or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple says no more product introductions until next year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says no more product introductions until next year - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

Upgraded Apple TV hard drive. Maybe with games, too.

The HDD size is the least of its worries. The AppleTV HW needs a complete revamp and soon. Ion, which is an Atom CPU paired with Nvidia 9400M, would likely be cheaper and should be able to push 1080p. The AppleTV HW is just too antiquated to warranty a HDD capacity update and nothing else, but more importantly the market for media appliances has changed quite a bit since Apple first introduced it. The UI and features need some major changes to match the changes since the Take 2 (v2.0) release. It does what it does well and as advertised, but its surely not a device Id recommend going into 2010.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 123
Mr. Schiller has just shattered all the wet dreams of prognosticators waiting for their quad-core MBPs (15" model too).

Anyone with foresight should have known that no quad-core would make its way into a MBP this year --at least not in the 13" and 15" units.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
Reply
post #83 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This has nothing to do with reality. If we knew it to be true it would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Blu-ray is the only thing stopping me buying an i7 iMac. Add BD, and I buy. It's as simple as that. If only Apple were listening.

Nothing has anything to do with reality, until it's true. I'm just saying, Apple could very well release the quad-core iMacs in November, with Blu-Ray, as I outlined above. And I'm inclined to wait until they do.
post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Puke.
A bloated lemon? No thank you.
Go for the MiniMac instead. Trust me.

I would second that. Especially with a little hack here and there you can install and run ATV on the Mini. Selective-Boot. It's the best.

Why else does the Mini win? BOXEE.
post #85 of 123
Well this explains why the stock sunk $5+ today.
post #86 of 123
Just re-read it.

I'm taking it no NEW PRODUCTS to be released this year. Nothing about updating existing lines. Their Lineup is Set, so nothing new like the iSlate Tablet.

Nothing said about updating existing lines though.
post #87 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes, it's going to be a holly jolly pink slip Christmas.

I suspect you will be surprised.

Quote:
80% of luxury item sales are impulsive buys.

Apple's products are considered luxury items, especially their store locations.

I reject that totally. Just hang around an Apple store for a while and you will see a wide range of people. Apple doesn't sell luxury items it sells quality hardware and software.
Quote:

It's hard to be impulsive when your not making any money or have any credit.

Things are on the up swing. Further I've paid off much of my outstanding debt months ago. Started doing that a couple of years ago when recognizing the truth in some commentary I had heard.

Sure the free spending liberal mind set crowd is suffering but frankly they deserve it. People need to be responsible for themselves and their wealth, if they aren't or can't then they get the hell they built.


Dave
post #88 of 123
Keep on dreaming. I think the bluray licensing fell through. I wouldn't be expecting it for at least another six months. If there was any reason I would think it might have something to do with Bluray's protected video path requirements, which must be satisfied with the OS, not just with HDCP...
post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have to go test that in the stores. The reviews say it is a bit akward with the skids on the bottom making it slid a bit as you swipe your fingers. It is a new paradigm shift so you can't really go by the reviews.

It does require a little retraining, I've found that a ultra light touch is all that is needed for great results.
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

Nothing has anything to do with reality, until it's true. I'm just saying, Apple could very well release the quad-core iMacs in November, with Blu-Ray, as I outlined above. And I'm inclined to wait until they do.

Why would they change their mind so soon?

I want BR as much as anyone for my Mac, but I can't believe they would do that. They never do that.
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Well this explains why the stock sunk $5+ today.

Nothing to do with it.
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Just re-read it.

I'm taking it no NEW PRODUCTS to be released this year. Nothing about updating existing lines. Their Lineup is Set, so nothing new like the iSlate Tablet.

Nothing said about updating existing lines though.

They're not going to update something they just announced.
post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Puke.
A bloated lemon? No thank you.
Go for the MiniMac instead. Trust me.

Have both ( 3 Mini's) and an ATV, O!Play, WDTV Live. The Apple TV is excellent. It needs an update but those who think it's a lemon just don't get it.

pmcd
post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I would second that. Especially with a little hack here and there you can install and run ATV on the Mini. Selective-Boot. It's the best.

Why else does the Mini win? BOXEE.

The Mini is excellent but is almost 3 times the price and it's a computer. I love my Mini's but the ATV has taken over under the TV (along with some HD units) something I never thought I'd do. It wouldn't hurt if Apple had a remote keyboard with trackpad for the Mini. Having two devices to deal with the Mini is a pain, forcing you to go to some of the PC all in one keyboards which are never quite perfect.

I will grant you that XBMC and Plex are excellent reasons to run a Mini off a TV. Not having HDMI is a bit of a pain and having to pay a fortune to get a display port to hdmi digital cable (which uses a usb port) makes the price difference even worse.

I don't think Apple wants the Mini under a TV, even though it's fine there.

pmcd
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The HDD size is the least of its worries. The AppleTV HW needs a complete revamp and soon. Ion, which is an Atom CPU paired with Nvidia 9400M, would likely be cheaper and should be able to push 1080p. The AppleTV HW is just too antiquated to warranty a HDD capacity update and nothing else, but more importantly the market for media appliances has changed quite a bit since Apple first introduced it. The UI and features need some major changes to match the changes since the Take 2 (v2.0) release. It does what it does well and as advertised, but its surely not a device Id recommend going into 2010.

I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI.

1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing.

You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content?

pmcd
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

The Mini is excellent but is almost 3 times the price and it's a computer.

Its funny, it seems the same people that state that one should use a Mini as an HTPC despite the cost and setup involved are the same ones that typically troll here screaming that Macs are overpriced. Im not saying xwiredtva does that, not at all, but there are others on this forum that I clearly recall. Its ironic, really.

Have you installed Boxee? its good for playing Hulu, the only caveat is the lack of GPU acceleration with affects Hulu videos.

[QUOTE]I don't think Apple wants the Mini under a TV, even though it's fine there./QUOTE]
They dont. If they did they would have an HDMI cable and a proper UI for it, not the left for dead FrontRow and two video-out ports clearly for PCs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI.

With that I agree. Ive tried several and returned them all. They all sucked! However, the AppleTV GUI and OS need an overhaul at this point. Ill be very surprised if we dont see it by February.

Quote:
1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing.

I wouldnt say its over-rrated as it looks fantastic, but its certainly not a requirement for most people. Anything better than DVD seems to be sufficient for now, which appears to be giving more convenient media sources a leg up despite Blu-ray being significantly higher quality. Convenience usually wins.

Quote:
You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content

Usenet and torrents, I hear.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism;1509561
Have you installed Boxee? its good for playing Hulu, the only caveat is the lack of GPU acceleration with affects Hulu videos.

[



I wouldnt say its over-rrated as it looks fantastic, but its certainly not a requirement for most people. Anything better than DVD seems to be sufficient for now, which appears to be giving more convenient media sources a leg up despite Blu-ray being significantly higher quality. Convenience usually wins.

Yes, I tried xbmc, boxee on both the ATV and the Mini. We don't get Hulu up here so I used a proxy for a while. It's not really my thing. Already have a good satellite system and the Hauppauge HD PVR. I really liked Plex on the Mini and it could pretty well play anything. Just not sure what happened to change my feelings about the Mini. It's still hooked up to the TV but I use it mainly for computer things (and the Hauppauge device).

I realize the Apple TV is getting long in the tooth but I just really like it a lot. At the moment it's on the same TV as the Mini, a WDTV LIve and an MVix Ultio. There's an Asus O!Play that has moved to another TV. The point is these players are there to be used and for some odd reason it's the Apple TV that gets the most use by far. Even 720p main profile video on the ATV is very nice so that pretty well takes care of most of my stuff. The Asus player is actually quite nice in the way it handles subtitles. It's similar to the MVix Ultio in that it's based on a Realtek video chip. I don't know what to say about the WDTV Live. WD is better making hard drives. All these units are so far behind the ATV that it's not funny. If only Apple would take it more seriously.

The TV thing is tricky.

By the way, XBMC on the Apple TV is great unless you are into various skins. There's also an app called VideoDrive which lets you trick iTunes into thinking xvid files are H.264 and can be streamed, synced, etc... Pretty neat (supports metadata too). There are free ways of doing that but they aren't as convenient.

1080p torrents will eventually lead to isp's capping data transfers, and then the market for all these multi-codec players might just shrink.

Apple's approach with the Apple TV is essentially ok. It just needs to evolve.

Should have bought most of those players from places that take returns. Unfortunately....

pmcd
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

instructionals

That would be like Willem Dafoe and "symbology" .


>>I wonder who will actually get it<<
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The HDD size is the least of its worries. The AppleTV HW needs a complete revamp and soon. Ion, which is an Atom CPU paired with Nvidia 9400M, would likely be cheaper and should be able to push 1080p. The AppleTV HW is just too antiquated to warranty a HDD capacity update and nothing else, but more importantly the market for media appliances has changed quite a bit since Apple first introduced it. The UI and features need some major changes to match the changes since the Take 2 (v2.0) release. It does what it does well and as advertised, but its surely not a device Id recommend going into 2010.

The Apple TV is getting a revamp very soon
post #100 of 123
can't wait for 2010 I was gonna buy one in December though, now i am undecided\
Get A Mac.
Reply
Get A Mac.
Reply
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I agree with some of your points, but as the ownedr of 3 of those competing HD media players I feel the Apple TV is years ahead in terms of GUI.

1080p is over-rated. Only the Blu-Ray crowd seem obsessed with it. No TV show is broadcast that way. It's not needed and is basically a bragging rights thing.

You are hardly going to stream 1080p video over the internet, which rules out one reason for it from a rental point of view. Where do you expect to get the 1080p content?

pmcd


I have an Apple TV and I find the interface to be ugly, slow, and generally poor. It's not very 'Apple-like' either, as it's comprised mostly of a basic white font on a black background with simple white borders around things. Very poor.

The lack of 1080p is also an issue for me. Why shouldn't I be able to stream 1080p? I can do that right now on my Xbox 360, and have bandwidth to spare. (50mbit uncapped cable)

I think the Apple TV needs a total do-over. Faster hardware, 1080p, an all new MUCH prettier and more modern interface, an iTunes movie/TV subscription option, and most importantly of all - making it an open platform. I should be able to install apps for web streaming services, twitter etc with ease.

As it stands the X360 is a better media device than the Apple TV. Much better actually.
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

USB 3 isn't around the corner, and with Light Peak possibly coming available late 2010, we may not see it at all.

It isn't? Even though manufacturers are starting to put it on motherboards? Nobody's doing that with Light Peak. Between you and me I hope we are both right. USB3 for backwards compatibility, and Light Peak for faster external storage.

I haven't researched this but can Light Peak power external devices like Firewire and USB, or is it strictly a data transmission medium via fiber technology.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

The Apple TV is getting a revamp very soon

I hope so. Apples window for being to corner the living room appears to be shrinking. Then again, doing it right is better than doing it first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The lack of 1080p is also an issue for me. Why shouldn't I be able to stream 1080p? I can do that right now on my Xbox 360, and have bandwidth to spare. (50mbit uncapped cable)

On the current AppleTV, no. It cant handle it. The HW in the 360 is much more powerful than the appleTV. Now if the next AppleTV cant do 1080p Id be nonplissed.

Quote:
...and most importantly of all - making it an open platform. I should be able to install apps for web streaming services, twitter etc with ease.

I cant agree with making it an open platform. It runs OS X, Apple is not going to make that open. Or if you meant just making it like a Mac Mini so its a typical Mac, i cant agree with that either. No media appliance gets sold that way. They have a 10ft User Interface designed to be used with remote control.

I would like an easy way to install codecs as I know Apple doesnt want to get involved in potential patent and copyright issues there. I would also like to see an AppleTV SDK. I think that an App Store for the device could be what sets this media appliance apart from the rest. Netflix and Hulu streaming would be great, but I am doubtful of those.

Now that the iPhone and Touch have AppleTV access and the tablet may be useful in the living room as a reader, I think that a Safari browser would be a useful for those occasional lookups. How about using the iPhone to speak into the app, have it translated to text and the text searched in Safari on your HDTV?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

It isn't? Even though manufacturers are starting to put it on motherboards? Nobody's doing that with Light Peak. Between you and me I hope we are both right. USB3 for backwards compatibility, and Light Peak for faster external storage.

I haven't researched this but can Light Peak power external devices like Firewire and USB, or is it strictly a data transmission medium via fiber technology.

With Intel dropping any near term support, and possibly any support, that will be a major blow. Intel makes a good 50% of the mobo's for manufacturers. If they don't support it, then it won't be widely available on the brands people use most, and on many smaller brands as well. If Apple decides to not support it either, then it will have problems.

Light Peak is a wrench in the works. Something not seen by anyone. It could change the entire equation.
post #105 of 123
This makes me wonder if I should wait to purchase a new Macbook Pro. My current white Macbook is broken, and I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro this time, but if there's a possible updated one in the making, I dunno if I should just wait. :/ Heh.
post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

With Intel dropping any near term support, and possibly any support, that will be a major blow. Intel makes a good 50% of the mobo's for manufacturers. If they don't support it, then it won't be widely available on the brands people use most, and on many smaller brands as well. If Apple decides to not support it either, then it will have problems.

Light Peak is a wrench in the works. Something not seen by anyone. It could change the entire equation.

I see where Intel said they are not jumping on board, but to me it doesn't make much sense. Now that the specs are laid out how much effort is involved implementing it? I'm not a chip designer but wouldn't you want your chips to have the latest and greatest technology out there? Intel's statement to me sounds like they were caught with their pants down. I ask to someone more intelligent than I, why is Intel dragging their feet?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post

This makes me wonder if I should wait to purchase a new Macbook Pro. My current white Macbook is broken, and I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro this time, but if there's a possible updated one in the making, I dunno if I should just wait. :/ Heh.

The question is how long CAN you wait? I recently bought my daughter a MBP. She couldn't wait, because she had to go to the UK for school. Do you have some need the next few months, and can you fulfill it some other way until then?

That's the question you need to answer.
post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I see where Intel said they are not jumping on board, but to me it doesn't make much sense. Now that the specs are laid out how much effort is involved implementing it? I'm not a chip designer but wouldn't you want your chips to have the latest and greatest technology out there? Intel's statement to me sounds like they were caught with their pants down. I ask to someone more intelligent than I, why is Intel dragging their feet?

Intel was the one who came up with the USB 3 standard in the first place, and who has first silicon, so they were not caught with their pants down.

This move surprised everyone in the industry.
post #109 of 123
[QUOTE=Jerseymac;1508942]Or maybe they are just saying that to get you to pull the trigger on a new purchase! There is still time for all your requests to be fulfilled.

iPhone with flash and multitasking

Best to hold off for now. [/QUI
Mope only jail broken. Yeah it's free online but who needs that when jailbroken can also play whole seasons. Apple wants $1.99 to$2.99 for something thats already free. So unless youbjailbreak which gives you the full potential of this phone.

Peace be safe stay healthy. God Bless.
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Intel was the one who came up with the USB 3 standard in the first place...

I just hope Apple is ready with USB3.0 come January and the Pro machines are ready for an update. I have a feeling that Apple will stale on USB3.0 they way did on USB2.0 when they were trying to promote their FW400, despite expensive fees that pretty much ensured low adoption. If not USB3.0 early next year, then I hope they have FW1600/3200 ready, but I cant say Im comfortable making that prediction.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Mope only jail broken. Yeah it's free online but who needs that when jailbroken can also play whole seasons. Apple wants $1.99 to$2.99 for something thats already free. So unless youbjailbreak which gives you the full potential of this phone.

Peace be safe stay healthy. God Bless.

The only free shows are from sites like Hulu, and they arent actually free since they are ad supported. They also cant be downloaded. The only way to get free shows are from DVRs which allow you to transfer the MPEG-2 data to a PC, but that isnt exactly legal and certainly a PITA for many people who do possess the technical skill and completely out of reach for the average person. Apples offering is just an option, and actually one that Ive used myself now that it can be done via the iPhone. I even bought my first iTunes song only after the option was allowed on the iPhone simply because of convenience.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Mr. Schiller has just shattered all the wet dreams of prognosticators waiting for their quad-core MBPs (15" model too).

Anyone with foresight should have known that no quad-core would make its way into a MBP this year --at least not in the 13" and 15" units.

I wonder why they'd put new model numbers into their OS update though. 10.6.2, which hasn't been released yet has model numbers Macbook Pro 6,1 and 6,2, which currently don't exist. Given that the expected update to quad mobile chips would only appear in the highest Macbook Pros, it makes sense that only two new models would appear. They could come out in January but still, 10.6.2 has native Magic Mouse support so it should come sooner rather than later meaning unless they remove those references, the update will effectively announce new products 2 months in advance.
post #112 of 123
Just want to set the record straight here. I've been with AT&T for almost 10 years and got my 1st iPhone when it went to 3G.

I did not jail break it until I saw how expensive Tom Tom and seeing GV Mobile taken down pushed me over the edge then I saw that you could get it for free, if jailbroken. So I did. After nine years but now I had Tom Tom, gv mobile and got an invite last month. I added that number to my AT&T A list so now all calls from gv mobile are free. Have yet to find out how to get free text so I pay $15 a month which is ridiculous as I read a report it uses parts of the phone system that take up now band width.

Then I discovered free teethering, and this free program that let's you scroll up and down or sideways when not in an app to get to any page. I use this all the time and Tom Tom quite a bit.

It Aldo offers a flash player plug in for safari but it also let's you download full seasons via torrents which really isn't stealing as ABC lost seasons 1-5 are free on line yet again apple wants you to pay between 2-3 dollars PER episode for something that is free. So I don't think we wil ever see flash on the iPhone.

Just my opinion. Ymmv
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I have an Apple TV and I find the interface to be ugly, slow, and generally poor. It's not very 'Apple-like' either, as it's comprised mostly of a basic white font on a black background with simple white borders around things. Very poor.

The lack of 1080p is also an issue for me. Why shouldn't I be able to stream 1080p? I can do that right now on my Xbox 360, and have bandwidth to spare. (50mbit uncapped cable)

I think the Apple TV needs a total do-over. Faster hardware, 1080p, an all new MUCH prettier and more modern interface, an iTunes movie/TV subscription option, and most importantly of all - making it an open platform. I should be able to install apps for web streaming services, twitter etc with ease.

As it stands the X360 is a better media device than the Apple TV. Much better actually.

The interface is not slow. Something must be wrong with your device. 1080p streaming is crazy at this point. Those people transferring Blu-ray 10gig+ movies will be the reason everyone gets capped. Almost noone has 50megabit access with unlimited data transfers and consequently I wouldn't bother with it if I were Apple.

The XBox360 is a games' machine. Same for the PS3. They may be very nice, but I don't need a games' machine. If I had to choose one then I'd get a PS3 for the Blu-ray but since I don't want a dvd collection I'd rather not get it.

Making it an open platform. Yeah, right.

As for the XBox 360 being a better media device, does it run XBMC or do you have to use some PC to stream stuff to it? Not that familiar with it.

pmcd
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would like an easy way to install codecs as I know Apple doesnt want to get involved in potential patent and copyright issues there. I would also like to see an AppleTV SDK. I think that an App Store for the device could be what sets this media appliance apart from the rest. Netflix and Hulu streaming would be great, but I am doubtful of those.

Now that the iPhone and Touch have AppleTV access and the tablet may be useful in the living room as a reader, I think that a Safari browser would be a useful for those occasional lookups. How about using the iPhone to speak into the app, have it translated to text and the text searched in Safari on your HDTV?

Why do you need extra codecs? What is wrong with h.264? It scales nicely, is standard, etc... I can't see any reason at all to support xvid, dvix, wmv, etc....and mkv containers.

Easy way? For goodness sakes, it takes 10 minutes.

pmcd
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Why do you need extra codecs? What is wrong with h.264? It scales nicely, is standard, etc... I can't see any reason at all to support xvid, dvix, wmv, etc....and mkv containers.

Easy way? For goodness sakes, it takes 10 minutes.

pmcd

H.264 is nice, but I do use other codecs.

Are you saying that it would take ten minutes for the average Apple customer to figure out how it can be done by researching it online, getting a USB flash drive, figuring out how to removing the hidden U3 partition that has affected many trying to install Boxee and then getting the install itself complete? I don't think so.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #116 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

H.264 is nice, but I do use other codecs.

Are you saying that it would take ten minutes for the average Apple customer to figure out how it can be done by researching it online, getting a USB flash drive, figuring out how to removing the hidden U3 partition that has affected many trying to install Boxee and then getting the install itself complete? I don't think so.

Well you, not the average customer, said you wanted an easy way The average customer is not going to worry about multiple codecs anyway. They will use H.264 or WMV. Here's an alternative to Boxee/XBMC:

1- get usb flask, put into mac
2- downoad the ATV 3.0 OS (this is optional, but it's pretty nice)
3- download atvusb-creator from google sw
4- run 3 and use the dmg in 2 and don't select software menu, xbmc/Boxee
5- shut off ATV. Put in flash drive. Turn on and when it tells you shut off again
6- You now have sftp/ssh access so you can do whatever you like.
7- Intslall Perian 1.1.4
8- reboot

Done.

Now, your ATV will play anything (well not .mkv). To make it easier, buy VideoDrive ($15 or so) and this will, amongst other things, allow you to sync xvid,etc...sw to your ATV as though it were h.264 (no transcoding required). As a bonus it provides you with automatic meyadata searching and installation.


You don't need Boxee or XBMC and the ATV works the way it does in the iTunes environment. Of course you can also install XBMC but that's another few minutes.


Now, 10 minutes may be a bit of an exaggeration but it's really not that long to get the best media player available.

pmcd
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just hope Apple is ready with USB3.0 come January and the Pro machines are ready for an update. I have a feeling that Apple will stale on USB3.0 they way did on USB2.0 when they were trying to promote their FW400, despite expensive fees that pretty much ensured low adoption. If not USB3.0 early next year, then I hope they have FW1600/3200 ready, but I cant say Im comfortable making that prediction.

I dubt it. But also, the Mac Pro is the machine that needs it the least, because we can insert a card when it's really viable. Which means, when actual hardware is there that we can use.

I doubt that FW 3200 will be coming for Apple, or anyone else. A waste of time.

Quote:
The only free shows are from sites like Hulu, and they arent actually free since they are ad supported. They also cant be downloaded. The only way to get free shows are from DVRs which allow you to transfer the MPEG-2 data to a PC, but that isnt exactly legal and certainly a PITA for many people who do possess the technical skill and completely out of reach for the average person. Apples offering is just an option, and actually one that Ive used myself now that it can be done via the iPhone. I even bought my first iTunes song only after the option was allowed on the iPhone simply because of convenience.

Hulu is in trouble, some networks are prohibiting their stuff to be shown through it, and it seems likely that they will start charging.
post #118 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Just want to set the record straight here. I've been with AT&T for almost 10 years and got my 1st iPhone when it went to 3G.

I did not jail break it until I saw how expensive Tom Tom and seeing GV Mobile taken down pushed me over the edge then I saw that you could get it for free, if jailbroken. So I did. After nine years but now I had Tom Tom, gv mobile and got an invite last month. I added that number to my AT&T A list so now all calls from gv mobile are free. Have yet to find out how to get free text so I pay $15 a month which is ridiculous as I read a report it uses parts of the phone system that take up now band width.

Then I discovered free teethering, and this free program that let's you scroll up and down or sideways when not in an app to get to any page. I use this all the time and Tom Tom quite a bit.

It Aldo offers a flash player plug in for safari but it also let's you download full seasons via torrents which really isn't stealing as ABC lost seasons 1-5 are free on line yet again apple wants you to pay between 2-3 dollars PER episode for something that is free. So I don't think we wil ever see flash on the iPhone.

Just my opinion. Ymmv

So you're now stealing software, and you think that's ok enough to brag about here?

You have a low sense of morality.
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I dubt it. But also, the Mac Pro is the machine that needs it the least, because we can insert a card when it's really viable. Which means, when actual hardware is there that we can use.

I doubt that FW 3200 will be coming for Apple, or anyone else. A waste of time.

Hulu is in trouble, some networks are prohibiting their stuff to be shown through it, and it seems likely that they will start charging.

Good point on the Mac Pro, but i hope the MBPs get it. Intels wont support USB3.0 in their chips until 2011. Technical issues or trying to get LightPeak further along before they eventually support it? Im going with the former as LightPeak seems to be 5 years out at this point.

My concern for USB3.0 is with Apples staggered update cycle. If we dont get USB3.0 with the next Mac release and the next iPhone comes out in the summer, when many more devices and PCs will have support, would Apple include USB3.0 support in that iPhone even though no Mac can utilize it? Seems like the PC support needs to come before the accessory support. Though, most of Apples iDevices are used with PCs, but would Apple want the PC world to say that syncing your iPhone to a PC by Dell is 5x faster than on a Mac? I wouldnt think so.

Gotta love technological crossroads!


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So you're now stealing software, and you think that's ok enough to brag about here?

You have a low sense of morality.

Not bragging, just being informative. I started using the iPhone 3.0 Beta when it came out. Tethering was included and open on it. No need for any hack, jut turn it on and go. Once the official build came out it was off. I cant buy the access from AT&T.

You cant even turn on tethering when using WiFi. CANT EVEN TETHER WITH WIFI. So Installed the profile that allows me to tether (no jail breaking required). If AT&T offered the option I would pay for it, but they dont, so I will continue to make sure I have options for connecting remotely until they do offer it.

I also know people that have jailbroken just to try out apps, like the expensive GPS apps. IF you buy a stand alone GPS you can return it if it doesnt suit your needs. With software there are usually trial periods built, even for mobile apps. But Apple doesnt have a trial period, even though they already have the technology with exploding media, so buying a $100 app isnt something many want to do on a whim. Ive submitted a request for it.

However, Apple is pretty good about refunding your money if you dont like an app. Though I can see how that might be somewhat of a gamble for some.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #120 of 123
[QUOTE=solipsism;1512461]Good point on the Mac Pro, but i hope the MBPs get it. Intel’s wont support USB3.0 in their chips until 2011. Technical issues or trying to get LightPeak further along before they eventually support it? I’m going with the former as LightPeak seems to be 5 years out at this point./quote]

I'm not so sure about how many computers will come with USB 3. We're seeing it on one Asus hacker board. Whether more than a few companies offer it on their built systems shortly, is open to question.

I think that we'll see Light Peak sooner than later.

Quote:
My concern for USB3.0 is with Apple’s staggered update cycle. If we don’t get USB3.0 with the next Mac release and the next iPhone comes out in the summer, when many more devices and PCs will have support, would Apple include USB3.0 support in that iPhone even though no Mac can utilize it? Seems like the PC support needs to come before the accessory support. Though, most of Apple’s iDevices are used with PCs, but would Apple want the PC world to say that syncing your iPhone to a PC by Dell is 5x faster than on a Mac? I wouldn’t think so.

Gotta love technological crossroads!

As you know, I've been a supporter of USB 3. But if it looks that LP will supersede the physical interconnect that it uses for a multi format bus, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Not bragging, just being informative. I started using the iPhone 3.0 Beta when it came out. Tethering was included and open on it. No need for any hack, jut turn it on and go. Once the official build came out it was off. I can’t buy the access from AT&T.

That was a beta, and as you know very well, it's not supposed to be used anymore. Apparently, they must have forgotten to put a timer into the software, or someone has worked around it.

Quote:
You can’t even turn on tethering when using WiFi. CAN’T EVEN TETHER WITH WIFI. So Installed the profile that allows me to tether (no jail breaking required). If AT&T offered the option I would pay for it, but they don’t, so I will continue to make sure I have options for connecting remotely until they do offer it.

You know that it's wrong. The fact that it isn't offered yet is not an excuse.

Quote:
I also know people that have jailbroken just to try out apps, like the expensive GPS apps. IF you buy a stand alone GPS you can return it if it doesn’t suit your needs. With software there are usually trial periods built, even for mobile apps. But Apple doesn’t have a trial period, even though they already have the technology with exploding media, so buying a $100 app isn’t something many want to do on a whim. I’ve submitted a request for it.

The jailbreak because someone just wants to "try" software is some of the biggest BS I've ever heard, and you know it. There's a lot of software being pirated out there, and it's ALL on jailbroken phones.

Quote:
However, Apple is pretty good about refunding your money if you don’t like an app. Though I can see how that might be somewhat of a gamble for some.

Most iPhone software is so cheap to begin with that theres no excuse to cry if you don't like it. I mean, really, crying because you don't like a $3 app?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple says no more product introductions until next year