or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation - Page 4

post #121 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

mayeb, they said the cache is cleared, but the history is still there. I would have started with a clean phone. Who knows what else was running in the back that the fresh Droid was not. There is also the differences in network bandwidth in various places.

Yes, a simple page load doesn't mean nothing.

Another thing, screen aspect ratio in the Droid is very disturbing when I'm used to 3:2 aspect ratio
post #122 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

One thing's certain - At least we have some idea of when the Droid/Android 2.0 WILL support Flash, which is far more than one can say about the alternative choice.

iF A PRODUCT DOESNT FIT YOUR NEEDS THEN DONT BUY IT, BUT SAYING THAT IT SHOU;DNT FIT ANYONE ELSES NEEDS IS PATHETIC.

I dont want Flash on my phone. I wont be able to stream Netlfix or Hulu on Flash on such a slow device and it will use too much battery. Id rather have them build a proper app that uses HTTP Streaming. Flash has no upside for me. If it comes to the iPhone, then so be it, Ill be turning it off.

Quote:
And have you considered that the Droid is only marginally slower loading the page yet is supporting some 2.6 times the pixel/resolution of the iPhone?

And how is that going to help me if its slower and uses more power? You want more features and more impressive tech specs but you dont seem to look at how these affect other things.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #123 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Another thing, screen aspect ratio in the Droid is very disturbing when I'm used to 3:2 aspect ratio

Ill have to handle one to be sure, but the extra size and squared off design like it was built by Russians during the Cold War makes it look too large to be comfortable. The Pre is too small. The iPhone feels just right.
post #124 of 187
Quote:

Ein? I was talking about changing carrier withouth having to change terminal technology.

Which shiny objects?

No, you said that you have "more choices" --- but what kind of choices are they when all the prices are fixed.
post #125 of 187
Quote:

Hmm?

From my vantage point a display resolution of 854 x 480 pixels is not 'disturbing' in the least, just vastly superior to one of a mere 320 x 480.

But Hey! That's just me
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #126 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

No, you said that you have "more choices" --- but what kind of choices are they when all the prices are fixed.

No, the prices are not fixed. The link you have post it's not about price fixing, it's about raising prices after regulating call billing. It was changed from rounding to the upper minute to having to account only the second you use and the all the companies raised their price per second but they don't have the same price.

At Movistar I was payiing 0.18 /min, now I'm paying 0.08/min.

Quote:

Hmm?

From my vantage point a display resolution of 854 x 480 pixels is not 'disturbing' in the least, just vastly superior to one of a mere 320 x 480.

But Hey! That's just me

Mmm, I'm not talking about which screen is better, I'm talking about screen aspect ratios.
post #127 of 187
Quote:

I dont want Flash on my phone. I wont be able to stream Netlfix or Hulu on Flash on such a slow device and it will use too much battery. Id rather have them build a proper app that uses HTTP Streaming. Flash has no upside for me. If it comes to the iPhone, then so be it, Ill be turning it off.

I want flash if I can disable it and use it only when I need
post #128 of 187
Quote:

iF A PRODUCT DOESNT FIT YOUR NEEDS THEN DONT BUY IT, BUT SAYING THAT IT SHOU;DNT FIT ANYONE ELSES NEEDS IS PATHETIC.

And how is that going to help me if its slower and uses more power? You want more features and more impressive tech specs but you dont seem to look at how these affect other things.

Testing has found the Droid to successfully attain over 6 hours+ before requiring a recharge, which is far better than my iPhone 3GS (by more than 1.5 hours) even though my iPhone lacks (user defined) multi-tasking, and a display supporting some 2.69 times the screen resolution.

As stated before, even if the Droid were to require a charge, at least one has the option of 'popping' in a fresh battery in a couple of seconds - No Problem.

As far as your claim of the Droid being 'slower', you obviously have yet to read any of the reviews regarding the Droid's performance, so I'll just leave you to believe whatever makes you feel comfortable (regardless of it validity).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #129 of 187
Quote:

Testing has found the Droid to successfully attain over 6 hours+ before requiring a recharge, which is far better than my iPhone 3GS (by more than 1.5 hours) even though my iPhone lacks (user defined) multi-tasking, and a display supporting some 2.69 times the screen resolution.

As stated before, even if the Droid were to require a charge, at least one has the option of 'popping' in a fresh battery in a couple of seconds - No Problem.

As far as your claim of the Droid being 'slower', you obviously have yet to read any of the reviews regarding the Droid's performance, so I'll just leave you to believe whatever makes you feel comfortable (regardless of it validity).

1) 6 hours of what? 3G talk time? CDMA always wins that because voice is always over CDMA(2G) not EVDO. Droid has 10% less standby time. Well see how it fares in internet, video and audio usage soon enough. I wish it luck.

2) Few people by extra batteries, but you can easily plug in new battery to the iPhone if you are one of the few. I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air because I am one of those users but Id rather have that than the alternative. Probably still lighter and smaller than Droid but with more

3) I never claimed that the Droid was slower. I pointed out that the video test (which the iPhone by the way) was flawed for several reasons deeming it comparison.
post #130 of 187
Quote:

iF A PRODUCT DOESN’T FIT YOUR NEEDS THEN DON’T BUY IT, BUT SAYING THAT IT SHOU;DN’T FIT ANYONE ELSE’S NEEDS IS PATHETIC.

So is the restriction of features. As you said, you wouldn't bother using flash - but at least customers like DaHarder would be able to were the option included. Which we know it won't. Providing Apple were to implement it so you could turn it off - I'd say go for it! They are all about conserving battery life these days!

Also:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/n...kills-on-video
post #131 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

So is the restriction of features. As you said, you wouldn't bother using flash - but at least customers like DaHarder would be able to were the option included. Which we know it won't. Providing Apple were to implement it so you could turn it off - I'd say they are all about conserving battery life these days!

Apple isn’t constricting Adobe. Adobe has done this to themselves. If it’s Apple’s fault, then how did they magically keep Android, Pre, Blackberry and every other mobile OS from having a real verison of Flash installed? How did Apple make Adobe push the first releases back to some magical time in 2010? How can any of that be Apple’s fault?

If anything, the success of the iPhone and lack of support for an antiquated version of Flash for crappy browsers that couldn’t render a simple webpage correctly has set a fire under Adobe’s ass. Thank Apple for getting Adobe serious about Flash feasible for mobile devices. If Flash gets popular on these devices and they can streaming from sites like Hulu working then you can bet that Apple will have to follow suit because then, and only then, will Flash be a feature that may pull customers away from the iPhone.

PS: it’s about Mozilla got Fennec working but they may have missed the boat now that WebKit is the default choice over so many internet ready phones.
post #132 of 187
Quote:

Apple isnt constricting Adobe. Adobe has done this to themselves. If its Apples fault, then how did they magically keep Android, Pre, Blackberry and every other mobile OS from having a real verison of Flash installed? How did Apple make Adobe push the first releases back to some magical time in 2010? How can any of that be Apples fault?

If anything, the success of the iPhone and lack of support for an antiquated version of Flash for crappy browsers that couldnt render a simple webpage correctly has set a fire under Adobes ass. Thank Apple for getting Adobe serious about Flash feasible for mobile devices. If Flash gets popular on these devices and they can streaming from sites like Hulu working then you can bet that Apple will have to follow suit because then, and only then, will Flash be a feature that may pull customers away from the iPhone.

PS: its about Mozilla got Fennec working but they may have missed the boat now that WebKit is the default choice over so many internet ready phones.

I wasn't talking about Apple, I was talking about you. Just because you don't want flash doesn't mean others shouldn't have the option of using it on their iPhones. Regardless of the realities of the situation (which you touched upon above) if people want additional features on the iPhone that won't affect me, they're welcome to it.

To chip in my $0.02, I doubt Flash will come to the iPhone at all. It conflicts with the both the app store and H.264 and an open internet. Is the App store big enough for people to forget about flash-less browsing? Probably.
post #133 of 187
Can I download media content wirelessly with the Droid?

Like movies and tv shows?

edit:

nevermind!

"The Droid doesn't even have access to Verizon's V Cast media network"
post #134 of 187
Quote:

Apple isnt constricting Adobe. Adobe has done this to themselves. If its Apples fault, then how did they magically keep Android, Pre, Blackberry and every other mobile OS from having a real verison of Flash installed? How did Apple make Adobe push the first releases back to some magical time in 2010? How can any of that be Apples fault?

If anything, the success of the iPhone and lack of support for an antiquated version of Flash for crappy browsers that couldnt render a simple webpage correctly has set a fire under Adobes ass. Thank Apple for getting Adobe serious about Flash feasible for mobile devices. If Flash gets popular on these devices and they can streaming from sites like Hulu working then you can bet that Apple will have to follow suit because then, and only then, will Flash be a feature that may pull customers away from the iPhone.

PS: its about Mozilla got Fennec working but they may have missed the boat now that WebKit is the default choice over so many internet ready phones.

Apparently you're oblivious to the fact that there are many smartphones that support browser-level Flash. Pretty much ANY Windows Mobile device does Flash via the Skyfire browser.

As for your constant ranting about 'streaming' video - streaming video is possible on almost any phone, but is essentially made moot when one can receive live video broadcast (no Wifi required) on phones like the HTC Imagio with better video quality, and far less battery drain.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #135 of 187
Quote:

To chip in my $0.02, I doubt Flash will come to the iPhone at all. It conflicts with the both the app store and H.264 and an open internet. Is the App store big enough for people to forget about flash-less browsing? Probably.

I doubt it will either... personally, I think flash stinks.
post #136 of 187
Quote:

I wasn't talking about Apple, I was talking about you. Just because you don't want flash doesn't mean others shouldn't have the option of using it on their iPhones.

I said as much. Where exactly did I state that Flash shouldnt be on the iPhone simply because I dont want it? I never speak in those terms. I talk about what works for me, and technical, political and financial reasons why something may or may not happen in the tech world.
post #137 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Can I download media content wirelessly with the Droid?

Like movies and tv shows?

edit:

nevermind!

"The Droid doesn't even have access to Verizon's V Cast media network"

... and that's one omission that I welcome, though I do hope that V Cast TV (Live) appears as an app at some point.

It's brilliant!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #138 of 187
Quote:

Apparently you're oblivious to the fact that there are many smartphones that support browser-level Flash.

Cool, which ones play Hulu shows in 480p?
post #139 of 187
Quote:

Cool, which ones play Hulu shows in 480p?

Certianly NOT the iPhone...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #140 of 187
Quote:

Certianly NOT the iPhone...

You imply that there phones that can do decent Flash video , get me all excited for the one thing I want Flash for and then you having nothing to back it up.

PS: Is it okay that the iPhone works for me? Is it okay that the iPhone is best solution for my mobile computing to date? I have no problem with you not using the iPhone or any other Apple product. I’ve reading and analysing the Droid articles all day specifically I am interested in tech and know that ONE PRODUCT DOES NOT FIT ALL.
post #141 of 187
Quote:

You imply that there phones that can do Hulu 480p video , get me all excited for the one thing I want Flash for and then you having nothing to back it up.

FACT: No Such Implication Made
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #142 of 187
Quote:

I said as much. Where exactly did I state that Flash shouldnt be on the iPhone simply because I dont want it? I never speak in those terms. I talk about what works for me, and technical, political and financial reasons why something may or may not happen in the tech world.

Granted you didn't, and you are indeed quite careful with your wording. I was just a bit thrown off by that all caps sentence. Quite uncharacteristic (at least from what I've seen).

Postulant - I'm using clicktoflash because flash is dreadful on the Mac (and probably just as bad on Linux). I look forward to the day when I can fully browse the internet without propriety plug-ins. Maybe in my lifetime...
post #143 of 187
Quote:

FACT: No Such Implication Made

1) I mention the inability to play Hulus Flash videos.

2) You comment that many smartphones support browser-based Flash.

I changed my previous post. It does sound like you are saying there are phones can play flash video. Perhaps Im just overly hopeful that its true.
post #144 of 187
Quote:

Postulant - I'm using clicktoflash because flash is dreadful on the Mac (and probably just as bad on Linux). I look forward to the day when I can fully browse the internet without propriety plug-ins. Maybe in my lifetime...

Yep, i'm using ClicktoFlash as well...
post #145 of 187
Quote:

Could be an “out of the frying pan, into the fire” situation. Right now, we have ClickToFlash so we turn off the Ads easy since the annoying ones are Flash based. The simple JPEGs and GIFs are not big deal.

But if Flash gets replace with HTML/CSS/JS, especially using CPU heavy features like HTML5’s Canvas, we will require a much more intelligent system to disable these ads. Some of the new HTML5 stuff is cool but it can run your CPU higher than Flash currently does.

If you have Safari 4 you can open up Activity Monitor to see Safari CPU usage. I forget what version of Firefox is needed.

http://www.j4mie.org/misc/canvas/
http://www.phpguru.org/static/html5-canvas-examples
post #146 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Slightly thicker than an iPhone. Am I the only one that doesn't care how thin this thing is? Is this really a feature that anyone cares about?

I do. I can easily slip my iPhone in my pocket. If I tried that with my Treo people would think I was happy to see them or something

Quote:
Give me more battery life.

I can get a day out the iPhone easily. I have a charger in my car that I rarely use, and I have speakers with a dock connector at my desk where my iPhone generally sets as soon as I get into work. But even on the move as I am these days, iPhone battery life isn't an issue for me. I never understood the desire to have a phone that could run a week on a battery - is it really that hard to plug it in at night? For me, not really since I have a dock equipped clock radio and I use a white noise app while I sleep. I think Apple made a good compromise in the iPhone design and I really enjoy not having to have a holster or some other phone carrier.

Quote:
OK, you can't be too rich or too thin, but really, who wants to talk into a credit card?

But it's not a credit card. It's not overly thin (that would be the iPod Touch - yow!) or thick. It's a compromise and a darn functional one.

And for the few times I need more juice, I use the $24 (from Costco) Sanyo Eneloop universal battery pack that will charge any USB device (even my work *gag* blackberry).
post #147 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

But the cars are getting bigger. Honda Accord used to be classified as a mid size car, but now it is classified as a full size family sedan. Bigger car, longer leg room --- you redesign the seats a little bit --- you don't need the car to get taller to get comfortable.

It's not as comfortable getting in and out for one thing. Two door cars are a real pain as they get lower.
post #148 of 187
Quote:

Are you trying to pitch the Droid as being able to get 6+ hours of battery life with multiple apps simultaneously running in the background?
post #149 of 187
You don't think that Google had this planned for the last 2 years at the very least?

Really?...

Google also announced their music plan today, seems most missed it in the hype of Droid.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...-in-hollywood/

Partnered with
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...pace-and-lala/

Regarding the maps app
Article Name
Google Should Make Apple Beg For Maps Navigation
Link
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...ps-navigation/

Where's the cool factor?

Google has
Navigation
Books
OS
Mobile OS
Music Partners
Search
Browser
Email
Cloud Apps for Business and Los Angeles Ca signed on as a Google Partner over Microsoft today (30,00 city employees)
http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/66928257.html

You really don't think that today was a planned out?

Here's what Times Square will look like
Article Name
Verizon Wireless to take over Times Square with the Motorola DROID
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...otorola-droid/

Apple got a good Bitch Slapped today... How will they respond? Allow all of Googles apps onto the iPhone?
Might as well put a Google Logo on it at that point.

I don't want to hear about next June and the new iPhone.
I want to know why I shouldn't buy Droid on November 6th?

Busy day for Google. You Really Don't think all of this was planned? Steve needs to resign if he didn't see this coming.
post #150 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Are you trying to pitch the Droid as being able to get 6+ hours of battery life with multiple apps simultaneously running in the background?

I'm not 'pitching' anything, as I have no vested interest one way or another.

Question: Do the conditions under which the device achieved that (talk) time really matter when a 'certain competitor' can't approach that kind of battery autonomy even with everything (save the phone function) disabled?

No need to answer... They Don't
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #151 of 187
Quote:

No, the prices are not fixed. The link you have post it's not about price fixing, it's about raising prices after regulating call billing. It was changed from rounding to the upper minute to having to account only the second you use and the all the companies raised their price per second but they don't have the same price.

At Movistar I was payiing 0.18 /min, now I'm paying 0.08/min.

Mmm, I'm not talking about which screen is better, I'm talking about screen aspect ratios.

Allow me to cordially Welcome You To the 21st Century where actual wide-screen aspect ratios reign supreme
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #152 of 187
Yes you have to understand the conditions to understand why one is getting better battery life. It has nothing directly to do with iPhone and Android.

CDMA phones are able to get better battery life than GSM phones because CDMA cannot do voice and data at the same time, while GSM does.

Quote:

I'm not 'pitching' anything, as I have no vested interest one way or another.

Question: Do the conditions under which the device achieved that (talk) time really matter when a 'certain competitor' can't approach that kind of battery autonomy even with everything (save the phone function) disabled?

No need to answer... They Don't
post #153 of 187
The object is to have streaming video at good quality and the least battery drain as possible. HTTP Streaming is far better at this than Flash.

Quote:

As for your constant ranting about 'streaming' video - streaming video is possible on almost any phone, but is essentially made moot when one can receive live video broadcast (no Wifi required) on phones like the HTC Imagio with better video quality, and far less battery drain.
post #154 of 187
Google launches music search

Apple is putting an iPhone app in the store that is Google's new music store.

I wonder why Google planned all of this for one day?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...earch-launched

The Apple Store App waiting for approval.
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/28...ng-iphone-app/
post #155 of 187
Well. let's see if making software and not the devices works as well for Google as well as it does for Microsoft.

This is the one thing Apple has over just about every other device out there with exception of maybe the Zune and that didn't really work MSFT either.

I don't know, Google is just a data mining company anyway.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #156 of 187
Quote:
I don't want to hear about next June and the new iPhone.
I want to know why I shouldn't buy Droid on November 6th?

Busy day for Google. You Really Don't think all of this was planned? Steve needs to resign if he didn't see this coming.

You don't need a reason to do anything just go and buy what you want and have fun.
Do you think Apple need to bring out a new phone everytime a competitor does and since when was Steve Jobs the all seeing all knowing god of the technology world? You can't stifle progress and I'd rather have Google/apple in competition than the pathetic offerings from Microsoft over the last decade or so.

Whist your trolling I might add that your wasting your time trying to manufacturer an apple vs google war. Most Apple fans I know are equally open to Google also. It's called healthy competition.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #157 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You don't need a reason to do anything just go and buy what you want and have fun.
Do you think Apple need to bring out a new phone everytime a competitor does and since when was Steve Jobs the all seeing all knowing god of the technology world? You can't stifle progress and I'd rather have Google/apple in competition than the pathetic offerings from Microsoft over the last decade or so.

Whist your trolling I might add that your wasting your time trying to manufacturer an apple vs google war. Most Apple fans I know are equally open to Google also. It's called healthy competition.

1) Im pretty sure ILoveFootball is the new name for NonVendorFan, also previously known as SeahawkFan. Which means your advice to have fun just isnt going to happen with such an angry person.

2) This phone, like the Zune, will be compared to Apples products but will only eat profit and marketshare from other companies.
post #158 of 187
Hmm, I was just thinking of adding that user name to my ignore list along with nonvendor fan, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

1) Im pretty sure ILoveFootball is the new name for NonVendorFan, also previously known as SeahawkFan. Which means your advice to have fun just isnt going to happen with such an angry person.

2) This phone, like the Zune, will be compared to Apples products but will only eat profit and marketshare from other companies.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #159 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Here's my question to you. The phone hasn't really been reviewed by any of the major sites, much less the average user. How do you know that the iPhone is the "better" phone of the two for you personally?

I'm a bit annoyed with people do this when they haven't had the chance to actually use the other device. Let it go on sale, play with it, and then if it's truly worse, then it's worse.

That's simple.

First and foremost I'm a Mac user. The iPhone is rock solid with the Mac so everything just plain works whereas the Android requires several additional programs.

Second, I've seen enough of the two interfaces to know that I like both but I still give the iPhone the edge.

Third, Currently there are more useable apps available for the iPhone although that will likely change.

So for me I still would prefer the iPhone but could accept the Android at least for now.

I just wish that Apple would announce when they would make the iPhone available to Verizon but we know they won't. Personally I think it's in their best interest to do so as it would take some of the wind out of Androids sails because there are many that would likely wait if they knew for sure the iPhone was coming next June or July. Without that knowledge many will likely move to the Droid.

What I don't want to do is switch to AT&T, thus loosing my 15 year seniority with Verizon, then have the iPhone come out next Summer. Since I've not done a phone upgraded for 5 even if I get a Droid now I fairly sure I can get Verizon to give me the iPhone at the lower price next summer.
post #160 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes you have to understand the conditions to understand why one is getting better battery life. It has nothing directly to do with iPhone and Android.

CDMA phones are able to get better battery life than GSM phones because CDMA cannot do voice and data at the same time, while GSM does.

The problem with that kind of reasoning is that the chipsets are no longer the biggest energy suckers now --- it's been the LCD screen for a long time.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation