or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input

Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input - Page 2

post #41 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Take a hint. Apple doesn't want you to use their products. Why don't you move on to products that give you what you want and stop wasting disk space here.

I have to agree 100% Apple has had a long running habit of dangling a delicious looking candy bar right in front of us but when it get close enough to want to buy it they PUKE all over it. Sorry Apple I'm with teckstud on this one.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #42 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Ok, teckstud, show us on the doll...where did Apple touch you?

lol. thanks for making my monday!
post #43 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Considering Apple has never EVER given us the ability to use an iMac screen as a display, I consider this feature to be a bonus, however limited it may be.

The way some of the zombies respond to negative comments I'm quite sure they'd think that we should kiss the ground Steve walks on because he was magnanimous enough to allow the FULL use of ALL the colors the monitor can display instead of constraining it to 16 color or perhaps even grayscale when the iMac 27" is used as a monitor with a DP device.
post #44 of 150
Teckstud, sounds like you took the Red Pill.
post #45 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bingo! I can get into that- reminds me of my old Napster days before iTunes. Boy did I build up a collection I still use. But don't you have the same problems where some files may be corrupt or only half there, etc.

Naw it's 8-15GB MKV files some of these have DTS Audio @ 1.5Mbps!, currently top seeding titles are Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, Star Trek and Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs! I still buy music and what movies I want on my iPhone from iTunes but I'm done with Blu-Ray. I rather download the Blu-ray Rips from torrents before supporting Sony or buying a PS3 which I don't care they lowered the price to $99.99. I got a 24" LED Cinema Display and I say it looks beautiful. If I have the iMac 27" i7 Quad this is what I be watching.
post #46 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

That's correct, the Atlona converter has been confirmed to not work. Furthermore, there is at least one report that a native DisplayPort output from a PC didn't work and yet another that suggests (somewhat vaguely) that the DVI (???) output from an ATI 5870 video card did work with a simple adapter.

I believe that I read somewhere that the Belkin unit would ship in January.

The Radeon 5870 has a DisplayPort output. Of course it worked.
post #47 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Adapters are being developed as we speak. Expect to see them on the market soon.

The Altona adapter doesn't work unfortunately because it can't drive enough pixels to run the display. The iMac can't scale the picture so the adapter has to convert the signal and upscale it to match the display. The display only runs at its native resolution.

Hey, at least we have access to the display.

I agree, at least Apple has given us access.

The reason why Apple are hesitant to put Blu-Ray in is because they hate proprietary stuff. They would rather push everybody towards the free standards than jump on the bandwagon.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy now, then wait a few months for an adapter that is bound to be in development.
post #48 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post

If I were to use an external bluray drive (like that from Lacie), and use Windows in bootcamp, will I be able to see commercial bluray movies. Of course, the audio will be just stereo, but can it be done?
Have asked this question at various places but did not get a definitive reply. Lacie website says that the computer's video card should be HDCP compliant. What does that mean for these iMacs?

Yes, watching movies in Windows will work.
post #49 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Smuggler View Post

Teckstud, sounds like you took the Red Pill.

No, I think he's a spit not swallow kind of guy.
post #50 of 150
thaz a let down....
post #51 of 150
Does anyone know how this works in practice? Do you have to reboot to use it as a monitor? Can the mac part be functional but the display showing another input? A windowed mode? Does it scale up lower resolution like, when you play a game?
post #52 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenaon View Post

Does anyone know how this works in practice? Do you have to reboot to use it as a monitor? Can the mac part be functional but the display showing another input? A windowed mode? Does it scale up lower resolution like, when you play a game?

Yes
No, it auto senses the input, but you can press Command+F2 to switch inputs.
Kinda, the keyboard and mouse are inactive except some keys on the top row (brightness, volume, play/pause), but everything is still running.
No.
So far it doesn’t look like it scales..
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #53 of 150
Cool, so, u can leave you iMac do something heavy and boring like rendering/encoding at 100% and browse or play movie using your macbook on the big display. Sounds like endless hours of guilty free movie watching then
post #54 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup

That's correct, the Atlona converter has been confirmed to not work. Furthermore, there is at least one report that a native DisplayPort output from a PC didn't work and yet another that suggests (somewhat vaguely) that the DVI (???) output from an ATI 5870 video card did work with a simple adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The Radeon 5870 has a DisplayPort output. Of course it worked.

I thought that too (i.e. he just used the DisplayPort output from the card).

However, it seems that this person was claiming that he used a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to connect his PC to the iMac's video input. The point being that others were using this as proof that a $15 adapter could convert raw DVI/HDMI into an input that would work with Apple's new iMac. That's why I used "???" and said that the post was somewhat vague (because it wasn't completely consistent with the remainder of his post and frankly because I didn't believe that a $15 adapter such as that would work on the iMac's DisplayPort input). A simple DisplayPort-to-Mini DisplayPort cable should work (from the ATI 5870's DisplayPort out), but not something that for $15 would convert a raw DVI output into a DisplayPort input.
post #55 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Ok, teckstud, show us on the doll...where did Apple touch you?

I have to remember that one. Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post

If I were to use an external bluray drive (like that from Lacie), and use Windows in bootcamp, will I be able to see commercial bluray movies. Of course, the audio will be just stereo, but can it be done?
Have asked this question at various places but did not get a definitive reply. Lacie website says that the computer's video card should be HDCP compliant. What does that mean for these iMacs?

Besides what daniel84 stated, you can install an internal Blu-ray drive and play HDCP protected movies in Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Do you remember reading awhile back about the display port being an anti-pirate device, in hardware, as an attempt by the content providers and consumer TV/DVD/DVR makers? Maybe this has something to do with that.

When it first came out there was a driver (or possibly low-level OS) issue that prevented iTunes protected content to play on external monitors. I forget if it was only to HDMI monitors or DisplayPort monitors, but hat has since been worked out and HDCP is now supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I have to agree 100% Apple has had a long running habit of dangling a delicious looking candy bar right in front of us but when it get close enough to want to buy it they PUKE all over it. Sorry Apple I'm with teckstud on this one.

I dont think any royalties would be required if they are already supporting HDMI out,, I just dont think the video card supports it, and never did.

The regular ATI HD 4670 and HD 4870 dont have video input, so are these unique cards for Apple, but only the 27, or has Apple included a chip to auto-sense the input and bypass it to the monitor if it detects an input?

Have anyone got down and dirty enough to see if it could just be a driver issue that ATI is working on? Is HDCP preserved from and external DP source to the iMac video input?

Its just odd to think the intended solution is to hook up a second Mac so that it has two displays and your iMac has none, unless they had something headless like the Mac Mini in mind. Another thought is that the tablet could be hooked up, but even that seems like a silly proposition when Screen Sharing would much more useful.
post #56 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...When it first came out there was a driver (or possibly low-level OS) issue that prevented iTunes protected content to play on external monitors. I forget if it was only to HDMI monitors or DisplayPort monitors, but hat has since been worked out and HDCP is now supported.

My October 2008 unibody MacBook has supported iTunes protected video output with Apple's Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter for as long as I can remember (perhaps from day one). However, you can't use the Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adopter for protected content (thus they do enforce a playback protection over the analog output). Furthermore, my first generation Mac Pro plays protected content over its DVI output without restrictions even though its video card and DVI port are not HDCP compliant (this is true under Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard). Thus, the situation is a bit complex.

What I suspect is that Apple enforces video output content protection on Macs that support HDCP (that makes complete sense and this includes all of the new Mini DisplayPort equipped Macs when they are mated with a device that supports HDCP). However, Apple doesn't care if you play protected content on earlier systems that didn't support HDCP. The latter means that people who purchased protected content in the past aren't prevented from viewing their iTunes content on their older, pre-HDCP systems.

I'm not sure about the HD rentals, that may require one of the Mini DisplayPort Macs or the Apple TV (although it appears that Apple makes no such requirement in their movie rental FAQ). In any case, I've never tried to rent and view an HD movie on my Mac Pro. For the latter I use my HDTV and my Apple TV.
post #57 of 150
Quote:

My October 2008 unibody MacBook has supported iTunes protected video output with Apple's Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter for as long as I can remember (perhaps from day one).

Here are some links to it. They also link to the Apple Discussion Boards, but I haven’t clicked them so I don’t know if Apple deleted them.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...tor-solutions/
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...k-near-you.ars
http://lowendmac.com/musings/08mm/video-nazi.html
And the late November 2008 release of QuickTime 7.5.7 that resolved the issue…
Quote:
This update is recommended for owners of MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro with Mini DisplayPort. The update addresses an issue where some standard definition purchases from the iTunes Store do not play on some external displays.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/11/25/apple...-7-5-7-update/ Note that the TUAW sites says that HD content still be able to be displayed on external displays. As long as the HDCP is present I would have thought it would still work, just not through VGA as you stated.
post #58 of 150
The whole display port thing really isn't a huge issue. It's probably not too difficult to build an adapter. I don't think it's an anti - piracy measure since hdcp is present on both display link and dvi. Both signals can be converted. The only reason any of this is a problem is because of hdcp, and that's not really apple's fault.
post #59 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

post #60 of 150
Quote:

No HDMI- No purchase of an Apple monitor with built in speakers for me.
What device beit Blu-ray, game ,etc uses DP or MDP?
Apple is so wrong on this. How expensive can an HDMI fee be. How much profit does Apple need?

Oh I know , repeat after me- slopism's song - "Apple is a company that needs to................................................ .

"Apple is a company that needs to.....

ok now what
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #61 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenaon View Post

NO
open SP
find displays folder
open folder
click the check mark that states
find other displays

no wintel modes

no scale up it starts up at highest
you choose screen size
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #62 of 150
I still want one for World of Warcraft
post #63 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

Take a hint. Apple doesn't want you to use their products. Why don't you move on to products that give you what you want and stop wasting disk space here.

Apple's Just Not That Into You.
post #64 of 150
"It will not work with any equipment that only supports VGA, DVI, or HDMI output"

What a shame. Apple delete so much potential value by denying the common connector standards that are out there already.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #65 of 150
If Apple had allowed an HDMI signal and upconverted it, I would've been ready to sell my 2007 24" iMac and my 40" Sony XBR4 HDTV to use at 27" i7 iMac as my display. Sad. Oh well, my computer's just two years old and still plenty good. They would have had my dollars, now they'll have to wait for my current computer to break down or be unable to run something that I want to do with it.
post #66 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ok now what

..... make a profit even if that means not providing everything you may need or want. Apple doesn't cater to teckstud's needs until after the guinee pigs mangia on Applecrack for 2 years first and they finally produce the products up to teckstud's sensible specs. (see iPhone and 13" MPB). Teckstud made the mistake once as an Apple guinee pig with the bun warmer, the AppleTV but never again. And not only teckstud- ask all the 1gen iPod Touch owners that own basically a useless device after only 1 year. Bottom line is - wait until Appple gets all the worms out of their apples (beta devices) usually by year 2 .
post #67 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

If Apple had allowed an HDMI signal and upconverted it, I would've been ready to sell my 2007 24" iMac and my 40" Sony XBR4 HDTV to use at 27" i7 iMac as my display. Sad. Oh well, my computer's just two years old and still plenty good. They would have had my dollars, now they'll have to wait for my current computer to break down or be unable to run something that I want to do with it.

True that. I was wanting to buy a new iMac so bad , mine is 3 years old. I could live without blu- Ray, on the fence with no matte, but lost it when I read about no HDMI and same old 3+year old lousy SD iSight camera.
post #68 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ok now what

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

"It will not work with any equipment that only supports VGA, DVI, or HDMI output"

What a shame. Apple delete so much potential value by denying the common connector standards that are out there already.

Yeah, it will support HDMI with an active adapter. Wait a little while there are several in the works. Belkin already announced an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter/scaler so you can have HDMI on the iMac.

Apple didn't include DVI/HDMI because that would require a fair bit of extra hardware inside the computer, which would raise costs. Its not a simple matter of slapping the port on there. The other issue is that HDMI can't run a display at that resolution. They would have to run a dual link DVI input. Using DisplayPort is much simpler.

At least this way, the consumer gets to choose if they need that feature or not. If they included HDMI/DVI on the computer, that would raise the price for everyone.
post #69 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Yeah, it will support HDMI with an active adapter. Wait a little while there are several in the works. Belkin already announced an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter/scaler so you can have HDMI on the iMac.

Apple didn't include DVI/HDMI because that would require a fair bit of extra hardware inside the computer, which would raise costs. Its not a simple matter of slapping the port on there. The other issue is that HDMI can't run a display at that resolution. They would have to run a dual link DVI input. Using DisplayPort is much simpler.

At least this way, the consumer gets to choose if they need that feature or not. If they included HDMI/DVI on the computer, that would raise the price for everyone.

No need to raise the price- Apple should just lower their profit. Is greed green?
post #70 of 150
Hopefully LG or other LG supplier will see a market outside of the imac for this panel and issue a monitor based on it.
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
post #71 of 150
Quote:

No HDMI- No purchase of an Apple monitor with built in speakers for me.
What device beit Blu-ray, game ,etc uses DP or MDP?
Apple is so wrong on this. How expensive can an HDMI fee be. How much profit does Apple need?

Oh I know , repeat after me- slopism's song - "Apple is a company that needs to................................................ .

Quote:

All that beautiful screen wasted. No internal blu-ray, no external Blu-ray, PSP, XBOX or Wii.
And then top it off with the VHS quality iSight camera. WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud;

True that. I was wanting to buy a new iMac so bad , mine is 3 years old. I could live without blu- Ray, on the fence with no matte, but lost it when I read about no HDMI and same old 3+year old lousy SD iSight camera.

Repeated like a drone.
post #72 of 150
Everybody is fussing with each other over the non-important things here... Let's get back to the biggest breaking news here: PRICE.

Look at the Pricing Matrix at the end of the article again...

Apple is really showing everyone that they should be lowering the price of their LCDs by quite a bit.
post #73 of 150
Quote:

YOu possible got me confused with others, but I'm not surprised.

Please see your post in today's tablet thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud

Man, I can't wait to buy a Tablet just so I can buy some Apple iTunes Cocktails-- NOT!!
I want a fully functional device or fugettaboudet!
post #74 of 150
Quote:

I thought that too (i.e. he just used the DisplayPort output from the card).

However, it seems that this person was claiming that he used a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter to connect his PC to the iMac's video input. The point being that others were using this as proof that a $15 adapter could convert raw DVI/HDMI into an input that would work with Apple's new iMac. That's why I used "???" and said that the post was somewhat vague (because it wasn't completely consistent with the remainder of his post and frankly because I didn't believe that a $15 adapter such as that would work on the iMac's DisplayPort input). A simple DisplayPort-to-Mini DisplayPort cable should work (from the ATI 5870's DisplayPort out), but not something that for $15 would convert a raw DVI output into a DisplayPort input.

Yeah. It doesn't make sense.
post #75 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Please see your post in today's tablet thread:

See it? I wrote it! And what exactly does one have to do with the other?
post #76 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Apple is really showing everyone that they should be lowering the price of their LCDs by quite a bit.

Apple's trying to show us now that we don't need HDMI, trying to show us that we don't need blu-ray, that we don't want small form netbooks, tried to show is that we didn't need MMS, trtied to show us that we didn't need matte, and on and on. Profit is king at Apple.
post #77 of 150
Quote:

See it? I wrote it! And what exactly does one have to do with the other?

You claiming that you don't go into every thread and say "no X, no purchase." Do you really post so much you don't remember what you're talking about?
post #78 of 150
Quote:

Repeated like a drone.

I need to - so you can retain it.
post #79 of 150
Quote:

You claiming that you don't go into every thread and say "no X, no purchase." Do you really post so much you don't remember what you're talking about?

You only remember what you want to obviously. I've said a lot more than that and have quite an excellent memory as well. Whenever I write something positive, you simply choose to forget. Your problem, not mine.
post #80 of 150
Quote:

You only remember what you want to obviously. I've said a lot more than that and have quite an excellent memory as well. Whenever I write something positive, you simply choose to forget. Your problem, not mine.

Please point me to the last positive remark you have concerning an Apple product.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Tests confirm Apple's 27" iMac only supports DisplayPort input