of the way unless you need to access system resources (folders for installation/copying, system settings, etc.). OS X will also ask for confirmation if an application tries to install things outside the user or application directory.
post #304 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Understanding market divisions is important. For instance, not all of the same divisions exist or are as well-differntiated in other markets.

And how! The problem is the classification criterium is a bit unclear.
Same parts, same specs, no any special care or attention, same errors in form-factors and in software...
True, there're strategies being inherited from 1970's and unjustified prices, though.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #305 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's not the 16:9, IMO, it is the 27". Once you move beyond 25" you've got a large surface area and it's thinner so airflow and heat transfer starts to look good. The iMac design more or less makes the whole computer something like one big heatsink-fan thing. Also Lynnfield (Core i5 in iMac and so on), while 95W (higher than say 65W)... has integrated memory controller and PCI Express controller on-die AFAIK... So you save on some northbridge chips and heat.

Also, all Aluminium backing means high conductivity of heat compared to plastic. I'm sure the back of the 21.5" and 27" iMacs will be warm to the touch like the 24" LED Cinema Display. Of course you still need fans in the iMacs but the large Aluminium backing definitely helps in some way.

The 21.5” model also has more desktop-class components. The 27” teardown shows a lot of extra room for engineers. It’s not the overly cramped space of the previous iMacs. I really do think that the wider base and yet shorter height over the smaller 20” iMac is a huge initial boost for cooling, but I agree that an aluminium backing is also good for dissipating heat.
post #306 of 321
just to be fair I knew the comparison with Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard would be very close. See Prizefight on cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-19589_7...CarouselArea.0
post #307 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

just to be fair I knew the comparison with Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard would be very close. See Prizefight on cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-19589_7...CarouselArea.0

Quite telling (not just from this "prizefight") that a simple evolution of OS X is still better than MS' best efforts over an 8-year period. Billions of dollars and years of effort MS still can't beat Macs + OS X. Even if MS equals OS X in every way, achieving a straight tie, it's still rather inexcusable that a company with a fraction of MS' resources and workforce can so effortlessly (while looking slick and economically bulletproof) make MS look like all their R&D money was burned up on coffee runs and new chairs.
post #308 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

On a branded PC, I wouldn't try upgrading anything beyond RAM and HDD.

Replacing the motherboard is usually a complete non-starter. PC manufacturers tend to fuse all of the motherboard connectors (Power On, HDD LED, etc.) into one cable and the cable isn't usually compatible with other motherboards.

I own a PC for gaming. It's my only option since even Mac Pros don't have the best graphic card options, despite costing triple the price of the PC. However, most branded PCs are about as much use as a Mac for gaming. The only sensible option is to build your own.

What I love, which I've mentioned b4, you can go to osx86. Org and get a script similar what pystar is offering, for the great price of FREE. Then you can builds hackntosh with 8 cores for under $900 and run circles around the mac pro. Why? Since it's a PC you can use the bios and overclock it to 4.1-4.6 and then when you boot to mac osx, it will blaze and run circles around the mac pro. Apple almost had it with the new quad but pros need express slots and three hard drives, os. Samples and where you record to and whe you can fo this with FireWire, you're better off getting an older 15" with express slot for esata card as esata is much faster than fw 800 which on my experience, has given me ovverflow errors so the hack is a better option then the iMac not including you can use better graphics for gamers and video users and don't get good grphics. Gamers alone make more revenue then video and music sales alone but apple turns a blind eye as they only care about iPhone sales and iLife proof by the one to one trainers only know iLife. In the past, pro care was part of one to one and the trainers knew Shake final cut, motion and more instead of just mom and pop hiw do I add an attachment email. LOL

also,ask said before, if users end up lovi g window 7, apple is going to come accross as the Gillian and beliieve it, 60% of corprate if not higher using XP.

Peace.
post #309 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quite telling (not just from this "prizefight") that a simple evolution of OS X is still better than MS' best efforts over an 8-year period. Billions of dollars and years of effort MS still can't beat Macs + OS X. Even if MS equals OS X in every way, achieving a straight tie, it's still rather inexcusable that a company with a fraction of MS' resources and workforce can so effortlessly (while looking slick and economically bulletproof) make MS look like all their R&D money was burned up on coffee runs and new chairs.

In MS’ defense, their business model commands support for legacy code and antiquated HW. They also have to spend a lot more on R&D to make sure their OS works with a much larger HW base. Their model doesn’t fit my needs as a consumer, and looking at Longhorn they surely have wasted a great deal of money, but Windows 7 (aka, Vista 2.0) is a very solid OS from the Redmond-based Zune-maker.
post #310 of 321
Quote:

In MS defense, their business model commands support for legacy code and antiquated HW. They also have to spend a lot more on R&D to make sure their OS works with a much larger HW base. Their model doesnt fit my needs as a consumer, and looking at Longhorn they surely have wasted a great deal of money, but Windows 7 (aka, Vista 2.0) is a very solid OS from the Redmond-based Zune-maker.

This Toronto-based AppleInsider member thinks your defense is sensible.
post #311 of 321
Quote:

In MS defense, their business model commands support for legacy code and antiquated HW. They also have to spend a lot more on R&D to make sure their OS works with a much larger HW base. Their model doesnt fit my needs as a consumer, and looking at Longhorn they surely have wasted a great deal of money, but Windows 7 (aka, Vista 2.0) is a very solid OS from the Redmond-based Zune-maker.

Yes, legacy support, and the Windows code base, is like an anchor around Microsoft's neck, unfortunately for them, as is the hardware support issue. Apple's strategy of dropping legacy support for older hardware and technologies (Carbon is likely next) is a necessary pain that the Mac user community has to go through, and fortunately they are in a position to be able to do it.
post #312 of 321
Quote:

and looking at Longhorn they surely have wasted a great deal of money, but Windows 7 (aka, Vista 2.0) is a very solid OS from the Redmond-based Zune-maker.

Actually, even Microsoft admitted publicly that the Longhorn development got out of hand. They changed both the development model as well as the management for Windows 7. Especially for the latter people with proven track records were placed in key positions and Microsoft was far more careful revealing scope and features of 7 until it was absolutely sure that they would land. Looking at 7 now it seems that their internal restructuring paid off. And people here can stop calling 7 "Vista 2.0" like OS X isn't based on half a dozen iterations.
post #313 of 321
Quote:

And people here can stop calling 7 "Vista 2.0" like OS X isn't based on half a dozen iterations.

Why is that? Should Vista SP1 be 2.0 and Win7 be Vista 3.0, since Vista SP2 was so close to the Win7 RC release.

Seriously, it’s very similar to Vista in many core aspects. In many ways SL over Leopard is much bigger change than Win7 over Vista. You can’t tell by looking at the desktop, but the core changes in SL are worlds apart from Leopard. Win7 is mostly a rebranding of Vista. When your product gets a bad rep it’s not easy to fix, sometimes dropping the name is the only way to go, despite Vista being solid since SP1. The damage was done.They made some good changes in the UI, but they had to alter the veneer enough to separate from Vista.

BTW, here is a fairly competent listing of features removed from Win7 and from Vista. The Vista list is huge.

Features removed from Windows 7
Features removed from Windows Vista
post #314 of 321
Quote:

And people here can stop calling 7 "Vista 2.0" like OS X isn't based on half a dozen iterations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Microsoft referred to 7 as "a better Vista" (or something very similar to that)? And they are, by all accounts, very similar internally, as well as being similar visually. So why wouldn't it be thought of as "Vista 2.0"?

We call the current Mac OS X version 10.6.
post #315 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Microsoft referred to 7 as "a better Vista" (or something very similar to that)? And they are, by all accounts, very similar internally, as well as being similar visually. So why wouldn't it be thought of as "Vista 2.0"?

We call the current Mac OS X version 10.6.

Ballmer said "Wndows 7 is Windows Vista, with cleanup in user interface [and] improvements in performance."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._a_lot_better_
post #316 of 321
Quote:

Actually, even Microsoft admitted publicly that the Longhorn development got out of hand. They changed both the development model as well as the management for Windows 7. Especially for the latter people with proven track records were placed in key positions and Microsoft was far more careful revealing scope and features of 7 until it was absolutely sure that they would land. Looking at 7 now it seems that their internal restructuring paid off. And people here can stop calling 7 "Vista 2.0" like OS X isn't based on half a dozen iterations.

Well, there's a reason Apple calls 10.6, "Snow Leopard"...

I really haven't seen much, if any difference with it over Leopard, on my older Mini, but that's because many of the big features of SL, requires a new-ish Mac, and like with my PC's, I have no desire to get any new computers, because the SW doesn't even take advantage of what I have now.

Having said, that, 7 is what Vista should've been. I like it a lot, put 7 Pro 64-bit on my laptop, and 7 Pro 32-bit on my netbook. I've even typing this post on Chrome, XP Mode, and it all runs pretty damn well, in fact I like 7 so much, I think I've only turned my Mini on once in the past couple of weeks. (I got 7 early)

If I do get a new Mac in the next year or so, likely a MBP, and if the SW actually comes out that really takes advantage of SL, I might be more impressed with it, but then again, there will also be more SW that will take advantage of DX11 and .NET 4.0, that it could all just be a wash.

For me, the more I use either Windows or OSX, the less advantages/disadvantages I see with either of them, other than choice of SW.
post #317 of 321
Quote:

What? The standard user account on OS X is some kind of hybrid between root and a user which is allowed to install applications into globally accessible places like /Applications and freely make changes to system settings. Things also a malicious application can do should it ever manage to run with user rights. Vista was far more paranoid in this regard and strictly asked for confirmation for everything which could potentially affect the system. It's regrettable that Microsoft toned down UAC for 7 due to pressure by customers but at least it's really only setting the slider back to the highest level to get back Vista's security.

I also don't get all the complaints about UAC. It usually stays out of the way unless you need to access system resources (folders for installation/copying, system settings, etc.). OS X will also ask for confirmation if an application tries to install things outside the user or application directory.

And that's the thing. In order to install, an app requires user password or the active participation of the user. There are no self-installing .exe files as in Windows. Vista did fix a lot this, but few are using Vista. I haven't seen how Win 7 handles this. I can only hope it is better locked down than XP. The question is: can Win 7 do it without Vista's incessant and seemingly indiscriminate nag windows?

In my experience, any app that deals with settings HAS to ask for an admin PW, at least in Leopard. I'm not sure about SL because I haven't installed it yet. Also, any app downloaded from the net brings up a nag window on first run (so apps don't run without user participation the first time). This occurs even for App updates (or PW is required). After the first nag, OS X leaves you alone. In Vista, every time I run Boot Camp to change the boot disk, Vista continues to nag.
post #318 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Well, there's a reason Apple calls 10.6, "Snow Leopard"...

Yeah, they were running out of cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I really haven't seen much, if any difference with it over Leopard, on my older Mini, but that's because many of the big features of SL, requires a new-ish Mac

Actually, it's because most of the "big features" of SL are under the hood and not visible to the user, but potentially much more game changing than anything in or coming to 7.
post #319 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, it's because most of the "big features" of SL are under the hood and not visible to the user, but potentially much more game changing than anything in or coming to 7.

Yeah, someday we might not even have to hold down the 6 and the 4 to run in 64bit!!!!!! \
post #320 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

Yeah, someday we might not even have to hold down the 6 and the 4 to run in 64bit!!!!!! \

You only need to hold down the 6 and 4 to boot into the 64-bit KERNEL of the consumer versions of SL. This is done to ensure driver compatibility, but if you want 64-bit you can do so WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY A SEPARATE OS AND COMPLETE A SEPARATE INSTALL OF THE OS

64-bit and 32-bit apps will run natively next to each other regardless of what kernel you are using. You can also have more than 4GB RAM for an app in a 64-bit app while running a 32-bit kernel so can be sure any antiquated or obscure 3rd-party peripheral works without question. This is by far better method than other OSes.

If you need to make 64-bit permanent, then do so.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)