or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to new MacBook Pros on horizon

Evidence points to new MacBook Pros on horizon - Page 3

post #81 of 134
From Gizmodo : Phil Schiller: No More Apple Products This Year

http://gizmodo.com/5390583/phil-schi...yline=true&s=x
post #82 of 134
I agree that Arrandale in January is the most likely processor for Macbooks. I just don't think it's impossible that Apple will use the mobile quad-core i7s, at least as an option.
post #83 of 134
As much as I'd love a 1680x1050 display in a 15.4" MBP, I can't help but think that Apple will go 16:9 instead. So what will likely happen is instead a 15.4" model, there will be a 16.4" model with a 1600x900 display. It's slightly higher PPI than now and that display would be almost the same height as the current ones- just wider.

What this does is (as with the iMac) allow for a wider case, and better cooling by spreading the CPU/GPU apart a little bit more. I think this better cooling will allow for Apple to get away with a mobile Core i5 (I think it's called Arrandale) and a Radeon 4670 (if they choose to use it over an equivalent Nvidia GPU)
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
post #84 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

As much as I'd love a 1680x1050 display in a 15.4" MBP, I can't help but think that Apple will go 16:9 instead. So what will likely happen is instead a 15.4" model, there will be a 16.4" model with a 1600x900 display. It's slightly higher PPI than now and that display would be almost the same height as the current ones- just wider.

image: http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...7at21110PM.png

What this does is (as with the iMac) allow for a wider case, and better cooling by spreading the CPU/GPU apart a little bit more. I think this better cooling will allow for Apple to get away with a mobile Core i5 (I think it's called Arrandale) and a Radeon 4670 (if they choose to use it over an equivalent Nvidia GPU)

I could deal with that slight drop in case size. This new ratio looks to have helped the iMacs cooling abilities (compare new 21.5 to old 24), however there are some caveats for a notebook. Tthe easier and better cooling of this ratio display will also increase the base footprint. This adds area, which translates to a larger volume device, which also means it could weight more.

I have to wonder if going to 16:9 (hoping they never no) cant really happen until several years into the future. When optical drives and HDDs with their 9.5mm minimum thickness are thrown out, and 7mm SSDs are the only option for internal storage.

I think Arandale may be the only option which may mean we have to wait until year. \
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #85 of 134
Assuming they use the opportunity to make the bezel around the screen smaller- say, the same width as the bezel on the current 17" model- the footprint of the machine wouldn't actually be that much larger. it would be shorter and wider than now, but not a lot bigger.
post #86 of 134
9to5mac is saying that new Mac part numbers are showing up at Best Buy, FWIW.
post #87 of 134
I just saw that. It would be interesting to know what the part numbers are.

FYI; the current MacBook Pros are:

13" 2.26 MB990LL/A
13" 2.53 MB991LL/A

15" 2.53 MC118LL/A
15" 2.66 MB985LL/A
15" 2.8 MB986LL/A

17" 2.8 MC226LL/A
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #88 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I just saw that. It would be interesting to know what the part numbers are.

FYI; the current MacBook Pros are:

13" 2.26 MB990LL/A
13" 2.53 MB991LL/A

15" 2.53 MC118LL/A
15" 2.66 MB985LL/A
15" 2.8 MB986LL/A

17" 2.8 MC226LL/A

I reckon they'll replace the last two models and leave the others the same. So 2.8GHz 15" gets a 1.6GHz quad Core i7-720QM (turbo = 2.8GHz) and the 17" gets the 1.73GHz quad Core i7-820QM (turbo = 3.06GHz). Both 8 thread chips. They could possibly both get the 1.6GHz default with the option to upgrade to the higher up one.
post #89 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I reckon they'll replace the last two models and leave the others the same. So 2.8GHz 15" gets a 1.6GHz quad Core i7-720QM (turbo = 2.8GHz) and the 17" gets the 1.73GHz quad Core i7-820QM (turbo = 3.06GHz). Both 8 thread chips. They could possibly both get the 1.6GHz default with the option to upgrade to the higher up one.

Heh, which would be awesome as I would end up with another MBP 17".
post #90 of 134
I think you're probably right. They'll probably bring up the specs on the lower-end models to the better Core 2 Duos like they did for the iMacs. Meanwhile the higher-end MacBook Pros will get the new quad core parts.
post #91 of 134
Quote:

That's my thought as well. The others would get regular 133/267 MHz bumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

Putting Mac OS X on a tablet is like putting a steering wheel on a motorcycle.
post #92 of 134
So, then, for someone who has been saving up to buy a high end 17" and is ready to buy, what do you suggest I do? Buy now or wait?
post #93 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

So, then, for someone who has been saving up to buy a high end 17" and is ready to buy, what do you suggest I do? Buy now or wait?

Assuming the Best Buy rumors are correct with new product numbers, the update would happen within a matter of days. Apple like to do things on Tuesdays so it could even be later on today. They typically don't introduce changes late in the year so it would be unusual to see an update beyond the end of November. I'd hold off at least until the end of next week. This way, even if they drop in an update later, you will more likely fall inside the return period.
post #94 of 134
Quote:

Assuming the Best Buy rumors are correct with new product numbers, the update would happen within a matter of days. Apple like to do things on Tuesdays so it could even be later on today. They typically don't introduce changes late in the year so it would be unusual to see an update beyond the end of November. I'd hold off at least until the end of next week. This way, even if they drop in an update later, you will more likely fall inside the return period.

In relation to Q4 earnings release, it got out that there would be no more hardware refreshes in 09
I seriously doubt that we will see new MacBooks Pros before January 2010
It would be a nice surprise if they did.
post #95 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApple21 View Post

In relation to Q4 earnings release, it got out that there would be no more hardware refreshes in 09
I seriously doubt that we will see new MacBooks Pros before January 2010
It would be a nice surprise if they did.

I think the actual phrasing was no new products. That could be interpreted to exclude refreshes, though I agree that it’s likely that nothing else will come out before January. Still, it would likely be best to wait until late November just to be sure, but by then I’d wait until January for an inevitable refresh. \
post #96 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the actual phrasing was no new products. That could be interpreted to exclude refreshes, though I agree that its likely that nothing else will come out before January. Still, it would likely be best to week until late November just to be sure, but by then Id wait until January for an inevitable refresh. \

Apple always turns on a dime . MORE than once I have ordered an apple computer and gotten fast chips or more ram or some cool free upgrade. That is why i always order special config from the online store .

Anyway happy monday morning!!

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #97 of 134
Whether it happens in November or January, the next MacBook Pro speedbump really needs to see minimum RAM increased to 4GB. Even the iMac has 4GB minimum RAM now. 2GB is arguably tolerable for the base MacBook and Mac Mini -- but not for much longer.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #98 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Whether it happens in November or January, the next MacBook Pro speedbump really needs to see minimum RAM increased to 4GB. Even the iMac has 4GB minimum RAM now. 2GB is arguably tolerable for the base MacBook and Mac Mini -- but not for much longer.

The iMac also went to desktop-class RAM with 4 slots. Aren’t those sticks cheaper since they are less condensed modules?

I hope they go with 4GB as standard, too, at least for the MBPs with discrete GPUs, though overall I think 2GB is enough for a lot of people. I know other companies pack in more RAM to their systems, but Apple’s OS is more refined and comes with no crapware that can bog down a system.

This is an interesting review…

Quote:
The [MacBook Pro] had a lower memory footprint than its rivals, too. Of the 2GB of RAM installed, only 289MB was used when the machine was idling – around 14% of the total memory installed.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/352927/the-crapware-con
post #99 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iMac also went to desktop-class RAM with 4 slots. Arent those sticks cheaper since they are less condensed modules?

I hope they go with 4GB as standard, too, at least for the MBPs with discrete GPUs, though overall I think 2GB is enough for a lot of people. I know other companies pack in more RAM to their systems, but Apples OS is more refined and comes with no crapware that can bog down a system.

This is an interesting review
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/352927/the-crapware-con

Not sure what "desktop-class RAM" means but they are still using SO-DIMMs, typically used in laptops and compact desktops. However, SO-DIMMs are just a compact form of memory modules, the chips are the same as the ones used in full sized DIMMs.
post #100 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Not sure what "desktop-class RAM" means but they are still using SO-DIMMs, typically used in laptops and compact desktops. However, SO-DIMMs are just a compact form of memory modules, the chips are the same as the ones used in full sized DIMMs.

Same as your “typically used in …” comment.

Then there is no iMac cost saving over RAM for notebooks. I still wouldn’t expect 4GB RAM in some of the MBP offerings come the refresh.
post #101 of 134
I wouldn't mind seeing 4GB RAM on the motherboard, a la MacBook AIR, and 2 slots for up to 4+4 GB more for a total of 12GB.
post #102 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

That'll be great:

1. It will give us the option to attach a seperate BluRay drive afterwards whenever we like!
2. It will bring the cost down as the seperate drive will be an option.
3. It might extend the battery life.
4. And as Solipsism mentions, it will give us a cooler Macbook Pro

Yes! I haven't used my optical drive in months, and I would gladly buy a separte one to avoid the troubles of having it- heat, power and ha noisy startup sound.
post #103 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Arrandale will likely arrive running cooler than todays processors so I'm not sure the above juditifies your position. The big question in my mind is this, does Apple go with the Arrandale variant that has the built in GPU? If NOT Arrandale could significantly lower the power profile of the laptops and would make for one excellent 13" MBP for example.

As to displays I see Apple eventually going 16:9 simply because that is where mass production seems to be moving. For the smaller machines it probably doesn't make much difference, on a 15 or 17 inch class machine it does. Even here my opinion is changing as I better adapt to wider screens.

Oh and one important thing Arrandale is more like i7 in that it has SMT. A dual core Arrandale should be able to handle four threads of execution in hardware. I have this suspicion that people will be very pleased with Arrandale when it is actually delivered in notebooks.

Dave
post #104 of 134
I'm switching to a mac when the new MBPs come out (in January hopefully). Do you guys think the prices will hold at $1200, $1700, and $2500? Or are price increases typical when MBPs are updated. I noticed the macbook maintained its $1000 price point with its update. Just wondering if pros have followed this same pattern in the past. Thanks.
post #105 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewill View Post

I'm switching to a mac when the new MBPs come out (in January hopefully). Do you guys think the prices will hold at $1200, $1700, and $2500? Or are price increases typical when MBPs are updated. I noticed the macbook maintained its $1000 price point with its update. Just wondering if pros have followed this same pattern in the past. Thanks.

The prices will either drop $100 or (more likely) remain the same.
post #106 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Yes! I haven't used my optical drive in months, and I would gladly buy a separte one to avoid the troubles of having it- heat, power and ha noisy startup sound.

Another reason for dropping the internal optical drive is that I buy a new laptop about once a year, but an external optical drive can sometimes last a decade.
post #107 of 134
Quote:

Another reason for dropping the internal optical drive is that I buy a new laptop about once a year, but an external optical drive can sometimes last a decade.

Yet, the one in my machine never seems to work when I finally need it. I am rough with my machines and waiting a year before i may need it doesnt serve it well.
post #108 of 134
Wait, but you'll be waiting until January. Apart from the supposed comment from Apple saying there won't be any more new products in '09, January is almost always the update cycle for MBPs. Apple will try to milk the current ageing 15 and 17" configurations over the holiday season, which is typically their iMac and iPod boom period anyway.

I personally can't wait even though I have the current model. The 9600m GT is really starting to show its age. I might try to offload it before Christmas.

Speculation on the new graphics cards? Seems certain they'll switch to ATI but which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post

post #109 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Wait, but you'll be waiting until January. Apart from the supposed comment from Apple saying there won't be any more new products in '09, January is almost always the update cycle for MBPs. Apple will try to milk the current ageing 15 and 17" configurations over the holiday season, which is typically their iMac and iPod boom period anyway.

I personally can't wait even though I have the current model. The 9600m GT is really starting to show its age. I might try to offload it before Christmas.

Speculation on the new graphics cards? Seems certain they'll switch to ATI but which one?

They could go to ATI but they are just as likely to also include some NVIDIA 200M or 300M series. Maybe the GTS 250M or 260M for the midrange, the 210M for the Low-end.
post #110 of 134
Yeah this is a tough one. Really need a new mbp asap - and waiting that extra 2-3 months is difficult. Plus the exchange rate here in aus is really good at the moment - mbp's have never been cheaper.

Though this is one of those very rare cases where people on this forum are actually saying that the hardware update is worth the wait.

What to do... what to do...
post #111 of 134
The only very small possibility of an update is tomorrow. Otherwise I think new MBP's are a lock for the January timeframe.
post #112 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

The only very small possibility of an update is tomorrow. Otherwise I think new MBP's are a lock for the January timeframe.

I'm afraid our right. I was hoping to purchase a new MBP for work before the end of the year. Hopefully it won't be too long into the new year.
post #113 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

... Apple will try to milk the current ageing 15 and 17" configurations over the holiday season..

So you think the next MBP model will have a new case? My MacBook is really aging. Might not be able to wait. The screen has been flickering for a year and it's now getting really bad. Of course the case is chipping everywhere. And since a few weeks ago, sometimes the arrow keys don't work. Sometimes they do. I took the keys off and cleaned even. It seems to be software. No rhyme or reason. The quality between their pro and consumer laptop lines has always been distinct but in the past few years I really feel like the consumer laptops are low quality. I remember my PBG4 was a tank. In people's experience here, how is the quality of the MBP, the case etc.?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #114 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

So you think the next MBP model will have a new case? My MacBook is really aging. Might not be able to wait. The screen has been flickering for a year and it's now getting really bad. Of course the case is chipping everywhere. And since a few weeks ago, sometimes the arrow keys don't work. Sometimes they do. I took the keys off and cleaned even. It seems to be software. No rhyme or reason. The quality between their pro and consumer laptop lines has always been distinct but in the past few years I really feel like the consumer laptops are low quality. I remember my PBG4 was a tank. In people's experience here, how is the quality of the MBP, the case etc.?

Here is a video of the aluminium MBP case. Nothing else compares in build quality. Even the poly-carb MB is now a rigid unibody design. No flex whatsoever.
http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/apple-...gn-video/8860/ Here is an AnandTech article from yesterday detailing the pros and cons of the MBP lineup. He compares and tests against other notebooks and older MBPs. If you arent familiar with the site below,its not an Apple-centric and can be quite in-depth.
http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/apple-...gn-video/8860/ S.Metcal stated that "Apple will try to milk the current ageing 15 and 17" configurations over the holiday season. Im not sure what this means. There is no try and there is no update until next year. The lineup is set. Apple has told us that much. Arrandale (Core i5 and i7) are ramping up production and Apple will be releasing them in their notebooks in Jan/Feb. These are 32nm dual-core chips. That much is certain. Dont expect Clarkdale, the 45nm quad-core mobile chips. The TDP is likely too high for Apples svelte design, unless they do a radical change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrandale_(microprocessor)
post #115 of 134
If you decide you can't wait, I can give you a good deal on a current gen 17" in perfect condition. Might as well save 6 or 7 hundred off retail (current retail that is after the price cuts). ie approx $2700-2800 AU Pvt me if interested... PS I'm in Sydney.

Spec: June 2009 2.8GHz 17" 4Gb 500Gb 7200RPM Glossy version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Yeah this is a tough one. Really need a new mbp asap - and waiting that extra 2-3 months is difficult. Plus the exchange rate here in aus is really good at the moment - mbp's have never been cheaper.

Though this is one of those very rare cases where people on this forum are actually saying that the hardware update is worth the wait.

What to do... what to do...
post #116 of 134
It's increasingly looking like we'll need to wait for January for the next MBP speedbump. I remain skeptical about the idea of Apple putting Clarkdale CPUs into MBPs. Arrandale makes a lot more sense. The next dramatic performance increase might come in about a year when Intel start shipping quad-core 32nm laptop CPUs with the GPU and northbridge on-die.
post #117 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Too bad Nvidia and Intel didn't make nice with each other. Now we're back to Intel chipsets.

huh

huh

Nvidia have 5 or 6 cross agreements that without them both companies would fail.

Intel went to kill off Nvidia for ever with a double GPU chipset .

Meanwhile Nvidia went out and sold millions of their own chipsets cpu/gpu/gpu . Making intels low power sets unsellable

These guys are ruthless and play for keeps
hate is too mild a word.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #118 of 134
RE:

Quote:

If you know you're going to buying a laptop soon, why not buy an apple gift card today, and lock in the price of your laptop regardless of when you purchase it?
post #119 of 134
Quote:

Agreed.
post #120 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much more we can guess about the next MBP speedbump.

The move to Arrandale CPUs is nearly too obvious to mention.

I think max ram will remain at 8GB because it only recently rose to 8GB and to go higher would require 8GB SO-DIMMs which are not available and will be extremely expensive when they become available. 4GB SO-SIMMs still cost more than double per GB what 2GB SO-DIMMs cost. When we see rough parity in the price per GB of 2GB and 4GB SO-DIMMs, then we can expect to see very expensive 8GB SO-DIMMs.

I don't expect to see any changes to ports or the case. A switch to 16:9 would surprise me because the MacBook just got a complete case redesign which kept the 16:10 aspect ratio.

HDDs and SSDs will of course continue to drop in price per GB, the latter faster than the former.

The only really exciting thing about the expected speedbump is the Arrandale CPUs. Faster performance with low power consumption. :-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Evidence points to new MacBook Pros on horizon