or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

post #1 of 187
Thread Starter 
Motorola and Verizon hope to slow the momentum of Apple's iPhone with next week's launch of the Motorola Droid phone, which will arrive equipped with a beta version of the new Google Maps Navigation.

The first Android 2.0-equipped smartphone will arrive on the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. next week, Verizon officially announced Wednesday. The news also coincided with the unveiling of Google's free Maps Navigation service, which will be a part of all Android 2.0 devices.

"This is an exciting announcement for Verizon Wireless, as the Droid by Motorola is the first device that we are bringing to market under our ground-breaking strategic partnership with Google," said John Stratton, executive vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. "Droid by Motorola gives customers a lifestyle device with access to more than 12,000 applications that will help them stay in touch, up to date and entertained, using the best 3G network in the country."

The Droid has a 3.7-inch screen with a width of 843 pixels. It is equipped with the Google Android mobile operating system, has a slide-out hardware keyboard, and can multi-task applications. It is the first in a line of Android-based handsets that Verizon hopes will compete with the success of the iPhone, exclusive to rival carrier AT&T.

The hardware is said to be slightly thicker than an iPhone 3GS. Internally, it runs a quick TI OMAP3430 processor. It will cost $199 with a two-year contract.

"Were proud to work with Verizon Wireless and Google on the first smartphone to feature Android 2.0," said Sanjay Jha, co-chief executive officer of Motorola and chief executive officer of Motorola Mobile Devices. "Droid by Motorola delivers a rich consumer experience with warp-speed Web browsing, a mammoth screen, and Motorolas expertise in design and voice quality. Combined with Android's open, flexible graphical user interface and the power of Verizon Wireless' 3G network, Droid is a smartphone that simply doesnt compromise."



During Apple's quarterly earnings call last week, executive Tim Cook said that he believes the iPhone remains multiple steps ahead of its competitors. Other platforms, he said, are still trying to catch up with the first iPhone launched in 2007.

Motorola has become aggressive in targeting the iPhone with its Droid advertising. A TV spot released last week mimics Apple's advertisements and product names with statements like "iDon't have a real keyboard" and "iDon't run simultaneous apps."

The Google Maps Navigation service, a part of the Droid and Android 2.0, was also unveiled Wednesday. The beta mobile application will offer 3D views, turn-by-turn voice guidance and automatic rerouting.

"Unlike most navigation systems, Google Maps Navigation was built from the ground up to take advantage of your phone's Internet connection," the company said.



The service will allow users to search by voice, offer live traffic updates, and integrates with the Google Maps satellite view and Street View. It also features a special user interface enabled when the hardware is hooked in to a car dock.
post #2 of 187
Hmmm...

This is looking like not a bad phone. Personally, it seems to me like the first competitor to come up with a reasonable product to challenge the iPhone. Will it be better? I doubt it. But it's good to see the competition catching up.
post #3 of 187
That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.
post #4 of 187
I expect to be bombarded with advertising from all sides during the World Series beginning tonight. Perfect timing for a war.
post #5 of 187
I am curious to see if Verizon has really changed it's culture in regards to Naziesque control. It's a decent phone, so we'll see.
post #6 of 187
Damn that Google Maps app looks awesome I want! (Maybe as a jailbreak app?) The android is slowly killing WinMo.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #7 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am curious to see if Verizon has really changed it's culture in regards to Naziesque control. It's a decent phone, so we'll see.

Hey, what works for Apple , works for Verizon. One is the largest music distributor control freak and one is the largest cell phone carrier control freak.
post #8 of 187
Droid = Pre Killer, not iPhone Killer.

And, how much of our digital lives are we willing to let Google have access to? If you look to their Maps Nav software for direction to Johnny's Bike Shop, are you willing to be peppered with ads for bicycles, helmets, and gear thru Google's ad services, mapping software, and mail platforms? Don't get me wrong, Google is great and they make some cool products. But folks, they make money by selling ads. Don't kid yourselves, everything else they do is about data mining to sell more ads and get more clicks.
post #9 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.

From what I've read Apple and Google are in talks to integrate this into iPhone's built-in Maps app. So yeah, it'll probably never come to the App Store.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
Reply
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
Reply
post #10 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

From what I've read Apple and Google are in talks to integrate this into iPhone's built-in Maps app. So yeah, it'll probably never come to the App Store.

Well, hopefully, Apple will be replacing the built-in Maps app with their own app, shortly.
post #11 of 187
I gotta wonder about the marketing sense of taking the HAL eye, and merging it with Terminator and Transformers styles, then using that as the primary iconography for this phone.

Do we really want a phone sold as an evil robot/computer?
post #12 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

And, how much of our digital lives are we willing to let Google have access to?

Google already knows all unfortunately. It will soon be bought by homeland security (if not already). If you notice Apple too uses Google Maps and default search for Safari.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #13 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey, what works for Apple , works for Verizon. One is the largest music distributor control freak and one is the largest cell phone carrier control freak.

And you stopped taking "THE PILLS" way too soon.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #14 of 187
I want an European GSM version
post #15 of 187
First off: Not Apple Related.

I can't wait to try out this device. It sounds really nice, and my husband (yeah, we just got married) has the new every two coming up next month. May just get him this phone if we decide its a good fit for him. But I won't say if I like it or not until I play with it, but it looks impressive.

Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #16 of 187
Another wannabe iPhone look alike. Anybody, who is not a techie, using the Android will find the user interface not as intuitive as the iPhone. It may have more features, but it will take reading the manual. The average person hates to read manuals. The hardware is getting slick, but too thick and the keyboard.

I think the Pre is a much more capable device and the UI was better than the Android. Got a lot of hype like the Android. I am long Apple, was long a small amount of Palm but dumped since I got in a little late. I am going to check out the Droid and see if Moto did any magic. Occasionally Moto does have a bout of creativity like with Razr.
post #17 of 187
Ah, look, Google can evidently dig into their pockets and dredge some maps of good precision up. Provided, they're hurt by the rejection of their applications and are well-paid by VZW. "No usage for guidance, no usage for guidance"...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #18 of 187
I was a Cingular/AT&T customer for eight years and dropped them for Verizon. After having the same phone with both carriers I waited two years to come back to AT&T. Why? Because the software on the phone with Verizon was like playing pong on a PS3. I even got out of my contract a month early after shaming them on the features that they kill on their phones. I am a proud user of an iPhone and will not look back. I laugh at the Droid commercials because I already know that the interface will badly altered from what Motorola intended.
post #19 of 187
So far Apple has integrated all of Google Maps functionality into the iPhone's Map app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.
post #20 of 187
If this is any good, it's more of a Pre killer. Feel bad for all those jumping off the cliff with Sprint and Palm. Though Motorola hasn't exactly been doing great before this.

Interesting and feverish battle in the smartphone sector two and a half years after the iphone introduction. It's about time.
post #21 of 187
Ah now we see why Google did not allow third party navigation apps to use Google Maps tiles on the iPhone. They were developing their own navigation system.
post #22 of 187
Lucasfilm owns the name "Droid".

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.
post #23 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Another wannabe iPhone look alike. Anybody, who is not a techie, using the Android will find the user interface not as intuitive as the iPhone.

Why is not as intuitive as the iPhone?
post #24 of 187
This seems like it is going to be a good phone and a worthy competitor to the iphone but of course that is yet to be determined. While I have been a mac/apple user since 1988, I am not a fanboy and I think the competition will be good for apple/att. What I would really like to see (rather than more cool apps, which will happen anyway) is a price war on the data plan. I think that if they ever got the cost down to a 1/3 or 1/2 of what it is now, they could sell boatloads of droids and iphones.

Win/win/win (that last win is for the customer).
post #25 of 187
3.7 display. The device seems slightly too big but not enough to be a deal breaker. Maybe its just the harder edges.
The resolution is nice, but how much does that help on such a small screen? The iPhone already has a pretty high PPI. I would like a crisper display but not at the expense of the battery life.
Cant wait to see the battery usage for this thing. Has Androids PM improved and will impressive HW affect the while thing?
I fear for WinMo, Palm and Sprint more than anyone else with this device.
Looking forward to some proper performance comparisons. The iPhone beat out the Pre in tests despite similar HW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.

There are free apps that come with the iPhone that you can buy on the App Store. Im sure they wouldnt be happy about it but that just means they need to step their game up if it does show up. I hope it does for the occasional time I want turn-by-turn.

Does Google Maps Naviagtion require the internet connection to load new maps, like on the iPhone, or is locally stored? If the former, then the App Store apps still has a leg up in some ways.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I was a Cingular/AT&T customer for eight years and dropped them for Verizon. After having the same phone with both carriers I waited two years to come back to AT&T. Why? Because the software on the phone with Verizon was like playing pong on a PS3. I even got out of my contract a month early after shaming them on the features that they kill on their phones. I am a proud user of an iPhone and will not look back. I laugh at the Droid commercials because I already know that the interface will badly altered from what Motorola intended.

Actually, I'm going to say that you're wrong on the interface alteration part. This phone was a joint work between Verizon, Google and Motorola from its initial development. So I'm willing to bet that what screens you've seen of this Droid is what will be in your hands on Nov. 6th. As with all Android-based phones, you can customize the GUI to suit your own tastes.

After seeing all the latest smartphones in Verizon's lineup, it seems that they've stopped screwing around with the interface as much as they used to do.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #27 of 187
Slightly thicker than an iPhone. Am I the only one that doesn't care how thin this thing is? Is this really a feature that anyone cares about? Give me more battery life. OK, you can't be too rich or too thin, but really, who wants to talk into a credit card?
post #28 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.

If your gonna license , they should have licensed the name "Yoda"- right?
post #29 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If your gonna license , they should have licensed the name "Yoda"- right?

I can see this as a promotion:

Free Lightsaber With Each "Yoda" Purchase!!
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #30 of 187
The more I read about the Droid, the more I'm starting to regret my decision to switch to AT&T for the iPhone! I Have to hand it to Verizon; after years of neglecting their phone offering, they're really coming around now and putting out a great looking lineup (on paper at least).

I'm really hoping Apple has something great cooking for iPhone 4.0:

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.
2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893
3. Notifications really need to be improved, or just allow multitasking already! Right now, if you have more than one set of notifications, it becomes unmanageable with each replacing the other!
4. Come up with a better solution for finding and opening apps. I have 4 pages worth of apps and it's ridiculous having to swipe back and forth all the time!
5. A better mail app is badly needed! I was just settle for a native Gmail app.
post #31 of 187
It uses the internet. Which has pluses and minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does Google Maps Naviagtion require the internet connection to load new maps, like on the iPhone, or is locally stored? If the former, then the App Store apps still has a leg up in some ways.
post #32 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I can see this as a promotion:

Free Lightsaber With Each "Yoda" Purchase!!

or better yet, get "Vader" as in- get me my "Vader" phone- NOW! The commercials would of course come replete with his theme.
post #33 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I was a Cingular/AT&T customer for eight years and dropped them for Verizon. After having the same phone with both carriers I waited two years to come back to AT&T. Why? Because the software on the phone with Verizon was like playing pong on a PS3. I even got out of my contract a month early after shaming them on the features that they kill on their phones. I am a proud user of an iPhone and will not look back. I laugh at the Droid commercials because I already know that the interface will badly altered from what Motorola intended.

Quick update:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...ct-coming-nov/

There's a video on the bottom showing this Droid in action. From the looks of it, Verizon hasn't touched what the GUI looks like.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #34 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I gotta wonder about the marketing sense of taking the HAL eye, and merging it with Terminator and Transformers styles, then using that as the primary iconography for this phone.

Do we really want a phone sold as an evil robot/computer?

Well, in Star Trek terms, you may think the Android you are getting is Data, but it's really Lor.
post #35 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I gotta wonder about the marketing sense of taking the HAL eye, and merging it with Terminator and Transformers styles, then using that as the primary iconography for this phone.

Do we really want a phone sold as an evil robot/computer?

I thought it looked more like a Godzilla trailer myself.
post #36 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

or better yet, get "Vader" as in- get me my "Vader" phone- NOW! The commercials would of course come replete with his theme.

Just like the PSP, offer an exclusive model that is black, has Vader's head laser etched on the back, and has a Vader-themed GUI!
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #37 of 187
The coolest phone with the most "wicked" features is USELESS if the underlaying information is crappy.

The accuracy of google's location information is awful, specially when it comes to finding businesses. It doesn't just affect small stores, even big chains like FedEx have completely outdated information with Google. Search for "FedEx 10024", and it will tell you about a FedEx location on 80th Street & Broadway in NYC that has been closed for more than a year now. I've given up on using Google Maps to find stuff. Unless you know the exact address, google maps is mostly a waste of time (and now gas).
post #38 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Slightly thicker than an iPhone. Am I the only one that doesn't care how thin this thing is? Is this really a feature that anyone cares about? Give me more battery life. OK, you can't be too rich or too thin, but really, who wants to talk into a credit card?

Thinness is one of the most important features of almost any product. Even cars are sold on thinness. Look at how the height of cars has gone down over the decades, even though taller cars are more comfortable in every way.

Samsungs new line of TVs is being sold on the basis of its thinness. The RAZR, the most popular phone line of all time, was sold on the idea of its being thin.

Let's not think that Apple originated the idea of thinness, they didn't.

But they use it well.

I have a silicone case for my iPhone which adds to the thickness. When I ask people why they don't get one, they usually tell me that it makes the phone thicker.

From people to TVs, thinness is "in".
post #39 of 187
Good to see the opposition is stepping up. The iPhone was miles above anything else when I got mine, but oh how the gap has closed! This, the N900 and HTC HD 2 look really impressive as of late. It'll be a tough decision come April...
post #40 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Slightly thicker than an iPhone. Am I the only one that doesn't care how thin this thing is? Is this really a feature that anyone cares about? Give me more battery life. OK, you can't be too rich or too thin, but really, who wants to talk into a credit card?

If you dont care about the thickness and want more battery life then get a Mophie Juice Pack Air. Its cheaper than a battery replacement and it doubles as a case. The included cable will charge both batteries and sync to iTunes without removing. With as much as I use my iPhone its definitely worth it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

The more I read about the Droid, the more I'm starting to regret my decision to switch to AT&T for the iPhone! I Have to hand it to Verizon; after years of neglecting their phone offering, they're really coming around now and putting out a great looking lineup (on paper at least).

I'm really hoping Apple has something great cooking for iPhone 4.0:

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.
2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893
3. Notifications really need to be improved, or just allow multitasking already! Right now, if you have more than one set of notifications, it becomes unmanageable with each replacing the other!
4. Come up with a better solution for finding and opening apps. I have 4 pages worth of apps and it's ridiculous having to swipe back and forth all the time!
5. A better mail app is badly needed! I was just settle for a native Gmail app.

1. I wouldnt say its stale, but I welcome a change up with v4.0 to revitalize the product.
2. That link you supplied as a great concept. I hope Apple adopts something similar.
3. Hell yes! This is my biggest issue. The notification was lacking when it came out, but PNS ahs made it worse. I want to be able to go back and see a list of all former notifications and what app sent them.
4. They have the home screen. Its fast and easy. What I want are folders so I can group certain apps together. The jailbreak versions just dont cut it.
5. Mail needs to aggregate the mail accounts. Its annoying to have to keep backing out and into accounts. I would also like rules at some point. When Im out, I have my Macs Mail AppleScript rule send me an IM to an account setup on Beejive IM if mail from a certain person. This puts the text overlay on my iPhone screen to let me know its urgent.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation