or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)

Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos) - Page 3

post #81 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Tight integration of what hardware? There are, like, 5 different hardware options for Macs. And some of them are prone to a lot of problems, like ATI 4850 in some last gen iMacs, or superdrives in Macbooks.

Who cares about boot time? My computer runs 24/7, more or less. With 8GB of RAM, most of my common applications are cached and will start in few seconds. And with Quad Core CPU, batch editing holiday photos in Lightroom is real fun.

But if your fun is rebooting computer and opening/closing apps, then, well...

Funny you should say that because Windows users are commonly referred to as "reboot monkeys". I don't know how much you know about OSes, software and development, but I think even you might have noticed that PC of yours getting slower within 6 months of regular use, because of registry pollution, applications (even after uninstall leaving stuff around), disk fragmentation, rogue applications (even from Microsoft themselves) messing with your system and behaving like they own your computer rather than you etc.

This is all part of user experience, not just OS installation and initial benchmark. Any UNIX based OS is much much more resilient to user actually using it, and none of them is more polished than OS X.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #82 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

Can you please explain to me, with this slew of terrible releases why Windows holds a 95% market share

88.9%. MS share has nosedived over the past five years. The entire company has been in a steady downward slide.

1) universal licensing
2) ignorance
3) inertia

The Three Pillars of Microsoft.
post #83 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

No, no... they just think people who don't want to build their own PCs are idiots.

Thing is, it's not building. It's assembling a few parts together. It's easy to 'assemble' a PC these days because the parts are so few. It's not like it's a house or car. It takes 10-15 minutes. I recently bought an Ikea TV stand for my flat screen here in Japan. The thing came with glue, wooden bolts [I forget the name of those things] and screws, alan key and I needed my own rubber frikkin' hammer. It took THREE HOURS to assemble. Ikea shit is a lot more troublesome to assemble than a PC.

Why do people always talk about Windows market share anyway when talking about Mac vs. PC? It doesn't mean anything other than there are a lot of people who won't pay more than $500 for a computer and those same people don't mind installing other crap to protect their PCs. Not to mention that market share was largely created by Asia years ago. That's like 30% of the world's population. Back in the day Macs didn't even exist in Asia so that pro-rated share means jack. Like I said in my previous post McDonalds burgers are the worst food you could pay for yet...80 billion sold. I'll take a gourmet burger over McDonalds any time even though it will be three times the price.

It's actually easy to "build" your own kit car and people do it every day. How many people build their own Lexus SC lol Ain't gonna work. You can't even get the parts on volume. While you pay a premium for the Lexus and maybe even a little too much sometimes, it's worth every penny when your driving down the PCH with the sun in your face.

If you could ask Gene Roddenberry what his idea of future tech was he'd say a Mac/iPod Touch not Windows 7 / Zune. Cringe.

I have no reason to own a Winblows machine so there's no reason for me to visit Winblows or MS forums. But there sure a lot of Winblows and MS users on AI. I guess PC users like to dream Macs.
post #84 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrider View Post

macs are still to expensive for the average customer. When the new macbook pros and recently the imacs came out, sales at my work were pretty much the same as any other day. today windows 7 was released and we were over 300% of budget for pcs.... what does this say i wonder....

if you configure a dell with the same specs as the new imacs then the price is the same or Apple is cheaper. And Dell's LCD's don't seem to be LED ones. Apple just doesn't have any computer worth buying under $1199.

It's just a question of do you want to spend $1199 or $1499 on a computer? I don't have any preference of Windows 7 or OS X, but if the price is the same i will most likely choose Apple over Dell or HP any day. if I buy a MBP, at least the battery is warrantied for the same time as the computer. I bought a Dell Inspiron 5 or 6 years ago which still works great even with Vista and Windows 7 and I bought a 3 year warranty for it. i tried to get a new battery and Dell said that it's only covered for a year even though the rest of the computer is for 3 years. I spent $1500 on that laptop because Dell was having a huge sale at the time with a $750 off coupon and I upgraded almost everything.

I just got a cheapo 23" LCD at work, and i might just stop by the Apple store today to see what the LED LCD's look like
post #85 of 321
Really like the new ads !
After watching the ads the aspect that remained with me was
1 Customer Satisfaction
2 Windows 7 is more of the same from MS

I have never used a Mac for more the 5 minutes in the store but do plan on buying one in 2010. The user experience I had with the Macbook Pro far exceeded my expectations.
Something that no MS OS has ever done.

I have used Windows 7 and it reminds me to much of Vista.

Current Hardware Lineup:
Dell XPS Vista - Gaming PC for DDO / WOW
Home Build PC XP Pro
HP Laptop from work XP that will be upgraded to 7 next year from what IT is telling me.

Competition is good, but some of you really need to calm down and realize that not everyone wants to use a PC / MAC and neither is a wrong choice depending on what you need it for.
I will buy a Macbook pro because i want a laptop to do light gaming in a small form.
There are Windows Laptops that will do that , however they are only a little bit cheaper then the macbook pro , and sometimes more costly.

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #86 of 321
These are about as far as you can get with stretching the truth. If the public believes them, it could help a lot. However, if they find Win7 to be a big improvement (as most who have actually tried it have), then Apple stands to loose a lot of credibility.
post #87 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

88.9%. MS share has nosedived over the past five years. The entire company has been in a steady downward slide.

1) universal licensing
2) ignorance
3) inertia

The Three Pillars of Microsoft.

or Vista and iPods/iPhones - takes your pick
post #88 of 321
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbJGz...ayer_embedded#

Epic failure needs no translation.

Somehow makes the new Get a mac ads all the more obvious.
post #89 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I couldn't agree more.

Ha ha- very clever. But a slght difference- I'm not spending MILLION$ doing it.\

Stop watching me, Stop watching me, so creepy!!
post #90 of 321
Quote:

See what happens if you let Microsoft make the food...!

http://www.burgerkingjapan.co.jp/news/win7.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHhW...layer_embedded

Did someone mention 'bloat'?!

post #91 of 321
Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

Greatest. Post. Ever.
post #92 of 321
Quote:

I thought it was another Japanese game show..damn

Now who is to blame SONY or MS, great example why I bought a Mac, not because of the failure, but because at least if the OS fails I can shout at ONE person.

At least it was not the "blue screen" brand image that MS uses all the time
post #93 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Now who is to blame SONY or MS, great example why I bought a Mac, not because of the failure, but because at least if the OS fails I can shout at ONE person.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if it is the screen's fault. It is still part of the PC experience. And if someone were to lug this thing into a Microsoft store and ask a Guru to help them out, what do you think would happen?
post #94 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Oh and clocked my 2nd boot up on W7.... 19 seconds, not bad if I say so

Quote:

Apple Time Capsule? I hear their quite reliable

Quote:

Your right building a PC isn't impressive when all you do is ....

iFail basic English.
post #95 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Stop watching me, Stop watching me

Just giving you the attention you deserve. Isn't that why you are posting, for the attention?
post #96 of 321
Quote:

t-e-c-k-s-t-u-d

Ouch.
post #97 of 321
Quote:

Totally agree. Apple is really running scared - so obvious. Has any company ever attacked another product this soon - in ad history? I would expect a stock drop today.

No, I think Schiller is exactly right
- the best way for Apple to treat the Windows 7 launch is to treat it as an opertunity
- it will create 'churn'
- people who have been holding back waiting for Win7 could also now look at the Mac as an alternative
- so Apple is just treating every new PC buyer as a potential Mac buyer

- coming after their best Q yet for Mac sales, and just after launchg the new Macs, I think it makes perfect sense...
post #98 of 321
Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

Slam. Dunk.
post #99 of 321
Quote:

At least it was not the "blue screen" brand image that MS uses all the time

To be fair, they got their act together for a second go 50 mins later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_gkL...response_watch

- so obviously it was some problem with the touchscreen...
post #100 of 321
Quote:

Stop watching me, Stop watching me, so creepy!!

If you didn't make yourself so obviously loud, frequent, and visible, it would be easier to stop watching you.

Something about your behavior suggests that you seem to get the jollies out of creeping yourself out.
post #101 of 321
Dell Studio 17 (N0074502).................................MacBook Pro 15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total : 1 049,01 €...................................1 599,00 € TVA incl.
Composants
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor ............2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
P8700 (2.53 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB,
3 MB L2 cache)

Windows® 7 Ãdition Familiale Premium
authentique РFran̤ais

Microsoft® Works 9.0 - French
1 year of coverage included
with your PC

17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900)........15 pouces comprend un écran
LED with TL.........................................rétroà ©clairé par LED 1440-par-900

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel..............4Go 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2Go
DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

1TB (5.400rpm) Serial ATA....................Disque dur Serial ATA de 250 Go
Dual Hard Drive (2x 500GB)..................(5400 trs/min)

512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570........NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive
including Software

Primary 6-cell 56 WHr.............................Batterie intégrée
Lithium Ion battery.................................d'une autonomie de 7 heures

Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card
(802.11 b/g)

2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera......Webcam iSight

1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - European

French Documentation
N1174502
1 year of coverage included with your PC

Studio 1745 Order - France

Studio 1745 Resource DVD
(Diagnostic & Drivers)

90W AC Adaptor

Silver chainlink palm rest
– with Black Chainlink cover only

Wireless Label Pentium Dual Core

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #102 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_In_Seattle View Post

IYou'd still amazed to know that among all the people in the US that use Internet Explorer, more than 15% have version 6.0 or older.

Funny you should mention that. I just received a company email saying that on Monday, they will begin upgrading our machines (we're on XP) to IE 7.0. We're a company with about 15,000 employees.
post #103 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Composants
3 MB L2 cache)

authentique РFran̤ais

with your PC

LED with TL.........................................rétroà ©clairé par LED 1440-par-900

DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

including Software

(802.11 b/g)

French Documentation
N1174502

Studio 1745 Resource DVD
(Diagnostic & Drivers)

90W AC Adaptor

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

can anyone say "please format your copy and paste into English before posting"
post #104 of 321
Quote:

can anyone say "please format your copy and paste into English before posting"

I hoped arabic numerals were commonly used both on this board and on french sites. Sorry.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #105 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Composants
3 MB L2 cache)

authentique РFran̤ais

with your PC

DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

including Software

(802.11 b/g)

French Documentation
N1174502

Studio 1745 Resource DVD
(Diagnostic & Drivers)

90W AC Adaptor

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

Ne pas utiliser OS X = Dell Studio Fail.
post #106 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

These are about as far as you can get with stretching the truth. If the public believes them, it could help a lot. However, if they find Win7 to be a big improvement (as most who have actually tried it have), then Apple stands to loose a lot of credibility.

I agree. Just judging from the reports and reviews so far, Win 7 appears to be a good product. To rag on about how crap it is might backfire. I wish Apple would drop the present I'm a Mac format and update the tone, content and style. A little more positive, please. Maybe forget about PC for a while and focus on the switchers and Mac. By all means keep the characters and keep it abstract but so far Justin Long has just been standing there. Maybe time to make him more proactive.
post #107 of 321
Quote:

Ne pas utiliser OS X = Dell Studio Fail.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #108 of 321
Let us hear some great examples of how Apple has been biting other people's ideas? Could you start by pointing me to where Apple borrowed the iMac idea from? Explain where it borrowed the idea of convection cooling used in a computers.

Also keep in mind there is a difference between borrowing another companies ideas and reworking them to make them exceptionally better [what Apple with the iPod], and simply copying ideas without doing any real innovation [what Microsoft did with the Zune].

Take Microsoft's new retail store. It is an exact copy of Apple's store.

Quote:

Sorry you don't like the name, that's cool.

Your right building a PC is nothing because I'm not an idiot and have common sense and I don't buy typical bargain bin parts either, and god forbid something goes wrong I can fix it myself.

Where is this innovation you speak of? Last time Apple innovated was when they made the worlds first GUI, other than that they've been biting other peoples ideas just like MS has, so this is a weak argument...unless your being sarcastic then the last time they innovated was when they introduced this awesome element of Snow Leopard that deletes your info if someone logs into your guest account...no ones done that before, how innovate truly
post #109 of 321
Quote:

Just giving you the attention you deserve. Isn't that why you are posting, for the attention?

Dates, times? Are you maintaining a teckstudian database of knowledge?
post #110 of 321
Quote:

Someone has to. Although it *is* hard keeping up with the stuff you spew out...

BTW I've actually enjoyed Resident Evil 5 for the most part this evening. Some of us actually use and enjoy PC and Macs at the same time instead of bitching about one or the other all the time.
post #111 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

DAMN. New ads by Apple. This is bad it must mean that are SCARED of MS. Oh wait when Apple put out something stupid likd this they are just trying to steal thunder...LOL.

What are you talking about?

Apple has been putting out anti-MS ads since early 2006, taking the opportunity to trash whatever MS attempted. Did it with Vista, too.

And judging by their results, it's pretty good for "scared." May Apple continue to be "scared."
post #112 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you didn't make yourself so obviously loud, frequent, and visible, it would be easier to stop watching you.

Something about your behavior suggests that you seem to get the jollies out of creeping yourself out.

I really don't want to know *what else* he does to himself.
post #113 of 321
Quote:

What are you talking about?

Apple has been putting out anti-MS ads since early 2006, taking the opportunity to trash whatever MS attempted. Did it with Vista, too.

And judging by their results, it's pretty good for "scared." May Apple continue to be "scared."

Was ever an anti-Vista, anti- XP ad released less than 24 hours after their initial release? NO.
HHmmmmm- Sounds pretty scared to me.
post #114 of 321
Quote:

Its really not that easy to build a good PC that looks very clean on the inside with proper airflow. It is easy for someone to just throw some junk together. I build some of my own because I enjoy doing it, but honestly sometimes I wonder if its worth the hassle... The one main advantage to building your own is it makes it really easy to upgrade whenever you want. Also if your using good quality parts (unlike most Tier 1) systems you know you have a good chance of your system lasting a long time with limited problems.

With a Dell casing, especially slimmer ones available nowadays, is actually not that easy to upgrade parts, plus you'd usually have to change the power supply as well for a more powerful GPU. Trying to figure out CPU upgrades may be a bit tricky as well. The latest branded PC desktops are not as easy to upgrade sometimes. Correct me if some of you have experienced otherwise.

Then if you talk about all-in-one PCs, upgradeability goes out the window as well.

Well anyways I'm GPU obsessed because nowadays I just use my PC for gaming. I like the components and my PC setup, 21.5" Samsung screen, etc. Just the case. I chose the *absolutely least ugly* case as much as I could. The DIY market has terrible, absolutely terrible, case designs.

I posted about this at length for quite a while back. There just hasn't been any middle ground between ugly towers and upgradeable, slim, powerful machines. Nvidia's good GPUs, are MASSIVE. Look at the GTX260 and 280 etc. And their next generation, the supposed Fermi, is more designed for large power-hungry workstation setups than anything close to consumer let alone mobile. ATI has tried to address issues at least in terms of performance-per-watt with their 5870, 5850, 5770, 5750 series. But again, a sleek, customisable, interchangeable PC system has never come about in the past 20 years of personal computing that I've been involved in.

The DIY market needs a shakeup in terms of some real innovation, going back to sleek microATX setups maybe. But maybe sometimes the DIY market wants to see big towers and lots of glowing stuff and huge CPU fans for overclocking and 2 to 4 GPUs in there. So that works against a customisable, sleek and efficient ecosystem.
post #115 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I really don't want to know *what else* he does to himself.

I don't need to. Why do you think AI has all those new flash pictureS of my look alikes adorning their home page?
post #116 of 321
Quote:

DAMN. New ads by Apple. This is bad it must mean that are SCARED of MS. Oh wait when Apple put out something stupid likd this they are just trying to steal thunder...LOL.

i think ripping off the way microsoft did the apple stores maxed out the stupidity quota for yesterday...
post #117 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlebrau79 View Post

Also, the iMac is hardly eco-friendly. Just because Apple says it doesn't mean squat. An all-in-one like the iMac is probably the worst thing for the environment because the massive 27" display will be good for 10 years, but the computer won't be used for more than 3.

Not true. The 27" imac screen can be used as a display for another device by simply using the imac 27" display as one of your output devices by utilizing the mini diasplay port input bypassing the imacs processor. In 3 years when you have another processor that you want to use substitute for the imac guts, the display is clearly salvageable.

Plus most mac's generally have a longer useful life than 3 years.
post #118 of 321
Quote:

In the last thread everyone was saying MS was scared of Apple because they decided to open a retail store. So it must work both ways, if Apple is launching these ad the same week MS launches a new OS then must mean Apple is scared of MS.

Ads are ads.

But blatantly ripping off Apple at every turn because your profits are nosediving, your company is in a steady decline, and you're totally out of ideas, is an altogether different story.
post #119 of 321
Quote:

You are corrects its hard to upgrade something like a Dell computer because you don't always know what kind of motherboard they have used, you almost always get a cheap power supply that won't handle any upgrades or a decent GPU.

On a branded PC, I wouldn't try upgrading anything beyond RAM and HDD.

Replacing the motherboard is usually a complete non-starter. PC manufacturers tend to fuse all of the motherboard connectors (Power On, HDD LED, etc.) into one cable and the cable isn't usually compatible with other motherboards.

I own a PC for gaming. It's my only option since even Mac Pros don't have the best graphic card options, despite costing triple the price of the PC. However, most branded PCs are about as much use as a Mac for gaming. The only sensible option is to build your own.
post #120 of 321
Quote:

Well, it's really just a table:

Code:

CREATE TABLE teckstud_knowledge (
tskID tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
revealed datetime NOT NULL,
knowledge varchar(255),
PRIMARY KEY (tskID),
KEY revealed (revealed)
)

But, even though I've allowed the 'knowledge' column to accept null values, there are still no rows in it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple targets 3 new Get a Mac ads at Windows 7 (with videos)