or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile U.S. ad inadvertently boosts sales of iPhone app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

T-Mobile U.S. ad inadvertently boosts sales of iPhone app

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 
Sales of a year-old iPhone app doubled after a similar program for Android was prominently shown by a celebrity in a U.S. T-Mobile commercial.

A new advertisement featuring alumni of Saturday Night Live playing around with the Android-powered myTouch 3G, shows comedian Dana Carvey using an application that simulates steam on glass. The user can "wipe" the steam off the screen, as Carvey does to write "Call me" and draw a smiley face. But an iPhone application that predates the Android offering has turned out to be a beneficiary, despite the fact that it is not a part of the TV spot.

According to TechCrunch Israeli iPhone developers ApParty were surprised when their year-old, App Store-exclusive offering iFog saw its sales double out of the blue a few weeks ago. At first they were unsure why the sales had spiked, until someone noted the new T-Mobile advertisement.

The iPhone application was first released in December 2008 and found quick popularity, selling 200,000 copies. Sales, however, flattened over time, to about 250 per week. Then, two weeks ago, U.S. sales began to nearly quadruple.

The similar Android application featured in the T-Mobile commercial, Steamy Window Pro, is not made by ApParty. But clearly the advertisement inspired iPhone and iPod touch users to search the App Store for a similar program. As a result, the $0.99 iFog app inadvertently reaped the benefits.



Apple has frequently said in its own advertisements that there is an app for "just about everything" on its iPhone App Store. That claim came into question in the U.K. this summer, when the Advertising Standards Authority received a number of complaints that the "there's an app for that" ads said such variety was available "only on the iPhone."

In its decision, the ASA backed Apple, noting that while Android has its share of applications, the App Store is the only location where consumers can access such a variety of options.

"We therefore considered viewers would understand the claim 'Only on the iPhone' to refer to the range of apps available and the user experience of the App Store and iPhone, and not that they were the only company to provide applications for mobile phones," the ruling stated. "Because Apple had shown there were far more applications available for the iPhone than the G1 phone, and user-experience of the iPhone and the app store was distinct from its competitor, we concluded the claim "Only on the iPhone" was justified and not misleading."
post #2 of 76
Definitely makes sense. I don't think it was a mistake on T-Mobiles part. Just when iPhone users saw the commercial they probably jumped on the App Store thinking 'hmm I wonder if I have an app like that'. Definitely makes sense to me.
post #3 of 76
iSteam is better and free when I got it.
Did iSteams sales increase? Seems like these guys are taking a little too much credit or using it to claim new buzz for their year old app.
post #4 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sales of a year-old iPhone app doubled after a similar program for Android was prominently shown by a celebrity in a U.S. T-Mobile commercial.

Nice. Now I'm looking forward to the headline: "Sales of iMacs mysteriously quadruple
after ads for Windows 7 widely released."
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Reply
post #5 of 76
Free advertising is free advertising. As long as it's not negative advertising, I can't imagine any developer not taking advantage of it.
post #6 of 76
I couldn't help noticing how pathetic and basic the apps are that they show off in MyTouch ads. The steam app (cool, yes, but a top app to promote the device?). One that shows pictures of mouths so you can hold them in front of your face (which the iPhone also had long ago). And a really, REALLY sad looking game: whac-a-mole, looking like it was a beginner Flash tutorial! Oh, and choosing a custom wallpaper--to make it "yours"--as phones have done for years.

I know they have to start somewhere of course, but it's weird to be showing off apps, when the next Apple ad shows a flurry of much better ones.
post #7 of 76
Countdown to fart apps.....
post #8 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Nice. Now I'm looking forward to the headline: "Sales of iMacs mysteriously quadruple
after ads for Windows 7 widely released."

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?
post #9 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I couldn't help noticing how pathetic and basic the apps are that they show off in MyTouch ads. The steam app (cool, yes, but a top app to promote the device?). One that shows pictures of mouths so you can hold them in front of your face (which the iPhone also had long ago). And a really, REALLY sad looking game: whac-a-mole, looking like it was a beginner Flash tutorial! Oh, and choosing a custom wallpaper--to make it "yours"--as phones have done for years.

I know they have to start somewhere of course, but it's weird to be showing off apps, when the next Apple ad shows a flurry of much better ones.

Oh right - the iPhone commercial highlighting the Pizza Hut app is soo much better.
post #10 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But an iPhone application that predates the Android offering has turned out to be a benefactor, despite the fact that it is not a part of the TV spot.

Not to be the vocabulary police, but benefactor is not the correct word here. Beneficiary is what you were looking for.

Josh
post #11 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh right - the iPhone commercial highlighting the Pizza Hut app is soo much better.

Do you mean this one, that mentioned "pizza lovers" for about half a second? Did you miss the previous 25 seconds where they show apps for finance, education, hobbists....etc? A pretty wide variety of apps. Not all just fluff.

Granted, the iPhone has a big head start on the apps, so maybe we'll see follow up "App" adds from T-Mobile too.
post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?

Dude , There are more to Computers then Blu-Ray
Not everyone wants or even needs it.

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

Reply

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

Reply
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital View Post

Not to be the vocabulary police, but benefactor is not the correct word here. Beneficiary is what you were looking for.

Josh

Be our guest. This site could use some grammar and spell-checking.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?

Except for the fact that most people who give a hoot about Blu-Ray already have one in their house - hooked up to a TV. I highly doubt people who are even considering a Mac look at it and say, "Hmm, no Blu-Ray? That's a deal breaker right there."
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Do you mean this one, that mentioned "pizza lovers" for about half a second? Did you miss the previous 25 seconds where they show apps for finance, education, hobbists....etc? A pretty wide variety of apps. Not all just fluff.

Granted, the iPhone has a big head start on the apps, so maybe we'll see follow up "App" adds from T-Mobile too.

Can't tell- you linked me to 17 TV ADS. Which one is it? Get your linkage right. The app is shown more than half a second
post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?

What sort of brainless masses would have Blu-ray as a requirement for their next computer? Even MS only mentions it in one of their commercials with the little friendless kid and his mom...but yeah, they both seemed sort of exited about a PC with Blu-ray. The rest of the world has heard of torrents.

Getting excited about optical media support. How very 90's. Sort of cute.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #17 of 76
I'm still waiting for the "coil up a steamer" app. I'd pay extra for that!
post #18 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?

Its Teckstud own personal crusader, he will soon drop this issue and move on something else
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Getting excited about optical media support. How very 90's. Sort of cute.

To be fair, there are lots of people that wonder why they can take their high-def footage from their high-def camera and edit it in their free high-def iMovie, but they can't burn a high-def version onto a high-def disc to play in their high-def disc player on their high-def TV. It's the only missing link in the chain for the Mac user. Obviously Apple's market research has determined them to not be a critical mass, but there are lots and it's not unreasonable to hear from them. And if their current computer does everything else they want to do it's not unreasonable for lack of Blu-ray burning to be a deal-breaker.
post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

To be fair, there are lots of people that wonder why they can take their high-def footage from their high-def camera and edit it in their free high-def iMovie, but they can't burn a high-def version onto a high-def disc to play in their high-def disc player on their high-def TV. It's the only missing link in the chain for the Mac user. Obviously Apple's market research has determined them to not be a critical mass, but there are lots and it's not unreasonable to hear from them. And if their current computer does everything else they want to do it's not unreasonable for lack of Blu-ray burning to be a deal-breaker.

I think Apple TV does a pretty good job of filling that "missing link." You don't even need to buy discs!
post #21 of 76
I honestly have seen that ad at least 10 times on TV, and never realized he was writing in fog on the screen. Not until I paused it on youtube was a I able to see it.
post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?

I'm with teckstud on the blue-ray, it seems a shame there's no high definition optical media to go with those nice big 21 and 27 inch iMacs. Furthermore few people have access to that unlimited high speed broadband that makes downloading films less than tedious.

Nevertheless we're wandering away from the original thread!

It's all good stuff if Android ads help sell iPhone apps. It's impressive how much software was created for the iPhone within a short space of time when compared to Windows Mobile.
post #23 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

To be fair, there are lots of people that wonder why they can take their high-def footage from their high-def camera and edit it in their free high-def iMovie, but they can't burn a high-def version onto a high-def disc to play in their high-def disc player on their high-def TV. It's the only missing link in the chain for the Mac user. Obviously Apple's market research has determined them to not be a critical mass, but there are lots and it's not unreasonable to hear from them. And if their current computer does everything else they want to do it's not unreasonable for lack of Blu-ray burning to be a deal-breaker.

It could be a desired feature, but I can't imagine it as a deal breaker (for me, anyway).

And you are right, it is strange that with iMovie HD, BR isn't there. But, the alternative, is to go with a Win box with BR, but then that doesn't have iMovie. I am sure some with claim there are comparable solutions on the PC, they are still no iMovie. So, on the one hand you are missing Bluray, but on the other you are missing iMovie.

Still, I find it funny that in this day and age, anyone gets excited about optical storage. It is essentially being excited about the last iteration of a dying paradigm. I would be amused to hear "Whoohoo, VHS-HQ!!!" or "My next tape deck must have auto-reverse!"

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #24 of 76
I would like Blu-Ray in my computer, but teckstud is just being condescending, but so was Tulkas' reply, and PatsFan83's reply is just ignorant of anyone who wants non-Apple solutions or who likes owning tangible objects. You are all tools. Stop acting like your way of life should be everyone else's.
post #25 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppleganger View Post

I would like Blu-Ray in my computer, but teckstud is just being condescending, but so was Tulkas' reply, and PatsFan83's reply is just ignorant of anyone who wants non-Apple solutions or who likes owning tangible objects. You are all tools. Stop acting like your way of life should be everyone else's.

We have the sensitive type in forum today
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppleganger View Post

I would like Blu-Ray in my computer, but teckstud is just being condescending, but so was Tulkas' reply, and PatsFan83's reply is just ignorant of anyone who wants non-Apple solutions or who likes owning tangible objects. You are all tools. Stop acting like your way of life should be everyone else's.

I sure wish Apple kept floppy drives in their Macs. I would love to hold on to those tangible discs.

Calm down.
post #27 of 76
Please- allow me to bring you all back to topic:


Are these Israelis making this up? Seriously.

1.) Search "steam" in App Store and iFog is nowhere in site. iSteam and many other names with steam do.

2.) The Google app is called Steamy Window Pro not Foggy Window Pro.

3.) The Israelis have no connection at all to Steamy Window Pro

4.) The T-Mobile ad clearly shows steam not fog.


Conclusion : Sounds like a publicity stunt. Where's balloon boy?
post #28 of 76
I guess I disagree with Studdlytech. Don't need blue ray inside the case - attaching it externally makes more sense - once it's at the same level of dev that CD and DVD are I would reconsider it. But then the industry is already working on potential replacements for blue ray, so.....

Anyway tS is the resident contrarian/Turet's candidate here, so weight the offerings according to the intent.
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh right - the iPhone commercial highlighting the Pizza Hut app is soo much better.

Precisely--a great example. Even the most mundane of apps in an Apple ad series that showcases dozens is more polished than the best MyTouch can dig up to show.
post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would that happen when Windows 7 includes Blu-ray support?

Rather than explain why and give it away, it's more fun to watch it happen and then look back
post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It could be a desired feature, but I can't imagine it as a deal breaker (for me, anyway).

And you are right, it is strange that with iMovie HD, BR isn't there. But, the alternative, is to go with a Win box with BR, but then that doesn't have iMovie. I am sure some with claim there are comparable solutions on the PC, they are still no iMovie. So, on the one hand you are missing Bluray, but on the other you are missing iMovie.

Still, I find it funny that in this day and age, anyone gets excited about optical storage. It is essentially being excited about the last iteration of a dying paradigm. I would be amused to hear "Whoohoo, VHS-HQ!!!" or "My next tape deck must have auto-reverse!"

Well then I guess all those home entertainment blu-ray buyers are just throwing their money out their Windows when they buy the "Magnificent 7".
post #32 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well then I guess all those home entertainment blu-ray buyers are just throwing their money out their Windows when they buy the "Magnificent 7".

Most reports on the adoption rate of BluRay players contain words like "slow", "disappointing", "at risk", "losing to online distribution"...I wonder why?

Still, there is a market for stand alone players and more so in gaming consoles. Barely a blip on most computer purchases. There are those that want Bluray on their computers. hardly a major selling point through.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #33 of 76
tS, it can be called complementarianism - where one product's market is increased due to the effects of another similar but unrelated product. That's effectively what they are reporting - and you will see a lot of this sort of thing go back and forth as the various platforms build out their apps libraries - user will see an app on one and check to see if it or one similar is available on another. A very simple and easy to understand cause-and-effect situation. You see it countless times a day - probably without realizing it.
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Most reports on the adoption rate of BluRay players contain words like "slow", "disappointing", "at risk", "losing to online distribution"...I wonder why?

Still, there is a market for stand alone players and more so in gaming consoles. Barely a blip on most computer purchases. There are those that want Bluray on their computers. hardly a major selling point through.

Really? have you read this? http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

or are you talking on computers?
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


Conclusion : Sounds like a publicity stunt. Where's balloon boy?

I heard he was at BestBuy with his dad looking at a Windows 7 system. They are both really excited about it...especially with BluRay.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can't tell- you linked me to 17 TV ADS. Which one is it? Get your linkage right. The app is shown more than half a second

The link is just fine. It's the ad that plays when you click on the link. It's called "Nature". And actually, the Pizza Hut icon is show for less than half a second.

You mention the commercial highlighting the Pizza Hut app. My point was that it mentions lots of apps from the very useful to the mundane.
post #37 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

The link is just fine. It's the ad that plays when you click on the link. It's called "Nature". And actually, the Pizza Hut icon is show for less than half a second.

You mention the commercial highlighting the Pizza Hut app. My point was that it mentions lots of apps from the very useful to the mundane.



Oh, so now it's the Pizza Hot app icon. Dude, you're pushing it. What about all the images of the selection of the pizza's toppings. Oh yeah-that's really a productive app yet you mock t Mobile?
post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? have you read this? http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

or are you talking on computers?

Like I said, there is a market for them, especially and mainly, in the home theater market. Most of that article deals with significant rate of sales for BR titles, not the players. They do mention a 13% increase in the number of player units sold in 2009. Both could probably be mainly attributed to the death of HD-DVD the year before.

This article from June of this year, mentions that 7% of US homes have BluRay, while 11% have HD-DVD...a dead format. Not exactly a sign of it being a must have. Sale will increase for BR devices for the next couple years, I expect, but it will never surpass DVD.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Like I said, there is a market for them, especially and mainly, in the home theater market. Most of that article deals with significant rate of sales for BR titles, not the players. They do mention a 13% increase in the number of player units sold in 2009. Both could probably be mainly attributed to the death of HD-DVD the year before.

This article from June of this year, mentions that 7% of US homes have BluRay, while 11% have HD-DVD...a dead format. Not exactly a sign of it being a must have. Sale will increase for BR devices for the next couple years, I expect, but it will never surpass DVD.

Sorry to burst your bubble but your number is incorrect. It should be 16% for Blu-ray as a Sony Play Staion is also a Blu-ray player.
post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The lionk is not just fine it should take me directly to the ad not it and 16 other ads. Do you really think I have time or the desire to watch all other 16 ap ads?

The link is just fine. It does take you to the exact ad I'm talking about. You're just not waiting for the 25 seconds until they mention the "pizza lovers" line. Either that or maybe it's a browser issue. Unfortunately I'm at work and on a Windows machine. I'm using Firefox. When I click on the link it takes QuickTime about 3 seconds to start the ad that I'm talking about. No need for searching. Yes, there are other ads below it, but the ad I'm linking to should start playing for you. But like I said maybe your browser does it differently. Anyway, I told you it is called "Nature".

Quote:
Oh, so now it's the Pizza Hot app icon. Dude, you're pushing it. What about all the images of the selection of the pizza's toppings. Oh yeah-that's really a productive app yet you mock t Mobile?

I'm not pushing anything. You brought up the Pizza Hut ad. And the icon, plus all the pizza images (1) take up about 1/2 of one second. If "Nature" is not the ad you're talking about, then please link to the Pizza Hut ad you are referring to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile U.S. ad inadvertently boosts sales of iPhone app