or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple says no more product introductions until next year

Apple says no more product introductions until next year

post #1 of 123
Any lingering hopes of new last-minute holiday hardware from Apple have been cast in doubt, as the Mac maker has reportedly confirmed that its holiday 2009 lineup is "set."

In a recent conversation with Gizmodo, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, reportedly said that Apple will not introduce any more new products this year. The report was issued to quash recent rumors of even more hardware updates portrayed as potentially imminent.

After the story initially ran, Apple's public relations contacted to clarify with an official statement: "The holiday lineup is set." No further explanation was given.

Last week, the latest build of Mac OS X 10.6.2 seeded to developers was discovered to have references to two new MacBook Pro models, identified as 6,1 and 6,2. The most recent line of MacBook Pros carry the 5,(x) model designation.

That report suggested the two new MacBook Pro models would come equipped with Quad Core Mobile processors and ATI series 4500 GPUs.

Given Apple's statement, any new MacBook Pro models are more likely to appear in early 2010. It was in January of this year when Apple unveiled a new 17-inch MacBook Pro equipped with an eight hour built-in battery with a longer lifespan than traditional laptop batteries.

The comment would suggest that the models available in the AppleInsider price guide (below) are those that will carry Apple through the holidays:

Some have also held out hope that Apple would introduce its long-awaited 10-inch touchscreen tablet device, but AppleInsider sources have maintained that the new hardware will not appear until the first quarter of 2010.

Last week, Apple unleashed a number of new product offerings, led by redesigned iMacs with 21.5-inch and 27-inch displays. The Cupertino, Calif., company also unveiled a new unibody polycarbonate MacBook with an LED display and 7-hour battery, new Mac Minis, and the multi-touch Bluetooth Magic Mouse.
post #2 of 123
Now if only my Magic Mouse order made on October 20th would actually ship
post #3 of 123
Upgraded Apple TV hard drive. Maybe with games, too.
post #4 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Any lingering hopes of new last-minute holiday hardware from Apple have been cast in doubt, as the Mac maker has reportedly confirmed that its holiday 2009 lineup is "set."

As I read it:
After the initial report, Apple contacted Gizmodo to clarify that Schiller's exact comment was "The holiday lineup is set."After the initial report, Apple contacted Gizmodo to clarify that Schiller's exact comment was "The holiday lineup is set."

I would take that to mean
"The Holiday Lineup is Set."

Guess you have to ask yourself:
does
Set = Released

does
Set = Planned

I would say planned.
post #5 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Nothing beats a complainer before his product even arrives.
post #6 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

Upgraded Apple TV hard drive. Maybe with games, too.

Puke.
A bloated lemon? No thank you.
Go for the MiniMac instead. Trust me.
post #7 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Nothing like a complaint before the product even arrives.

??? Sometimes you make no sense whatsoever. The complaint is that it hasn't arrived yet.

EDIT: If you're going to edit your post, be decent enough to say so.
post #8 of 123
I think that should settle the question of whether Apple will try to stuff 45nm quad-core processors into a MBP. By the end of the year, Arrandales will be available in quantity. If Apple were going to redesign the MBPs to deal with the heat dissipation of a 45nm quad-core CPU, then there would be no reason to wait.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #9 of 123
I call BS.

They will release blu-ray machines
post #10 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I call BS.

What effect would Apple offering blu-ray hardware have on the iTunes store? Would blu-ray drives increase or decrease the number of movies Apple are selling and renting via iTunes?
post #11 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I call BS.

With HDMI ports.
post #12 of 123
Quote:

??? Sometimes you make no sense whatsoever. The complaint is that it hasn't arrived yet.

How can I tell you I'm going to- if I'm editing it as I post it?
And I make no sense?
post #13 of 123
Quote:

Nothing beats a complainer before his product even arrives.

wheres my nano phone

and my fresh brewed instant starbucks coffee
w/ a lemon loaf
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #14 of 123
Quote:

And I make no sense?

Originally Posted by DKWalsh4

How can I tell you I'm going to- if I'm editing it as I edit it?
And I make no sense?

where's my nano phone

edit
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #15 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Originally Posted by DKWalsh4

How can I tell you I'm going to- if I'm editing it as I edit it?
And I make no sense?

where's my nano phone

edit

Craziness- right?
Halloween is approaching- be afraid, be very afraid.
post #16 of 123
I guess this makes sense if profit margins on the new MacBook are higher than on the base MacBook Pro. I can imagine not a lot of people are gonna cough up an extra 250 only to get a smaller hard drive and the exact same processor. It doesn't make much sense to me.
post #17 of 123
Quote:

And I make no sense?

Right, I'm crazy because you post one thing then change it to another
post #18 of 123
Quote:
It was in January of this year when Apple unveiled a new 17-inch MacBook Pro equipped with an eight hour built-in battery with a longer lifespan than traditional laptop batteries.

One with a MATTE screen, if I may add.
post #19 of 123
Quote:

Right, I'm crazy because you post one thing then change it to another

No you're crazy for other reasons- like pre-ordering and then complaining.
post #20 of 123
Or maybe they are just saying that to get you to pull the trigger on a new purchase! There is still time for all your requests to be fulfilled.

Blu Ray iMac
iTouch with camera and video
Matte Monitor Screens
Apple TV with Blu Ray, Hulu, Netflix and game support
iTunes subscription service
$600 tablet
iPhone with flash and multitasking

Best to hold off for now.
post #21 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

What effect would Apple offering blu-ray hardware have on the iTunes store? Would blu-ray drives increase or decrease the number of movies Apple are selling and renting via iTunes?

It would definitely increase it, IMHO. If you were used to watching movies on your computer, the iTunes store seems like the perfect way to buy those movies for which you don't need the full HD experience, only the "lite" HD offered by highly compressed and low-bitrate downloads. But if you're not used to the computer participating in the movie experience, you're less likely to think of iTunes when thinking about that movie.
post #22 of 123
I personally don't see any advantage to announcing a product before Christmas, that won't be on sale until next year, except maybe a CDMA iPhone (so people put off planned phone upgrades). But that's a pretty unlikely product.
post #23 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Or maybe they are just saying that to get you to pull the trigger on a new purchase! There is still time for all your requests to be fulfilled.

Blu Ray iMac
iTouch with camera and video
Matte Monitor Screens
Apple TV with Blu Ray, Hulu, Netflix and game support
iTunes subscription service
$600 tablet
iPhone with flash and multitasking

Best to hold off for now.

You forgot the flat bluetooth trackpad.
post #24 of 123
Quote:

Puke.

It's not what I want, it's what's going to happen.
post #25 of 123
Quote:

No you're crazy for other reasons- like pre-ordering and then complaining.

Some of us actually get excited about new Apple products. I'd rather complain about it not arriving yet than to complain about everything under the sun. Which is your sole purpose here.
post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

I personally don't see any advantage to announcing a product before Christmas, that won't be on sale until next year, except maybe a CDMA iPhone (so people put off planned phone upgrades). But that's a pretty unlikely product.

I can think of one...

For tax purposes, I need to spend money by the end of the year. I want a new MacBook Pro and want to wait for the i7. So it would be nice if Apple announced the new MacBook Pro before the end of the year, so I can buy it and then wait for it to arrive.

Ironically, I also have a work budget allowing me to buy new equipment before the end of the year as well.
post #27 of 123
Latte and matte rhyme you know
post #28 of 123
I bet there will be new hardware first quarter of 2010.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #29 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It would definitely increase it, IMHO. If you were used to watching movies on your computer, the iTunes store seems like the perfect way to buy those movies for which you don't need the full HD experience, only the "lite" HD offered by highly compressed and low-bitrate downloads. But if you're not used to the computer participating in the movie experience, you're less likely to think of iTunes when thinking about that movie.

Your argument ignores the existence of DVDs and the fact that movies on DVD can be watched on all Macs sold in the last five or so years (MacBook Air with an external drive).
post #30 of 123
I guess this means we can put an end to all speculative posts on this and other apple news websites til after the holidays. Or not.
post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I can think of one...

For tax purposes, I need to spend money by the end of the year. I want a new MacBook Pro and want to wait for the i7. So it would be nice if Apple announced the new MacBook Pro before the end of the year, so I can buy it and then wait for it to arrive.

Ironically, I also have a work budget allowing me to buy new equipment before the end of the year as well.

I'm in your position as well. The only thing is I see USB3 as being right around the corner and I want to make sure my next computer has that. To everyone else out there, yes I know there is always something new around the corner, but USB3 is going to be adopted and in place way before light peak or any other technology. Mark my words, the new iPhone (which will replace my 3G), will have USB3.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #32 of 123
I'm surprised they're not going to bump the hard drive capacity on the low-end 13" MBP, or a processor on the Mac Pro so they don't seem less capable than the cheaper product (MacBook, iMac).
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #33 of 123
Quote:

I have to go test that in the stores. The reviews say it is a bit akward with the skids on the bottom making it slid a bit as you swipe your fingers. It is a new paradigm shift so you can't really go by the reviews.
post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

the imacs are price competative, but if you compare a 15" MBP to a Dell Studio 15 than for the same $1699 you can get a lot more powerful Dell machine. back in June it was about the same price, but Dell has cut prices recently
post #35 of 123
Quote:

Puke.

Welcome to my ignore list for the third and final time. It's been unpleasant knowing you.
post #36 of 123
Expect Arrandale based MBPros early in 2010 with no fanfare.

The tablet is the big thing and it will get a media event.

Timing on new Mac Pros is dependent on Intel moving ahead with newer processors. Right now it's looking like no changes to the Mac Pro until April 2010, but I think Apple will have to do something before that because the i7 based iMac is going to take the "pro" out of Mac Pro in a real hurry.

The i7-860, when equipped with 1333 desktop RAM outruns the Xeon W3520 and even beats the W3540 on some tests. Of course Apple crippled their i7 machine with 1066 notebook RAM, but even so I expect to see tests showing iMacs beating Mac Pros before the end of the year.
post #37 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Any lingering hopes of new last-minute holiday hardware from Apple have been cast in doubt... In a recent conversation with Gizmodo, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, reportedly said that Apple will not introduce any more new products this year.

What do you mean, "cast in doubt"? There's no doubt at all: a senior VP of Apple says on the record that there won't be any.
post #38 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have to go test that in the stores. The reviews say it is a bit akward with the skids on the bottom making it slid a bit as you swipe your fingers. It is a new paradigm shift so you can't really go by the reviews.

If you have big hands like I do it doesn't really work well. Your thumbs drag around the table. And I refuse to add Purell to my deskspace.
post #39 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Welcome to my ignore list for the third and final time. It's been unpleasant knowing you.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I could care less about your comments after you compared the US to Nazi Germany.
post #40 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I'm in your position as well. The only thing is I see USB3 as being right around the corner and I want to make sure my next computer has that. To everyone else out there, yes I know there is always something new around the corner, but USB3 is going to be adopted and in place way before light peak or any other technology. Mark my words, the new iPhone (which will replace my 3G), will have USB3.

That some interesting observations.
What do you base the iPhone and USB3 prediction on?.......
Curious minds want to know! :-)

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple says no more product introductions until next year